Sep 2011
sushiisawesome said:
Double post is necessary here.
REJOICEREJOICEREJOICEREJOICE
hell yes

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 6, 2015 12:25 PM

Jul 2013
Super hyped for Sen being localized.
Also:
New One is coming

More to be hyped for.
Jun 6, 2015 1:03 PM

Sep 2011
Soul-Master said:
Super hyped for Sen being localized.
Also:
New One is coming

More to be hyped for.
im hyped, but man what the fuck is the name even mean. Im ok with a female protagonist even though she looks like a genderbent jude, i just hope they dont give up romantic subplots because both zetsiria and xillia apparently cop out on them, and i wouldnt mind seeing the romance through the female protagonist anyway

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 6, 2015 2:42 PM

Jul 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:

im hyped, but man what the fuck is the name even mean. Im ok with a female protagonist even though she looks like a genderbent jude, i just hope they dont give up romantic subplots because both zetsiria and xillia apparently cop out on them, and i wouldnt mind seeing the romance through the female protagonist anyway

Yeah well... there has never been much meaning in the names, saving a few exceptions here and there. I gave up on making sense of it.
Well, a Jap interview talked about all kinds of environments and especial focus on the MC. Like that the she is female, a bit of freshness to the series can never hurt.
I read about her being a pirate. Already anticipating One Piece DLC costumes.

mugi said:
It's tiring to know that the male and female mc are going to have a preschooler romance plot in the games, every damn time. So I'd rather not.
In Xillia, it made somewhat sense since Milla wasn't very human to begin with and Jude was bland as hell, so why would you romance him.
And in Zetsiria there's more absent than just romance.
Anyway, I wonder when they're trying to improve and innovate on the series more, in the recent years, they released kind of unforgettable copy of copy after another. They announced Xillia to be new like that but it wasn't really.

Anyway, DQ Heroes looks fun.

It is tiring, though taking out Xillia, last Tales games didn't have romance between Male MC and Female MC. I guess some sort of romance is unavoidable for most RPGs to have more drama.
The series has gotten a bit stale, and the DLC approach Bamco has taken doesn't really help. Xillia did change a few things though. The two protagonist and the setting was much different than previous games.
Jun 6, 2015 5:45 PM

Apr 2012
Honestly wish that Team Destiny or Team Symphonia work on it, I miss the more complicated storylines and (dare I say it) better characters. I haven't felt the franchise was what it used to be since Vesperia (though Xillia 2 was admittedly a step in the right direction).

Gameplay should be what we've come to expect, I don't expect it to be as amazing as Hearts or Graces' battle systems, but should be fun enough to play.

And as for romance, I prefer the developers not use Xillia as an example (though to be fair, the other main characters were more interesting than our main couple) and stay as far away as humanly possible from how romance was treated in Graces f.

Symphonia and Hearts is as good as the romance elements in Tales get, though I'd argue that Abyss and Vesperia were great at being subtle about it.

As for the female main character, I definitely don't mind but I honestly hope Bandai don't chicken out and toss in a second main male character. Come on Bandai, show some guts, stop being cowards and treat the female lead as secondary *cough*Xillia*cough*.

So yeah, I'm cautiously excited for this one.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 7, 2015 8:45 AM

Apr 2012
mugi said:
Apparently more Zes by Ufotable http://animeanime.jp/article/2015/06/07/23591.html

Yep, even more hype.
I like that ufotable are adapting video games now, this can lead to some great stuff in the future.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 7, 2015 7:24 PM

Jul 2013
Check the tag for Berseria on Tumblr. They are on fire about the attire of the main character.
Jun 12, 2015 5:06 AM

Apr 2012
Soul-Master said:
Check the tag for Berseria on Tumblr. They are on fire about the attire of the main character.

Yeah, pfft.

Tales must be sexist like hell to men then.

Seriously though, these are some of the same people who like Lightning from FF13 and called her "empowering".
I could care less what they think.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 12, 2015 9:07 AM

Feb 2008
So uh.. Tales of Zestria is coming to PC? How was that game? Is that the game where the dev had to apologize for not including some waifu character in the whole story?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 12, 2015 9:26 AM

Dec 2007
ZetaZaku said:
So uh.. Tales of Zestria is coming to PC? How was that game? Is that the game where the dev had to apologize for not including some waifu character in the whole story?

More like not showing her as much time as the anime special had promised... Or something like that.

I guess I will be playing this one. I really like Tales of Phantasia (the first game back then on the SNES era) so I'm curious what the saga has become in these past 20 years.

Yeah I haven't played any other title. ( I watched Symphonia and Abyss anime)
Jun 12, 2015 11:18 AM

Apr 2012
moichispa said:

You...haven't played any other title?
That's odd.
I find it odd that you started from Phantasia as well.
You could play Symphonia, it's a prequel to Phantasia (by 4000 years).

ZetaZaku said:

I'm really worried about sales as well, PC may have "better graphics" and "better controls" (anyone who knows anything about me knows I hate the "PC master race" with a burning passion), but wow is it incredibly difficult to sell anything on (everyone pirates on PC, it's much harder to do that without sacrifice on a console).

I'm still buying it on PS3, of course. Too much of a hassle to use a computer for games.

mugi said:
Alisha was kinda advertised as MC but she leaves the game after the intro for no reason or something like that. Heard the game wasn't great overall either.

I heard that Zestiria has the feeling that many fans (myself included) missed from Tales games since Vesperia. How true or false that is, I have absolutely no idea until I play the game myself.

It definitely seems that the general consensus is that it's better than Graces f and Xillia, which is more than enough for me.

And the whole Alisha fiasco was dumb as hell. Seriously guys, just because a character is around at the beginning (in any given story) doesn't mean she'll necessarily be around near the end.

The Tales fanbase gives me such a headache sometimes...
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 12, 2015 1:31 PM

Feb 2008
The problem is that a lot of PC players are really entitled, and wont just accept any ports. It's a problem if it runs worse than the console counterpart. If it runs and looks the same, no issues here. Additional config is always welcome but not necessary for me. Can't expect some 'niche" games to go all out when developing a port for a platform that won't even buy enough.

About the girl, I guess it's hard to understand them since I wasn't following the initial reveals for the game, so it's absolutely irrelevant who the characters are in my case. I guess maybe it was like Metal Gear Solid 2, where everyone thought they would be Snake, but ended up playing as Raiden.

Jun 12, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 2012
sushiisawesome said:

I'm really worried about sales as well, PC may have "better graphics" and "better controls" (anyone who knows anything about me knows I hate the "PC master race" with a burning passion), but wow is it incredibly difficult to sell anything on (everyone pirates on PC, it's much harder to do that without sacrifice on a console).

Lets not use the pirate = lost sale fallacy, I mean we as anime watchers should know that best. How many of the anime we pirate would we really buy if we couldnt pirate them?

Its also not true that everybody pirates on PC. Yes priacy is higher than on console but far from everybody pirates. Recent News for example is that out of 4 Million Copies over 1.3 Million Copies of Witcher 3 where sold on PC, and Witcher 3 is one of the easiest games to pirate. So yeah lots of people will buy your Games on PC if you do it right and if it happens to fall into alot of PC players taste range.

And thats exactly why I think Tales of Zestria probably wont sell that much. PC isnt exactly known as a JRPG stronghold, most JRPG fans interested in the game probably already have it on Ps3. Doubt there are many pc-only JRPG fans. And this wont be the game to pull people to JRPGs either.

But saying that the game wont sell on PC because of piracy is simply BS and is an argument that just annoys me greatly. PC usually sells less per title because its a manyfold more competitive and even oversaturated market with a much higher variety of tastes and products.
Jun 12, 2015 4:02 PM

Jul 2013
Baki, in every post of yours I read it in a muffled voice due to the helmet. :)
Jun 12, 2015 9:05 PM

Jul 2013
Thing with Alisha is, she had DLC content for her, a pre-order MA... if you bought that, tough luck.
And sorry, but they are right to be angry. She was constantly advertised as a major part of the game and her role in the story is pretty small...
Well, I found Zestiria to be pretty bad in many aspects, regardless of Alisha.
Jun 12, 2015 9:14 PM

Sep 2011
sushiisawesome said:

It definitely seems that the general consensus is that it's better than Graces f and Xillia, which is more than enough for me.
actually completly oppossite, the general consensus is that its the worst game in the entire franchise including the infamous tempest and symphonia 2
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00O9SR9NK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

apparently the game as a whole has alot of problems outside of the heroine fiasco, im still gonna try it for myself when it comes out but im not keeping my high expectations, and i swear if this game kills western releases for tales games(which given the overwhelmingly bad press it might) ill fucking despise this game and everything it stands for. Apparently zestiria came close to killing the franchise and it even resulted in detah threats being put on the director and voice actors having to publically apologize, its kind of insane how hated the game is, not even FFXIII caused this much outrage

that said, i recall them saying they might just make the allicia dlc free for the western releases
JizzyHitlerJun 12, 2015 9:20 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jun 12, 2015 11:51 PM

Aug 2009
baki502 said:

And thats exactly why I think Tales of Zestria probably wont sell that much. PC isnt exactly known as a JRPG stronghold, most JRPG fans interested in the game probably already have it on Ps3. Doubt there are many pc-only JRPG fans. And this wont be the game to pull people to JRPGs either.

But saying that the game wont sell on PC because of piracy is simply BS and is an argument that just annoys me greatly. PC usually sells less per title because its a manyfold more competitive and even oversaturated market with a much higher variety of tastes and products.

Also, given the fact that the Tales series is big mainly in Japan and niche everywhere else could contribute to it not selling very well either. PS3 is still the ideal platform to release JRPGs in; 360 for bullet hell shooters, etc. etc. Still, by way of word of mouth or general fan interest, a JRPG can find itself in a rare situation where it sells better on PC than the original system it was released in (case in point, Valkyria Chronicles).

But yeah, JRPGs don't exactly scream "BEST PLAYED ON PC," since most people will prefer to play it on a console instead.
Jun 13, 2015 3:28 AM

Apr 2012
dietmango said:
Still, by way of word of mouth or general fan interest, a JRPG can find itself in a rare situation where it sells better on PC than the original system it was released in (case in point, Valkyria Chronicles).

But yeah, JRPGs don't exactly scream "BEST PLAYED ON PC," since most people will prefer to play it on a console instead.

In case of Valkyria Chronicles I think its because of its tactical RPG gameplay that is similar to XCOMs. Probably attracted alot of people that dont usually liked JRPGs but played the game for its gameplay. Maybe it won a few of them to the JRPG genre but for most it probably was a one time dabble into it.

But Tales of Zestiria doesnt seem to have anything like that. Seems like a standard JRPG to me.

But yeah word of mouth is actually so much more important on PC, its quite a big factor.
Jun 13, 2015 6:23 AM

Apr 2012
Holy hell I have a lot to respond to.
*takes a deep breath*
Here goes nothing...

baki502 said:

Lets not use the pirate = lost sale fallacy, I mean we as anime watchers should know that best. How many of the anime we pirate would we really buy if we couldnt pirate them?

Different industries, different financial conditions. Most anime fans live in places (myself included) where we can't buy that much anime even if we wanted to. We literally only have one store that sells anime properly here in Jordan, and for the record, the store is a massive success, there are even people who come from Saudi Arabia and buy anime/manga while passing by on vacation. No joke.

With gaming, games are available EVERYWHERE. PS3, Xbox, PS4, PSVita, you name it and you'll probably find those games in stores, especially if you live in the West. If people want to buy games so bad, they sure as hell can buy them (assuming its popular enough here). The problem is that consoles aren't selling anywhere near as well as before, most people don't bother keeping up with games on consoles and simply decide to buy PCs and upgrade them.

This is an actual problem because game companies are not making nearly as much money as they once used to, people aren't interested in supporting the industry and simply want to see it dead (I've lost count of how many PC gamers told me that they wish consoles would die away), and the more niche markets are dying out.

Though indie games are incredibly addictive. Yeah, I play games on PC too, I just happen to usually buy them unless they're not available.

baki502 said:

Its also not true that everybody pirates on PC. Yes priacy is higher than on console but far from everybody pirates. Recent News for example is that out of 4 Million Copies over 1.3 Million Copies of Witcher 3 where sold on PC, and Witcher 3 is one of the easiest games to pirate. So yeah lots of people will buy your Games on PC if you do it right and if it happens to fall into alot of PC players taste range.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I know is pirating Witcher 3.
If anything, 1.3 million is a dismal number for such a popular game. That proves my point, PC is not an easy console to sell on no matter how mainstream a game is.

baki502 said:

I disagree. Tales of Graces f, with all of its flaws, did a fantastic job bringing in people into JRPGs. There is a new audience that is actually interested in playing JRPGs with the new generation (especially after how dead old gen was), and the Tales games have casual appeal while also being incredibly fun for older fans.

Yeah, Graces f was a PS3 game but it did the job quite well.

Of course, hardly any PC-only JRPG fans exist. I don't think any actually exist, on second thought...

And a lot of fans are happy that it's coming on PC, so it will sell decently from those folks, I think. I'm just not sure about the rest of the PC community in other spots in the world. For all I know, it could be a massive success.

baki502 said:

I'm just wondering if you actually know how many people pirate on PC.
I don't know how it is in the West, but here it's absolutely staggering.
Though I revoke my earlier statement, thinking about it more carefully you never know how things play out.

baki502 said:

But yeah word of mouth is actually so much more important on PC, its quite a big factor.

I don't think we'll have problems there. The Tales fanbase is a very, very talkative fanbase.
Then again, so is every fanbase.
I guess it'll go down to how good the game is, as well as people being willing to buy it.

NotJizzyHitler said:
sushiisawesome said:

actually completly oppossite, the general consensus is that its the worst game in the entire franchise including the infamous tempest and symphonia 2
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00O9SR9NK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

apparently the game as a whole has alot of problems outside of the heroine fiasco, im still gonna try it for myself when it comes out but im not keeping my high expectations, and i swear if this game kills western releases for tales games(which given the overwhelmingly bad press it might) ill fucking despise this game and everything it stands for. Apparently zestiria came close to killing the franchise and it even resulted in detah threats being put on the director and voice actors having to publically apologize, its kind of insane how hated the game is, not even FFXIII caused this much outrage

that said, i recall them saying they might just make the allicia dlc free for the western releases

Well, I'm mainly saying what I heard from Western fans.
I'm keeping an open mind and trying the game out with as little bias as possible.
Though come on, Tempest was a level of awfulness that literally cannot be surpassed.

Dammit, you guys are confusing me to hell and back in retrospect.
Are we hyped for this game or treating it like another FF13 already?
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 13, 2015 7:26 AM

Apr 2012
sushiisawesome said:

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I know is pirating Witcher 3.
If anything, 1.3 million is a dismal number for such a popular game. That proves my point, PC is not an easy console to sell on no matter how mainstream a game is.

And I dont know of anyone at all who is pirating it here...

sushiisawesome said:

I'm just wondering if you actually know how many people pirate on PC.
I don't know how it is in the West, but here it's absolutely staggering.
Though I revoke my earlier statement, thinking about it more carefully you never know how things play out.

I think it really is different. I know because I have romanian roots and I know that my family member in romania never buy games. I dont know of anybody there buying actual games, its almost culturally ingrained to pirate them. But you see, those are not lost sales. If they couldnt pirate them they wouldnt buy games. Hell most of them play on really old PCs or some mid-range laptops, they often dont even have the money to run the newest games.

Here in Austria however its a vastly different story. The majority of PC gamers I know personally, buy all their games. A few priate yes, but they are far from the majority and they do buy games too, usually multi player. Pirating is also used often for a "demo" of sorts, for games they arent sure about so they dabble into. The Steam refund system might put a hold to that as you basically gained a 2h demo to every game now. We will see.

Either way yes, piracy is a thing but I very much doubt it causes that much real damage. The reasons for games selling less on PC I have already stated, but its certainly not mainly piracy. There are not that many people that pirate out of principle. Most do it for their lack of money or lack of deep interest in the game.

In fact interest plays a bigger role than you think. Many PC gamers in the West myself included buy games they arent even that interested in, in sales. Because while those are games that maybe I didnt even know until 3 seconds ago when I discovered it in the sale, it looks slightly interesting and it costs 2€. Bam bought. Nobody would be willing to pay 15€ for it tough as it was usually intended. So we end up with dozens and hundreds of games we havent even installed yet, simply out of impulse buys.

And well getting high on PC Gamers priority list is simply hard because of the huge amounts of competition. On consoles you have a few games every year competing for the gamers attention and interest on PC you have thousands.

And I tell you even if anime had a huge availability, piracy wouldnt sink much. You really think Ventris would buy all the LN trash he watches? Or any of the other members? Availability play a role yes, but its not the game changer.

What could however sink anime piracy are good and encompassing streaming services. If you already pay for a subscription you can watch the trashy LN show on it, nothing to loose. Or if they sold those shows to the same low prices, as they sell games.

Piracy is a much more complex issue than to simly attribute it to one factor like availability. Alot of bigger and smaller factors contribute to every pirates motivation.

Also lets not forget that on consoles there are used games and game lending. Both things that while legal, are for the dev the same as piracy, as they never see any money for that.
baki502Jun 13, 2015 7:35 AM
Jun 13, 2015 8:34 AM

Dec 2007
sushiisawesome said:
moichispa said:

You...haven't played any other title?
That's odd.
I find it odd that you started from Phantasia as well.
You could play Symphonia, it's a prequel to Phantasia (by 4000 years).

I don't have any consoles except for a SNES so console gamings is not a option for me right now (I played phantasia when Shymphonia was released on a emulator). I tried played symphonia on emulator too but I had problem with the bios and the world map didn't stay quiet enough for me to play

But I'm not going to claim the Pc master race stuff, consoles are great if you like a lot videogames you should definitely get one. While I like a Jrpgs a lot but until recently (maybe ps3 gen) there weren't that many tittles for a single console so it was a burden having to think which one to get .

At least here in Europe before the Ps3/4 releases of graces and Zestrina everything was a mess. Shymphonia was Gamecube, Eternia PSP, phantasia GBA, Vesperia Xbox, abyss 3DS... are you asking a Tales fan to buy a console for a game?

Of course piracy exist but I think people will still buy the game if they like it. Long time ago there was a game I liked a lot, it was called Age of empires II which back then was known as the game everybody pirated but at the same time it was a best selling game as well. Years after they rereleased it and now they even had it released on steam. Of course if you're selling a not very good game with zero replay value it won't get great sales but if you're selling something nice on a good price people will buy it. Not sure if Zestrina will be like this but who knows.

From now I'm happy I get to play a Tales of game after so many time.
Jun 13, 2015 11:18 AM

Jul 2013
sushiisawesome said:

There is a new audience that is actually interested in playing JRPGs with the new generation (especially after how dead old gen was), and the Tales games have casual appeal while also being incredibly fun for older fans.

The JRPG that will get more people interested in playing JRPGs will probably be Persona 5. Persona 4 was a huge success and the release of Golden helped more people play it too. People are excited (and hungry) for what the next experience will be and P5 looks like it's going to be a hit.

What do you guys think?
Nagisa33Jun 13, 2015 11:23 AM
Jun 13, 2015 11:35 AM

Apr 2012
moichispa said:

At least here in Europe before the Ps3/4 releases of graces and Zestrina everything was a mess. Shymphonia was Gamecube, Eternia PSP, phantasia GBA, Vesperia Xbox, abyss 3DS... are you asking a Tales fan to buy a console for a game?

A console for a game? There is Symphonia Chronicles, Xillia 1 and 2, Graces f and Zestiria on the PS3. That's without all the great games already out on the PS3, not including HD collections of all time classics like Devil May Cry, God of War, Metal Gear Solid(don't buy Silent Hill's HD collection though)...you get the gist.

There's the Zelda games, MegaTen games, Fire Emblem, Pokemon games and Mario games on the 3DS as well.

I literally only keep my Xbox for Vesperia, if a remake ever comes out then I'm selling it. Never gave my Xbox much love anyway, not enough JRPGs on it.

And I need to make this clear; when did I ever say that people should buy a console for ONE game?

If you can't afford it atm then I have nothing against you, it's people who have the money and choose to pirate on PC that I look down on.

Of course, I like a lot of games so I have many consoles to play said games.

I do agree that it's inconvenient like heck to have so many Tales games on so many different consoles. I don't get Bandai when they do that.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 13, 2015 11:52 AM

Apr 2012
Nagisa33 said:
sushiisawesome said:

There is a new audience that is actually interested in playing JRPGs with the new generation (especially after how dead old gen was), and the Tales games have casual appeal while also being incredibly fun for older fans.

The JRPG that will get more people interested in playing JRPGs will probably be Persona 5. Persona 4 was a huge success and the release of Golden helped more people play it too. People are excited (and hungry) for what the next experience will be and P5 looks like it's going to be a hit.

What do you guys think?

Could be. Persona 3 and Persona 4 were definitely major hits that (love them or hate them) helped get a LOT of people into JRPGs.

Persona still has a very niche appeal though, I've known people who didn't play it because they heard of it having a

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are banned in a good portion of the Middle East as well, so uh, yeah. Not popular choices for getting people into JRPGs in this region of the world.

I would argue that Tales is a better introduction simply because it has the cliches of the genre while still being something people can love and adore. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel fits into what I'm thinking about as well, but that's nowhere near as well known as the Tales games.

The Persona games are too unorthodox in many ways from other JRPGs, even within MegaTen. Though I can honestly say that if there was ever a game that can popularize JRPGs to hell and back, maybe as much as Final Fantasy 7, Persona 5 is definitely it.

An interesting point though. I never thought of Persona 5 potentially being that one game.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 13, 2015 12:53 PM

Jul 2013
Essay about how Tales and the video games industry is sexist

How did this people came to be? What did we do to deserve having this virus infestection?
Jun 13, 2015 3:42 PM

Apr 2012
Soul-Master said:

How did this people came to be? What did we do to deserve having this virus infestection?

I want to know why everyone is attacking Beseria before we even have details about the game, much less it being released.

If people like this stop gaming, then I say good fucking riddance.

To anyone saying that Velvet is sexualized, please look up Luke from Abyss and Yuri from Vesperia.

I don't get why the feminists within the Tales fanbase are talking about the female characters to hell and back but refuse to mention that male characters have been sexualized in other Tales games.

Then again, I never understood nor ever sympathized with tumblr feminists.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 13, 2015 7:06 PM

Jul 2013
I read a few sentences and scrolled down to see "TLDR; go back and read the whole thing right now.". They got me! That was somewhat effective as it got me to read a bit of the article. I might use this in the future.

I'm playing Abyss right now and those those abs! Totally unnecessary but it gives me a good chuckle. Also, the game is a lot of fun all around. The OP alone puts a huge smile on my face. :)
Nagisa33Jun 13, 2015 7:11 PM
Jun 13, 2015 10:35 PM

Feb 2008
Soul-Master said:

"yawn" SJWs being SJWs. Why would you even read that?

Jun 14, 2015 2:22 AM

Apr 2012
Soul-Master said:

I mean she is right about carbon copies and lack of originality. General anime design problem.

But yeah this sexism debatte in games seems foolish to me.
Jun 14, 2015 11:55 AM

Dec 2007
My bad, I guess I didn't express myself too clear. Yeah the late ps3 and the ps4 era seems to be good time for the Jrpgs again. I'm just too disconnected from gaming news nowadays.

Don't take it too personally I used the quotation since you wondered why I has played Phantasia only. The rest was just general talking for everybody.

You know even Squarenix is starting to think again about the old sagas (mana, Star ocean and maybe chrono trigger) and creating new ones (bravely default) instead of giving us the random final fantasy remix every year.

Maybe this generation will be called one of the best eras of Jrpgs again. We even get them with double audio.
moichispaJun 15, 2015 7:59 AM
Jun 15, 2015 6:51 PM

Jan 2014
Welp, now the FF7 fanboys can shut up, remake is happening.
Jun 15, 2015 8:07 PM

Sep 2011
I AM NOT DEPRESSED ANYMORE

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jun 16, 2015 1:24 AM

Apr 2012
I'll get the remake...whenever the hell I'm getting a PS4.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 16, 2015 2:09 AM

Feb 2008
I'm looking forward to FF13 with FF7 skins. All of my hype!

Jun 18, 2015 8:42 PM

Jul 2013
ZetaZaku said:
Soul-Master said:

"yawn" SJWs being SJWs. Why would you even read that?

I didn't know what to expect. I always avoid those kind of subjects on Tumblr and just limit myself to reblogg about things I like. Its the first time I checked the tag for a game only to find a SJW virus outbreak that reached Racoon City levels. And it was worth it. Gave me some great laughs. Honest here.

baki502 said:

I mean she is right about carbon copies and lack of originality. General anime design problem.

But yeah this sexism debatte in games seems foolish to me.

With all respect, I fail to see how those female characters that are being compared look alike in any way.
How are Presa, Judith and Sheen similar other than having big boobs?
Rita, Elize and Anise? Did that moron actually play any of the games?
Jun 19, 2015 12:56 AM

Apr 2012
Zestiria is looking pretty damn good gameplay-wise.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jun 19, 2015 7:59 AM

Apr 2012
Soul-Master said:

With all respect, I fail to see how those female characters that are being compared look alike in any way.
How are Presa, Judith and Sheen similar other than having big boobs?
Rita, Elize and Anise? Did that moron actually play any of the games?

The same face problem that many many anime designs have, mostly due to the lack of details. If you look at it, all that really changes is eye color, hairstyle, haircolor and skin tone. But those characters have the same facial features, or better said, the same absence of facial features.

Anime designs tend to have a huge problem in this domain.

Altough yes, the Presa, Judith and Sheen example is a bit on the verge, they are from the examples shown the most different.

Altough its pointless to complain about it. This is what anime designs are like and they arent going to go away any time too soon. More the opposite, more and more facial features go away, noses are an endangered feature already.
Jun 19, 2015 5:52 PM

Apr 2012
The Nier details are actually quite interesting, for the first time I am actually looking forward to hear more of a JPRG. Okay yes its 99% because of Platinum, but still :D

A bit worried about it being easy tough. I think making it too simple could ruin it.
Jun 19, 2015 5:58 PM

Jul 2013
mugi said:
I'm actually realy disappointed of From after the DkS3 announcement.

Why's that? It was just a wee teaser.
Jun 19, 2015 8:10 PM

Jul 2013
If they create more warped areas to explore, more strange creatures to slay, and have a obtuse story then I'll be happy. Everything else is secondary though still important to the experience. I haven't been disappointed in these games as they've delivered on those aspects so far.

Besides that, DS2 had enjoyable PVP and the fashion angle was quite strong. I got to look silly and I loved it. Fight clubs had me smiling frequently. Connecting with others was where most of my enjoyment came from. I greatly appreciated the option to respec as I got to play a different role without wasting time. As for the single player portion, areas such as the Shaded Woods, the Black Gulch, Shrine of Amana, and Dragon Aerie were gorgeous or wonderfully gruesome.

BB's mind crippling descent had me hooked. The monster design was superb. A complaint about BB was that though the weapons were vastly different, the engagements in pvp were the same. I didn't get to launch a silly oversized arrow, stab someone with a dagger while invisible, be a long ranger, or brawl with magical kung fu fists. The fashion game was weaker this time around and outfits didn't match well. The PVP simply wasn't as fun and connecting was a nightmare. I also disliked how I couldn't be randomly invaded as some of the tension and uncertainty was lost. Even so, the single player experience was fantastic and what I really focused on. There were a lot of great moments like seeing the snake head enemy for the first time to seeing the moon to seeing the giant "spider" for the first time. Some changes to the formula were much appreciated while others I wasn't fond of. Losing your mind in a game hasn't been this much fun.

I'm sure that there's going to be plenty of content in DS3 that'll make me happy.
Jun 20, 2015 4:57 AM
Sep 2014
I've played a lot of video games, but never any JRPGs.

Can someone recommend me good ones?
What are the worth ones out of the Final Fantasy franchise?
Jun 20, 2015 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
JohnnyBme said:

Chrono Trigger was wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdWTrxJo28M
Sep 12, 2015 11:35 AM

Apr 2012
mugi said:
I got all the Atelier Dusk games that have been released so far from from my brother and some other games like Lightning Returns... and ToSymphonia Chronicles. Dunno if I will will play through Symphonia again but I started the sequel. Starts pretty cringe worthy but at least it's connected to the first story.
The Atelier Arland series was pretty meh even though they got better with every game, though never got close to all the 2D games from PS1-2/PSP era. These Dusk games have pretty good music and Shallie (and Sophie) have the best MCs yet. The OPs are also nice.

Never got around to playing the Atelier games (as most people know).
Symphonia is a pretty rad. Not my favorite Tales game (I like Vesperia, Hearts and Abyss slightly more), but still a great game with a surprisingly good dub.

Zelos is my favorite character, though Lloyd is pretty likeable as well.
Never liked Kratos as much as most people, but whatever works.
I like Colette a lot more than most people though, guess I'm just weird that way.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Sep 14, 2015 5:25 AM

Feb 2008
The only Atelier game I ever played was Atelier Iris for PS2, but those pre-PS3 Atelier games felt a bit different because of sprites. I guess maybe the PS3 ones have interesting gameplay, but on the surface they look like cancer haha. Saying that, I'd still play them if I had a PS3.

Sep 14, 2015 7:43 PM

Feb 2014
JohnnyBme said:

If you can take the extreme ironic shitposting tendencies of the series, try Disgaea. It's pretty fun, but I haven't played it past 3 because it started to sound a little hypocritical (it's a parody of how JRPGs are nowadays)... Most of them are available on the PS Store for download if I recall correctly.

Also, the Megaten string of games are very good. You're probably familiar with the Persona games. Persona 4 and 3 are great, Persona 2 is godly, Persona 1 is a hidden gem but hasn't aged well. Again, all have been remade for the PSP/PS Vita, so they're available on the PS Store. Now to the mainline: the first SMT hasn't aged well and I think it's somewhat overrated, but it's something to experience. SMT II is good. SMT: Nocturne is seen as a masterpiece among fans, but I fear that's somewhat subjective. As for gameplay? Better than the first two. I haven't played SMT IV, but a lot of people don't like it. (SMT, SMT II are on the SNES and SMT III is on the PS2). There are other spin-offs like Soul Hackers (I really do love it, with all my heart), Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga (wonderfully written characters and story), Devil Survivor (first desu is magical, desu2 is... eh) etc. etc.

I can suggest more but these are my top recs tbh. Maybe Fire Emblem, too.
Sep 15, 2015 9:28 AM

Apr 2012
soulhackers said:

Also, the Megaten string of games are very good. You're probably familiar with the Persona games. Persona 4 and 3 are great, Persona 2 is godly, Persona 1 is a hidden gem but hasn't aged well. Again, all have been remade for the PSP/PS Vita, so they're available on the PS Store. Now to the mainline: the first SMT hasn't aged well and I think it's somewhat overrated, but it's something to experience. SMT II is good. SMT: Nocturne is seen as a masterpiece among fans, but I fear that's somewhat subjective. As for gameplay? Better than the first two. I haven't played SMT IV, but a lot of people don't like it. (SMT, SMT II are on the SNES and SMT III is on the PS2). There are other spin-offs like Soul Hackers (I really do love it, with all my heart), Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga (wonderfully written characters and story), Devil Survivor (first desu is magical, desu2 is... eh) etc. etc.

I can suggest more but these are my top recs tbh. Maybe Fire Emblem, too.

I approve of your username (fellow MegaTen fan here...though I haven't played Soul Hackers yet).
- Oreki, Hyouka
Sep 17, 2015 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
sdasdascmaskcadem
- Oreki, Hyouka
Sep 23, 2015 9:33 PM

Jul 2013
I found Lightning Returns to be the worst of that trilogy.
Oct 12, 2015 10:08 AM

Apr 2012
Tales of Zestiria is currently the bestselling game on Steam.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.