Forum Settings
Forums

Is anyone else turned off by visual style only?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 23, 2016 10:52 PM

Nov 2014
In an Anime where the art is bad because the characters and story are more important, no. In an Anime where the art and animation are suppose to be good-great, yes. UBW had some pretty bad derp moments.
Apr 23, 2016 11:11 PM

Jan 2016
I prefer to judge anime based on substance, not "outlook". To me, animation and sound barely matter, as long as they're at least 3 or 4 out of 10. On the other side, I'd never watch an anime with story or character development I'd rank 3-4/10.
Apr 23, 2016 11:22 PM

Oct 2013
Of course it does. Would you read a novel with shitty prose?

don't answer, I know "light novels" are a thing here
Apr 24, 2016 12:32 AM

Apr 2016
If an anime shows promise in other areas (such as writing, story, animation, action sequences, etc...), sometimes even a strange or unfamiliar art style will come to grow on me over time, and I end up enjoying said show in the end anyways. Of course, I've seen some shows with such terrible art style to the point where they are plain un-watchable.
Apr 24, 2016 1:24 AM

Dec 2010
the animation style hmmmmmm nahh, not really, I don't care

but like some of the stylistic choices in character design in some animes are questionable
I personally can't really stand animes that go for the obviously really fucking hot female with ridiculously huge tits

Apr 24, 2016 2:58 AM

Jul 2015
Think about this: One of my friend's won't watch Clannad, and Clannad After Story because of the art solely.

I personally don't care about art style and whatever it looks like, if I enjoy the series I'll watch it.
Apr 24, 2016 3:18 AM

Dec 2015
If there is not much else to offer this is important. Also for me visual style is more important than animation itself.

But I usually like if the style is a bit different. Liked Aku no Hana and Ping Pong. Depends on how it is different. Couldn't watch Panty and Stocking. (I also did not like it because the chars/story did not interest me.)

If there is good plot/characers it is okay if the visual style is okay only/average.
Apr 24, 2016 4:04 AM

Dec 2014
Not really... But yeah for some Anime, good visual art is a plus.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Apr 24, 2016 4:10 AM

Dec 2012
UnoPuntoCinco said:

How would you be able to judge that? Can you read Japanese?
Apr 24, 2016 6:29 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:

if ln were worth anything large editorial houses would translate them
Apr 24, 2016 6:32 AM

Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:

I can. :D But light novels have been licensed and translated for purchase in the US too. I believe Spice and Wolf was one of the first titles, then came Haruhi Suzumiya and it really picked up after SAO was released.

Apr 24, 2016 6:34 AM

Dec 2012
UnoPuntoCinco said:
tsudecimo said:

You are already contradicting yourself..

Your implication was LN have shitty prose. Something you can't judge based on English fan translations. Then you are saying their content itself aren't worthwhile.

It's a bad analogy to visuals anyway.
Apr 24, 2016 6:36 AM

Apr 2014
Guess why I still haven't watched Aku no Hana
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2016 6:46 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:

Your implication was LN have shitty prose. Something you can't judge based on English fan translations. Then you are saying their content itself aren't worthwhile.

I think my reasoning is pretty clear, LN are bad because they're not taken seriously. I could argue that a translation is a good reference point to judge the prose of a work, I read Nabokov's Lolita in Spanish and was blown out by the prose.

Prose/Poetry are counterparts of Visual story telling. They're, in literature theory, the Verba (the shape) of the work.
Apr 24, 2016 7:46 AM
Apr 2016
Sometimes. It depends how compelling the story is.
Apr 24, 2016 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
I sometimes don't really like the super long bodies animes. Like One Piece where they're all like really long and lanky and the legs take up 90% of the body. I also don't like the washed out color styles like Romantic Comedy Snafu had in season 2 where the top of the head looks white and it looks like the color is just drying out from there down. I kind of like colorful shows. Also I guess I don't really like rotoscope since I didn't like Aku No Hana.
I'm the guy who's going to burn your house down! With the Lemons!
Apr 24, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2016
Not too much but some animes really hurt my eyes, like clannad.
Or the clothes style on Netoge
Or worst, that blue contour at the characters when they are in the game...

Apr 24, 2016 10:19 AM

Jan 2012
anobaka said:
Well I thought I was much more resilient to visual style variation but I guess it plays a major role for me. For example, bad character design can definitely ruin an anime for me or even make it unwatchable.

I am struggling with Clannad just because of ugly visual style of character faces. I guess I got spoiled by nice stuff like Nisekoi and Oregairu.

Yeah, I think character design goes a long way for me. That's why if I haven't already seen an anime prior, if it was made before 2006 then I would have a problem watching it.

Character design is a huge thing for me. Taking for example Mayoiga, I think has started out pretty good so far with the first four episodes.... But the main character fawning over the one girl is just so annoying. I also find that girl's character look very annoying to look at.
Apr 25, 2016 2:49 PM

Feb 2016
ilovewendy16 said:
The story in Clannad is literally Life Changing. I mean my future before watching clannad and after are two totally different things. Thats how good clannad is. You probably won't feel this way till the very last episode though. Just make sure you watch the first season first and watch the last 15 or so in the same day. Once the "thing" happens, and you'll know what i'm talking about when it does, you can't stop watching it till the end. Just hang in there and don't give up. You won't regret clannad, you should get used to the art soon enough. Also pay close attention to those random "wierd scenes" in that other world, because they are FUCKING IMPORTANT.

I finished the first season and I didn't find it particularly special. Far from "life changing" as you described your experience. I don't know, maybe I missed something or I am just too old and experienced much more than you had at the time you watched it. I was rather unimpressed and I still hate the character face design.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the special episode about Tomoyo romance. It is quite good and it deals with a more interesting/complex topic (in my opinion of course).
man_of_cultureApr 25, 2016 2:54 PM
Apr 25, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2012
ilovewendy16 said:
anobaka said:

Well Luck Star has very similar character faces. I just cannot stand it. I dropped Lucky Star immediately because on top of disgusting visual style, it was also extremely boring. I am giving Clannad a chance since there seems to be some value in the story/characters. But I am struggling.
The story in Clannad is literally Life Changing. I mean my future before watching clannad and after are two totally different things. Thats how good clannad is. You probably won't feel this way till the very last episode though. Just make sure you watch the first season first and watch the last 15 or so in the same day. Once the "thing" happens, and you'll know what i'm talking about when it does, you can't stop watching it till the end. Just hang in there and don't give up. You won't regret clannad, you should get used to the art soon enough. Also pay close attention to those random "wierd scenes" in that other world, because they are FUCKING IMPORTANT.

I mean.. the story is alright... the art is well done for it's time but I wouldn't say life changing... in particular. It was just.. Okay... The soundtrack is probably the show's biggest draw for me. I found Nagisa really annoying though.. Kotomi and Kyou are my favorite characters out of that series.
Apr 25, 2016 3:06 PM

Nov 2015
I actively avoid series that have art that I don't like. Part of watching anything animated has to do with looking at the character design and animation.
Apr 25, 2016 3:51 PM

Jun 2012
I dislike it when artstyles and character designs are way too "safe" and generic but if the rest of the package is good I can enjoy the series.

I don't think I've ever not watched something solely because the visuals are something I'm not used to. If a show looks different there's usually a reason behind it or adds to the setting and characters (Kaiba, YST, FLCL being pretty great examples)
Apr 25, 2016 4:02 PM

Nov 2011
I tend to prefer anime with weird and unique artstyles. What turns me off is generic art and those grotesque lolis.
Apr 25, 2016 4:37 PM

Dec 2012
It depends on how repulsive it looks really, but if the story sounds good I'd give it a try regardless of what it looked like. After all, there are a couple things I have even given 10s to that have some ugly ass art.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Apr 25, 2016 5:21 PM

Oct 2015
Yeah I bet most of you people saying that this never happens to you always complain about "moeshit". Just saying that it can be disingenuous to deny your preferences.
Apr 25, 2016 6:39 PM

Sep 2012
Unless its absolutely shithouse, no, I can pretty much watch anything from the 70s upwards and not have a problem.
Apr 25, 2016 7:12 PM

Dec 2015
Yes. It's the reason why I won't watch Ping Pong and dislike most shoujo anime because I don't like the character design.
Apr 25, 2016 11:12 PM
Aug 2015
anobaka said:
ilovewendy16 said:

I finished the first season and I didn't find it particularly special. Far from "life changing" as you described your experience. I don't know, maybe I missed something or I am just too old and experienced much more than you had at the time you watched it. I was rather unimpressed and I still hate the character face design.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the special episode about Tomoyo romance. It is quite good and it deals with a more interesting/complex topic (in my opinion of course).
Just wait for afterstory. The second season is why everyone still talks about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 8:06 AM

May 2013
If the art is bad i drop it, story doesn't mean much to me if the visuals are weak
Apr 26, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2011
I had yet to come across a style that completely turned me off from the show until I watched Sushi Police and i realized that yes an art style alone can ruin something for me.
But I guess for me it has to be REALLY ugly art.

I really like unique art styles or I guess "ugly" art styles usually because it makes it stand out.
Except for Sushi Police fuck that
Apr 26, 2016 2:55 PM
Apr 2016
I care a lot about the art, but not enough to give up/not watch an anime if the story is/seems good. Basically, I'd much prefer to watch a good anime with bad animation than a bad anime with great animation.
Apr 26, 2016 3:11 PM

Oct 2013
Nah, CGI puts me off and there was only ONE anime that put me off because of the art

Red Garden

Its not bad art at all but it just put me off for some reason. It introduced me to LMC though lol
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 26, 2016 6:57 PM

Sep 2012
It happens to many people. While I never hold it against the anime if I do complete it, it can be enough for me to drop it early, which is sometimes unfortunate.
Apr 26, 2016 7:04 PM

May 2013
Animation style plays a huge role. I usually stick with the more modern look (eg, Hyouka, Haikyuu). The plot must be a solid 8-10/10 for me to consider finishing the anime if the animation seems "old/classic style".
Apr 27, 2016 12:21 PM

May 2015
M42K0 said:
I prefer to judge anime based on substance, not "outlook". To me, animation and sound barely matter, as long as they're at least 3 or 4 out of 10. On the other side, I'd never watch an anime with story or character development I'd rank 3-4/10.

I wouldn't say art is just 'outlook'. The medium is visual. It should use its visuals to tell the story and express the ideas. Why have so many different art styles if it doesn't matter? Why immerse yourself in a visual medium if the visuals don't matter?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 27, 2016 4:17 PM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
M42K0 said:

I wouldn't say art is just 'outlook'. The medium is visual. It should use its visuals to tell the story and express the ideas. Why have so many different art styles if it doesn't matter? Why immerse yourself in a visual medium if the visuals don't matter?

Because it would be like saying: "Loving literature means reading. So if you don't like the font of "The Old Man and the Sea", why do you like that book?" Anime is way more than visuals. It's story, it's characters that grow on you, their emotional struggles and moral dilemmas. I care way more about these aspects of anime than animation quality. It's like with people, right? I guess somebody's sucker for big boobs while somebody would rather marry an intelligent, good-humored girl. ;)
Apr 27, 2016 4:55 PM

Oct 2013
M42K0 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Because it would be like saying: "Loving literature means reading. So if you don't like the font of "The Old Man and the Sea", why do you like that book?" Anime is way more than visuals. It's story, it's characters that grow on you, their emotional struggles and moral dilemmas. I care way more about these aspects of anime than animation quality. It's like with people, right? I guess somebody's sucker for big boobs while somebody would rather marry an intelligent, good-humored girl. ;)
Stupid analogy, the "shape" of literature is prose/verse, which is said to be the form/shape of the work. Indeed Aristotle compares a painter to a poet because both of them imitate nature in their respective ways.
As the other user said, Animation and Outlook of the shows are an integral part of it
Apr 27, 2016 5:02 PM

Jan 2016
UnoPuntoCinco said:
M42K0 said:

Stupid analogy, the "shape" of literature is prose/verse, which is said to be the form/shape of the work. Indeed Aristotle compares a painter to a poet because both of them imitate nature in their respective ways.
As the other user said, Animation and Outlook of the shows are an integral part of it
Ok, let's use your analogy then. :) Would you really disregard a great poem only because you don't like the type of metric the verse is in. Surely, some people will do this, but I'm not sure how credible such opinions are.
Apr 27, 2016 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
M42K0 said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Ok, let's use your analogy then. :) Would you really disregard a great poem only because you don't like the type of metric the verse is in. Surely, some people will do this, but I'm not sure how credible such opinions are.
Tastes are subjective, I may dislike the Divine Comedy but I see how perfect it is on every technical sense possible
Apr 28, 2016 2:41 AM

May 2015
M42K0 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That's because font isn't a part of the story. It doesn't affect it. It changes from print to print.

Font can be compared to file quality. Both are external. The creators don't actually choose them.

Yet they DO choose artstyle. They go over each character and pick a unique design for them. They choose a specific art style to suit the anime's overall atmosphere.

Will DBZ be the same with KLK's art style? Will Texhnolyze be the same with DBZ's artstyle?
Apr 30, 2016 2:01 AM

Apr 2016
to be honest, yes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 30, 2016 7:08 AM
Dec 2014
Clannad.

But it's rare, a good plot and characters are more important than visuals.
Apr 30, 2016 7:15 AM

Jul 2014
Sometimes... or rather, usually. I try to look past it but usually find it difficult to. There are a ton of really good (based on reviews) old anime out there but I can't even find it in myself to start any of them because of the poor visuals.

Also, I'm not a big fan off too much chibis.. I don't mind the occasional chibi portrayal but if most of the characters look naturally chibi or even remotely childish, I'll immediately start feeling disappointed. >_<
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Apr 30, 2016 7:21 AM

Mar 2015
Visual styles have never ruined an anime for me, however visual style does play a significant role in deciding which anime I choose to watch. Yet I wouldn't dismiss an anime simply because the visual content wasn't up my alley, doing so could mean missing out on a gem.
Apr 30, 2016 7:21 AM
Dec 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:
tsudecimo said:

I think my reasoning is pretty clear, LN are bad because they're not taken seriously. I could argue that a translation is a good reference point to judge the prose of a work, I read Nabokov's Lolita in Spanish and was blown out by the prose.

Prose/Poetry are counterparts of Visual story telling. They're, in literature theory, the Verba (the shape) of the work.

The 12 kingdoms by Fuyumi Ono is an LN and it deserves more fame than Hungergames or Harry Potter. Sadly it's not well known. It was fan translated by a professional translator fluent in Japanese and English so it actually reads well.

So not all LNs are shit.
Apr 30, 2016 7:28 AM
Dec 2014
Valaskjalf said:
honorific said:

I don't get the whole appeal to visuals, why is it people like boring and empty shows like Nisekoi just because they look pretty?

Because anime is made of visuals. If you want story only, good read a book.

Hmmm would you say the same about movies, plays and opera?
Apr 30, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2014
Very rarely. At least, so far, I'd say it has only happened once or twice. Mekakucity's shitty CG during THAT scene and Abunai sisters.

I can take some below average animation and artstyles.

May 1, 2016 12:28 AM

May 2015
raenydays said:
Sometimes... or rather, usually. I try to look past it but usually find it difficult to. There are a ton of really good (based on reviews) old anime out there but I can't even find it in myself to start any of them because of the poor visuals.

Also, I'm not a big fan off too much chibis.. I don't mind the occasional chibi portrayal but if most of the characters look naturally chibi or even remotely childish, I'll immediately start feeling disappointed. >_<

What about the chibi style bothers you? What if it's a comic anime where everyone's chibi?
May 1, 2016 12:53 AM

Jul 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
What about the chibi style bothers you? What if it's a comic anime where everyone's chibi?

I guess it's simply too cute for my tastes. (゚Д゚;)ゞ

And not necessarily chibi but just the childish type of art in general (not a big fan of loli types) so if the characters are drawn like that from the start and throughout the anime then most likely I won't bother watching it. xD
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 2, 2016 2:36 AM

Apr 2010
Never happened to me... I'm fine with pretty eveything

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What do you think about fetishes in anime?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

18 by Anjuro »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 7 hours ago

41 by DigiCat »»
7 minutes ago

» i think most of us know anime is just a medium, but...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

12 by OmegaMilo »»
8 minutes ago

» Would your favorite non-anime characters survive in your favorite anime?

FanofAction - Yesterday

19 by Ratris_Decision »»
26 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

22 by BigBoyAdvance »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.