Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Mar 2015
Having recently played through the games again, while searching something up for one of the games, I found out there was going to be an anime like three days ago, so I was hyped for this since these games are my jam.

I thought the intro was way cringy. I don't know why they decided to go with the EVERYBODY RUNS THROUGH THE CREDITS for the intro. The music ended really abruptly too.
It really annoyed me how they showed the guy who actually killed her, since they didn't do that ingame and it would have added some mystery for anybody who has never played the games.. since it's an adaption of the GAME series.
(edit: I would edit this out entirely, but the quotations below make no sense, so just forgive my mistake. I know now that they show the guy infact, does kill her.)

I have a problem with these things in general, but:
- Phoenix's eyebrows. They aren't noticible in the game, but that little lightning flick is so annoying.
- Mia's spot/pimple/beauty mark thing. I thought I had dirt on my screen everytime I saw it. I never noticed it ingame.

I'm nitpicking on those things, but to be honest, I'll watch anything and even though I complain, I'll continue to watch it but my heart yearns for the fact there will be no Butz jokes and nothing about Edgeworth being edgy.
Speaking of Edgeworth, his eyes look weird, like too close together. They should be smaller and he should look like he is in midst of smelling a fart constantly.

The anime looks way too clear and crisp, but this is somebody who is too used to the Nintendo DS graphics. What the animation actually looks like, I don't care.

CynicalHater said:
2.5/5.

It was too cheesy and not enough seriousness.

The game itself is far from serious.
EnbizakaApr 2, 2016 1:20 PM
Apr 2, 2016 10:48 AM

Jul 2007
James278 said:
Maxsk1 said:
So a case that took 2-3 hours in the original game was rushed in about 10-15 minutes, and they took out a lot of key points and contradictions that led to the final contradiction
While your concerns with it being rushed are not unfounded, this case takes only about 35-40 minutes in the game and that is when you have to listen to testimonies again and again to find contradictions.

Which can be easily done by having some actually CREATIVE writing and directing and showing those contradictions. There are thousands of ways one can portray thinking.

What they did was basically cut up parts of the case from game and threw it into the show.
Apr 2, 2016 10:57 AM

Nov 2008
Enbizaka said:
It really annoyed me how they showed the guy who actually killed her, since they didn't do that ingame and it would have added some mystery for anybody who has never played the games.. since it's an adaption of the GAME series.

Please watch the first minute of this video.
Apr 2, 2016 11:00 AM

Mar 2014
this 1st episode was very bizarre for me.

I'm a very fan of Ace Attornery videogames, so after watching the episdoe really felt strange, because how they develope in the anime felt different as how was in the game.

Unfortunately, it don't have the same tension of the games.

The court was pretty fast since the lack of cross examination (they even no gave chance to the shitty "novice killer" a chance to defend his position), so really no felt the tension and serious part of the game.

sure, this episode is not a game, is an anime, so it should be judge as an anime but I love the games :< for my safety maybe no keep watch it.

so is fine for the general audience, although this is a massive spoilers for those who haven't yet play the game and want to do it in a future (is not the same play it knowing the answers than use ur grey matter for a while).
Apr 2, 2016 11:01 AM

Jan 2015
James278 said:
Maxsk1 said:
So a case that took 2-3 hours in the original game was rushed in about 10-15 minutes, and they took out a lot of key points and contradictions that led to the final contradiction
While your concerns with it being rushed are not unfounded, this case takes only about 35-40 minutes in the game and that is when you have to listen to testimonies again and again to find contradictions.

Also it's just a tutorial made to teach you the gameplay and show a bit of the characters, but it's pretty simple.
Apr 2, 2016 11:02 AM

Mar 2015
Tacas said:
Enbizaka said:

Please watch the first minute of this video.

well certainly by 'having played the game recently' I meant with a concussion after completing the case.
I totally forgot about that. I must have mistaken it since the cases after the first do not show the killer (even in the second game, they don't show who killed Maggey's boyfriend).
Apr 2, 2016 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
It wasn't that bad at all.
Apr 2, 2016 11:07 AM

Jan 2016
Well...
Look. There was definitely a lot of love here. There were a lot of neat references to the games, and the little green text boxes are super neat. It's also just as hammy and over the top as it should be, so there's that.

But HOT DAMN, that animation. It made DB Super look like Stardust Memories. Not only did the show look choppy and weird, the OP looked like utter garbage. And i normally don't care for that kinda stuff, because often it's just half a frame and nobody was even gonna see it anyway, but here it's VERY obvious.

I guess it's just like they say; when something smells, it's the Butz A-1 Pictures.

Despite that, however... i can't lie. I was super hype at the end there. Although, that isn't really an indication that the show is good; maybe i just love the games that much.
"Now you have your answer. That's Fire Bomber. We don't know their past or future... they're just here. That's all there is." - Akiko Lips
Apr 2, 2016 11:09 AM

Nov 2008
Enbizaka said:

I totally forgot about that. I must have mistaken it since the cases after the first do not show the killer (even in the second game, they don't show who killed Maggey's boyfriend).

By the way, what is that key chain thingy on Phoenix' bag? Is it Steel Samurai related? If I remember correctly, he shouldn't know what the Steel Samurai is until the third case...
TacasApr 2, 2016 11:15 AM
Apr 2, 2016 11:09 AM

Dec 2012
Sooo this is like the Dangan Ronpa adaptation. Ok, I really have to play the game.

Why do the best games have the worst luck when comes to adaptations?
Apr 2, 2016 11:17 AM

Apr 2013
As an Ace Attorney fan, this adaptation is great! The dialogues are very faithful to the game, and hearing the OSTs from the game literally made me jizzed in my pants.

Also, they also faithfully replicated the "reactions" of the characters.

The running in the OP looks awfully jerky and the ending did not appear as dramatic as I thought.

We are just done with the "tutorial" case, the next one will be a lot better!

Apr 2, 2016 11:23 AM
Apr 2013
New to the community, so just wanted to put my two cents in:

Having played the games multiple times I concur that the pacing was way off. The only time you feel a thrill is near the end when Phoenix finally figures out the trick the killer uses.

The art style is also off. It always seemed very simplistic. Its as if the artists of this show decided to only keep the barebones visual attributes of each character so that we can recognize them. I don't think too many people were impressed, but I think we can get used to it with time

As far as the way the story has been adapted is concerned: I think too much got cut from the game. The flow of the testimonies and conversations in general felt like it got disrupted at a number of points, especially when they are trying to transition from a joke to a serious tone.

Also. while nostalgia is great, I think there were too many nods to the games. At points the show felt like the animators just decided to add additional animation to the games.

I'm willing to continue watching the show just because of how big of a fan I am, the fact that it's the first episode, and there were a fair number of portions I enjoyed, but this show has really got to get its act together.
Apr 2, 2016 11:25 AM

Sep 2014
As a person who played the first Ace Attorney game, I find this adaptation really interesting. :) They kept the goofiness of the original game and they did not deviate from the original material (though a lot of conversations were cut). I think I'll see this anime through. :))
Apr 2, 2016 11:27 AM
Apr 2013
Frost017 said:
As a person who played the first Ace Attorney game, I find this adaptation really interesting. :) They kept the goofiness of the original game and they did not deviate from the original material. I think I'll see this anime through. :))

Agreed. It is very interesting. But I am concerned that the 20-30 minute time constraint is going to limit some characters from showing the true depth of their wackiness. For example, Larry/Yahari's wackiness was not fully communicated in the sense of how trouble just keeps following him or how he is such a lady's man.
Apr 2, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2012
The first episode was fine. This episode was based on the tutorial case and there isn't much to actually animate. I'm sure that starting next week, the series will become more enjoyable and "robust" in content.

The first episode seems "rushed" because they cut out all the: "Pressing the witness for extra testimonies" segments. In the video game you would be pressing every statement to gain more information. Even then it's just the first case ever, you can complete it without actually pressing any statements, which happend in the Anime.
Apr 2, 2016 11:40 AM
Dec 2008
*watches 15s*, really, Kaji Yuki, again?!. How I wished half the series coming out DIDNT have him as a main voice.
Apr 2, 2016 11:43 AM

Mar 2013
Not quite exactly what I was expecting but wasn't bad at all. Animation seems pretty simple. I liked how they coped with the trial and how they gave it a nice denouement.
Apr 2, 2016 11:44 AM

Oct 2015
It appears that they're going with the original story of the VN. Art style is eh, and I'm very disappointed they didn't use the "Cornered" song at the end.
Apr 2, 2016 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
-Crappy opening.
-Animation is okay but I expected better.
-The pacing was way too fast. It didn't feel like Wright was learning anything during the session. Sahwit/Yamano reactions also felt unnatural because of it.

Average. I doubt It'll get better but we'll see.
Apr 2, 2016 11:50 AM

Jul 2014
Not really my thing. I'll stick to the three episode rule and see how it goes I guess.
[center][/center]
Apr 2, 2016 11:58 AM

Mar 2013
Tohka_Yatogami said:
It wasn't that bad at all.

This. As a huge Ace Attorney fan I expected something far worse
Apr 2, 2016 12:02 PM

Jun 2013
Decent adaptation so far, especially considering it's A-1 that's a miracle in itself
Apr 2, 2016 12:03 PM
Jul 2018
Enbizaka said:

It really annoyed me how they showed the guy who actually killed her, since they didn't do that ingame

But they do it like every case? You're not remembering correctly.
Apr 2, 2016 12:06 PM

Apr 2014
Not sure how I feel about it. I can't say I'm impressed by the direction and the pacing. I guess the production team want to speed through the first 3 cases to spend more time with the last one but I think they are sacrificing a bit too much in the progress.
Let's see how they are going to present the investigation scenes in the next episodes.
Apr 2, 2016 12:08 PM

Apr 2014
The animation felt a bit off even tho it's A-1 Pictures. Yuki Kaji doesn't fit at all as Nick's VA (tbh they should've gone with Hosoya).

But a nice episode overall. Like said above, it felt kind of rushed but it was fine anyway.
Apr 2, 2016 12:12 PM

Feb 2015
Objection!!!
Why put Comedy in the Court scene ?! not really fit well in my opinion!!
at least something thrilling like Danganronpa would be great XD
but, anyway, GG! i guess (?)
i still think the first episode is interesting, but unfortunately the animation.... :( i think i have to get used to it.
the Court scene still interesting, other than that, this show makes me to imagine "What if Sora from No Game No Life was playing the MC role ? or maybe Sora and Shiro were playing the MC role ?" kinda fun to imagine something like that while watching this anime XD

looking foward to the next episode then :D
Apr 2, 2016 12:14 PM

Feb 2016
An okay first episode. I think it has the potential to be a 8,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2016 12:16 PM

Oct 2014
No idea if it's a decent adaptation since I've never played the game, but I think it was pretty nice for a first episode. Also, I really love the OP and ED.
Apr 2, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2014
You know what would probably make this amazing (if they still existed)?

Give it the ADV treatment.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Apr 2, 2016 12:23 PM
Jan 2016
Never played the game, but great first episode!!! Interesting and got me invested.

Btw, really digging the overall OST (OP and ED included) :D
Apr 2, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2015
Err ... a bit rushed, I Understood what was watching just because I have played some games, thought. Also, it seems to have lost the tension in courtroom, I believe that reason is lack of contradictions, objections and twists in the case (adapting/cuting dialogues). If it is to be rushed, doesn't need waste too much time in goofy scenes with Naruhodou Ryuuichi/Phoenix, save time for important things, just a bit for jokes so (for rushing). OST used in crucial/decisive moments was a strong point of the games, but this anime ... I didn't see it having a good use. Moreover Naruhodou (anime) is very behaved in the cross-examine, please, slam on the desk and show your intimidating glare toward everyone in your way lol.

However, believe it can be watchable, if not, at least for who played the games. *This is not a camouflaged recommendation. lol
Apr 2, 2016 12:39 PM

Jul 2009
TheFilthyCasual said:

No need for that, this already exists:
Apr 2, 2016 12:46 PM

Jun 2008
Gods, I'm a big AA fan, played the first game in particular multiple times, and I have to state this:

If LARRY BUTZ is the best thing about your anime episode (introductory at that), you have a bad anime coming.

Honestly, I liked Larry. And I don't hate the Naruhodo seiyuu, he is fine. But everything else, from music to art to pacing, is utter crap. I swear that a straight playthrough is much more exciting to watch than this. WHY, CAPCOM, WHY THE CHEAPNESS?

PS> For those fans, who never seen it, a fan-animated eye-bleach AMV set for "Spark" (from the LA Gyakuten movie) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pDWm41zH4 (mildly spoilerific for non-fans)
chaosdxApr 2, 2016 12:57 PM
Apr 2, 2016 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
Hmmm i'm a little undecided with this episode... I mean yeah they animated quiet well the "tutorial" case and the revelations, but it felt so rushed without the cross examination and the overall tension...
Anyway it was the 1º episode so hopefully it gets better ^^
Apr 2, 2016 12:56 PM

Aug 2015
This feels like a decent adaptation so far but this first episode was rather first paced. I wished they used the soundtrack better considering the game OST is great.
Apr 2, 2016 12:56 PM

Mar 2015
Tacas said:

By the way, what is that key chain thingy on Phoenix' bag? Is it Steel Samurai related? If I remember correctly, he shouldn't know what the Steel Samurai is until the third case...

Looking at him closer, it does look like a little Steel Samurai, but it seems to zoom in on the keychain while talking about Larry, unless that is completely irrelevant.. (but it's gotta have some relevancy to be zoomed into..)

MasterF998 said:

But they do it like every case? You're not remembering correctly.

No, no, my point was that they don't show who kills who at the beginning of the case, but I misremembered this with the first case in the first game.
Of course they'll show who kills who at the end, who cares about that.
Apr 2, 2016 12:57 PM
Dec 2008
Oh man, an Ace Attorney anime, dayum we be hyped, wait, what, what's this, no, not again, NOT AGAIN. Why is Kaji Yuki main here? Every character he voices gets his personality destroyed and turns in the only character Kaji Yuki can voice, Kaji Yuki.
Apr 2, 2016 12:58 PM

Aug 2015
sadpotato250 said:
TheFilthyCasual said:

It's been too long since I've seen this! I really need to rewatch this.
Apr 2, 2016 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
An interesting first episode.

This episode did feel rather rushed but I still enjoyed it.

I liked how some parts of the trial looked like the game (though I've never played them).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this series and hope the pacing isn't too bad. I kinda wanna play the games now lol.
Apr 2, 2016 1:00 PM

May 2014
sadpotato250 said:
TheFilthyCasual said:

Yeah but I think this guy should play Phoenix.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Apr 2, 2016 1:01 PM

Dec 2015
It was an alright episode, seeing all the comments about how the cases do get better, I'll give this show a chance, as I do like those solving a case kind of stories.

Apr 2, 2016 1:08 PM
Feb 2013
Did not expect too much from this episode, but it was better than I thought. Was surprised they included any of the game music at all tbh. I actually like the over the top courtroom effects because it does make it feel more like the original game.

Still bothered by the voice casting for phoenix, but I will try to get used to it.

The first case is the shortest case and the easiest in the whole series. Of course I expected it to be rushed. Yes they could have fleshed the case out more and added in all of the contradictions that were in the game but that would mean the case would stretch over 2 episodes, and I did no want them to spend more than an episode on it as the other cases are much more interesting. I like their decision to get this case over with as quickly as possible so they can spend more time on the other cases. The next case should be much better, as they'll introduce edgeworth and maya.
KendiKongApr 2, 2016 1:21 PM
Apr 2, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2013
Of all the things to complain abut is the pacing really one of them? I mean, it was bad I guess, but who really wants two episodes for just the tutorial case?

Buuuuuut if it keeps up like this for future episodes then we'll have a real issue.
gedataApr 2, 2016 1:15 PM
Apr 2, 2016 1:18 PM

Jun 2008
gedata said:
Of all the things to complain abut is the pacing really one of them? I mean, it was bad I guess, but who really wants two episodes for just the tutorial case?

Buuuuuut if it keeps up like this for future episodes then we'll have a real issue.

It shows zero effort in the actual adaptation department. There could have been meaningful 20-something minutes, chosen and set meaningfully from the tutorial case, not the 1:1 rehash we got (which ofc scaled badly).
Apr 2, 2016 1:22 PM

Jul 2010
Ok, I wasn't expecting much anyways, since Kaji was confirmed for Phoenix lmao
Apr 2, 2016 1:27 PM

Mar 2016
Not a huge fan of the art style or the OP

OBJECTION
Apr 2, 2016 1:28 PM
Jun 2013
kakyoinnoriaki said:
Ok, I wasn't expecting much anyways, since Kaji was confirmed for Phoenix lmao

What is that kind of hate, lmao? I don't give a crap about voice actors so i looked what he was associated with in previous roles and i think he's decent.

Would i have preferred a bit darker and slightly more serious voice to offset the goofy parts and make them stand out a bit more? I guess so, but seriously, disregarding anime just cus of blind voice actor hate is narrow minded.
Apr 2, 2016 1:31 PM

Apr 2013
why was it so hyped? so average
Apr 2, 2016 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
Not bad for a first episode. It wasn't amazing but it was quite nice to see.
Other than that I have two issues with the episode:

The beginning was kind of lacking because it was pretty obvious for the culprit (though I heard this is like a tutorial)

and some of the animation scenes, they're lackluster in some areas.
Apr 2, 2016 1:38 PM
Aug 2015
The ED is awesome. So far it seems to be a good adaption. Hopefully as this goes on, it goes from a good adaption to a great one.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Mia Fey

FiddlePie - Feb 22

4 by FiddlePie »»
Feb 23, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

56 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2016

40 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 11, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2016

48 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

44 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 9, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.