Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 6, 2015 4:31 PM

Aug 2015
How do you guys rate anime? What do you consider and expect from a serie? What makes a 8+ anime?
He realized that he had lost sight of something important. No matter what turn he took he should have kept singing. Even if his songs couldn’t save the world, he could still sing songs for her. Don’t ever lose sight of what’s important to you. (Yoshino Yūsuke: Clannad)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 6, 2015 4:32 PM

Dec 2013
I r8 8/8
Nov 6, 2015 4:32 PM

Jul 2011
1-10 like MAL says: 10 Masterpiece, 9 Great, etc.
Nothing except laughs in a comedy.
Being very good
Nov 6, 2015 4:35 PM

Sep 2013
+8 anime = enjoyed it + loved the chars + didn't make me feel bored..
Nov 6, 2015 4:37 PM

May 2015
8+ anime is any anime that has something special in it that makes it good.

Future Diary is a fantastical, wild thing. Digimon Tamers is psychologically deep. Medabots is hilarious, brilliantly explores its themes and has great tonal shifts. NGE is an overblown, epic anime that's a lot of fun.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 6, 2015 4:38 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Garrahan90 said:
How do you guys rate anime?

Based on my enjoyment.

Garrahan90 said:
What do you consider and expect from a serie?

An enjoyable one

Garrahan90 said:
What makes a 8+ anime?

Being very enjoyable.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 6, 2015 4:42 PM

May 2013
I pretty much just rate based on enjoyment. For a while I would rate more or less objectively based on things like art and animation, story, characters, etc. but I got lazy and now I just rate on enjoyment. And I don't really expect much out of an anime. By default, every anime I start watching starts out as a 5 and just changes from there depending on how I like it.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Nov 6, 2015 7:00 PM

May 2015
I rate based on how much I enjoyed it. Obviously the story/characters/art contribute to that fact. If I wanted to be some reviewer that only focused on story/characters mainly, I wouldn't be watching something animated, I'd read a fucking book.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 6, 2015 7:21 PM

Mar 2014
8 is the defining line between a show that enjoy and one where I'm invested enough to watch 10+ episodes in a row. It's something I'd recommend to friends. There are some exceptions, such as Space Dandy and K-ON! which I loved for specific reasons (absurdity and cuteness).

A 9 usually changes how I see anime in some way in addition to being immensely enjoyable. It either made me think "I didn't know I could like that type of show" (K-ON! and Kids on the Slope), and/or hits the right note in pretty much every way, characters (design and personality), animation direction, aesthetic, sound effects, backgound music, etc.

A 10 is Kill la Kill, I don't really have anything else I consider a 10. It has to floor me with it's presentation and the ideas within the show. Space Dandy has perfect presentation for it's themes (or lack thereof), occasionally deconstructs things (the race in space episode), and is thoughtful at times, but doesn't do this consistently, or to a great enough degree, to push it up to a 10. It also has to appeal to me on a conceptual level (with both of these shows do).

5 is alright, I enjoyed it, but there's a ton of shows I'm pretty sure I'll like more.

6... nobody knows what a 6 is.

7 is very enjoyable, but not something I'm going to recommend unless I know that type of show fits their taste.

I try not to expect anything out of a series, it usually leads to disappointment like in Toradora!'s case.
Nov 6, 2015 7:29 PM

Feb 2012
I rate how much i liked it on a whim, which is why im always evaluating my list every once in a while.
Nov 6, 2015 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
Garrahan90 said:
What makes a 8+ anime?
It has to be very good or better
Nov 6, 2015 8:07 PM

Apr 2014
don't see the point of assigning a certain adjective to numbers when they all have different connotations to everyone especially words like 'average.'

anyways i just pick the number that seems right lol.

Nov 6, 2015 8:21 PM

Dec 2014
I rate based on my enjoyment of the anime, and i easily enjoy any anime, so my list have quite a lot of 8+.

Join reddit r/anime community!
Nov 6, 2015 8:26 PM
Jun 2015
10.A show that I love. I love everything about it. Is it flawed? Yes, there's nothing without flaws, but not a single flaw bothers me.
9.Similar to 10 except only one flaw kinda bothers me.
8.Little to no flaws and very enjoyable.
7.Good/Decent. If it's a seven, I have positive things to say about it. However, this is usually where good yet forgettable shows go.
6.Terribly written guilty pleasure.
5.Forgettable. In fact, completely forgot it.
4.Either too much minor flaws that ruined it, or one or two major flaws that ruin it.
3.Terribly written, can't be a guilty pleasure.
2.My intelligence was insulted.
1.Corpse Party: Tortured Souls, Mars of Destruction and Pupa level of bad. Either terrible in every sense of the world or the worst adaptation I've ever seen(Looking at you Pupa and Tortured Souls)
Nov 6, 2015 8:29 PM

Jan 2011
10 - 6 - heh
5 - meh
4 - 1 - bleh
Nov 6, 2015 8:49 PM

Apr 2015
10- Good
9- Fine
8- meh
7- Bleh
6- Pretty bad.
5- Badder
4- Shit
3- Vomit
2- Dog Vomit
1-Call of cthulhu
Nov 6, 2015 8:51 PM

Dec 2012
Garrahan90 said:
How do you guys rate anime? What do you consider and expect from a serie? What makes a 8+ anime?

Story (was it entertaining and well written?)
Characters (were they likable and well crafted)
Emotional impact (did I care about what's going on? Did it make me feel happy, sad, etc?)
Technical specs (music, animation, pacing)
The Ending (was it good, did it fit the show, loose ends?)
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Nov 6, 2015 8:52 PM

Aug 2015
10 = Legendary
9 = Phenomenal
8 = Fantastic
7 = Really Good
6 = Good
5 = Decent
4 = Poor
3 = Bad
2 = Atrocious
1 = Completely Unwatchable

I rate it purely based on how much I enjoyed it. Really not much else to it than that. I usually have a rating floating around in my head while I'm watching the show and it goes up and down based on some things.
Nov 6, 2015 8:58 PM

Sep 2014
10 - Shinsekai yori
1 to 9 - Everything else
Nov 6, 2015 9:00 PM

Oct 2013
10 = 0 notable criticism, and any publicly known flaws of the anime didn't affect my enjoyment.
9 = very enjoyable, but 1 step short of perfectly enjoyable.
8 = enjoyable, but nothing extraordinary. Alternatively it may simply be an inconsistent anime with moments of brilliance marred by moments of shit.
7 = somewhat enjoyable, but either it's poorly executed or simply somewhat boring in content.
6 & below = I made a mistake of judgment when I picked up the anime in the first place.
Nov 6, 2015 9:06 PM

Oct 2015
Usually I'll rate the anime based on my enjoyment with the show, even though I'm putting a bit of biased judgment as well because I don't want to rate up a show to 10 just because it's my favorite and all, because there might be some flaws that takes it back from the perfect 10 in my opinion, that only a few anime that I've rated has gotten through 9 to 10 in overall, so far.

Oh, and I tend to rate the anime when I feel I have watched enough episodes for me to get the score (with exception of one-shot Specials or OVAs), even though it may be going up and down as I watch more because of enjoyment as stated earlier, if the characters are likable and all.
StarryWindyNov 6, 2015 9:12 PM
Nov 6, 2015 9:29 PM

Oct 2014
10: Amazing, one of my favourite anime!
9: Really good, but not quite a 10
8: Enjoyable, above average
7: High average
6: Low average
5: Not very good
4: Bad. Usually will only complete if it's short
3: Really bad.
2: There is barely anything good about this anime
1: WTF did I just watch? Terrible, painful to watch. This is most common for anime around 1 minute long under the genre "dementia".

8+ is reserved for amazing anime. Often this is because the comedy was beautiful, but I have giving this high of ratings for non-comedy anime too. 8+ currently represents the top 15% of the anime I've watched.
Nov 7, 2015 2:15 AM

May 2015
Why do people think you can rate on anything other than enjoyment? Enjoyment is the end result.
Nov 7, 2015 2:25 AM

Apr 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why do people think you can rate on anything other than enjoyment? Enjoyment is the end result.
Well that just flat out isn't true, for some people. Considering some people take enjoyment in different ways. I literally enjoy witnessing a show be executed well. And very short term enjoyment that leaves no long term impact is not nearly as a large factor in rating for me. There are also people who will be legitimately rating a show through proper techniques including critically evaluating multiple concepts/things that happened during the show.

Rating on enjoyment isn't really rating a show is it? I mean your just doing it for yourself and not doing it properly which is what rating really means. You don't see professional reviewers for movies just talk about enjoyment, the have to tackle other parts to give a more objective opinion.

Those are reasons why someone may rate on anything other than enjoyment.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Nov 7, 2015 2:30 AM

Apr 2015
10:
Well masterpieces shouldn't have any issues with them. I should like most, if not all of the characters. I should enjoy the plot and the soundtrack. It should have art that works well with the show. All masterpieces are enjoyed the whole way through. These are shows I won't forget anytime soon, and always will have a place as my personal favourites. Flawless in my eyes or I'm just overlooking issues because I love it way to much.
9:
These are amazing shows that I consider some of the best shows shows I have ever watched. They are enjoyed the whole way through and I will have loved them thoroughly. They are quite similar to masterpieces, but they are probably just slightly worse. There might not be any issues with these shows, but just for some minuscule reason they are being held back from getting a 10/10.
8:
Once again incredible shows. They are still considered extremely good. They probably just have some extremely minor issues with it that held it back from being any higher. Enjoyed throughout the entire show.
7:
These are shows that were very good. Similar to all ratings so far I enjoyed these shows for just about the entire time. recommended shows!
6:
These would be good shows that have some issues. I still liked them and don't regret watching them, but they weren't amazing. These could get boring after a while or leave me a little unsatisfied once they are completed. Shows with problems however they still have some good qualities that allow for a solid watch. This shows are above average, thus I find them quite good.
5:
Now I start getting into shows that aren't as good. 5/10's are barely good. They are not bad shows; I still say they are good, but barely. These shows have some big problems that keep it from being better. Maybe this can be considered average (even though average is probably bad lol) I don't recommend watching these for the most part, however they are an enjoyable watch.
4:
These shows are the best of the worst. They have some redeeming qualities that allowed me to watch these, and get solid enjoyment from them. They won't leave me with anything though.
3:
These are pretty bad. I can still watch them though. Probably fails in most departments. I could enjoy these shows a little bit. Or maybe I don't enjoy them, it really depends. Still it isn't ALL bad.
2:
These are almost terrible. They would have maybe 1 or 2 good things about it. Not that much of an enjoyable watch. :/
1:
1/10 is the same for anyone I would assume. These are terrible in every way. Nothing good about these.

TL;DR
1-2: Bad shows
3-4 Not the worst thing, but nothing I talk that well about. Some solid parts
5-10 Good to amazing.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Nov 7, 2015 2:37 AM
Mar 2015
by enjoyment and plot twist
Nov 7, 2015 2:41 AM

Sep 2014
10. nice
9. alright
8. bad
7 garbage
6- 1 all shit
Nov 7, 2015 3:46 AM

Aug 2013
10/10 An anime that has been able to capture my full attention and managed to entertain me every single episode.
A rich, plot filled show, with amazing and likable characters and story that i usually finish in one go.

9/10 An interesting show with amazing characters and character development but not Binge-worthy. It's very likable but it has it's mild and nearly nonexistent downs in its appeal.

8/10 Usually a very good show with a promising story, good characters, ok character development and an interesting plot. However it has some mild mistakes and elements which i didn't like(Mostly some annoying characters).

7/10 A watchable show that's not really good at "explaining it self". These shows are usually "hard" to finish and only manage to entertain me at certain points.

6/10 This place is reserved for terrible manga adaptations and archetype based compositions of random events, that are just plain bad. The only thing they have going for them is maybe good animation and or art and soundtrack (And sometimes there's decent anime where only the ending is terrible).

5/10 Terrible shows which I've barely managed to finish and i never want to see again. "Bad" would be a compliment for these shows.

Everything under 5/10 us a horrific abomination and a monstrosity of a "show" that really has nothing going for it. I score them based on their animation, art and soundtrack from 4/10 to 1/10
OknxrNov 7, 2015 3:49 AM
Nov 7, 2015 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
• 10: Best of the best. Entertained throughout the show completely.
• *9: Worth keeping. Entertained throughout the show almost completely.
• *8: A must-watch. Could've done better nevertheless enjoyed it.
• *7: Be sure to try it later. It was alright but doesn't deserve a higher score.
• *6: Worth a try. Didn't really enjoy it but it was kind of entertaining.
• *5: Not bad, but not special either. Had good and bad parts but the bad parts had a large majority.
• *4: Bad, but a guilty pleasure! Below average and was not enjoyable.
• - 3: Worthless! I consider anything between 1 and 3 really boring and not enjoyable.
• No Score: Normally not given to any anime; only watching animes.
Nov 7, 2015 4:01 AM

Jun 2014
I rate it based on the plot, art, pacing and experience I get from it. For example there are anime series that are 24 minutes, but they are so good that feel like 5 minutes have passed, that's how enjoyable I find them.
Nov 7, 2015 4:12 AM

Aug 2015
50% Enjoyment 50% Quality
Nov 7, 2015 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
Generally speaking how most do:
10 to 9 = Excellent
8 to 7 = Great
6 = Above average
5 = Average
4 = Below average
3 to 2 = Bad
1 = Awful

However my average given score tends to be about 7, because I rarely start watching something I have doubts about enjoying. I would rather drop something I'm not having a good time with than force myself to complete it, and since I don't like rating/judging something I haven't finished, I doubt I'll ever give out many 3-1 scores.
Nov 7, 2015 4:39 AM

Feb 2013
How do you guys rate anime?
rolling a dice

What do you consider and expect from a serie?
moe loli ecchi action fantasy harem

What makes a 8+ anime?
cute girls

and lol@everyone associating words and sentences with the numbers >_> like what's the fucking point, they all mean the same thing: you like anime rated 10 more than anime rated 9 more than anime rated 8 etc, sometimes with a pretense of objectivity
Nov 7, 2015 4:46 AM

Jul 2015
romagia said:
and lol@everyone associating words and sentences with the numbers >_> like what's the fucking point, they all mean the same thing: you like anime rated 10 more than anime rated 9 more than anime rated 8 etc, sometimes with a pretense of objectivity

It's not the numbers being associated with the words/sentences, it's the greater or lesser feelings of enjoyment that are being associated with them. Really it's not that complicated or bizarre of a concept. :P
Nov 7, 2015 4:47 AM

May 2015
10: Perfect. A must watch to everyone
9: Brilliant. Definitely a breath of fresh air
8: Gr8. I'm enjoying watching it despite some flaws
7: Good. Could be done better, but I didn't regret it
6: Okay. Has a lot of flaws, but still watchable
5: Average. Watching de'javu things isn't fun.
4-2: Bad. Why I'm still watching this shit?
1: ****. I'm surprised why I did finished it. Am I a masochist???

I rated an anime both subjectively and objectively.
Nov 7, 2015 4:50 AM

Jan 2013
10 - made me hard
9-amazing but it didnt make me hard (SnK and wixoss are 9 cuz i didnt like season ending even tho its a ten in al other aspects)
8-entertaning
7-could have been better
6-why did i even finish this
1-pure hate
Nov 7, 2015 5:00 AM

Feb 2013
Mystifire said:
romagia said:

It's not the numbers being associated with the words/sentences, it's the greater or lesser feelings of enjoyment that are being associated with them. Really it's not that complicated or bizarre of a concept. :P
=> they all mean the same thing: you like anime rated 10 more than anime rated 9 more than anime rated 8 etc
Nov 7, 2015 5:01 AM

Jul 2015
romagia said:
Mystifire said:

=> they all mean the same thing: you like anime rated 10 more than anime rated 9 more than anime rated 8 etc

Hey you quoted yourself! Good job! :D
Nov 7, 2015 5:03 AM

Apr 2015
Mystifire said:
romagia said:

I want to be praised by senpai too.
Nov 7, 2015 5:07 AM

Feb 2013
Mystifire said:
romagia said:

it still has no point; really it's not that complicated or bizarre of a concept
Nov 7, 2015 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
Tylaen said:
Mystifire said:

I want to be praised by senpai too.

With the best Lancer as your avatar, how could I not? ;3
Nov 7, 2015 5:09 AM

Feb 2013
Praland said:
1-10 like MAL says: 10 Masterpiece, 9 Great, etc.

and enjoyement is important, if i really enjoyed something, I can give the anime an 7-8 even if its shit.

Nov 7, 2015 5:44 AM

Oct 2013
10 Masterpiece, among the best shows that I've seen.
9 Insanely good, most of them are in my TOP20
8 Very good, good plot, characters, everything is awesome
7 Good anime that has some flaws
6 A fine anime, pretty good, has some flaws but enjoyable
5 Average, nothing special, sometimes boring sometimes enjoyable
4 Bad, boring, not interesting, sometimes watchable
3 Very bad, very boring, feels hard to get through episodes
2 Horrible, feels like getting tortured, cringe and pain throughout the whole anime
1 A pile of dogshit, sometimes funny because of how bad it is
Nov 7, 2015 6:58 AM

Nov 2014
Here's a chart

I just rate my feelings when I finish the anime. The denser when my feelings are, the higher rating anime gets. One may say I'm easy going when they look at my ratings. Don't care. Every adventure is precious to me.
Nov 7, 2015 10:53 AM

May 2015
skill00matic1 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Well that just flat out isn't true, for some people. Considering some people take enjoyment in different ways. I literally enjoy witnessing a show be executed well. And very short term enjoyment that leaves no long term impact is not nearly as a large factor in rating for me. There are also people who will be legitimately rating a show through proper techniques including critically evaluating multiple concepts/things that happened during the show.

Rating on enjoyment isn't really rating a show is it? I mean your just doing it for yourself and not doing it properly which is what rating really means. You don't see professional reviewers for movies just talk about enjoyment, the have to tackle other parts to give a more objective opinion.

Those are reasons why someone may rate on anything other than enjoyment.

How can you have an objective opinion? It's all subjective. Some people are just better at explaining their opinion than others.

I haven't seen a reviewer saying "The show was very boring, but it was also brilliant".

All I see are critics dissecting why a series is enjoyable or not. It's what I do, even if I discuss the philosophy behind Medabots. It made it enjoyable.
Nov 7, 2015 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
10 - One Piece for getting me into Bleach, Bleach for getting me into anime in general and OPM for being pure perfection

9 - The "best of the best" (which doesn´t mean sh*t, really)

8 - Top 20, 25, 30 material

7 - good ones in most aspects

6 - WTF is this

5 - neutral feelings on this one

4 - 0815 Action/ecchi/harem or huge disappointment

3 - 0815 of the 0815 but NOT funny

2 - Worst anime of all time, funny though

1 - just "special" things like re(c)raps or previews from bad animes
Nov 7, 2015 11:29 AM

Jul 2015
I don't rate lower than 5 (and I've only done this once I think)

Partly because I'm careful in picking what I watch and partly because I don't see how an anime I watch can be rated lower since I go by enjoyment .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nov 7, 2015 11:44 AM

Sep 2012
Before rating a show I scream loudly "Allahu Akbar" followed by "la ilahi il allah...", then recite pslams of Bible then sacrifice my blood while repeating ancient sanskrit texts, god appear before me showering me with wisdom of "how to properly rate anime", follow my system if you don't want to rot in hell after you die.

Rating system :-
10 =/= 9,
9 =/= 8,
8 =/= 7,
if you are smart then you can figure out rest yourself.
Nov 7, 2015 12:47 PM

Nov 2014
Inferno_Cop said:
Before rating a show I scream loudly "Allahu Akbar" followed by "la ilahi il allah...", then recite pslams of Bible then sacrifice my blood while repeating ancient sanskrit texts, god appear before me showering me with wisdom of "how to properly rate anime", follow my system if you don't want to rot in hell after you die.

Rating system :-
10 =/= 9,
9 =/= 8,
8 =/= 7,
if you are smart then you can figure out rest yourself.

You just described me O_O
Nov 7, 2015 12:50 PM

Jun 2013
I don't think about it, I have a rating in mind automatically when I finish something.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite English Dub VA and Their Best Performance

Jackof-allspades - 36 minutes ago

8 by UkRs »»
2 minutes ago

» A character who is impossible to love? ( 1 2 )

torsan88 - Jun 6

50 by PeripheralVision »»
4 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

80 by CurrentlyReading »»
24 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

105 by billybub »»
38 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

135 by Jeevanandhnr »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.