Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 19, 2009 5:48 AM

Jun 2008
This episode was actually pretty good.
Aug 20, 2009 1:27 AM

Sep 2007
I don't know why people keep on crying the anime sucks because the game is much better (At least, in most gaming forums), I'm up to Fouzen [Is it written like this? =P] in the game and I love both the anime and the game, Ok, the anime is a little more focused on the relations between characters, but that doesn't mean it's worse does it?

BTW, great episode. =)

Aug 21, 2009 12:36 AM

Jun 2008
Another sentimental episode but at least we put aside the depression issues of Welkin and we saw a development in his relationship with Alicia.

Faldio is already certain that Alicia is a Valkyria. Pretty smart boy that guy. Well the next episode seems to be amazing with big developments, i can't wait to watch it.
MonadAug 21, 2009 1:02 AM
Aug 24, 2009 9:02 AM

Feb 2008
KhalReblic23 said:

And maybe you guys don't remember, but the game is essentially a love story wrapped around the struggle of squad 7 and the war. The romance between welkin and alicia was the cornerstone of almost everything, and even in the game had the most dedicated time as far as cutscenes and such...

That makes perfect sense. I really enjoy the character development and emotional part of the show. The fighting scenes are somehow short and rather unimportant imo. ;)
Aug 25, 2009 8:35 AM
Mar 2009
So they cut the engineers out, put in Zaka, and don't get the other tank? They are definitely over-exaggerating the Edelweiss's power.

Wow, Bruhl was so insignificant to the war that the Imperials lost it in two minutes o_O

So now that Faldio knows Alicia is a Valkyrian...
Sep 12, 2009 12:31 PM

Jul 2008
that was really nice when they went back to bruhl. its like everyone grew up a bit, or at least changed a lot. omg that end that end!!! phew so welkin finallly changed t his old self. a bit too smoothly if you ask me but it was about time i think. now what will happen to this love traingle?

Sep 16, 2009 11:09 PM

Jul 2008
well they got the town back, welkin cries finally, and it turns out alicia is a valkyrian, that about sums it up
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 3, 2009 10:38 AM

May 2009
omg i wished that isara didnt died in the anime, oh and the part when welkin cried was sad but kinda funy XD
Oct 4, 2009 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
Absolutely loved this episode. It was a time to look back and remember the fond memories they shared. And Welkin finally broke down.

It seems like the series will be getting back to the overall plot now.
Oct 25, 2009 3:12 PM

Feb 2009
Was I the only one who noticed that rosie had the doll which she put on isara's gravestone not 1 ep ago...? Did she change her mind or sumthing..? Kinda ruined the entire ep for me :P
Pantyshots are a different matter entirely

Mar 10, 2010 1:20 AM

Mar 2007
Lol at the team going into battle at full tilt. I'm sure im not the only one saying this but: Don't you wish the Lancers and Edelweiss were just as accurate in the game as they were in the anime? I always raged when a target was 5 feet in front of Largo and he'd completely miss his target.

I was expecting them to be at the hill by the windmill when they made up. But this was just as good. And why do jp male voice actors cry so horribly? That that cry welkin let out felt so fake... They should've redone that a few times to make it right but shoganai :(

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Apr 25, 2010 4:27 PM
Mar 2010
Good episode... I think it's the right conclusion for mini-series 16-19. Now the main plot must continue, we must hear how war evolve, and when Alicia's power begins to appear definitely....
In this episode Welkin and Faldio don't meet... but I hope they will do in next episode....
Apr 26, 2010 2:38 AM

Feb 2010
And on we march. Glad that Welkin finally was able to let his feelings out. now maybe... he can be less of a total asshole for the rest of the series.

All the flashbacks....
Dammit why are these directors so damn good at pulling just the right strings to get tears rolling down my cheeks.
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
May 1, 2010 10:57 PM
May 2008
Just a little comment on the OST linked to this episode, I can't seem to find the BGM played when Squad 7 is taking back Bruhl (the battle scene)

Timing of the BGM is 13:45 to 15:35.

Can anyone tell me which tracklist in the OST it is? Or has the OST omitted this BGM?
Jul 11, 2010 12:42 AM

Sep 2008
Great episode. Glad to see Welkin becoming honest with himself and his own emotions and letting all that pent up sadness out... That was probably the first step to letting Isara go properly too. It was nice to see that Alicia was nearby when that happened, and that Welkin could face her with a smile once again. :)
Sep 12, 2010 11:21 PM
Jul 2009
Did I read that right? "It's only been half a month." (when he entered his house) That's got to be wrong.

ChronosXIII said:

Had to go and spoil that for myself as well since I didn't know what you were talking about. Damn that all-knowing wiki!!!!

abandoned2014Sep 12, 2010 11:26 PM
Sep 13, 2010 12:20 AM

Aug 2010
I'm so glad that team seven was able to fight like they normally do; usually when someone dies in anime everyone's moral lowers and are unable to accomplish stuff. Also, I found it it interesting that Welkin cried like that. He is usually overly calm, even when all those Darcsens were killed.
Sep 19, 2010 12:39 AM
Feb 2008
Over 9000 shallow characters are still making a fuss over another shallow character.
Oct 10, 2010 3:59 PM
Mar 2010
Good ep, i liked how they spent 2 eps devoted mainly to Isara's death. It feels more realistic because Welkin wouldn't have got over it quickly.

I don't mind the lack of long fights, looks like next fight will be longer anyway.
Oct 17, 2010 3:32 PM
Sep 2009
Damn, epic cry there by Welkin.
Jun 6, 2011 11:37 PM

Apr 2009
Ah man, I thought we were over the sad phase already. Fine! Sniff...sniff

Well at least Alicia and Welkin are finally holding hands.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 8, 2011 7:30 AM

Apr 2009
Finally, Welkin gets up from his Heroic BSoD and finds catharsis, with the help of Alicia. He has let go of his emotional baggage and is ready to move on. He's back and even holding hands with Alicia! Now we can move on into more asskicking. It's sad that Isara didn't live to see the liberation of Bruhl, the town that she might have come to call home with her loving adopted family. ;_;

Bruhl was quickly retaken because the enemy surrendered quickly. If they resisted longer, I'm sure the battle might have dragged a little longer. That and the small Imperial garrison was probably a rearguard or reserve unit not fit for the frontlines elsewhere. You don't garrison a small, abandoned town with lesser strategic value with your best units, do you? The Empire's best units are most likely out supporting Selvaria and company's operations elsewhere.

Rest in peace, Isara.
To borrow and heavily modify a quote from a certain other show, again:

"Isara is dead.
She's not here anymore!
But on my back,
and in my heart,
she lives on in me!
My bullets are the ones that pierces the enemy!"

Excuse me, I'll be running into a hail of bullets now for being such a fanboy.
Oct 3, 2013 5:17 PM

Nov 2007
That is one sad cry.
Oct 16, 2013 5:13 PM

Sep 2013
Zaka is back :D

Rosie kept the doll :)

And finally the tears flow, so sad :(

They held hands :O
Mar 14, 2014 12:55 AM

Apr 2011
decent episode

I just wish the battles weren't that easy. Did they adapt the Easy Difficulty mode or something? lol
Mar 29, 2015 2:10 AM

Aug 2013
abandoned2014 said:
Did I read that right? "It's only been half a month." (when he entered his house) That's got to be wrong.

ChronosXIII said:

Had to go and spoil that for myself as well since I didn't know what you were talking about. Damn that all-knowing wiki!!!!

Good. Now we'll know the real side of that guy. I never liked him anyway.
Aug 9, 2015 8:25 AM

Oct 2012
So it's not Kreis?
And there's no Shamrock? Awwwwwwwwww :(

Yeah Alicia is a valkyria-jin
As if the OP wasn't so obvious

Tbh it's sadder than the game
Time to cry harder, I guess
"Signature removed"
Dec 24, 2015 11:38 AM
Jan 2010
I came here just to give 5/5 to this beautiful episode, and i clicked on 1 by accident :/ FML
Mar 23, 2016 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, Welkin crying is pretty heart wrenching.
Almost cried too.

:(
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Apr 29, 2016 8:16 AM

Mar 2014
Welkin is strong . He is too burdened but he stays strong just like Isara-san .
"Time really flies .." and tears finally flows . Reclaiming their "Edelweisses" .
VERY GREAT EPISODE . It still hits hard .. by reminiscence .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2016 6:27 PM

Jul 2014
Lol, of course the battle only lasted a minute, in the game getting an A Rank on the Recapture of Bruhl required you to do it in 1 turn.

CONNECTIONS.

The entire scene with Welkin inside his now disheveled house was so well directed. Going back and forth between time in particular segments of the house emphasizes on the one thing he lost over the course of the war, and the slow breakdown of his stoic facade almost broke me too. Not to mention the slow tilt down to the final shot of them holding hands, signifying the reconciliation between Nature Boy and Baker Girl. By far the best episode, if not second after 18.
KatoBytesMay 22, 2016 7:51 PM
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Apr 25, 2020 1:21 AM

Mar 2019
Yeay! Zaka joined the squad!
Too bad he didn't come with Shamrock, his signature tank with his personal touch of Darcsen pattern paintjob.

Now that I think about it, THERE ARE NO KREIS AND LEON!!!
Too bad, they are an interesting pair. Kreis and Leon are two mechanics in the game that take care of the militia's machinery, including Edelweiss, and also friends of Isara, since they share the same speciality, engineering. After Isara's death, Kreis is the one driving and taking care of Edelweiss.

Things are looking bright again after the squad 7 reclaimed Bruhl. I just wish Faldio would stop bothering Alicia and Welkin.

Looks like next episode is the clash at Naggiar Plain, with Selvaria's power's first appearance (in the game, her power appear first in Barious Desert battle, which is absent in the anime).
Nov 7, 2021 12:22 PM

Apr 2016
I'm fine with the characters getting more time than battles, but the show would be better if we would see more strategy in battles.
Anyway, now we're approaching to the end, so now is the time to have the best battles. I will be okay with the action focusing in those battles instead in the battles we're already saw (I liked the battle against the train in the mine, though).

And about the game... Well, I don't think the story and the character were its strong point but the strategy gameplay, so I don't think the story is worse in the anime than in the game. Some characters like Faldio came off well in this version, and I think that's good. However, even if the anime focuses more on characters than in battles, we should see good final battles.

Let's see what the show has to offer in the last 7 chapters.
Feb 12, 2023 4:06 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
kkmaster1337 said:
they retook bruhl quick...
the part where welkin let out his tears was heart breaking...
we get to see how general gunther looks like
ARGHHHHHH ISARA'S STILL DEAD

Yeah, indeed it was quite, I feel like it was way longer in the game, tbh I m glad that was over quick so the rest could come, very well done on this episode.
They really did their best with Isara's death, that scream at the end felt brutal.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.