Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2015 9:07 PM

Feb 2013
Ugh.....cried so much......as soon as she started to disappear during his performance, after she said thank you while carrying her down the stairs....and didn't stop until maybe even a few minutes after the episode ended.....

Great series. 9/10

I almost want to give it a 10/10.....I just might.....

My prediction was correct for this show though....I cried a whole bunch....wasn't sure if they were going to be happy tears or sad ones, but I knew they were coming lol. Although they ended up being a mixture of both.....mostly sad though.
unmemorableheroMar 20, 2015 9:19 PM
Mar 20, 2015 9:29 PM

May 2012
She should live and get hit by a train.. :D

Mar 20, 2015 10:03 PM

Apr 2009
Well that was it, it was almost too painful to watch but I wanted to see how it would turn out and the show did just that gracefully. I haven't read the manga but IMHO overall, this a good series. After all that was said and done, and as cliché as this may sound; thank you for the music, Kousei and Kaori.

Deserves a 9/10 in my list.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 20, 2015 10:44 PM

May 2013
masterpiece.
Mar 20, 2015 10:48 PM

Aug 2013
My heart is fried and broken
I cried like a baby twice...
I knew that she always had feelings for him, just didn't know that they'd be revealed in this way...
An OVA to come? Can't wait!♥
This show is definetly one of the best fo 2014-2015!
10/10, no doubt! ♥
Mar 20, 2015 11:06 PM

Dec 2013
As a pianist who grew up with a mother who was just like Kousei's mother in the way that she was so strict on me playing piano. This show struck home.

To those that think this show is psychologically unlogical and very very irrational, I think that this show was not about focusing on the reality of how people would normally deal with these situations but rather to take the audience on an adventure of filled with love, sorrow and joys of life. It teaches us that every moment we have in this world we should treasure it, and that death is inevitable. I believe that this show shows in life things happen whether it'd be sad or happy, nothing can be predictable. Because of that, we have to make best of what is given with us.

There is a famous saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I believe that this saying is one that really lies with Kaori Miyazono. She knew her end was inevitable but she did not just give up and wait for her death to come, instead she did all the things she felt she wanted to do but never had the courage to. She planned so carefully the path she can take so that she would carve her name into Kousei's heart so that he would never forget. In the end, she finally succeeded in doing so. In terms of romance, this anime isn't all about romance, because in the end Kousei never ended up dating any of them but I believe that the relationship between Kousei and Kaori is one that benefits each other. They met one another and Kaori helped Kousei in terms of dealing with his trauma of losing his mother and his meaning of life, but in return, Kousei also helped Kaori live through her last few months in life in joy and helped her live her life to the fullest, it was a win for both of them.

For those that find this show very unconventional, I think you are over thinking this. This show not only incorporates classical music into every episode, it also uses it to create feelings and emotions of the character's relationships with each other. They truly did a great job with the music and the OST's as well as openings and endings. I felt that it fit every scene very nicely.

As for the art, wow... I haven't seen such amazing art from an anime in a long time. The art of this anime was not over the top, nor was it the normal modern art style of animes you see these days such as Sword Art Online, it has its own special style that makes everything seem so beautiful. It also does a great job with the color, everything was so colorful, from the character's hair colors to the scenery of the city. They did not use the same background for every scene and there was so many varieties of settings it never felt boring. Unlike the way some animes overuses the classroom setting way too much.

Overall, this anime in my opinion deserves a 10/10 for the category of anime it belongs to. If I had to give a logical and more rational rating I believe that this anime should be around 8.5/10 - 9/10. But because this show struck home and it actually connected to me personally I am going to give this series a 10/10. Also this last episode was 5/5.

I think I've cried a few times throughout this series and it was very emotional overall, it brought me laughing, to tears and this last episode probably was the most emotional of all since we got to hear Kaori's true feelings that she wrote in a letter to Kousei. Well, I guess now its much easier on Kousei since he doesn't have to choose between two girls that mean the world to him. Tsubaki gets to have a chance afterall. But someone in their relationship I think they won't ever forget about Kaori. Also I kinda wished they told us about what happened to Kousei's piano competition. I want to know if he won or not, but I think they hinted he just won.

Arigatou and sayonara Kaori Miyazono.
kingsheep812Mar 20, 2015 11:58 PM
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Mar 20, 2015 11:31 PM

Sep 2008
There are just so many problems with this show.

Terrible misplaced comedy, abusive female leads and overused flashbacks are probably some of the biggest offenders for me.

Still, there were some scenes that were done very well. The performances were great to watch and there were some feels here and there when it wasn't shoving them down my throat.

I enjoyed it but it could've been a lot better.
Mar 20, 2015 11:43 PM

Feb 2013
Even after reading the manga first and knowing what was going to happen, this episode was really sad.

I can understand where people are coming from with saying it is over-dramatic, but I still really enjoyed it. The ending was sad, but realistic, and at least Kaori was able to live her life like she wanted to before she died. 10/10
Mar 21, 2015 12:20 AM
Nov 2008
I wish creators supercanceraidsebola for killing Kaori
Mar 21, 2015 12:22 AM

Mar 2012
Needs another episode.
Mar 21, 2015 2:18 AM

Jul 2012
This was a powerful anime in terms of tragic romance.

The ending concerning Kaori's death was heavily foreshadowed.

Kousei's performance was truly breath taking. It had me saying, "WOW!" from my chair.

This anime really hit the nail on the head when it came to getting the audience to feel the characters pain.

Overall, this was a GREAT tragic, romantic, love-story story with excellent music.

~Great episode and series!!!
Mar 21, 2015 3:00 AM

May 2013
Man, this episode was everything I expected, so good. The part where Kaori appeared and started playing together with Arima, I knew that the operation failed and she had died.
Mar 21, 2015 3:22 AM

Jan 2013
Overwall Anime was great, great characters, great character development, great drama, great romance, but I don't like the ending that much, I did want for Tsubaki to win but not that way. Still a great show 8/10
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Mar 21, 2015 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Now that the series has concluded, what were your guys favourite scenes?

Personally I enjoyed the scene in episode 11 or 12 with the fireflies as I enjoyed how they constructed that scene.

I also enjoyed the scene in episode 5 with the fireworks.

Those two were probably the most memorable scenes of the series for me :)

what about you guys ?
removed-userMar 21, 2015 4:44 AM
Mar 21, 2015 4:16 AM

Jan 2008
lyfeofcarbon said:

I got the feeling that this anime's point was to fill itself with so many memorable scenes that ultimately none of them has the impact at all. I get it, they wanted to be emotional, they wanted to leave an impression but they tried to do it in the worst way possible — by bombarding the audience with every sappy move in history of cinema at every moment and not knowing when to stop. From what I remember those scenes where done great from the point of directing, but the abundance deprives them from any emotion.

So there are no scenes I will remember, sadly. For me Shigatsu is pretty on the outside, inside... well, there is nothing. 4/10 overall, didn't do it for me.
Mar 21, 2015 4:31 AM

Mar 2010
I gave this anime 8/10. I didn't think it was a Masterpiece that I would recommend to all my anime watching friends. But I would definitely tell the ones who like music/drama/romance with slight comedy shows to give it a shot.
Mar 21, 2015 4:42 AM
Apr 2014
Sometimes I hate it when I'm right with my predictions. What a "surprise". They both fell in love with each other. Everybody knew so why not just stop the farce and tell Watari the truth... I bet he knew it anyway. (it was even more ridiculous than Tsubaki not realizing she loved Kousei)

The score surprises me a bit tbh. The second half of the final episode was cool but overall the plot was way too predictable in the second half. And when drama becomes predictable it's just annoying as fuck. I can only repeat myself. The episodes which didn't concentrate on the drama were best in this anime. Basically the first half and onme or two episodes in the second half(like when Kousei, Takeshi and Emi stopped hating each other).

I mean I judge all anime by how much I enjoyed it, too, so I can't blame people if they give a high score for something they enjoyed but usually anime which is that predictable doesn't get that high scores. That's what surprises me.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
I can't help but feel this show gets its praise more for the kind of show it is (hardcore KEY style melodrama) and the look of it more than anything to do with execution. At the end of the day we get our "profound" meaning and sob story ending as could have been predicted episodes ago where the story probably could have ended, but my lack of empathy for or lasting interest in the cast leaves it feeling oh so hollow and I felt this way with the manga too. They just aren't particularly likeable for the most part and I can't help but feel that it shifted gears from a decent personal story about a troubled musician to romantic melodrama to the detriment of its potential. In any case as they say its all over but the crying for those that get really emotional over this sort of stuff.

All I can do is agree to this.

Can't even give a "low score" because it was better than that but not as good as my average scores. I really need half points.
Mar 21, 2015 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
Ciara said:
lyfeofcarbon said:

I got the feeling that this anime's point was to fill itself with so many memorable scenes that ultimately none of them has the impact at all. I get it, they wanted to be emotional, they wanted to leave an impression but they tried to do it in the worst way possible — by bombarding the audience with every sappy move in history of cinema at every moment and not knowing when to stop. From what I remember those scenes where done great from the point of directing, but the abundance deprives them from any emotion.

So there are no scenes I will remember, sadly. For me Shigatsu is pretty on the outside, inside... well, there is nothing. 4/10 overall, didn't do it for me.

I agree with you in that Shigatsu indeed does hit us very heavily with many many many literary elements and devices. I can also understand where you are coming from in that it may be overbearing at times due to such heavy usage.

I think part of the issue was the heavy reuse of certain elements; such as the cuts too Kousei being underwater unable to hear the sounds. In addition too this I'm guessing people could also be put off by the re occurring usage of him recollecting his interactions or similarities of a situation to that of his mother.

In respect too the usage of those elements I guess in respect too the show they were limited in how they could engage the elements too the story. I guess they were trying to re enforce the certain concepts and ideals about the state of mind of the characters. the variation in how these elements are portrayed over the course of the show is too highlight the differences in the characters perception as the story progresses.

But as for these two scenes that I listed. I truly enjoyed them and liked the usage of devices and the subsequent meaning. In addition on just a visual level I enjoyed the usage of the particular framing of the scene too the lighting of the scene to how the characters were used in the scenes.

The firework scene was nice in that the burnt out but still glowing firework was a reference to herself, almost out of time but still hanging on to what is left. kousei's firework was himself. I enjoyed this scene in that Kaori made both the fireworks dance alive and in the spotlight for a short moment in reference too kouseis and kaoris performance.

As for the Firefly scene, I enjoyed the scenery and how they used the firefly again as a reference to kaori. I just thought it was beautifully done :).

I'm sorry if they weren't memorable to you though :'(
removed-userMar 21, 2015 4:50 AM
Mar 21, 2015 6:14 AM
Feb 2015
I really Like this anime.. but the writers made a mistake about the ending..
If Only The Writers made kaori survive this will be masterpiece.. i rate it 5/10..
why i keep watching sad anime.. after Anohana , next thiss one :/
(srry for bad english xD)
i heard there is coming OVA this may, and its original story, i hope they planning an alternate happy ending thumbs up

PS:I cry so much and im a male..WHY KAORI MUST DIE?!
Mar 21, 2015 6:49 AM

Feb 2014
Overall the anime was great. You see a character development,the romance and the drama. I'll give it an overall score of 9/10. Not a masterpeice but still a great show.
Mar 21, 2015 8:13 AM
Jan 2015
Even though this show irritated me more than anything so far I still cried... o.O
For me it's 7/10 I think
I did manage to watch it till the end, i enjoyed the music, cried a little
but wouldn't watch it again
Mar 21, 2015 9:12 AM

Jun 2010
MC abused by his mom, magically forgives her as if she never caned a 5 year old (or somewhere around that age). Girl of his dreams abuses him physically and verbally, while playful, still its pretty ridiculous and mostly used for comedic relief but in a show trying to be so serious it was ridiculously damaging to the story. Kaori felt like a joke the entire series, her being sick felt like such a heavy handed plot device that it just felt so unnatural.

Frankly it felt like it was just trying painfully hard to trick people into thinking it was deep and emotional which sadder still seems it has suceeded, when all it ever was was emotional bait for those who can't look past its cute girl dying and not-even-actually-tragic hero.

4/10. I was tempted to bring it up after all was revealed in the final ep but I can't bring myself to with how poorly the rest of the show was executed. Pretty fucking annoyed the show was another bait and switch (I wanted music and was left with scenes rehashed 100xs and a pathetic sob story).
Mar 21, 2015 10:56 AM

May 2009
Damn this anime, damn it... for making a grown man cry.
Even though i knew how it was going to end, I still hoped like a fool till the end, till he received that letter.
I didn't even bond with this anime like I used to with each romance/tragedy.. but, "I cry when angels deserve to die."
It was lovely to learn the truth that I already knew, and it was nice to see the past Kaori-chan. It was nice to hear those words they should've exchanged many times.
At least he has good friends with him, there is hope for the future, maybe with Tsubaki? :)
I'll definitely miss Kaori, and the rest.

All in all a lovely anime, a bit cliche and typical, but no excuse not to enjoy it and sympathize. Not sure about the rating, maybe an 8, I have to think about it.

It's funny, a sentence that came to my mind as soon as I saw the ending, and the spring, it was:
"I will be waiting for you, in the spring where I met you."
The name of the anime makes sense now, but I'd also like the one that came to me.
Mar 21, 2015 12:09 PM

Mar 2012
Didn't like it as a music anime.
Didn't like it as a romance anime.
Didn't like it as a comedy anime.

As much as I don't want to compare this series with Nodame Cantabile, Nodame Cantabile nailed those 3 which is what made it so enjoyable.

Most of the music scenes in Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso were plagued either by the constant trauma thing they had going, flashbacks or just too much talking. The comedy was mostly stale with the cheap "violent girl beats the crap out of MC" gags and as for the romance it was your typical love triangle where the MC falls for new girl and childhood friend gets screwed over. Although in this case the childhood friend was oblivious as all hell so she didn't realize she loved the MC until she started getting annoyed at the fact that he was showing interest in the new girl.

It wasn't horrible, it had its moments. Like when Amira and Kaori performed together during the violin competition. It was fantastic and my favorite part of the series, the second being Emi's "comeback" performance. Unfortunately the rest was just a bunch of melodrama and flashbacks.
Mar 21, 2015 12:47 PM

Jul 2009
Still crying...really it was hard to stop after he was playing and imagine Kao-chan playing with him, it was so beautiful and sad! Then when he reads the letter, it was sad to hear all that and imagine how it was to Kaori to always know that she would die...and glad Tsubaki came to say that, she is lovely, hope they stick together... 9/10
Mar 21, 2015 1:18 PM
Feb 2015
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!! STUPENDO CAZZOOOO!
Mar 21, 2015 1:20 PM
Dec 2011
I actually thought the series was 24 episodes so I didn't entirely see her death coming. But, I'm glad she died. Not because I didn't like her, far from it. With all the drama the last 6-7(?) episodes had, I really wanted the author to go through with it, and end on a depressing note. It makes it all the more depressing with Arima knowing that she liked him too, but never got to hear it in person.

Kinda sucks we didn't get any closure on anything else. Guess I'll hand it a 8 or a 9
Cute, not pedo.
Mar 21, 2015 2:43 PM

Mar 2013
Its over, Kaori :(
beautiful ending that match the whole series together
wiill defitlney miss this anime.
Mar 21, 2015 3:31 PM

Feb 2010
I just hope that there will be another end on this anime, where Kaori lives and also where Tsubaki got Kousei
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Mar 21, 2015 3:54 PM
Nov 2011
For me it felt like the 2nd part of the show fell off.
Felt like Tubaki was there just because nothing happened with the heroine and the MC, Watari was pretty much just a plot point.
The piece the duo played 1st time felt more emotional than the one "they" played at the end.
Ending climax was about self-destuctive choices

7/10
Mar 21, 2015 5:47 PM
Dec 2013
Chopin ballade no.1 is piece is about loneliness, and I think it's a very fitting piece to play during that scene. Kudos to the production team/mangaka for their choice of music throughout this series.
Mar 21, 2015 7:27 PM

Jun 2007
My one pair of complaints about the final episode, small as they may be...

- In the manga, at the end of Kousei's performance and before his goodbye, we get to see the reactions from the other characters and his rivals. While this may have felt like a distraction throughout the series, it made no sense to keep going back to them during the anime, but not include that final piece which underscored the relationship between the three pianists.

- The other thing that disappointed me is the decision to remove almost all of the operating room scenes from the first half of the episode. Anime-only viewers often came away with the idea that the final performance between the two was just another of Kousei's fantasies that he had during performances (such as the drowning in the ocean when struggling early in the series), whereas with the manga we see a connection between Kaori dying in the OR and then appearing before Kousei on stage, which suggests that rather than Kousei fantasizing, the author was trying to convey that Kaori's spirit appeared to him for the one last promised duet and a farewell. That is a pretty big difference.
Mar 21, 2015 8:43 PM

Apr 2010
There is no miracle afterall
Mar 21, 2015 9:55 PM

Jan 2013
i thought this anime was a heart warming romance before starting it. hell was i wrong! didn't expect to cry either, but that last scene totally got me. all this character development to finally end like this, gawd... i really liked the originality though! and damn, life can be a bitch
Mar 21, 2015 10:37 PM

Jul 2011
43211 said:
Hmmm, I guess Kosei didnt collect enough green light orbs to make a miracle happen.

lol
Mar 21, 2015 10:46 PM

Mar 2010
This anime is beautiful. I love it. While the ending is sad, but I am satisfied. Hope the anime industry could bring out and produce more animes such as this. The atmosphere reminded me of Nodame, Honey & Clover, Usagi Drop and etc.
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Mar 21, 2015 11:16 PM

Sep 2010
I liked the ending. Really beautiful anime.
Now I FINALLY get why it's called Your Lie In April.
Mar 21, 2015 11:29 PM

May 2010
The first half was okay at best. Wasn't a big fan of it.

The 2nd half was AMAZING. I loved how Emi was crying nex to Kaori, Kousei's pretty amazing for influencing both of them (along with many other) The letter was heartbreaking.

Her lie in april broke my heart, I rewatched that part so many times. Things can't change back, can they? I have too many feels. Really the perfect lie one could expect. I mean, the title is the thing which made me so interested in this show AND will keep it memorable for me. I just love it.

Kashiwagi's experience coming from bl books made me chuckle.

That confession. I nearly got teary-eyed. With that ED in the background, perfect ED this show could ever have.

And I think Kousei ended up with Tsubaki, she is a bit like Kaori now that I notice... The same aggressiveness. Deep somewhere in my heart, I still want him to go Aiza route but yeah, that seems unnecessary with how it ended. I am satisfied yet sad. Still this show had ups and down with the cringeworthy drama which lasted for a while. The ED was perfect, yeah, but it is still an 8. Okaaay 8.44. Okay 8.4444445. (God y u give me this end... It is making me make unfair judgments...)
Mar 22, 2015 12:44 AM

Mar 2013
Didn't end up crying as I was already aware of the ending... but still that letter and the post ending credits after all of that, made me feel terrible sad :'( While quite aware of the ending I was really hoping for some ridiculous miracle to happen to change the ending for better side :(

Personally I'd prefer happy endings, no matter how cliché it can get than the ones which will leave a sad and awkward taste in my mouth. But then again endings like these are why I feel gravitated towards a particular anime and has an impact better than other anime...

Just hope that ova will be an alternate ending but I know it got it's fairly low chances :(
Mar 22, 2015 2:25 AM

Dec 2012
I'm so sad she died I didn't expect it at all. I definitely really only watched this anime to see the characters play music because those scenes were so beautiful each time. I really liked how the ending played out even though she died ):

And wow that ending song that played during the letter scene was so beautiful.
Mar 22, 2015 3:25 AM

May 2014
Such a sad and beautiful ending. This anime is definitely a masterpiece.

The play from the beginning was very intense while the letter from the second half was emotion and released all the tension built up to that point. It's great that in the end all the mysteries about Kaori are cleared and that Kousei can moves on keeping Kaori in his heart without being pathetic loser.
Overall what I liked the most is the heartwarming and romantic atmosphere. I'm very curious about the OVA.

RandomDeception said:
Though, I always knew that Kousei was a pedophile.
LOL though I'm not sure if he can be called a pedophile while he is a kid himself.
Mar 22, 2015 4:06 AM

Oct 2014
Sad yet beautiful ending. So that was her lie in April, it's just sad that she didn't even had the chance to tell that to Arima personally.

I expected that the first ending song will be played for the last episode because it really suits the mood and that made this episode beautiful.

9/10 for me. Wish there were more heart-touching anime like this :)
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Mar 22, 2015 10:02 AM

Mar 2011
Who was the other girl that was in the picture kaori gave to arima? Is that just an extra character? If anybody knows please tell me. Thanks!
Mar 22, 2015 10:20 AM

Mar 2012
Very heartbreaking indeed. Luckily, he still got Tsubaki and the others to cheer and support him otherwise he'd suffered serious breakdown.
Keep moving forward
Mar 22, 2015 10:28 AM

Oct 2011
Tsubaki kicking him at the end when he was thinking about Kaori irked me more than it should have. I know it is her shtick but that wasn't the appropriate time to do it.
Mar 22, 2015 10:53 AM

Apr 2013
"Sob sob" goodbye, no one is going to miss you.
Mar 22, 2015 11:09 AM

Jun 2011
Gov said:
Tsubaki kicking him at the end when he was thinking about Kaori irked me more than it should have. I know it is her shtick but that wasn't the appropriate time to do it.

Yea, why could she not hug him instead or something. Would fit the mood better >.>
Mar 22, 2015 11:45 AM

Jan 2014
I like all the characters, and I felt all the characters.
I can put my hand on my heart and say that this is probably the best ending to an anime I've ever seen.
I loved it.
Mar 22, 2015 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
OMG IT WAS AMAZING!

I cried soo much! And she liked him! Why? Why? Why bad things happen to good people?!

I loved this anime!
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Mar 22, 2015 1:12 PM

Oct 2009
I'm a sucker for melodrama but this didn't do it for me. Something was off.
Pages (24) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

235 by goodbyesekai »»
Jun 24, 1:58 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2014

362 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

412 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

287 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

327 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 10:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.