Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

If Fate/Hollow Ataraxia didn't exist, would you still like the F/SN servants better than the F/Z ones?(spoilers)

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 23, 2015 9:05 AM

Dec 2014
I find F/Z servants lacking in depth to the likes of F/SN's Archer and their other counterparts ESPECIALLY after HA. I also liked them more even before i had read HA. The only servant that was given more focus (than his counterpart) in F/Z was Gil and Saber was one dimensional in the sense of being the poster girl for Chivalry having not much more going on for her. (it still might be F/SN bias because it was what I read first)

BoneofSwordJan 23, 2015 9:14 AM
Jan 23, 2015 9:09 AM

Jul 2007
BoneofSword said:
I find F/Z servants lacking in depth to the likes of F/SN's Archer and their other counterparts ESPECIALLY after HA. I also liked them more even before i had read HA. The only servant that was given more focus (than his counterpart) in F/Z was Gil and Saber was one dimensional in the sense of being the poster girl for Chivalry having not much more going on for her.

The thing is it can't be chalked up to FZ.

WE SEE examples of that behavior in her past memories too.
Jan 23, 2015 9:23 AM

Dec 2014
CookingPriest said:
BoneofSword said:
I find F/Z servants lacking in depth to the likes of F/SN's Archer and their other counterparts ESPECIALLY after HA. I also liked them more even before i had read HA. The only servant that was given more focus (than his counterpart) in F/Z was Gil and Saber was one dimensional in the sense of being the poster girl for Chivalry having not much more going on for her.

That may be true - it's been a while since I have given fate route a reading. What I remembered is how different Saber felt when i read the F/Z novel and it stuck with me throughout. I usually just reread HF and UBW if I want to refresh the novel...
Jan 23, 2015 9:25 AM

May 2014
BoneofSword said:
CookingPriest said:

That may be true - it's been a while since I have given fate route a reading. What I remembered is how different Saber felt when i read the F/Z novel and it stuck with me throughout. I usually just reread HF and UBW if I want to refresh the novel...

Sadly I'm the same lol, I neglect Fate route so much. I really do have to give it another once over.
Jan 23, 2015 9:41 AM

Aug 2014
How often do you guys even make a full re-playthrough, I only did it twice for each route.
The RN 2006 once way back and 2012 once a month or so ago.
Jan 23, 2015 9:43 AM

Aug 2009
Insertanamehere said:
How often do you guys even make a full re-playthrough, I only did it twice for each route.
Same.

Second playthrough finished a week ago.

First time was 4 years ago.
Jan 23, 2015 9:51 AM

Jul 2007
Insertanamehere said:

Two or three times per year. Four times in 2014 because ufofsn hype.
Jan 23, 2015 10:00 AM

Aug 2014
Hassan>all

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 23, 2015 10:47 AM

Jan 2014
black1blade said:
Hassan>all

Shit taste.

He can't even be compared to Sasaki.
Jan 23, 2015 10:48 AM

Aug 2014
chickenonthepan said:
black1blade said:
Hassan>all

Shit taste.

He's actually not that bad though
Jan 23, 2015 11:02 AM

Nov 2013
CookingPriest said:
Insertanamehere said:

Based Counter Guardian.
Jan 23, 2015 11:19 AM

Aug 2014
Insertanamehere said:
chickenonthepan said:

Shit taste.

He's actually not that bad though

Hassan comes out of sasaki's chest so yeah.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 23, 2015 11:55 AM

Jul 2007
StrayBotato said:
CookingPriest said:

Based Counter Guardian.

You Don't?

I'd do it more but I have to leave room for Tsukihime and Fate.Extra o.O
Jan 23, 2015 11:59 AM

Aug 2014
CookingPriest said:
Insertanamehere said:

wat
Jan 23, 2015 12:00 PM

Jul 2007
Is it really that strange?...
Jan 23, 2015 12:04 PM

Aug 2014
CookingPriest said:

Yes.
Unless you don't mean a actual complete start to finish playthrough and instead mean just checking random scenes and things.
Jan 23, 2015 12:07 PM

Jul 2007
Insertanamehere said:
CookingPriest said:

Yes.
Unless you don't mean a actual complete start to finish playthrough and instead mean just checking random scenes and things.

From prologue till HF true. Now will add FHA to the rotation too.
Jan 23, 2015 12:08 PM

Sep 2013
Insertanamehere said:
CookingPriest said:

Yes.

Fai's a CG, I'm actually shocked it's not more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2015 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
CookingPriest said:
Insertanamehere said:

Yes.

From prologue till HF true. Now will add FHA to the rotation too.

wtf how do you have so much time
how do you read through all the cooking
and the exposition again and again
Jan 23, 2015 12:10 PM

Jan 2014
Insertanamehere said:

He is CookingPriest
Jan 23, 2015 12:11 PM

Sep 2014
This question doesn't even make sense. F/HA was fully translated just a couple of months ago and is pretty damn long. But let's see...

Rider F/Z ----> Kinda cool as a character, but not much of a servant per se. His noble phantasm is pretty overpowered, but doesn't have much of an impact on the story, unlike the Rule Breaker or Berserker's immortality.
Rider F/SN --> Very good art, interesting style, weapons and noble phantasms, not to mention her very important connection to Sakura and therefore role in the story

Caster F/Z ----> Weird guy. I like some of the creepy stuff that he does, like killing that child that runs to Saber, but I see no good reason to make his appearance so weird. He could have been more ruthless though. Wait, who am I kidding? This ain't Kara no Shoujo and probably wouldn't have made sense historically either. His "noble phantasm" was weird as well.
Caster F/SN --> Caster looks awesome. She has some interesting skills, like flying + shooting spells, manipulating space. Her noble phantasm may not be something flashy, but it changes pretty much everything in UBW.

Berserker F/Z ----> His art looks incredibly. I'm not the biggest fan of all that aircraft stuff though. The reveal in his final battle was nice, but I thought the whole thing felt a bit anticlimatic. :(
Berserker F/SN --> This guy was born to scare everyone else in the story and he does that pretty well. It's interesting to see his connection with Illya in UBW. His noble phantasm isn't necessarily cool, but I guess it suits him well in that it turns him into a beast that never dies. Not my favorite servant at all, but he's still pretty important in the story.

Lancer F/Z ----> Not much background, but I like his art better than F/SN's lancer. He looks like a nice character, but isn't relevant in the grand scheme of things. Wounds that you cannot heal are a nice touch, but I'd expect more of an actual noble phantasm. It does allow him to affect the story without having to kill the other character or anything like that though, so that's good. I can't recall his other one. Having 2 spears is kinda nice.
Lancer F/SN --> Not much background either. I don't recall much of what he does in Fate or HF. On the other hand, his noble phantasm is pretty damn powerful, at least in theory. I like how he tries to defy Kirei here and there.

Archer F/Z ----> Also present in F/SN, so no point in comparing him to anyone else. Sick noble phantasm. Nuff said.
Archer F/SN --> Great art. Very nice skills, like projection. Although not as strong as the other servants, he's incredibly versatile, such as him projecting his swords to attack Caster even though he was pretty much paralyzed. Pretty damn power broken phantasms. Unlimited Blade Works is not only cool, but op as fuck. Obsession at its finest. Needless to say, he's one of the most important servants in the Fate franchise.

Assassin ------> I won't talk about him in detail because I don't remember much of them. In F/Z, the little twist at the beginning was nice, but aside from that the servant didn't accomplish much as far as I remember. Sasaki was not interesting either imo. At least he had to defend the temple, which was an understable role given the circumstances. I don't remember much about the true assassin in HF, but that was a really nice twist and I recall him having some nice fights as well.

All this talk really makes me want to see Dark Saber and the crazy twists that happen in HF again.
FlamepriesTJan 23, 2015 12:15 PM
Jan 23, 2015 12:14 PM

Aug 2014
chickenonthepan said:
Insertanamehere said:

He is CookingPriest

Oh. Well damn.
Jan 23, 2015 12:15 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah, by a big mark
Jan 23, 2015 12:19 PM

Sep 2013
Anybody else seeing both Praland's and CP's sig?

Edit: nvm, thought MAL got fixed for a moment *sigh*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2015 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
Mickdrew said:
Anybody else seeing both Praland's and CP's sig?

Yeah.
Doesn't mean img is actually working, though.
Jan 23, 2015 12:27 PM
Sep 2012
As for servants I'd have to say:

F/sn Saber < F/Z Saber: May as well be different characters given what we've seen, I always hated how hard Nasu tried to feminize her which only had an adverse effect on her characterization so I have to give it to her characterization in Zero where she was a no nonsense figure.

F/sn Archer > F/Z Archer: The Red Man is integral to the theme of the Fate series and in my opinion is a far more interesting and well used character than Gil.

F/sn Lancer > F/Z Lancer: While Diarmuid is a better implemented in the story I have to give it to Cu for just being the more enjoyable character. Diarmuid while I appreciated how he was used was just so boring that I couldn't possibly put him above Cu.

F/sn Rider < F/Z Rider: Alexander has something to contribute to the story and is well characterized, things that F/sn Rider doesn't have.

F/sn Caster < F/Z Caster: Nearly a tie but I have to give it to Gilles because while both are obvious plot devices I enjoyed the grandiosity of his character a bit more than Medea. Gilles also bringing something new to the table for Fate/Zero's narrative while Medea merely reinforces pre-existing themes. I also loved the whole "love happens regardless" draw of his character since it reminded me a lot of Saya no Uta, which I adore. The guy along with the Red Man is my favorite servant in the franchise.

F/sn Berserker > F/Z Berserker: They both function in very similar ways within the story by developing the whole relationship angle between masters and servants. Though they do it in opposite ways with Herakles and Illya's relationship being two most close-knit partners who care deeply for one another while Kariya and Lancelot show two figures who are completely disconnected and yet both show how tied the relationships of the grail's teams are. Herakles gets my vote for having a more heartwarming role in the story and just being cool as hell, especially in what's to come in UBW.

F/sn Assassin > F/Z Assassin: Not even a contest as F/Z's Assassin is completely misused, lacks personality, and has no real function in the story, so a damn bad character.
ahncgj21Jan 23, 2015 12:41 PM
Jan 23, 2015 12:31 PM

Sep 2013
June93 said:

F/sn Saber < F/Z Saber: May as well be different characters given what we've seen, I always hated how hard Nasu tried to feminize her which only had an adverse effect on her characterization so I have to give it to her characterization in Zero where she was a no nonsense figure.

If you substitute the references to "being more girly" with "being more human", it makes her character development much better. Since F/Z lacks this dimension in any way, I'd say FSN Saber is much better.
Jan 23, 2015 12:35 PM
Sep 2012
Mickdrew said:
June93 said:

If you substitute the references to "being more girly" with "being more human", it makes her character development much better. Since F/Z lacks this dimension in any way, I'd say FSN Saber is much better.
She's very human and has weaknesses in F/Z as well. There's also the matter of the execution for her girly/human side being abysmal in stay night, often times when reading the routes it felt as if Saber was comprised of two contrasting figures constantly fighting for supremacy.
Jan 23, 2015 12:39 PM

Sep 2013
June93 said:
Mickdrew said:

She's very human and has weaknesses in F/Z as well. There's also the matter of the execution for her girly/human side being abysmal in stay night, often times when reading the routes it felt as if Saber was comprised of two contrasting figures constantly fighting for supremacy.

Her ideals may have flaws in F/Z, but it's never related to weaknesses in her as a person (except for one reference from Rider).

She is two characters in FSN - that was kind of the point. You have the noble and hardened king, and you have the girl Arturia who she once was.
Jan 23, 2015 12:43 PM
Sep 2012
Mickdrew said:
June93 said:

Her ideals may have flaws in F/Z, but it's never related to weaknesses in her as a person (except for one reference from Rider).

She is two characters in FSN - that was kind of the point. You have the noble and hardened king, and you have the girl Arturia who she once was.
She couldn't understand the people and therefore she failed, I'd say that's a weakness. Her chivalrous, hardheaded nature also led to her unfortunate end in the climax of the story.

As for the contrast while that was the case the execution once again was completely off. If Nasu hadn't made Saber a girl and wanted to try at this angle I'm sure he would have done it in a more eloquent way. What we got however was essentially turning what was the stoic, machine like King of England into a docile waifu with the snap of a finger. There are many ways to humanize characters without resorting to moefying them. That's Fate, in UBW her character is pretty much relegated to those SoL scenes doing nothing but eating or being cute (often these two are concurrent) along with being a tool for the fights, so she's pretty much at her worst as she becomes nothing more than "another anime girl in armor". I liked her quite a bit in HF though, probably because a lot of her more introspective scenes were prompted without the need of romantic tension.
ahncgj21Jan 23, 2015 1:00 PM
Jan 23, 2015 12:49 PM

Sep 2013
June93 said:
Mickdrew said:

She couldn't understand the people and therefore she failed, I'd say that's a weakness. Her chivalrous, hardheaded nature also led to her unfortunate end in the climax of the story.

Okay I see your point; it is tied to her as a person - but that's not her entire character. Her "chivalrous, hardheaded nature" was really just a mask she put on when she became king. This wasn't explored at all in F/Z, we're just supposed to assume she's a stoic king who screwed up.
Jan 23, 2015 1:12 PM

Nov 2013
CookingPriest said:
StrayBotato said:
Based Counter Guardian.

You Don't?

I'd do it more but I have to leave room for Tsukihime and Fate.Extra o.O
Uhhh I am a newbie so I only read it twice.

Also I hate reading.
Jan 23, 2015 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Mickdrew said:
June93 said:

THis.

Zero Saber is nothing more than a silly one note plot device for CHIVALRY!
Jan 23, 2015 1:36 PM

Sep 2013
June93 said:

As for the contrast while that was the case the execution once again was completely off. If Nasu hadn't made Saber a girl and wanted to try at this angle I'm sure he would have done it in a more eloquent way. What we got however was essentially turning what was the stoic, machine like King of England into a docile waifu with the snap of a finger. There are many ways to humanize characters without resorting to moefying them. That's Fate, in UBW her character is pretty much relegated to those SoL scenes doing nothing but eating or being cute (often these two are concurrent) along with being a tool for the fights, so she's pretty much at her worst as she becomes nothing more than "another anime girl in armor". I liked her quite a bit in HF though, probably because a lot of her more introspective scenes were prompted without the need of romantic tension.

Fate is a little clumsily written, and the character dynamics (including the romance) could definitely use some tweaking.

You got to remember, though, that Arturia hasn't expressed her emotions since she was 15. It's all very good to point out that "she's moe waifu material", but given that she gave up being a human for so long, how exactly do you expect her to act when she falls in love?
Jan 23, 2015 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
Imo, if Nasu didn't made Saber into girl, contrast between "King" and "human" wouldn't be as expressed (or "as visible", my expressing in english sucks sometimes).

Not to mention, Merlin wouldn't have any fun.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Jan 23, 2015 2:10 PM
Sep 2012
Mickdrew said:
how exactly do you expect her to act when she falls in love?
I'd rather she not fall in love at all, what matters is that she doesn't regret her decisions. The "become more human" component of her character arc in the Fate route is used as a means for her romance with Shirou, which is pretty badly handled. As the man above has said, I doubt Nasu would have expressed Arthur's character like this had he not have been made a girl, which says quite a bit about Nasu himself.
Jan 23, 2015 2:13 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah, how dare Saber be humanized and vulnerable. She should appease the "strong robot " stereotype that characters like Lightning belong to and not get any development that showcases that she is vulnerable and NOT some emotionless Rei Machine.
Jan 23, 2015 2:18 PM
Sep 2012
CookingPriest said:
Yeah, how dare Saber be humanized and vulnerable. She should appease the "strong robot " stereotype that characters like Lightning belong to and not get any development that showcases that she is vulnerable and NOT some emotionless Rei Machine.
She would be better for this, yes. As I've said before there are other approaches that Nasu could have taken in developing her humanity without the need of a badly written romance being its vehicle.
ahncgj21Jan 23, 2015 2:24 PM
Jan 23, 2015 2:21 PM

Dec 2013
FSN Lancer > FSN Archer > FZ Archer/Gil > FSN Saber > FZ Caster > FSN Rider > FZ Rider > FSN Assassin > FSN caster > True Assassin > FSN Gil > FSN Berserker > FZ Berserker > FZ Saber > FZ Lancer > FZ Assassin

I haven't read Hollow Ataraxia yet
Pu55yDestr0yerJan 23, 2015 2:25 PM
BAN ME
Jan 23, 2015 2:24 PM

Sep 2013
June93 said:
Mickdrew said:
I'd rather she not fall in love at all, what matters is that she doesn't regret her decisions. The "become more human" component of her character arc in the Fate route is used as a means for her romance with Shirou, which is pretty badly handled. As the man above has said, I doubt Nasu would have expressed Arthur's character like this had he not have been made a girl, which says quite a bit about Nasu himself.

Badly handled or not, this change makes complete sense. She was nothing more than a tool used by her kingdom for 10 years - never thinking of herself, never being valued as a person. Only as weapon to fight on their behalf (this extends to how Kiritsugu treated her). Suddenly Shirou appears, who does see her as a person who should be valued; and even goes so far as to risk his own life to keep her from dying. This isn't focused on enough in the story, but this idea of her finding value in herself completely works, even if it's too implicit.

Maybe Nasu wouldn't have expressed this if she was a man - and Arthur would have been a worse character as a result.
Jan 23, 2015 2:40 PM

Jan 2014
Mira, Mike needs your help.

If you are reading this, please come to his aid immediately.

Don't let him drown into his waifu and die.
Jan 23, 2015 2:49 PM

Sep 2013
heh nah I'll be fine.

She's not my waifu anyways.
Jan 23, 2015 2:50 PM

Jul 2007
Not to mention that falling in love with Shirou is feasible because she first and foremost saw herself in him and the way he blindly pursues his ideal. It is feasible that someone's walls would crumble from that. Its no like it was the "omg i wanna bake cakes and be a housewife with him" kind of love. That never happened.

It always felt a lot more platonic to me, in the way they slowly grew to respect each other's lives and learned to not regret their own from that experience. They are someone who walked similar paths and then found strength in that. "Shirou in love with Saber" or "saber in love with shirou" is nohing different from "Shirou inlove with ideal" or "Saber in love with ideal".

And no matter the "waif stuff" that someone might misidentify Saber's behavior as(it is not that. It becomes VERY sad when you learn her backstory), Saber DOES in the end very firmly state that that changes nothing and reaffirms her path as the King as the right one.

Just because she got to experience being "just a girl" does not mean that the VN treats her life as "wrong". Opposite. Both SHirou and the reader learn to admire Saber's dedication to her path and Saber reaffirms the path she walked.

She just also gets to be a normal girl for a while, but it does NOT change who
is as a King.
Jan 23, 2015 2:54 PM

Jan 2014
Mickdrew said:
heh nah I'll be fine.

I just realize that Kurisu-chan is not on your favorite list.

DIE, HERETIC.
Jan 23, 2015 2:57 PM

Sep 2013
CookingPriest said:

*applauds*
chickenonthepan said:
Mickdrew said:
heh nah I'll be fine.

I just realize that Kurisu-chan is not on your favorite list.

DIE, HERETIC.

I.....um......well.......uhhh.....

She's a great character, just doesn't crack my top 10 :(

She's close tho, so put your pitchforks away, pls
Jan 23, 2015 3:00 PM

Jan 2014
Mickdrew said:

Close tho, so put your pitchforks away, pls

No excuse, just die.

I will give you a merciful death.
Jan 23, 2015 3:02 PM

Aug 2009
In FHA,in the night scene "monster" with Rider;Does anyone have the image that flashes for a moment?
ssjokgJan 23, 2015 3:11 PM
Jan 23, 2015 3:06 PM

Sep 2013
chickenonthepan said:
Mickdrew said:

Close tho, so put your pitchforks away, pls

No excuse, just die.

I will give you a merciful death.

:'(

*bows head*
Jan 23, 2015 3:11 PM

Apr 2014
Saber best treasure.
Jan 23, 2015 4:11 PM

Sep 2014
June93 said:
Mickdrew said:

Well, no. That wasn't the reason why Nasu turned Arthur into a girl. He could've expressed Arthur's character even as a man. Her character does need somekind of love to be expressed properly.

"Doesn't regret her decision" is literally not the point of her arc. There's a girl who's forsaken herself for strangers, and is on the brink of tradiing her soul.. Which is more important? Finding herself, or to stop regretting what happened to other people for what she did; even tho it was going to happen anyway.

Even if she stopped regretting, so what? She's still gonna be a fucking lost person.

Edit: Well done Mick-kun. Senpai is here.

Seiba isn't my #1 waifu tho. Lala has lotz of waifus and husbandos!
The sun is a deadly laser
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

2752 by Hawks10 »»
Jun 16, 6:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1042 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

856 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

903 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

1630 by SanessyAdversary »»
Jan 19, 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.