Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2015 2:10 AM

Dec 2014
Nice first episode. Though its ambiance felt more like a last episode than an opener for a new season. The art and animation was good, hope they keep it up along with a good story.
They made the right choice of making an alternate story since they werent able to make a good adaptation of the manga.
Jan 9, 2015 2:16 AM

May 2011
After thinking about it for a while, it's not a bad thing to have another story. I mean it'd be boring to watch something you know what'll happen next. You won't get surprised.
Jan 9, 2015 2:26 AM
May 2013
What the actual hell happened?
The entire episode gave off the sensation that the studio is suffering from internal confict or something and thus not giving a single sh*t about the anime, while making it.

The fight scenes felt extremely rusty, with no spark to be found whatsoever, the faces at long distances felt horribly drawn, that Touka face at the very end from a distance just felt like they quicky drew it to get it done with.

I will commend, that the atmosphere of the episode was done exceptionaly right, it gave a right kind of "this is just an utter disaster were in" sort of vibe. Melancholy done right.

I do have to really wonder though, what will become of this anime now, given that it just went into an alternate universe. The entire episode ended differently than in the manga, so it's clear they are going away from the main plot entirely. This IS JUSTIFIED, given that the next 100 chapters or something in the manga were NOT anime material, but rather a psychological/philosophical read.

Currently, if the production value stays at where it was episode 1, I can't see this season as anything more than a 6/10, it's as if they are trieing it pull off an Ergo Proxy, when it vastly differs from what the 1st season brought on the table.
Jan 9, 2015 2:26 AM
Apr 2014
Srsly why the fuck cant they just follow the manga?! Like why?!
Jan 9, 2015 2:29 AM

Jul 2012
Kaneki is now a 100% stoic bad ass. I am so happy this anime is back.

Great episode!!!
Jan 9, 2015 2:29 AM
Nov 2014
The op wasn't as good as unravel but overall It's a good episode. Poor touka though.
Jan 9, 2015 3:11 AM

Sep 2010
Really excited to know this isn't following the manga. The manga is good in it's own right, but now we get something completely new. Heck yes to original anime content.

Also, the art seems a bit nicer this season.. or maybe it's just me.
Jan 9, 2015 3:12 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Kaneki has become an epic badass.
Jan 9, 2015 3:25 AM

Jan 2013
I liked the opening though. I mean okay it was kind of boring and I was almost sleeping when I watched it, but it was kinda whoa.

The episode itself, made me very excited and I almost cried because Tsukiyama is an idiot. But I like Kaneki Ken-kun much more in badass-mode. But I still expected more from this episode. It feels like much didn't even happen. "Here we are. We are still here. Okay now some of us are leaving. But we're still here." Yeah idk I might've been too tired while watching this.

Truthfully, if this is story anime original season, I'm almost relieved. For I didn't like how the manga ended. I didn't hate it, but it left me in confusion. So as long this doesn't have some stupidass plot then I'm okay with it.
Jan 9, 2015 3:28 AM

Apr 2014
Fcking hope they will change the opening. I hate it!! And wow :D this one doesn't follow the manga....i love it!! I actually kinda hate the manga's plot so this is such a good treat for me!
Jan 9, 2015 3:33 AM

Oct 2013
I loved every minute of it.

That ost at the end :0
Jan 9, 2015 3:36 AM

Jun 2011
aifukola said:
I liked the opening though. I mean okay it was kind of boring and I was almost sleeping when I watched it, but it was kinda whoa.

The episode itself, made me very excited and I almost cried because Tsukiyama is an idiot. But I like Kaneki Ken-kun much more in badass-mode. But I still expected more from this episode. It feels like much didn't even happen. "Here we are. We are still here. Okay now some of us are leaving. But we're still here." Yeah idk I might've been too tired while watching this.

Truthfully, if this is story anime original season, I'm almost relieved. For I didn't like how the manga ended. I didn't hate it, but it left me in confusion. So as long this doesn't have some stupidass plot then I'm okay with it.

The manga didn't rly end though
Jan 9, 2015 4:22 AM

Nov 2014
Satan-sama said:
I'll skip the OP and just listen to "Unravel".
Hahaha, cant blame you, I loved the episode, but I considered skipping the OP, something I never do on first episodes.
Jan 9, 2015 4:32 AM

May 2012
no rize? :'(
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Jan 9, 2015 4:34 AM

Oct 2014
"Shut up and listen, I'm talking."

This Kaneki > Wimp Kaneki
Jan 9, 2015 4:54 AM

Dec 2014
Meh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 5:40 AM

Feb 2011
Pshh, I'm kinda irritated by the fact that it didn't follow the Manga's route.
So shocked when Kaneki said he is joining Aogiri. Dammit.

But okay, gonna watch it anyway. :/

Didn't like the Op though..

DCLOYALLabyForum set by

Jan 9, 2015 5:43 AM

Dec 2013
PriestSlayer said:
robis798 said:

Lols, nothing happened in that episode, like literally nothing. Calm yourself.
Fight happened.

Shit happened. It was really underwhelming.
Jan 9, 2015 5:44 AM

Jan 2015
You guys are having such a nice time discussing

Meanwhile, my torrent is slow as shit in downloading this episode.
Anime is the prime example of why 2 nukes weren't enough.
Jan 9, 2015 6:07 AM

Aug 2013
MrsKiryuin said:
If reading manga makes you this annoying and whiny every time its anime adaptation strays from the source material, I'm so fucking glad that I don't read it.

Agreed.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Jan 9, 2015 6:24 AM

Oct 2014
So, Kaneki is going over to the other side, does it make him one of the bad guys or good guys?
Jan 9, 2015 6:49 AM

Jan 2014
this seems to be different from the manga... I guess they did this cause the production didn't want to make another season or sequel... that will turn out into the manga's sequel Tokyo Ghoul:Re.. where...
I guess the production didn't want that story plot... so they took another "root" and it's joining Aogiri... that's why it's called "√A"... I didn't get it at first though why is it titled like this...
well even though it's like that... the animation was more awesome that before...
hope to see some good action next episode... since it's not predictable anymore and it can't be spoiled... xD
DeadZeroSourceJan 9, 2015 6:58 AM
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Jan 9, 2015 6:55 AM

Sep 2014
I still don't understand why the mangareader's complain about this season, because it doesn't follow the manga. I find they should be happy instead, because so they have on one side their manga story and on the other side the anime story, while those who only watch the anime, only have the anime story. Whether the manga reader's like the anime story or not, they still have "their" manga story and I think if they aren't happy, they should only focalize on their manga and not complain that the anime doesn't follow the manga, like if it wasn't already said.
Jan 9, 2015 7:01 AM
Nov 2014
I'm just SO HAPPY that Hide got screentime. I can't wait for the two to meet each other again (if they do).

The animation is the best I've seen in a TV series.

Who was that ghoul who didn't fight back against the CCG and seemingly saved the lives of two investigators? Why didn't he kill them? (Hehe I love it when no-one knows what's gonna happen)
Jan 9, 2015 7:08 AM

Jul 2013
That was...wow that was something. I was really not expecting it to be so good.

The best thing is the no censoring but the ED and OST were really really good too. I'm actually really excited to see this alternate route now.

The art was just gorgeous especially during that last conversation he had with Touka. Though I did find it kinda random how he just his battle suit outta nowhere but NEVER SAY NO TO BADASS KANEKI

AND SO MUCH HIDE
Jan 9, 2015 7:08 AM
Mar 2014
Well That's......What You Call An Episode
Jan 9, 2015 7:15 AM

Jul 2013
Stark700 said:

Wow, that was quite something.

Yeah, it was shit.

The shaky cam during the destruction was over-the-top hilarious. I could really tell that the composition team had a good time obfuscating the lack of in-between frames. Like guys we don't have enough time finishing the in-betweens just shake the cam wildly the viewers won't notice.

Pierrot pls.
Jan 9, 2015 7:15 AM

Apr 2013
Wow it was a great episode. Good use of symbolism, great animation and fight choreography. Great ED song and superb insert songs.

Tbh, they should have ended season 1 with this episode, would have ended way better.
Jan 9, 2015 7:31 AM
Oct 2007
This season OP was nowhere close to Unravel. This episode should have been perfect for season 1 final episode.. 4/5 for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 7:35 AM

Nov 2014
OP was crap compared to unravel but like everyone else have said already the OST was great.
And why does Kaneki go with Aogiri?I don't see why he would go with them but I guess Eto told him something important on the bridge?Idk
Jan 9, 2015 7:42 AM

Dec 2014
People do realize this alternate route is being written by the same writer of the manga, right? Sui Ishida is basically putting the adapters on leashes, which hopefully means better pacing.

Hide seems to be playing a larger role this season so it will be interesting to see what aspires from him.

In my opinion the OP felt like an ED, but I'll let it slide because unravel was so great.

I was also glad to see very little censoring if not any at all. (Wonder why that is?)

Overall, this season seems to be taking a much darker path than the first season; you can tell by the color-pallet change and the amount of symbolism being used in the backgrounds. I'm impressed so far and I look forward to the next episode.
KomodoStarJan 9, 2015 7:53 AM
Jan 9, 2015 7:49 AM

Nov 2014
That is an amazing first post congratz
Jan 9, 2015 7:54 AM

Sep 2014
I give it 10/10. I didn't find anything that I don't like. I even loved the opening.
Jan 9, 2015 8:03 AM

Aug 2012
looking forward what will happen next .kinda disappointed at the same time excited on what will happen to the new story of TokyoGhoul (didn't expect kaneki will go over aogiri's side)

anyway that OST before Ending is really great :)
Jan 9, 2015 8:13 AM

Jul 2014
Opening tried to catch Kaneki's personality evolution with the touches like in first op, Unravel, ended up making some random shit.
Anyways, that different route from manga looks good as well, they didn't used much OST but still got the same chills.
Btw, I don't remember something about an earthquake in the manga, can someone enlighten me?
Jan 9, 2015 8:22 AM
Jul 2010
Holy shit... Now I know what people that read manga felt when they watched first season... How can you possibly do something so bad with such an amazing manga?
Kaneki's fight vs Ayato was rushed and not in place at all, we didn't get epic "half-kill 106 bones" line, OP is really underwhelming, especially compared to a masterpiece like Unravel.
I'm going to watch this series with a huge pain, most probably, shame...
Jan 9, 2015 8:27 AM

Jun 2013
We need more TK. For me the episode is a bit of a disappointment, having read the manga, i know that this season 2 will be different from the manga, but stilr this first episode feels too rushed and i think the fight animation and the sound is worse than the first.
The kagune for example, in the first season it's more fluid and the action scene is more well made (like different angles, close-up fighting, or something like that) while this fight is like we are watching a wrestling match from the sideline
For the sound, well aside from many of the talking make little sense for those who doesn't read the manga, this episode lacks BGM
Jan 9, 2015 8:28 AM

Jun 2008
Lol what a terrible OP.

Very good first episode.
I expected Kaneki to leave but i didn't expected that he would join the other group!
And i really wanna know where Hide stands in all of this!
Jan 9, 2015 9:02 AM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
Very interesting episode that throws us viewers right into the actio with a new chapter. I don't mind it not following the Manga, that way we can have one more view on the world that Tokyo Ghoul creates.
I wonder what the focus is going to be...
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Jan 9, 2015 9:18 AM

Aug 2014
Well shit. And I was looking forward to Ayato's half-killing.. I only Read the manga, but ain't most of the scenes different? Well, Kaneki in Aogiri can be an interesting ride too 0.0
I love Minimalist Arts. Such Simplicity, yet hold so much Meanings to me.
Jan 9, 2015 10:10 AM
Jan 2014
the anime was awesome as usual..i kinda felt surprised about the ending though..rly a good and unexpected plot twist...but about the opening i have nothing to say...from summer 2013 i make videos with my Top anime openings..this one...hmmm..i ll think a lot if i even put it in the list but if it does it suits it the last place...just a GARBAGE...a usually start animes cause of their good opening but ive never experienced good anime with horrible opening(i heard bad ops but not that much)..its like they were bored to make one..i mean wtf..1:30 mins we watch two hands wearing him the mask,then remove it,then blood drops from the eye...and flowers in background....poor work..i just hope they ll do smthing like persona 4 golden animation that have 1 op for the 1st episode and another op for the whole series...i think i can give a 6/10 to tokyo ghoul 1st episode(-4 cause of op and ed)
Jan 9, 2015 10:22 AM

Jan 2014
Nothing less from my expactation ..
Great first episode, IMO ..
Jan 9, 2015 10:28 AM
Jul 2014
now why all the hate for the OP? i personally likeit more than ED
Jan 9, 2015 10:44 AM

Aug 2012
The new OP is not bad, it's just that would be thousands much better if it was used as ED instead :/
Honestly, I like new OP, but it's just too plain to be an opening song.
あの海を遠く遠く見渡す その向こうに新しい世界が見えた 幻想のように

Jan 9, 2015 10:49 AM

Aug 2012
Silent7 said:
Opening tried to catch Kaneki's personality evolution with the touches like in first op, Unravel, ended up making some random shit.
Anyways, that different route from manga looks good as well, they didn't used much OST but still got the same chills.
Btw, I don't remember something about an earthquake in the manga, can someone enlighten me?

It's not an earthquake. It's kinda like set-up bomb trap. Most likely the clowns the ones who set it up.
あの海を遠く遠く見渡す その向こうに新しい世界が見えた 幻想のように

Jan 9, 2015 10:50 AM

Jan 2015
How the hell did Kaneki's hair turn white and his feet have black nail polish?
AndThatsThatJan 9, 2015 10:55 AM
Jan 9, 2015 10:53 AM

Feb 2013
AndThatsThat said:
How the hell did Touka's hair turn white and his feet have black nail polish?

wat
Jan 9, 2015 10:55 AM

Dec 2013
AndThatsThat said:
I suppose you're referring to Kaneki? His hair turn white because of extreme stress, same goes for the nails.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 9, 2015 10:57 AM

Jan 2015
PriestSlayer said:
AndThatsThat said:
I suppose you're referring to Kaneki? His hair turn white because of extreme stress, same goes for the nails.

Are you sure? At first I thought it was because of Jason's torture but that logic souned kinda absurd

Oh, and ... I almost thought he was gonna confess to Touka or something lol when he came back to her
Jan 9, 2015 10:58 AM
Sep 2014
I skipped out the 1st season of Tokyo Ghoul because I was reading the manga and of the talks about 1st season's bad censorship. Was that a good idea?

I really didn't care much about the OP and ED songs. Though I agree that the bgm at the end good. In English too.

I find the animation cool and fluid. I felt the episode a bit rushed though, probably because I expected more of the fight scenes. And the kagunes look like crystal candies!
Pages (17) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » overhated?

FruitPunchBaka - 4 hours ago

11 by tanjim_ahsan16 »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by lunathecatxx »»
May 11, 5:47 AM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

38 by lunathecatxx »»
May 11, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.