Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 31, 2020 9:47 PM
Sep 2020
Is no one talking about this in the context of the pandemic and the coronavirus?? Like, this aged so fucking well. How they isolated themselves from each other, even the way they couldn't stand to be around each other mirrors how being cooped up with the same people for six months can be frustrating.

The main message of this episode was that "Everyone needs other people". Even though the man is doing fine by himself with the assistance of robots, he's really lonely, and misses his fiance or wife or whatever. When he realizes that Kino can't read his mind, he jumps at the opportunity to invite them in. He's desperate for human interaction. When he asks Kino to live with him, he just wanted someone to talk to.

That hit me so hard it launched me into the sun. I haven't talked to my friends in like two months, and the last time I talked to someone other than my family was like a month ago. I'm fucking lonely. If it weren't for the fact that I had my family to talk to, I think I would have died of loneliness. I'm glad that my family is here to support me in these rough times.
Nov 7, 2020 2:40 PM

Jun 2010
It spent most of the episode slowly building a mystery and the blurted out all the answers in a monologue. Not unpleasant but I hope the series is uphill from here.
Dec 23, 2020 8:05 AM

Jul 2008
Fronzel said:
It spent most of the episode slowly building a mystery and the blurted out all the answers in a monologue. Not unpleasant but I hope the series is uphill from here.

Yeah I thought that was frowned upon in storytelling, yet here most seem to enjoy it.
Jan 2, 2021 7:00 AM

May 2016
Kinda creepy with that music and scary country to live in, I thought this anime would
more brightful setting, has that kinda dark setting like Mushishi but not like it.

Jan 2, 2021 11:16 AM

Jan 2017
Ero-Camel said:
Fronzel said:

...I thought that was frowned upon in storytelling...

By literature critics and scholars.
Contemporary0091Jan 6, 2021 12:13 PM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 17, 2021 1:33 AM

Nov 2017
The world is not beautiful, and that in a way lends it a sort of beauty. Interesting words, also the connection to Facebook and other social media in the message and metaphor of the episode. What was meant to connect us together, as the internet was, has driven us far apart. Who knows if it's because we understand each other's pain, and it drives us insane. Rather it is knowing others' thoughts on such a magnitude, their absolute truth, which we cannot stand.

It's one of those anime series that perfectly symbolizes what the internet would become and its infinitesimal problems twenty years later.

It's so sad to think of those who cannot abide the doubt of others. I guess we all live in that world now, it is a magnification of psychology in a way. The internet is a magnifying glass on emotions, and those emotions are naturally out of control.

But hopefully none of us go insane from this. The internet can drive some to despair but I hope that people realize that it is simply one avenue for communication. It is not the end all be all, it is not politics, the law or love. It is not the state. It is literally just a hunk of plastic.
Jan 28, 2021 12:57 AM
Mar 2010
I was a bit bored at the beginning but it quickly got more interesting. I really hope the couple will find each other again.
Feb 4, 2021 7:22 PM
Feb 2020
I see why people like kinos journey. This was a great episode, and I liked the idea of the shared thoughts serum. But of course the idea failed and drove a country apart, cause everyone could know peoples pain, love, and emotions. And through that people are afraid, they’ve drifted apart, and a country once vibrant has turned to the Land of Visible Pain.
May 22, 2021 7:07 AM

Aug 2018
Very interesting and unique feeling giving first episode. This show really is something that feels like it stands out from the rest of anime in it's own interesting ways. Kinda gives off certain Mushishi vibes

Also didn't knew that Serial Expieriments Lain director also directed this, that makes this even better and I even more look forward to the rest of the show than before
Feb 3, 2022 1:56 AM

Dec 2018
fantastic premise and opening episode
Mar 8, 2022 11:40 AM
Dec 2017
Pretty interseting first episode i say

Apr 14, 2022 10:16 PM

Feb 2021
Cool, but are there supposed to be small lines in the screen? I feel like I'm the only one who noticed
Apr 22, 2022 11:40 AM

Jan 2009
mochahocha said:
Is no one talking about this in the context of the pandemic and the coronavirus?? Like, this aged so fucking well. How they isolated themselves from each other, even the way they couldn't stand to be around each other mirrors how being cooped up with the same people for six months can be frustrating.
The difference is that the isolation is more political with the situation in the actual world and more emotional with the situation in the fictive world of Kino no Tabi.
From what I have seen, the people in that country saw the darkness inside the other people and have been scarred and scared from it that they have been isolating from each other
Though I've found it rather exaggerated. Even if someone doesn't really enjoy the interests of someone, they can still enjoy being with each other and doing each other's favorite activities on their own or in the presence of the other person. This looks more like some false love where they never actually fell for the person, but for an idea(l) of someone. Hence the extreme feelings of rejection when they had learnt that the other person didn't really care about their interests, since it's what they had expected

Crack said:
Cool, but are there supposed to be small lines in the screen? I feel like I'm the only one who noticed
Must be just some sepia-like effect to enhance the feelings of nostalgia

DarkInsomnia57 said:
The world is not beautiful, and that in a way lends it a sort of beauty. Interesting words, also the connection to Facebook and other social media in the message and metaphor of the episode. What was meant to connect us together, as the internet was, has driven us far apart.
Yes, it's pretty much talking about the beauty of imperfections, because beauty is usually associated with symmetry and regularity.
Interesting interpretation, but far from applicable for everyone. In fact, there are quite lots where the connection actually turned out positively. But only really when it turns into an alternative or rather: supplement and not a full replacement for direct interaction
Apr 27, 2022 12:42 AM

Sep 2018
Why are the visuals so ugly and jarring? This was only made back in 03, why does it look so bad?

The reading thoughts situation seemed doomed from the beginning, what a bunch of arrogant and stupid clowns tbh...
Aug 4, 2022 9:56 AM
Sep 2013
Interesting anime, it has a Mushi vibe.
The anime tries to convey a dramatic tone and convey thoughts about the world mixing it with some fanciful elements.
At the time there was no comparison but it's like Black Mirror only without the morbidity, without the dark side.

PT-BR

Interessante o anime, ele passa uma vibe de Mushi.
O anime tenta passar um tom dramático e passar pensamentos sobre o mundo misturando com alguns elementos fantasiosos.
Na época não existia a comparação mas é como se fosse Black Mirror só que sem a morbidade,sem o lado dark.
Nov 6, 2022 10:09 AM

Nov 2021
disappointed, i don't have problem with visuals but its just the scientists who develop that tonic are so dumb that they don't understand the basic things about human communication. The drama looks forced to me, but its just the first episode, lets see where it goes from now on.
Dec 3, 2022 2:16 PM
Mar 2014
I particularly liked when Kino said
"I can stop whenever I want."

Whilst it may seem minor, it's a brave choice considering most MC's are spurned into action. To see someone do something out of a pro-active will is refreshing
Feb 17, 2023 6:42 PM
Feb 2023
not at all how i expected it to be, this is way better than i expected, i love heverithing about the anime and the style so far but i only have one question that will probablie get awnsered later or not, why is the bike talking ? XD
Mar 6, 2023 12:43 PM

Aug 2017
The mob chants during the scene with drinking almost looked like a certain German party...or is it just my impression? In any case, I wish they had an "antidote"
Jul 4, 2023 1:50 AM

Dec 2022
What a serene town. Not many crimes and infringements occuring when it's populated by automata. The mind reading dilemma is certainly an issue for most of the human population, but I can't see it affecting those who were already reclusive before drinking the tonic.

Shaded Horizon

Jul 4, 2023 3:56 PM
Aug 2022
How is that iyashikei, creepy af, I am tense daammit. But I like it.
Jan 7, 6:39 AM

Nov 2023
A society of Misanthropes..
Apr 29, 4:39 PM

Oct 2023
Just now learning this was directed by the same guy behind Serial Experiments Lain, and while I've only seen a couple episodes of that series, it certainly shows. The aesthetic this show is going for is far more up my alley than that one's was, so I'm actively looking forward to whatever comes next.

Would it be worth watching the remake after seeing this to the end?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

153 by Extremo888 »»
May 8, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

99 by mySaudate »»
May 5, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 15, 2008

84 by mySaudate »»
May 4, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

128 by Drakath_V »»
May 4, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kotori - Apr 15, 2008

179 by mySaudate »»
Apr 30, 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.