New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
May 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2009
eta101 said:
Kaimon said:
eta101 said:

Okay. So, what should I watch from the Enlightening list?

Just scroll through a try to find something that's to your liking? Are you looking for anything specific?

I want something amazing and not a classic that was good for its time like Cowboy Bebop. I watched Cowboy Bebop until episode 17 and couldn't continue because it didn't hook me into it. For reference here is my current top five.

1. Steins;Gate
2. Death Note
3. Code Geass
4. Attack on Titan
5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

The comment about Bebop hurts me as well.
I second mostly what sushi and Jody recc'd., especially Hunter x Hunter 2011, Baccano, Kaiji, Hajime no Ippo, Ghost in the Shell.
Also, Angels is right in what he said about Bebop, its merits are far greater than just being a product of its time. In fact, I'd say Titan and S;G are actually like that :D
Steel Ball Run anime when?
May 26, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2013
Having taken a look at the E-chart to refresh my memory, I guess for early entries to start with I'll recommend:
-Baccano
-Gankutsuou
-Kaiji (while I don't love S1, S2 is incredible)
-Hajime no Ippo
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012
-Kaiba
-Tatami Galaxy

and if you're feeling a little more daring (these are deceptively great series despite seeming kind of goofy):
-FLCL
-Hokuto no Ken

Then I'll give you some other personal favs once you've seen more and I can get a better grasp on your palette.
May 26, 2014 3:38 PM
May 2014
To everyone who feels "hurt" about my comment about Cowboy Bebop it's because people of my generation (I'm sixteen btw) don't feel the same way about the series as people who watched it in 1998. Also, I went into expecting something amazing seeing as how many refer it as the greatest anime of all time (almost every top anime list). I didn't have a problem with the animation, just the story didn't interest me no matter how hard I tried to like the anime. Every episode seemed repetitive and you could see the outcome coming from a mile away unlike the anime I have on my top 5 list. Again, don't feel offended as this is very common with my friends and just people ranging from 18 and down. I'll continue it to form my final opinion on it but right now I don't see why everyone thinks this is the greatest anime of all time other than the fact it is most people's first anime they ever watched. An example of this is the fact many people from my generation (including me) watched Dragon Ball Z as a child and view it as the greatest anime of all time while the older generation think it is overrated. I can see why people from the older gen think it is overrated but regardless, I still think it is the best. I think this is the same case for Cowboy Bebop. I'm not entirely sure but this is a pattern I noticed with claiming their first anime they watched is their favorite.
May 26, 2014 3:53 PM

Apr 2013
@eta101
I don't think age has much to do with liking Cowboy Bebop or not.

As for your argument about the top 5 anime, with a possible exception of FMA:B, if you've seen a lot more anime, they are far more predictable than you may think, or if they aren't predictable they adopt more common tropes and cliche's typical of the anime medium.

>claiming their first anime that they watch is their favourite
Well, if they liked the show and it is the only part of the anime medium that they are familiar with than of course it would be their favourite.

Also, about your comments on Dragon Ball Z, I will note that it is not bad, but in comparison to the original Dragon Ball, I can see why the people familiar with both would pick the original version.
May 26, 2014 4:04 PM
Nov 2009
First of all, age has nothing to with anything here. I'm 18 as well.
Second, DBZ is older than Bebop.
Third, no one is hurt. This is the internet, don't take it literal or serious. You don't have to make excuses for your opinions.
May 26, 2014 4:23 PM
May 2014
Jody32 said:
@eta101
I don't think age has much to do with liking Cowboy Bebop or not.

As for your argument about the top 5 anime, with a possible exception of FMA:B, if you've seen a lot more anime, they are far more predictable than you may think, or if they aren't predictable they adopt more common tropes and cliche's typical of the anime medium.

>claiming their first anime that they watch is their favourite
Well, if they liked the show and it is the only part of the anime medium that they are familiar with than of course it would be their favourite.

Also, about your comments on Dragon Ball Z, I will note that it is not bad, but in comparison to the original Dragon Ball, I can see why the people familiar with both would pick the original version.

1. I never said you can't like Cowboy Bebop whether your young or not. I just said, at least with the people from my generation in my area, don't feel the same way about it as older people who watched it when it first came out.

2. Also, when I was comparing predictability it was between Cowboy Bebop and my top five. Whether you found the series on my top five predictable or not is irrelevant.My point was these anime are less predictable than Cowboy Bebop

3. I meant people who have watched many anime claim their first as their favorite (this may not apply to all but I have seen this apply to many; even people with their first being Naruto)

4. Also, your comments on Dragon Ball Z are completely irrelevant because I was only using it as an example of how majority of people from my generation state Dragon Ball Z is their favorite. Not whether Dragon ball is better than Dragon Ball Z (btw I know many people who are familiar with both that prefer DBZ)
May 26, 2014 4:32 PM
May 2014
mugi said:
First of all, age has nothing to with anything here. I'm 18 as well.
Second, DBZ is older than Bebop.
Third, no one is hurt. This is the internet, don't take it literal or serious. You don't have to make excuses for your opinions.

1. 'Here' age has nothing to with anime but 'here' is the minority and the majority don't come to forums
2. DBZ may be older but it arrived in north america and became a hit in the 2000s so it is newer in that sense. Edit: As well as attracting a younger audience then Cowboy Bebop
3. Don't worry I'm not taking it seriously. I just decided to explain my opinion like many others on this site.
eta101May 26, 2014 4:37 PM
May 26, 2014 5:03 PM

Sep 2012
The first anime I was ever invested in was Digimon Tamers, but that's not my favorite anime (I will admit that it's very close, though). But I still like Cowboy Bebop more than Digimon Tamers, despite having no nostalgia for it. I take no offense when somebody doesn't like Cowboy Bebop, but I wouldn't go making assumptions as to the reasons why other people like it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it because it was the first anime they ever watched, but I'd wager the number of people who love it for different reasons isn't much lower.
May 26, 2014 5:26 PM
Nov 2009
Well anyway, I second JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Gurren Lagann (probably start with this one), Samurai Champloo, Kenshin Tsuiokuhen, maybe Mushishi if you don't mind a bit of non-action, Fate/Zero, Seirei no Moribito maybe, and Shigurui even though it's weird. Sword of the Stranger is a cool movie too, with great action scenes.
mugiMay 26, 2014 5:29 PM
May 26, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2013
@mugi: I would say he should go for Gurren Lagann after Eva due to the recon nature of TTGL and all that, and with that said, Eva may be a little too bleak and odd for someone to get into early on, so perhaps a bit later (granted, I saw it when I was 13), but that's just my two cents.

@eta: Back to Bebop, I'm 19 and I only saw Bebop back when I was like 14 and bought the DVD set having never seen it on TV (I live in Canada, our late night anime programming never had Bebop) so I don't have any nostalgia bias for it, and like yourself, I didn't love it as much as it was heralded about all over, but it's writing has strengths again, and it certainly isn't loved purely through nostalgia and, by extension, exclusive to a generation's mindset (it should go without saying that you can't generalize a wide notion to be a consensus, there were probably people who didn't like Bebop back when it was airing on AS).
May 26, 2014 7:45 PM

Jun 2012
Everyone already said everything I might've suggested except FMA 03

I don't expect you to like it as much as Brotherhood, but it does some things well, has a great atmosphere, and is considered by many to be a classic. Plus it has some things that were in the early manga but not in Brotherhood due to them rushing the first 13-ish episodes. The animation is also pretty good considering when it came out.

Soul Eater too, maybe? It's a pretty good gateway shonen with a memorable cast and entertaining arcs, the manga is even better, weak ending aside.
May 26, 2014 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
Kaimon said:

Yeah I'll second that as well, if you haven't seen 2003, do that. I'm in the 2003>B camp myself, it's quite good.
May 26, 2014 10:43 PM

Oct 2012
eta101 said:
So what anime should I watch?

With your short list, just watch anything. Also, try to expand your horizons. I see most of your list comprises of shounen titles. I have nothing against that (in fact, I had a phase of nothing but shounen) but that's a hole you'd want to get out of.

For your taste, I recommend Baccano, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Katanagatari, and FLCL.

Once you think you're ready to expand genres, try out Mononoke (horror), Serial Experiment Lain (cyber-punk/psychological), Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (black comedy), Aria the Animation (slice of life), and Honey & Clover (romance).
May 27, 2014 1:34 PM

Jun 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
Kaimon said:

Yeah I'll second that as well, if you haven't seen 2003, do that. I'm in the 2003>B camp myself, it's quite good.

I liked the idea behind the homunculi a lot and I prefer 03's atmosphere, I just like Brotherhood more in every other regard. But Shamballa is still pretty ass

Though after re-watching it (On Netflix, due to being too lazy to take Disgaea out of my PS3 to put in the DVDs) I like it more than I did a year or so ago, I didn't even mind the filler episodes in the first half. I'm kinda indifferent towards the final 1/4 but it's still a solid 8/10 for me.

Also +1 for Katanagatari. I'm liking it way more than I expected to and it'll probably be my favorite Nisio Isin work by the time I'm done with it.
May 31, 2014 8:06 PM
Oct 2013
I have joined the club to observe your powers on observation, come and enlighten me on my list!
Jun 1, 2014 9:23 AM
Jan 2013
mavrosheep said:
I have joined the club to observe your powers on observation, come and enlighten me on my list!

Dude your list is so hard for me x.x...
Okay lets TRY TO DO THIS
TTGL
I recommend you dont watch NGNL unless you just turn off ur brain and enjoy it
Dragon ball
Kaiji both seasons
One outs
And MAYBE eyeshield 21(manga)
Jun 1, 2014 9:48 AM

Sep 2013
Recommend something for me please.
I put everything that sounds remotely interesting on my PTW list so its rather long and uselss right now.

Something that comedy in it would be nice. (Not necessarily as the main thing)
Also something rather short and sweet would be nice.
Another thing I like is something with good atmospheric music. Not necessarily anime about music but Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo...you get my point.

Open to anything else also.
Jun 1, 2014 10:58 AM

Jan 2013
Strangeluv said:
I put everything that sounds remotely interesting on my PTW list so its rather long and uselss right now.

Another thing I like is something with good atmospheric music. Not necessarily anime about music but Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo...you get my point.

You don't want No Game No Life, Nagi no Asukara and Colorful for starters, but for good atmospheric music (or general "atmosphere") I guess Bartender would be up your alley as something generally soothing. Boogiepop Phantom gets overindulgent visually, but the music certainly creates a genuine sense of tension. FLCL's slightly angsty indie music by The Pillows really contributes to the theme of the show. Gankutsuou has a lot of classical music (obviously since it's based on a classic novel) which is really quite great and contributes to that rather inherent and iconic sense of tragic grandeur and woe in those works. Honey and Clover has a very fitting coming of age and somewhat melancholic soundtrack I suppose. Hajime no Ippo's soundtrack by the legendary Tsuneo Imahori will always leave you breathless - whether it is a combination of the actual boxing and the music or both elements on their own, you will be staggered. Hunter X Hunter 1999 has a very nostalgic soundtrack that feels like a real adventure with the surplus of wind instruments and soothing pieces, but when the nitty gritty content comes, the music adds a lot of gravitas and tension with heavier pieces. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 because Jojo and Taku Iwasaki; 'nuff said. Kaiba, while being a visual splendour of surrealism, has a very quirky yet sorrowful soundtrack of hollow pieces with very slow but loose notes. Beast Player Erin has a lot of high fantasy folk-y songs that fit well with the aesthetics. Kure-nai has a lot of tender piano songs of warmth and richness with a hint of bittersweet to perfectly hone the story as this gripping tale of family, tradition and life all conflicting. RahXephon's OST goes hand in hand with the captivating grandiosity of the aesthetics and all around stellar production values and story (which I find to be fairly good, but there's widespread variety of opinion there).

As for comedy, Azazel-san is absolutely hilarious and clever potty humour, The Legend of Koizumi is hilarious absurdity and bombast, Gintama takes some time to pick up, but once it does it delivers with all sorts of brands of humour and if you're daring, the first 3 episodes of Mad Bull 34 are great filthy comedy that's too ridiculous to take to heart.

So yeah, give those a shot.

kitkatxz said:
mavrosheep said:

Agreed.

"Evangelion: 10/10, Hunter X Hunter 1999: 10/10..."
Awesome!
"5 Centimeters per second: 10/10, Shin Sekai Yori: 10/10."
Hmm...

I'll say: Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, Casshern Sins, RahXephon, Samurai Champloo, Kino's Journey, Kure-nai, Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Only Yesterday, Noein, Hanbun no Tsuki, Bartender, Beast Player Erin and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 plus I'll throw in Jojo 2012 for good measure and suggest you continue on with Hunter X Hunter in the 2011 adaptation starting at Greed Island (episode 59).

Ones I'm so-so on but you may enjoy: To Terra (TV series), Giant Robo and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin.

Enjoy!
AngelsArcanumJun 1, 2014 11:04 AM
Jun 1, 2014 11:51 AM

Jun 2012
I fear I've run out of cool and stylish episodic/western anime to watch. Anything similar to Bebop/Champloo/Michiko/Baccano/Mushishi/Lupin that I still need to check out?
Jun 1, 2014 12:07 PM

Sep 2012
Kaimon said:
I fear I've run out of cool and stylish episodic/western anime to watch. Anything similar to Bebop/Champloo/Michiko/Baccano/Mushishi/Lupin that I still need to check out?

Trigun?
Jun 1, 2014 12:07 PM

Jun 2012
Litrydow said:
Kaimon said:

Trigun?

Already seen it (plus the movie) and Outlaw Star.
Jun 1, 2014 12:15 PM

Sep 2012
Kaimon said:
Litrydow said:
Kaimon said:

Trigun?

Already seen it (plus the movie) and Outlaw Star.

Uhm... Master Keaton?
Jun 1, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2012
I.....actually haven't heard of that

-searches-

Ohhh Naoki Urasawa's involved! I guess I can check it out in the future. Thanks
Jun 3, 2014 2:46 PM

Apr 2013
Please recommend me some old anime (no Gundam). Manga is fine too.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sloth_
Jun 3, 2014 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
Sloth_ said:
Please recommend me some old anime (no Gundam).

No Hokuto no Ken!? Alleviate this problem my good sir! (Just Fist of the North Star 1, not 2).
Jun 3, 2014 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
Sloth_ said:

No Hokuto no Ken!? Alleviate this problem my good sir! (Just Fist of the North Star 1, not 2).
We have a winner. This, honestly, looks exactly like something I'm keen for, thank you :)

Though, why not #2?
Jun 3, 2014 3:27 PM

Jan 2013
Sloth_ said:
AngelsArcanum said:
Sloth_ said:

We have a winner. This, honestly, looks exactly like something I'm keen for, thank you :)

Though, why not #2?

No problem at all.

Intially Buronson wanted to end the series at the Raoh arc, but due to the immense popularity, he extended the series because people were pining for more Hokuto no Ken. Unfortunately the writing quality plummets after Raoh because Buronson hadn't originally planned to go beyond that part and was just doing it for the readers, and it really shows; the arcs that come after are basically crappy rehashes of older ones with a few hackneyed elements thrown in to expand the mythos beyond what it was originally (long lost brothers, secret islands, etc). It drew out for 12 volumes past the planned 15, and by the time the last few volumes hit, Buronson just makes a final arc that is a figurative middle finger to the fans telling them he is done with the series; the last arc is painfully dumb and forced and is just an absolutely abysmal experience. So yeah, the original 15 volumes of the manga/108 episodes of the anime are fantastic, the rest is crap.
AngelsArcanumJun 3, 2014 3:42 PM
Jun 4, 2014 3:58 AM
Oct 2013
kitkatxz said:
mavrosheep said:

Okay lets TRY TO DO THIS
TTGL
I recommend you dont watch NGNL unless you just turn off ur brain and enjoy it
Dragon ball
Kaiji both seasons
One outs
And MAYBE eyeshield 21(manga)

I do enjoy lighthearted anime for the comedy if it's worth it, gintama is one that i'm watching currently that I think is also awesome. some shounen isn't bad if the animation and plot is good, Durara or Noragami are pretty good!

AngelsArcanum said:
Strangeluv said:

You don't want No Game No Life, Nagi no Asukara and Colorful for starters, but for good atmospheric music (or general "atmosphere") I guess Bartender would be up your alley as something generally soothing. Boogiepop Phantom gets overindulgent visually, but the music certainly creates a genuine sense of tension. FLCL's slightly angsty indie music by The Pillows really contributes to the theme of the show. Gankutsuou has a lot of classical music (obviously since it's based on a classic novel) which is really quite great and contributes to that rather inherent and iconic sense of tragic grandeur and woe in those works. Honey and Clover has a very fitting coming of age and somewhat melancholic soundtrack I suppose. Hajime no Ippo's soundtrack by the legendary Tsuneo Imahori will always leave you breathless - whether it is a combination of the actual boxing and the music or both elements on their own, you will be staggered. Hunter X Hunter 1999 has a very nostalgic soundtrack that feels like a real adventure with the surplus of wind instruments and soothing pieces, but when the nitty gritty content comes, the music adds a lot of gravitas and tension with heavier pieces. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 because Jojo and Taku Iwasaki; 'nuff said. Kaiba, while being a visual splendour of surrealism, has a very quirky yet sorrowful soundtrack of hollow pieces with very slow but loose notes. Beast Player Erin has a lot of high fantasy folk-y songs that fit well with the aesthetics. Kure-nai has a lot of tender piano songs of warmth and richness with a hint of bittersweet to perfectly hone the story as this gripping tale of family, tradition and life all conflicting. RahXephon's OST goes hand in hand with the captivating grandiosity of the aesthetics and all around stellar production values and story (which I find to be fairly good, but there's widespread variety of opinion there).

As for comedy, Azazel-san is absolutely hilarious and clever potty humour, The Legend of Koizumi is hilarious absurdity and bombast, Gintama takes some time to pick up, but once it does it delivers with all sorts of brands of humour and if you're daring, the first 3 episodes of Mad Bull 34 are great filthy comedy that's too ridiculous to take to heart.

So yeah, give those a shot.

kitkatxz said:
mavrosheep said:

Agreed.

"Evangelion: 10/10, Hunter X Hunter 1999: 10/10..."
Awesome!
"5 Centimeters per second: 10/10, Shin Sekai Yori: 10/10."
Hmm...

I'll say: Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, Casshern Sins, RahXephon, Samurai Champloo, Kino's Journey, Kure-nai, Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Only Yesterday, Noein, Hanbun no Tsuki, Bartender, Beast Player Erin and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 plus I'll throw in Jojo 2012 for good measure and suggest you continue on with Hunter X Hunter in the 2011 adaptation starting at Greed Island (episode 59).

Ones I'm so-so on but you may enjoy: To Terra (TV series), Giant Robo and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin.

Enjoy!

I'm trying to bring myself to watch Rurouni and Cowboy Bebop due to the popularity, but it's one of those i just don't have to commitment too :P . Lain is on my list, and I watched tokyo magnitude but it was too dull for me, not enough 'color' haha..

anyway, thanks for the list! Will check out the rest!
Jun 4, 2014 4:00 AM
Oct 2013
Kaimon said:

Durarara is very similar to Baccano (in fact, I need to check if the same guys made it haha). I might even argue it's better than Baccano in some ways.
Jun 4, 2014 4:32 AM

Sep 2012
They are made by the same people. Same LN author and same director. Durarara!! season is going to be directed by someone different, though.
Jun 4, 2014 7:59 AM

Jan 2013
@mavro

Trust and Betrayal is just the 4 episode OVA. It's 2 hours long, nbd ;P. Don't bother with the full anime TV series, just read the manga for it instead (and skip the Reminiscence arc since Trust and Betrayal covers it magnificently).
Jun 4, 2014 1:48 PM

Apr 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
Sloth_ said:
AngelsArcanum said:
Sloth_ said:

Though, why not #2?

No problem at all.

Intially Buronson wanted to end the series at the Raoh arc, but due to the immense popularity, he extended the series because people were pining for more Hokuto no Ken. Unfortunately the writing quality plummets after Raoh because Buronson hadn't originally planned to go beyond that part and was just doing it for the readers, and it really shows; the arcs that come after are basically crappy rehashes of older ones with a few hackneyed elements thrown in to expand the mythos beyond what it was originally (long lost brothers, secret islands, etc). It drew out for 12 volumes past the planned 15, and by the time the last few volumes hit, Buronson just makes a final arc that is a figurative middle finger to the fans telling them he is done with the series; the last arc is painfully dumb and forced and is just an absolutely abysmal experience. So yeah, the original 15 volumes of the manga/108 episodes of the anime are fantastic, the rest is crap.

All right, thanks for the information.
Guess I'll skip it.
*109 episodes.
Jun 4, 2014 6:26 PM
Oct 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
@mavro

Trust and Betrayal is just the 4 episode OVA. It's 2 hours long, nbd ;P. Don't bother with the full anime TV series, just read the manga for it instead (and skip the Reminiscence arc since Trust and Betrayal covers it magnificently).

I'll actually watch the whole series though, i don't like skipping stuff, and I don't usually read manga anyway. Unless the anime series is bad and everybody's only recommending the OVA only?
Jun 4, 2014 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
Sloth_ said:

*109 episodes.

The 109th is a recap compilation episode and preview for HnK 2 ;P

mavrosheep said:
AngelsArcanum said:
@mavro

I'll actually watch the whole series though, i don't like skipping stuff, and I don't usually read manga anyway. Unless the anime series is bad and everybody's only recommending the OVA only?

Well the anime is somewhat dated and the final arc is entirely filler while replacing a good 1/3 of the manga. Trust and Betrayal's mini arc actually takes place during that final arc in the manga (Jinchu) as a flashback. The manga still looks great to this day and is quite a classic, but it's your call about undergoing it, and with that said, Trust and Betrayal can stand on its own completely, you don't need to watch/read/know anything about RuroKen prior to or after watching it.
AngelsArcanumJun 4, 2014 6:59 PM
Jun 6, 2014 1:50 PM
Sep 2013
I have no clue what to watch. I have basically added anything and everything which looks even vaguely appealing to my PTW list, and as a a consequence I am drowning in anime that will probably never be watched. I basically need to see the essentials, and things that you think I would like based on my very small watched list.
Jun 6, 2014 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
MetalGear said:
I have no clue what to watch. I have basically added anything and everything which looks even vaguely appealing to my PTW list, and as a a consequence I am drowning in anime that will probably never be watched. I basically need to see the essentials, and things that you think I would like based on my very small watched list.

I'd say probably cut: Afro Samurai, Akuma no Riddle, Another, Basilisk, Bayonetta, all of Black Rock Shooter, Haganai, 5 cm per second (don't bother with anything Shinkai really), Canaan, Darker than Black 2, Deadman Wonderland, Denpa teki na Kanojo (BIG no-no), Devil May Cry, that Final Fantasy OVA?, Freezing, Gantz, Brynhildr, Guilty Crown, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, that new Hakkenden anime I hear isn't great, Highschool DxD, Higurashi anime, Hoshi no Koe (more Shinkai), Infinite Stratos, Kaze no Stigma, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Nakaimo, Le Chevalier D'eon (another doozy), Lucky Star, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Nisekoi, Valkyria Chronicles (haven't heard great things), Shigurui (quite extreme and incomplete, but some people like the manga, so if you can stomach it, try the manga perhaps), Shin Sekai Yori, Heaven's Lost Property, Gargantia, Super Sonico, SAO 2, Tenjo Tenge (read the manga instead), To Love-ru, Tokyo Mew Mew, My Little Monster, Vividred Operation, Witch Hunter Robin (awful), Yahari Ore SNAFU or w/e, Familiar of Zero and Master of Martial Hearts.

Maybes: 07-Ghost and Ah My Goddess (the manga goes on longer I guess), Burst Angel, Blood Lad, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Durarara, Fate Stay Night original, Fruits Baskets (manga goes on), Highschool of the Dead (depends what you're looking for, it's fun for people who like really trashy stuff I guess), K-On (depends again), Black Butler (same as previous), Level E (the story is one big troll fest to the viewer), Love Hina (more manga), Rin (unless you are okay with eroguro), Phantom Requiem (second half is poor apparently), Trigun anime (try the manga, the anime doesn't hold up too well) and Un-Go.

I'll let you know what to prioritize on your list a little later, in a bit of a rush atm.
Jun 6, 2014 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
I agree mostly with Angels. Though I'd say keep 5 cm per second and Shin Sekai Yori. Shinkai's works may not have the most solid stories or characters but that's not what they're mainly about. The easily relatable characters and situations lead the viewer to think back to their own similar experiences. If you're going to try out a Shinkai work make it 5 cm per second or The Place Promised in our Early Days. For 5 cm, I felt bittersweet yet calmly content once it was it was finished. At the very least you'll be getting a beautiful anime world to soak in. Shin Sekai Yori was one of my favorite anime from last year. If you're interested about a seemingly utopian society with a few dark secrets then this may be for you.

A few of those maybes seem like cuts as well but a lot of it depends like Angels said. I really enjoyed the first half Phantom but the second unfortunately ruined it for me. Reading Love Hina recently made me wonder how it got so popular. There's more unique harems out there.
Jun 7, 2014 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah, I don't know much about Love Hina, but I believe the manga goes on longer and people seem to hold the manga in better regard for whatever it's worth.
Jun 7, 2014 4:03 PM
Sep 2013
AngelsArcanum said:
MetalGear said:

snip

Nagisa33 said:
snip

Thanks so much guys, this is amazing already. If angels wants to go deeper then that would be great, but this helps a lot.
Jun 17, 2014 3:16 AM

Jun 2013
Thread still alive? If so "pick me! pick me!"...
I mean.. uhh please reccommend me something to watch :D. My favorite genre is psychological, mysteries like Death Note, Physco pass etc
Jun 17, 2014 3:21 AM
Nov 2009
Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion. There's more but I doubt you would like any of it. (Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Utena ect.)
Jun 17, 2014 3:23 AM

Oct 2012
Mugi beat me to the punch. Watch the Ghost in the Shell series though (GitS Stand Alone Complex.) Basing on your list, it's definitely the more fitting one for you.
Jun 17, 2014 3:28 AM

Jun 2013
Thanks both of you :D I'll give it a go
Jun 18, 2014 9:13 PM

Jun 2013
As for the stuff you have Planned to Watched I would advise you to watch Hunter x Hunter first as it is absolutely the best Shounen ever :) Also if you enjoyed Baccano! I would say you'll love Durarara. They're made by the same studio (I think?) and Durarara is better in my opinion.
Jun 19, 2014 1:49 AM
Jan 2013
FloatsBoats said:
As for the stuff you have Planned to Watched I would advise you to watch Hunter x Hunter first as it is absolutely the best Shounen ever :) Also if you enjoyed Baccano! I would say you'll love Durarara. They're made by the same studio (I think?) and Durarara is better in my opinion.

Eh Baccano is better in my opinion cause the story is actually told better and isn't focused on the boring characters unlike durarara focused on the boring highschool characters. I may rematch it though due to the 2nd season coming but i doubt i'll change my score of it being a 4...
Jun 19, 2014 1:54 AM

Apr 2012
kitkatxz said:
FloatsBoats said:

Eh Baccano is better in my opinion cause the story is actually told better and isn't focused on the boring characters unlike durarara focused on the boring highschool characters. I may rematch it though due to the 2nd season coming but i doubt i'll change my score of it being a 4...

Yeah Baccano is definetly better. In Baccano pretty much all the characters are entertaining, in Durara the main characters are boring. Big flaw.
Jun 22, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2011
Look at my list and tell me what to watch. I've run out of ideas.
Jun 22, 2014 11:26 AM

Apr 2012
Motion_Menace said:
Look at my list and tell me what to watch. I've run out of ideas.

This isnt so much based on your list, since you dont seem to have seen many like it, but since you havent seen it, I recommend you watch NANA. Its a rather lonely up in my list too as I am not much of a fan of romance/drama type anime but this one is really good.

Other than that you could watch Claymore, if you liked Berserk. I feel that its very similar in style and even the ending is similarly cut off, but its actually even worse so in Claymore. Id recommend reading Claymore more than watching it, but I think watching it is quite an enjoyable experience as well, and I dont regrett it despite the butchered ending.
Jun 22, 2014 12:50 PM

Apr 2010
@Motion_Menace
Try Honey and Clover. I think you would like it.
Jun 23, 2014 2:12 AM

Oct 2012
galimx said:
@Motion_Menace
Try Honey and Clover. I think you would like it.

I'd like to back this up. I'm currently reading the manga (Since it's the only thing left of H&C which I haven't finished,) and I'm reminded of all the things I loved with the anime. Big rec from me. :D
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.