Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2022 7:57 AM

Feb 2012
A novelistic story, which was both a strength and a weakness. Many scenes were just about telling what had happened, usually in narration. The story itself was quite ordinary, at least it had the tone and resolution quite typical of Japanese short stories, but which isn't so common in anime. I didn't think it was beautiful but rather sad, a rumination on the inability to connect, fear of life, fear of consequences, and things turning out ambiguous because we let those fears prevent us from acting at moments when it's important.

While it was nice to see something like this in anime, it wasn't that original. I wouldn't call the characters complex, but it's nice to see people behaving more realistically, having motivations that cannot be said to be clearly good or evil. The last scene together was great, what happened and didn't happen, the implication that the son was his, and how the hands didn't touch. That was also when this episode used well storytelling with images alone without the need to rely on the narrator to explain everything.

The animation was a bit jarring. Most anime uses background photos as source material, but here many scenes looked like they were just shots of the scenery which had been coloured over, so realistic that the animated characters looked odd in comparison.
Feb 24, 2023 1:13 PM
Dec 2021
Get a grip, fuckers. 
It's so nice to have romance differ from your highschool teen romcom or drama.
Need more stuff like this.

Are you happy? 
Yes, Very much.
In real life, most of the time things end up nowehere close to how we wanted them to be. That final line alone is worth a 9/10
Nov 4, 2023 1:12 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to Oriolidae
ChaosLegion said:
That chick's a WHORE! Her wedding was in three mounths and yet she goes and bangs her highschool love interest? Now,that's slutty! I mean...ok,she loves him...but then why did she decide to marry that other guy? And why didn't she accept Hisao's offer and stay? She wanted more from life? She didn't want to be just a housewife in her small hometown? Not like her sister - "a plain woman whom no one would notice" was it?
In the end,everything that's left from her big pretensions are a ruined marriage and a kid who will never know his real father. Good Job !!! WHOOOOOORE

Maybe I'm looking at it from a wrong angle but I just can't see that story as a very beautiful one.Rather,to me it's more of a reminder of how women shouldn't be trusted completely.

Your post made me disappointed, since you've managed to totally miss and ignore the beautiful point of this piece. To enjoy this, you have to be able to sympathise with the protagonist, and if you can't it's either because you're too young, too inexperienced or too heartless.

Yes, this woman was unfaithful (or as you put it, whoring) one. single. time. Instead of stopping there, and go on a total rampage because of this point, you're meant to ask why she did this?

People make choices through life, and since no one is perfect, one's choices aren't necessarily perfect either. She had to leave her hometown, that was her big dream. She didn't want to be one of the people that blend in with the cityscape. That, she had always believed, and in retrospect, it might have been a shallow dream, but who is to judge? Her belief wavers when she becomes pregnant with a coworker and it still doesn't feel right. She becomes insecure of what she wants. Didn't she want this? She's living her dream life, yet she isn't happy? When she meets her old crush in her hometown, while saying goodbye to her parents, she ends up succumbing to her pressure, and seeks what might have given her happiness. Afterwards she makes a choice to ignore him after all and she leaves. Was that the right choice? For her, at that moment, the force of her dream was stronger, but when she looks back, she feels that her dream was a lie. Her dream didn't bring her happiness (well, at least that's how I interpret it).

We don't know what will make us happy, but we keep going, fumbling for that thing which will save us. Some are luckier than others, but I believe that it is a part of growing up to feel a sense of loss and melancholia about some parts of your life. Some experience it earlier than others, but believe me, it'll come.

Life is built of "what if"'s, and some people realise that their alternate option would have made them happier. What about it? That's life, and it's up to you how you act upon it.

About your conclusion to not trust women, I'll let this quote speak for itself: "In terms of infidelity, the theory states that when sex-ratios are high, men are more likely to be promiscuous and engage in sex outside of a committed relationship because the demand for men is higher and so this type of behaviour, which is desired by men, is more accepted. On the other hand, when sex ratios are low, promiscuity is less common because women are in demand and since they desire monogamy and commitment, in order for men to remain competitive in the pool of mates, they must respond to these desires. Support for this theory comes from evidence showing higher divorce rates in countries with lower sex ratios and higher monogamy rates in countries with higher sex ratios (ibid.)" / Source: Wikipedia
@Oriolidae You don't ask 'Why' when a Female protagonist cheats on her husband and has an illegitimate child in the marriage.... You don't ask 'Why' when a Male protagonist because the way the world treats and he takes his frustration out on his wife physically.... Let me ask you a question, which one option of the two would women pick if the HAD to choose, 1. Physically violent husband 2. Sexually/Emotionally disloyal husband ?? Most women would pick option 2 cuz they might forgive disloyal husband but will never forgive physically violent husband.... That is why we never ask 'Why' when a Male character physically attacks women.... Now lets flip it and ask the same question for men, 1. Physically violent wife 2. Sexually/Emotionally disloyal ?? most men would pick option 1 cuz they can forgive physically violent wife but they will never forgive disloyal wives especially when they have illegitimate child... So you don't ask 'Why' when Female characters cheat.....

Now imagine this, what if Hisao slapped Noriko the moment he realized Motoki was his son, would the world (women) be like "Understandable/ realistic reaction/ can't blame him" ??? NOOO!! They would obliterate him saying 'How dare he slap a woman'..... The same with the Husband.... If the husband slapped Noriko for lying that Motoki being his son, would the world (women) forgive him? NO.... No way its going to happen....

The level of hurt the Husband, Hisao and Motoki will feel when they learn the truth is inconceivable/unimginable for us, and it is comparable to hurt a wife feels when she is physically attacked by her husband.... Neither a physically violent Husband NOR a Disloyal wife should be forgiven and give the empathy of asking the question 'Why'

Works targeting Men don't have themes like "I have problems and I physically hit my wife, but I feel guilty for it but my understand my circumstances, there was no way i am going to survive without hitting my wife" which is worst possible thing for a Man to do to a Woman

BUT

Works targeting Women have themes like " I have problems and I cheat on my husband, sometimes I feel guilty, sometimes I don't but understand my circumstances, there was no way for me survive without cheating on my husband " which is worst thing a Woman can do to her Man which is WORSE than physically hitting him

Men who physically attack women and Women who cheat on their loving partners and morally equivalent and should not be shown empathy

Noriko bought unbelievable amount of pain to her Husband, Hisao and Motoki without their fault and her solution for that problem is deceive them that to tell truth, face the consequences of her actions and ask for forgiveness and people who show empathy towards characters like Noriko are people who have zero empathy for men and are equivalent to men who would show empathy towards characters who beat women

So please show empathy towards men
Nov 13, 2023 7:27 AM
Sep 2009
It was a bit nostalgic
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 3 Discussion

Naruleach - Mar 24, 2013

26 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 2 Discussion

Josh - Mar 20, 2013

39 by Kristiwazhere »»
Nov 10, 2023 10:06 AM

Poll: » Otona Joshi no Anime Time Episode 4 Discussion

tsubasalover - Mar 24, 2013

40 by Kira_Illusionist »»
Nov 4, 2023 12:04 PM

» That feel when you check your list and notices that this show has more episodes...

Pizzaholic - Dec 27, 2012

17 by ueki27 »»
Mar 19, 2013 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.