Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find it difficult to watch very old anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 21, 2013 8:29 PM

Oct 2012
MajinSaga said:
Candor said:
How can you not like such fabulousness?

What series is that? Looks interesting (seriously).

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Jun 21, 2013 8:31 PM

Mar 2012
natssuu said:
MajinSaga said:
Candor said:

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Looks like I've finally found a reason to watch it.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jun 21, 2013 8:50 PM

Jul 2012
as long as its in color I don't have a problem.
Jun 21, 2013 8:54 PM

Jun 2013
Sometimes, I mean as it is now I'm so used to the new style of anime in this generation than it was back in the 90's. I can manage if it's a good story to the anime though c:
Jun 21, 2013 8:55 PM
Feb 2012
Negative-Travis said:

Looks like I've finally found a reason to watch it.

... Through my view, this wouldn't (not saying it's bad, it's... just not my thing). Though, when I did catch some of it on Funimation Channel years ago, it seemed interesting.

... one day, I've got to watch the whole show.
Jun 21, 2013 9:03 PM

Aug 2010
I do find it hard but for some shows I love the animation style, example would be lupin.
Jun 21, 2013 9:06 PM

Jun 2013
If the story is good enough then yes. But it takes a lot.
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Jun 21, 2013 9:16 PM

Jun 2012
I used to, now it's just like anything else.

YorozuyaGinSan said:
On the contrary...

I have a hard time watching new Anime such as K.

+1
Jun 21, 2013 9:41 PM
Jun 2012
i have a hard time watching very old anime, the art looks boring and unappealing to me. somehow i feel that the plot is shallow too.

this is just my opinion anyway, to each his own.
Jun 22, 2013 5:58 AM

Sep 2012
Depends on the anime. Old anime like gunbuster and crying freeman had excellent art. Art hardly bothers me, what bothers me is repeating frames/stock footage (not sure what its called exactly) and lazy animation. But even newer anime can have that. Putting aside art, sometimes older anime tend to be extremely cheesy. With corny dialogue that is like nails on a chalkboard. Either that or laughably simplistic stories with terrible pacing. But again, newer anime is not exempt from this, so its not a problem.

Jun 22, 2013 7:19 AM

Jan 2012
natssuu said:
MajinSaga said:
Candor said:

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Spoonfeeding
Jun 22, 2013 7:58 AM
Oct 2012
My other list is packed full of very old anime. I've seen more anime from before World War II than some users have seen from the entire 20th century, lol.
Jun 22, 2013 8:52 AM

Dec 2012
I'm very picky on art, so I find it hard to :|
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 22, 2013 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
If there's a better looking remake, I'll watch that. I like pretty things.
Jun 22, 2013 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
Shocked said:
To be honest, I had trouble getting used to the art style in Revolutionary Girl Utena at first, but then the anime got rolling and it stopped bothering me. So my answer would be no, although it might take a bit for me to get used to it. Still, rather than age, I'd say it's more of trying to get used to a different style. I can imagine someone having trouble getting into something that's drastically different from what they're used to. Say, stuff like Kaiba, or stuff that are made by Studio Shaft that have some unique look to them, different look from the clean cut stuff we see a lot today.

Unless we're actually talking about not like old anime because they are old, then I got nothing. Besides the art, is there something unique to "old" anime that makes it hard to approach compared to the newer stuff? Does that work in reverse, where someone would never touch anything with that "new" feel to it? I'm not sure.
It's a quite different experience with me for Utena because I immediately fell in love with the art style. And even if the animation was low in the early episodes I still enjoyed, even if they repeated the footage of utena walking to the arena I always get pumped "MOKUSHIKUSHIMOSHIMOKUKUSHIMOKUMOSHIKUMOSHIMOKU"

Anyway, I actually have an easier time watching older anime than the new ones. Theres still variety in todays shows but I'm just not into the super bright/colurful backgrounds and character designs along with a few cgi effects (I think the new berserk movies are good, but I still favor the art from the past anime). However, I've barely had a hard time with art and watched most animes with no problems who are notorious for their art such as clannad, one piece, and code geass.
Jun 22, 2013 10:47 AM

Jul 2011
I find it difficult to find enough seeds to download...
Jun 22, 2013 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, I think it needs better animation (by that I mean HD) and better sound.
Jun 22, 2013 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
ainky said:

That depends on popularity, not age.
Jun 22, 2013 10:54 AM

Apr 2011
TheAsap said:
ainky said:

That depends on popularity, not age.

In most cases older anime aren't as popular as new anime.
Jun 22, 2013 10:57 AM

Dec 2012
It's a shame that people actually do, since the old anime are...well the best anime. I discussed this with a friend, and anything from 2005+ can't compare to <2000. I'm generalizing here, but the majority of anime can'y really compare to the classics of old.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Jun 22, 2013 11:03 AM
Oct 2012
If you think comparing all the incredibly accessible anime from 2005-2013 against all the best shows (and very few of the worst, since they've pretty much all been forgotten) of the entire 20th century is fair, I've got news for you.

All the garbage from the pre-internet days is ignored by basically everyone because the only stuff that anybody watches from back then is the best stuff the era had to offer. Now, in 2013, people in America and Canada and Brazil and Lithuania and wherever else can all just hop online and watch every single anime that's currently airing, so there's nothing filtering out the worthless junk. If you've got everything, good and bad, from a span of under a decade, and you're comparing it with the best of the best from a span of over 80 years, that's just silly.
Jun 22, 2013 11:05 AM

Jun 2013
I always hear that all these old anime are so good but when I try to watch it I just cant stand it.
♡ Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya ♡

Jun 22, 2013 11:07 AM

Dec 2012
It's hard to being myself to watch it, but once I do, it's just like any other anime.
Jun 22, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2012
AstralAxolotl said:
If you think comparing all the incredibly accessible anime from 2005-2013 against all the best shows (and very few of the worst, since they've pretty much all been forgotten) of the entire 20th century is fair, I've got news for you.

All the garbage from the pre-internet days is ignored by basically everyone because the only stuff that anybody watches from back then is the best stuff the era had to offer. Now, in 2013, people in America and Canada and Brazil and Lithuania and wherever else can all just hop online and watch every single anime that's currently airing, so there's nothing filtering out the worthless junk. If you've got everything, good and bad, from a span of under a decade, and you're comparing it with the best of the best from a span of over 80 years, that's just silly.

OMG

THIS X10000000

Jun 22, 2013 11:51 AM
Feb 2012
Ghostony said:
Yes, for the common reasons. All these proclaimed masterpieces should be remade with better visual&audio quality

^this

It's so fucking difficult for me to enjoy anime of the 90s, much less 80s. Simply because I'm used to overall better stuff. I admit, it's a superficial attitude but it can't be helped.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 22, 2013 11:54 AM
Feb 2012
AstralAxolotl said:

Jun 22, 2013 12:39 PM

Mar 2012
GuiltyKing said:
Ghostony said:
Yes, for the common reasons. All these proclaimed masterpieces should be remade with better visual&audio quality

^this

It's so fucking difficult for me to enjoy anime of the 90s, much less 80s. Simply because I'm used to overall better stuff. I admit, it's a superficial attitude but it can't be helped.

So I suppose plot and character development don't rank high on your "Things Ever Anime Needs" list?
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jun 22, 2013 1:04 PM

Jun 2013
While it isn't the most important thing, I do find it hard to watch older anime, especially from back in the 80s. I have just grown used to having smooth animation I guess.
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.
Jun 22, 2013 1:31 PM
May 2010
Older anime is what got me into the medium in the first place, so no, I can't say I have an issue with it.
Jun 22, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2012
It depends.
I mostly feel weird while watching old shows. It's also hard because I'm used to good audio and animation quality.

The only things I can watch without a problem are the old childhood shows like dragonball, inuyasha, ranma..

But that dosnt mean I dislike the old shows, I also have some in my PTW
Jun 22, 2013 3:15 PM

May 2011
LimeSlate said:
AstralAxolotl said:

AMEN
Jun 22, 2013 4:13 PM

May 2013
LimeSlate said:
AstralAxolotl said:

But the typical anime art style has evolved since then, for better or for worse. It just depends on what you prefer to be honest. While you may prefer the art style of anime back then, I prefer the art style of most anime now. When you think about it that way, why would you want to watch your less prefered type? And before your prefered type no less. Also, I believe there are more art styles and genres to choose from in today's anime then there was back then, so that may factor in too why many prefer the anime of today. There is just more choice. More and more anime today cater to specific targeted audiences, more so than past anime, and those specific targeted audiences will often be fairly small.
Jun 22, 2013 8:36 PM

Dec 2012
No, I don't have any trouble watching them. I do find them less visually appealing than a lot of newer post 2000 stuff though. I watch a show for the plot though so how it looks doesn't matter much unless it's really fugly.
KruszerJun 22, 2013 9:04 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 22, 2013 8:50 PM

Oct 2012
no it is not difficult
RRRRRRRRRR
Jun 22, 2013 9:43 PM

Mar 2012
Nope
Jun 23, 2013 1:01 AM

Mar 2010
Dark_Chaos said:
I prefer my anime with massive alien eyes thank you very much ;P

On the side note, i don't. as long as plot interests me.
Jun 23, 2013 7:09 AM
Mar 2013
Yes, for the common reasons. All these proclaimed masterpieces should be remade with better visual&audio

Yeah, let's suck the warmth and charm out of them.

Vomit. You people are why Hollywood makes a fortune on forgettable remakes.
Jun 23, 2013 7:13 AM

Aug 2012
no.
Jun 23, 2013 7:24 AM
Mar 2013
Yes, I do.

My tolerance when it comes down to bad visuals isn't that great but there are few out there that regardless how old they are, they still remain one of the bests out there.

We could use less retarded, boring or ecchi anime and instead have a remake of the good old anime just like Hunter X Hunter.
Jun 23, 2013 7:27 AM

May 2013
vongola1314 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
I prefer my anime with massive alien eyes thank you very much ;P

On the side note, i don't. as long as plot interests me.

Compared to most anime today, those eyes seem very normal in comparison.

You couldn't have found a better picture than that? 0_o
Jun 23, 2013 8:04 AM

Apr 2013
Not really. as long as the story is good i will watch it even if it is old animes :)
Jun 23, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2007
Yes, I think it needs better animation (by that I mean HD) and better sound.
Archer-san said:
I have just grown used to having smooth animation I guess.

_Core said:
It depends.
I mostly feel weird while watching old shows. It's also hard because I'm used to good audio and animation quality.

Being drawn or displayed in a high-definition resolution doesn't have anything to do with animation quality. All that really matters is having a sufficient in-between animation budget to avoid the "slideshow effect." Older anime just take a perception penalty because modern audiences watch them on mis-sized screens.

As for audio, once mono audio was phased out in the early 90s, bitrates haven't been all that different. 192-224 kbps AC3 isn't any worse than the ~170 kbps AAC in contemporary TV-rips. Of course, that's assuming one actually watches them on DVD, rather than ancient DivX .ogms with transcoded 70 kbps Vorbis audio. Or worse, streams re-encoded from those old DVD-rips.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Jun 23, 2013 12:29 PM

May 2013
I do understand that some people have problems watching old anime,however I did started watching anime in a very early age,anime like Heidi,Ranma,Inuyasha,Chin Chan and every single one of those ... well,I wouldn't consider it as good animation but I didn't have a problem with it however there's a point,and I kinda understand why people can't get into anime from the 90's.However there are some which are old but still have good animation like for example princess mononoke and ghost in the shell.
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
Jun 28, 2013 1:18 PM

Mar 2010
Dark_Chaos said:
Compared to most anime today, those eyes seem very normal in comparison.

You couldn't have found a better picture than that? 0_o

What you said in your prev post
If it was made in the early 2000's or before, then yes for the most part

and yet you said that the eyes in the gif (from a 1979 anime) seem very normal.
you're obviously contradicting your own post.
Jun 28, 2013 1:19 PM

Mar 2013
Nope, not at all.
Jun 28, 2013 1:26 PM

Jul 2010
No way the classics are classic
Jun 28, 2013 3:05 PM

Feb 2013
Actually yes, I can't stand watching Detective Conan lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2013 3:18 PM

Aug 2011
No. I had no trouble watching Berserk (I actually enjoyed it a lot)
Jun 28, 2013 3:29 PM
Jan 2012
Just a bit. Not really, sometimes it does, it really depends on the first episode for me..
Jun 28, 2013 6:29 PM

Aug 2010
Not really, although I've never watched an anime older than the 80s.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Sep 20

49 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Today

50 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Why Do People Dislike Chinese Anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ames00 - Apr 1, 2018

399 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
14 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

swirlydragon - Apr 17, 2021

202 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
16 minutes ago

» How I started a fight. By saying let's fight Naruto is Goat!

Ken__Kaneki__Kun - Sep 19

21 by Dumb »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.