Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (31) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 4, 2013 7:48 PM

Aug 2008
WHAT? I'm kind of smiling like a idiot who didn't understand what I just saw.
Oh wow, I truly didn't expect that. Truly not.

Shall this threat be the biggest episode thread that involved with character's death.
May 4, 2013 7:48 PM
Oct 2012
Raikenzera said:
XLNC said:
Raikenzera said:
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

That Titan is kawaii as fuck.

Must come up with new word to describe kawaii giants.
Make a spinoff anime called 'Ore no Kyojin ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai'?

Genius, we'll call it OreKyo for short.
I'm somehow regretting about thinking of this...it makes me cringe thinking about a tsundere titan...

Titan said:
It's...it's not like I want to eat you or something...

OH GOD, WHY?

StrictlyStupid said:
StrictlyStupid said:
He's coming back next episode, right guys? This has got to be misleading.
pls respond
Flashbacks, I guess....but not the current (or should I say former) Eren.
May 4, 2013 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
pming said:
bloggbigg said:

The main breakdowns for me are:
- No moat.
- Gunpowder, but no bombs?
- I'll pretend no poisons work, nor acid or hot metals/tar/whatever.

Kek. What makes you think that Titans can't swim.

Traps are useless. Did you miss the part where the instructor told them that Titans could heal even with their heads blown off?

Yeah, they can heal every part of their body, except for back of the neck.

Look up "grape shots". They're explosive type shots.

Never assumed that- bot with a moat & drawbridge destroying a wall or gate is a tad harder.

You know how hunters trap things so the food is still there, much later? Not useless. The point isn't damage- it's immobilization.

Grape shots are not the same as a grenade right down the gullet.
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
May 4, 2013 7:51 PM
Nov 2011
bloggbigg said:
pming said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

Traps are useless. Did you miss the part where the instructor told them that Titans could heal even with their heads blown off?

Never assumed that- bot with a moat & drawbridge destroying a wall or gate is a tad harder.

You know how hunters trap things so the food is still there, much later? Not useless. The point isn't damage- it's immobilization.

Rewatch the anime.

They've got something even better than a moat. Bottomless pits.

Also, Titans can jump.

And don't worry - you'll see traps in action later on.
May 4, 2013 7:51 PM

Jan 2008
bloggbigg said:
pming said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

There are ways to immobilize a titan, but a single trap isn't going to do it, it takes a lot more work... a lot... and a lot of nails.
May 4, 2013 7:52 PM
Nov 2012
j0x said:
MaxCrazy7 said:
Most of you don't want to believe Eren is dead. I mean Jesus must be jealous, when he died everyone thought he was dead and he is God's son for crying out loud. Even after he came back to life they still couldn't believe it!

Jesus is legit as any other fictional characters out there

a casual ethicless atheist nothing new

ok the guy and most ppl here are christians why did you have the need offend them and say that their God is fictional?

but then again all atheists are like that
Jun 2008
Their blade remind me of those knives cutter found in stationery Store.

Seems like most Titan are male. Kinda give me this Claymore vibe. Men are simply weak mentally. xD

oi~~~the main character just died . Is he gonna cut his way through the Titan's stomach with just one hand?

Mar 2013
Poorfag-chan said:
Okay, I have no clue why that would happen so I won't spoil myself any further, but as long as I know that
I'm good.
ty
May 4, 2013 7:54 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
bloggbigg said:
Amarrez said:

A lot of these questions can be answered with spoilers from the manga, but do you really want me to go there?

The point is, 'now' everyone is running around not even commenting on the shortcomings- 'I wish we had more sulfur so we could make more bombs' or 'I can't believe the nobles won't budget us the traps we requested- we're lucky to still be getting rigs' or whatever.

Hmm well I don't think the nobles really care that much at all about the army, they just expect them to fend off the titans when the time comes. I don't know about the sulfur part because I'm not good with science and background information like you are, but it's probably due to the lack of resources? I mean, most people are already struggling to survive. The children, if they had no decide to enlist in the army, would still be working in the fields. I think not that many care enough and don't understand the danger they're in.

Nov 2008
MellowJello said:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO HAHAHAHA EREN. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

People who haven't read the manga, I feel so bad for you.
As if you were not shocked when you read the manga too. Or perhaps you marathoned it thats why all the feels killed it for you? That's even more sad.

I'd say it is a pleasant surprise for anime watchers for this kind of twist. I'm sure this will be on their mind until the next episode. Others even submitted to read the manga.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Feb 2009
ibrahim-almulhim said:
j0x said:
MaxCrazy7 said:
Most of you don't want to believe Eren is dead. I mean Jesus must be jealous, when he died everyone thought he was dead and he is God's son for crying out loud. Even after he came back to life they still couldn't believe it!

Jesus is legit as any other fictional characters out there

a casual ethicless atheist nothing new

ok the guy and most ppl here are christians why did you have the need offend them and say that their God is fictional?

but then again all atheists are like that

You sure showed him by making baseless generalizations.
May 4, 2013 7:55 PM

Apr 2012
Left Leg... Right Arm... Where have I seen that before ??

Anyways, awesome episode, the titans seem a lot smarter then people make them out to be. Plus they are immortal? Damn these things are difficult to beat.

Jan 2013
Tyrel said:
bloggbigg said:
I have very mixed feelings on this anime-

- No moat.
- Why does that teleporting titan never teleport inside?
- I can't imagine the reason why they have no bear traps or spikes setup.
- No siege engines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista
-Explosives >Look up grapeshots.

- How the hell did they decide titans were mindless?
- Everyone is ridiculously stupid. I get that they are all green and whatnot, but seriously? Years of training, and no-one is competent?
- No apparent regard for chain of command. 'Don't run or you die' is it?
- You've all got 2 friggin swords and grappling tech. Doing damage inside a mouth doesn't come to mind? wtf?
- On that note they should all be carrying explosives to throw- never mind- explosives are strictly for cannons...
- And 3 years and they made no effort to fortify the gate? or the wall which was already known to be weak...

-What will a moat do? They have limited resources as it is. Titans are big and you saw that for yourself. They can't just make a average 15-20m+ Deep moat that stretches throughout.
-Why does that teleporting titan never teleport inside? Not really said, but it's somewhat shown.
-Spikes, beatraps, etc won't help them. If cannon balls can't do shit, what will these do? They can just crawl.
-Poisons probably don't exist in this ERA.
-No clue here for siege engine.

-Years of training and no one competent? Well of course they had Zero/Little Actual combat. Pretty sure it's zero
-Damaging mouth going to shit all, damaging back of the neck only works to kill em.
-Fortify the wall with what? That colossal titan would just kick it down like it's a wooden wall. Plus it hasn't even been said in the manga.

A lot of these answers can be said with common sense, not spoilers like some people said. But yes, the manga explores into it more.

Moats protect walls & gates from battering.
I don't know what you mean by 'somewhat shown- but that's fine if it is.
They would immobilize/limit maneuverability/force them to be in line of fire.
Poisons always exist
kk
They died because they lacked proper leadership more than anything else.
Damaging mouth would keep you alive in mouth. If lucky, others can kill it from outside.
Fortify the wall with more stone- like the stuff they pointed out they hadn't dug up. it kept them out before- only the huge one could break it down.
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.

Mar 2012
Well, surely the anime felt more tense than the manga especially with the background music. That asshole Lord really deserved some "lessons".
Keep moving forward
May 4, 2013 7:56 PM
Nov 2011
See at around 5:08 minutes.

They've got bottomless pits, nets, spikes, barricades.
May 4, 2013 7:56 PM

Apr 2011
He died for real shows over...bye guys!

May 4, 2013 7:57 PM
Mar 2009
mind = blow.
5/5

I just can't wait for the next episode.

Jan 2013
I want that lord balto to be eaten soooo badly

Feb 2009
bloggbigg said:

I'd like to know how you think they can use a moat to stop a 50+ meter tall titan from battering down their gate. It would have to be as big as a lake.
What measures they took before have been effective for 100 years because there was no Colossal titan (or other titans with any sign of intelligence) showing up before.
May 4, 2013 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
wtf did I just watch

5/5
May 4, 2013 8:01 PM

Jan 2013
episode 5 and hes already dead. im so done with this suspense of what happens next.

Feb 2013
Rape face Santa anyone?

~ El Psy Congroo~

Apr 2013
Seriously though did anyone else have an animationgasm in some of those scenes?
May 4, 2013 8:02 PM

Feb 2009
Krissirk said:
Rape face Santa anyone?

That's not Santa, it's Richard Stallman.
May 4, 2013 8:02 PM
Feb 2012
People..... FOr real.... I felt like I was about to dIE ! That epi Shocked me LOTS of times.... And I thought episode 4 left me with shocks.....but......Damn........Episode 5 went just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit further
May 4, 2013 8:03 PM

Sep 2011
bloggbigg said:
Tyrel said:
bloggbigg said:
I have very mixed feelings on this anime-

- No moat.
- Why does that teleporting titan never teleport inside?
- I can't imagine the reason why they have no bear traps or spikes setup.
- No siege engines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista
-Explosives >Look up grapeshots.

- How the hell did they decide titans were mindless?
- Everyone is ridiculously stupid. I get that they are all green and whatnot, but seriously? Years of training, and no-one is competent?
- No apparent regard for chain of command. 'Don't run or you die' is it?
- You've all got 2 friggin swords and grappling tech. Doing damage inside a mouth doesn't come to mind? wtf?
- On that note they should all be carrying explosives to throw- never mind- explosives are strictly for cannons...
- And 3 years and they made no effort to fortify the gate? or the wall which was already known to be weak...

-What will a moat do? They have limited resources as it is. Titans are big and you saw that for yourself. They can't just make a average 15-20m+ Deep moat that stretches throughout.
-Why does that teleporting titan never teleport inside? Not really said, but it's somewhat shown.
-Spikes, beatraps, etc won't help them. If cannon balls can't do shit, what will these do? They can just crawl.
-Poisons probably don't exist in this ERA.
-No clue here for siege engine.

-Years of training and no one competent? Well of course they had Zero/Little Actual combat. Pretty sure it's zero
-Damaging mouth going to shit all, damaging back of the neck only works to kill em.
-Fortify the wall with what? That colossal titan would just kick it down like it's a wooden wall. Plus it hasn't even been said in the manga.

A lot of these answers can be said with common sense, not spoilers like some people said. But yes, the manga explores into it more.

I don't know what you mean by 'somewhat shown- but that's fine if it is.
They would immobilize/limit maneuverability/force them to be in line of fire.
Poisons always exist
kk
They died because they lacked proper leadership more than anything else.
Damaging mouth would keep you alive in mouth. If lucky, others can kill it from outside.
Fortify the wall with more stone- like the stuff they pointed out they hadn't dug up. it kept them out before- only the huge one could break it down.

-You can't build a 50 Meter moat outside your gate when titans are nearby from the first attack. Titans never attacked for 100 years, pretty sure the thought never came to mind after few years of not being attacked. The water to fill that wouldn't even be found within the city.
-Somewhat shown = Spoiler can't say that as it's latest manga chapter.
-For like what 15-20 seconds? They can heal right away depending on where they're damaged/how much they're damaged. But yes it could help, maybe, if they're still fast enough to get the titan.
-Poisons don't always exist, from what I've seen it doesn't in this anime/manga.
-How would damage the mouth keep them alive? You saw what cannonballs did to them, right? They still ran at them no matter what. A sword/knife going through mouth probably feels like a pinch.

Can't say much else.
May 4, 2013 8:05 PM

Jan 2013
Too many responses- I appreciate all the info- but a couple points some are overlooking:

1: Poison doesn't have to just 'do damage'- too many hit-point games do that to your thinking. They can make you sick, comatose, delirious- even kill dead. Most concede regeneration after dead usually doesn't work.
2: Anything I said probably was an point to exploit some aspect of more immobilization. All traps, all pointy jabby siege weapons- all of it. Except the explosives- which would be good for slowing it down/finding the regen limit (if one exists).
3: You don't train a bunch of 'privates' and let them loose without a leader. Not unless you don't mind making more 'privates'. Zero combat experience is one thing- but unguided pressure cooker expectations like this should result... well, like this.

May 4, 2013 8:07 PM

Jul 2012
XLNC said:
Raikenzera said:
XLNC said:
Raikenzera said:
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

That Titan is kawaii as fuck.

Must come up with new word to describe kawaii giants.
Make a spinoff anime called 'Ore no Kyojin ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai'?

Genius, we'll call it OreKyo for short.
I'm somehow regretting about thinking of this...it makes me cringe thinking about a tsundere titan...

Titan said:

OH GOD, WHY?

Oh God, I'm dying laughing here, now we have to make this!
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

May 4, 2013 8:07 PM

Jan 2013
pming said:

Rewatch the anime.

They've got something even better than a moat. Bottomless pits.

Also, Titans can jump.

And don't worry - you'll see traps in action later on.

kk. ty.

May 4, 2013 8:08 PM

Apr 2009
bloggbigg said:
Too many responses- I appreciate all the info- but a couple points some are overlooking:

1: Poison doesn't have to just 'do damage'- too many hit-point games do that to your thinking. They can make you sick, comatose, delirious- even kill dead. Most concede regeneration after dead usually doesn't work.
2: Anything I said probably was an point to exploit some aspect of more immobilization. All traps, all pointy jabby siege weapons- all of it. Except the explosives- which would be good for slowing it down/finding the regen limit (if one exists).
3: You don't train a bunch of 'privates' and let them loose without a leader. Not unless you don't mind making more 'privates'. Zero combat experience is one thing- but unguided pressure cooker expectations like this should result... well, like this.

Titans aren't affected by poison due to not being off proper human anatomy, they don't feel pain either. I do actually think poison was brought up in the manga though I may be remembering wrong.

They use traps later when they're actually prepared to fight titans.

To be perfectly honest, the soldiers on the frontline are just supposed to act as meat shields so the civilian population can evacuate. The command situation is pretty dire until Pixis shows up.
May 4, 2013 8:09 PM

Aug 2012
DenjaX said:
MellowJello said:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO HAHAHAHA EREN. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

People who haven't read the manga, I feel so bad for you.
As if you were not shocked when you read the manga too. Or perhaps you marathoned it thats why all the feels killed it for you? That's even more sad.

I'd say it is a pleasant surprise for anime watchers for this kind of twist. I'm sure this will be on their mind until the next episode. Others even submitted to read the manga.
No no, I had feels. But now that I read people (only just a few, mind you) hating on Eren, the comedy potential shoots through the roof.

It's a good twist, that's for sure.
May 4, 2013 8:11 PM

May 2012
Mikasa. <3
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 4, 2013 8:12 PM

Feb 2009
bloggbigg said:

There's no reason to assume they would have any kind of vulnerability to poison, especially once you find out more about their structure:

Slowing them down or immobilizing them is all well and good, but they have the numbers that it doesn't matter in a situation where they're all swarming to one place because there are humans there. Even if you stop 50 of them and they're all stuck just inside the gate, more of them are just going to come in and climb right over them. This is only useful at buying time for people to escape.
May 4, 2013 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
JOHJ said:
bloggbigg said:

I'd like to know how you think they can use a moat to stop a 50+ meter tall titan from battering down their gate. It would have to be as big as a lake.
What measures they took before have been effective for 100 years because there was no Colossal titan (or other titans with any sign of intelligence) showing up before.

I'll grant you 'the big one' wouldn't be stopped by a moat- but the rest would be at least slowed, and for fighting that's good. There is a book written entirely about mud & how it shaped the outcome of battles. Even if only ankle high, it would help.

May 4, 2013 8:14 PM

Apr 2013
HopeRayVictory said:
Seriously though did anyone else have an animationgasm in some of those scenes?
Definitely. I especially loved the flying-across-rooftops sequences. I like how they don't make the Spider-Man mistake of just having them shoot their grappling hooks wherever and shooting through the sky; they actually aim at stuff.

Not a manga reader, but I'm not going to pretend that Eren's dead when it's clear that he's not. Note to manga readers: Responding to a post with "Well, you'll find out," some witty rendition of "He DED" or a Spoiler-ed section is itself pretty much a spoiler. Also, this isn't really set up like TTGL was, where Kamina was clearly not the main character. I would have bought Mikasa dying a lot faster than Eren.

Someone suggested that the injection his dad gave him allowed him to somehow survive; I think it's as good a theory as any. Maybe it'll allow him to regenerate limbs like the Titans. If it does, I'm calling it: the Titans are totally humans who were earlier test subjects for this regenerating formula, and Eren's the first person to get the version of it that doesn't turn you into a purple people-eater. I'm going to reiterate what I said earlier, though: if you've read the manga and you respond to this with a spoiler-ed post, it's going to make it clear that some or all of this is what happens.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RevealingCoverup
May 4, 2013 8:14 PM

Jul 2012
Anime-oji said:
People..... FOr real.... I felt like I was about to dIE ! That epi Shocked me LOTS of times.... And I thought episode 4 left me with shocks.....but......Damn........Episode 5 went just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit further

For some reason, I get the feeling you're being sarcastic... There really should be a sarcasm font.
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 8:15 PM

Jan 2013
I actually don't want Eren to come back, it feels more realistic. If he stays dead this anime will feel so damn realistic
Nov 2011
bloggbigg said:
JOHJ said:
bloggbigg said:

I'll grant you 'the big one' wouldn't be stopped by a moat- but the rest would be at least slowed, and for fighting that's good. There is a book written entirely about mud & how it shaped the outcome of battles. Even if only ankle high, it would help.

Oh you and your fetish for moats.

They show already has bottomless pits.

Jan 2012
I so hope that ass is dead.
May 4, 2013 8:16 PM

Mar 2011
Titan said:

The irony of this is killing me.
May 4, 2013 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
Krissirk said:
Rape face Santa anyone?

Santa said:
Well, hellooo there little boy, do you like presents?
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 8:19 PM

Feb 2009
bloggbigg said:

The moat would have to be on the inside of the walls, like the pits that were show in the anime, because if they have that shit on the outside, it's just going to fill up with normal titans that fell in through the normal course of a day. Titans don't care if they keep falling in until they make a bridge of bodies. Not to mention, if they did have one, all that has to happen is the colossal titan dumps a nice big boulder into it for them to walk over before kicking in the gate.
May 4, 2013 8:22 PM

Apr 2010
bloggbigg said:
JOHJ said:
bloggbigg said:

I understand your desire to use logic here, but to explain why or why not certain fortifications exists would require huge spoilers.

Feb 2012

It looks like shirou lied to us guys.

Jul 2012
yep eren dead and is the end thank you for making the titan too much smarter 'facepalm'
m
May 4, 2013 8:24 PM

Jan 2013
pming said:
bloggbigg said:

Oh you and your fetish for moats.

They show already has bottomless pits.

LOL. It's a fetish, now is it?
It's just history. They worked. I have no idea why people act like there is a limit to how deep you can dig. They can clearly work stone & move it- otherwise where did the wall come from?

Anyway- I'm not saying 'they have to have a moat- oooh, sexy moat!'- just 'something' other than wait for death & train 60 people (or whatever) for 3 years.

I think the final point is 'more could have been done'.

May 4, 2013 8:27 PM

Feb 2012
Guys, Guys Look at me. I am cool because this shows sucks and I am always right. React to me. I am so smart.

But Seriously, this show has the balls to kill the *MC* so early. SnK could be a masterpiece the way it going. Can't wait for the next episode.
May 4, 2013 8:29 PM

Jan 2013
JOHJ said:
bloggbigg said:

The moat would have to be on the inside of the walls, like the pits that were show in the anime, because if they have that shit on the outside, it's just going to fill up with normal titans that fell in through the normal course of a day. Titans don't care if they keep falling in until they make a bridge of bodies. Not to mention, if they did have one, all that has to happen is the colossal titan dumps a nice big boulder into it for them to walk over before kicking in the gate.

However it works or doesn't- fine. The point is an entire city is sitting idle for 3 years while 60 guys (or whatever) train to die.
antonn said:

I understand your desire to use logic here, but to explain why or why not certain fortifications exists would require huge spoilers.

Fair enough. Anyway, my point is as above- regardless of potential 'moat-ability' of the wall.

May 4, 2013 8:29 PM

Oct 2012
WOW THIS EPISODE got to me.
mikasa <3
May 4, 2013 8:30 PM

Jan 2009
TheGreenKnight said:
yep eren dead and is the end

have faith in shounen genre

Pages (31) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1668 by daninoxxi »»
Sep 15, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Apr 13, 2013

1040 by deionking03 »»
Sep 12, 10:07 PM

» Attack on Titan Manga 15th Anniversary Project

Hickykissy - Sep 8

19 by Azoromesus »»
Sep 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MermaidGalaxies - Aug 10, 2013

573 by chris1763 »»
Sep 7, 2:33 PM

» Actors who you think is perfect for the cast of AOT live action

Hickykissy - Sep 3

38 by rocketeu »»
Sep 7, 7:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.