Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »
Mar 17, 2013 8:23 PM
Mar 2013
ah guys i just want to ask .. do you know when sao 2nd season will comes out? will sao have 2nd season?
please answer me .. arigatou
Mar 18, 2013 4:17 PM

May 2010
Forgetfulness said:
I think it's ridiculous that people are saying Asuna is a bad character because "she's useless" and "she needed Kirito to save her"

How the fuck was she supposed to get out of her coma? Oh wait she couldn't
In the game, she was being held by a GM and I'm surprised she got as far as she did.
-She figured out the code and waited til Sugou was on a business trip to leave the cage
-She found the control room
-Although she got caught, she stole the card AND was smart enough to drop it to Kirito

I'm pretty sure the average anime character wouldn't do half of that

Quoted for truth. I suppose those people are either haters of SAO in general or other "shippers". I honestly cannot see what is so bad about Asuna when she is better than the average girl in animes.

It is a ridiculous reason to dislike Asuna ''because she is useless and needs help".... did some of you even watch the anime? She is in a frickin' coma and locked up sherlocks. Simply because she is portrayed as a strong character she cannot be weak? Logic on MAL....
YzoriMar 18, 2013 4:21 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2013 8:39 PM

Aug 2012
In my opinion asuna is adorable and a dream girl :) maybe some people like to see bad sides than good :)
Mar 24, 2013 9:59 PM

Jul 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Fardale said:

Unless they're reality escape #1 and anime lover #2 PRIORITIES MAN! PRIORITIES! why over analyse the beauty that is SAO? :(

If a single second of thinking is enough to come up with severe plotholes then I have problems accepting the "beauty" of this series at least on the writing side. Sadly, this isn't the case for a lot of people here so someone has to focus their attention on it. And given the fact that MAL is for rating and comparing series I don't see any reason against this practice. Actually, it should be encouraged.

PoisonedTea said:
I am indifferent but Asuna is well written character
Strong and Smart.

Too bad the "strong and smart" aspects are thrown out of the window, thereby destroying your argument of a well-written character.

Don't forget the "well written" aspects thrown out of the window since the Kirito joining KoB and Kuradeel tries to kill him incident.
Apr 2, 2013 5:36 PM

Apr 2013
she doesn't look very hot in elfish form :P

'Nuff said
Ecchi & Action = Da best! :D

Apr 2, 2013 6:28 PM

Feb 2010
I want to guess most of the legitimate dislike for Asuna has to do with her being perfect relationship material or something of the sort and/or her lack of development.

But the way it's portrayed in the anime, we see Asuna at various stages of development in her relationship with Kirito and consequently at stages of her going from tsuntsun to deredere rather than something gradual throughout episodes. It's not hard to look at it like that with two years passing by. And honestly, it's refreshing to see a wedlocked couple like Kirito and Asuna.

I can see why people would like Suguha over Asuna though. Both of their interactions with Kirito were always treated honestly.
Apr 6, 2013 8:26 AM

Sep 2011
She is not that kind interesting character.
Apr 6, 2013 12:23 PM

Nov 2012
What are you talking about? I like her! She's like all the 4 deres in one neat package.
Apr 8, 2013 1:23 PM

Oct 2012
I like Asuna, she was a bit guarded at first but she's a good strong-willed character. So she has some good qualities, most people didn't have the privilege of seeing them in game anyway. Sachi was a fun character and I'll admit I was pretty upset during that Christmas message, but people have quoted the LN in here already, they weren't lovers. They cared about each other, and she helped Kirito become a better person. Basically, she put him in a better state of mind to deal with a real relationship with Asuna.

I also like to think that Kirito said something to Sachi in that last ep, something like "We made it Sachi."
Apr 8, 2013 1:34 PM

Feb 2012
She's Otaku bait, nothing more. A shallow cunt who only purpose in the series is to be Kirito's walking fleshlight.
Apr 15, 2013 6:54 PM

Apr 2013
Nyanks said:
I like Asuna, she was a bit guarded at first but she's a good strong-willed character. So she has some good qualities, most people didn't have the privilege of seeing them in game anyway. Sachi was a fun character and I'll admit I was pretty upset during that Christmas message, but people have quoted the LN in here already, they weren't lovers. They cared about each other, and she helped Kirito become a better person. Basically, she put him in a better state of mind to deal with a real relationship with Asuna.

I pretty much agree with you, Nyanks. In my opinion, Asuna was a fantastic character... up until the Alfheim Online arc. But every character suffered in that arc, not just Asuna. I almost like to pretend the series ended after the Sword Art Online arc. It's unfortunate that we can't exclude it from the series since it's canon, however.

If I could count out the Alfheim portion of SAO, Asuna easily makes one of my top favorite female heroines.

Edited: For grammar.
FragmentaryApr 15, 2013 7:04 PM
Apr 16, 2013 2:14 AM

Nov 2012
She's bland. Needs more spice and herbs.
Apr 17, 2013 7:13 AM

Nov 2008
I like her a lot. It's so refreshing how honest she is with Kirito and how much she trusts him. I think more anime girls should be like her. And I do think she was very strong, concerning her situation. Some people hate that she said she'd kill herself if Kirito died...but I think she was only saying that to motivate him.

Apr 17, 2013 6:52 PM
Oct 2012
Chiibi said:
I like her a lot. It's so refreshing how honest she is with Kirito and how much she trusts him. I think more anime girls should be like her. And I do think she was very strong, concerning her situation. Some people hate that she said she'd kill herself if Kirito died...but I think she was only saying that to motivate him.

People really hated that this didn't turn into a true harem, so they direct their criticism towards Asuna. As for her killing herself, no I think she meant it. Remember, they are trapped in a game with no real hope of escaping, she pretty much hates everything about the game, so if the one good thing about the world for her was to disappear, I can hardly blame her for wanting to end it.

Plus, don't forget she knows exactly what is happening to their bodies in reality. This was how she got Kirito to return to the battle. She knows it is only a question of time before their bodies actually die, so what again does she have to hope for?

Given the circumstances she is in this doesn't make her weak, it makes her reasonable. It is a form of rebellion, not cowardice.
Apr 18, 2013 5:02 PM

Apr 2013
Chiibi said:
I like her a lot. It's so refreshing how honest she is with Kirito and how much she trusts him.

Definitely this. She had realistic fears and concerns, yet she was able to handle herself. She had proven her strength multiple times in battle and she had earned respect for it. She wasn't the damsel in the distress that Kirito had to protect (at least, not in the SAO story arc), and instead she acted as support and strengthened Kirito through her words and actions.

Again, one of my favorite female characters to date. If only Alfheim didn't happen...
Apr 18, 2013 5:04 PM

Aug 2012
Because she's a typical kitchen wife, duh.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 23, 2013 7:15 PM

Nov 2008
Ghostony said:
Because she's a typical kitchen wife, duh.

If that were true, she would not have a badass sword and she would let the GUYS do all the fighting.

But she does not.

Takuan_Soho said:
Given the circumstances she is in this doesn't make her weak, it makes her reasonable. It is a form of rebellion, not cowardice.

That's a very valid point. Yes, I agree.

Fragmentary said:
If only Alfheim didn't happen...

I think people are too harsh on her with this. It's not like she had ANY control of the situation...so it' more of a writer's problem than a character problem, imho.

Apr 23, 2013 9:45 PM

Apr 2013
Chiibi said:
Fragmentary said:
If only Alfheim didn't happen...

I think people are too harsh on her with this. It's not like she had ANY control of the situation...so it' more of a writer's problem than a character problem, imho.

Oh, I know it's entirely the writers fault, and it doesn't change how I feel about her as a character, but it's still sad that Alfheim ruined that entire vibe she had going for herself. Poor decision on the writer's end, in my opinion.
Apr 23, 2013 10:07 PM

Nov 2008
Very much so, yes.

I'm reading the novels but I'm not at the Alfheim arc yet. I hear the written version is better though...so we shall see.

May 7, 2013 5:32 PM

Jan 2012
She's just a forgettable character to me. Not thing special and nothing bad about her.

I don't understand why people hate her so much that they want to kill her though.

Oh and Yui >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suguha

and it's not even close.... (no pedo)
May 8, 2013 3:04 PM

Aug 2010
Easiest and shortest answer I can come up with:

She has only shown virtues and show no flaws, is the only one along with the main character that matter in the story and is loved by all (In the story that is).

In other words, boring, predictable and annoying. Also a general Otaku bait when you look at all the SAO merchandise.
Jul 8, 2013 7:29 AM

Jun 2013
I like her because as far as I'm concerned the second half of this series never happened. They all woke up, faeries don't exist, this series did not degenerate into fetish-land.

DO NOT RUIN MY DREAM
Feb 4, 2014 8:21 PM
Jan 2013
I don't know. But i thank Asuna was the best for kirito she is strong and her love for him is infinite. And as for kirito his love for her is infinite as well he was willing to risk his life for her in arc 2 to save her and have her come back even at the end when he was almost stabbed he found the strength to get up and fight him off and remember he was laying in bed for 2 years so he actually would be weaker then him but he still won the fight. so what if they add another girl to GGO it will always be asuna & kirito forever so bring on the new girl it may throw a few wrenches in there relationship but at the end of the day he will choose Asuna over any girl. one more thing they even got married in SAO and you cant forget yui. this is my person opinion i actually dont know what is going to happen in the third arc but i believe there relationship will even grow stronger.
Feb 5, 2014 2:13 AM
Nov 2010
How convenient that they love each other to infinity and beyond. Because you know, there's never really any risk of them having conflict or something, as they are perfect themselves and by definition will not set a foot wrong. How very convenient, and terribly predictable and boring.
Feb 6, 2014 10:31 AM
Feb 2014
In the first story arc I absolutely loved Asuna. The second one, not as much. She and Kirito make a good couple, at least imo.
Feb 23, 2014 4:06 PM
Dec 2013
SchmidytheMini said:
Soooo I'm getting the feeling no one is an Asuna fan really lol

I'm a fan of her. Though I can see why other people dislike her.
Feb 28, 2014 9:21 AM

Dec 2013
I personally liked Asuna, but really hated the incest part probably because Kirito was already with Asuna and/or it felt too rushed like making it into an even bigger harem. Either one of them or the fucking fairy arch was so shitty and with that I mean the fucking game sucked so hard.
Mar 12, 2014 12:37 AM

Mar 2014
Not sure why people are hell-bent on the concept that a character has to be a bad-ass hero to be likeable. I think Asuna is an awesome character with personality. She has more confidence than Kirito, and he relies on her just as much as she relies on him.

While she was put in a very vulnerable position in the 2nd arc, I don't agree that Asuna as a character became weaker. She made the best out of the situation and almost managed to escape, which a character like, say, Silica would not have done.
KeizoAttacksMar 12, 2014 12:56 AM
Apr 1, 2015 3:11 PM
Apr 2015
Asuna's character got a little weak in sao2, but I still really like her. The rest of the girls can't really do anything or act on their feelings though, so Asuna's still the main love interest. This is mainly because some of the other characters have flaws and Kirito, no matter what, will probably always stick with Asuna, so yea.

The problems with the 2 of the other girls are listed:
-Sillica is seen as more of a sister
-Suguh is his COUSIN and was raised as his SISTER, so it's hard for him to even accept that she loves her and sort of passes it off.

The other problem with the rest of them making a move with him is unless Asuna dumps Kirito, they won't have the confidence to tell him because they respect Asuna's and Kirito's relationship (well he already knows about Suguh and didn't do jack about it so ye) . Also, Kirito seems to blind to their affection, because he literally pays no heed to it.

So, even if Asuna has gotten a little dull, she still wins
HIIIIIIII123456Apr 1, 2015 3:25 PM
Apr 16, 2015 4:05 PM
May 2014
Because she is a mary sue
Apr 16, 2015 9:03 PM
Mar 2015
Dude, either people dislike her, or are screaming all over her. Just look it up. There are probably hundreds of Asuna fanclubs...
Jul 16, 2016 1:20 PM
Nov 2015
Honestly, I don't understand how people like her so much. She's nice I guess, but I don't really see her appeal. The creators made her too "perfect" in SAO, for someone to be completely new to video games and yet be one of the strongest players with no experience is extremely unrealistic.
Jul 23, 2016 12:01 AM
May 2016
Because she's ugly-evil-mean-tsundere-rich-chan... or at least thats why i hate her. I love kirito and whenever she goes tsundere it makes me SO mad! I mean, would you like to be punched in the face THAT hard?!
Jul 23, 2016 12:14 AM
Jan 2015
They were expecting more from her as a character and disliked how tsundere she was early in the series.

Personally, I like her and think she's a decent character. Its just that the author of the series didn't handle her very well most of the time.
My Queens

Aug 4, 2016 5:39 AM

Aug 2012
I think is because she is a bit unrealistic. But my actual problem is her sword. her sword is useless. A rapier would work great on PvP but for any other fight... useless. Completely useless.
Jan 6, 2021 1:29 AM
Oct 2020
nightcrawlercyp said:
I think is because she is a bit unrealistic. But my actual problem is her sword. her sword is useless. A rapier would work great on PvP but for any other fight... useless. Completely useless.
Never played Dark Souls 2 have you?
Jan 6, 2021 2:06 AM
Oct 2020
ShinoAsada said:
-SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS COMMENT! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHO HAS NOT APPEARED IN THE ANIME YET. READ THE WHOLE ENTIRE POST BEFORE JUDGING ME! I DID NOT INCLUDE YUI AS A HEROINE BECAUSE SHE IS NOT A LOVE INTEREST. NOW PROCEED TO READ!-
Lets be honest here... Asuna is "loved" by fans all over the world because of these reasons: She's a "waifu", strong, pretty, and loving. Well, here's the thing, there are like what? Seven other heroines in SAO's entire anime, manga and light novel universe. From my knowledge from the light novel series, I could deduct that ALL 8 heroines (Including Asuna and Yuuki) are pretty. Sure, Silica is a loli. However, you can't really say she isn't pretty in some way or another. Here's another analysis. There are TWO other girls that can actually cook. Shino, was stated to have been living by herself. She was also said to be buying groceries for making dinner. Even though it was kind of vague and most of the time she didn't cook, she was implied to have cooked in the past. Suguha is the other heroine that could cook. We know from the anime that she has cooked (Note- Episode 22). She also cooks meals with Kirito since their mother works to really late. Now there are now THREE more heroines that can be a, some of you may call, a "waifu" and loving. Sachi, who is dead, was acting loving and caring like a wife would. She loved Kirito and vice versa. Sachi slept together with Kirito before Asuna did and also shared inventory with him. Even though they were not like a married couple, they still shared it. Sachi cared about Kirito's well-being. She left a message crystal for Kirito, which he received during Christmas Eve. The message told him to not blame himself for her death and to continue living on. Now another heroine, Suguha is also of "waifu" and loving potential. She can cook and cares a lot about Kirito. She lived with Kirito for like 16 years? She may have began having those feelings for him since an early stage. She also took up the burden of kendo because Kirito had decided to quit, even though she grew to love it. She also cared when Kirito was going all crazy trying to save Asuna. She didn't want Kirito to go all reckless and do something crazy again due to the SAO incident. Shino is the final heroine that is of "waifu" and loving potential. She's like a "waifu" because she can cook like one and cared a lot about Kirito. She loved Kirito so much as to reveal her deepest and darkest secret. She also was worried about him during the events of Alicization. She also cared about Kirito as to use an arrow to obtain Excaliber ONLY for Kirito. Asuna may be able to cook in SAO and ALO. However, it wasn't really revealed about her true potential in cooking in the real world. Her "waifu" like characteristics would just be caring for Kirito and relying on him like a wife should do. Though, she does rely a bit TOO much on Kirito. She constantly calls for Kirito when she could have done things herself. Now about being strong, in a way, all the heroines are strong. Silica risked her life to try to revive Pina, even though she received help from Kirito. Lisbeth may be strong since she acquired Thor's hammer, Mjölnir. It could have increased her strength as a player in ALO. Asuna is strong because she's fast as a rapier user. Suguha is strong as to be able to beat Kirito and got acknowledgement that she would win against Asuna, by Asuna herself. She's also strong for being able to hold in her feelings and looking forward to the future. Yuuki is strong because even though she has AIDS, she continued to live on and lived longer than the doctors had expected. She also has won 67 consecutive duels, including against Kirito and was about to beat Asuna. Sachi is strong because she didn't want to participate in the death game and even thought of death. However, she gained resolve from Kirito's words and continued to fight up until her death. Shino may be the strongest character in SAO's universe in terms of mentality. She killed someone in order to protect her beloved one. Even though she did commit murder out of self defense, she ignored all the comments people used to call her and lived on. In GGO, she was able to win the BoB tournament, alongside Kirito and came in 2nd in the 4th one. She was also able to hold off the against the two giants while the team was recovering from a cool down.
Now as to why people not liking Asuna, I think I pretty much answered it in the post. Even though she was listed for having all those characteristics, other heroines also have the same thing. She's not the only girl with those characteristics. She also has the least character development during the entire novel series. Shino got out of her fear of guns and was able to overcome her past. Sachi influenced Kirito to live on and was able to become brave enough to fight monsters. Suguha was able to get over her love for her brother then moved onto his online character. Even though she learned of the truth, she still continued fighting on and wouldn't give up. Even during Asuna's shining star moment during her own novel, Konno Yuuki overshadowed her and was even more loved than Asuna was. I don't hate Asuna, but you got to admit. There are other heroines MUCH MUCH better than she is and she's not really much of a developed character.

Ok I know this is like 9 years late, but I have to I'm afraid.

Yes we know that Sugu and Sinon can cook. Mate even I can cook. It's a matter of whether they're good at it. Asuna has proven to be a GREAT cook, not just a normal cook. Even irl, if you've forgotten, she usually brought Kirito lunch during school.

Sachi, sure cared for Kirito but she wasn't strong enough for him. I think you've forgotten why Kirito fell for Asuna, and not Sachi. And that's because Asuna promised to protect him and not be a liability. When did Asuna rely too much on Kirito? The only time I can think of is Fairy Dance and even then she saved herself. But big deal, literally all of them have had to rely on Kirito. Sinon was practically frozen when confronted by Death Gun. Difference is, unlike other women, Kirito relies as much on Asuna as he does on her.

I really like Silica, but she's not strong. She wanted to be, which is commendable, but she was definitely a liability when she was with Kirito. Liz didn't have Mjolnir bruv, what are you saying? Klien got Mjolnir lol, not her.

I do not remember Asuna ever admitting that she'd lose to Suguha, but if you're power scaling, Suguha did admit that Kirito was a better swordsman, and Kirito admitted that there were three people stronger than him, Asuna, Yuuki and Eugeo.

I agree that Sinon is very strong, but mentality wise,I think Asuna's stronger. I mean look at what she went through in Alicization.

Now as to character development, dude, Asuna has pretty much the most development in the series. Sinon and Leafa's arcs end after their season (And I don't know what you mean by "continued to fight on" with Suguha. Fight for what exactly?). With Asuna tho, she got development in Aincrad, Mother's Rosario, Ordinal Scale as well as Alicization.
In Aincrad she was a lost person. I think she summed it up beautifully in the monologue in episode 13. She used to cry herself to sleep every day and had nightmares. Devoted herself to clear the game. But when she saw Kirito enjoying life in Aincrad, she realized that she wasn't losing a day in the real world, but gaining a day in Aincrad. She found reason to live in Kirito, and in return gave HIM reason to live as well. She wasn't overshadowed in Mother's Rosario. Yuuki and her were co main characters. They made each other look better. Yuuki inspired her to show why Asuna loved Kirito and the virtual world, and she did. She regained her confidence because of that. That's a lot of development right there.

I like all the SAO girls, but Asuna and Yuuki stick out the most. I can't look at Yuuki in any romantic capacity. She's too precious and I love her to bits. Asuna has pretty much all of those qualities at the same time,and being better in almost every aspect. She's stronger than any of them, is a better cook than any of them, had the most development, but most importantly, it's the relationship with Kirito and Yuuki that makes her the best imo. Both of them are incomplete without Asuna and you could say the same for her.
She's pretty, fierce, strong, loving, and will stay with her loved one even if it means being trapped in a world for over 1000 years. That's why she's the best.
Jan 6, 2021 2:10 AM
Oct 2020
A lot of them are probably because they misunderstood their character. Because otherwise I don't really see a reason to dislike her. Ofcourse after that it's just preferences in the end.
Jan 6, 2021 3:17 AM

Aug 2012
skatlads15 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

I actually did. extremely frustrating due to the save mechanics. If you missed what I was saying I was speaking about real life rapiers.
Jan 6, 2021 3:49 AM
Jun 2020
This is quite the old thread, isn't it? But who doesn't like Asuna? She's the best girl in SAO. She's also stronger than Sinon.
Jan 6, 2021 3:53 AM
Oct 2020
nightcrawlercyp said:
skatlads15 said:

I actually did. extremely frustrating due to the save mechanics. If you missed what I was saying I was speaking about real life rapiers.

Frustrating save mechanics? Dude it saves if you quit the game lol.
And what do you mean about irl Rapiers? They're very useful as well. Ofcourse not against monsters irl, but there are no monsters irl to begin with lol
Jan 6, 2021 9:44 AM

Aug 2012
skatlads15 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

And what do you mean about irl Rapiers? They're very useful as well. Ofcourse not against monsters irl, but there are no monsters irl to begin with lol

Rapiers are only useful in 1 on 1 duels. Especially on duels that are until first blood as opposed to those until death. In duels to the death and in war like combat situation they are completely useless. I would rather have a cutlass or a messer and a shield. Again I am not saying they are useful or not against monsters (they are not) but against humans. Rapiers are more like a small spear than a sword and while they can inflict some damage by cutting they are specialized on thrusting . They were rarely used in actual combat only in duels and in the rare occasion someone used them in anything except a duel they got murdered. They are a crappy weapon but for gentlemen civilian duels till first blood they are the best and can be easily concealed in a walking stick for instance .
PS: depending how you define monsters there are monsters in real life. Monsters are extremely powerful and dangerous animals. Before fire weapons plenty animals could be viewed as monsters.
Jan 6, 2021 9:54 AM
Oct 2020
ShinoAsada said:
Nidhoeggr said:

If a single second of thinking is enough to come up with severe plotholes then I have problems accepting the "beauty" of this series at least on the writing side. Sadly, this isn't the case for a lot of people here so someone has to focus their attention on it. And given the fact that MAL is for rating and comparing series I don't see any reason against this practice. Actually, it should be encouraged.

Too bad the "strong and smart" aspects are thrown out of the window, thereby destroying your argument of a well-written character.

Don't forget the "well written" aspects thrown out of the window since the Kirito joining KoB and Kuradeel tries to kill him incident.

What do you mean thrown out the window? She's still strong AND smart. Did you not read Mother's Rosario or Alicization? Even after Kuradeel she fought alongside Kirito all of the time. Even in pissing Fairy Dance she used her smarts to escape, which is much more than what you can say about others. No offense, but Asuna has done MUCH MUCH more in the series than literally any other girl.
Jan 6, 2021 10:08 AM
Oct 2020
nightcrawlercyp said:
skatlads15 said:

Rapiers are only useful in 1 on 1 duels. Especially on duels that are until first blood as opposed to those until death. In duels to the death and in war like combat situation they are completely useless. I would rather have a cutlass or a messer and a shield. Again I am not saying they are useful or not against monsters (they are not) but against humans. Rapiers are more like a small spear than a sword and while they can inflict some damage by cutting they are specialized on thrusting . They were rarely used in actual combat only in duels and in the rare occasion someone used them in anything except a duel they got murdered. They are a crappy weapon but for gentlemen civilian duels till first blood they are the best and can be easily concealed in a walking stick for instance .
PS: depending how you define monsters there are monsters in real life. Monsters are extremely powerful and dangerous animals. Before fire weapons plenty animals could be viewed as monsters.

Nah, you've got this all wrong pal. Rapier or the finesword have always been quite useful. Even in mediaeval combat. As one Jon Snow said, you can poke holes in your opponent till death. They're really good at targetting weak spots and they're Faster than a spear. Pretty much the quickest weapon alongside daggers and especially great for continuous attacks. Heck you can even parry with them!
Even in games, Rapiers are OP. I mentioned Dark Souls 2 before. And that's because rapiers are ridiculously useful in that game. Seriously, I've beaten the hardest boss in that game (Fume Knight) with a rapier like 7 times and it's the preferred strategy.

No offence but it just seems you don't actually know the usefulness of a finesword.
Jan 6, 2021 10:17 AM
Oct 2020
Nidhoeggr said:
Fardale said:

Unless they're reality escape #1 and anime lover #2 PRIORITIES MAN! PRIORITIES! why over analyse the beauty that is SAO? :(

PoisonedTea said:
Strong and Smart.

Nidhoeggr said:
Fardale said:

PoisonedTea said:
Strong and Smart.

Completely ignoring the fact that strength isn't just physical but mental as well (which Asuna showed tons of in captivity) and used her smartness to escape the Cage and grab the keycard.
Jan 6, 2021 10:55 AM

Aug 2012
skatlads15 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Nah, you've got this all wrong pal. Rapier or the finesword have always been quite useful. Even in mediaeval combat. As one Jon Snow said, you can poke holes in your opponent till death. They're really good at targetting weak spots and they're Faster than a spear. Pretty much the quickest weapon alongside daggers and especially great for continuous attacks. Heck you can even parry with them!
Even in games, Rapiers are OP. I mentioned Dark Souls 2 before. And that's because rapiers are ridiculously useful in that game. Seriously, I've beaten the hardest boss in that game (Fume Knight) with a rapier like 7 times and it's the preferred strategy.

No offence but it just seems you don't actually know the usefulness of a finesword.

1. Jon Snow is not real. His opinion does not matter at all
2. spears are way better at poking holes. Also there is something called half swording which can be used with long swords and others
3. poking holes is good and nice but unless you hit a main artery or some vital organs it does not do much damage. More than that your opponent will not sit still for you to poke holes into it and by the time you poke a hole he sliced your arm. More than that a straight sword , especially a rapier can easily be stuck in someone and by the time you remove it someone else will cut you. Again we are not talking one on one
4. let's say you poke a hole in someone. he can easily grab your rapier with a hand while inside him and with the other hand kill you.
5. daggers can be great depending on the circumstance and in attacking armored opponent's weak spots are very good. Basically spears for long range combat and daggers for close combat.
6. The rapier was designed and was used mostly by civilians. There were cases when spaniards or the french used rapiers in a war situation. Thing is they lost all those wars. By the time they killed a person with their rapiers their opponents disabled, maimed and killed 10 with axes, long sword maces and others
7. A sword was generally not considered a primary sword in war time by most nations. Generally pole arms were considered primary , axes and maces as secondary and the sword was considered tertiary. That being said there were cases when the sword was considered a primary weapon: by roman soldiers the gladius and later the spatha used behing huge shield, by cavalry the long sabre, by the turks the yatagan and there are other examples, but in war pole arms are king.
8. Again I am talking about history you talk about games. I am talking about physics and real life mechanics you talk a game were a sword like this: https://erick6.artstation.com/projects/6aYEBO can be considered functional.
9. I heard someone bet DS with a spoon and no armor . In a game if you have skill this can be done. In real life not really. I am not that skilled but is not the point.
10. About fume knight he is extremely poorly designed. Not sure where this whole thing with dual wielding started but is crap. The "sword" from his left is nothing more than a mallet and he uses it like this. More than that he uses really ample moves and as a result there is a lot of time in which you can counter provided you are at the correct distance. His right hand sword can be considered a sword but he cannot really use it properly because of the monstrosity in his other hand. Replacing his left hand sword with a shield or having him wield a two hand sword or even a 3 hand sword would make him a difficult opponent. As is he is just dumb and the only difficulty comes from the huge damage if it hits you.
Jan 6, 2021 11:19 AM
Oct 2020
nightcrawlercyp said:
skatlads15 said:

2. spears are way better at poking holes. Also there is something called half swording which can be used with long swords and others
3. poking holes is good and nice but unless you hit a main artery or some vital organs it does not do much damage. More than that your opponent will not sit still for you to poke holes into it and by the time you poke a hole he sliced your arm. More than that a straight sword , especially a rapier can easily be stuck in someone and by the time you remove it someone else will cut you. Again we are not talking one on one
4. let's say you poke a hole in someone. he can easily grab your rapier with a hand while inside him and with the other hand kill you.
5. daggers can be great depending on the circumstance and in attacking armored opponent's weak spots are very good. Basically spears for long range combat and daggers for close combat.
6. The rapier was designed and was used mostly by civilians. There were cases when spaniards or the french used rapiers in a war situation. Thing is they lost all those wars. By the time they killed a person with their rapiers their opponents disabled, maimed and killed 10 with axes, long sword maces and others
7. A sword was generally not considered a primary sword in war time by most nations. Generally pole arms were considered primary , axes and maces as secondary and the sword was considered tertiary. That being said there were cases when the sword was considered a primary weapon: by roman soldiers the gladius and later the spatha used behing huge shield, by cavalry the long sabre, by the turks the yatagan and there are other examples, but in war pole arms are king.
8. Again I am talking about history you talk about games. I am talking about physics and real life mechanics you talk a game were a sword like this: https://erick6.artstation.com/projects/6aYEBO can be considered functional.
9. I heard someone bet DS with a spoon and no armor . In a game if you have skill this can be done. In real life not really. I am not that skilled but is not the point.
10. About fume knight he is extremely poorly designed. Not sure where this whole thing with dual wielding started but is crap. The "sword" from his left is nothing more than a mallet and he uses it like this. More than that he uses really ample moves and as a result there is a lot of time in which you can counter provided you are at the correct distance. His right hand sword can be considered a sword but he cannot really use it properly because of the monstrosity in his other hand. Replacing his left hand sword with a shield or having him wield a two hand sword or even a 3 hand sword would make him a difficult opponent. As is he is just dumb and the only difficulty comes from the huge damage if it hits you.

1. Fair point.
2. True,but I'd say Rapiers are lighter and more agile.
3. Well we're considering the user to be incredibly agile and skilled. He should be able to parry and dodge such hits. Ofcourse wouldn't work against multiple opponents, but come on, what does work against multiple opponents irl other than a gun? Lol. And i don't see a rapier being stuck if the user is skilled enough.
4. And you assume the user will just let him do all that? I mean, I'm pretty sure rapier users are very agile.
5. True, but rapier kind of works for both long and short range imo.
6. Ok I don't really know about all that but I'll take your word for it. But I'd say that a skilled user would be much more efficient.
7. Interesting.
8. Well fair play. I will admit, my knowledge of European history isn't much. Still can talk about games tho.
9. I don't think there's a spoon in DS. But yes, I've beaten DS with no Armor. Not just one, but all of them lol.
10. Question, have you ever actually fought Fume Knight? Because as per the mechanics of DS2, it makes him top 10 hardest bosses of the entire SERIES. Bruh, he slashes with his left as well. Does a HUGE swing and thanks to DS2's methodic pace, it's not easy to roll from. The right sword is very quick for DS2, and he can strike from out of nowhere. Why would he need a shield? Dude his left sword doubles as a shield, and negates all damage! He can also heal if you haven't taken out the totems nearby. And that's just phase 1, btw. In phase 2, he combines both swords, 2 hands it, lights it up with dark energy and goes ballistic. From there on its combos, AOEs and monstrous damage. He's not just all damage, the skill required is tremendous. He's considered the hardest boss of DS2 and top 10 hardest of DS bosses for a reason.
Jan 6, 2021 12:30 PM

Aug 2012
skatlads15 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

1. Fair point.
3. Well we're considering the user to be incredibly agile and skilled. He should be able to parry and dodge such hits. Ofcourse wouldn't work against multiple opponents, but come on, what does work against multiple opponents irl other than a gun? Lol. And i don't see a rapier being stuck if the user is skilled enough.
4. And you assume the user will just let him do all that? I mean, I'm pretty sure rapier users are very agile.
6. Ok I don't really know about all that but I'll take your word for it. But I'd say that a skilled user would be much more efficient.
7. Interesting.
8. Well fair play. I will admit, my knowledge of European history isn't much. Still can talk about games tho.
9. I don't think there's a spoon in DS. But yes, I've beaten DS with no Armor. Not just one, but all of them lol.
10. Question, have you ever actually fought Fume Knight? Because as per the mechanics of DS2, it makes him top 10 hardest bosses of the entire SERIES. Bruh, he slashes with his left as well. Does a HUGE swing and thanks to DS2's methodic pace, it's not easy to roll from. The right sword is very quick for DS2, and he can strike from out of nowhere. Why would he need a shield? Dude his left sword doubles as a shield, and negates all damage! He can also heal if you haven't taken out the totems nearby. And that's just phase 1, btw. In phase 2, he combines both swords, 2 hands it, lights it up with dark energy and goes ballistic. From there on its combos, AOEs and monstrous damage. He's not just all damage, the skill required is tremendous. He's considered the hardest boss of DS2 and top 10 hardest of DS bosses for a reason.

3. sabres due to the fluidity of motions, pole arms axes, maces. You asked what works, I answered.
4. being agile has nothing to do with it. use a pointy stick and poke something, then draw it back. It takes a lot of time and is cumbersome regardless how agile you are. You arm works better in arcs of circle.
5. no it actually does not.
6. you do not need to take my word search historical records.
8. games do not have to follow real life mechanics.
10. No I just watched multiple gaeplay videos and is an extremely bad design. Yes he slashes with his right but the movement is not fluid enough the arcs not as large, etc. Never said he needs a shield, I said it would be way better than a club. This something I see extremely often in movies and games: no shields or helmets. In history the first defensive gear you would buy would be a shield and second will be a helmet. A shield is dirt cheap to make so you do not even need to buy it. And this is true for virtually al cultures. Even african tribes used shields and helmets. There is a huge difference between a sword and shield, Using a sword as a shield is extremely inefficient. That is because you put a lot of stress on your wrists and more than that it does not cover a lot of space. About phase 2 is slightly more realistic, but he uses that long sword as a club .
10. Maybe you should watch some videos on swords and hema.
Jan 6, 2021 9:55 PM
Oct 2020
nightcrawlercyp said:
skatlads15 said:

1. Fair point.
7. Interesting.

3. sabres due to the fluidity of motions, pole arms axes, maces. You asked what works, I answered.
4. being agile has nothing to do with it. use a pointy stick and poke something, then draw it back. It takes a lot of time and is cumbersome regardless how agile you are. You arm works better in arcs of circle.
5. no it actually does not.
6. you do not need to take my word search historical records.
8. games do not have to follow real life mechanics.
10. No I just watched multiple gaeplay videos and is an extremely bad design. Yes he slashes with his right but the movement is not fluid enough the arcs not as large, etc. Never said he needs a shield, I said it would be way better than a club. This something I see extremely often in movies and games: no shields or helmets. In history the first defensive gear you would buy would be a shield and second will be a helmet. A shield is dirt cheap to make so you do not even need to buy it. And this is true for virtually al cultures. Even african tribes used shields and helmets. There is a huge difference between a sword and shield, Using a sword as a shield is extremely inefficient. That is because you put a lot of stress on your wrists and more than that it does not cover a lot of space. About phase 2 is slightly more realistic, but he uses that long sword as a club .
10. Maybe you should watch some videos on swords and hema.

3. For reals? Like of 10 people are ganging up on you, that's gonna work?
4. Yes it does, that makes it so that you can pull it back quicker. Ever seen a Ricard's rapier that does like 5 thrusts in a second? That kind of stuff.
5. How not? It's a good mid range weapon since it has good reach and can be used for short range as well.
6. Will do
8. Yup
10.See that's the thing, it looks easier when you see the gameplay video, but trust me, in practice it is hard AS FUCK. Gameplay videos don't account for skill, or input delay. Anyway, have you seen fume's sword? That shit tanks for days. It's essentially a greatshield. I beleive he had a shield, but he threw it away (lore purposes).
And no he doesn't use it as a club. He does mas slash wombo combos, and he can kill you with one hit if you aren't careful. There's only one smash attack, and he doesn't do it often. He uses it like a proper Ultra Greatsword.
No offense, but your opinion on Fumey is invalid until you actually beat him. Because it's impossible to measure him just by looking at gameplay. Like I said, there is a reason DS fans regard him as one of the best and hardest in the series.

And sure,I'll look into Hema.
Jan 6, 2021 10:19 PM
Feb 2017
Because she's kinda bland. Yep....
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

492 by ItsXolo »»
Sep 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Aug 25, 2012

535 by AliQasim22 »»
Sep 13, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

951 by Rexnihilo »»
Sep 7, 11:16 AM

» Can someone explain?

infinite_Shadows - Jun 3

23 by Swyzen »»
Aug 30, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

166 by Zarutaku »»
Aug 24, 12:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.