Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2008 1:11 PM

May 2008
ukonkivi said:
AnimusNathan said:
It's the way of a man's soul!

I really hate it when people talk about bullshit like "a man's soul".
In fact this sort of talk is why I'm starting to develop a grudge against Gurren Lagann.
I really don't want to hate Gurren Lagann. I enjoyed watching it. But if this keeps up, I'm going to change my rating from an 8 to a 1.

I know what you mean by that... When I read comments like that, I always think "Well, its not the way of my soul..."

In fact I dont think thats even what TTGL is about, but it doesnt matter because I still think it was an amazing series. Please dont let these comments ruin it for you ukonkivi!
Dec 24, 2008 1:20 PM

Aug 2008
it was a decent anime, giving it an 8, though i really didn't care for the ending at all, Shimon just walking away and turning into some vagrant? gah. i'm sure it was meant to symbolize a few things but i just found it lame. still it was overall quite good if not as fantastic as some make it out to be
Dec 25, 2008 9:16 AM

Apr 2008
Finally finished this last night. ;_; So much love for this series from me...
Dec 27, 2008 6:16 AM

Aug 2008
The FINAL EPISODE ROCKED BABYYYY
Dec 31, 2008 6:57 PM

Dec 2008
The adjective "epic" is, of course, thrown around alot, often in situations where it is not really accurate.

But I think this philosophical, romantic, action, sci-fi, adventure, tragedy, drama, comedy mecha conglomeration, cosmically transcending genre with a glorious, self-ironic cheesiness certainly merits its correct and proper use. Obviously, the series has many flaws, as others have pointed out earlier, but no one can dispute that it truly was epic in every sense of the word.

I'm not really anime-literate enough to comment knowledgeably on the ending in relation to others in the genre (if Gurren Laggen can be pigeon-holed into a genre, which it probably can't easily be), but bringing such a roller coaster to a halt in a satisfying way is necessarily difficult and I felt it was done in convincing and bittersweet fashion.

In short, as I don't know any better, I think it's reasonable to give out my first 10!

fedaykinDec 31, 2008 7:30 PM
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 31, 2008 8:20 PM

May 2008
Silverhammer said:
philosophical, romantic, action, sci-fi, adventure, tragedy, drama, comedy mecha conglomeration, cosmically transcending genre with a glorious, self-ironic cheesiness

Definition: Shounen. There's your genre :D
Jan 1, 2009 6:09 AM

Dec 2008
Well, fair enough I suppose. I would perhaps mention that the show is initially fairly heavily satirising Shounen anime with its presentation of Kamina (remember the huge phallic sword drawing against Viral in episode 3 for example? ^^) and general massively hyperbolic cheesiness.

So maybe we could go for "self-ironic Shounen" or something? And I think my ridiculous multi-barrelled, over the top description was perhaps quite appropriate for the ridiculously over-the-top Gurren Lagann. ^^

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 1, 2009 11:50 AM

May 2008
Silverhammer said:
Well, fair enough I suppose. I would perhaps mention that the show is initially fairly heavily satirising Shounen anime with its presentation of Kamina (remember the huge phallic sword drawing against Viral in episode 3 for example? ^^) and general massively hyperbolic cheesiness.

So maybe we could go for "self-ironic Shounen" or something? And I think my ridiculous multi-barrelled, over the top description was perhaps quite appropriate for the ridiculously over-the-top Gurren Lagann. ^^

Yes it definitely was, lol. Typical shounens are more subtle about almost every element of TTGL you mentioned, so I think it deserves multiple genres. I would say its almost not a mecha because its so different from every other mecha in terms of the mood it sets. I usually don't like mechas, but TTGL was so unique that I had to like it.
Jan 1, 2009 12:58 PM

Mar 2008
"Super Robot show" is the word you guys are looking for, I think.
Jan 5, 2009 3:57 PM

Dec 2007
omg this was a great series
Jan 6, 2009 3:35 AM

Jun 2008
xxmachineshopxx said:
omg this was a great series

Truly a masterful and insightful analysis!
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 8, 2009 7:30 PM

Mar 2008
I honestly did not think that this anime would be as good as it was. I was literally blown away. Now I need to think long and hard about where or not this anime will make it into my 10 category...

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Jan 13, 2009 10:34 PM

Jun 2008
I'm still finding it difficult to word my opinion of this show. That last battle was an adrenaline rush. The whole thing was so clever, so exciting, so epic, it actually scares me a little. I guess I can just say that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is #1 for good reason.

As amazing as it was, it still has problems with it. This is, to some people, grounds for ruling out a score of 10. However, I think such a rating is on a different level than the rest. Perfect is an unrealistic score to give anything, but a 10 here can be awarded to any anime that really blows you away and leaves you speechless with awe at how incredibly enjoyable it was. As such, I will do something very rare and give this anime a score of 10 out of 10.

Now to let loose a little more...

HOOLLLYYYY SHITTT THAT WAS F***ING AWESOME! PURE ADRENALINE. Seriously, I could barely contain myself from being a little kid and cheering out loud at the EPIC AWESOMENESS that was on the screen before me. Even though I stayed up marathoning this, I'm not gonna be able to sleep for a while.
Jan 14, 2009 6:54 AM

May 2008
great ending!!! though a bit sad
Jan 16, 2009 2:48 PM

Aug 2008
Very Good! Excellent!!
Great End!!!!!!
Jan 21, 2009 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
totally awesomness! must say thats the greatest thing ive seen in a long time, my heart was pounding like crap all the time.
and what an happy/sad ending to it. it left me want to see more! but i guess that it did end made it that great of a show.
Jan 26, 2009 1:31 PM

Aug 2008
Wow. The ending f*ked me sideways. Why Nia? Why?

For a long time I didn't understand the "omg bestshow ewaa" mentality, but from somewhere around ep 8 the show slowly started to grow on me and ep by ep it became truly epic. But at the same time it was ridiculous (duh!), so i'm still not sure: was it actually a mecha-parody or just ended up like that?

I'll give it 9/10, and though #1 place might be a bit strong, at the end I understand why people love it.
Jan 26, 2009 6:02 PM

Jun 2008
Silverhammer said:
The adjective "epic" is, of course, thrown around alot, often in situations where it is not really accurate.

But I think this philosophical, romantic, action, sci-fi, adventure, tragedy, drama, comedy mecha conglomeration, cosmically transcending genre with a glorious, self-ironic cheesiness certainly merits its correct and proper use. Obviously, the series has many flaws, as others have pointed out earlier, but no one can dispute that it truly was epic in every sense of the word.

I'm not really anime-literate enough to comment knowledgeably on the ending in relation to others in the genre (if Gurren Laggen can be pigeon-holed into a genre, which it probably can't easily be), but bringing such a roller coaster to a halt in a satisfying way is necessarily difficult and I felt it was done in convincing and bittersweet fashion.

In short, as I don't know any better, I think it's reasonable to give out my first 10!

Your post was great, truly. Especially the second paragraph, about how it has everything. I could say, personally, that no shounen could have the mix with all those genres mixed in so well. Epic is the word. Epic will bring me back the days I watched TTGL.
Jan 28, 2009 2:19 PM
Jun 2007
Gurren-Lagann is the definition of pidgeon-holed. lol.

Jan 29, 2009 9:22 PM

Jul 2007
when i stopped watching this because of black order's "hiatus"(i really prefer not switching subbers mid-series) i was really surprised at how ttgl came up to the top in the mal rankings. now i know why.

even with the cliched dragonball like oh-shit-we're-gonna-lose-waitaminute-POWERUP!, it still was epic. the deaths of some of the characters(kamina dying in the first half of the series was really something) it still makes the end a good one. kudos to a great end.

only one complaint though....

NIA! D: D: D: D: D:

ok make it two.

NEEDS MORE TIME SKIP DARRY
Feb 2, 2009 12:59 PM

Jan 2009
YES! I finally, FINALLY finished this show! Took me a while, i know. But damn was it worth it! I'm not normally into mech shows, but Gurren Lagann isnt a normal mech show! I mean, they were tossing whole GALEXIES at each other like they were shuriken! (I like to call this the "UPGRADE" show, cause they started off with a small mech, and it just keeps getting bigger. When you think it couldnt get bigger, it gets bigger! I thought it was crazy when they got a Moon-sized one, but damn... I didnt expect that Tengen Toppa was gonna be the bigest!)

I freakin love this show, and I cant wait to see the movie that was out in japan last year!

Feb 6, 2009 5:13 AM

Apr 2008
WOW!! Really Great episode!! an awesome series!!
Simon still looks cool!!! even with his weird eye XD
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Mar 11, 2009 4:54 AM

Jan 2009
It's funny. Normally when I get to the ending of an anime, I'm usually sad because there is none left. But this anime is the only one that left such a good feeling that I can walk away satisfied. It left such an impression on me it completley changes the way I think.

From now on, I shall surpass the impossible and kick off with the momentum!
Mar 15, 2009 11:38 PM

Jul 2008
Am I the only one that did'nt like the fact that Yoko and Simon grew old all alone? Those 2 were ment to be together in the end. And what was up with not showing Yoko's full face at the end?
Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment
Mar 16, 2009 8:26 AM

Jul 2007
Holland_Kai said:
Am I the only one that did'nt like the fact that Yoko and Simon grew old all alone? Those 2 were ment to be together in the end. And what was up with not showing Yoko's full face at the end?
Mar 19, 2009 8:16 AM
Feb 2009
it was a epic anime all the way i really enjoyed it the only thing that i felt would have made it better if simon and yoko got together in the end so simon and yoko could be happy because they were by themselves in the end but besides that the overall 10/10 one of the best anime
Mar 22, 2009 11:25 AM

Dec 2008
This show had it all, comedy, drama, romance, action, explosions, explosions, explosions, explosions, explosions and ultra-scale mecha fights.
Now that i have seen this, iam asking myself why i havent watched it earlier...
Its just one great piece of art and especially the animation and design. Its good that it wasnt as much CG as in Code Geass!

The end was completly right but i still found it hard to take that Nia has to dissapear right after their marriage... this wasnt unexpected at all(for me, though). It was just too sad... Nia!!! <3

The 20yrs later preview was great too but i thought maybe Yoko and Simon come together, because its a contradiction... the show was all about mankind, their will to survive, the evolution, how spirit overcome obstacles and so on...
thats why the single Simon & Yoko was all wrong, because humans cant live on alone!
(my opinion, though)
Apr 2, 2009 9:54 PM
Mar 2009
Gainax has once again proven that they simply can't give fans a real happy ending. Nope. Impossible for them. It doesn't matter if the main character is the hero of the ENTIRE GODDAMN UNIVERSE. It doesn't matter if everything else looks like it is won and done and the world is right. They HAVE to throw a wrench in there just so you remember that life sucks and then you die.
Apr 3, 2009 12:33 AM

Jan 2008
Predseln said:
The 20yrs later preview was great too but i thought maybe Yoko and Simon come together, because its a contradiction... the show was all about mankind, their will to survive, the evolution, how spirit overcome obstacles and so on...
thats why the single Simon & Yoko was all wrong, because humans cant live on alone!
(my opinion, though)

Thats true and all but if they ended up together it would be like fucking their entire character development for 27 episodes in the ear. They ended up loving and fighting for two seperate people and once they lost them they couldnt give their hearts to anyone else.

Whats wrong with that? I think its the ultimate idea of romance to not 'get over' a deceased lover by being with someone else, but maybe thats just me. I mean if they ended up together it wouldnt be true love, just a prolonged rebound thing.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 8, 2009 3:24 AM

Dec 2008
well atleast iam not saying it must be Yoko and Simon, just that they would find someone else to love...

because, atm these two, well actually only simon... lost everything, his friends&comrades, his love, his rank&title, he was just demoted to a homeless forgotten hero... its like Lelouch from CG, sacrificed himself and everything he had for the sake of others, with nothing to gain or to end with.

its just so sad, i dont say its wrong and your totaly right that this is the ultimate idea of romance but its still a bit annoying for me. maybe because i couldnt be such a person...
Apr 8, 2009 3:35 AM

Jan 2008
I think we should applaud the anime for making you feel such conflicted emotions. I mean thats the entire purpose of the epilogue, to make you feel that way.

And guys, dont ever put Simon and Lelouch in the same sentence again, one is a character that has a consistent character arc, the other is just schizhophrenic mishmash of bullshit.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 8, 2009 9:33 AM

Mar 2008
Wow. After a complete re-watch I thought the ending was fantastic, and I could not want for any more. It is one, if not the only, anime I have seen which as ending in such a spectacular and wonderful ending which tied all things together and concluded the fantastic series. I loved it, even though I bawled my eyes out. ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2009 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
Just finished it.
To be honest i didn't even wanted to see Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann just sole for the reason of people bitching about how awesome this show was. In the end i did like it, sometimes i even tought "What the fuck is with all that overexcesive and adrenaline action?", that didn't change, TTGL had overexecesive action, its not that i liked is just that is just too much, anyway, I loved the concept of a man who grows up to changes the destiny of the world. That was indeed very cool, And to see as Simon grew thinking about Kamina as pillar was the reason why i liked it. He obviusly was in the end inspired in Kamina.

My favorite episode was the 17. When i saw he all grow up and changed, that was really an impact. The drill metaphor was also a good side point, im talking about the 'Will' of course.

Overall has been a fantastic show indeed. 10/10 for me. It was great.
MikiyoApr 12, 2009 6:20 AM

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 12, 2009 4:08 PM

Oct 2008
Definitely this series was a waste of time. I can't believe how it's in first place of mal ranking.

6/10
Apr 14, 2009 6:58 AM

Feb 2008
Happy said:
Yoko is a MILF.

That she is......that she is.
Apr 16, 2009 7:02 AM
Oct 2008
OMGEEE YOKO turned ugly,,, argh what a turn off, and simon's epicness was reduced to useless randomness ARGH and soko is still a virgin argh
Apr 20, 2009 3:07 PM
Jan 2009
Awesome! Possibly the best mecha anime of all time. Definitely in my top ten of masterpieces.
Apr 21, 2009 11:37 AM

Feb 2009
dmneyeskyo said:
Happy said:
Yoko is a MILF.

That she is......that she is.

QFT

Apr 26, 2009 1:09 AM

Jan 2009
Speechless...

Wow...this series lives up to the hype and 100x beyond. To think that I was hesistant to watch in the begining seems absurd and distant. I wish I could rate the series above a 10 but for now 10/10 and the most epic anime I have ever seen (and will probably ever see) goes to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

Apr 29, 2009 10:09 AM

Apr 2009
I think such ending was the best variant, why do some people only notice how old did Yoko become and wonder why didn't Simon become the master of the Universe? for me the main point was in the contrast between the prologue in the 1 ep and the epilogue in the last. 1ep: all the lights n the heavens are our enemies, we''ll destroy them. last ep: all these lights are the stars, where our friends wait for us. Isn't it beautiful?
Apr 29, 2009 1:22 PM
Oct 2008
10/10 This anime was one of the best animes out there. There was always something surprising in the story, you couldnt really predict what was going to happen next thats the epicness about it. If i could i would delete my memory about this anime and watch it again so i could get that feeling i got when i saw it for the first time.
Apr 29, 2009 2:16 PM

Jun 2008
Ms_Beast said:
I think such ending was the best variant, why do some people only notice how old did Yoko become and wonder why didn't Simon become the master of the Universe? for me the main point was in the contrast between the prologue in the 1 ep and the epilogue in the last. 1ep: all the lights n the heavens are our enemies, we''ll destroy them. last ep: all these lights are the stars, where our friends wait for us. Isn't it beautiful?
Oshiat. That is. Didn't notice, but thanks for the notice. Ah, manly cries of passion.
May 9, 2009 5:58 PM

May 2008
Epic.. This show was epic.
May 16, 2009 3:01 AM

Oct 2008
BUUUUUUMP
May 16, 2009 4:12 AM

Jan 2008
Dude, dont bump episode threads.
May 23, 2009 1:33 PM

Apr 2009
Really worth 10/10! But it did kinda suck that Nia died.

May 29, 2009 8:35 PM

May 2009
Vikopaulum said:
Really worth 10/10! But it did kinda suck that Nia died.

It was necessary.

I just finished it.
It was truly the most inspiring anything I've ever seen.
There is no greater anime, no movie or series or artwork of such caliber.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
It is beyond the heavens in my heart.

11/10. The Unicorn Rating.
Rake, (rakehell) - noun, def. perverted
May 29, 2009 10:33 PM

Jun 2008
So many manly tears were shed.

My first 10/10 anime.
(づ°‿°.)づ
May 30, 2009 1:02 AM

Mar 2009
Simon's 40 years old to die as a homeless =D
Jun 1, 2009 8:40 PM
Jun 2009
I love this series, and its epic conclusion.
My only gripe is that Yoko didn't end up with anyone in particular.
What a waste of hotness. But then again, this isn't a romance anime.
Pages (24) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 3, 2007

100 by OfficerTwigs »»
Jun 24, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.