Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 26, 2007 9:21 PM
Nov 2007
No. I don't think they're "noobs" for liking a certain manga/anime. Nor do I look down on them. They just have a different interests.
Nov 27, 2007 11:42 AM

Nov 2007
Tatsubei has killed a million men and double that of women for not liking One Piece. True story.

But as for the original topic, it doesn't bother me too much when their manga interests don't match mine. Honestly, among otaku, the only thing that REALLY bothers me are fangirls who don't give two damn about the quality of the anime and manga they watch or read, but instead obsess needlessly and endlessly about whatever long-haired prettyboy would look the hottest making out with some other long-haired pretty boy...Yoko Kurama or Sesshoumaru anyone? Ugh.

Sexism aside, fanboys are just as bad, but in recent years it's the female side that tends to be more vocal, as evidenced by the amount of piss-poor slash fanfiction and "KYAA KYAA KAWAII DESU" out there.

Ahhh, but I'm just being bitter.
Nov 27, 2007 1:18 PM

Apr 2007
ZoiQ said:
I call people who don't watch One piece n00b 8D

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2007 4:11 PM

Aug 2006
matching_pants said:
Tatsubei has killed a million men and double that of women for not liking One Piece. True story.

Well, see...

Most of the people I know that dislike the series either doesn't like the artwork and hasn't really watched enough to have a actually opinion on it, or thinks that another one of the popular Shonen Jump manga completely pwns it because just because they like it, without much reason.

But hey, "To each, their own..." XD
Nov 28, 2007 3:00 AM

Sep 2007
linnah-chan said:
As for the thread question, I think its the other way around.:p

Agreed..my mother and my friends just doesn't try to understand what it is I like about it. They just see cartoon = kids show...
Nov 28, 2007 6:26 AM
Apr 2007
Look down on others? Absolutely not. Each and every fan of manga/anime should be able to read/see anything that he or she likes. Just as long as that same feeling is returned as well.

I mean, giving recommendations to other people about which manga you THINK they'll like or if you THINK a certain genre will be interesting for them. But forcing your fanboy/girl-ism onto other people is not done.
Nov 29, 2007 1:47 AM

Nov 2007
I loved Dragonball Back in the day,still do a little,so no
Nov 29, 2007 11:43 AM

Jul 2007
well.. here's how I go.
I don't care what others watch XP whatever floats their boat lol
But I also watch whatever I want, and if somebody doesn't like that... well too bad XDD

But I would never look down on somebody cuz they watched a certain show... If I happen to not like it... well, oh well. If they're really obsessed, why should I ruin their happiness by making them feel like a n00b?
Nov 30, 2007 12:21 AM

Sep 2007
No, i dont look down on others. I read/watch what I want. Everyone else reads what THEY want. Just because someone read/watches something that you dont/might not like, what reason do WE have to judge them? XD
Fortunately i live in my own little world, people do what they like, as do i. =)

I claimed Kasumi (Misty) (by Vertago)

(made by AngelLily)
Nov 30, 2007 6:50 PM
Aug 2007
matching_pants said:
the only thing that REALLY bothers me are fangirls who don't give two damn about the quality of the anime and manga they watch or read, but instead obsess needlessly and endlessly about whatever long-haired prettyboy would look the hottest making out with some other long-haired pretty boy...Yoko Kurama or Sesshoumaru anyone? Ugh.

I happen to love some of the pretty long-haired types - mainly Kurama of Yu Yu Hakusho and Ayame Sohma of Fruits Basket. Why? 'Cos behind their pretty exteriors are interesting men who lead interesting lives and have hidden depths.

Take Kurama for example. Pretty boy, right? Also a master whip-handler and tactician. He's not considered one of the top demons in the Demon World for nothing. Whenever fangirls talk about Kurama, and only go on about how handsome he is, I gotta wonder if they ever read/watched the freaking show he's from.

IMHO, Kuwabara and Yusuke are waa~y hotter XD
Dec 1, 2007 12:29 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah ok, i judge people who i know. But in the sense of what they read or watch, i dont judge people. Though, i only know a few people who like anime.

I claimed Kasumi (Misty) (by Vertago)

(made by AngelLily)
Dec 1, 2007 8:09 AM

Aug 2006
the_seventh_l said:
matching_pants said:
I happen to love some of the pretty long-haired types - mainly Kurama of Yu Yu Hakusho and Ayame Sohma of Fruits Basket. Why? 'Cos behind their pretty exteriors are interesting men who lead interesting lives and have hidden depths.

Take Kurama for example. Pretty boy, right? Also a master whip-handler and tactician. He's not considered one of the top demons in the Demon World for nothing. Whenever fangirls talk about Kurama, and only go on about how handsome he is, I gotta wonder if they ever read/watched the freaking show he's from.

Then you are one of the female anime watchers that give me hope. lol

But don't get him wrong, just cuz he said that doesn't mean he doesn't like Kurama. We both think he's seriously a badass. :3
Dec 1, 2007 8:18 AM
Aug 2007
Yay! I inspire hope! :3

I ache to hear fangirls blast characters just because they don't live up to their aesthetic standards. Chad of Bleach, Kuwabara of Yu Yu Hakusho, Honda of Yu-Gi-Oh, Rock Lee of Naruto - they're some of my favorite characters from their respective series, and yet I seem to be in a small population of fangirls who do. :(
Dec 2, 2007 12:44 PM

Dec 2007
Do I call some people n00bs? Occasionally. Not with any real frequency and its certainly not meant with the intention of looking down on someone. When it comes to anime after all my tastes seem to skew towards shonen/action type series, and I avoid needlessly angsty works that some people would call "intelligent". For that reason, people might look down on ME (I don't advise it though; I'm still prolly smarter than you ;) ), so it'd be hypocritical of me to look down on others.

Watch what you want to watch, and I hope people will allow me that same privilege.

BTW - That sig is awesome. Doctor Who rocks. :)
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Dec 3, 2007 7:10 AM

Dec 2007
No,why should i do that? I dont like anime-snobs myself as well.
Anyone can read what thinks that is good for him. I do the same,and i like some anime-manga that arent THAT popular.
But when comes to ratings,i see the work overall,and i dont put 10 to a title only because its in my favorites,if it isnt a 10 :P
I loved Dragonball back at the day as well!
Dec 3, 2007 9:25 AM

Dec 2007
No, I consider someone a "n00b" when they can't act like they're mature for their age, regardless of what they read. There are perfectly intelligent Naruto readers, as well as total idiots that enjoy some of my favorites.
Ich verstehe nicht
Dec 3, 2007 10:45 AM

Dec 2007
Ohki said:
No, I consider someone a "n00b" when they can't act like they're mature for their age, regardless of what they read. There are perfectly intelligent Naruto readers, as well as total idiots that enjoy some of my favorites.

Heh,dont you look down on others if you categorize Naruto as not good title or whatever,and your 'favorites' intelligent worth reading titles?
Dec 3, 2007 11:14 AM

Dec 2007
Kira_Aso said:
Ohki said:

Heh,dont you look down on others if you categorize Naruto as not good title or whatever,and your 'favorites' intelligent worth reading titles?

No, but I do look down on Naruto as a mediocre series. However, we all have guilty pleasures. I'd never say everything I read is intelligent; for cripe sake I enjoy Tokyo Mew Mew, which I know is really childish and requires no intelligence! My point is that no one can be defined by what series they read. I have a friend that reads books that I consider to be an insult to literature, but I know she's incredibly smart. I can think a manga series is bad without thinking the people who enjoy it are dumb, ne?
Ich verstehe nicht
Dec 3, 2007 11:17 AM

Dec 2007
^Hai!
We have different taste in series so i wont take it further about this :P
And anyway,who cares,as far as you enjoy something,intelligent or not.Anime/manga is for give us moments of good time,not debates:)

P.S.Naruto is a mediocre yep,but as manga at least is better than the anime.I dont know,I find a lot more easy to like manga than anime myself.
Dec 3, 2007 11:54 AM

Dec 2007
Kira_Aso said:
^Hai!
We have different taste in series so i wont take it further about this :P
And anyway,who cares,as far as you enjoy something,intelligent or not.Anime/manga is for give us moments of good time,not debates:)

P.S.Naruto is a mediocre yep,but as manga at least is better than the anime.I dont know,I find a lot more easy to like manga than anime myself.

^^ I agree entirely. Including the stuff about Naruto. It's not terrible, but it's not great. The manga > the anime. ^^.

Debates can be fun, so long as no one bashes each other~ Like this one =3
Ich verstehe nicht
Dec 3, 2007 8:28 PM

Nov 2007
the_seventh_l said:
matching_pants said:
the only thing that REALLY bothers me are fangirls who don't give two damn about the quality of the anime and manga they watch or read, but instead obsess needlessly and endlessly about whatever long-haired prettyboy would look the hottest making out with some other long-haired pretty boy...Yoko Kurama or Sesshoumaru anyone? Ugh.

What Tatsubei said. It is 100% ok to love those characters (I'm a big Kurama fan myself), but what gets me are the girls who love them only because they're hot. (You and my girlfriend would get along great...she adores Ayame.) Any otaku knows you don't have to look very hard to find some embarrassingly bad yaoi fanfiction out there...I'm happy you see where I'm coming from on this.

Furthermore, Kuwabara hot? You gain massive respect points for saying that.

My favorite pretty boy characters would have to be Yuki Souma and Kurapica (from Hunter x Hunter) personally. For what it's worth.
Dec 4, 2007 3:26 AM

Dec 2007
^Hey,Ayame is hot,but has also a great story behind him :p -
i dont know if you have read all the Furuba.
But to be honest,i have a friend that is like that...likes Sensual Phraze because the male characters are hot.<.< (me hates it though)
I said to her that it isnt right reason to read a manga,and she aint that young either.
For the younger fangirls of fanboys,let them be.
They will appriciate different things in a manga after they have read more,or they 're older.
Dec 4, 2007 4:28 AM

Dec 2007
matching_pants said:
the_seventh_l said:
matching_pants said:

What Tatsubei said. It is 100% ok to love those characters (I'm a big Kurama fan myself), but what gets me are the girls who love them only because they're hot. (You and my girlfriend would get along great...she adores Ayame.) Any otaku knows you don't have to look very hard to find some embarrassingly bad yaoi fanfiction out there...I'm happy you see where I'm coming from on this.

Furthermore, Kuwabara hot? You gain massive respect points for saying that.

My favorite pretty boy characters would have to be Yuki Souma and Kurapica (from Hunter x Hunter) personally. For what it's worth.

I agree that girls who only like the pretty boys for being hot are REALLY annoying. I too am a Kurama fan, and the ones that only like him because he's hot suck.

And Kuwabara IS hot, especially personality-wise. He just needs a better haircut =3.

That said, I do spend a lot of time obsessing over a couple long haired men making out ^^;; *points to avvy*
Ich verstehe nicht
Dec 6, 2007 8:58 AM

Nov 2007
Ohki said:
I agree that girls who only like the pretty boys for being hot are REALLY annoying. I too am a Kurama fan, and the ones that only like him because he's hot suck.

And Kuwabara IS hot, especially personality-wise. He just needs a better haircut =3.

That said, I do spend a lot of time obsessing over a couple long haired men making out ^^;; *points to avvy*

Haha...yaoi in itself isn't bad, I think. Hell, I loved Gravitation, it made my emotions go crazy as much as any good romance story would. I just hate how the genre is plagued with "beautiful man and other beautiful man kiss beautifully and cry beautifully about beautiful things." It feels as though it was written not with the intent to tell a good story, but rather to make any female readers get hot in the panties.

Fanservice is fine, but at least make an attempt to have a decent tale to tell underneath it, you know?
Dec 6, 2007 10:08 AM
Aug 2007
matching_pants said:
Ohki said:

Haha...yaoi in itself isn't bad, I think. Hell, I loved Gravitation, it made my emotions go crazy as much as any good romance story would. I just hate how the genre is plagued with "beautiful man and other beautiful man kiss beautifully and cry beautifully about beautiful things." It feels as though it was written not with the intent to tell a good story, but rather to make any female readers get hot in the panties.

Fanservice is fine, but at least make an attempt to have a decent tale to tell underneath it, you know?

That's the main problem I have with most yaoi manga available in the States. It's basically just pretty boys having sex, no story, no substance. It's why I cherish series like Kizuna and Shout Out Loud and Gorgeous Carat that have those elements but so much more. It makes the relationship between the two boys much more deeper, more meaningful.

Besides, if I wanna read stories about beautiful men in love just for the sake of them doing it, I'd read fanfiction. XD
Dec 6, 2007 10:19 AM

Dec 2007
I agree that the BL/yaoi that don't have good stories get old, bu I still enjoy them on occasion. I look for ones with more substance, though.
Ich verstehe nicht
Dec 6, 2007 10:31 AM
Aug 2007
Ohki said:
I agree that the BL/yaoi that don't have good stories get old, bu I still enjoy them on occasion. I look for ones with more substance, though.

Agreed. The occasional one is good. Even though my mom only reads the yaoi with close to or no story. >.< I do my best, but she's difficult.
Dec 7, 2007 5:35 PM

Dec 2007
Hmm.
Well, no. I don't particularly care what other people are reading - if they like it, they like it. If I also happen to like it, I'll be more apt to talk to them about it, of course, since we have a common interest. Otherwise, I'd probably just ignore it.
Dec 19, 2007 6:33 AM
Nov 2007
I do not believe that people have the right to title and judge someone who they do not know based on what he or she reads or watches.
Calling someone a noob in a sense means that you are in fact titling that person, and it is a derogatory term to many.
Anime is no reason to put people down, nor reason to give someone high respect. The same story story applies to manga. Read what you want, when you want. Just because someone else's taste does not fit into what you like does not me that they are in any way less of a person than you, which is what you're doing when you look down on others. Looking down on someone implies you have no appreciate nor respect for that person, and quite frankly, doing so based on anime and manga has no sense in it.
My reasoning behind that is, as a personal opinion, there's no logic in giving someone commendation or respect when you do not even know who that person is. How can you? So they may be up-to-date with manga and/or anime, who cares? For all you know, he or she could be a crude person. Lucky if the person is not.

So anyway, to answer your question and question description, no.

By the way, if this sounds as though I'm lashing out etc, I'm not. Sorry if it may seem like I am.
Feb 12, 2008 10:11 PM

Jan 2008
I don't really pay attention to stuff like that. I tend to watch subbed versions by fans, and I'm usually ahead of what comes out in the US.

Mar 15, 2008 11:56 PM

Mar 2008
Nope whatever you like is what you like, just because I don't like a certain series doesn't mean I'm going to look down on another for reading it. Everyone has their own preferences, and that's just how it is.
What you saw at the castle on that windy night ,and what you saw at the bridge last night .. how I smiled, never utter a word to anyone. If you dare speak .. I will find where you are .. And I will kill you. Kill you. I will rip you apart .. crush your bones And eat your flesh.. I will drink your blood. I will .. devour you.

Mar 16, 2008 1:04 AM

Jan 2008
i have never been called anything for doing what I like to do, I watch bunches of animes, I could care less about online insults, its always nice to chat online though, but when people start ranting other people on threads and forums about what anime someone watches, i dont waste my time reading it. (the only time ive come close to an argument online was when someone disagreed on me when I said DBZ was pretty good) He responded by saying DBZ SUCKORSZZ!!!. ironicly the words dbz where in the profile name.... So I checked his anime list and he had seen all of the movies, series, and gave them all 9's - 10's for ratings...
Mar 16, 2008 1:05 AM

Jan 2008
oh yeah another time was in a fav gundam series, but that was more like a childish debate.
Mar 16, 2008 10:34 PM

Mar 2008
I'll admit to being slightly judgemental of people, however I try very hard not to be mean or tease them. (outwardly at least^^)
The main thing that gets to me are fans who think that they are cool just because they like something that everyone else likes. Just because it's popular, they think that liking it will make them popular. This creates a massive, and rather mindless, fanbase for said "cool thing". When this happens, I subconsiously tend to reject whatever it is, even if I previously liked it. ie; Naruto, PotC, Orlando Bloom, Harry Potter, The musical Cats... I just end up thinking, "Well it was good, but it wasn't THAT good."
Luckilly, there are still some things that crazy fangirls(boys) will never be able to ruin for me.
Mar 16, 2008 11:26 PM

Mar 2008
Nah, i never judge people by what they read.

Mar 16, 2008 11:39 PM
Feb 2008
Yes, my school is jam packed full of Year 7s (that's the equivalent of 7 years of school) who do nothing but read manga in the library. It's pretty funny if you go behind them and start reading out the dialogue; most of them get embarrassed and walk out.
Mar 17, 2008 10:23 AM

Apr 2007
I wouldn't call them n00bs, I call them crazy. Doesn't mean i'm biased against them either. To each their own right?

Mar 17, 2008 9:25 PM

Feb 2008
wussup
Mar 17, 2008 10:41 PM

Feb 2008
not really
Mar 18, 2008 2:44 PM

Oct 2007
I dont mind what people read. everyones got a different taste and is entitled to express themselves by choose whatever they want to read.

however, with that said, what annoys me kinda is when you get, lets say.... 10-14 year olds who has only seen naruto from cartoon network and thinks its the greatest anime out there =___= - running around dressed as ninjas and jumping off cars and stuff. its not a big deal since they are young and probably dont know much about animes etc and just want to have fun...

but i do try to refrain myself from rolling my eyes sometimes ^___^"
Mar 20, 2008 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
To me it doesn't matter what someone reads/watches. As long as you keep up with it then you can't be considered a "noob"
Mar 21, 2008 6:09 PM

Feb 2008
just eva~!
Mar 23, 2008 6:56 PM

Jan 2008
Not really. It's not my problem of what other people like. o.o
Mar 25, 2008 8:13 AM

Aug 2007
No, I don't care about them.

Mar 25, 2008 8:34 AM
Dec 2007
Not really. People like what they like. I really don't care what they like or dislike. If they only like mainstream manga and don't like others. That's fine. I really don't care. People should choose to like whatever they want.

Although sometimes it does irritate when some people act like they're solid otakus when they just read a lot of the mainstream manga. Such as Naruto, One Piece, etc. Same with anime.

But honestly, I really don't care. I don't say call anime and manga fans "noobs". They like what they like and that's all there is to it.
DeletedAccount23Mar 27, 2008 3:32 PM
Mar 25, 2008 8:54 AM

Oct 2007
Well if people looked down on others because they didn't keep up to date with animes or mangas, I'd be called a noob right now >.<
Though I don't really see much of a reason for that, I go at my own pace and watch ton of animes all at the same time and don't usually pick one to watch till I'm up-to-date or finished with it.
I don't look down at people if they aren't up-to-date or anything. I'll respect their likes and dislikes.

Mar 25, 2008 12:52 PM

May 2007
COURSE NOT! well honestly....sometimes....unconsciously XP
but hey i for one love dragonball, digimon and the old pokemon (when there still used to be 150? pokemon lol i dun remember XP) so yea everyone has different taste and its not nice to judge other people based on that >.<
Mar 27, 2008 12:05 PM

Mar 2008
It's not really much about what one watches, but more of how they behave regarding the series. It's like the whole Death Note being so mainstream to the point you feel that they watch for the sake of being updated and "cool", and then going about screaming "homg Death Note is teh best" when in the first place, they don't give a damn when they spotted the manga in their bookstores, thinking it's some sucky series. Superficial much? In that case it's definitely understandable how people who really appreciated the series would "look down" on them :/
Apr 2, 2008 2:08 PM

Mar 2008
The only people I look down too are people who are scared of what people think of there hobby. People who are to afraid to read manga in public. >:-(

Apr 2, 2008 2:10 PM

Mar 2008
I looked down at peach girl b/c it looked preppy and retarted, but that is just y opinion ^^
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

451 by lemonmon »»
2 hours ago

» What older manga do you wish would get an anime adaptation? (Or an anime remake?) Why?

Rheanne_Harkness - Mar 6

23 by deg »»
10 hours ago

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5999 by Midna »»
Today, 10:00 AM

» Where can I find the people screeching "manga's better"?

Tenderizer79 - Aug 24

3 by raviwe »»
Today, 6:10 AM

» Do you collect physical copies of manga?

DesuMaiden - Sep 6

43 by SkullKn1ght »»
Yesterday, 8:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.