Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2011 11:44 AM

Jun 2010
Amazing episode. Didn't expect Homura to cry.

And I expected that for Sayaka.
Feb 27, 2011 12:34 PM

Jan 2011
Wow, definitely my favorite episode yet. (= I love the atmosphere, it keeps getting creepier each episode, really sad about Sayaka though.
Feb 27, 2011 1:30 PM

Feb 2010
Is it to early to call this the best anime of 2011?
Feb 27, 2011 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
OrochiPL said:
They didn't really do much work though, it's all visible around 22:16 in this episdoe after all.
I disagree. It really is dark and too abstract. In fact I thank the people who have drawn her their way because it gives a much clearer image and in fact it is better pieced puzzled back. Basically different frames from that part rendered in their own ways by those who fan drawn her.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 27, 2011 3:46 PM

Nov 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
OrochiPL said:
They didn't really do much work though, it's all visible around 22:16 in this episdoe after all.
I disagree. It really is dark and too abstract. In fact I thank the people who have drawn her their way because it gives a much clearer image and in fact it is better pieced puzzled back. Basically different frames from that part rendered in their own ways by those who fan drawn her.

I agree with Yumekichi.
I totally overlooked witch-Sayaka having 3 faces: herself, Kamiyou and Madoka I assume - so sad. Besides, those drawings make it a lot easier to compare with the stuff in Homura's house.

While looking at the comparisons with Bakemonogatari and Cosette, it hit me it's also a reference to this:
Feb 27, 2011 4:14 PM

Oct 2008
1) Go to link - http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Translated_Official_Documents#Chidamari
2) Scroll down to Object that drops after the battle in Episode 3
3) Read the information
4) Go! Go! Speculah!

Quote for those too lazy to go to the link: "Regarding the object that drops onto a table next to Homura after episode 3's battle, it's clearly written on the storyboard as "part of the witch". Everybody is having their imagination work too much."

Yes, I am reviving a dead horse, but Mami's body location is unknown and we don't have solid proof that her gem was actually destroyed. We just assumed that munching her head meant her gem was destroyed.
Feb 27, 2011 4:48 PM
Nov 2010
Rhypo-oniichan said:
Is it to early to call this the best anime of 2011?

I'm not sure the Gintama and Kaiji fanboys will agree with you.
Feb 27, 2011 4:56 PM

Mar 2009
Kyubey ate his other self... anyway, good episode.
Feb 27, 2011 5:32 PM

Apr 2010
http://3-me.net/flashdir/shootqb/

I think this will be enjoyable to most people here
Feb 27, 2011 7:16 PM
Jan 2011
aznkirby890 said:

EPIC.
Feb 27, 2011 10:51 PM

Dec 2008
aznkirby890 said:

Yeah that's awesome :D
Feb 27, 2011 10:55 PM

Sep 2010
if the dream at the first episode is some sort of vision of the future, is it save to assume that kyouko is gonna leave/die soon? cause she's not that dream.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2011 12:10 AM

Aug 2008
Pretty intense episode.
My guess is that Sayaka is turning into a witch. Sure seems like it.
And I'm pretty sure the black cat in the OP must mean something. Probably the real familiar?
Feb 28, 2011 4:44 AM

Nov 2007
Omniknight said:
1) Go to link - http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Translated_Official_Documents#Chidamari
2) Scroll down to Object that drops after the battle in Episode 3
3) Read the information
4) Go! Go! Speculah!

Quote for those too lazy to go to the link: "Regarding the object that drops onto a table next to Homura after episode 3's battle, it's clearly written on the storyboard as "part of the witch". Everybody is having their imagination work too much."

Yes, I am reviving a dead horse, but Mami's body location is unknown and we don't have solid proof that her gem was actually destroyed. We just assumed that munching her head meant her gem was destroyed.

Here's the page for the manga. Very gore, so be warned

Looking at that, I'm sure her soulgem was destroyed and Mami's body was eaten.
Feb 28, 2011 5:13 AM

Apr 2009
Urobuchi Gen said:
To tell the truth, the production of the Madoka anime was temporary stopped once the scenario was finished, however Hanokage's manga still continued. So the rough sketch of the manga was done before the storyboard. It's amusing if you compare the manga and anime, as they're divergences from a single scenario.
Source: Puella Magi Wiki

Given that, the manga is not going to be completely compliant with the anime canon, and thus we shouldn't get to too big conclusions based on the manga alone.

Anyway, putting that aside - I don't really know why people care so much about whether Mami's Soul Gem has been destroyed or not. It doesn't make a big difference to me. Whether destroyed or not, it was inside Charlotte's maze. Charlotte's maze is no more, and things which were in it are either gone completely, or somehow contained in Charlotte's Grief Seed. And if Mami's Soul Gem is indeed inside Charlotte's Soul Gem (or in Homura in case she did something with it), then does it matter whether it was intact or destroyed?

Mami is dead, there's no mistaking it - there were too many hints at that, with her body transforming back to human form and Homura getting freed. The matter of her resurrection is not linked to whether Charlotte destroyed her Soul Gem or not - it's not like it can be recovered anyway. If Charlotte killed her in the outside world, it might have been relevant, but she was killed in the witch's maze, and since the witch is no more, the maze is also! And if Mami's soul can be "extracted" somehow from Charlotte's Grief Seed, then it is also irrelevant whether the Soul Gem was intact or not, because her soul got "mixed" with Charlotte's and her familiars' ones even if it was intact.
Feb 28, 2011 5:34 AM

Oct 2008
cleo said:

I see the undeniable truth. I stand corrected.

kFYatek said:
Urobuchi Gen said:
I don't really know why people care so much about whether Mami's Soul Gem has been destroyed or not. It doesn't make a big difference to me. Whether destroyed or not, it was inside Charlotte's maze. Charlotte's maze is no more, and things which were in it are either gone completely, or somehow contained in Charlotte's Grief Seed. And if Mami's Soul Gem is indeed inside Charlotte's Soul Gem (or in Homura in case she did something with it), then does it matter whether it was intact or destroyed?

Mami is dead, there's no mistaking it - there were too many hints at that, with her body transforming back to human form and Homura getting freed. The matter of her resurrection is not linked to whether Charlotte destroyed her Soul Gem or not - it's not like it can be recovered anyway. If Charlotte killed her in the outside world, it might have been relevant, but she was killed in the witch's maze, and since the witch is no more, the maze is also! And if Mami's soul can be "extracted" somehow from Charlotte's Grief Seed, then it is also irrelevant whether the Soul Gem was intact or not, because her soul got "mixed" with Charlotte's and her familiars' ones even if it was intact.

I know she's not coming back, but deep down inside, I always thought she had a small chance of at least coming back. Perhaps in a metaphysical form at least?
I know the whole opening of the show is a troll, but we all love Mami and would love to see her at least one more time in action! Then again, she did have a solid 25% (first 3 episodes) of the show to herself.
Feb 28, 2011 6:27 AM

Jul 2009
I expected her to be wished back in episode 4 personally. Then I heard Kyubey say something about bringing life back from death being impossible and was sad.

Mami was like a cool mix of Noel from Blazblue and Bayonetta. The cute appearance of Noel and the stylish/brutal grace of Bayonetta.
Feb 28, 2011 8:59 AM

Aug 2009
Witches drop Seeds.
Shoujos become Witches.
Shoujos are Seeds, which need to be fed with Seeds.
Shoujos kill and devour each other.

What would one do with a Seed which had absorbed every other Witches? Meaning, what for does one needs a Seed, which contains all possible levels and variations of corruption, despair, jealousy, neglect and doubt?

Madokas potential seems to be (for now) a measure to counterbalance that shit.
Feb 28, 2011 9:08 AM

Aug 2010
I'm sure of three things about this anime:

1) Mami is dead. She won't come back. She's gone and I'd think less of this anime if she returned. Even an Obi-wan Kenobi~esque spirit image would be too much for me.

2) Sayaka will not be saved. No real reason, but the direction in which this anime goes somehow doesn't work with rescuing her.

3) There will be no happy end. Maybe a not-too-bad end, but as I said, this anime would lose much of it's impact if there was an "all's well that ends well"
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Feb 28, 2011 11:15 AM

Dec 2010
Wordsmith said:

2) Sayaka will not be saved. No real reason, but the direction in which this anime goes somehow doesn't work with rescuing her.

Heh, I'd say it's about 50-50 right now. I'm still putting my chips in that the Soul Gem cleansing can be reversed to cleanse a Grief Seed by sacrificing a Soul Gem.

Wordsmith said:
3) There will be no happy end. Maybe a not-too-bad end, but as I said, this anime would lose much of it's impact if there was an "all's well that ends well"

Everyone dies, world gets saved, would be a good balance.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Feb 28, 2011 12:10 PM
Jul 2010
Wordsmith said:
I'm sure of three things about this anime:

1) Mami is dead. She won't come back. She's gone and I'd think less of this anime if she returned. Even an Obi-wan Kenobi~esque spirit image would be too much for me.

Couldn't have said better. I'd be really disappointed if this had a happy ending.
Feb 28, 2011 1:23 PM

Dec 2010
Dusk252 said:

Couldn't have said better. I'd be really disappointed if this had a happy ending.

Don't know why everyone saying this, really. What will matter to me is the quality of the ending, not whether it's good or bad...

(but I will be fair, I've always been a fan of "to hell and back" stuff)
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

Feb 28, 2011 2:21 PM
Dec 2007
BrickBreak said:
Dusk252 said:

Don't know why everyone saying this, really. What will matter to me is the quality of the ending, not whether it's good or bad...

People just don't want this mahou shoujo to end like all other mahou shoujo anime. That said, I want a half/half ending with some despair but a little hope.

Feb 28, 2011 4:50 PM

Nov 2007
kFYatek said:
Given that, the manga is not going to be completely compliant with the anime canon, and thus we shouldn't get to too big conclusions based on the manga alone.
Yes, I read that too, but that scene is very similar, except the anime (understandably) toned it down.

BrickBreak said:
Wordsmith said:

Heh, I'd say it's about 50-50 right now. I'm still putting my chips in that the Soul Gem cleansing can be reversed to cleanse a Grief Seed by sacrificing a Soul Gem.

I think Kyouko is certainly willing to try. But the more I think about it, I can't see it working. Sayaka's soul has been corrupted. Even if it works, knowing what she knows, with all the shit she's been through, how long will it take to turn back again?

Wordsmith said:

Everyone dies, world gets saved, would be a good balance.
Part of me wants to see Madoka turn into this super-witch, and than back to her waking up ->time-loop->Homerun having to do another try.
But a bitterweet ending will be good too.
Feb 28, 2011 7:51 PM

Sep 2008
BrickBreak said:
Dusk252 said:

Obviously anything can be forgiven if it's done well. This being said, they're not building up to anything happy right now, and especially with the mahou shojo genre, the fear of a Mai-Hime situation is understandable. You can't just go from an entire season of progressively depressing and morbid episodes to "Everyone's OK. No worries, Mai's not dead anymore and Sayaka made it through all this, worked past her emotional trauma, and was freed from her Mahou Shojo curse." without getting some broken necks from the mood whiplash.

I think I'd be able to accept if happiness was a component of the ending, but a "Happy Ending" ie. a happily ever after type situation, an ending that is definitively happy, probably wouldn't please me.

Once again, just about anything can be forgiven if they do it properly. I've seen nothing from these guys yet to indicate that they won't.
Feb 28, 2011 7:56 PM

Oct 2010
cleo said:
Here's the page for the manga. Very gore, so be warned

Holy shit O_O I knew about it but looking at it, it was like Gantz all over for some time. Truly the critics are complaining about TV acceptable while I hope the BD may change it to the manga. Seeing it like that Mami's head is the first thing that digested inside that monster. The manga is really insane BTW.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 28, 2011 8:01 PM

Nov 2009
I just want to say: ewwwwwwwwwww, Kyubey ate his own body, really sick and cool at the same time, the story keeps getting better.
Feb 28, 2011 9:02 PM

Jun 2010
What an awesome episode. The truth about the witches has been revealed. O.O!
Feb 28, 2011 9:12 PM

Jul 2010
This ep proves that QB isn't just immoral like what many people kept saying, but is actually the main antagonist
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Feb 28, 2011 11:23 PM

Sep 2010
i love how QB smiles with his :3 catface while he's basically saying epic evil shit >.<
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2011 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
holy shit. kyubey is the antichrist!!!

REPENT THE END IS NIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 1, 2011 4:31 AM

Aug 2009
@Wordsmith: Urobuchi never does bad ending. It will be happy ending, but bitter..... very, very bitter; so that some people will not even be able to consider this happy ending even if it really IS happy ending.
Mar 1, 2011 7:41 AM

Aug 2010
well, a happy ending that isn't happy isn't a happy ending XD

That's what I would call a "not-too-bad" ending ^^"

And I dunno about works he did or did not, this is the first of his works I see.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Mar 1, 2011 8:42 AM

Aug 2007
Leonard93 said:
i love how QB smiles with his :3 catface while he's basically saying epic evil shit >.<
Seconded. :3

I really had to lol when Kyubeuy was shot. Pretty much the only thing that surprised me is that Homura had to cry at the end about Madoka. What is she, her child from the future and Madoka died because of sacrificing herself as she become a maso, err, mahou shoujo?
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Mar 1, 2011 9:29 AM

Sep 2010
Omniknight said:
RomanaDesu said:
I want a less than 200kb gif of Kyuube being shot so I can use it as my avatar. XD

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=100914&page=5
Post by mikoo.

I love you! <3
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Mar 1, 2011 3:42 PM
Dec 2007
Wordsmith said:
well, a happy ending that isn't happy isn't a happy ending XD

That's what I would call a "not-too-bad" ending ^^"

And I dunno about works he did or did not, this is the first of his works I see.
From what I read of some of them he does do happy endings but with very unexpected spins and they are happy only in the broad sense of the word. It will likely be a bad end for some characters.
Leon-GunMar 1, 2011 8:23 PM

Mar 1, 2011 5:08 PM

Oct 2008
Whether the ending is happy or not depends on how you view it. The world is an awfully peaceful place when everyone is dead.
Mar 1, 2011 6:39 PM
Feb 2011
my my, this is really getting interesting =)
the kyuby or, incubator is the villain (for now), I believe that there is someone or something that commands the incubator, that is for sure.
The proof is that even the kyuby follow some laws, that mean that he follow someone/thing law. That is my point of view =)
Mar 1, 2011 6:51 PM

Jun 2009
Omniknight said:
Whether the ending is happy or not depends on how you view it. The world is an awfully peaceful place when everyone is dead.
Soul-crushingly depressing with a "bittersweet" twist. Yeah, that sounds more like the Urobuchi we all know and love.
Mar 1, 2011 7:39 PM

Nov 2007
Omniknight said:

Hahaha, oh wow!
I don't think they go that far, but I think it's safe to say there won't be an ending with everyone alive and all happy again. That simply doesn't fit with all the talk about balance.

So, any predictions for the next ep?
I fear for Kyouko with the deathflags they've put up: backstory, on her way to redemption by going from selfish to caring for Sayaka.
I also think we'll see more of Hitomi & Kamiyou. I rewatched that scene, and I'm not at all convinced they're a couple now. She looks shocked at some point and casts down her eyes. So I think she confessed and got turned down, or talked about Sayaka, and learned he wasn't interested in Sayaka that way.
I like to think 'witch-kiss' is to be taken as literal as soul-gem, so I hope we''ll get to see Sayaka kiss Kamiyou. I wonder if we're gonna get a view from witch-Sayaka's perspective, that would be awesome.
Mar 2, 2011 3:17 AM

Jul 2010
am i the only one noticing that Kyubey might be Orihara Izaya's pet? lol.

XD
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Mar 2, 2011 4:04 AM
Feb 2009
oh, so homura doesnt really know how to teleport, she actually used time controlling to freeze the time while she is moving o.o

oh, another "i didnt tell u becoz u nvr asked" about the mahou soujo can actually turn into witch... so... kyubei actually want madoka to be the strongest mahou shoujo so later on she can become the strongest witch? o.o
oblivious is a bliss
Mar 2, 2011 9:02 AM
Feb 2011
My guess is that QB does all that stuff in order to become more powerful as you can see how it works.

QB contracts girls, so they become mahou shoujo. Mahou shoujo has to hunt witches in order to keep help others and gather grief seeds to gradually increase their power by using them to absorb the dark energy from their soul gem. The grief seed that has no use left anymore and it contains large amount of that cursed energy, therefore QB has got a dinner to increase his own power.

QB wants Madoka to contract him, because she is the most powerful and kind person. Just like Homura said, kindness can bring greater trouble, which makes Madoka vulnerable to become hurt mentally much faster and become a witch like Sayaka did. Sayaka has been taken over by despair and regrets regarding to her wish and will, therefore she didn't care about saving the world anymore.
Mar 2, 2011 12:33 PM
Dec 2010
Does anyone have a gif of Kyubey eating his discarded self? I want to show it to a friend and freak him out a bit XD
Mar 2, 2011 2:12 PM

Nov 2007
Season3 said:
Does anyone have a gif of Kyubey eating his discarded self? I want to show it to a friend and freak him out a bit XD

Not a gif, but Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzunqqrgy9k

Can someone translate this? I think it says something about a prequel?
Mar 2, 2011 3:25 PM

Oct 2008
If someone can translate cleo's picture, can you translate Urobuchi Gen's latest comment I found in the news thread. (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=281994&show=120)

zimno said:
Urobuch's new comment has come
on today's Yomiuri evening paper
Mar 2, 2011 4:17 PM

Apr 2009
@cleo: The left side is some general info:
Production: Magica Quartet
Manga: Mura Kuroe

One more story of Madoka and friends, drawn as a comic. Will be published after anime finishes airing.

The right side is comment by the author. My Japanese is too shitty to actually translate it, but it doesn't say anything about prequels to me, at least not explicitly, because the rest suggests it. I think it says that the manga will show Kyouko and Mami from different perspectives, will feature original characters and will be approaching the Madoka universe in a quite liberal way. The author also says some generic "I can't say anything yet, but I tried my best for people who liked the anime and for those who want to watch it, so please look forward to it".

If someone knows Japanese a little more, or wants to play with Google Translate or anything, I looked up all the kanji and typed the whole comment down:
Mar 2, 2011 4:23 PM

Dec 2010
While we're waiting for Friday, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-P8vgsVoRg

Mar 2, 2011 4:49 PM

Nov 2007
Thanks kFYatek, /a/ was jumping to conclusions.

Omniknight said:
If someone can translate cleo's picture, can you translate Urobuchi Gen's latest comment I found in the news thread. (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=281994&show=120)

Translation of the parts that Urobuchi actually said;
------
"At first, I was aware of the intention of off-guarded surprise."

"I was asked for the unforeseeable cruel tone, thus even if the cover is 'mahou shoujo', inside is 'operation-as-usual' of myself."

*About QB: "There is no malicious intent, but his moral value is fundamentally different from human. Way of confronting something different in kind is one of focus of the story that I'm thinking of."

"I want to end this series with the story of DREAM AND HOPE, but I don't know if watchers will accept it that way."

From here:http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/03/madoka-yumiuri-newspaper-urobuchi.html
Mar 2, 2011 4:55 PM

Apr 2009
cleo said:
"I want to end this series with the story of DREAM AND HOPE, but I don't know if watchers will accept it that way."

Now that's interesting. So Urobuchi wants to give us some happy ending. I hope he manages to do it in some appealing way, because I can't imagine a fitting ending which would be really full of "dream and hope".

...or he's just trolling us again.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favorite character

erziescarlett - May 7, 2023

32 by Zakir_knight »»
Jun 11, 9:59 PM

» Characters are annoying

Flowz0x - May 7, 2022

24 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 11, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1546 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

231 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

463 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 12:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.