Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2007 6:57 AM

Aug 2007
i know we all only watch subtitled anime in this club... but everyone's got to have seen dubs that just made them cringe. so what show had the worst dub job you've ever heard?
personally i'm gonna have to go with fullmetal alchemist, i couldn't even finish an episode!

yin-Sep 8, 2007 9:05 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 7, 2007 10:30 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Gonna have to say Evangelion. Soooo bad.
Sep 10, 2007 4:22 PM

Jun 2007
Initial D. Where has all the Eurobeat gone?

The Space Cruiser Yamato dub is also ridiculously, if humorously, bad. However, that show was never spectacular in the first place. I can't quite get the "Quest for Iscandar" theme out of my head no matter how hard I try.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Sep 10, 2007 5:57 PM

Apr 2007
FMA was horrible!! I comepltely agree and some other's i hate are: Ranma 1/2 Tsubasa Chronicles, Inuyasha, and Fruits Basket.

A lot of people think Inuyasha isnt so bad, but when you compare it to the dub, it's mindblowingly terrible!! The sub is soooo good and so full of emotion and it's just WOW....that it makes the dub 30 times worse than it already is.

People have told me that they watched Inuyasha in english and hated Kagome because she was whiney....i said well HELLO!! watch a few eps in jap! and so they did. Now they've changed thier mind about her and tell me that they actually like her now.

I think we should start a club for recovering english dub watchers. We can comfort them and help them overcome thier dubbing issues.
Sep 11, 2007 12:08 PM

Aug 2007
FMA.... so bad..................
and Ranma....... bad....
Sep 14, 2007 9:08 AM

Jun 2007
Ranmas German Dubs weren`t that bad, but jus cauz i dun know the jap version^^

Without any futher discription: *cough*99% of all hentai dubs are way to shitty to call it a dub, believe me *cough* :x
And i watched adubbed CHobits version lately , WORST nightmare
Sep 14, 2007 9:42 AM

May 2007
bleach... enough said.

Sep 22, 2007 12:43 PM

Jun 2007
Full Metal Alchemist? Are you kidding me? It's considered to be one of the best ever done. It's an high insult to me because the man that worked on that did a very good job.
Sep 23, 2007 12:43 PM

Aug 2007
well, i had no intention of offending anyone here...
but the voices just did not match any of the characters.
listen to ed in japanese, and then in english and the difference just blows you away...

i do remember being really impressed with the syncing however if thats what you mean

Sep 23, 2007 1:34 PM

Oct 2006
Judging by the snippets I found through hounddog's blog, I'd have to nominate Garzey's Wing even though I've never actually watched it.
Sep 23, 2007 2:05 PM

Aug 2007
Azumanga Daioh, because of Osaka. Yes, I realise what they were trying to do. No, they clearly didn't understand how foolish an undertaking that was. No, it fails utterly and is completely out of place. Yes, it's a perfect microcosmic example of why US releasing firms continue to deserve great amounts of scorn - ADV ended up getting an award for best dub for the series, or rather, since ADV organised the awards, it's more accurate to say they ended up giving themselves an award for it.

And the all-star dubs for Ghibli films. First, it proves that just because you're successful in films, it doesn't mean you can voice act. Second, it totally changes the mood of the film, as the dub has numerous places full of pretty meaningless babble where the Japanese track has no dialogue - you can tell Disney is behind these because of the utterly patronising attitude behind the decision to do that. Third, you can't even enjoy the subbed version properly, because the subs are taken from the dub script rather than translated from the Japanese audio (i.e. Dubtitled). Since there's a large difference between the sub and dub scripts, which even a small knowledge of Japanese can easily perceive, plus there are many subs for lines that aren't there, as per the dubtitling explained above, it's pretty damn distracting if your age is in double figures.
Sep 23, 2007 2:26 PM

Aug 2007
one piece 4kids version, that just sucked which made me quit one piece for a few weeks, but then i watched subbed versions instead

Sep 27, 2007 9:30 PM

Apr 2007
I havnt watched too much dubbed anime, since i stay away from them, so out of the ones i have watched i can say Love Hina's dub was the worst. I watched 2 seconds before i couldnt help but laugh non-stop, the dub was that bad...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2007 7:31 AM

Jun 2007
What's this, no DBZ complaints? XD mind you, I haven't bothered to try to watch the subbed.. TOO MANY EPISODES. Or how about Sailor Moon? HAHA.. What, they don't like the Sailor Stars?? SHE-MEN!!
Oct 4, 2007 8:15 AM

Oct 2007
Chrno Cursade und Full Metal Panic! German Dubs...
they were so bad, impossible to explain^^

Oct 4, 2007 10:32 AM

Mar 2007
I have not watched many dub series... but I can think of a few that are just awful.

One series that is just plain awful is the 4Kids dub of One Piece. That group ruins everything they get their evil hands on. They replace good voice actors with untalented ones. They take out much of the action, which is one thing that makes the series good. They do some pointless stuff such as replacing guns with toys, swords with toy shovels and the like.

While on the topic of 4Kids, another awful dub that they were behind is Pokemon, especially the latest series that currently airs on Cartoon Network. There were some decent voice actors from the old version I used to watch when I was a kid, but now all of the decent voice actors are gone. The new voice for Ash is just awful, it kills my ears just listening to it. I can't say much more since every time I find out that Pokemon is coming on, I turn the channel.

Another awful dub would be the one for Naruto. For starters, according to my friend, the voice for Naruto sounds like a "30 year old pretending to be a 7 year old" (or something like that). The voice acting on the original Japanese version is quite good, and it has never bothered me. There might be a few good voice actors on Naruto (not sure, since Naruto's voice scares me away) but most of them just suck. While it is good that they left the violence in the anime, it is stupid that they removed the blood, you can obviously tell parts that would normally be bloody, but weren't.

---
It seems a lot of people hate the dub of Full Metal Alchemist. It actually does not bother me, because some of the voice actors are actually somewhat decent. Since it is on Adult Swim, most of (if not all) the content was left in place.

A few people also seem to hate the Bleach dub, and I kinda can understand why. I do agree that some of the voice actors aren't very good, but I think some of them are tolerable. I also hate how some of the voice actors try to pronounce Japanese names, and do a miserable job at it. One thing that really bothers me about the Bleach dub, is that instead of saying "Shinigami" ... they translated it into the lame "Soul Reaper" ... they already left the Japanese names, so why not leave one of the most used terms in Japanese too? Even if people don't understand what Shinigami means, it still sounds a lot better than "Soul Reaper." I have not watched many episodes of this, so I can not say much more.

... that is all that I can think of off the top of my head since I hardly ever watch anything dubbed. The only time I watch dubs are when I am bored and I have my TV on.
Oct 11, 2007 9:04 AM

Jul 2007
Magic Knight Rayearth, and Wedding Peach. *Shudder* They nearly killed me.

Oct 11, 2007 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
yin said:

personally i'm gonna have to go with fullmetal alchemist, i couldn't even finish an episode!
]

Imagine here in Brazil. They have dub the dubbed english version of FMA! (like they do in most animes that passes here. That's terrible!
removed-userOct 11, 2007 9:26 AM
Oct 11, 2007 11:44 AM
Sep 2007
two of the worst dubs i have ever heard is love hina and naruto. my god they were so bad i nearly barfed. in general most dubs r horrible but naruto and love hina go beyond that point. my god XP
Oct 20, 2007 12:43 PM

Oct 2007
Zel said:
One thing that really bothers me about the Bleach dub, is that instead of saying "Shinigami" ... they translated it into the lame "Soul Reaper" ... they already left the Japanese names, so why not leave one of the most used terms in Japanese too? Even if people don't understand what Shinigami means, it still sounds a lot better than "Soul Reaper." I have not watched many episodes of this, so I can not say much more.

Lemme explain:
Shinigami - god (or goddess) of death. In other words its thing that kills.
Soul Reaper - someone who leads dead ones to afterlife. If you watched this anime, you'll know that it is exact definition for what "shinigamis" in Bleach do. In other words, its most suitable translation.

Even if fansubbers literaly translated shinigami as death god, keep in mind, that they were only fansubbers.

Now about the FMA dub.
It's one of the best dubs out there. VAs of FMA done quite nice job, so I don't really see reason to hate it so much. It's inferior to Jap version, but its good.

And if you really want to hear really bad dub, watch Bible Black. Believe me, you'll want to rip your head off after it.

Help the poor Ninja! Click Billy vs Snakeman link today!
Oct 22, 2007 10:39 AM

Sep 2007
i agree with all of you....
but you forgot one *i speak to all of you*
RUROUNI KENSHIN!!!!

personally i found this one really, really, really bad... but the ones you named here are not good either.......
Oct 22, 2007 12:18 PM

Mar 2007
Hmm. I can't say I disliked the Rurouni Kenshin dub. After all, it was because of Rurouni Kenshin that I started watching anime... at least downloading anime. Yet, I still have not watched the last ~10 episodes... no idea why.
Nov 9, 2007 5:47 AM

Oct 2007
didn't like the dubbing of X the Movie, Yu-Gi-Oh GX and Beyblade. O.O

Dec 7, 2007 6:16 PM

Oct 2007
Ranma, Death Note, Full Moon wo Sagashite, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
They were HORRIBLE!
Im not really a dub hater. I actually prefer to watch the dubs because reading the words and watching the pictures on the screen at the same time give me a headache(though japanese voices sound better), but for those4 animes I actually wanted to watch the subbed ones.
The worst one is definitely Full moon wo sagashite. Mainly because when the girl talked, she sounded like a nomal girl, but when she sang, she sounded like a 50 year old lady. Not to mention most of the other voices were pretty bad.
I don't understand why everyone thinks naruto and FMA were bad. Those were the only 2 that I think sounds better in english. Especially FMA I think ed and al's voice matches their personality perfectly.
Dec 8, 2007 7:08 AM

Aug 2007
Just joined club, but feel the need to add my own to the list....... one word: Gravitation

It literally made me cry, it's so bad. To this date, I still wish I hadn't been curious to check the dub out. I think it made my ears bleed.
Dec 8, 2007 9:19 AM

Sep 2007
I never watch dubs so I can't say much, but I accidentally came across a dubbing of Angelic Layer and I almost threw up. Mostly because Misaki's voice changed from being way too high-pitched in subs to sounding like a guy in dubs.
Dec 9, 2007 4:05 AM

Sep 2007
Rurouni Kenshin was definitely one of the worst along with Fruits Basket @_@
Dec 10, 2007 6:11 PM
Jul 2007
Elfen Lied was absolutely horrible, they killed EVERY single female character
FLCL was terrible as well, they butchered Haruko SO badly
Kino's Journey was just frightening, Hermes creeped me out.
Naruto dub was terrible as well, they change alot of the really funny stuff like "perverted hermit" or "pervy sage" to "hermit sage" which was so disappointing.
Dec 14, 2007 10:11 PM
Dec 2007
I will go with One Piece as the worst dub. Truthfully I was watching dubbed anime when I first started just like most .. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun. Outlaw Star, the beginnings of AS.. when i caught One Piece one afternoon and said .. ick what baby poo is this?? Even Inu-yahsa Saiyuki and Fruits Basket sound decent to me in English still.. however.. when my boyfriend showed me One Piece in original audio..Since that day...I have yet to watch another anime series dubbed. I was brought to little vomit spikes in my throat when I caught One Piece the next day.. it was truly horrible. The more you watch with original audio.. the more you realize.. dubbing (although reaches more masses).. is always going to be poor quality entertainment. Watching some of the first series I watched in English tends to leave me wanting to leave them in English .. matter of preference. However, when I see some of the shows I had started watching in original audio.. dubbed.. no matter what show it is.. makes my skin crawl.

The more you watch in Japanese.. the more you come to loath dubbing ^.^

also.. professional subbing .. leaves something to be desired.. the English script changes are already in place.. and unfortunately whether it is correctly fansubbed or not.. fansubs always tell it like we want to hear it hahaha.

now go love your fansubbers.. they are grossly unappreciated!
Dec 17, 2007 5:47 AM

May 2007
4kids One Piece. nuff said
Dec 19, 2007 11:31 PM

Dec 2007
one piece is the worst, not contest!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2007 3:13 PM

Jul 2007
iv been following the sub and dub of death note over the last few days, an i thought both where great, untill i heard L on chapter 5+

it was so bad!

D:

he sounds so much cooler in the sub.

so one point for sub.
Jan 27, 2008 7:43 PM

Jan 2008
Absolutly, hands down has to be Ergo Proxy. Like a lot of others, I couldn't even finish an episode, it was soo bad! The subbed was soo good that I thought the dubbed had to be decent; sadly I was wrong.
Jan 28, 2008 6:06 PM

Jan 2008
fma gota be the worst.. oh oh no wait naruto omg what are thay doing to anime by dubing it!!!

and yer ergo proxy! couldnt watch the first episode!
Feb 5, 2008 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
No matter what you say, the worst anime dubbings come from Poland.
Naruto in polish version is just a shame for m/a fans T_T Number 1 in Contest "The Worst Dubbing Ever". Horrible pronounciation of japanese names and I'm sure that they translated it from english dubbing, not japanese (because it's easier ==)

I don't watch anime with any other dubbing than japanese, but I accidentally heard english dub for Slayers and Fruits Basket. Well... I want to forget it...
Feb 12, 2008 12:34 PM
Jun 2007
Most of the dubs listed here don't even come close to being the worst. Off the top of my head, I'd have to say Voltron or Star Ocean: The Second Story. The latter isn't an anime (although there is an anime of it), but I always offer it up as a "worst dub" suggestion anyway.
Feb 19, 2008 12:12 PM

May 2007
bleach

Feb 21, 2008 6:19 PM

Nov 2007
I'd say the worst dub I've ever seen is Sailor Moon. When I first started watching it, I had no idea of the existence of anime, I thought it was just another cartoon. It wasn't until I finally saw the subbed version 10 years later that I realized how much that dub really sucked. Not to say that Sailor Moon was one of the best animes out there, but there's a huuuge difference between the two versions.

There's probably much worse dubs out there (like Inuyasha or Naruto), but I just throw Sailor Moon out there because that dub was so bad that it pretty much turned me off of dubs for good. However, I can't really judge the other dubs I've seen since I can only last through a couple of episodes before I switch to the subbed version instead.

p.s. If you thought the English dub of Sailor Moon was bad, the Spanish dub sucks even more!
Mar 2, 2008 1:17 PM

Jan 2008
I'd have to dissagree with orbitz. I mean, the sailor moon dub was infact bad, but I didn't think it was really really bad. There was a big difference between the dub and sub, but I still didn't think it was bad enough to keep you off dubs forever.
Mar 7, 2008 7:12 PM
Dec 2007
*Ahem* Let me make a little list here.....
Evangelion
Naruto
One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Flame of Recca
Ranma 1/2
Mar 10, 2008 9:30 PM

Mar 2008
The more accurate question would be 'which dub isn't horrible?'
'only the dead have seen the end of war' Plato
listen to the whispers of your ghost
Mar 10, 2008 9:51 PM

Aug 2007
Nobleman said:
Zel said:
One thing that really bothers me about the Bleach dub, is that instead of saying "Shinigami" ... they translated it into the lame "Soul Reaper" ... they already left the Japanese names, so why not leave one of the most used terms in Japanese too? Even if people don't understand what Shinigami means, it still sounds a lot better than "Soul Reaper." I have not watched many episodes of this, so I can not say much more.

Lemme explain:
Shinigami - god (or goddess) of death. In other words its thing that kills.
Soul Reaper - someone who leads dead ones to afterlife. If you watched this anime, you'll know that it is exact definition for what "shinigamis" in Bleach do. In other words, its most suitable translation.

Even if fansubbers literaly translated shinigami as death god, keep in mind, that they were only fansubbers.

Now about the FMA dub.
It's one of the best dubs out there. VAs of FMA done quite nice job, so I don't really see reason to hate it so much. It's inferior to Jap version, but its good.

And if you really want to hear really bad dub, watch Bible Black. Believe me, you'll want to rip your head off after it.
I was going to say the exact same thing on both subjects.

The only dub I've heard that comes close to the vo's of Bible Black is higurashi no naku koro ni / "When they cry".
I was at AX....were you?

Mar 12, 2008 9:38 PM

Jan 2008
Laborpilot86 said:
The more accurate question would be 'which dub isn't horrible?'

So true. What is a good dub?
Mar 13, 2008 3:09 PM

Mar 2008
the only for me that is at least watchable is Cowboy Bebop
'only the dead have seen the end of war' Plato
listen to the whispers of your ghost
Mar 13, 2008 9:35 PM

Mar 2008
hmm, the top worst dub, I would have to say are:
3)Naruto
2)chrno crusade
*drum roll* and the worst dub of all time that is sure to make you sick is..........

ONE) DN ANGEL!!!!!!!!!!

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"
-Edward Cullen, Twilight
Mar 24, 2008 4:11 PM

Jun 2007
many people are saying FMA, so just wanted to post on this
FMA's dub, for me, is the best english dub I ever heard. yes, I dont watch dub anime, so I cant compare it to many.. so let me try again
FMA's dub > jap.
first and last time I would ever say anything like that. because jap voices are <33 it just sounds right=> but thats not the case in FMA
Mar 30, 2008 5:04 PM

Feb 2008
Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle.

ugh....Billy Bob Thornton *shudders*
Apr 6, 2008 3:38 PM

Jan 2008
Laborpilot86 said:
the only for me that is at least watchable is Cowboy Bebop

Yea I heard it was decent. I thought Sailor Moon was bearable, wasn't fantastic but bearable.
Apr 6, 2008 3:39 PM

Jan 2008
IncognitoOtaku said:
Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle.

ugh....Billy Bob Thornton *shudders*

Thats true.
Apr 11, 2008 8:04 PM

Apr 2008
Naruto is pretty bad. One piece is easily the worst not only is the voice acting awful but they even changed voice actors like 100+ episodes in.

Also the dub for Ninja Scroll is pretty bad.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So, because we only watch subtitled, how far will you go? ( 1 2 )

Xinil - Jul 25, 2007

90 by DreamingGhost »»
May 27, 2023 1:33 PM

» soft subs or hard subs

ranax - Jan 28, 2008

30 by DreamingGhost »»
May 27, 2023 1:27 PM

» Dattebayo Staff Arrested at Otakon

Gremshula - Jul 27, 2007

23 by Mana »»
Apr 3, 2016 7:21 PM

» Subs and profanity

me-262 - Aug 24, 2012

6 by me-262 »»
Oct 23, 2013 9:43 AM

» Let's draw a line between ''I simply don't watch dubs'' and ''Screw 'em all''

Nobleman - Oct 31, 2007

42 by IntroverTurtle »»
Oct 25, 2012 12:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.