Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 14, 2010 5:34 PM

Jan 2009
mel said:
Luffy's been running on a threadmill this whole time.

Pretty much the main annoyance.

How much "better" is the manga really? Is it because its faster? Are there scenes cut in the anime that are from the manga that are suppose to be good? Or does is the anime with manga scenes plus original anime scenes?
Dec 15, 2010 1:05 AM

Apr 2009
^are you serious?
start reading the manga from chapter 551
Dec 15, 2010 7:23 AM

Jun 2009
Excellent episode!! Luffy most have lost much weight right now :-P But finally he made it. Garp !!!

Dec 15, 2010 12:29 PM

Aug 2010
Very good... Shirohige protect Luffy! Luffy go!!!
Dec 15, 2010 2:20 PM

May 2007
This guy is so friggin epic.
Wish I had a pet monkey that could use a pistol.

Dec 15, 2010 5:17 PM

Aug 2010
Next Luffy vs Garp! WOOOOOOOOO!!!
Dec 16, 2010 5:05 PM

Jan 2009
smokes said:
^are you serious?
start reading the manga from chapter 551

are YOU serious? I ain't reading anything..
Dec 17, 2010 3:29 AM

Jun 2010
YESSS! catchup with the anime :D...took me about 2 month
garp chose his position rather than his family...old timer whitebeard'll never do THAT!
Dec 17, 2010 7:17 PM

Jul 2010
Hey Ace! How about you jump down from the platform instead of Luffy having to go up? >_>

And wow, killing your family to save your family, or "pseudo-family". :s
Birondo said:
YESSS! catchup with the anime :D...took me about 2 month
garp chose his position rather than his family...old timer whitebeard'll never do THAT!
Whitebeard is in a different position. His family is on his side.
Dec 18, 2010 9:48 PM
Mar 2008
Pixy-Stix said:

It could be worse. He could power up for episodes on end. Imagine if Gear Second took 1 episode to activate. o3o

Haha, that reminded of episode 273. Just before the opening credits Luffy went Gear Second for the first time, but then I had to wait about half an episode to see him actually DO something with it.
On a sidenote, that was also one of the many episodes showing Marimo's bad sense of direction. "Go straight and take the staircase." is way too messed up to be a good direction for Zoro.

During this ep. I was mostly annoyed with Kizaru (besides the good bits of course). It really annoys me how they used the irony of Kizaru being able to move at the speed of light, but dammit if he can't speak faster than a strolling snail can move.
Jan 23, 2011 8:45 AM

Feb 2009
This is what I call epic... every character opening up a route for Luffy to reach Ace, the perfect pacing and the brilliant animation really made this one of the best episodes of this arc.
Jan 27, 2011 12:20 AM

Oct 2008
RAWR, Garp. :O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 28, 2011 4:00 PM

Jun 2009
I'm interested in the upcoming confrontation between Garp and Luffy, I doubt our hero has much of a chance. And, as cool as this may be, I still prefer the Straw Hat's over pretty much all these characters and wish to god they'd come back. So, honestly, I'm more excited about what is after this arc than the arc itself.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 19, 2011 2:10 AM

May 2010
Finally Garp is about to fight! Been waiting for this! :-D It seems that Luffy has been running for ages.. how far is the execution platform actually? haha
Apr 17, 2012 7:57 PM

Jan 2010
I love how even Ace is like "OMFG"

I wonder what Garp's motives are. Everytime he says "You have to do it over my dead body!" I believe he's saying "Kill me" because he doesn't really want Luffy and Ace to die D:
Nov 25, 2012 12:20 PM

Mar 2010
Garp hopefully puts family first..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 17, 2013 8:08 PM

Jul 2013
where the hell is AKAINU , AOKIJI, and DOFLAMINGO ? AND BTW, HOW CAN WHITE BEARD BE FASTER THEN LIGHT WHEN HE CUTS KIZARU? -.-'
Only the strong reborn from ashes.
Feb 3, 2014 1:02 AM
Jan 2014
Luffy is basically Pheidippides at this point, I just hope he doesn't collapse and die in front of Ace if/when he ever makes it to that point.

Oh, Chimpanzee with a gun on you're back is fucking epic indeed. More Chimp with pistol action!
Feb 4, 2014 7:52 AM

Dec 2012
This was another epic episode indeed.
I like seeing Crocodile helping Luffy. Don't know why. It's always great to see bad guys doing something good :)
Garp............. :( :( :( :(
Sep 9, 2014 3:18 PM

Jan 2014
So complicated, the choices that would eventually pitch (grand) father against (grand) son over the fate of one's brother. And the added complexity of alliances. I mean, the Navy stands for justice (with a darker side that acts as enforcers for the elite class of Celestial Dragons and suppressors of the Secret History) and pirates stand for freedom (with a darker side like Crocodile who practically destroyed a nation). Which side is right? Which side is worth fighting for?
Oct 9, 2014 1:45 PM

Jan 2014
Grandpa and grandson face off.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 10, 2014 7:50 AM

Oct 2013
Holy shit Garp,i bet he would let Luffy pass.

Jun 17, 2015 8:07 AM

Jun 2015
Garp!!! get outta luffy's way
Jul 28, 2016 7:59 AM

Mar 2015
That's right, Luffy. You can't expect everyone to just let you pass just cause you want them to
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 5:18 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Emiko_Chan said:
yay Ace's finally putting up a less pathetic face... now hes sexy again

Pardon me, but he is not in a good situation. His face made my heart cry xD

May 1, 2019 6:52 AM

Jun 2016
First things first, I have to mention how bad the art and animation looked this episode. It kept taking me out of it, especially that sequence where Ivan was running with Luffy and Luffy was off model with his mouth wide open for like 5 seconds straight.

Other than that, intense episode. Garp said "like I thought, he was born with it!", meaning conquerors haki is something in his blood from Dragon presumably. I don't know how I feel about this, the more we go on the more it feels like a plot armor device without clear rules which Luffy has because he won the genetic lottery. I assume he will master it and it will have defined rules but for the time being it's just a way to save Luffy or his friends when things get bad, it's happened like that thrice now. Also, the WB's said that it's the same power as Whitebeard and Shanks has. But we still didn't see Hancock or Whitebeard use it to knock people out so perhaps that's special to Luffy, Shanks, and Rayleigh...

Whitebeard was cool this episode but I do feel we practically saw this already. Whitebeard says 'keep that boy alive' and we see Hancock, the Whitebeard commanders, and Luffy's friends save him time and time again as he runs for Ace. I didn't mind it, as a lot of progress has been made since they initially landed here, I just thought it was notable. Either way, out of all the people who saved Luffy this time Crocodile and Mr.1 stood out to me, my jaw dropped when that happened! it was big for Mr.1 to risk his life fighting for Luffy but for Crocodile to personally save Luffy was so shocking to me!!!

I guess the two things I want to mention regarding that is that Mihawk cut Mr.1 like he was made of flesh. I guess perhaps he has haki so he can get through powers, but if not and maybe regardless he showed just how strong is, to even cut Mr.1, Zoro had to try really dang hard. The other thing is that I don't see what exactly Crocodile gets from this. He went from wanting to kill Whitebeard himself to realizing how weak Whitebeard was and I think he wanted to fight WB at his best so he decided to help Whitebeard fight Sengoku instead. I suppose the way Whitebeard wins this and gets out is if Ace is saved, and therefore if he helps Luffy he gets his own way. My theory is that Crocodile wants to become the king but only to surpass Whitebeard and to do that in an unearned way is not worth it at all. That's my guess anyways and I thought that scene was great. Mr.1 may be mostly a stoic and loyal follower of Crocodile but the fact that both are these pillars of unwavering confidence who keep to themselves while being way bad ass is so fun. I wonder what he and Mr.1 have been through to be that close, Mr.1 has some serious loyalty towards Crocodile in a way his other agents didn't hold. Maybe they're like childhood friends...

As Luffy got closer and closer I had two worries. 1. Luffy will probably have to fight Garp. Instead of stopping his grandson from being killed he may have to go further and fight another to the death so his other grandson will be killed. How tragic and awful... and 2. If push comes to shove can't Sengoku be the one who kills Ace? The goal in my understanding is to execute the son of Roger but they knew they wouldn't get away with that so they used him to get the upper hand against the Whitebeard's. If they are about to lose their trump card of Ace I don't see why Sengoku doesn't just take a fallen weapon and chop his head himself.

And the first fear came true, as it had to, but Luffy didn't seem ready for it. When he realized to save someone he loves he'd have to fight someone else that he loves it got to him. Normally he fights people he hates for the people he loves or at least people he's indifferent to. Here he's in the tragic situation of taking down someone he doesn't want to so he can save his brother. It's very Saint Seiya, even the themes of Garps duty bound action and the emotions that pull at that.

That moment Inazuma was revealed to have been in Ivan's hair, wine glass and all, was such a Jojo moment. Now, I may be wrong I'm not a huge Jojo guy but it was the immediate vibe I got. It was so shockingly absurd and funny yet treated as completely serious in the anime.

P.S. I wonder if Buggy will make another game changer!
May 1, 2019 6:56 AM

Jun 2016
GanbatteBakemono said:
So complicated, the choices that would eventually pitch (grand) father against (grand) son over the fate of one's brother. And the added complexity of alliances. I mean, the Navy stands for justice (with a darker side that acts as enforcers for the elite class of Celestial Dragons and suppressors of the Secret History) and pirates stand for freedom (with a darker side like Crocodile who practically destroyed a nation). Which side is right? Which side is worth fighting for?

This post is a brilliant contextualizing of the ongoing events. I have often discussed morality in One Piece and this post is like the greatest summary of that I've read. So succinct and sweet. TY!!!
Sep 26, 2020 11:32 AM

May 2016
Garp just had to interrupt his grandson's morning jog with his friends at the most crucial moment... Luffy having to choose between his grandfather and his brother is a very hard situation to be in.

This episode was rather awkwardly paced. It was unnecessarily stretched but at least he actually made it to his destination this time~

May 30, 2021 11:28 AM

Jun 2019
Garp is in front of Luffy. Luffy has to push through.
Aug 29, 2022 12:47 AM

Apr 2018
Ace is freeee! He's looking mighty fine!
Jun 20, 2023 9:00 AM
Oct 2019
Crocodile save Luffy? šŸ˜±
And I'm actually clapping for Crocodile. LMAO

Oh no Garp vs Luffy.
This is so sad.
Jul 12, 2023 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
When Luffy got poisoned and had to recover it was one of the greatest moments in One Piece. Ivankov got poisoned but he got a lucky break as when he got poisoned it was with only 1 type. Now Inazuma has also recovered? This really downplays Luffy’s courage.
Sep 6, 2023 6:26 AM
Sep 2023
Oh boy Luffy v Garp???!!!
Nov 23, 2023 2:23 PM

Mar 2017
Hammock: “Love is like a hurricane!”
Sentomaru: “What are you talking about!” xD

And Luffy finally made it off the treadmill thanks to Mr Scissorhands. But Garp stands in the way.. I actually love Garp. Such a badass old man. Looking forward to the next episode.
Dec 14, 2023 9:39 PM

May 2019
Again with the bloodline crap. I don't want Luffy to be strong because he's the "chosen one". One Piece is better than that and besides it goes against all the themes in One Piece! I'm getting shades of Naruto going off the rails. I want Luffy to be strong because he always tries his hardest damnit, and that itself creates miracles. He already lucked out getting the Will of D (whatever that is), it's lame he gets conqueror's haki simply by right of birth.

I don't mind bloodline stuff in general (e.g., Hancock's is fine), I just think it's anti-thematic for it to be a huge plot point of Luffy's. Makes me appreciate Zoro more. And Sanji. I hope we don't end up finding out they're secret descendants of famous warriors...

Edit: I'll grant I might end up with egg on my face. There's no *proof* Dragon is Luffy's father. Maybe it's Shanks, he looks a lot more like Shanks anyway and personality-wise is similar too. And Shanks has conqueror's Haki as well.
Pure-SpiritDec 14, 2023 9:59 PM
Dec 14, 2023 9:43 PM

May 2019
Reply to Billzor
I'm seriously beginning to loose faith in the OP anime. They release these kinds of episodes when we all know what they can accomplish if they actually try...

Animation was just pure crap and the pacing is slower than a handicapped snail that has been welded to the ground. And they on top of that have the nerve to place buggy in every other scene where he basically just is there for 5 minutes, and is nothing but a complete waste of everyones time.

All the completely awesome moments from the manga have been utterly destroyed by these elements and is frankly pissing all over the masterpiece that is supposed to be one piece.

I'm sorely disappointed.

Here's to one piece taking a long break from the anime and then coming back when they've rediscovered how it should be done.
The One Piece anime has always been bad from a technical perspective. I can't recall a single arc that wasn't bloated and mis-paced.

Even still, I enjoy the anime, if I treat it less as its own thing and more of a "bring the manga to life" it's a lot more fun. It's good because the manga is good.
Pure-SpiritDec 14, 2023 9:55 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Egghead's pacing has been spectacular!

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

4 by Sagepool »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joe1991 - Sep 19, 2008

112 by TheStarscream759 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 992 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Sep 18, 2021

83 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Would you some day completely rewatch OP?

Zimmu - Mar 13

41 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 357 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 12, 2008

45 by bakakisima »»
5 hours ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.