Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2007 9:27 PM

Nov 2004
Wow so thats where the title comes from =P When the song was playing all i could think was "what is that song, i know it!". We played this song a lot when I played trombone in the schools marching band like 5 years ago or so =)
Jan 6, 2007 3:13 AM

May 2006
Yeah...

I was quite surprised to see that scar on Sayuri's wrist though... It was a very nice episode, and rather tpuching,

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths
Jan 8, 2007 9:00 PM

Dec 2006
Wow, episode 14 was intense. I enjoyed it (obviously).
Jan 12, 2007 11:00 PM

Mar 2005
lol yea they've played Pachelbel's Kanon from the very first episode. I love it. I have no idea why they didn't do it the first time around (nor explain the title of the anime either...wtf?!)

KyoAni's doing an amazing job. Mai wasn't one of my favorite stories the first time around because it seemed like Toei kicked a lot of her story to the curb (and that's exactly wat happened). This time around though, her story's much more fleshed out, and it's exhilarating to watch. :)
Jan 12, 2007 11:29 PM

Nov 2004
wildebeest0001 said:
lol yea they've played Pachelbel's Kanon from the very first episode.

Hmm weird, I didn't notice
Feb 1, 2008 7:05 AM

Oct 2007
Best part was at 3:22
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2008 12:59 PM
Oct 2007
That scar on Sayuri's wrist...
Mai tried to kill herself too...

Damn...
Mar 23, 2008 9:17 PM

Jun 2007
Best episode yet. Man, what a wild ride! From Sayuri's story and her brother (T_T) to the showdown at the school, it was incredibly well put together.

I would never have the courage required to go into the school alone at night, though, especially if I found a faucet running in the bathroom...

Seeing Sayuri hurt was heart stopping for a moment; Mai coming apart was touching to watch.

Loved it!
Mar 27, 2008 11:28 AM

Dec 2007
So many things to touch on in this episode, it was one of the best ones yet.

When Ayu had the jam I really wished that it had showed her reaction.

I had no idea that no Japanese nouns began with "N" but since I'm learning Japanese come summer I would've found out eventually.

I didn't see any scar on Sayuri's wrist (probably just due to bad video quality) but seeing her grab it was enough to get the point across.

I always wondered where the show got it's name from and now I do, the song always plays when they're in the cafe but I had never made the connection with it being the title of the show.

Mai finally shows some emotions, and almost kills herself as well.

#NBHNC
Jun 20, 2008 6:08 PM

Jun 2008
wow i'm so glad sayuri wawsn't killed, i had that feeling last episode but luckily it was just injuries... but oh the past... what happened in the past, we know sayuri's past, and matoko, and a little bit on ayu but yuuichi still has a whole lot more conveniently represed memories...

First Sig built from scratch 2nd overall^^^
Aug 11, 2008 9:58 PM
Feb 2008
i so thought sayuri was dead. the way they put the blood all over the floor and all that. wow, and all of this happened on mai's birthday! go figure...
Aug 30, 2008 2:55 PM

Jun 2008
my favorite episode so far. i didn't really like the makoto arc very much, but its really got me hooked now.
Sep 30, 2008 2:33 PM

Aug 2008
Aokaado said:
Wow so thats where the title comes from =P When the song was playing all i could think was "what is that song, i know it!". We played this song a lot when I played trombone in the schools marching band like 5 years ago or so =)

I know! Now the tittle "Kanon" makes sence to me!! Key and Kyoto are fabulous!!
Anyway this episode left me TOTALLY speechless! It was really intence and touching, very enjoyable overall. Best Kanon episode so far, too. Now Mai is my second most favorite character from Knaon, first one being Ayu ;)
Since I see no Poll again, I rate this episode at 10/5, or ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ stars.
Oct 30, 2008 9:20 PM

Jul 2008
Holy tolito, Batman. This episode...

The story of Sayuri's brother... really sad. But a happy kind of sad at the end.

I seriously /jumped out of my chair/ and stared at the screen with my mouth hanging wide open after a huge gasp... when I saw Sayuri on the floor with blood. I'm so glad she isn't dead.

Mai coming apart... so well done. Really. This is beginning to replace Clannad as my top drama. Great episode!!
Oct 30, 2008 9:22 PM

Jul 2008
ShellySaurus said:
Holy tolito, Batman. This episode...

The story of Sayuri's brother... really sad. But a happy kind of sad at the end.

I seriously /jumped out of my chair/ and stared at the screen with my mouth hanging wide open after a huge gasp... when I saw Sayuri on the floor with blood. I'm so glad she isn't dead.

Mai coming apart... so well done. Really. This is beginning to replace Clannad as my top drama. Great episode!!

I wasn't that shocked, but still, that caught my eye and i was like OMFG. she did not-
Website http://akariREMOVED.co.cc/sig/sig.php is reporting as Malware.
Nov 5, 2008 8:04 AM
Jun 2008
This episode was so good!
For now, Mai is my favourite character =)

In that moment I thought Sayuri was dead... >.< Fortunately, she wasn't =D

However, I wish we had more of Ayu and others...

Well, looking forward the next episode
Dec 12, 2008 4:41 AM

Jan 2008
Oh god, episode was intense. I hope they'll finish those demons off and Sayuri is ok ;__;
Jan 2, 2009 4:51 AM

Mar 2008
Well, that's wasn't a very fun birthday for Mai, I reckon.

I was like "*gasp* Omg! Wtf! Elfen Lied! Wait, she's dead! ='[" when I saw Sayuri, with blood and stuff lying around her. But luckily she managed to stay alive and I hope she'll have a good recovery. ^_^
I'm actually happy she knew about all the stuff with Mai. She's her best friend and I'm not very surprised she had noticed, but this just shows how terribly close their relationship is.
Jan 10, 2009 10:35 AM

Nov 2007
I totally thought Sayuri was dead but right before I burst into tears they showed the hospital scene and I took a HUGE sigh of relief >_> but I did cry when Sayuri and her brother were playing

Feb 5, 2009 2:01 PM

Jun 2008
one of the best episodes. I think Sayuri and Kazuya's story is by far the saddest story in Kanon
Feb 13, 2009 1:32 PM

Feb 2009
kei-clone said:
I have no idea why they didn't do it the first time around (nor explain the title of the anime either...wtf?!)

KyoAni's doing an amazing job. Mai wasn't one of my favorite stories the first time around because it seemed like Toei kicked a lot of her story to the curb (and that's exactly wat happened). This time around though, her story's much more fleshed out, and it's exhilarating to watch. :)

I agree with each of your words!!!

KyoAni's made an excelent job, now i'm really happy that i've decided to see Kanon (2006)!!! Mai's arc is really better now ^.^

But, they could've made secret that Sayuri survived until the next episode, just like in Toei's Kanon... I certainly would cry!!
BlowITAFeb 13, 2009 1:52 PM
Anime ga daaaai suki!!! Computer Engineering. Japan is awesome!!!
Mar 27, 2009 7:42 AM

Aug 2008
That was the best episode so far! Simply amazing!
Apr 18, 2009 12:26 AM

Nov 2007
That was probably my favorite episode so far, the revisit to Sayuri's past the scene where Mai showed the most emotion I've seen so far, but this is probably leading to the conclusion to the arc next episode =/ noooo.
Apr 21, 2009 6:55 AM

Jan 2009
I wasn't really expecting Sayuri to be lying on the floor in a bloody mess, that totally caught me off and for a second i thought she was dead
Apr 25, 2009 8:35 PM
Apr 2009
I don't know why but I'm feeling someone is gonna die before the end of Mai's arc. Maybe Mai.
I hope not though.
Jul 16, 2009 11:30 AM

Jun 2009
I was suspecting that the title made reference to Pachelbel's song, however, I'm pretty sure that Canon is spelled with a "C" not a "K".

And the end was pretty dramatic too, for a moment I thought that Sayuri was dead with all that blood spilled on the floor. Also, Mai's reaction was very shocking.
Oct 6, 2009 12:04 PM
Sep 2009
i was getting really upset towards the end, i'm glad sayuri is ok XD, and i just downloaded canon (the song that's on tv but no bady knew the name of, until now)
Jan 17, 2010 8:28 AM

Apr 2009
Getting better. Mai is a far more intruiging character than Makoto for me.

Although I get the feeling that he will eventually end up with Shiori. Ayu doesn't fit in with the vibe the anime is giving. Hope its less predictable than that ^^
Feb 27, 2010 2:07 PM

Jan 2010
damn this ep was amazing :D
the best serious episode yet :)...Kanon is currently 10/10 for me and the best anime i;ve ever watched(after clannad)

so that's why the anime is called Kanon eh?i love real life references in fiction ^_^

Mai grew for me in these 2 episodes,and from one of the few characters i didn't like,she is one of my favorites now :)

snyway,i have the feeling that alot of important things were revealed in this episode,but i can;t yet make any connexions...

looking forward to ep#15 :)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 1, 2010 8:22 PM

Mar 2010
It was a good episode. I was shocked when I saw Sayuri on laying on a puddle of blood in the bathroom. I thought she died. The scene where Mai lost her composure was one of my favorites.
Aug 20, 2010 8:24 AM
Jul 2010
martino said:
Yeah...

I was quite surprised to see that scar on Sayuri's wrist though... It was a very nice episode, and rather tpuching,
Subtitles be damned, I totally missed that! Had to go back and skim through the episode again to spot that detail. I hope it's from the demon attack and that she's not cutting herself or anything. Wouldn't surprise me if she did though, she's a girl and full of guilt for not treating her little brother better while he was still alive.

Zerachroma said:
That scar on Sayuri's wrist...
Mai tried to kill herself too...

Damn...
Sayuri never tried to kill herself though. She's a smart girl and would slit her veins the correct way if that was indeed her intention. You cut yourself across the wrist to inflict physical pain in order to dampen any mental/emotional pain. At least that's my understanding.

But Mai's suicide attempt really surprised me, she got very emotional this episode. But I had thought she was more of a warrior than that. I can accept her wanting to kill herself out of a sense of failure to protect someone she holds dear (although I don't agree, it's her decision), but not before seeking revenge on the demons responsible. Even then, Mai still did her best so I wouldn't hold her responsible at all (and otherwise she seems quite reasonable, albeit not very social), but I suppose that's the Japanese/Samurai culture of honor, a non-traditional seppuku you know?

AleM said:
I was suspecting that the title made reference to Pachelbel's song, however, I'm pretty sure that Canon is spelled with a "C" not a "K".
Correct. :P

Up until this episode I thought the show's title "Kanon" simply referred to it being a canon of all of its episodes (which in turn have musical names/allude to musical terms).
JvW4Aug 20, 2010 8:54 AM
Sep 3, 2010 12:38 PM

Aug 2010
such a moving episode :'(

love how they reference pachelbel's canon in d

its good how they explained why sayuri talks about herself in 3rd person. soo glad she wasn't killed.

poor mai :(
"Fun things...Happy things...They'll all...They'll all eventually change some day, you know? But can you still love this place?" - Nagisa
Sep 13, 2010 9:18 AM

Aug 2008
It's strange how I cried at Sayuri's story and not for Makoto's, one of the main heroines.
Nov 15, 2010 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
I have to say, episode 13 was ok but it had some cheesy moments. Episode 14 was great, and I like Mai's arc. Looking forward to watching episode 15!
Dec 9, 2010 1:56 PM

May 2010
I heard the song before too, didn't know it was called Pachelbel's Canon, though ^^
Didn't notice that scar :o
And I almost thought Sayuri was dead when I saw all the blood on the floor :o
AleM said:

I guess because Romaji doesn't have a C. Maybe the Japanese don't even know the difference ^^
dedean16Dec 9, 2010 2:12 PM
Jan 24, 2011 9:36 AM

Aug 2010
I was shocked after I saw Sayuri lies on the fllor. I thought she was dead
uhh........ That was close
Jan 29, 2011 1:40 AM

Jan 2010
oh i deffinetely remember this episode:)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 28, 2011 4:30 AM

Sep 2008
Probably the best episode yet. Flew by pretty fast.

Animation was nice too.
May 16, 2011 3:56 PM

Nov 2009
oh noes poor Sayuri!!! when she was on the ground i thought she was dead! i was so freaked out!!! i hope that was just sauce or something of that sort and not blood... i hope she lives... omg that story with her brother was SO SAD! i almost cried but for some reason i can't seem to... i can't believe he died X'{ at least they were able to play together be4 then... oh yeah and poor Sayuri was yelled at to leave their training... that was a little mean of Mai... well a funny thing in the anime was that game they were playing... that was funny... i don't know how they play it though haha oh yeah lol and its funny how he's like "The way that stuff taste it has to be a cure for cancer or something." XD well i hope everyone gets better!
Nov 21, 2011 5:02 AM

Jul 2011
Hmmm what scar?

When I saw Sayuri laying there on the floor oh man, I was about to cry but then I heard she will live!

Great episode, probably my favorite!
Dec 14, 2011 1:31 PM

Jan 2011
blackblue40 said:
Hmmm what scar?

When I saw Sayuri laying there on the floor oh man, I was about to cry but then I heard she will live!

Great episode, probably my favorite!

You probably already noticed after this time..

But for anyone else looking for it, look at her hands in the close-up after she's finished telling of her past.
Feb 12, 2012 8:14 AM
Nov 2011
I think I cried twice. When Sayuri tells her story, and then when Mei cried, I lost it.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
May 18, 2012 5:26 AM

Jan 2012
I thought Sayuri got smoked at first. Glad she didn't though. Series is definitely better during the second half :P
Lemme smang it girl.
Jun 11, 2012 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
Looks like I wasn't the only one to think Sayuri was dead there. I figured she would at least have fatal injuries, and she would die so she could go be with her brother in the afterlife. That's what I was expecting them to have happen anyway. Great and emotional episode, especially the flashback. If the story continues like this, it's getting a 10. Next episode looks really action-packed. I'm guessing Mai's arc will last another 2 episodes. Can't wait to see how she ties into the past.
Aug 13, 2012 4:20 AM

May 2012
Such a nice episode and very emotional back story about Sayuri!
What they merged all together in 1 episode they did here in 2! I hoped for a good bday party though and not that horrible ending! But yea it's a main part of the story.

Really sad ending and a very emotional episode in global! Really loved it :D
Aug 13, 2012 4:04 PM

May 2011
So much heavy impact in this anime. Where the hell is the poll for this episode? I feel a strong urge to give this a 5!
Aug 14, 2012 4:07 PM
Aug 2012
can't believe how real it got when the demon got to saori...
Aug 14, 2012 4:07 PM
Aug 2012
can't believe how real it got when the demon got to saori...
Aug 15, 2012 8:25 PM

Nov 2011
Oh my god ,if Saori was dead, this anime would be SOOOOOO intense!!!!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 8, 2012 4:02 PM

Nov 2009
I really thought Saori had gotten ripped in half by that demon, but why was she only slightly injured? can these big bad demons not kill?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Kanon (2006) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kei-clone - Dec 15, 2006

57 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 22, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

63 by metalrain_15 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

162 by asbest0sdust »»
Feb 29, 4:21 AM

» Kanon (2006) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aokaado - Dec 30, 2006

83 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 31, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

82 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 30, 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.