Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2021 10:02 PM

Oct 2019
i Know it's not masterpiece But below 7 is really seem like people downvote it just because they hate Netflix or something?
not gonna lie it's pretty decent it should be more than 7
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 28, 2021 10:56 PM
Jul 2015
Most of people rate it like they feeling so basically it's a popularity poll. And this title was not popular. A friend rate anime using several criteria: quality of the animation, script, character development, direction, etc., but I think most people just put a number because they're feeling that way.
Jun 28, 2021 10:59 PM

Jan 2009
the monsters especially Godzilla is 3DCG

a lot of anime fans hates 3DCG or are 2D animation purists

the science stuff got too much exposition and the jargons they are using are hard to understand until the end and there is barely enough screen time for Godzilla action especially in the end

Jun 28, 2021 11:09 PM

Aug 2007
It's a decent show, but not enough Godzilla.
"Dumb people are worse than bad people."
Jun 28, 2021 11:27 PM

Jun 2015
The show itself was fine. It wasn’t bad at all and is something I’d probably recommend to someone who appreciates Godzilla as well as anime and has a Netflix account. With that said, most people who will flock to this might enjoy Godzilla or have a level of appreciation for the franchise. Plus, most diehard fans for anime who will rate a show a 10/10 may not do the same for this show because it doesn’t quite have all the elements of what makes something a universal appeal and that same fan of AoT, FMA, OP etc. may not find the same enjoyment here. Anime fans and Godzilla fans are not 1:1.

I didn’t think this show depicted itself too well. I didn’t quite have that same feeling I’d normally receive from other adaptations either. This is certainly not even close to what I’d consider near the upper echelon of Godzilla material either. Again, it was a fine adaptation and there were moments I really liked, but I’m giving it a realistic score. Which a 6 isn’t even bad, but again, it’ll look bad amongst the rest of MAL sense there are a lot of people you give really high ratings to most of the popular shows that are well liked anyway, but I’m just generalizing there.
Jun 29, 2021 3:39 PM

Nov 2017
Probably cause of all that scientific explanations going on in every episode.

The CGI and soundtrack was good tho. I really liked the song.
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Jun 29, 2021 8:19 PM

Aug 2013
Well, the plot is pretty convoluted, often jarring to follow. I'm not even sure if it all made any real sense. I loved that they introduced such a crazy plot and concepts into something that should have been just mindless fun (and still is) and didn't just create artificial complexity through a confusing narrative, but I understand why people didn't like it.
Jun 29, 2021 11:03 PM

Sep 2014
I very much think it was all the technobabble, it takes up much of the episodes and factors in so heavily into the plot, with it all leading to kind of an unsatisfying finale, which ends up killing peoples interest. Plus if you are a huge Godzilla fan like I am, Godzilla isn't in the show a whole lot really. It does look good, soundtrack is good, but I personally wouldn't rate it more than like a 6 or 7 at best.
Jul 2, 2021 8:27 PM
Mar 2021
Currently on ep5. This shit is amazing. A 9 so far for, up there w NGE, personally. And being a Physics major, this show is geektastic.
Jul 3, 2021 8:02 AM
Sep 2017
cobainmybrains said:
Currently on ep5. This shit is amazing. A 9 so far for, up there w NGE, personally. And being a Physics major, this show is geektastic.

Yes. I second that. No physics major, but into the topic as much a I can get. This anime is amazing!!!
Jul 3, 2021 8:02 AM
Sep 2017
cobainmybrains said:

Yes. I second that. No physics major, but into the topic as much a I can get. This anime is amazing!!!
Jul 3, 2021 8:31 AM
Apr 2017
To be honest, I feel a large amount of the people who call this pseudo science and such are being filtered in real time. While Archetype being a fictional material excludes this from being Hard Science, the science presented is not only real, but extremely relevant for the show. As a science fiction mystery show, the explanations are key to discovering the answers, thus that if you were actually keeping note of all the stuff, you'd realize by episode 10 or so how episode 13 will play out.
Jul 3, 2021 9:43 AM
Jun 2013
I was excited for a Godzilla anime featuring Jet Jaguar at first, but at the end of it all, (even though I understood... enough of what was happening, scientifically speaking) it wasn't what I was looking for from a Godzilla anime.

It didn't have enough Godzilla to stir me as a Godzilla fan (though the last few episodes were GREAT, and the music was top) and it didn't have enough of what I look for in anime.

I thought it was better than the 3rd anime Godzilla movie, at the very least (which I rated 6), but it wasn't as good as any of the other anime I rated at 8, so it's a hard 7 from me.

For a non-Godzilla fan, I'm not sure they would find Godzilla SP all that enjoyable. Even for a Godzilla fan, it's a tough sell
Jul 3, 2021 11:37 AM
Mar 2021
WhiteRaven1989 said:
cobainmybrains said:

Yea like if you have a basic understanding of like AP Physics even, this show becomes a lot more interesting. The dialogue was a bit fast, but I am going to fix that with the eventual rewatch.

And me being a long time Gojira fan, is just icing on the cake for me.
Jul 3, 2021 5:35 PM

Jul 2016
It was a slow burn. I ended up having a lot of fun by the end but the first five or episodes are a lot of information to process with big brain science talk. Once Godzilla showed up I felt like things really got rolling and it had some great moments. A solid 7/10 for me and I'm looking forward to season two. I might rewatch it dubbed, as I heard the dub is pretty solid, to maybe get a better grasp of all the science babble going on since they talk a mil a minute during those text scenes.

Though one thing I've learned here is not to take MAL scores too seriously.
Jul 4, 2021 2:31 PM

Jul 2015
Well honestly. Last week I watched the Godzilla trilogy and today I finally finished SP. To me I liked it a lot. Both the animation (I like the CGI) and the kaiju design, as well as the drawing style, the plot and the approach to the world of Godzilla and even the complicated explanations ... I like all that. Maybe I liked it because I'm not the one typical veteran Godzilla fan. In fact, I am grateful that there is not so much action (the scenes of the robot fighting get to me a bit tired) and that instead there are many explanations.

The only complaint I have is that sometimes there are really too many explanations, these are very complex and confusing. I have not understood well why everything that has happened hahahaha. So now I come to the forum to resolve the doubts that I have left! Without a doubt, I would need to see some chapters again to understand everything. I also think that sometimes the solutions come too quickly and conveniently, in a forced (and confusing) way and for this reason I liked the second part of the anime less. The first chapters, when the Kaiju start to appear and the problems and conflicts begin to develop, I love it. I could give it an 8, but I found it very original and I think this is the way to go for Netflix, so I give it a 9 to continue to support the creation of quality original works.

itsTomokocchi said:
Though one thing I've learned here is not to take MAL scores too seriously.

Totally this. Thanks to Godzilla trilogy and SP, I have realized that I am missing tons of anime with 6-7 or even less rating. This is not the first time that happen to me, so I will start checking some low score animes, definitely.
BelselJul 4, 2021 2:35 PM
Jul 5, 2021 7:39 AM

Aug 2010
It's not complicated, a lot of people just thought it was boring.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jul 7, 2021 3:00 PM

Jul 2008
1: Not enough Godzilla.
2: Characters are either extremely bland, unlikable animu stock characters, or so annoying you want to punch your screen.
3: Plot moves at a snails pace.
4: Hamfisted exposition where everybody is constantly explaining everything they're doing and why, while the actual mysterious parts of the plot never even gets a trail of breadcrumbs.
5: Not enough action, too much time wasted on boring nonsense such as watching two characters chat with each other on multiple occasions.

This show is mediocre at best and I keep finding myself zoning out. I've watched seven episodes and it has been an absolute slog so far.

EDIT: So I just watched the eight episode and it actually picked up a little, for the first time I'm actually interested in the next episode. Sure, it's still not particularly good, but at least it dialed back on the suck.
AfterGlowJul 7, 2021 3:42 PM
Jul 9, 2021 8:05 AM
Jan 2021
I can't say I really loved this series, but I also wouldn't say I disliked it either. My biggest complaint is how hard it is to wrap my head around all the science jargon. I'm hoping that if/when there's a season 2 it'll focus less on science talk now that a lot of the groundwork has been laid out.

A few things I really like about this show though, are the character designs, art style, and music as well as how they interpret Godzilla's atomic breath. Those giant rings that come from its mouth are a sweet effect!
Scoots134Jul 9, 2021 8:10 AM
Jul 9, 2021 11:17 AM

Jun 2019
KamikazeKeeg said:
I very much think it was all the technobabble, it takes up much of the episodes and factors in so heavily into the plot, with it all leading to kind of an unsatisfying finale, which ends up killing peoples interest. Plus if you are a huge Godzilla fan like I am, Godzilla isn't in the show a whole lot really. It does look good, soundtrack is good, but I personally wouldn't rate it more than like a 6 or 7 at best.

It's not "babble" though. I'm not sure why people feel the need to say this about anything they don't understand or don't care to want to try to understand as if to dismiss it? Not understanding something or not being interested in it enough to attempt to pay attention and maybe even learn something doesn't mean it's nonsense or gibberish. There are legitimately cases of series which do employ pseudo-scientific concepts/understandings attempting to pass them off and pseudo-intellectual dialogue and themes in general and can and should be specifically criticized on that basis alone, but this isn't one of them.
Jul 13, 2021 9:21 PM

Sep 2014
WatchTillTandava said:
It's not "babble" though. I'm not sure why people feel the need to say this about anything they don't understand or don't care to want to try to understand as if to dismiss it? Not understanding something or not being interested in it enough to attempt to pay attention and maybe even learn something doesn't mean it's nonsense or gibberish. There are legitimately cases of series which do employ pseudo-scientific concepts/understandings attempting to pass them off and pseudo-intellectual dialogue and themes in general and can and should be specifically criticized on that basis alone, but this isn't one of them.

I only know it is not "babble" because of some random commenter on the forums here, as it's not clear that it has some grounding in real physics, especially when much of the show involves time travel, orthogonal diagonalizer's, giant monsters, singing bones, singularity super computers, a giant robot, and AI that can pretty much do whatever it wants. It's going to be much the same for most people watching too. Even knowing this post-show, it doesn't improve anything, I still think the science talk drags more than it adds to the show. This also doesn't mean I need a dumbed down show that is nothing but action, Shin Godzilla is pretty good and that movie gets pretty dry, but it never dragged for me in the same way.
KamikazeKeegJul 13, 2021 9:28 PM
Jul 14, 2021 9:40 AM

Sep 2019
idk, i'm just loving this show even tho ep 9 got kinda dense (is where i'm at rn) but i kinda get the idea whats going on based on their explanations, I just love the fact that this shit is like watching "Evolution" but if it was done properly and not the comedy riddle shitfest we got from that movie
Jul 15, 2021 11:47 PM
Jun 2021
I gave it a 7, mainly because my brain isn't big enough to comprehend the show itself/ how the conflict was resolved.
I'll probably give the last half a re-watch cause all that science mumbo-jumbo confused the hell outta me. But I feel like it made "sense"
Even tho I didn't get it fully get it, if that makes sense lol

Edit: that lullaby has been stuck in my head all day
PharqwadJul 15, 2021 11:59 PM
Jul 27, 2021 7:14 AM

Nov 2019
The cover image makes it look like a B-movie type action series, when in reality it's a theory-heavy mystery/thriller based on actual scientific concepts.

They wanted dumb/schlocky fun and instead got a TED talk. The disappointment is understandable.
Aug 21, 2021 4:39 PM
Apr 2008
I gave it a 4. There were very interesting concepts at the beginning as well as very nice art and music on one hand. But on the other:

- the truly interesting concepts like the time supercomputer were literally drowned in a ton of pseudo-science. And this is in a show that until the end was trying to be a hard sci-fi
- too big of a dissonance between monster fighting and sci-fi sides. They don't really fit each other, so almost half of the show was incredibly boring.
- the characters are not developed at all, even though on the surface they aren't typical for anime at all! such a shame
- the direction is non-existent, it is merely an emotionally disparate scene after scene without any feelings at all. During the whole run I literally couldn't give a buck about what will happen to the heroes. The latter two points show that, at least for me, even in a scientifically nerdy series you still have to do dramaturgy and emotion of sorts for it to be enjoyable.

This could've been a kaiju x hard sci-fi masterpiece if they would have executed it differently...
Someone compared this to Shin Godzilla. Yeah, this is truly not a favorable comparison.
Aug 22, 2021 3:28 AM

Nov 2019
Dracus said:
- the truly interesting concepts like the time supercomputer were literally drowned in a ton of pseudo-science.

Which parts of it, specifically, were pseudoscience rather than actual scientific theory?

Other than the fact the theory was able to be implemented, obviously.
Aug 26, 2021 4:44 PM

Oct 2008
I liked it enough to give it a 7/10.
Sep 2, 2021 9:55 PM

Oct 2008
No characters other than jet jaguar really had any character development. 90% of the dialogue was just explaining the science of the show and it didn't really matter who was talking about it, it just felt like they randomly split it up between characters to make it feel like they were talking. It also made it seem like every character was some sort of science genius, which doesn't come across as very realistic
Sep 12, 2021 11:38 PM

Oct 2019
LanceKelz said:
i Know it's not masterpiece But below 7 is really seem like people downvote it just because they hate Netflix or something?
not gonna lie it's pretty decent it should be more than 7

because people don't appreciate good si-fi. the fact that most godzilla stuff are just big monsters go brrrr, didn't help getting the right audience either. I think this would have a much higher score if it was advertised as being a hard core si-fi.

i think the low score is just the result of the wrong people watching this.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 18, 2021 5:32 PM
Oct 2020
Because the technobabble can be an earful to listen to, especially when the content you're watching is visual medium. "Show don't tell" isn't a concrete rule, but it is a more preferred way to convey a story because it helps the viewer follow along.
Dec 14, 2021 5:08 AM
Jan 2021
weeb and otaku who criticize this series, but reward shit like Sword Art Online

Godzilla S.P. has just won a major prize
https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/godzilla-singular-point-nominated-japan-science-fiction-award

this award shows how much the MAL community, but also others outside, do not recognize a good series.

6.69 my ass
Dec 19, 2021 11:28 AM

Feb 2019
Raptor1986 said:

https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/godzilla-singular-point-nominated-japan-science-fiction-award

this award shows how much the MAL community, but also others outside, do not recognize a good series.

6.69 my ass

You do know that sao is one of the most hated anime
Dec 21, 2021 11:26 AM
Jan 2021
Sakuta002766 said:
Raptor1986 said:

6.69 my ass

reaching many sequel and scores higher than this, unfortunately not
Jan 8, 2022 10:12 PM
May 2019
WE ARE TOO STUPID, THAT'S WHY ITS SCORE SO LOW

Western version is more about millitary action

Japanese live action Shin Godzilla is politics

while this anime is more scientist level its hard to understand what they are talking lmao

but i'll give this anime 9/10 the Godzilla and the disaster is scary, and the CGI is great and smooth
Feb 24, 2022 3:58 PM
Feb 2014
I enjoyed but I feel they could have showed more of Godzilla, it's certainly better than the trilogy movie that was made. I give it a 9, I hope a sequel is made, need Mecha Godzilla. I didn't mind that Jetjaguar the protagonist in this but still I rather him and Godzilla be friends not enimes and Yune looks like Gintoki.
Apr 4, 2022 5:14 PM
May 2016
Godzilla is not a very popular character for young people today, especially in the field of animation, moreover, the trilogy written by Gen Urobuchi was too unsuccessful. Godzilla S.P is a mature series, not always at the top and many scientific theories are difficult to understand and also very forced. Singular Point is not a series for everyone.
Apr 24, 2022 2:28 AM

Oct 2019
Sakuta002766 said:
Raptor1986 said:

6.69 my ass

SAO is a series that TONS of people love, with people who understand anything about writing hating on it.

this is a series that most people dislike, but the few people who are into sci-fi or know some stuff about writing and directing like.

for both those cases there are exceptions of course, but that is the norm.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 4, 2022 7:29 AM
Jan 2017
If anyone like this show, that's perfectly fine, more power to you, don't let me rain on your parade. I myself didn't like Singular Point because:

1. the story moves at a snail's pace
  2. the characters are so bland and paper-thin that if you remove some of them, the story itself wouldn't change that much
  3. the technobabble and exposition are confusing rather than accessible
  4. Godzilla himself is irrelevant in his own TV show. Seriously, you could replace him with
    and the story itself wouldn't change that much

I'm pretty sure people will defend this story with something along the lines of "it's setup for season 2" and to that, I say that if you love Singular Point for what it could be rather than for what it already is, then you don't love Singular Point at all. But don't just take my word for it: here is what Omni Viewer has to say on the matter.

May 4, 2022 9:18 AM

Nov 2019
HeroVladimir93 said:
I'm pretty sure people will defend this story with something along the lines of "it's setup for season 2"

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone claim that.

Which is good, because it's a laughable defense: This series tells a completely self-contained story.

the technobabble

Why do people keep saying this? There is no technobabble whatsoever in this series.

All the terms and concepts explored are real, hard (albeit mostly theoretical) science.
May 4, 2022 9:39 AM
Jan 2017
Offkorn said:
HeroVladimir93 said:
I'm pretty sure people will defend this story with something along the lines of "it's setup for season 2"

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone claim that.

Which is good, because it's a laughable defense: This series tells a completely self-contained story.

the technobabble

Why do people keep saying this? There is no technobabble whatsoever in this series.

All the terms and concepts explored are real, hard (albeit mostly theoretical) science.

Last time I checked, there is no science that can explain living, breathing monsters from another dimension.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 3 Discussion

Clas1ck - Apr 7, 2021

45 by alex26gc »»
Jan 16, 9:39 PM

» Gintoki Ripoff Design

EXCLMaker - May 9, 2023

7 by Yugesai »»
Dec 24, 2023 7:36 PM

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Clas1ck - Apr 1, 2021

66 by Destroyer31 »»
Dec 9, 2023 10:41 PM

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 16, 2021

78 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Aug 17, 2023 9:46 AM

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 9 Discussion

Clas1ck - May 19, 2021

41 by JVskunkape »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.