Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2020 6:12 AM
Jan 2020
Is there any anime you think has a superior chara design to others? Why do you think that way?
Jan 25, 2020 6:26 AM
Mar 2018
As absurd as this may sound, but I feel like One Piece has the best character design in anime. It is because its art style is unique and the characters rarely seem generic

But I also feel like Monster's character designs are great too, the characters look realistic and unique as well

Jan 25, 2020 6:44 AM

Jul 2016
Steiner1411 said:
As absurd as this may sound, but I feel like One Piece has the best character design in anime. It is because its art style is unique and the characters rarely seem generic

That's so true and yet people keep hating on it,It's absurd!They don't know how to appreciate good,distinctive character design which one piece is amazing at.
Jan 25, 2020 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka has an amazing character design. Everyone looks so fresh and stylish.

I also love the regional outfits, very charming:

From the latest anime I watched, No Guns Life stands out the most in terms of chara design. I'd say that was the main reason I watched it.
removed-userJan 25, 2020 6:56 AM
Jan 25, 2020 6:51 AM

Aug 2018
I really like the character designs from

One Piece, Gintama & Monogatari.

Jan 25, 2020 7:12 AM

Sep 2019
No Game No Life, i like the vibrant color palletes on the characters. It is amazing... and easily a feast for the eyes.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 25, 2020 7:26 AM
Mar 2018
Missaliensan said:

That's so true and yet people keep hating on it,It's absurd!They don't know how to appreciate good,distinctive character design which one piece is amazing at.

Yeah lol at this point anything that is different than generic styles looks good to me lol
(looking at tatami galaxy)
Jan 25, 2020 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
Nothing beats Queen's Blade. Nothing even comes close.

Nov 2019
from the top of my head, monogatari series, EVA anime designs by sodamoto along with his new 'great pretender', and i also really liked eizouken's simplistic designs/ art style.
there's obviously alot more but i don't think anyone mentioned these
misato > asuka > rei

Dec 2017
Steiner1411 said:

But I also feel like Monster's character designs are great too, the characters look realistic and unique as well

This.

Also, I would like to add xxxHOLiC.
Jan 25, 2020 7:42 AM
Oct 2012
Inazuma Eleven by far, no one looks the same
Jan 25, 2020 7:45 AM
Oct 2018
Yu-Gi-Oh!

5Ds, Zexal, the Original series.

All three of these have great character designs that stand out, especially 5Ds.

Code Geass is also up there for me.
Jan 25, 2020 7:48 AM

Dec 2018
I agree with the people who said One Piece, at least that it's in the running, I don't know that I would necessarily rank it number one overall. Maybe. Definitely in the running, super unique character designs. Some of it is just a bit too over the top for me though and that subtracts from it imo.

Honestly not sure what I would nominate.

HxH is a weird case, with some pretty unique and original character designs, yet on the other hand some characters are complete copy pastes of other characters from other franchises. (gon = kid goku, mereum = cell, evil mind reading chick = android 18). Might have actually nominated this if there weren't so many blatant rip-offs in it, and had the last few arcs not solidified my opinion this show is trash.

Edit: I was speaking entirely on appearance, because I assume that was implied, but if you consider character traits/background/personality etc. to be part of character design I deem Naruto the winner hands down for having characters that both look unique, cool (to me), and have incredible depth and development.
Hokage_JasonJan 25, 2020 7:52 AM
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Jan 25, 2020 7:49 AM

Jan 2019
Bleach had the best character designs.
Best Monster designs, transformation designs, and best Uniforms.

Jan 25, 2020 7:49 AM

May 2019
It's good seeing One Piece getting the love it deserves at least here for its character designs. That's my favourite as well.

Other than one piece, Tokyo Ghoul and KnY also have great character designs.

And then there's obviously Tower of God... but it doesn't have an anime adaptation. Yet.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jan 25, 2020 8:00 AM
Apr 2018
Jojo and Danganronpa are one of the bests.
Jan 25, 2020 8:17 AM

Jul 2016
Hokage_Jason said:

HxH is a weird case, with some pretty unique and original character designs, yet on the other hand some characters are complete copy pastes of other characters from other franchises. (gon = kid goku, mereum = cell, evil mind reading chick = android 18). Might have actually nominated this if there weren't so many blatant rip-offs in it, and had the last few arcs not solidified my opinion this show is trash.

Hisoka´s design is pretty cool tho,his design is one of the ones that jump out to me more compared to the other ones in the show.
Jan 25, 2020 8:30 AM

Sep 2018
I really like the character designs for Monster Musume and Fate Apocrypha. Each character looks very distinct.
Jan 25, 2020 8:41 AM

Apr 2019
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash had really good character designs

as well as Land of the Lustrous

Jan 25, 2020 9:26 AM

Jun 2017
Too many people said One Piece; If we consider only males, yeah it has great character designs but about female characters, like 90% of them are the same...

Anything done by this guy is great. I don't know about others but for me in general mecha anime have better character designs than other anime...
Jan 25, 2020 4:48 PM

Nov 2015
The Fate Franchise. I've never seen such a creative take on historical fantasy. Genderbent characters aside, what other series has so many historical/fictional figures re-imagined as these awesome & ridiculously powerful characters?

White_Hollow said:
No Game No Life, i like the vibrant color palletes on the characters. It is amazing... and easily a feast for the eyes.

Same. NGNL was one of my first anime, and it's still one of my favorites. I've never seen anything with such a vibrant color scheme.
Jan 25, 2020 4:50 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly I'd have to say Soul Eater, all of the characters are super creative, truly distinct, and expressive, with no two looking the same, it's just a treat to look at in all ways.
Jan 25, 2020 4:51 PM

Dec 2014
Missaliensan said:
Steiner1411 said:

well one problem people do have with OP's character designs are the females, especially over time.
Jan 25, 2020 5:17 PM

Sep 2019
TinyTempest said:
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash had really good character designs

as well as Land of the Lustrous

Grimgar is good, it actually fixed the messy character designs the Ln had.

And Houseki no Kuni.... well, i still can't believe i like A 3D Genderless Gems. Obviously the best.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 25, 2020 5:26 PM

Dec 2018
Missaliensan said:
Hokage_Jason said:

Hisoka´s design is pretty cool tho,his design is one of the ones that jump out to me more compared to the other ones in the show.

I agree that's why I say it's a interesting case, it has both really well designed characters, and complete ripoffs. Idk how the author presented something as insultingly copy-paste as mureum when he clearly had talent for making interesting characters. YYH is by the same author and once again, I found some characters really cool there as well like Kurama and Hiei. So it just really baffles me how he did a 180 from amazing to copy/paste.
Lolicons are scum.
Jan 25, 2020 6:36 PM

May 2016
If we're only talking about design then One Piece for sure is the winner, tho the anime looks kinda trash. One of my other favorites would be Haikyuu. I think it's characters are amazingly well designed and drawn.
Jan 25, 2020 6:46 PM

Apr 2015
It's weird trying to judge my character designs alone... Thats a hard one.

The Monogatari series is definitely up there, SSSS.Gridman too. Gridman is an interesting one, because all of the character designs are inspired by old Transformers, for their color schemes and such.

There are a lot, this is too hard for me. I give up
Jan 25, 2020 6:55 PM

Jan 2016
Afro Samurai is as unique as it comes I'd say
Jan 25, 2020 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
Shiki is an utter joy to look at.

Shoot first, think never.
Jan 25, 2020 7:02 PM

Oct 2017
ISOQuorra said:
The Fate Franchise. I've never seen such a creative take on historical fantasy. Genderbent characters aside, what other series has so many historical/fictional figures re-imagined as these awesome & ridiculously powerful characters?

White_Hollow said:

Same. NGNL was one of my first anime, and it's still one of my favorites. I've never seen anything with such a vibrant color scheme.

Hardcore agree on Fate. Why genderbending aside, though? I think it's neat.

Anyway, Saber's design is legendary at this point. She is the still the poster girl for the entire franchise. It's simple but elegant. White and blue, blond hair, green eyes. A small and cute but valiant girl in an armored dress and an invisible sword.

She's such an amazing design she's been copied a bunch of times with small changes.

Tohsaka Rin too. And a similar deal with the copies. I'd even say Ishtar's design looks better on a purely asthetic level.

Big agree on NGNL too. Haven't seen it yet but those character desings are amazing. So many gorgeous figures for that show too. There's a couple I may end up buying before I get around to watching the show. This one in particular still has a while before it's released but it's just amazing:
https://solarisjapan.com/products/eiga-no-game-no-life-zero-jibril-1-8-great-war-ver-good-smile-company

Other anime with amazing designs:
Monogatari Series
Symphogear Series
SSSS Gridman
Kill la Kill

And some recent stuff that, while not as legendary some of the aforementioned stuff, has caught my eye:
No Guns Life
Koisuru Asteroid
Granbelm
Nekopara
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 25, 2020 7:24 PM

Nov 2015
YossaRedMage said:
ISOQuorra said:

Hardcore agree on Fate. Why gender-bending aside, though? I think it's neat.

Anyway, Saber's design is legendary at this point. She is the still the poster girl for the entire franchise. It's simple but elegant. White and blue, blond hair, green eyes. A small and cute but valiant girl in an armored dress and an invisible sword.

She's such an amazing design she's been copied a bunch of times with small changes.

Tohsaka Rin too. And a similar deal with the copies. I'd even say Ishtar's design looks better on a purely aesthetic level.

Big agree on NGNL too. Haven't seen it yet but those character designs are amazing. So many gorgeous figures for that show too.

Ah, no I'm totally on board with the gender-bending (though I'm wondering why it only goes male->female and not ever the other way around?), I was just pointing out that that's not the main reason that I'm into the series.

Also I love Saber, even though it's kinda hard to tell her apart from pretty much every single other saber look-alike
Jan 25, 2020 8:46 PM

Sep 2018
Huge fan of the character design in kaiba, it looks like osamu tezuka made a ps1 game
Jan 25, 2020 9:09 PM

Dec 2016
Steiner1411 said:

They may be unique, but I'm sorry, to me if they look so ugly to look at, no amount of uniqueness can be translated into best.
Jan 25, 2020 9:36 PM
Mar 2018
Ferien said:

They may be unique, but I'm sorry, to me if they look so ugly to look at, no amount of uniqueness can be translated into best.

Yeah I can understand that lol, its just that for some of us seeing similar styles(in multiple anime) can get boring really quick
Jan 25, 2020 11:12 PM

Jun 2016
Zetsuen no Tempest and Fate/Zero. No contest.
Jan 25, 2020 11:46 PM

Jan 2018
Other than saber, one piece, bleach, dragon ball, I would say kirito x asuna Sephiroth from final fantasy.
Jan 25, 2020 11:58 PM

Jul 2016
Steiner1411 said:
Ferien said:

Yeah I can understand that lol, its just that for some of us seeing similar styles(in multiple anime) can get boring really quick

That's personal preference i guess.But to me an artstyle that is willing to take the liberties of making ugly and unattractive characters is much better than a generic artstyle where everyone has same face syndrome.In those respects,I agree with the user above.
SummerynJan 26, 2020 5:46 AM
Jan 26, 2020 4:55 AM

Oct 2017
ISOQuorra said:
Ah, no I'm totally on board with the gender-bending (though I'm wondering why it only goes male->female and not ever the other way around?), I was just pointing out that that's not the main reason that I'm into the series.

What do you mean you're "not on board with" it? You have some kind of problem with it? And it goes male -> female because women are more asthetically pleasing than men so making characters in to cute girls is a good thing. You 100% know this and just asked the question to be snide. I'm not going to pretend otherwise and keep up a friendly pretense like we're on Reddit. Let me be clear: It is to make them hot becuase people, not just men, like to appreciate women for being sexually attractive. And the only reason I ever hear for why this is "problematic" comes from lunatic sex-negative mysandrists. Maybe you're different and by all means tell me I'm wrong, but you're giving off that vibe right now.

ISOQuorra said:
Also I love Saber, even though it's kinda hard to tell her apart from pretty much every single other saber look-alike

Again, you're not being completely upfront and earnest. This time, rather than feigning ignorance, you're saying things which are false and you know they are. Anyone who is a fan of the series can tell the different sabers apart by the small little details.

I've not even played FGO, and only recently started Apocrypha, and I know how to tell apart all the Saber variations.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 26, 2020 5:44 AM

Jan 2010
Steiner1411 said:

It's not absurd. I agree with you.
Most of the design of major characters are unique and memorable. Definitely one of the best.
Jan 26, 2020 5:51 AM

Jul 2016
Hokage_Jason said:
Missaliensan said:

I agree that's why I say it's a interesting case, it has both really well designed characters, and complete ripoffs. Idk how the author presented something as insultingly copy-paste as mureum when he clearly had talent for making interesting characters. YYH is by the same author and once again, I found some characters really cool there as well like Kurama and Hiei. So it just really baffles me how he did a 180 from amazing to copy/paste.

Hiei reminds me a tad bit of Vegeta(mostly because of the hair)so i can´t help but think of that every time i see him.Sorry i just can´t unsee the resemblance.Kurama is pretty cool though,he definitely has that pretty boy but badass aesthetic going on.
Jan 26, 2020 8:22 AM

Jan 2019
I really enjoy Ume Aoki's designs from Madoka Magica and Hidamari Sketch. I also love the Monogatari designs. I'm also a big fan of the Show By Rock! designs.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Jan 26, 2020 9:35 AM

Nov 2015
@YossaRedMage
My dude, I just said I was cool with the gender-bending; I don't have a problem with it at all. But I'm sorry if I gave off the vibe of someone who was mocking or rude. I legitimately wanted to know if there was a gender preference for that. If you say it's for visual and aesthetic appeal, then I understand completely. Thank you.

And yes, you're right. I do know that all of those characters are different. But I've only watched the anime adaptations (not the visual novels or FGO or any of the other material), so I'm not actually able to recognize who the majority of them are specifically. I just put that in because I know there's an actual page on the wiki that's about Saberface and I thought that was something worth noting.

I'm sorry if what I said upset you. It wasn't my intention to be derisive or derogatory. I was legit just happy to talk about Fate with someone.
ISOQuorraJan 26, 2020 3:54 PM
Jan 26, 2020 7:49 PM

Dec 2018
Missaliensan said:
Hokage_Jason said:

Hiei reminds me a tad bit of Vegeta(mostly because of the hair)so i can´t help but think of that every time i see him.Sorry i just can´t unsee the resemblance.Kurama is pretty cool though,he definitely has that pretty boy but badass aesthetic going on.

Yeah I can totally see the resemblance between Hiei and Vegeta now that you mention it, in both appearance and personality, and the way their characters fit into the plot is even similar. TBH YYH was similar to dbz in a loooot of ways. Still better than his other big work HxH though imo.
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 6, 2020 3:08 PM

Sep 2016
None really, cant find an anime that really get that appealing.
Somehow not depressed.
Mar 6, 2020 4:44 PM
May 2019
Kamigami no Asobi in my opinion is so beautiful maybe because characters are based on different types of mythology gods but the characters are so memorable. I watched it about 5 or 6 years ago and I still remember what the characters look like even if they are characters that barely appear in the anime. This was a hard question.
Mar 6, 2020 4:49 PM

Jul 2016
Kill la Kill, but the one my avatar is from rivals it.

Mar 7, 2020 8:13 AM

Feb 2020
I'd go with Soul Eater, the designs are so creative, I love it !
I also find the gothic/victorian style to be particularly beautiful, like in Rozen Maiden or Pandora Hearts.
And for a last one, I want to add Kaiba, the designs are very unique, I love the inspiration from old cartoons.
FafetteMar 7, 2020 12:05 PM
Mar 7, 2020 8:16 AM

Feb 2020
i would say Hyouka nails my taste of character design in animes.
i also adore the character designs from Non Non Biyori, a silent voice, Noragami and Clannad
Mar 7, 2020 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
Bleach and One Punch Man are my favorite character designs.

More topics from this board

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

65 by Huntee1999 »»
5 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 12 hours ago

36 by Daviljoe193 »»
7 minutes ago

» Successor to "Isekai"

NostalgiaDrive94 - Yesterday

25 by Neterosan »»
24 minutes ago

» Describe an anime with zoomer language

ZakuF_ - May 1

19 by Cazqui-09 »»
30 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - Yesterday

34 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.