How long do you want an ep to be? How many minutes

New
How long do you want an ep to be?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2018 6:37 PM

Mar 2018
NihilisticLoner said:
OfDeathandLove said:
Yours and Digibro's opinions are not more valid than anyone else's.

If 78% of people think one thing, and 4% of people think another, then, by definition, the 78% is the standard and the 4% is the outlier.

There is such thing as being too intolerant, rather than too tolerant.

No, I'm not saying our opinion is more valid than anyone else's.
I'm just sitting here wondering how much free time people can have to waste 21 minutes x 12/24/100 = 12/25/105 hours on generic artstyles, shit production values, barely any frames except for generic sakuga.

Meanwhile, you can watch an anime movie that's 1-2 hours with much higher production values, and MUCH more frames of animation.

It has nothing to do with free time. I just watch fewer anime. I'd rather watch 10 series at 21 minutes per episode than 20 series at 10.5 min each.
Apr 26, 2018 6:38 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I think anime shouldn't be constrained to a time limit -- I know why it is but I still think fluff is added to fill space. That's why Netflix is kinda perfect. I just finished Aggressive Retsuko and 10, 15 minute episode chunks. It was perfect.
Apr 26, 2018 11:07 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
NihilisticLoner said:
Production values DO tell a story, though. In The Cat Returns, the MC is primarily defined by her frantic animation, the world is defined purely by creative color choices and designs.

...But that's simply characterization, not a plot point, not an emotional payoff, it doesn't tell us much of hardly anything at all, especially compared to what a TV anime could do.

Good production levels aren't the end-all-be-all of an anime. With your score of Kimi no na wa, I imagine you'd agree with that statement.

NihilisticLoner said:
I mean...how are tv anime actually have "more" developed stories, so much as they just put more pad?

Some do have padding, yes, but that's called filler, and everyone hates it.

Besides, a slow pace is nice in some shows. What would it be like if each Natsume Yuujinchou story was 12 minutes, but still the amount of plot? Would it still be iyashikei? Or would the faster pace take away its relaxing nature?

NihilisticLoner said:
Besides, if you don't care about the quality of the animation (if there ever is anymore than 2 frames of head tilting), or the art...why not just read manga? I'm going to read the Higurashi manga which is essentially the same as the anime, without the god-awful production values.

Anime and manga are two different mediums. Anime has things that the manga doesn't, and vice versa. Like, even if the art is better, you're also sacrificing the soundtrack. A lot of people (including me) wouldn't want to make that sacrifice. I mean, even though the Kuroshitsuji anime is now following the manga storyline, there's a reason why I like the anime so much better than the manga. It's the colors, it's the soundtrack, it's the voice acting, it's the way it's easy to watch. You don't get that out of a manga. The same way you don't get two-page spreads in anime.

Apr 26, 2018 11:15 PM
Apr 2016
It's Depend On The Anime Story For Me As Long The Story Good It's Np For Me Even It's Too Long Or Short
Apr 27, 2018 7:58 AM

Jul 2017
I think the current length is flexible enough. I rarely watch anime movie because I rarely find myself in a situation where I can concentrate on an anime for 2 hours without getting disturbed (at day), or tired (at night).

I don't like anime to have less than 20 minutes in a weekly basis too, as it usually take some time for me to get into the "condition" for that anime before I can fully enjoy it. Last season I had to save up 2 to 3 episodes of Dagashi Kashi 2 and watch them together. So I think the current length of anime would be perfect for me.
Apr 27, 2018 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
OfDeathandLove said:

...But that's simply characterization, not a plot point, not an emotional payoff, it doesn't tell us much of hardly anything at all, especially compared to what a TV anime could do.

I prefer a character being subtley defined by the way she's animated, then one who monologues and talks for hours.

OfDeathandLove said:
Good production levels aren't the end-all-be-all of an anime. With your score of Kimi no na wa, I imagine you'd agree with that statement.

True. I gave Your Name a low score, because I didn't see how the production values actually TOLD anything; it's glamour without substance. Unlike a Ghibli film which is defined ENTIRELY by the art choice, which actually tells a story of its own.

OfDeathandLove said:

Some do have padding, yes, but that's called filler, and everyone hates it.

I mean that tv anime will extend scenes. Whereas movies just get to the point. Baka and Test could've just been a movie and nothing would've really changed much. Mushishi too.

OfDeathandLove said:
Besides, a slow pace is nice in some shows. What would it be like if each Natsume Yuujinchou story was 12 minutes, but still the amount of plot? Would it still be iyashikei? Or would the faster pace take away its relaxing nature?

I think I can only agree with you on iyashikeis here, but even with Natsume I get a little impatient.

OfDeathandLove said:

Anime and manga are two different mediums. Anime has things that the manga doesn't, and vice versa. Like, even if the art is better, you're also sacrificing the soundtrack. A lot of people (including me) wouldn't want to make that sacrifice. I mean, even though the Kuroshitsuji anime is now following the manga storyline, there's a reason why I like the anime so much better than the manga. It's the colors, it's the soundtrack, it's the voice acting, it's the way it's easy to watch. You don't get that out of a manga. The same way you don't get two-page spreads in anime.

Okay, that makes sense. For me, it doesn't matter. Because I'm barely impressed with the art of tv anime anymore, I always forget the soundtracks, and I hate the voice acting.
Apr 27, 2018 11:26 AM

Mar 2016
200 episodes or more, make it into 20+ episodes per season.
Apr 27, 2018 4:43 PM

Dec 2015
Then Toei is your dream studio dude. You should definitely watch One Piece and Dragon Ball.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 27, 2018 4:46 PM

Nov 2016
I'm fine with around 20 min,but I would prefer most comedies with 10min per episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 12 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 49 minutes ago

11 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 minutes ago

0 by Shizuna »»
3 minutes ago

» So is Shin-Chan actually G rated and the Funimation Dub was like Ghost Stories or is it Adult in nature like Oruchuban Ebichu

vasipi4946 - 2 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

21 by logopolis »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.