Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2010 9:34 PM

Jul 2007
Wow... how unbelievably... average.

I mean, seriously, I can only think of two, maybe three scenes in the whole 2 hours and 40 minutes of runtime that were interesting and exciting. I feel absolutely drained now, past sleepy and bordering on nauseous. The accolades already being poured on it are, from my perspective, entirely unwarranted. If anything, this movie is an exercise in patience.

I would hope the book, for all the praise this particular arc has received in that medium, is better-paced than this dragged out mess. Solid story, yes. Decent characteization, yes. A few surprises, yes. It's not bad, but holy god, this was a trying movie to watch. 7/10.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 11, 2010 10:27 PM

Jul 2009
Absolutely fantastic. Then again, I've read the novel. Completely loved it :D

Can I just hug Nagato please?
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 11, 2010 10:33 PM

Jan 2009
wheresthehandle said:
Absolutely fantastic. Then again, I've read the novel. Completely loved it :D

Can I just hug Nagato please?

You can hug my pic. Then again, I think I like Nagato with glasses more. To bad Kyon doesn't like the glasses-type.
Apr 11, 2010 10:40 PM

Feb 2009
Well even though the picture was pretty bad but the movie was awesome. Human Nagato is uber cute, long hair Haruri is not bad at all.

Some questions I had have been answered, but still in the end I wonder how come there were two Kyon, two Asahina and maybe two Nagato as well.

Oh I wonder what Koizumi told Kyon while Haruhi went to get a taxi? Half of the phrase was buried under the noise of the train passing by.
Apr 12, 2010 4:53 AM

Feb 2010
yeah...the camrip is crap but the movie was the best....

human nagato sure was moe!!!

another movie will surely come since the time when kyon was stabbed by Asakura... (he saw himself, right?)
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 12, 2010 5:13 AM

Apr 2009
seems like it.

asakura is really creepy. i wonder if she was that phantom girl at the end?
Apr 12, 2010 5:16 AM

Jan 2008
Splitter said:

I mean, seriously, I can only think of two, maybe three scenes in the whole 2 hours and 40 minutes of runtime that were interesting and exciting. I feel absolutely drained now, past sleepy and bordering on nauseous. The accolades already being poured on it are, from my perspective, entirely unwarranted. If anything, this movie is an exercise in patience.

I would hope the book, for all the praise this particular arc has received in that medium, is better-paced than this dragged out mess. Solid story, yes. Decent characteization, yes. A few surprises, yes. It's not bad, but holy god, this was a trying movie to watch. 7/10.

Thank You - I've read the other comments with absolute disbelief. Did they, or we watch an alternate dimension movie? Reading the coments abouve leads me to think that they watched the anime version of "The Ten Comandments".

I also rated it a 7. I enjoyied the movie, it was good. The earth did not move under my feet, the sky did not open to reveal heaven, it was just good.
Apr 12, 2010 5:16 AM

Jul 2007
MaxCrazy7 said:

Oh I wonder what Koizumi told Kyon while Haruhi went to get a taxi? Half of the phrase was buried under the noise of the train passing by.

That in the SOS Brigade world, and this one, Haruhi loves Kyon.
Apr 12, 2010 6:03 AM

Feb 2010
EkusuKariba said:
seems like it.

asakura is really creepy. i wonder if she was that phantom girl at the end?

The possibility is high....I think they'll make another one soon...

Splitter said:
MaxCrazy7 said:

That in the SOS Brigade world, and this one, Haruhi loves Kyon.

I think he just like her...nothing more nothing less....

but that larvae haruhi sure sucked...it even drooled...
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 12, 2010 6:10 AM

Jun 2009
I thought it was brilliant. Having managed to keep myself away from spoilers in the months preceding seeing this certainly paid off... every twist and turn was unexpected and ultimately made the story amazing. It's hard to describe exactly what I liked so much about it, but the whole thing overall was an experience, the story sucked me in, played with my emotions... then the ending, whilst not perfect, certainly rounded things off well enough.

Kurogashi said:
I wish that the time spent in the distorted world was a bit longer. It also would have been nice to enjoy more of the shy, timid, Yuki.
I agree, I was a little disappointed at how long Kyon actually 'lived' in the other world. Seeing more of that Yuki would have been great..

I also agree with all the people commenting on how good the music was. Even on that crappy camrip, you could hear brilliance of the score, and it really played its part in underpinning the greatness of the movie.

Not rated it yet, but I imagine I'll end up giving it a 10.

Apr 12, 2010 8:04 AM

Feb 2010
CraigTheOtaku said:
I thought it was brilliant. Having managed to keep myself away from spoilers in the months preceding seeing this certainly paid off... every twist and turn was unexpected and ultimately made the story amazing. It's hard to describe exactly what I liked so much about it, but the whole thing overall was an experience, the story sucked me in, played with my emotions... then the ending, whilst not perfect, certainly rounded things off well enough.

Really true....I'm even surprised, I though the movie ended but there's still 30+min left....

The story really have many twists...

Apr 12, 2010 9:56 AM

Mar 2010
I feel so sorry for yuki.I cried when i watch this
Apr 12, 2010 10:26 AM
Dec 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
Well even though the picture was pretty bad but the movie was awesome. Human Nagato is uber cute, long hair Haruri is not bad at all.

Some questions I had have been answered, but still in the end I wonder how come there were two Kyon, two Asahina and maybe two Nagato as well.

the subs were "voe you", which i took as koizumi telling kyon that haruhi was in love with him in the "real world" (SOS brigade)
Apr 12, 2010 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
This movie was amazing in everyway, every time I tried guessing something about a certain thing it went completely the opposite direction. Haruhi looked wayy better with long hair imo. I felt so bad for Yuki it sucks that she had to go trhough all of that. My favorite will alway be Kyon he just needs to stop being such an idiot sometimes lol

Overall I can't wait for this movie to come out on DVD and hopefully it will get dubbed. I'm glad they made this movie happen It brought into light the true meaning of the series.
Apr 12, 2010 12:44 PM
Dec 2008
this was an amazing movie. 10/10.
the best movie i saw in my life.
and they better make future seasons of Haruhi
Apr 12, 2010 4:18 PM

Jul 2008
Great movie, but not being a diehard Haruhi fan I was a little unclear on certain parts. How was Yuki able to just borrow Haruhi's power? Isn't her power supposed to be so mysterious and unexplainable that not even the Data Integration Thought Entity know much about it.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 12, 2010 5:04 PM

Oct 2007
datsunvic said:
Splitter said:

Thank You - I've read the other comments with absolute disbelief. Did they, or we watch an alternate dimension movie? Reading the coments abouve leads me to think that they watched the anime version of "The Ten Comandments".

I also rated it a 7. I enjoyied the movie, it was good. The earth did not move under my feet, the sky did not open to reveal heaven, it was just good.

It's just a Kyoani work. You ignore what most people post since it's typically rabid fanboyism induced and you're rarely going to hear anything beyond 10/10 and "Best movie ever". Just go for the posts by people that clearly thought about the movie afterward and aren't diehard fanboys. They're typically a lot more informative and discussion worthy anyway.
Apr 12, 2010 5:32 PM

Jul 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:
datsunvic said:
Splitter said:

It's just a Kyoani work. You ignore what most people post since it's typically rabid fanboyism induced and you're rarely going to hear anything beyond 10/10 and "Best movie ever". Just go for the posts by people that clearly thought about the movie afterward and aren't diehard fanboys. They're typically a lot more informative and discussion worthy anyway.

It's not that. Not this time at least. The problem was I was really, really looking forward to this movie. I was deadset on thinking this would be one of the best anime movies I've ever seen, up there with TokiKake and EoE. Yuki's one of my all-time favorite characters and I was a huge Haruhifag when the first season came out. I really thought this would be KyoAni's redemption and I was sorely, sorely disappointed.
Apr 12, 2010 7:07 PM

Apr 2009
Splitter said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
datsunvic said:
Splitter said:

It's not that. Not this time at least. The problem was I was really, really looking forward to this movie. I was deadset on thinking this would be one of the best anime movies I've ever seen, up there with TokiKake and EoE. Yuki's one of my all-time favorite characters and I was a huge Haruhifag when the first season came out. I really thought this would be KyoAni's redemption and I was sorely, sorely disappointed.

Wrong, Wrong, and more Wrong. Best movie ever.
Apr 12, 2010 7:14 PM

Feb 2010

I believe this is one great movie...those twist and turns though makes confusion but rewatching it would solve the problem...

The movie itself is like an OVA, it still connected to the main plot and even added more elements...Such Haruhi-fans will be blown away if they saw this movie..

Apr 12, 2010 7:27 PM

Jan 2009
I hardly see how this movie dissapoints anyone, and after reading all that crap of "... And I was a huge haruhifag when the first season came out." Hell, it is the slow-perfect-pace that made this movie such a sucsessful one, otherwise rushing all out the plot that covers the whole "Vanishment" book would've been a waste. It was actually the slow pace that allowed me to fully appreciate and absorb everything to it's full potential, Kyon's expressions, voice acting, arguments was just priceless. Just perfect.

The whole point of the movie was about Kyon making a choice between staying in one of the two worlds. Nothing else, and anyone who actually did read the book, knows that this was one of the bests adaptations of a novel. A masterpiece? Indeed, best movie ever? Absolutely no; each head is a world.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 12, 2010 7:54 PM

Jul 2007
Cashdaxxx said:

I believe this is one great movie...those twist and turns though makes confusion but rewatching it would solve the problem...

The movie itself is like an OVA, it still connected to the main plot and even added more elements...Such Haruhi-fans will be blown away if they saw this movie..

What twists and turns? You mean random coincidences built on top of one another to magically reach where anyone with a brain knew the plot was going? I reiterate, I'm a huge Yuki Nagato fan and all this movie did was cheapen her character rather than broaden it. Despite my fandom, I'm not just going to sit there and say it's one of the best movies I've ever seen on name recognition alone.

That would be stupid.

Mikiyo said:
I hardly see how this movie dissapoints anyone, and after reading all that crap of "... And I was a huge haruhifag when the first season came out." Hell, it is the slow-perfect-pace that made this movie such a sucsessful one, otherwise rushing all out the plot that covers the whole "Vanishment" book would've been a waste. It was actually the slow pace that allowed me to fully appreciate and absorb everything to it's full potential, Kyon's expressions, voice acting, arguments was just priceless. Just perfect.

The whole point of the movie was about Kyon making a choice between staying in one of the two worlds. Nothing else, and anyone who actually did read the book, knows that this was one of the bests adaptations of a novel. A masterpiece? Indeed, best movie ever? Absolutely no; each head is a world.

I see what you did there.

If that was the whole point of the movie, I'm absolutely shocked out how bland a revelation it was. No shit Kyon's going to choose the SOS Brigade world. How is the story going to continue otherwise? Really, you either give this film too much credit, or you love everything you see with pretty pictures.
Apr 12, 2010 8:02 PM

Dec 2007
The worlds were far too polarized for me to think the choice was actually significant. Kyon spends at least 30 minutes moping and distressing cause Haruhi/Koizumi aren't there and Yuki/Mikuru don't really know him (as well as other things, like the random influenza/cold that was going around and never was of any importance nor was explained).

Had the worlds actually been similar, had he spent a lot longer with "long hair" Haruhi and that world's newly created SOS brigade so he could actually point out the differences, then I might have respected that part of the movie a bit more.
Apr 12, 2010 8:35 PM

Jan 2009
Splitter said:

No shit Kyon's going to choose the SOS Brigade world. How is the story going to continue otherwise? Really, you either give this film too much credit, or you love everything you see with pretty pictures.
You obviously didn't read the novel, so you had no idea if the plot could have ended it right there. So stop talking shit.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 12, 2010 8:39 PM

Dec 2007
Mikiyo said:
Splitter said:

No shit Kyon's going to choose the SOS Brigade world. How is the story going to continue otherwise? Really, you either give this film too much credit, or you love everything you see with pretty pictures.
You obviously didn't read the novel, so you had no idea if the plot could have ended it right there. So stop talking shit.

Everybody knows that this movie was book 4 and there's already like 10 novels or something.
Apr 12, 2010 8:47 PM

Jul 2007
Meddigo said:
Mikiyo said:
Splitter said:

Everybody knows that this movie was book 4 and there's already like 10 novels or something.

Logic, thy name is Meddigo.
Apr 12, 2010 9:00 PM

Feb 2010

You are stupid...The movie surely center Yuki as the cause but she was not the only one in the story...How come it cheapen her character, it even give hints about her "WHAT IF's"

Apr 12, 2010 9:47 PM

Mar 2009
It was awesome it kept me glued to my seat when i first started and Moe Yuki was just so frickken Moe! I love her so much >XD
Apr 12, 2010 9:52 PM

Oct 2007
Meddigo said:
The worlds were far too polarized for me to think the choice was actually significant. Kyon spends at least 30 minutes moping and distressing cause Haruhi/Koizumi aren't there and Yuki/Mikuru don't really know him (as well as other things, like the random influenza/cold that was going around and never was of any importance nor was explained).

Had the worlds actually been similar, had he spent a lot longer with "long hair" Haruhi and that world's newly created SOS brigade so he could actually point out the differences, then I might have respected that part of the movie a bit more.

A large part of the movie was Kyon moping around actually. The part between when Kyon ended up in the alternate world and when he managed to get everybody gathered into the club room was brutal to sit through as it was just about the most drawn out thing I've seen outside of a Toei Animation shonen series. I'm actually still 40 minutes from finishing the movie right now, but I know that they are going to be primarily filled with Kyon being his agonizingly indecisive self moping over whether to fix the damn timeline or not.

For Haruhi fans who don't really care about anything other than seeing as much of the franchise and it's characters being moe as possible obviously anything is fine, but for casual fans this is going to be a tough movie to justify spending 2 hours and 41 minutes on all in one sitting. Nothing really happens in all honesty and everything is put back together nice and tidy at the end for the most part so that non of what happened is really going to have any long lasting ramifications to anyone but Kyon and Nagato. Also it's pretty much just Back To The Future II's plot transposed onto the Haruhi franchise without most of the parts like tongue in cheek pop culture and generation gap portrayal that made Back To The Future II actually fun to watch the whole way through.

Outside of the gorgeous animation I can't say I'm all that impressed and like most Kyoani works it'll probably be forgotten in the hype over their next project that is sure to follow.

Splitter said:

What accolades? I don't see any accolades.

But seriously I pretty much am in line with your assessment of it. Would the interesting scenes you are talking about happen to be the one where everyone gets gathered in the clubroom, the scene in the park and the finale by any chance.
PeacingOutApr 12, 2010 10:00 PM
Apr 12, 2010 10:09 PM

Jul 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Would the interesting scenes you are talking about happen to be the one where everyone gets gathered in the clubroom, the scene in the park and the finale by any chance.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Apr 12, 2010 10:15 PM

Aug 2009
First I just want to say, I liked Summer Wars a little better than this. Mainly because every minute of that was "OMGWTF! THIS IS BOKURA NO WAR GAME AWESOME! KOIKOI THAT MOTHER-F***ER!" That's not to say this was bad as my 9 rating shows. Just that if I was asked #1 movie of 2009, I'd say Summer Wars. That'll probably shift to Eva 2.0 once that decides to get on DVD, but this would not be my favorite. (BTW, was that enough of a "Go see Summer Wars" plug? Just making sure :P)

Now, as for the movie, let me just say that I fell asleep. Which sucks because that never happens to me that often. Usually, it only happens when a movie is just too damn long aka, Lord of the Rings III. Add to the fact that it's just about tomorrow time-wise with a series of insanely long dialogue with little action and you'll see why I fell asleep.

So why did I still give it a 9? Well for a few reasons. I really liked the animation. Even through the camrip, I could see that this was looking very nice. I also liked that we were focusing on Yuki again. She isn't my favorite character but I can't say I dislike her and seeing that she has subtly grown less and less emotionless was nice as well. But the biggest reason I gave it a high score was that nearly everything from the past epiosdes (er, novels) was utilized in a way that gave birth to this story. Was there a lot of talking, Oh yes. But did it have a point? It did. This is why we sat through so many of those episodes during broadcast airings. This is what the subtle canon events were for. This is why the fans find the author to be a storytelling genius. I appreciate any work that utilizes it's continuity well and this was a prime example. (I never thought there would be more that John Smith thing)

I'm not going to call KyoAni the wizards of animation or anything so don't take this as a fanboy raving. Heck, I haven't even finished Air or Kanon. I'm not exactly going to say Endless Eight is totally forgiven either but for this work....you outdid yourselves KyoAni. If this gets licensed (and it most likely will), I'll buy it. if we get more movies of this quality, the little support I can give will be worth it.

(But I still liked Summer Wars more :P *escapes*)

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kyon getting stabbed was like "WTFJUSTHAPPENED?! Oh nvmind it's just Asakura bitching out again..."
Apr 12, 2010 10:34 PM

Oct 2007
garfield15 said:

So why did I still give it a 9? Well for a few reasons. I really liked the animation. Even through the camrip, I could see that this was looking very nice. I also liked that we were focusing on Yuki again. She isn't my favorite character but I can't say I dislike her and seeing that she has subtly grown less and less emotionless was nice as well. But the biggest reason I gave it a high score was that nearly everything from the past epiosdes (er, novels) was utilized in a way that gave birth to this story. Was there a lot of talking, Oh yes. But did it have a point? It did. This is why we sat through so many of those episodes during broadcast airings. This is what the subtle canon events were for. This is why the fans find the author to be a storytelling genius. I appreciate any work that utilizes it's continuity well and this was a prime example. (I never thought there would be more that John Smith thing)

Considering that Back to The Future Part II had the same thing going on 20 years ago with utilizing and reintegrating a lot of the events from the first movie in a second trip back into the past and incidental things that were referenced in the present time parts of the first movie I wasn't really as impressed nor would I call the author a storytelling genius. The Futurama movie Bender's Big Score did a similar thing as well and was even more clever with dropping hints and incidental things throughout it's story arcs and then sorting them all out with the time line later on than even BtTF:II was IMO.

I also don't think I need to mention that I found Back to The Future Part II and Bender's Big Score to be far more engrossing movies overall compared to this one. Then again they didn't drag for a substantial part of their first half....

Anyway looks like you had the same reaction to the stabbing scene that I did. It was even more confusing and awkward in the book though since you didn't actually have anything visual cues to go on. Only the authors incredibly vague attempt at a description of what went on.
Apr 13, 2010 3:17 AM

Apr 2008
The novels would have probably given readers a stronger connection to Kyon's choice as the novels are entirely first person.

It was possible to recreate the SOS-dan in the alternative world, but Kyon's debate was whether he will enjoy himself/fit in enough in that SOS-dan, compared to the SOS-dan we all know. A debate between normality and unpredictability. Between the comfort of expectancy or the thrills of new surprises.

In the end, Kyon decided that what he has experienced, and will continue to was too important to throw away, and be replaced by normal routines and the normal laws of the world. It was a fascinating exploration into Kyon's mind, which could extend to many people here. Who here has not thought about living differently, where you are free from the normal code of conduct? If you ARE presented with such a choice, would you take it?
Apr 13, 2010 5:25 AM

Jul 2008
Touka said:
Great movie, but not being a diehard Haruhi fan I was a little unclear on certain parts. How was Yuki able to just borrow Haruhi's power? Isn't her power supposed to be so mysterious and unexplainable that not even the Data Integration Thought Entity know much about it.

Any one?
Apr 13, 2010 5:28 AM

Feb 2010
Someone explain why the title is "The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya?"

I think only Kyon was dragged out to another world by some Phantom Girl (possibly Ryoko)....

btw....When Haruhi called a taxi...Koizumi told Kyon that

...ves you..right??

is there a reason to censor the word if it is too obvious??

Apr 13, 2010 10:02 AM

Feb 2007
I am going to stick with the little words besides the numbering system and give this a an 8/10 or "Very Good" - I enjoyed the film, but there were one or two thing that brought down the level of enjoyment.

For one, the film felt too long. It almost clocks in at around 3 hours and much of the major plot doesn't even begin until an hour into the film, they really could have cut some of the fluff off the edges. I know anime often takes short cuts when adapting Light Novels, in this instance I believe they stuck far too close to the source material.

As for the main plot itself, I enjoyed the time travelling back and forth, but it wasn't all that mind blowing. It felt like watching an extended episode of the first series, which in itself is not bad as that's what we usually want with thing like this, but I do not feel this was a life changing best film of the decade masterpiece.

Apr 13, 2010 10:06 AM

Feb 2010
Kraker2k said:
I am going to stick with the little words besides the numbering system and give this a an 8/10 or "Very Good" - I enjoyed the film, but there were one or two thing that brought down the level of enjoyment.

For one, the film felt too long. It almost clocks in at around 3 hours and much of the major plot doesn't even begin until an hour into the film, they really could have cut some of the fluff off the edges. I know anime often takes short cuts when adapting Light Novels, in this instance I believe they stuck far too close to the source material.

As for the main plot itself, I enjoyed the time travelling back and forth, but it wasn't all that mind blowing. It felt like watching an extended episode of the first series, which in itself is not bad as that's what we usually want with thing like this, but I do not feel this was a life changing best film of the decade masterpiece.

So if you thing that the anime is shorter then it would be the best?? Everything was explained in that movie... I also believed that you're also one of those who complained about the endless eight arc... You think that repetitive episodes is better than a fully explained plot of the movie?? Pick you choice.

Touka said:

That argument also cranked my head...I even think that Yuki was the real self-powered character in the series... Well this is what I think...

The present Yuki (the one in the original world) complains that she is experiencing bugs and errors. I think she stole Haruhi's "powers" to generate blah blah blah something like that and returned back to the time when she inevitably altered the world, and thought that reverting the world would be best for Kyon (which was probably the one causing this unknown bug to Yuki which was he explained to be "emotion"). But didn't expect that Kyon will prefer the original (I think) since Asahina-san (adult version) was also shocked when Kyon was stabbed by Ryoko. (she yelled out "I should've known", right?)...I can't explain much, because I'm still confused even though I've watched the movie 3 times....

===========================
@offtopic
CashdaxApr 13, 2010 10:19 AM

Apr 13, 2010 10:47 AM

Dec 2007
Cashdaxxx said:
Everything was explained in that movie

Why was there a large case of influenza/cold going around in the changed world that wasn't in Kyon's original world? That was never explained, and actually turned out to be rather extraneous and pretty stupid.
Apr 13, 2010 10:53 AM

Nov 2007
Meddigo said:
Cashdaxxx said:

Why was there a large case of influenza/cold going around in the changed world that wasn't in Kyon's original world? That was never explained, and actually turned out to be rather extraneous and pretty stupid.

The cold was used as a device to let Kyon know that something was not the same from the world he came from the day before, that was the sole reason for it.
Just because there was a cold it doesnt mean that there must be some conspiracy or some higher meaning to it, it was only a way to tell the viewer and Kyon that things were not the way they used to be.
Apr 13, 2010 11:39 AM

Jul 2008
Cashdaxxx said:
That argument also cranked my head...I even think that Yuki was the real self-powered character in the series... Well this is what I think...

The present Yuki (the one in the original world) complains that she is experiencing bugs and errors. I think she stole Haruhi's "powers" to generate blah blah blah something like that and returned back to the time when she inevitably altered the world, and thought that reverting the world would be best for Kyon (which was probably the one causing this unknown bug to Yuki which was he explained to be "emotion"). But didn't expect that Kyon will prefer the original (I think) since Asahina-san (adult version) was also shocked when Kyon was stabbed by Ryoko. (she yelled out "I should've known", right?)...I can't explain much, because I'm still confused even though I've watched the movie 3 times....

Perhaps the bugs and errors did have something to do with it, but I still don't understand how Yuki was just able to take Haruhi's power though. I'm sure at some point in the first series it was said that the Data Overmind could not intervene with Haruhi's power as they do not know what it holds (or something like that) and that is why Yuki is there to simply observe. Yet somehow Yuki is able to take Haruhi's power completely and alter the entire world. I just can't work out how she is able to do this, yet it is a major part of the plot so there has to be an answer or something I'm missing. Maybe another viewing of the movie is necessary. :P
ToukaApr 13, 2010 12:54 PM
Apr 13, 2010 1:08 PM

Oct 2009
the "Asakura attacking Kyon" scene was freakin awesome. And the OP made me grin... is really good the original song

Vrrrrroooooooommmm!
Apr 13, 2010 3:32 PM

Apr 2008
Touka said:
Cashdaxxx said:

Perhaps the bugs and errors did have something to do with it, but I still don't understand how Yuki was just able to take Haruhi's power though. I'm sure at some point in the first series it was said that the Data Overmind could not intervene with Haruhi's power as they do not know what it holds (or something like that) and that is why Yuki is there to simply observe. Yet somehow Yuki is able to take Haruhi's power completely and alter the entire world. I just can't work out how she is able to do this, yet it is a major part of the plot so there has to be an answer or something I'm missing. Maybe another viewing of the movie is necessary. :P

Think of the original world, and the alternative world as parallel strips. By rewriting the world, Nagato effectively skewed the flow towards the other parallel line. By stopping her from rewriting, time merely remained flowing on its original parallel line, without crossing over into another line. Or something. Time is a tricky thing to understand.
Apr 13, 2010 3:44 PM

Nov 2009
ive gotta say that was a fantastic movie even for a casual haruhi fan like myself, could change my mind about my favourite 'anime' this year.
Apr 13, 2010 6:00 PM

Dec 2007
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
Cashdaxxx said:

The cold was used as a device to let Kyon know that something was not the same from the world he came from the day before, that was the sole reason for it.
Just because there was a cold it doesnt mean that there must be some conspiracy or some higher meaning to it, it was only a way to tell the viewer and Kyon that things were not the way they used to be.

So his friend not having a girlfriend and Asakura showing up in Haruhi's spot just weren't enough clues?

Just how mentally handicapped are the readers of the Haruhi light novels?
Apr 13, 2010 6:17 PM

Nov 2007
Meddigo said:
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
Cashdaxxx said:

So his friend not having a girlfriend and Asakura showing up in Haruhi's spot just weren't enough clues?

Just how bad are you at understanding things? This has nothing to do with the readers not understanding that the world changed...everyone knew things were not going to be ok as soon as Kyon woke up, he himself says something along the lines of "The next day, I was thrown into the abyss of fear", of course things are not going to be ok, the cold, the missing date, are just how author was showing how things were starting to be different. This is not about the reader's incapacity to see the world changing, the original question was you asking why they didnt explain why there was a cold, and there is no need for an explanation...the cold is just a cover story that Nagato created when she rewrote the world along with all memories from a year before, there is nothing more to it.
Apr 13, 2010 6:24 PM

Dec 2007
But why would Nagato create such a story?

It serves no purpose!
Apr 13, 2010 8:03 PM

Jul 2007
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
Cashdaxxx said:

Just how bad are you at understanding things? This has nothing to do with the readers not understanding that the world changed...everyone knew things were not going to be ok as soon as Kyon woke up, he himself says something along the lines of "The next day, I was thrown into the abyss of fear", of course things are not going to be ok, the cold, the missing date, are just how author was showing how things were starting to be different. This is not about the reader's incapacity to see the world changing, the original question was you asking why they didnt explain why there was a cold, and there is no need for an explanation...the cold is just a cover story that Nagato created when she rewrote the world along with all memories from a year before, there is nothing more to it.

They cut the explanation for the cold from the 4 hour director's cut. Coming soon on Blu-Ray!
Apr 13, 2010 8:16 PM
May 2007
You guys are thinking about the cold thing too much. Honestly, I look at the cold as nothing more than a plot device that forced Kyon to stay in the "new world" for a few days. As soon as he figured out the world was different he began questioning anyone in earshot if they knew Haruhi. If Taniguchi had been there instead of out with this cold, Kyon would have found Haruhi on day one.
Apr 13, 2010 9:49 PM

Feb 2010
Touka said:

Well atleast it was just an opinion....the movie sure has many mysteries since the synopsis did not really explained what happened...

infinite_zero said:
Think of the original world, and the alternative world as parallel strips. By rewriting the world, Nagato effectively skewed the flow towards the other parallel line. By stopping her from rewriting, time merely remained flowing on its original parallel line, without crossing over into another line. Or something. Time is a tricky thing to understand.

There were no parallel world...It was just the original world altered by Yuki (Kyon explained this in the movie, right??

game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
game8910 said:
Meddigo said:
Cashdaxxx said:

That's right...It is like added decoration and its purpose is to expand the ideas and make Kyon's life miserable...People in Japan catch cold more often during Christmas, you know...About Ryoko...They were normal in that time, right?? So it's normal that she'll appear in the class instead of Haruhi (Haruhi x John Smith part)...She was the class rep, right?? If they were human beings then she was not killed by Nagato and still have the life to go to school...
CashdaxApr 13, 2010 9:56 PM

Apr 14, 2010 2:00 AM

Jul 2008
infinite_zero said:

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I understand all that, but why was Yuki able to take Haruhi's power? How was she able to do this? It's bugging me so much because, as previously stated, the Data Overmind doesn't even know much about Haruhi's power so it doesn't make sense that Yuki can take it so easily just like that.
Pages (21) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

» Ending … [spoilers ahead]

nomnomnori - Mar 3, 2019

8 by User-Name »»
Jun 7, 2023 4:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.