Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2013
Ok, so I've been talking to my friends and most of them hate 3DCGI in anime. They're fine with it in Disney Movies because it makes sense there. Like... it's it's own thing. It feels right within the confines of its media.

You try and do anime in 3D though and they feel this weird disconnect... even though they don't feel this when playing JRPGs.

So, what makes 3D in anime so unbearable? I personally think it's because 3D in anime is trying way too hard to look "anime." CGI disney cartoons don't look like 3D versions of 2D movies. They have their own proportions and own general style.

I was wondering. Why do you think Japan doesn't create anime like that?

I'd love to see actual shows with these kinds of visuals. I wonder why it doesn't happen.
Oct 25, 2016 7:15 PM

Mar 2016
I too would love this but believe it or not it's taken a long time for 3D anime to look that good. It's just a nicer budget version of the other cg were used to seeing. Those artists are still very much emulating 2D in their shaders.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Oct 25, 2016 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
The hell? usually your threads are the only place on forums for a proper discussion and get a 100 of replies but this is empty as hell.

TitanAnteus said:
Ok, so I've been talking to my friends and most of them hate 3DCGI in anime. They're fine with it in Disney Movies because it makes sense there. Like... it's it's own thing. It feels right within the confines of its media.

You try and do anime in 3D though and they feel this weird disconnect... even though they don't feel this when playing JRPGs.

So, what makes 3D in anime so unbearable? I personally think it's because 3D in anime is trying way too hard to look "anime." CGI disney cartoons don't look like 3D versions of 2D movies. They have their own proportions and own general style.

I think I have to agree 100% well maybe aside for the jrpg part but that is probably because I do not play JRPGs

I was wondering. Why do you think Japan doesn't create anime like that?

I have no clue

I'd love to see actual shows with these kinds of visuals. I wonder why it doesn't happen.

Is that 3D? I mean good 3D? looks gorgeous I wish that there would me more of this, afterall 3D animation is at some point gonna become the standard and I hope it'll look great as this and not like a weird abomination that looks more like a crappy game with pre done animations for each task than a show.
Oct 25, 2016 7:27 PM

Jan 2008
They're currently still stuck with visuals like this

Oct 25, 2016 7:31 PM

Sep 2014
Paul said:

Woah there, you're giving CG anime way too much credit. CG anime looks way worse compared to that.
Oct 25, 2016 7:36 PM

Aug 2013
Generally, I'm still not a fan of cg in anime. There's just something about the way they're done that makes it look awkward. If its closer to game visuals, like FF Advent children, then it looks hella neat.

Oct 25, 2016 7:36 PM

Jan 2009
Polygon Studio said:
Japanese anime fans and general public have been watching hand-drawn cartoons on TV since decades. How do they react to CG animation?

Per above, there’s been a strong dislike for CG animation. Some of it has to deal with the cultural and artistic background of Japan, where we prefer minimalistic and simple approaches to defining imagery. Some of it, I feel, is mental. A fanboy mentality. CGI essentially is great at simulating real world and physically correct expressions, but expressing the sort of ambiguity that makes hand drawn imagery so attractive is technically very difficult. I think we’ve finally come to a point technically where we can satisfy such appetite.
http://www.furansujinconnection.com/polygon-pictures-english/

give it more time, 2.5D animation will improve more and more in the future until it becomes like 2D animation, thats what i believe and how the current animation technology progress goes like this one

Pixar Makes Painterly CG: New Research Could Change The Look of Their Films
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/pixar-makes-painterly-cg-new-research-could-change-the-look-of-their-films-95205.html
Oct 25, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2013
Paul said:

Wait do people really think Expelled from Paradise looks bad?

Like... it's not super great, but it definitely looks better than some 2D anime I've seen.

Elegade said:
Paul said:
-snipped-

Woah there, you're giving CG anime way too much credit. CG anime looks way worse compared to that.

I don't know man... The only CGI anime where the characters don't look that good are the Polygon Pictures guys who did Ajin and Knights of Sidonia.

You watch enough anime and you'll come across talented people who can do stuff like this.

And this.

j0x said:
Polygon Studio said:
Japanese anime fans and general public have been watching hand-drawn cartoons on TV since decades. How do they react to CG animation?

Per above, there’s been a strong dislike for CG animation. Some of it has to deal with the cultural and artistic background of Japan, where we prefer minimalistic and simple approaches to defining imagery. Some of it, I feel, is mental. A fanboy mentality. CGI essentially is great at simulating real world and physically correct expressions, but expressing the sort of ambiguity that makes hand drawn imagery so attractive is technically very difficult. I think we’ve finally come to a point technically where we can satisfy such appetite.
http://www.furansujinconnection.com/polygon-pictures-english/

give it more time, 2.5D animation will improve more and more in the future until it becomes like 2D animation, thats what i believe and how the current animation technology progress goes like this one

Pixar Makes Painterly CG: New Research Could Change The Look of Their Films
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/pixar-makes-painterly-cg-new-research-could-change-the-look-of-their-films-95205.html

I don't want 3D to lose its 3Dness though. They can use it to great effect especially in fights imo. That Pixar animation technique is scary btw. You have to do 3D and then draw vector 2D on top of it. Of course since the vector 2d has spacial information from the 3D render there's a lot of shortcuts and it makes the drawing over easier, but it doesn't change the fact that each frame has 3 times more work put into it over regular 3D just because it's passed over like 3 times.
Oct 25, 2016 7:50 PM

Jan 2009
TitanAnteus said:

I don't want 3D to lose its 3Dness though. They can use it to great effect especially in fights imo. That Pixar animation technique is scary btw. You have to do 3D and then draw vector 2D on top of it. Of course since the vector 2d has spacial information from the 3D render there's a lot of shortcuts and it makes the drawing over easier, but it doesn't change the fact that each frame has 3 times more work put into it over regular 3D just because it's passed over like 3 times.

nah you have to remember that this is a rendering technique so its an automated process, and i bet photorealistic rendering needs much more processing power so more money and wasted time are needed for it instead of doing cel-shaded rendering or 2.5D rendering, this artistic painting rendering i bet is still much cheaper and faster to make than what you want with traditional 3DCG rendering or photorealism
Oct 25, 2016 7:52 PM

Apr 2015
3DCGI can be good, just go look at FF VII Advent Children so no.
Oct 25, 2016 7:52 PM

Jul 2014
Yes this is basically what I say in every CGI thread, if you don't make your own style with CGI or go with regular humans its gonna look weird. To me it's almost a bigger problem than the fps.
Oct 25, 2016 7:55 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
TitanAnteus said:

nah you have to remember that this is a rendering technique so its an automated process, and i bet photorealistic rendering needs much more processing power so more money and wasted time are needed for it instead of doing cel-shaded rendering or 2.5D rendering, this artistic painting rendering i bet is still much cheaper and faster to make than what you want with traditional 3DCG rendering or photorealism

Crap, I made an assumption and thought it was the Paperman creation process, which I actually know about.

Lol my bad XD.

Darek said:
The hell? usually your threads are the only place on forums for a proper discussion and get a 100 of replies but this is empty as hell.
Awww... you're making me blush :">
Oct 25, 2016 7:55 PM

Jan 2013
CGI is genuinely hard to notice when it does the job but very noticeable when it fails.

It's all about money and time.

Video games hardly have this problem since they have higher budgets and more talented 3D artists within the industry.

Oct 25, 2016 7:58 PM

Jan 2009
reminder that anime TV budget is low, so thats why there is no photorealistic TV anime yet right?

and found this on wikipedia on the reason why 2.5D is preferred on cases where budget is cheap/low

The reason for using pseudo-3D instead of "real" 3D computer graphics is that the system that has to simulate a three dimensional-looking graphic is not powerful enough to handle the calculation-intensive routines of 3D computer graphics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D#Technical_aspects_and_generalizations

so ye anime studios cannot afford better computers to render photorealism on the anime TV shows they are working on unless they have a anime movie budget
Oct 25, 2016 8:00 PM

Sep 2014
TitanAnteus said:

Elegade said:

I don't know man... The only CGI anime where the characters don't look that good are the Polygon Pictures guys who did Ajin and Knights of Sidonia.

You watch enough anime and you'll come across talented people who can do stuff like this.

And this.

I have to agree, that Etotama fight scene looks superb. But Ajin and Sidonia aren't the only bad CGs in anime. Mekaku City Actors had some shitty CG. Kancolle had some shitty CG. The new Berserk had shitty CG. Gate had some shitty CG. It hurts me to say this, but Love Live had shitty CG I'll repent for my sins later Kingdom has shitty CG (Haven't watched it, but have seen videos of it) and that's some where I can remember, but I'm sure there are more.
Oct 25, 2016 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
reminder that anime TV budget is low, so thats why there is no photorealistic TV anime yet right?

and found this on wikipedia on the reason why 2.5D is preferred on cases where budget is cheap/low

The reason for using pseudo-3D instead of "real" 3D computer graphics is that the system that has to simulate a three dimensional-looking graphic is not powerful enough to handle the calculation-intensive routines of 3D computer graphics

so ye anime studios cannot afford better computers to render photorealism on the anime TV shows they are working on unless they have a anime movie budget

Eh? But shows like Majestic Prince and Valvrave use some pretty strong 3D.

I feel like that wikipedia article is speaking more on the use of 2.5D in realtime systems like games then rendering times (actually it directly mentions games.) I mean, regular anime have to go through a lot to get their plane old 2D to look nice. Lots of time is used coloring those backgrounds and stuff so they should have time to render at least.
Oct 25, 2016 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
Elegade said:

I have to agree, that Etotama fight scene looks superb. But Ajin and Sidonia aren't the only bad CGs in anime. Mekaku City Actors had some shitty CG. Kancolle had some shitty CG. The new Berserk had shitty CG. Gate had some shitty CG. It hurts me to say this, but Love Live had shitty CG I'll repent for my sins later Kingdom has shitty CG (Haven't watched it, but have seen videos of it) and that's some where I can remember, but I'm sure there are more.

You mean this scene in ep 9?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU99knkIm1E

Oh yeah... that was actually a weird financial problem that shaft fell on. It's like the NiceBoat for school days. That scene doesn't exist in the Blu-Ray.

Kingdom is a long running series like detective Conan. I feel like both look equally bad to me.

Also, Ajin and Sidonia has bad characters. They're chasing the appeal of 2D in framerate and are obsessing too much over that 2D look. The actual Ajin and Mechs in Sidonia and Ajin look great. Sidonia's aliens look especially fantastic.

I won't deny that Budget CG looks bad, but that's like budget anything really?

If you look at the background characters in Madoka they look derpy as all hell because that's budget 2D. Same principle in my book.
Oct 25, 2016 8:19 PM

Jan 2008
Elegade said:
Paul said:

My other example was gonna be this but it felt too long.

There's a 2 year difference and I gotta say, that BRS looks more visually appropriate with itsCGI'd fight scenes and being a TV series versus Expelled from Paradise which is a movie.

Though if you want bad examples, the new Berserk. They even tried to fix some stuff in the BD's and it still looks awful.

Some NSFW stuff (nips and stuff)

@ anyone bringing up FF, the topic is talking about 3DCGI keeping the 2D look, so shows like FF, Harlock and Gantz:0 don't count.
Oct 25, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2009
TitanAnteus said:
j0x said:

I feel like that wikipedia article is speaking more on the use of 2.5D in realtime systems like games then rendering times (actually it directly mentions games.) I mean, regular anime have to go through a lot to get their plane old 2D to look nice. Lots of time is used coloring those backgrounds and stuff so they should have time to render at least.

the quality of those photorealistic 3D mecha on Valverave is not that good though and are you sure Majestic Prince 3D mecha is not 2.5D or cel-shaded? here is a example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEjVKlU_o8

nah 2.5D animation applies to cel-shaded 3DCG that anime studios are using too

Dai Sato began his portion of the talk by stating that its title was “too heavy” for him to discuss so directly. Instead, he gave his thoughts on where he feels the industry is headed via animation itself: that is, towards a more “2.5D look.” 2.5D is an aesthetic that exists between 2D and 3D.
http://yattatachi.com/japanese-animation-post-miyazaki

and yes rendering CGI is not done in real-time obviously but it takes a lot and a lot of processing time that it will take a lot of time and money for powerful hardware, not a lot of anime studios can afford a powerful render farm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_farm

and i think SANZIGEN as well as Polygon Pictures are the only ones that have this powerful render farms or expertise on render farms http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/news/2014/12/5/deadline-software-drives-render-farm-for-polygon-pictures.html
Oct 25, 2016 8:22 PM

Jan 2013
Paul said:
Elegade said:

There's a 2 year difference and I gotta say, that BRS looks more visually appropriate with itsCGI'd fight scenes and being a TV series versus Expelled from Paradise which is a movie.

Though if you want bad examples, the new Berserk. They even tried to fix some stuff in the BD's and it still looks awful.

@ anyone bringing up FF, the topic is talking about 3DCGI keeping the 2D look, so shows like FF, Harlock and Gantz:0 don't count.

Ok that Berserk comparison video was perfect.

The tried so hard to make it look 2D that in the end, the CG looked worse because of it. It could have just went after its own style but it didn't. It chased 2D and looked worse because of it.
Oct 25, 2016 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
TitanAnteus said:

the quality of those photorealistic 3D mecha on Valverave is not that good though and are you sure Majestic Prince 3D mecha is not 2.5D or cel-shaded? here is a example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEjVKlU_o8

Dai Sato began his portion of the talk by stating that its title was “too heavy” for him to discuss so directly. Instead, he gave his thoughts on where he feels the industry is headed via animation itself: that is, towards a more “2.5D look.” 2.5D is an aesthetic that exists between 2D and 3D.

and yes rendering CGI is not done in real-time obviously but it takes a lot and a lot of processing time that it will take a lot of time and money for powerful hardware, not a lot of anime studios can afford a powerful render farm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_farm

and i think SANZIGEN as well as Polygon Pictures are the only ones that have this powerful render farms or expertise on render farms http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/news/2014/12/5/deadline-software-drives-render-farm-for-polygon-pictures.html

By finding its own style, I don't mean photorealism. I mean more like that Precure video I already posted.

2.5D animation doesn't mean cel-shaded 3D. It means using 3D in such a way that it appears as 2D and makes the 2D look better.

Most 2.5D animation looks terrible from any angle except from directly in front. Cel-Shaded is just a graphical style that means the lights don't act the way they stereotypically would. Areas are either lit, or unlit and shadows rarely blend in that way.

I know lots of anime studios can't afford a render farm, but I know some can. I'm just wondering why they're trying so hard to make their 3D look like 2D when they can just take the advantages of 3D and get their own style like Disney does.
Oct 25, 2016 8:28 PM

Apr 2014
It's easier and cheaper to produce the cel shaded CG (2.5D) so yes I think they should.
Rakuen Tsuiho, Ars Nova and JoJo opening already proves that those kind of CG can actually go pretty far when it comes to visual.

The problem with 3DCG is how expensive it is and how to make it looks good when moving, and after witnessing a few anime with CG, I come to a conclusion that TV anime just don't have enough budget and time to make moving object with 3DCG looks good.
Oct 25, 2016 8:31 PM

Jan 2009
TitanAnteus said:
j0x said:

By finding its own style, I don't mean photorealism. I mean more like that Precure video I already posted.

2.5D animation doesn't mean cel-shaded 3D. It means using 3D in such a way that it appears as 2D and makes the 2D look better.

Most 2.5D animation looks terrible from any angle except from directly in front. Cel-Shaded is just a graphical style that means the lights don't act the way they stereotypically would. Areas are either lit, or unlit and shadows rarely blend in that way.

I know lots of anime studios can't afford a render farm, but I know some can. I'm just wondering why they're trying so hard to make their 3D look like 2D when they can just take the advantages of 3D and get their own style like Disney does.

try to read those links i posted especially this one http://yattatachi.com/japanese-animation-post-miyazaki that is where anime industry says 2.5D is related or similar to cel-shaded 3D

and the answer to your question is because like i said cel-shaded or other 2.5D rendering techniques are much cheaper to produce than what you expect, i think you are expecting the rendering quality of anime CGI movies like Final Fantasy Advent Children right? thats why i said photorealistic rendering like that are not achievable by the low budget of anime TV production
Oct 25, 2016 8:41 PM

Jan 2009
TitanAnteus said:

i just watched the Precure video you posted that is cel-shaded that can be categorize as 2.5D too, same goes for that Etotama video you posted its another 2.5D
Oct 25, 2016 8:42 PM

Jan 2013
tr1ckst3r said:
It's easier and cheaper to produce the cel shaded CG (2.5D) so yes I think they should.
Rakuen Tsuiho, Ars Nova and JoJo opening already proves that those kind of CG can actually go pretty far when it comes to visual.

The problem with 3DCG is how expensive it is and how to make it looks good when moving, and after witnessing a few anime with CG, I come to a conclusion that TV anime just don't have enough budget and time to make moving object with 3DCG looks good.

Actually the Jojo's opening is not really cel shaded.

I'm not saying if they should go photorealistic or not. I'm saying whether they should find their own style in 3D exactly like the Jojo's opening did, the chase after 2D aesthetics to the point where the 3D feels jarring.

I guess I can sort of see the budget thing being a problem. Expelled from Paradise was originally supposed to be a TV series after all. God I wish it was. That story is sooooooo good, but I wonder if it's because of the way 2D animators are paid instead of how expensive 3D is?

America produces lots of 3D shows, even if they don't look that great.

What I'm saying is that 3D animation in the west doesn't try to look like 2D animation?
Like this?

I'm not saying I want JAPAN to do this. No. I'm saying that here, when 3D animators do 3D they think in terms of 3D and its advantages.

Some 3D animations from Japan like the Precure one do that too.
Oct 25, 2016 8:48 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
TitanAnteus said:

try to read those links i posted especially this one http://yattatachi.com/japanese-animation-post-miyazaki that is where anime industry says 2.5D is related or similar to cel-shaded 3D

and the answer to your question is because like i said cel-shaded or other 2.5D rendering techniques are much cheaper to produce than what you expect, i think you are expecting the rendering quality of anime CGI movies like Final Fantasy Advent Children right? thats why i said photorealistic rendering like that are not achievable by the low budget of anime TV production

Those guys called Knights of Sidonia 2.5d?

Then wouldn't everything that has even a slight bit of an anime aesthetic not be considered full 3D?

When I was taught what 2.5d was, I learned it was an animation technique. You can't move around a regular 2D image, unless you do that whole skeletal animation shit, so what people did was they created 3D rigs and put 2D images on top of that, then they moved their 3D rigs in order to move the entire picture.

Ugh... only examples I can think of are 18+ for this though.

No, I wasn't saying I wanted photorealism. I wanted 3D to have its own style and not chase after 2D.
Oct 25, 2016 8:52 PM

Jan 2009
TitanAnteus said:

No, I wasn't saying I wanted photorealism. I wanted 3D to have its own style and not chase after 2D.

well they are doing that with 2.5D
i mean the anime industry named those cel-shaded CGI they are making as another form of 2.5D and they say its between 2D and 3D look too
Oct 25, 2016 8:56 PM

Nov 2008
TitanAnteus said:
So, what makes 3D in anime so unbearable? I personally think it's because 3D in anime is trying way too hard to look "anime."
Yeah, that's it.

Although, personally, there's not a single Disney or Pixar movie that I wouldn't rather have in 2D. Moving drawings are more beautiful. But the art styles do usually look better than anime CG.

Oct 25, 2016 10:19 PM

Jan 2009
zeus81 said:
2.5D is only for video games, it means that your game is in 3D but have a 2D gameplay, it's unrelated to cell shading and it makes no sense to call anime like this.
That said there's already some anime in 3D with a very good 2D feel, like currently airing Bubuki Buranki :

and the anime industry now calls anime like Bubuki Buranki as 2.5D
you can read it here http://yattatachi.com/japanese-animation-post-miyazaki
cel-shaded rendering from the anime industry perspective is another form of 2.5D which is between 2D and 3D look, just read the article already dudes

if you want to be so strict about semantics then anime is everything animation and not just animation from japan, so words change meanings too depending on the people that uses them
Oct 25, 2016 10:45 PM

Apr 2014
zeus81 said:
2.5D is only for video games, it means that your game is in 3D but have a 2D gameplay, it's unrelated to cell shading and it makes no sense to call anime like this.
That said there's already some anime in 3D with a very good 2D feel, like currently airing Bubuki Buranki :

And the upcoming Gantz movie will have a pretty decent hq 3D too :

So they know how to do both well and I don't think it's a problem of money, actually 2D cost more than 3D, but there's a lot of employees in the industry over there and a know-how they probably don't want to lose, it's even supported by the government through the anime mirai/tamago project.
Lel. To be fair, there's no such thing as 2.5D, that, if you are talking about semantics.
2.5D is just a term people create to describe something that looks like 3DCG and looks like 2D at the same time, it could be cel shaded or whatever it is tbh.
Oct 25, 2016 11:12 PM

Jul 2015
I did notice a significant increase in cgi quality when i went to go see kizumonogatari vs. What the cgi in the t.v series looks like. So i guess it's a budget issue.
Oct 26, 2016 1:23 AM

Sep 2012
Paul said:

No, Expelled from Paradise is better compare to that cheap CG. Don't judge an animation base on your opinion. Maybe you just liked the fight choreography in BRS, that's why it's more appealing to you.

This hand flick alone will give you a clue even if you're a CG illiterate.

And this is the best thing Japan came up with in terms of 2D aesthetics, compare this to any other game or anime, even just the explosions.
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/12350/animated-artist_unknown-cgi-effects-explosions-mec

Expelled from Paradise would've not won an award if it has bad CG animation.

TitanAnteus said:

Try .hack movie.
loloyOct 26, 2016 1:40 AM
Oct 26, 2016 5:50 AM

Jan 2008
loloy said:
Paul said:

No, Expelled from Paradise is better compare to that cheap CG. Don't judge an animation base on your opinion. Maybe you just liked the fight choreography in BRS, that's why it's more appealing to you.

This hand flick alone will give you a clue even if you're a CG illiterate.

And this is the best thing Japan came up with in terms of 2D aesthetics, compare this to any other game or anime, even just the explosions.
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/12350/animated-artist_unknown-cgi-effects-explosions-mec

Expelled from Paradise would've not won an award if it has bad CG animation.

The guy's comment in the skaugabooru link is what I thought of the Expelled from Paradise movie. If anything, special effects such as explosions are one of the only few things CGI has done good with.
Oct 26, 2016 8:42 AM

Sep 2012
Paul said:

The guy's comment in the skaugabooru link is what I thought of the Expelled from Paradise movie. If anything, special effects such as explosions are one of the only few things CGI has done good with.

It's pretty obvious who got a higher budget, and that's not your typical CG effects.
Oct 26, 2016 10:26 AM

Nov 2014
Yes, I think 3D should follow its own style, instead of trying to emulate 2D anime style, tho, most if not all of the studios are using this kind of technique already, in which the anime is made on a 3D plane, but given the look and feel of a 2D plane, and, it's very noticeable from the way the character is animated, the architecture and background architecture and the way the camera moves.

Polygon Studios are probably a nice addition(to the industry) and might be the proxy to a change in the industry of making better CGI movies or shows coming out of Japan. Tho, their use of 2s and 3s for 3D animation is a thing to be critiqued, as it's not really good looking and it feels choppy(or out of place), where it should feel smooth. However, animating on 1s is quite expensive and requires a ton of processing power, for which they might not have the budget for such a render farm.

Tho, I still think it'd be nice if we get a CGI animated on 1s, and, possibly not being a movie. Tho, I wouldn't expect a Tintin quality type of animation, of course. :)
Oct 26, 2016 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
ouriel said:
Yes, I think 3D should follow its own style, instead of trying to emulate 2D anime style, tho, most if not all of the studios are using this kind of technique already, in which the anime is made on a 3D plane, but given the look and feel of a 2D plane, and, it's very noticeable from the way the character is animated, the architecture and background architecture and the way the camera moves.

Polygon Studios are probably a nice addition(to the industry) and might be the proxy to a change in the industry of making better CGI movies or shows coming out of Japan. Tho, their use of 2s and 3s for 3D animation is a thing to be critiqued, as it's not really good looking and it feels choppy(or out of place), where it should feel smooth. However, animating on 1s is quite expensive and requires a ton of processing power, for which they might not have the budget for such a render farm.

Tho, I still think it'd be nice if we get a CGI animated on 1s, and, possibly not being a movie. Tho, I wouldn't expect a Tintin quality type of animation, of course. :)

Hahahaha, well they're definitely copying 2D's time and money saving modular framerates to get that feel.

That feel is a little too important to them though, and I'm curious who's to blame? Is it the fans for hating on it, or is it the studios for not wanting to change.

I mean... just here in this thread, anime like Expelled from Paradise are ragged on even though it won awards for its animation techniques in the professional world.
Oct 26, 2016 11:00 AM

Nov 2014
TitanAnteus said:
ouriel said:

Hahahaha, well they're definitely copying 2D's time and money saving modular framerates to get that feel.

That feel is a little too important to them though, and I'm curious who's to blame? Is it the fans for hating on it, or is it the studios for not wanting to change.

I mean... just here in this thread, anime like Expelled from Paradise are ragged on even though it won awards for its animation techniques in the professional world.

It's hard to pinpoint who's to blame, tho, I think the fans, as well as the Japanese culture play a role here.

In many cases on MAL, 3D for some reason is really disliked, with oft the argument of "not having the feel of anime", while still [probably] not knowing that even those anime that are deemed as 2D are on a 3D plane; then there's the possibility of leaving your comfort zone and feeling threatened by the new and disregarding it because it's just that, new.

I think there's always a place for both, 2D and 3D, there shouldn't be a rift between the two; and studios that opt out for 3D animation should embrace what the 3D technology allows them to do, instead of limiting their toolset to only emulating 2D techniques.
Oct 26, 2016 11:33 AM
Aug 2015
The Berserk films' CGI is unbearable at times, but when it's done well it looks quite amazing and adds tons of depth to the aesthetics.

More topics from this board

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 1 minute ago

0 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

17 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

62 by -YaoiBoy- »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.