Forum Settings
Forums

Why does society condemn change and try to make people follow the status quo?

New
Nov 22, 2015 7:39 AM

May 2014
It seems that no matter what the day and age is society seems to enjoy a controlled growth, one without the idea of change or revolution, rather new views are often shut out until they can no longer be contained and overflow, similiar to the scientific advancements of the 16th century or perhaps the views that all men are equal duting the enlightenment.
Lately there seems to be an encouragement of new views (Lgbt, black rights, unity amongst nations) but it is also apperant objections to these ideals are as well often shut out quite ironically.

Is it political or part of the human collective that wishes for stability?

Have fun discussing
I've been here way too long...
Nov 22, 2015 7:43 AM
Sep 2015
because people are dishonest and want to be diplomatic at the same time.
Nicolas_CageNov 22, 2015 7:52 AM
Nov 22, 2015 7:45 AM

Mar 2014
No new idea can purely be for the 'good' for a particular society. These 'new ideas' need to be filtered for the best interest of the people and this 'opposition' does exactly that - on the macro-level. However, I do agree that sometimes the orthodox resort to persecution of the unorthodox due to their fear of change and that's wrong. Society will always oppose new ideas and it is justified in doing so. But, if you think that your new idea can bring positive change in the system, then follow the system all up to the point where you've the authority to introduce your ideas with minimal opposition. Forcing your way through can be rough and history's evident that that never works.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 22, 2015 7:48 AM

May 2014
@Genio that last line of yours kinda bugs me, I feel there are plenty of examples where a revolution was the only method to which new ideas could and would have been introduced.
E.g if the French Revolution had never occured then would the world still be largely imperialistic?
Nov 22, 2015 8:07 AM

May 2015
How can a society exists without norms?

Every society has norms. That's what defines it. It's how society functions - because we have a set of norms and we can somehow predict people's actions.

The problem is, morality isn't exactly the norm. We're more tolerant of assholes than of weirdos. There's your problem right there.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 22, 2015 8:17 AM

Jun 2008
People on top don't like change, because they may not hold onto the same kind of power they had with changes that they didn't chose themselves.
Nov 22, 2015 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
Rocking the boat makes waves.

Human waves tend to get cut down by machinegun fire.

And inspite of claims War doesn't make wealth, it simply transfers it from one party to another.

So Stability on the one hand.

On the other just human nature.

If you invest in something, serve something, make a living or money off of something, you become set in your ways as you get older, and a fresh young face, with fresh ideas is a direct threat to you and yours.
Nov 22, 2015 8:22 AM

Jul 2015
Because the status quo they set is made for the "betterment" of society.
Nov 22, 2015 8:45 AM

Mar 2014
TheConquerer said:
@Genio that last line of yours kinda bugs me, I feel there are plenty of examples where a revolution was the only method to which new ideas could and would have been introduced.
E.g if the French Revolution had never occured then would the world still be largely imperialistic?

A revolution is one thing, a rebellion is another. A revolution is when you have an overwhelming majority on your part. A rebellion is when you're just a minority forcing your way through. For revolution to be successful, condition is to have so many people on your disposal that no one would be left to oppose you after you assume authority. In a rebellion, that is never the case. Even if a rebellion turns out to be successful, there would still be enough people left to oppose you after you come to the throne.

RedArmyShogun said:

And inspite of claims War doesn't make wealth, it simply transfers it from one party to another.

If you invest in something, serve something, make a living or money off of something, you become set in your ways as you get older, and a fresh young face, with fresh ideas is a direct threat to you and yours.

Beautiful.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 22, 2015 9:12 AM

Jan 2015
RedArmyShogun said:

Quality literacy on a MAL thread? I salute thee.
Nov 22, 2015 9:13 AM
Mar 2011
thatsthe right for you
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 22, 2015 9:17 AM

May 2014
@Genio ah I think I see, rebellions are almost like an opposite of revolutions in a sense, stability is upset for an unstable view where a revolution usually projects forward a new form of thought and sense.

@Redarmy, that is some thing to think about, very interesting.
Nov 22, 2015 9:19 AM

Mar 2015
Status quo = profit for the people at the top

Changing the status quo = threatening their lifestyle. Hence change is always condemned.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 10 hours ago

16 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
17 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

75 by cody »»
19 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

27 by Astachanna »»
2 hours ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.