Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2015 10:47 AM

Jun 2014
Hi guys,I'm only at episode 4 but for what I've understood as for now,the kid killed the 3 persons in the hospital trough poisoned candy. But how he could knew they where going to eat candy?! Where did he pick the poison? How did he poisoned the candy without opening the bag?! And again, how he could knew they where going to eat candy?!!!!

I apologize if this was asked before,but I need the answer because it will determine if I'm going to drop this anime.
So the question is:does all this have a very hard rock solid explanation or is just a huge plot hole?
Jun 6, 2015 10:49 AM

Dec 2013
You can't ask that while having seen only 4 episodes. Watch it and find out jezus.
Jun 6, 2015 10:50 AM

Jan 2013
Soo ... you want to drop an anime because it doesnt explain a certain part in the first 4 episodes.
Might aswell drop every anime out there then I guess.
Jun 6, 2015 10:51 AM

Jun 2014
I can ask actually,the point is to not wasting my time watching more if it has a plot hole this big. Not asking the details like "he can poison things with the mind on the fly,is a superpower!", just asking if this plot hole has a solid explanation that make it not a plot hole.
Jun 6, 2015 10:53 AM

Jan 2013
MarcusAseth said:
I can ask actually,the point is to not wasting my time watching more if it has a plot hole this big. Not asking the details like "he can poison things with the mind on the fly,is a superpower!", just asking if this plot hole has a solid explanation that make it not a plot hole.

If you're asking if it will be explained ... yes it will be.
Not saying on what episode, you just have to keep watching.
Jun 6, 2015 10:54 AM

Jun 2014
So you are very much positive that it isn't a plot hole at all?
Jun 6, 2015 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
MarcusAseth said:

Correct
Jun 6, 2015 10:56 AM

Jun 2014
Ok,I'll keep watching then. But I swear to gods,if I watch it hall and this is still a plot hole till the end (meaning you tricked me into watching it just because it a masterpiece regardless of the plot hole) I'm going to rate it 1 and screw the whole rating! xD

Thx for the help guys :)
Jun 6, 2015 10:56 AM

Jan 2013
MarcusAseth said:
Ok,I'll keep watching then. But I swear to gods,if I watch it hall and this is still a plot hole till the end (meaning you tricked me into watching it just because it a masterpiece regardless of the plot hole) I'm going to rate it 1 and screw the whole rating! xD

Thx for the help guys :)

Dont worry, it'll be explained, I'm not tricking you.
Not saying it's a masterpiece either, it's a good show for sure though.
Jun 6, 2015 10:59 AM

Jun 2014
Yes,I'm liking it so far :D Only had bad experiences with other anime that left huge plot holes behind which bother me to this day,so I don't want to repeat that stuff xD
Jul 18, 2015 11:18 AM

Dec 2008
this thing actually never get explained.

Jul 18, 2015 11:41 AM

Dec 2012
Most of Johan manipulation doesn't get explained. The show just paints him as the embodiment of evil, almost supernatural like and stops there.
Jun 19, 2017 1:47 PM
Sep 2014
tsudecimo said:
Most of Johan manipulation doesn't get explained. The show just paints him as the embodiment of evil, almost supernatural like and stops there.

Yep... to be honest this show is mediocre at best.
Does not explain how or why does Johan do all these things.
Many plot holes...
Slow development...
Bad sound/music
Bad unimproved characters even after 70+episodes
Stupid ending...
Sep 10, 2017 1:11 AM

Jun 2016
The poison candy can't really be explained and is probably the biggest plothole of the entire show. It isn't impossible, but even for an incredible villain like Johan, it's just too farfetched. But the journey of Monster more than makes up issue like that.

m2iceman said:
tsudecimo said:

Yep... to be honest this show is mediocre at best.
Does not explain how or why does Johan do all these things.
Many plot holes...
Slow development...
Bad sound/music
Bad unimproved characters even after 70+episodes
Stupid ending...

- Not getting explanations of how Johan's plans and actions went out is not a flaw of the show. This is not Death Note, where you see how the "smart" character came up with incredible plans.
- I'd say most of the plot holes you're thinking of can certainly be explained. Not saying it isn't flawed as there are contrivances, but I'd be interested to hear what you thought were plot holes
- Slow development =/= bad
- The music was perfectly fine and suited the tone and atmosphere of the show.
- The characters were one of the best parts of the show. Tenma, Johan, Nina, Lunge, Eva, etc. all got stunning development throughout the show.
- Stupid ending? I beg to differ. You could call it anti-climactic, but it does fits the show if you understand what it was trying to do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2019 8:52 AM
Nov 2015
The best explanation I've heard about this is that the poison was available in the hospital itself and he used the syringes to inject them into the candy as to how he knew that they would pick the candy he didn't? But he wanted to kill them so this was his best option without arousing suspicion
Jan 12, 2020 6:52 PM

Jan 2020
Another plot hole is why Johan keep delusioning about the book called "Monster without a Name".
Mar 17, 2020 3:18 PM

May 2015
Rewatching it and decided to read comments (didn't do that the first time) and found this thread.

Ok... let's try to explain a little what can be explained and what not but you can for sure deduct from the entire story.

The candies, can be easily injected with a syringe without opening the candy bag.
Who injected those candies?? well... it could be Johan, who waked up in the night, walked to the hospital infirmary and took the substance, and injected it himself, another theory would be that he forced someone to do it (if you saw the entire story then you should know that with the experiments in Kinderheim 511 he somehow were able to hypnotize people once he knew the darkness inside them or something along those lines)
And finally at first when the 3 doctors died you think is poison, but when the officers died later on the story is revealed that it wasn't POISON it was a MUSCULAR RELAXANT so while poison it might be hard to get in a hospital the relaxant certainly doesn't. Therefore i don't consider that a plot hole at all, more like a "use ur imagination and think with logic how could it be done" while thinking in the setting of the story of course.
Aug 11, 2020 1:42 PM
Aug 2020
Regarding how Johan knew that someone would end up taking the candy that was meant for him, my assumption is that the same doctor had stolen Johan's candy before
Aug 11, 2020 1:53 PM

Aug 2018
I did wonder about this since it was never explained in the anime, but yeah there are many possibilities. I think it could be that he knew someone would steal the candy since alot of people in the country didnt like the family that adopted him or he had it poisoned before it was delivered as a gift..idek lmao

Aug 12, 2020 4:00 AM
Aug 13, 2020 12:20 AM

Oct 2018
Nikiforova said:
Would you drop Shingeki no Kyojin because it's not explained what's the origin of titans in the first couple of episodes? That 'mystery' tag has it's purpose.

I beg to differ, SNK is a fantasy, people usually give more stretch to suspension of disbelief. Forget the titan origin, how exactly those 3d maneuver devices working? That thing completely defied physics law.Monster takes place in the real world, we expected everything happen according to how things happen in our world with a little bit stretch here and there. A genius kid kills 3 people, that's acceptable, but how he knows those 3 will pick the poisoned candy? IMHO, that is actually a legit question.
Aug 13, 2020 12:27 AM

Jul 2019
SupervisorHasira said:
Nikiforova said:
Would you drop Shingeki no Kyojin because it's not explained what's the origin of titans in the first couple of episodes? That 'mystery' tag has it's purpose.

I beg to differ, SNK is a fantasy, people usually give more stretch to suspension of disbelief. Forget the titan origin, how exactly those 3d maneuver devices working? That thing completely defied physics law.Monster takes place in the real world, we expected everything happen according to how things happen in our world with a little bit stretch here and there. A genius kid kills 3 people, that's acceptable, but how he knows those 3 will pick the poisoned candy? IMHO, that is actually a legit question.

Legit question and you will get a legit answer on it. There is a reason why Monster lasts 74 episodes.
Oct 26, 2020 12:13 PM

Jan 2014
Plot twist. You're all overthinking it. Johan poisoned the candy because he's a jackass. Didn't matter who stole the candy, it just happened to be the director and those 2 doctors. Anyone who steals candy from an unconscious child is scum anyways, amirite?

"but wait... doesn't Johan explicitly tell Tenma the murders were an act of gratitude for resurrecting him"? Nope, Johan just took credit for their deaths after the fact. Also, if he's SOOOOO grateful for Tenma's favor, why commit all those murders in such a way that makes Tenma out to be the prime suspect?

-Krouton-Oct 26, 2020 12:40 PM
Signature is too edgy for me.
Oct 26, 2020 1:40 PM

Jul 2017
Well, if such a minor "plot hole" bothers you so much to the point of dropping such a complex and intricate show in which the main point isn't explaining the strategies of a manipulative villain, you might as well drop at least half the things you watch...

-Krouton- said:
Plot twist. You're all overthinking it. Johan poisoned the candy because he's a jackass. Didn't matter who stole the candy, it just happened to be the director and those 2 doctors. Anyone who steals candy from an unconscious child is scum anyways, amirite?

"but wait... doesn't Johan explicitly tell Tenma the murders were an act of gratitude for resurrecting him"? Nope, Johan just took credit for their deaths after the fact. Also, if he's SOOOOO grateful for Tenma's favor, why commit all those murders in such a way that makes Tenma out to be the prime suspect?

This is pretty much the most accurate reply to your question.
And, as some people are saying, it's kinda easy to poison candies when you're in a hospital. Just enter some area full of medicines, take one that is poisonous enough or any random medicine at a really high dose, inject it in the candies and you're done.

Edit: I've realized I've come kinda late for this LMAO.
Dec 29, 2020 3:05 AM

Jun 2015
I think you confuse "plot-hole" with "plot-convenience"
Dec 30, 2020 4:22 PM

May 2018
Its just a little plot-convinience to get the story rolling.
And I can guarantee its worth it.
Jan 1, 2021 6:45 AM
Jun 2015
This kid. Omfg you're FOUR episodes in! Keep watching it, dumbass. Useless thread.
Jan 1, 2021 10:19 AM
Jan 2018
I suggest you try to be patient, Monster is kind if a slow burn show.
May 24, 2021 6:55 PM

Mar 2013
PrOxAnto said:
MarcusAseth said:

Correct
Apparently, this never got explained. Sad.
May 25, 2021 2:22 AM

Aug 2020
revengerofdeath said:
PrOxAnto said:

Correct
Apparently, this never got explained. Sad.

Nah better left unexplained.
May 25, 2021 2:23 AM

Nov 2020
MarcusAseth said:
Hi guys,I'm only at episode 4 but for what I've understood as for now,the kid killed the 3 persons in the hospital trough poisoned candy. But how he could knew they where going to eat candy?! Where did he pick the poison? How did he poisoned the candy without opening the bag?! And again, how he could knew they where going to eat candy?!!!!

I apologize if this was asked before,but I need the answer because it will determine if I'm going to drop this anime.
So the question is:does all this have a very hard rock solid explanation or is just a huge plot hole?

There won't be an explanation. Johan is very smart, just assume he had some way of doing it
Jun 1, 2021 6:10 AM
Feb 2021
This IS a plot hole. You have to assume too much absurd things in order for this to make any sense.

How could Johan poison the candies if he's a 10 year old child with no medical expertise?

Let's just go through this:

- Johan was probably conscious when he did all this (this is kinda weird, since he got shot in the head not too long before this and he's supposed to be in coma)

- He doesn't have any supernatural powers

- He doesn't know anything about poisonous substances

- Nobody helps him in commiting this

- For some reason he suspects that the doctors would eat his candy

- He must've inject every candy in the bag to make sure that all of them get poisoned lol

This is just so absurd and Urasawa doesn't give us any explanation for this.

If you still think that this isn't a plot hole, just ask yourself: which possibility is more likely?

1) Your 15 minute explanation which somehow manages to make things even more absurd and unreasonable

2) Urasawa just simply forgot about this

And there are worse plot holes in this story than this, still a lot of fans don't want to except this and continue to call this manga realistic lmao
WillgensteinJun 1, 2021 6:13 AM
Jun 1, 2021 6:18 AM
Feb 2021
SupervisorHasira said:
Nikiforova said:

You and the guy with the Meruem prof picture are the sound of reason in this thread. Like that guys theory is hilarious but still makes more sense than any explanation by others.
Jun 1, 2021 12:44 PM

Mar 2013
Franz Bonaparta poisoned the candies. With the same poison (nitric acid) he used in the Red Mansion. Johan took credit because personality disorder...
revengerofdeathJun 15, 2021 2:30 PM
Jun 15, 2021 2:37 PM

Mar 2013
It's kinda tricky, but according to episode 14 the candies weren't poisoned when the package was sealed

Eva went at the hospital after Johan met her sister and was able to take a picture of her father and Johan.
Aug 7, 2021 9:51 AM

Jan 2014
revengerofdeath said:
Franz Bonaparta poisoned the candies. With the same poison (nitric acid) he used in the Red Mansion. Johan took credit because personality disorder...

When, why, and how?

Wasn't Bonaparta in Ruhenheim at this point? Writing books and shit. Why target the director and/or doctors? Were they his target, or was it Johan? If he was targeting the directors, then it's still pretty convenient. If he was targeting Johan then what did he think was gonna happen? Ok actually that last point is believable.

Could you clarify? I haven't read the novel so I'm just going off of what I see in the anime.
Signature is too edgy for me.
Aug 7, 2021 10:42 AM

Mar 2013
-Krouton- said:
revengerofdeath said:

When, why, and how?

Wasn't Bonaparta in Ruhenheim at this point? Writing books and shit. Why target the director and/or doctors? Were they his target, or was it Johan? If he was targeting the directors, then it's still pretty convenient. If he was targeting Johan then what did he think was gonna happen? Ok actually that last point is believable.

Could you clarify? I haven't read the novel so I'm just going off of what I see in the anime.
Johan did it. Don't know how
Aug 10, 2021 5:54 AM

Mar 2021
Honestly the first time I watched it, I thought somebody from the outside was trying to poison Johan and unintentionally poisons the director and a bunch of other doctors.

This plot hole and a couple of other mysterious around Johan don't get explained though. I think Naoki Urasawa created a character that was too intelligent for him to handle.

Johan is a well written character by all means, it's just the execution could have been better.
Jun 12, 2022 9:41 AM
May 2021
I agree, this single story point really put me off from the whole show. Like, i can not get behind this story with my immersion relying on bying the fact that a small kid poisoned people dr.tenma wanted "better off dead" via random candies in a random package in a room full of random boxes and it all being on purpose.... like cmon , get out of here, its bs..
Jun 12, 2022 7:10 PM

Aug 2020
Willgenstein said:
This IS a plot hole. You have to assume too much absurd things in order for this to make any sense.

How could Johan poison the candies if he's a 10 year old child with no medical expertise?
you don't need to have medical expertise to know x, y, z.

Willgenstein said:
Let's just go through this:

- Johan was probably conscious when he did all this (this is kinda weird, since he got shot in the head not too long before this and he's supposed to be in coma)
well, he just woke up when Tenma confessed his anger to the director in front of him.

Willgenstein said:
- He doesn't have any supernatural powers
wait, why relate supernatural powers to this tbw?

Willgenstein said:
- He doesn't know anything about poisonous substances
how do you know that he doesn't know about poisons?

Willgenstein said:
- Nobody helps him in commiting this
again, proof.

Willgenstein said:
- For some reason he suspects that the doctors would eat his candy
not necessarily. You haven't considered other possibilities.

Willgenstein said:
- He must've inject every candy in the bag to make sure that all of them get poisoned lol
"inject every candy" that's another assumption as if that's the only way possible.

Willgenstein said:
This is just so absurd and Urasawa doesn't give us any explanation for this.

If you still think that this isn't a plot hole, just ask yourself: which possibility is more likely?

1) Your 15 minute explanation which somehow manages to make things even more absurd and unreasonable
you can try me. I mean so far there's nothing absurd on my part.

Willgenstein said:
2) Urasawa just simply forgot about this
or he DID NOT forget and instead left them blank intentionally which is pretty much 1) above.

Willgenstein said:
And there are worse plot holes in this story than this,
enlighten me.

Willgenstein said:
still a lot of fans don't want to except this and continue to call this manga realistic lmao
i watched the anime so idk about the manga but it seems this claim should be pit on hold.
Jun 12, 2022 7:30 PM

Aug 2020
@kkokoula i see no one wished to you yet so, happy birthday.
Jun 12, 2022 7:43 PM

Aug 2020
kkokoula said:
TRC_Randy said:
@kkokoula i see no one wished to you yet so, happy birthday.

Jun 12, 2022 8:04 PM

Aug 2020
kkokoula said:
TRC_Randy said:

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

88 by wallus81 »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

625 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

158 by wallus81 »»
Apr 28, 2:00 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

138 by wallus81 »»
Apr 28, 1:36 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.