Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 30, 2015 11:59 AM

Apr 2013
Shocked said:
Not only do I believe School Days receives far too much hate, but Makoto Itou is treated a scapegoat for everyone's frustrations. Seriously, the entire cast is screwed up and the hate should be distributed throughout. These are terrible people. Not terrible characters mind you, as if evident by the ending, it was planned for these characters to be unlikable. Whether the show is good or not, it at least followed through with its intentions with a very nice boat.

Now that I've said that, I don't deny that School Days shouldn't be hated. It's a show that's not fun to watch, and enjoyment comes from watching this initially innocent school romance/ecchi comedy turn into something horrific. It's fine to dislike it, as the point of the show is to make you hate the characters. However, I disagree with people who call it a bad show outright. There's a difference between a horrific show and a horrible show, just as there's a difference between a terrible person and a terrible character.

Honestly, I'd be okay with all criticisms if the entire cast was hated, but every time I see hate only directed towards Makoto Itou, it just gives the impression that he was the only character who did anything wrong. That's...Did you even watch the same show I did?

Couldn't have said it better. When I ever I read someone's negative opinion towards school days it's always about Makoto. I mean sure he steeped around a lot, but that doesn't make him evil. So many people seem to forget about the two psychopathic murderers in the cast. When do you actually see someone hating on Kotonaha for being a crazy mutilating bitch, or Sekai for being a manipulative killer? Almost never. This says a lot about the culture in anime. What I'm trying to say is the "white knight" culture is prevalent among fans of anime, which is why we get so many bland "nice" guys who get all the chicks in harem shows.

The majority are willing to enjoy incest shows like Oreimo but an MC who cheats is just wayyyy too much for them to handle lol.
Apr 30, 2015 1:01 PM
Apr 2015
NudeBear said:
Shocked said:
Not only do I believe School Days receives far too much hate, but Makoto Itou is treated a scapegoat for everyone's frustrations. Seriously, the entire cast is screwed up and the hate should be distributed throughout. These are terrible people. Not terrible characters mind you, as if evident by the ending, it was planned for these characters to be unlikable. Whether the show is good or not, it at least followed through with its intentions with a very nice boat.

Now that I've said that, I don't deny that School Days shouldn't be hated. It's a show that's not fun to watch, and enjoyment comes from watching this initially innocent school romance/ecchi comedy turn into something horrific. It's fine to dislike it, as the point of the show is to make you hate the characters. However, I disagree with people who call it a bad show outright. There's a difference between a horrific show and a horrible show, just as there's a difference between a terrible person and a terrible character.

Honestly, I'd be okay with all criticisms if the entire cast was hated, but every time I see hate only directed towards Makoto Itou, it just gives the impression that he was the only character who did anything wrong. That's...Did you even watch the same show I did?

Couldn't have said it better. When I ever I read someone's negative opinion towards school days it's always about Makoto. I mean sure he steeped around a lot, but that doesn't make him evil. So many people seem to forget about the two psychopathic murderers in the cast. When do you actually see someone hating on Kotonaha for being a crazy mutilating bitch, or Sekai for being a manipulative killer? Almost never. This says a lot about the culture in anime. What I'm trying to say is the "white knight" culture is prevalent among fans of anime, which is why we get so many bland "nice" guys who get all the chicks in harem shows.

The majority are willing to enjoy incest shows like Oreimo but an MC who cheats is just wayyyy too much for them to handle lol.

^ x2
Apr 30, 2015 1:14 PM

Aug 2014
Males can cheat. Its only pleasure of the flesh. Its like a handshake. Nothing more.

Females shouldnt cheat. When they cheat, it involves passion and romance, and it can damage relationships.
Apr 30, 2015 1:25 PM

May 2012
jal90 said:
PoeticJustice said:

School Days is more realistic than most anime.

Yes but irrelevant. It is realistic because it doesn't have implausible physical elements. That doesn't mean that it is in any way likely. Case extremes do exist, but they don't usually take place. And this series is nothing more or less than that: case extreme after case extreme after case extreme.

First of all, there are very few extremities on the show. The ending, and the amount of sex makoto has. That is it. What makes it realistic is the character's responses to the various circumstances in which they are placed.
Apr 30, 2015 1:26 PM

Aug 2014
PoeticJustice said:
jal90 said:

Yes but irrelevant. It is realistic because it doesn't have implausible physical elements. That doesn't mean that it is in any way likely. Case extremes do exist, but they don't usually take place. And this series is nothing more or less than that: case extreme after case extreme after case extreme.

First of all, there are very few extremities on the show. The ending, and the amount of sex makoto has. That is it. What makes it realistic is the character's responses to the various circumstances in which they are placed.

Just wish Makoto had a better personality, like Spike from Bebop. Makoto's just soo bland.
Apr 30, 2015 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
y123y said:
PoeticJustice said:

Just wish Makoto had a better personality, like Spike from Bebop. Makoto's just soo bland.

Correction, you wish Makoto had a personality that pertained to your tastes. Makotos personality was anything but bland.
Apr 30, 2015 1:30 PM

May 2012
NudeBear said:
y123y said:

Correction, you wish Makoto had a personality that pertained to your tastes. Makotos personality was anything but bland.

This. Makoto's personality complimented the rest of the cast. The show doesn't try to make him seem likable by giving him charisma.
Apr 30, 2015 1:32 PM

Aug 2014
Its amazing how the bland male MC's in romance animes are always the most popular ones: Kokoro Connect, White Album 2.

Yet when the male MC isnt bland, the anime and the male MC always gets criticized: White Album 1.
Apr 30, 2015 1:35 PM

Sep 2014
I wouldn't say it's the worst anime ever, but I do think it is seriously bad. The MC was so incredibly cringeworthy that I almost died a few times.

I agree with OP that threesomes are realistic and in fact easy to have, but that's not what it makes it unrealistic to me. It's the over-the-top stupidity of the characters that does.
Apr 30, 2015 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
Grubelgrub said:
I wouldn't say it's the worst anime ever, but I do think it is seriously bad. The MC was so incredibly cringeworthy that I almost died a few times.

I agree with OP that threesomes are realistic and in fact easy to have, but that's not what it makes it unrealistic to me. It's the over-the-top stupidity of the characters that does.

In SD, it was a foursome actually >_>
Apr 30, 2015 1:40 PM

Apr 2014
Yes, it's pretty overhated, because of the morally questionable actions the characters take, and I guess people prefer romance stories with characters that seem more pure and innocent.
Personally, I thought they executed the story very well with each episode getting progressively darker and more fucked up before the big, gory finale.

I also quite liked Makoto. What he did was pretty despicable but he showed on a few occasions a lot of self reflection. He seemed to feel genuinely remorse for his actions and even called himself the worst. That's more depth than any male harem lead could ever show.
I quite liked that scene in episode 11 when all the girls he slept with blocked his number and he was left alone with nobody to talk to, before meeting with Kotonoha again. He then embraced her leaving his hands around her waist instead on her ass, like what we would have done in the beginning of the series.
Apr 30, 2015 1:44 PM

Sep 2014
y123y said:
Grubelgrub said:

In SD, it was a foursome actually >_>

That's true. I stand corrected, good sir!

But my main point still stands.
Apr 30, 2015 1:44 PM

Feb 2015
There are waaaaaaay more overrated shows.
Also school days is more hated then loved i think.

Even though it is not as bad as many make it seem, first half was good middle was bullshit (although more juicy and faster) ending episoded reedemed it .

Although i cant take it seriosly after played the game version it owns.
ExowaveApr 30, 2015 1:48 PM
Apr 30, 2015 1:45 PM

Apr 2013
Halicone said:
Yes, it's pretty overhated, because of the morally questionable actions the characters take, and I guess people prefer romance stories with characters that seem more pure and innocent.
Personally, I thought they executed the story very well with each episode getting progressively darker and more fucked up before the big, gory finale.

I also quite liked Makoto. What he did was pretty despicable but he showed on a few occasions a lot of self reflection. He seemed to feel genuinely remorse for his actions and even called himself the worst. That's more depth than any male harem lead could ever show.
I quite liked that scene in episode 11 when all the girls he slept with blocked his number and he was left alone with nobody to talk to, before meeting with Kotonoha again. He then embraced her leaving his hands around her waist instead on her ass, like what we would have done in the beginning of the series.

Self reflection, remorse, and redemption, and yet people still have the nerve to call him one dimensional and/or bland. I'm glad to know that there are other people who actually paid attention to School days. +100 post
Apr 30, 2015 1:49 PM

Oct 2010
PoeticJustice said:
jal90 said:

Oh yeah very few...

An implied rape, students having sex at school and being filmed for laughs and harassment, two psycho girls in murderous ways, a girl offering her body to Makoto for a deal... All of this happening in the same little realm with the same group of characters.

I want to know which high school were you from to find these things and behaviors normal in 16-year-olds. It's not like the show is better or worse for being extreme and improbable, so I don't get your issue with trying to make it appear perfectly normal and mundane.
Apr 30, 2015 1:51 PM

Aug 2014
Jal90,

SD is realistic in this sense:

All males want to be in Makoto's position. Whether its at their neighborhood, workplace, other places, etc., all males want to be as lucky as Makoto. Of course, minus the surprise pregnancy and boat ending.

We males want chicks!!!!

The only males who dont want tons of chicks are the ones who are in love because they only have tunnel vision for one person.
Apr 30, 2015 1:55 PM

May 2012
jal90 said:
PoeticJustice said:

Oh yeah very few...

An implied rape, students having sex at school and being filmed for laughs and harassment, two psycho girls in murderous ways, a girl offering her body to Makoto for a deal... All of this happening in the same little realm with the same group of characters.

I want to know which high school were you from to find these things and behaviors normal in 16-year-olds. It's not like the show is better or worse for being extreme and improbable so I don't get your issue with trying to make it appear perfectly normal and mundane either.

Fine, rape is extreme but bullying is not. There are loads of people doing fucked up stuff to one another. The girls were not "psycho" for no reason. Considering what they went through, especially Kotonoha, it would be believable for them to have some sort of psychotic break.

Look I am not trying to say it captures real life or whatever, what I am saying is that their responses to situations that they are placed in can be considered realistic. Every circumstance was provided some sort of context, nothing was contrived. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.
Apr 30, 2015 1:55 PM

Dec 2012
I gotta say, compared to the renegade sex maniac aristocrats in European plays and dramas, Makoto is like an innocent flower of virgin's purity. These guys literally make a sport out of bedding another man's wife and then deflowering his daughter as a constellation prize. What's more, if it could ruin the woman's reputation and livelihood, they were even more passionate about it.

Makoto has nothing on the real sex fiends.
Apr 30, 2015 2:02 PM

Oct 2010
PoeticJustice said:
Fine, rape is extreme but bullying is not. There are loads of people doing fucked up stuff to one another. The girls were not "psycho" for no reason. Considering what they went through, especially Kotonoha, it would be believable for them to have some sort of psychotic break.

Which is extreme (and this form of bullying is at the very least quite, eh, alternative). Note that I haven't left the idea of it being realistic. It's just that I don't think it is something that worth of merit. It is realistic because it lacks fantasy elements. Because the events here can happen in physical reality.

PoeticJustice said:
Look I am not trying to say it captures real life or whatever, what I am saying is that their responses to situations that they are placed in can be considered realistic. Every circumstance was provided some sort of context, nothing was contrived. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.

Then I guess I misinterpreted. I should rewatch the show because it's been a long while. But it didn't strike me as specially relatable or accurate in these matters, more like the contrary. But hey, I watched it five years ago... who knows. I'll check it again someday.
Apr 30, 2015 2:08 PM

Aug 2014
Everyone wants to be Makoto.

But I wanna be the male MC of Yosuga Sora.
Apr 30, 2015 2:09 PM

May 2013
They are all just jealous of the Makoto, they want to feel the wrath of the yandere themselves. : /
May 10, 2015 3:28 PM
May 2015
I don't know about over-hated but can we all agree that it's a bad anime or at least not very good?

Just to get my vote in...I do hate School Days.
Jun 10, 2015 3:40 PM

Dec 2014
It's like Justin Bieber or Twilight, It's cool to hate.
I don't even think most of the people that hate it ever watched it. They probably saw a couple of anime reviewers bashing it and figured they should hate it too.
Jun 10, 2015 3:42 PM

Jun 2014
I think it is, honestly. & I don't know why people praise the ending because he died.
Jun 15, 2015 1:49 PM

Mar 2014
Well I played a few routes in the VN before watching the anime so I knew what I was getting into.

I think the main issue with SD is that it has almost none of the internal monologueing you usually get in anime. It presents things to you as if you were simply a spectator.

This is what makes SD so hard to watch. You need to really pay attention to whats happening as to understand what's going on.

Take Makoto for example. For the first few episodes he really is basically a sexually charged virgin that suddenly Katsura as a girlfriend. BUT suddenly the girl who sets you up with said girlfriend -Sekai- suddenly kisses you and starts giving you fucking mixed signals, while at the same time said girlfriend is cockblocking you and your ravageing hormones (perfectly reasonable reaction for Katsura, but she NEVER explains to Makoto clearly that she has difficulty dealing with men in general and that she wants to be intimate too; being shy sucks)

Then they start "practice" and at first Makoto agrees to it because it seems to make sense. You really have to pay attention how Sekai offers the special training. She never mentions anything other than "learning a girls heart or something". The clueless teenager that he is our protagonist agrees, and from there it escalates until they end up fucking.

It's at this point you have to note that all this happens behind Katsura's back. And since Sekai acts okay with it at first, Makoto gets the detestable idea in his head that it's completely OKAY to fuck other girls as long as no-one finds out.

Fast forward to Kotonoha finding out about them. Makoto knows he likes Sekai but at the same time he pities Kotonoha. And knowing full well that he betrayed her starts avoiding her (he's being a total pussy here and not manning up). This lasts a VERY long time so by the end Makoto thinks they've more or less broken up.

Fast forward some more and even more girls throw themselves at our by now worst MC. At this point he's been with 3 girls and none of them were his girlfriend at the time he popped the cherry. So it wouldn't be surprising for him to think that what he's doing is just a normal thing.

It goes on an on. But really in the end. I found SD enjoyable as a viewer. To enjoy it you really need to be paying attention to every scene. SD is subtle in comparison to other animes with showing how each person feels. And understanding the character's motives rely on the viewer "knowing" the current relationships between characters and more importantly how each character currently views the others and their relationships.

SD is NOT flashy in it's execution. Everything is subtle like they are in real life.
Matoko is the result of taking your run of the mill nice-to-girls-but-clueless-at-understanding-how-they-feel Harem MC and placing him in a harem filled with your typical harem archetypes. BUT write them as if they we're real people.

TL;DR:

Harems RARELY Work
Misunderstandings can ruin your life
NOT breaking up with someone is sometimes the cruellest thing you could do
Guys need to be firm in their decisions, most girls will tend to wait for the guy to settle things

All in all SD succeeds at being a great PSYCHOLOGICAL anime. Anyone who is'nt treating it as such will naturally hate it.
Jun 15, 2015 1:50 PM

Apr 2014
Tell me about it
Jun 15, 2015 3:08 PM

Mar 2014
Just finished the last two episodes and gotten to think about it some more.

Even Makoto's shitty attitude and decisions can be traced back to the moment Sekai kissed him before his date with Kotonoha. If I were suddenly kissed and left alone like that when I was in highschool no doubt I'd be itching for more. That's the trigger.

Sekai isn't really at fault either. At the beginning she LOVES Makoto. But sees the picture of Kotonoha on his phone. But Sekai is a nice girl so she helps him by playing matchmaker. IF Sekai had been more selfish and taken Makoto for herself then and there then School Days would be a RomCom.

In the end, just like the real world, sometimes no one really is at fault. Sometimes the universe just happens to stab you in the back.

Though even if nothing changed. had Makoto/Kotonoha/or Sekai talked it all out together rather than beating around the bush about it. SD would have a nice ending.

Honestly I'd rate this as a 9/10. Once you get over the stigma it has for being shit and all the Makoto hate. I found everything made sense in the end. Even all the shit that happened in "Everyone's Makoto" when I thought about it for a while.
Jun 15, 2015 3:09 PM
Feb 2014
No no, there is definitely anime around that people hate more
Jun 16, 2015 11:09 AM

Nov 2013
Pretty sure SAO and Naruto have more haters than this.
Jun 19, 2015 4:33 PM
Jun 2015
Well. I don't hate this show but I didn't like how Kotonoha was dragged into all this shit. She was alone and was kinda not so sad. She was so innocent and she loves him so much still he did so bad to her. In the end I didn't liked how the MC was killed. Overall a nice anime but didn't like what happened with Kotonoha.
May 18, 2017 11:08 AM

May 2016
Pretty much many people hate it because they hate the MC but... common... If you hate one character that doesn't mean the series is bad.
May 18, 2017 11:11 AM

Jan 2017
school days is great i have no idea why dos the people hate it i gave it a 9/10 on mal
but anyway t is not the most hated anime the most hated anime is maybe sao for no clear reason and mars of destruction and skelterxheaven and usagi no drop or something like that
Nov 1, 2017 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know why many people hate it...but the way I see it, I see it as almost like it's based from a true story .. including the ending as well
Jun 17, 2021 5:51 AM

Dec 2019
No, the worst series of all time is Yosuga no Sora, it's even worse than Pupa.
Jun 17, 2021 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
It's not great but it did what it wanted to do really effectively. It's a solid 5/10 nowhere near the worst anime ever
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is School Days a misunderstood masterpiece?

SkyEatsOcean - Jan 30, 2015

49 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 5:32 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ranivus - Sep 20, 2007

1286 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 5:23 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

OriginalName - Sep 12, 2007

207 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 4:11 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cyruz - Sep 5, 2007

204 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 3:35 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DeleteMe3409 - Aug 29, 2007

177 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 2:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.