Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2010 11:19 PM

Jul 2010
yeah I'm not impressed by the story : /

hopefully it eventually makes up with good action.
Jul 24, 2010 11:29 PM

Jun 2009
Wow that was boring. Not exactly boring but quite disappointing. But fighting scenes were good but really, they should make this into a series. Because at the end it felt like that girl Yuu, is going to be the next enemy. But still, I had high expectations for this because of the epic trailer but it let me down. 6/10. I can still rate it low but hey, there's other OVA's that sucked even more than this.
jjihhyeJul 25, 2010 4:51 AM

Jul 24, 2010 11:30 PM
Jun 2010
I don't mind if they decide to do one 50min ova and not to do 12 episode long anime. And anyone didin't have say actually there won't be more.

And now about anime. I loved it. Thats it. ^^

Music, scenes and story in this was better than i was expecting, and it is true this left more questions now when i watched it but now i have reason read manga and wait
patiently for more and time when it come here for buy it. And if ppl now try say something about manga like it was great and this ova was crap.

One thing was funny where i laugh much was:
"My name is Mato"
"It's cool name"

In here where i live Mato means Worm :D

And soz about my bad english..
Jul 24, 2010 11:37 PM

Feb 2009
It seems as though I'm one of the very few who actually enjoyed the school girl moments most? It took until the end for me to understand who BRS was and why I should bother caring about whether or not she wins against her battle, and when I see two random girls who I know nothing about fighting, I don't care. But once I understood everything, I enjoyed the fight scenes just as much, but by then there was only one left.
Jul 24, 2010 11:41 PM

Jun 2008
Seemed more like like a 1st episode, than a full OVA. I hope this will be like KissXSis & have an anime series following the OVA.

Good, but seemed like just the beginning. I want more. A lot more.

That basketball manager's hair looked like it jumped out of Shiki. Very choppy hair style.

I really felt bad for Yomi...it hurts so bad when you have a friend that close and they start to hang out with somebody else & get really close to them.
Jul 24, 2010 11:52 PM

Jan 2010
The fuck did I watch?
I was so bored... Not enterained at all.
What the hell?

The trailer was way more enjoyable...

I am disappointed with what I've seen.
I knew from the trailer something like that would not fit in a 50 minute OVA.

ugh.
Jul 24, 2010 11:56 PM

Jul 2010
What would make the story more original is if they end up becoming lovers : p
Jul 24, 2010 11:59 PM

Mar 2010
It interesting but the whole going back and forth with scenes of BRS and Mato where really annoying and somewhat confusing but I understood it at the end.

By the sounds of it theirs gonna be another ova since we didn't have IBRS. Lets just hope they don't keep delaying it when they start/if they start.
Jul 24, 2010 11:59 PM
Oct 2009
cliche characters, nonsensical plot, nothing makes sense. and then at the end everything is explained by

o well atleast the art was nice, im sure the masses will love it and claim its a masterpiece.
eyecutsJul 25, 2010 12:03 AM
Jul 25, 2010 12:15 AM

Aug 2009
I liked it, it was easy to understand...so I really don't get why people think its confusing?

Plot-wise I think it was a bit too rushed, it really didn't set the mood right so to speak, the animation was lovely and the music was great as well. I just wish they had gone with an actual series as opposed to a single 50 minute OVA.

It was -good-. Not great, or "OMG AMAZING."

It gets a 7/10 from me.
RoyalStrangerJul 25, 2010 12:18 AM
Jul 25, 2010 12:20 AM

Jul 2009
When they said they were making a BRS OVA, I wasn't expecting a 45 minute fucking school story. I feel trolled.

Boring characters and a mind bendingly stupid plot turned this into a snoozefest. I didn't even realize I was watching BRS half the time.

Not to mention the whole thing was just a giant cliche.

I liked the ending song, but that's as far as my praise goes.
Jul 25, 2010 12:21 AM

Oct 2009
Good but could've been batter. But I'm not complaining.
I want to see more of the characters though... maybe if they make an anime series but that looks kinda impossible?
Jul 25, 2010 12:25 AM

May 2009
I liked it - but it rly was weird. If the story is expanded something rly good will happen. I still can't figure out why are there listed chars in BRS that I didn't see in the OVA ?!? This is more like a big previw for a 50 series anime.
[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Blutsauger&sclick=1]
Jul 25, 2010 12:45 AM

Nov 2008
I braced for the disappointment but it didn’t matter how much prep time I needed, my body was not ready.

I always liked Huke’s design; the feel of the mature and mysterious characters. Sure, they were more “mysterious” due to not having a story but what could possibly fuck it up even more than normal if it was actually animated?- High school moe shit.

I loves ma’ K-on but it didn’t work for me. I don’t give a damn about symbolism and contrast, it couldn’t sell it to me. Hell, I was modeling BRS before I watched it and I almost don’t give a fuck anymore. It’s all about the money but screw this shit including the possibility of a second OVA.

I’m going to make sure when I finish model BRS, she gets the crap beaten out of her and that’s the only positive thing I got from this garbage; yes, positive rage.
Jul 25, 2010 12:46 AM

Mar 2008
Could someone tell me why it was cliché? o.o
Except if you think being jealous is cliché.. oO it's a normal reaction..

I have the feeling this ova will be underrated - because as we all know ~> Expectation leads to Disappointment.
If BRS wouldn't be that well known or not known at all untill this OVA aired - I'm sure the ratings would be higher now.
Well, that's how I think..
Jul 25, 2010 12:50 AM

Jul 2009
Tricia said:
Could someone tell me why it was cliché? o.o
Except if you think being jealous is cliché.. oO it's a normal reaction..

Do you understand what cliche means?...
Jul 25, 2010 12:55 AM

Mar 2008
controlmajortom said:

I do. The only thing that might be cliché are the human-characters ..
Jul 25, 2010 12:56 AM

Aug 2007
I still can't get over the fact that the Black Rock Shooter song was not in there besides a piano version. I honestly expected more from this, even tho I'm not really into all this Black Rock Shooter hype.
Jul 25, 2010 1:08 AM

Jul 2009
Tricia said:
controlmajortom said:

I do. The only thing that might be cliché are the human-characters ..

In fiction, cliches are just things that are used excessively and are unoriginal.

The characters, their actions, their dialogue, all of it was cliche in BRS. One example would be both characters having the "Star-tags" that symbolized their friendship, but there's tons more. You can literally cherry pick the trite and unoriginal parts in BRS.
Jul 25, 2010 1:14 AM
Dec 2009
Guys what do you expect?Super-girls fighting in the episode all time?

İn what anime rashing forwardly to the story?

İ'm saying you i liked it because it wondered me.Maybe it's because they want to worry us but still i'm gonna watch the second episode if it will be.

Btw can someone make some gifs pls?İ cought some good loops.
Jul 25, 2010 1:16 AM

Mar 2010
34 said:
everything is explained by glowy lights coming out of phonestraps

Id have to agree
Jul 25, 2010 1:19 AM

Jan 2009
Smetsys said:
34 said:
everything is explained by glowy lights coming out of phonestraps

Id have to agree

Oh yeah. My thoughts exactly.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Jul 25, 2010 1:25 AM

Sep 2008
SineBirYan said:
Guys what do you expect?Super-girls fighting in the episode all time?

İn what anime rashing forwardly to the story?

İ'm saying you i liked it because it wondered me.Maybe it's because they want to worry us but still i'm gonna watch the second episode if it will be.

Btw can someone make some gifs pls?İ cought some good loops.
I expected something that I haven't seen before a hundred times.
Don't say this one had fighting scenes so it is totally different.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2010 1:27 AM
Jan 2010
I thought it was great.Though it disappointed me on how they Made Black★gold saw create the Scar on Black★Rock shooter's body. they should Create the Sequel and Add In B★M,B★DG,Geshumaru and Dragon Slayer. Well I hope they could create that. I thought the OST was pretty nice too.
Jul 25, 2010 1:32 AM

Jun 2007
^Agreed, they left enough stuff to make a second OVA and I really hope they do.
Jul 25, 2010 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
not bad just a mediocre story but i like more action they are way too short for me
Jul 25, 2010 2:08 AM

Aug 2009
It was sooooo boring..
Jul 25, 2010 2:23 AM
Apr 2010
I don't know.

I felt pretty wound up after finishing -- I was desperate to like this, planning to watch it once raw and once subbed and all -- I'm glad I didn't.

If this is the first part of more OVAs, I'm okay. If this is all we're getting, I'm not sure what to think.

I enjoyed watching it, so I can't hate it too much. It wasn't what I was expecting though.
Jul 25, 2010 2:50 AM

Dec 2007
So every chick in this show, turns into a badass with magical powers if they get ignored for a couple of days...........hahahahaha, I'm sorry but the plot for this show was laughably bad.
Jul 25, 2010 2:53 AM

Jan 2008
I thought of more action, but the action that was there were already good.
Better then with a lot dump action.

I think there will be a second OVA or something that continues the story fruther.

Maybe something like Sky Girls or Strike Witches. They had at first only a OVA too.

But I liked this episode very much. As a BRS Fan of course normal! xD
Jul 25, 2010 3:28 AM
Sep 2009
Animation wise not quite limited-animation, not gainx bounce or K-ON. But thats just how the roll, and personal I'm more than content with it...*yum*
BUT Let's put it into CONTEXT:
Ordet is damn tiny

-YET-

but alas.....50mins to show us a light hearted high school slice-of-life that later turns into drama (you have to build up their friendship for the viewers get it and sympathize) and then somehow goes into a world of light goth checker pattern alternate sub-conscious world...

Though, from the promo, I wanted it to be action fantasy adventurish night light spring sort of......
but this could have been done in really crap ways....but still mediocre little-fame-slice-of-life scenario if not for BRS

Here's hoping ordet gets funding and gets to flesh things out properly.
StainGlassJul 25, 2010 4:36 AM
Jul 25, 2010 3:34 AM

Aug 2007
Well, the anime would've been better if they actually explained what happend in the other world and why. During the episode I was waiting for explanations that never came. D:
Jul 25, 2010 3:43 AM

Feb 2010
it was a ok movie
Jul 25, 2010 3:52 AM

Nov 2008
I hope you people weren't actually expecting a fully-fleshed out story with explanations and developments at every turn.

I'm actually surprised at how coherent the whole thing was. This was merely a pitch or pilot - an example of how a fully-budgeted anime could work out if BRS was given a real chance. The fan fiction for BRS in my opinion is far too retarded to be directly converted to an anime without adding another aspect to it - in this case, the whole high school drama thing. If this OVA was split up into 2 anime episodes with more to come, then you dumbasses would be drooling over this shit like it was some sort of masterpiece.

Anybody who expected more than what you just saw from this 50-minute OVA is a fool.
Jul 25, 2010 4:07 AM

Mar 2008
Er. What?

hazelnutman said:
Anybody who expected more than what you just saw from this 50-minute OVA is a fool.

IMO it wasn't that bad. But it was far from good. I've seen anime which is less than 50 mins that has more content, deeper and explained a whole lot more.

In particular, Voices of a Distant Star had me weeping consisting of 25min. It can happen.
sugarplumfairyJul 25, 2010 8:45 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2010 4:13 AM

Jul 2010
I thought it was a nice taste of what will come. Sure, it doesn't explain much, and I admit, it wasn't all as I expected, but I thought it was good, and left me wanting more. I actually feel like watching it again later.

Now, bring on the anime!
KillerTune12Jul 25, 2010 4:59 AM
Jul 25, 2010 4:15 AM

Jul 2009
I really enjoyed this OVA. The story was very nice and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Sadly most people didn't like it :(
Jul 25, 2010 4:18 AM

Nov 2008
hazelnutman said:
I hope you people weren't actually expecting a fully-fleshed out story with explanations and developments at every turn.

I'm actually surprised at how coherent the whole thing was. This was merely a pitch or pilot - an example of how a fully-budgeted anime could work out if BRS was given a real chance. The fan fiction for BRS in my opinion is far too retarded to be directly converted to an anime without adding another aspect to it - in this case, the whole high school drama thing. If this OVA was split up into 2 anime episodes with more to come, then you dumbasses would be drooling over this shit like it was some sort of masterpiece.

Sure... but a lazy school concept with a blend of symbolism in friendship and pretentious drama mended with a sketchy art style, was certainly not expected from a hyped OVA. Sure, it is obvious such a standard cannot be met but this was a poor effort with the natural tendency to compare it to other moe slice-of-life shows.
Jul 25, 2010 4:18 AM
Dec 2009
kralle777 said:
I really enjoyed this OVA. The story was very nice and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Sadly most people didn't like it :(

Same here.
Jul 25, 2010 4:19 AM
Jun 2010
Im 100% Sure that this will have a sequel LOL , many questions unanswer ,
Jul 25, 2010 4:20 AM

Feb 2009
I guess the fantasy scenes are just metaphors.People shouldn't take everything they see for granted.Why should they explain everything?It would have been much more unsatisfying with a cliche fantasy explanation.I would have been pleased just with the slice of life scenes but the ''fantasy'' ones made it somewhat unique.7/10 A ''-'' for the unnecessary ending.Yomi's jealousy and fear of losing her friend was somehow unexplored and forced though.
Urufuzu_reinJul 25, 2010 4:26 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jul 25, 2010 4:21 AM

Dec 2009
Nice one ^^ More OVAs please ! : ) 4/5
yuno6.jpg
Jul 25, 2010 4:34 AM

Sep 2008
Urufuzu_rein said:
I guess the fantasy scenes are just metaphors.People shouldn't take everything they see for granted.Why should they explain everything?It would have been much more unsatisfying with a cliche fantasy explanation.I would have been pleased just with the slice of life scenes but the ''fantasy'' ones made it somewhat unique.7/10 A ''-'' for the unnecessary ending.Yomi's jealousy and fear of losing her friend was somehow unexplored and forced though.
I think it's pretty obvious what Yomi's problem was. If you watch anime, you should know that she never really had many friends to begin with because people thought she was untouchable with her money. It takes an airhead to make friends with that and as she grew attached to Mato, she would lose everything when she felt detached from Mato.
Jul 25, 2010 4:46 AM

Oct 2009
Haha, apparently, if there's more than one friend, you're bound to make someone feel left out!? I didn't like that point. The rest is nice, though. I'm waiting for a sequel.
Jul 25, 2010 4:49 AM

Feb 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
I think it's pretty obvious what Yomi's problem was. If you watch anime, you should know that she never really had many friends to begin with because people thought she was untouchable with her money. It takes an airhead to make friends with that and as she grew attached to Mato, she would lose everything when she felt detached from Mato.

Thanks for the explanation.I think that the fact that she was moving from town to town affected her.I still think that they should have focused on that more.It still seems a bit forced.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jul 25, 2010 4:49 AM

Jan 2009
So... BRS is now a phail yuri show ?

the only thing good from this ova is that the ED was sang by Gomu
Jul 25, 2010 4:53 AM

Aug 2008
Love the animation. It's so cool to recognize some of the art in there.

I hope there's a sequel to this. ^^
Jul 25, 2010 5:11 AM

Aug 2009
As of now I have no comment on this..... :(

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!
Jul 25, 2010 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, I felt like this was a huge disappointment.

The OVA is called Black Rock Shooter. I expect it to have the BRS characters in it throughout it's entirety. You know how much BRS sequences we had in this. Only 11 minutes worth. The additional 40 minutes was a mediocre and lame melodrama that felt like a yuri anime episode without the yuri element.

The BRS shooter sequences, despite making up only 11 minutes worth of footage, were the highlights of the OVA. The animation, music and action were terrific though I find it maddeningly odd that the characters were mute. Seriously, they could only stare at one another, chuckle, or grunt and scream and growl.

And seriously, Dead Master was defeated by the powers of hugs. . . .

A huge letdown.

1/10 - Melodrama Sequences
5/10 - Black Rock Shooter Sequences

Overall - 6/10

If they do a sequel OVA or a series, I hope they start focusing on the BRS characters and not the lame ass characters they focused on in this one.

I can see why they're trying to earn their money back from merchandise and giving out the DVDs for free. This really isn't altogether that good.
Jul 25, 2010 5:41 AM

Nov 2008
Maximatum99 said:
Sure... but a lazy school concept with a blend of symbolism in friendship and pretentious drama mended with a sketchy art style, was certainly not expected from a hyped OVA. Sure, it is obvious such a standard cannot be met but this was a poor effort with the natural tendency to compare it to other moe slice-of-life shows.

It might not have been excitingly original, but that wasn't the point. It showed off how the BRS universe could be blended into anime storytelling conventions, and in that aspect, it did a coherent job. It's now a matter of somebody maybe wanting to pick up the project after seeing what can be done with the BRS franchise.

You say that those aspects were not expected in this hyped OVA. So tell me, what did you expect? This isn't a mocking challenge to you or anything; I'm legitimately curious and am wondering what was exactly expected from fans in terms of plot, presentation, and concept, along with why these qualities would make a more faithful BRS adaptation overall.

-
-

Also, to everyone expecting a direct sequel to this particular OVA, don't hold your breath. The story didn't end in a cliffhanger at all - it's heavily implied that the cycle of loneliness continues, and what will happen afterwards will probably be a situation which almost carbon copies the first. I swear to God, some of you people need all of the characters to hold hands and sing Dango Daikazoku before you can find closure in an anime.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» worst f'ing anime of all time ( 1 2 3 )

catullus - Jul 27, 2010

100 by SilverCrono »»
Nov 5, 2022 7:14 AM

Poll: » Would you like to see more Black★Rock Shooter? ( 1 2 )

Vandah - Jul 24, 2010

68 by lucio54 »»
Sep 15, 2021 9:56 PM

» Black★Rock Shooter (OVA) Need a Part 2

AkatsukiUlquiora - May 6, 2013

3 by AkatsukiUlquiora »»
Nov 13, 2020 9:31 AM

ShadowbladeEdge - Sep 12, 2009

23 by SingerOfW »»
Sep 8, 2011 11:48 AM

» Black Rock Shooter Gets New TV Anime in January

AmberFebruary - Aug 18, 2011

11 by SanzuNoKawa »»
Aug 19, 2011 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.