Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2010 12:14 AM

May 2009
kuroshiroi said:
@Sabinlerose: You're not using anything but your watching list anyway on a regular basis, so what's the big deal? Just display what you're using and tuck everything else away. Don't tell me you don't use folders or closets or whatever in real life? This is the same exact thing, just for a technical problem. And blank spot? Just put a pretty wallpaper...
And as for other people's lists, if they had such a huge list that it contained more than 200 entries in any one section, loading it the first time will take around the same time as clicking between pages will now. You just have to click on the next page a handful of times, but the total time is very similar. If you want to compare, there's a handy shared anime/manga function which works much better.

I honestly don't get what the big deal is, I've had my list on currently watching/reading for at least a year now, it's way faster and doesn't take forever to load and on the rare occasion I stray away from my watching list, it's to the ptw or on-hold part. But apparently people like to complain and people don't take kindly to change.

I'll sign the "give us grand totals back" petition though.

You put your anime in folders? o_O

The "show all" was, in my opinion, the core function of an anime list, that way you can show off your anime list (aka: myanimelist). Now it's just a currently watching list.

But I do agree that loading over 200 listings is quite irrational. Which is where my earlier suggestion of allowing all the areas to be shown, but paginated each one separately, comes into play. Such as 10 per currently watching, 200 for completed, 10 for dropped and so on. Obviously those are just random numbers. I would even be happy to limit my completed list to around 100 as long as everything else is there with it.

edit: hell, even having a 200 limit as default with a "show all pages" button would certainly take some load off the servers.
MalwareJun 12, 2010 12:22 AM

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jun 12, 2010 12:17 AM

Dec 2007
Maybe you could add search to list pages to replace ctrl+f, which has now become a pain to use.

Also, Grand Totals are important. Please bring them back in some form.
Jun 12, 2010 12:23 AM

Mar 2007
Crono_Maniac said:
We don't "like to complain," we hate unnecessary and jarring change.
Believe me when I say it was not unnecessary. Xinil mentioned it was a long and tedious project. Do you think he did that 4 da lulz while MAL was troubled with other bugs that required his attention? There was a lot of thought and consideration involved here and apparently Xinil figured this would be the best solution to the problem.
Crono_Maniac said:
In conclusion, this is stupid and I hate it and I want it back the way it was and the person who's idea to do this is HITLER. Uh... No offense.
I'm not the one who thought it up, but that's rather offensive. I'd say that only a spoiled little kid would come up with such a line...no offense. :(
Jun 12, 2010 12:25 AM

Jul 2009
AlphaEnd said:
The "show all" was, in my opinion, the core function of an anime list, that way you can show off your anime list (aka: myanimelist). Now it's just a currently watching list.

.. but everyone CAN see your entire list.

It is even organized into 5 sections (as it was before) but instead of being all on the same page, they are in tabs.

I cannot understand how scrolling down a long list until you find something like "dropped" is somehow "faster" or "better"

Also Kuroishiroi pointed out the very important fact that some of you also don't seem to realize there is an easy way to compare your list with others.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Jun 12, 2010 12:27 AM

Sep 2009
kuroshiroi said:
@Sabinlerose: You're not using anything but your watching list anyway on a regular basis, so what's the big deal? Just display what you're using and tuck everything else away. Don't tell me you don't use folders or closets or whatever in real life? This is the same exact thing, just for a technical problem. And blank spot? Just put a pretty wallpaper...
And as for other people's lists, if they had such a huge list that it contained more than 200 entries in any one section, loading it the first time will take around the same time as clicking between pages will now. You just have to click on the next page a handful of times, but the total time is very similar. If you want to compare, there's a handy shared anime/manga function which works much better.

I honestly don't get what the big deal is, I've had my list on currently watching/reading for at least a year now, it's way faster and doesn't take forever to load and on the rare occasion I stray away from my watching list, it's to the ptw or on-hold part. But apparently people like to complain and people don't take kindly to change.

I'll sign the "give us grand totals back" petition though.

Completely incorrect though.

Most of the time, I'm looking at OTHERS completed lists to give me new shows.
And for some reason, after this update it takes longer to load the one tab then it ever did to load the entire list.
>.<
Jun 12, 2010 12:28 AM

Mar 2010
kuroshiroi said:

No offence, but you first admit that you didn't use the "show all" functionality, then you say that people just like to complain.
But if they're complaining it's cause they really liked this functionality, which is not your case.

Or maybe I can just say that a person not concerned by others complaints, apparently like to discredit them xD.

Jun 12, 2010 12:30 AM

Feb 2008
Crono_Maniac said:
We don't "like to complain," we hate unnecessary and jarring change. You may not care about looking at your completed list, but a lot of us do. Why take away options? Why ditch features almost everybody relishes for technical difficulties? I say it again, it's like asking us to keep manga we're still reading and manga we've finished in separate rooms.
More like separate shelves, or more realistically, completed volumes on a shelve and the currently reading stuff on your night stand but whatever, I clearly don't understand your viewpoint.

jacobpaige said:
I almost never look at my list, but when I do it so that I can find something to watch (which means I need to be able to see Currently Watching, Plan to Watch and Completed) or so that I can figure out if I've forgotten to add an anime to my list (since checking my list used to be faster than trying to remember how to spell things in a foreign language so that I could use the unforgiving search system), which generally requires me to be able to see multiple sections of my list at the same time.
You don't remember titles? Really? Searching in English works too, you know, that should narrow things down for you and then the picture should help too :) But fair enough, I've occasionally done that. Most of my list is concentrated in Completed though, so I don't have to look long.

Kit said:
I use it for things like when I remember a manga I've read, but can't remember the name (and I'm not sure what list it's in), or if I want to check what score I gave something in comparison to something else, or if I want to see whether a series I'm thinking of is completed or not, and a lot more...
All of these options are still available, usually just one extra click away...

AlphaEnd said:
You put your anime in folders? o_O
Yes? I even have 5 folders for it, just like the different list parts on MAL, where I move stuff from and to based on completions etc. Probably a little bit crazy and slightly more time-consuming but it's a lot more organised and easier to access this way.

Sabinlerose said:
http://myanimelist.net/shared.php?u1=Sabinlerose&u2=kuroshiroi
And this is not what you want?

kwizatz said:
No offence, but you first admit that you didn't use the "show all" functionality, then you say that people just like to complain.
But if they're complaining it's cause they really liked this functionality, which is not your case.

Or maybe I can just say that a person not concerned by others complaints, apparently like to discredit them xD.
I also said I didn't get it, so... yeah. I was trying to understand though, sorry for that.

With all of these bad reactions, maybe a show all option would be nice, I won't miss it but clearly a lot of people do. Just don't give us the option to default it and maybe paginate the sections.

Anyway.

Edits for ninja posts.
kuroshiroiJun 12, 2010 12:33 AM
Jun 12, 2010 12:31 AM

Jan 2009
Could you please move the paging system to the bottom of the page? Having it on top is a pain.
Jun 12, 2010 12:32 AM
Apr 2008
Where can I get the pagiation?I've already tried to change every little option, I have tried to change the list style (which didn't work as well) and I've never even touched the CCS code. So what can I do? T_T I just want to be able to look at my list's entries...
Jun 12, 2010 12:37 AM

Jul 2009
kuroshiroi said:
Sabinlerose said:

Why you were not using that feature is a little confusing, but even if you wanted to look at someone's "completed" list then just go to their list and click "completed"

and then look around.

Maybe click "page 2" if you need to, or whatever.

.. and if you are curious as to what they've dropped then click on the "dropped" tab, etc.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Jun 12, 2010 12:39 AM
Sep 2009
What if we could display as many categories as we want, but their contents would be distributed across 200 items on the page. Pagination would be applied, "turning the page" for all categories. This would make sense if you could sort entries by date added, but is that data even stored?
Jun 12, 2010 12:39 AM

Sep 2009
@kuroshiroi:

I never realized that showed ALL the anime titles between the two people. I always thought it was just ones that were the shared.
Thanks, that helps a lot.
Jun 12, 2010 12:41 AM
May 2010
Boursk said:

Crono_Maniac said:
In conclusion, this is stupid and I hate it and I want it back the way it was and the person who's idea to do this is HITLER. Uh... No offense.
I'm not the one who thought it up, but that's rather offensive. I'd say that only a spoiled little kid would come up with such a line...no offense. :(

Okay, maybe that was a little over-the-top. My bad. It certainly wasn't meant with any degree of seriousness whatsoever. I'm sure the administrators are nice people who came to this as a rational result of careful thinking and tedious coding, but I just wish they could have cut from something, ANYTHING other than the core feature of the entire flipping site. Then again, I don't know what goes into keeping this site running. It's just jarring and personally unpleasant.

Sorry for being a little prickish there, though. That was a tad unnecessary, and I do everything in my power to avoid being one of those insufferable trolls.
Jun 12, 2010 12:42 AM

Sep 2009
ESSWHY said:
kuroshiroi said:
Sabinlerose said:

Why you were not using that feature is a little confusing, but even if you wanted to look at someone's "completed" list then just go to their list and click "completed"

and then look around.

Maybe click "page 2" if you need to, or whatever.

.. and if you are curious as to what they've dropped then click on the "dropped" tab, etc.

It is a little confusing, and not exactly what I want.
But it's much better then what the lists turned into. Loading that page took me one and a half seconds, instead of the minutes its taking to load the list tabs.

Feb 2008
Sabinlerose said:
I never realized that showed ALL the anime titles between the two people. I always thought it was just ones that were the shared.
MAL could use a manual, but we already know nobody would read it ^^ And you're welcome.

Feb 2008
Anime List Settings:
Default Status Selected: SHOW ALL

So broken as far as I can tell. Otherwise, such interface changes (like the one that moved links from left to drop downs) really should be optional IMHO...

Jun 12, 2010 12:45 AM

Oct 2007
not such a big deal, if coding isn't bad maybe 200 total entries of diff groups would be nice, but an extra click is nothing for better server speed performance
Jun 12, 2010 12:48 AM
Aug 2009
i think good idea to make pagination as default option, but enable "Show All" for manual enabling.
Who like pagination or don't have skills for changing own view - was stay with pagination, and advanced users sets "Show All".
I don't like this patch.
Good idea to make opinion about this patch.

P.S. Sorry for my ugly English.
Jun 12, 2010 12:50 AM
Mar 2009
Hate to say it, but it's more like chiming in. I understand server load issues, especially since the DB must be being hit very hard, but show all was an important feature of the site. I think it would be much better to have default paging for all pages, and default to watching or completed page is fine (users can still change that default entry page if they want anyways), but should still have a show all page and a settings option to turn off paging.

I'd have no problem leaving my page as paging by default voluntarily, it's just nice to be able to see it all as one list every now and then for oneself or friends. This seems to be a really important issue for a lot of people. And I didn't notice much lag before either anyways.

At the very least, allow users to adjust their paging settings, if 1000 seems to be where the lag starts, allow users to select between 1000 per page, 800 per page, 500 per page, 200 per page or something like that. I would think that most users have a list longer than 200 entries. Maybe even defaultly turn off the tag column to reduce the query a bit.

EDIT: also another option would be to not allow the show all page to be set to default page for anime list viewing. combining all of the above options would probably make quite a difference without upsetting users as much.
ferlJun 12, 2010 12:57 AM
Jun 12, 2010 12:51 AM

Jan 2008
Since the show all is gone now, you can't check grand totals, in which I sometimes check my total number or episodes, could you put that up somewhere else?
Jun 12, 2010 12:57 AM

Oct 2009
124 - show all
1 - Watching
lol e.e
Jun 12, 2010 1:00 AM

Oct 2007
I agree. Show all is, and has always been, incredibly useful. I have lots of shows that I go from On-hold to watching, due to a huge backlog, and being able to just scroll down is fantastic. The edit option doesn't help either, since I have a pretty long list, and it's difficult to find the series I'm looking for.

As a default option, fine. But let users choose for themselves.

Jun 12, 2010 1:09 AM
Feb 2009
And I thought layout change few months ago was a bad idea...

Seriously, change it back.
Jun 12, 2010 1:11 AM

Mar 2009
My manga list is totally empty.
Jun 12, 2010 1:12 AM

Aug 2009
Meh, here's another idea - I guess I really don't need to have my list set on "show all" all of the time, but sometimes it is a really nice thing to have - for example, recommending shows to people and checking if they already watched it, or just finding the name of that show you forgot about.

So why not keep pagination as the default, and have users type in a CAPTCHA to get the "show all" page. This way, people won't be able to abuse it as much, and be able to get their cake and eat it.
Jun 12, 2010 1:13 AM

Jan 2009
keideki said:
This kinda sucks if you ask me, I liked having it all on one page.

Same here.

AlexSadist-sama said:
My manga list is totally empty.

Again, same here.
Jun 12, 2010 1:15 AM

Feb 2010
zlojcrash said:
i think good idea to make pagination as default option, but enable "Show All" for manual enabling.
Who like pagination or don't have skills for changing own view - was stay with pagination, and advanced users sets "Show All".
I don't like this patch.
Good idea to make opinion about this patch.

P.S. Sorry for my ugly English.

Agreed! The show all option is easier to navigate. It's sorely disappointing to get an update only to have an important option removed!
Jun 12, 2010 1:17 AM

Jul 2007
Hmm, now clicking on tags in the lists don't work, just reloads the whole page again, is it because of the pagination?
Jun 12, 2010 1:20 AM

Jul 2008
Okay what about the people who have very large completed lists (200 plus) or others and want to review them?

With this new update, THEY CAN'T DO IT! Not to mention grand totals are gone.
Jun 12, 2010 1:21 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I'll be adding a search option on the lists in the near future.

Tags will be getting a rework (further down the road).

I'll also be moving the location of the page links.

Grand totals will be making its way back in the near future too (thought it probably won't be as detailed as before.)
XinilJun 12, 2010 1:24 AM
Jun 12, 2010 1:22 AM

Dec 2007
I do not need to see
Currently Watching. Completed. On Hold. Plan to Watch. Dropped.
on the same page. but would love to see my entire Completed list on one page.
Jun 12, 2010 1:25 AM

Jul 2009
sorry well this change badly affects me,i really do like to see "Showw All", also its better to leave such optons at people liking, whether they want it or not

but than again its upto u guys, i only hope u reconsider it ,plz
Jun 12, 2010 1:34 AM

Feb 2008
Meh, doesn't bother me at all.
Jun 12, 2010 1:35 AM

Feb 2009
I want "show all" status back.

I think those users who have more than 200 items in each list would set status like "reading" or "custom" by there own, because other way they have to wait long while loading.

ps I think voting will be usefull to decide whether it is needed update or not
Jun 12, 2010 1:36 AM

Apr 2007
I understand why it was done but I dont like it either. I liked having my whole list displayed at once and I also like updating it as I go. Its not nearly as impressive if all Im showing is Currently Watching... -sigh-

For a second there I freaked out thinking my list got glitched so at least I know it was intentional.
Blergh.
Jun 12, 2010 1:37 AM

Jan 2010
well, i can't be the other way around ok, but same here as for the others.. i liked show all very very much.. it's much more useful than this now :/
"If it's your wish, I will follow you everywhere, Even if your throne crumbles, And your shiny crown turns to rust, Even if the bodies pile up endlessly, Above the bottomless pile corpses, Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be.....Until i hear the words "check Mate." ♥
Jun 12, 2010 1:39 AM

Feb 2009
ps also i think that 2 or 3 types (for example: "Currently Watching" and "Completed") will be nice
Jun 12, 2010 1:39 AM

Aug 2009
I've never had a problem with loading things... or MAL overall.
Maybe when some people want fancy backgrounds.

Don't like this update, much prefer to be able to 'Show all'. First time I've had a problem with this site :( Oh well.
Jun 12, 2010 1:40 AM

Apr 2008
Waiting an userscript which loads all of the pages and sections thus creating a virtual "show all".
Something.
Jun 12, 2010 1:48 AM

Feb 2008
Xinil said:
I'll be adding a search option on the lists in the near future.

Tags will be getting a rework (further down the road).

I'll also be moving the location of the page links.

Grand totals will be making its way back in the near future too (thought it probably won't be as detailed as before.)
Sounds great, Xinil. Thanks!
Jun 12, 2010 1:50 AM

Aug 2008
Well thats it, I'm moving my shit to AniDB.
Jun 12, 2010 1:53 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
MisterSaito said:
i want my 'show all' status back :<

Same.
Jun 12, 2010 2:00 AM
Sep 2009
How about you force pagination by default, but include a show all button that applies once. In other words, show all can never be the default, but its functionality is available for those who want to use it. This will apply the fix for casual users who aren't affected much by the change while keeping the functionality for the people who use it often. They only click the button when they want to see all their entries at once, placing an extra load on the server only when they need it.

It seems like the grand total display is also in high demand, so that should probably be visible separately.
Jun 12, 2010 2:03 AM
Oct 2007
I don't even want "Show All" - I just want my Current Watching, Completed and Plan to Watch on the same page. It used to be so nice to see all my shows from those lists in the one place.

Now, every time I see that huge space, it's just psychologically frustrating.

I get it that it drains on the server to have the entire lists - but can we have the option to show 2 sections on one page at least?
Jun 12, 2010 2:05 AM

Jun 2007
Wow, this makes the website shit.
Jun 12, 2010 2:06 AM

Jan 2010
nx6 said:
MisterSaito said:

Same.
Jun 12, 2010 2:10 AM

Jun 2008
Need "show all"!

Also, series marked as "rewatching" used to show up with "currently watching" -- now those titles are stuck with "completed."
Jun 12, 2010 2:12 AM

Jul 2007
thats work good with me , I already stopped showing my entire list because it will take time for the page to upload >>>> I really hate to wait for more than 2 seconds >.>
Jun 12, 2010 2:15 AM

Apr 2009
chiisa said:
nx6 said:
MisterSaito said:

Same.

This.
Jun 12, 2010 2:15 AM

Apr 2008
jmal said:
WcDuck said:
Waiting an userscript which loads all of the pages and sections thus creating a virtual "show all".

"Waiting" = "Wanting" or "Waiting on" or (hopefully) "Writing"?

No I'm not that hardcore. But if someone could find time to actually produce the script, I'll gladly use it.

Also, I don't know why but in my panel I have two Edit-buttons for every friend update. The other one just doesn't work.
AnkkuliJun 12, 2010 2:18 AM
Something.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

408 by bastek66 »»
Yesterday, 2:52 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 )

Kineta - May 23

98 by Luna »»
Yesterday, 12:29 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

145 by Vulpix98 »»
May 30, 2:10 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

246 by tingy »»
May 30, 1:19 PM

» Planned 3hr Maintenance, Wednesday May 29 @ 1am-4am PT

Kineta - May 26

0 by Kineta »»
May 26, 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.