Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime studios keep making trash isekai shows?

New
Sep 14, 8:13 AM

Jun 2024
You have light novels with extremely long titles, all with similar premises but in different flavors, reincarnated as a vending machine, reborn as a hot spring, as a slime, as a skeleton zombie, etc. Sooner or later, Zoro is going to get lost and end up transported to another world, I swear to God.

Many of these shows are adapted half heartedly, with little passion or dedication, and end up feeling lifeless and soulless. What's the goal here? Maybe I'm watching the wrong ones, but sometimes I don't mind watching them, though. No offense to isekai enjoyers.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 8:24 AM
Oct 2019
? Seriously you are asking this? Are you trolling I sure hope you do. You are asking why people who invest money want theit money back by betting on something popular and trendy? What did your economic teacher teach you in school? Supply and demand simple as that.
Sep 14, 8:32 AM

Sep 2018
Isekai often represents the male fantasy not possible for the vast majority of guys, and Japan has a huge demand for it given many sub fives are in Japan. One mans trash is another mans treasure and this certainly applies for catering to demographics. While you may hate the average isekai, a large portion of people love such stories.
Sep 14, 8:39 AM

Feb 2020
Many people like those shows. It's as simple as that.
Sep 14, 8:46 AM

May 2015
Because they make money, shits not that hard duder
Sep 14, 8:48 AM

Nov 2023
People keep watching them, They get profits, And plus they don't need to think much of the story since the formula is fully established

... though is kinda strange that is always the fantasy setting, i mean not everybody in the entire world would like to escape there, like what about sci fi? Or same world but not being a human ?
Ratris_DecisionSep 14, 8:53 AM
Sep 14, 8:52 AM
Oct 2019
Because Kadokawa has a lot of generic isekai slop light novels to sell, and anime adaptations tend to boost the sales of light novels.

That, and they decided to produce 40 seasons of anime every year, so they need to pump out a bunch of slop to meet that quota.
Sep 14, 8:53 AM
Aug 2022
why is toei animation milking one piece for 25yrs?

Many of the eps are adapted half heartedly, with little passion or dedication, and end up feeling lifeless and soulless. What's the goal here? Maybe I'm watching the wrong ones, but sometimes I don't mind watching them, though. No offense to one piece enjoyers.
Sep 14, 9:02 AM

Sep 2008
It's among the current popular genres for studios to milk out, so of course they want in on the action to profit off them.
Sep 14, 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
Ummm...Because the Japanese market likes them...The anime industry is ...well....An industry. They need to produce things that are more likely to make money. It'd be great if they could just do whatever the fuck they wanted without worrying about profit, but unfortunately animation costs money.

This reminds me of something I read recently that is somewhat related, and I'm not going to make a thread just for this, so here it is. I was checking to see if something, can't remember what, was getting a sequel and I came across an article. This article brought up the possibility of this series not coming back because it had a 6 on MAL and IMDb. Now, IMDb aside, this made me scratch my head. There's plenty of things on here that have lower ratings and yet get picked up for another season. The thought that MAL has ANY impact on the industry is hilarious. I bring this up, because it made me think of everyone who asks why isekai is still a thing or why some other thing still exists in anime. And the answer is, they don't give a shit what randos on the internet from across the globe think. No offense towards op specifically.
FanofActionSep 14, 9:24 AM
Sep 14, 9:33 AM

Sep 2018
Lv2 kara Cheat datta Motoyuusha Kouho no Mattari Isekai Life is among the top 5 most watched anime of the Spring 2024 season on Japanese streaming sites.

Below average things will always exist by definition (the average exists because some things are above it and some others below). If you're a below average web novelist or a below average animation studio, why shouldn't you try to achieve the same success as the above mentioned?
Sep 14, 9:48 AM

Jul 2022
I'm just here to see how many different ways people can say "money" and still meet the character minimum
Sep 14, 9:57 AM

Apr 2021
this is pure conjecture but i feel like this smaller studios or new studios, that tend to be the ones to do this trash isekais, use this as an opportunity to gain money without spending too much resources and also are projects that there is really not a lot of risk imo.
Sep 14, 10:39 AM

Aug 2012
rohan121 said:
Isekai often represents the male fantasy not possible for the vast majority of guys, and Japan has a huge demand for it given many sub fives are in Japan. One mans trash is another mans treasure and this certainly applies for catering to demographics. While you may hate the average isekai, a large portion of people love such stories.

Serafos said:
Many people like those shows. It's as simple as that.

Exactly this. Many people like these sort of shows, and so it's why we will likely see them continue to be made or LN ones being adapted into anime

Sep 14, 10:44 AM

Sep 2024
Japanase people want those kind of shows. Also they wouldn't make them so many if they didn't get profits.
“Everyone has a right to pursue a happy life.
The difficult part is to be given that right.”
Frederica Bernkastel
Sep 14, 10:51 AM

Jan 2024
Mualani said:
as a slime

That anime belongs in top 0.1% of animes and it's better than 99% battle shounens.

There are way too many isekais but there are good isekais are created too. And unless there are very profitable they never get 2nd season which sucks cause quantity over quality in capitalism that's how world works.

And probably you are watching wrong ones should pick better next time.
Sep 14, 10:52 AM

Mar 2019
I love isekai, I haven't read many light novels aside from a tiny bit of NGNL (which I prefer over the anime) so I dunno about the adaptation quality, but I don't think the trend is bad because great isekai like Jidou Hanbaiki ni Umarekawatta Ore wa Meikyuu wo Samayou have come out of it, I agree that if more love was put into individual production quality instead of mass-production it would be even greater!

リアルを辞めよう。2次元に屈服せよ。おい、聞こえてるかい?3次元の会話を止めろ!
Sep 14, 11:36 AM

Mar 2009
Why do studios keep making the same fighting animes over and over and over and over again? I mean Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo,Natsu are all clones of Goku.
Why to studio keep making hentai?
Why do they keep making depressing anime
Why do they keep making anime about food that are so good they meet god every time they eat.

Just becuse you don´t like it does it mean every one hates it nor does it mean they are not making money.

And biggest fact is they make anime for the JAPANESE market NOT for you they could give a less of a shit what you like.
Sep 14, 11:37 AM

Jan 2022
Your Zoro joke was very lame and cringe.
Sep 14, 11:44 AM
Apr 2021
The whole genre sucks ass to be honest
Sep 14, 11:51 AM

Mar 2021
Mualani said:
Why do anime studios keep making trash isekai shows?

I will 1st take a jab to your point about trashy Anime. Japanese Anime was never intended to be some serious medium to begin. Even if Isekai was to be simply taken away from Japanese Anime completely, there would still be a consistent amount of trashy titles being produced regardless of having some Isekai tag slapped to it. To get back to the point, The main 'goal' of Japanese Anime is simply just to be mindless entertainment but extremely entertaining mindless entertainment. Which is why Anime is such a good medium for escapism even more so than videogames because videogames usually take effort and concentration where with just something like Japanese Anime all one needs to do at most is turn on a TV and 'Veg' out in a chair.

Secondly it's not the studios usually calling the shots on what gets produced. It's the production committees involved that contract studios to produce an Anime. When looking at modern Anime, Isekai is still a huge thing in Japan to this day when looking at sales from random Merch to source materials to the actual Physical Blu-ray Releases and production companies are usually only looking towards what is actually making money. It's only the West that has an extreme stigma towards Isekai and since an extreme majority of modern Western consumers rely on Anime Piracy when it comes to consuming Anime, Production committees don't give a shit how popular something is in the West these days. Also the minority of Westerners left who do subscribe to legit streaming services, their revenue source doesn't even amount to a fraction of potential revenue Japanese consumers put out on just simply buying Physical Blu-rays copies to Physical Source material. I certainly wouldn't give a shit about the West either if I knew an extreme majority of western consumers were simply just illegally pirating my products.

Currently as a generous estimate, only about 10% of modern Western Anime consumers (This basically consists of all western nations around the globe) still buy physical releases when it comes to this Medium, which is chump change in the grand scheme of things in comparison to the amount of money Japan's domestic consumers spend on Anime. Unless this changes one day where stuff like Anime piracy is no longer prevalent and western consumers start buying more physical shit again when it comes to this Medium, Japan will likely never remotely care enough about Western consumers as much as they care about their own domestic consumers. Where if Japan's domestic consumers started acting more like modern Western consumers relying on piracy and not buying physical media anymore, The Japanese Anime industry would likely end up failing and then no one would get to enjoy Japanese Anime anymore around the globe. And Ironically, Westerners would likely then be missing all the trashy Isekai that once was being pumped out in this medium on a regular basis every season.
ColourWheelSep 14, 8:43 PM
Sep 14, 11:58 AM

Sep 2016
Because they are low effort productions with decent demand, so producers make more profits.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 14, 12:00 PM
Sep 2021
They make them for me to watch. Thanks, Japan.
Sep 14, 12:02 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Zarutaku
Because they are low effort productions with decent demand, so producers make more profits.
Zarutaku said:

^Pretty much this along with the source material as well.
Sep 14, 12:05 PM

Sep 2024
Isekai genre is bad because of the typical JRPG-Fantasy setting with too many forgettable-NintendoSwitch-school-based-chosen-main-characters.
Sep 14, 12:13 PM

Feb 2024
I think your feeling is correct unless you look down on Isekai Tensei.

According to an article (DeepL):

Young people have not hoped for Japan already. You can feel the Japanese despair from Isekai Tensei, right?
Sep 14, 12:25 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to GinIonSui
I think your feeling is correct unless you look down on Isekai Tensei.

According to an article (DeepL):

Young people have not hoped for Japan already. You can feel the Japanese despair from Isekai Tensei, right?
@GinIonSui

Japan has a population problem when the median age in 2024 is 49.4 years old and that number just keeps increasing every year. I have relatives in Japan and even though I was born in Seoul Korea and I am currently an American Citizen in my late 40s, I could easily move to Japan and be easily approved for citizenship there. Simply because I am married to a Japanese Women and have a daughter who has been living with my Wife's family for more than a decade.

If someone my age could easily get approved there for citizenship in Japan, I can't imagine it being any harder for people half my age to move there and get approved either even if they have no previous connections to the country.
ColourWheelSep 14, 12:33 PM
Sep 14, 1:16 PM

Aug 2018
they do it to help boost sales of disposable books from talentless hacks in a garbage medium called Light novels.

instead of adapting the first few chapters of every trash isekai LN that gains a little bit of traction among people who have terrible taste, I wish they'd just finish animating the last trash isekai LN they decided to adapt. Or better yet, stop adapting trash LN altogether.
Sep 14, 1:23 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to epidemia78
they do it to help boost sales of disposable books from talentless hacks in a garbage medium called Light novels.

instead of adapting the first few chapters of every trash isekai LN that gains a little bit of traction among people who have terrible taste, I wish they'd just finish animating the last trash isekai LN they decided to adapt. Or better yet, stop adapting trash LN altogether.
@epidemia78 Most of those only have the bare minimum creativity to last a couple episodes with their gimmick, so finishing isekai adaptations probably wouldn't actually be a good idea...
Sep 14, 1:32 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to JaniSIr
@epidemia78 Most of those only have the bare minimum creativity to last a couple episodes with their gimmick, so finishing isekai adaptations probably wouldn't actually be a good idea...
JaniSIr said:
Most of those only have the bare minimum creativity to last a couple episodes with their gimmick, so finishing isekai adaptations probably wouldn't actually be a good idea...

It's not rocket science. It should not be hard to write these kinds of stories. Self insert guy enters fantasy realm, gains powers, does some adventures, meets some waifus. Save the world. get married or start a harem or be forced to return home. The end.
Sep 14, 1:32 PM

Jan 2009
sadly there is a lot of demand for them hence the oversupply of them
Sep 14, 1:51 PM

Aug 2021
Money, because it makes a lot of money.

Sep 14, 1:52 PM

Jul 2021
"Why does McDonalds keep making fast food? They should be making high-class, Michelin-starred cuisine because that's better than fast food."
Sep 14, 2:09 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to epidemia78
JaniSIr said:
Most of those only have the bare minimum creativity to last a couple episodes with their gimmick, so finishing isekai adaptations probably wouldn't actually be a good idea...

It's not rocket science. It should not be hard to write these kinds of stories. Self insert guy enters fantasy realm, gains powers, does some adventures, meets some waifus. Save the world. get married or start a harem or be forced to return home. The end.
@epidemia78 Well yea, but the only interesting thing is the gimmick that gets forgotten about by episode 2-3, so there is an argument to be made that they shouldn't even finish the season, because it offers nothing of value, beyond the notion that it's finished.
I would much rather watch finished stories, but that assumes I don't get bored of it halfway through.
Sep 14, 2:40 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to JaniSIr
@epidemia78 Well yea, but the only interesting thing is the gimmick that gets forgotten about by episode 2-3, so there is an argument to be made that they shouldn't even finish the season, because it offers nothing of value, beyond the notion that it's finished.
I would much rather watch finished stories, but that assumes I don't get bored of it halfway through.
@JaniSIr
JaniSIr said:
Well yea, but the only interesting thing is the gimmick that gets forgotten about by episode 2-3, so there is an argument to be made that they shouldn't even finish the season, because it offers nothing of value, beyond the notion that it's finished.

I know you don't like Re:Zero but I think its a example of what could be an actually good anime if it cut all the bloat and kept only the choicest cuts from the source material. Imagine the entire ReZero epic condensed into just 24 episodes. I haven't actually read the books but I suspect an anime like that would be borderline awesome. Do that and you can turn even the most grueling multi-volume snoozefest into an at least decent anime.
Sep 14, 2:50 PM

Aug 2012
Rosy_Rose said:
Japanase people want those kind of shows. Also they wouldn't make them so many if they didn't get profits

SwordBreaker36 said:
And biggest fact is they make anime for the JAPANESE market NOT for you they could give a less of a shit what you like

Yup, this too. They're catering to the Japanese audience and market over us weebs in the west.

Sep 14, 2:51 PM

Apr 2020
It works and people very much like these Shows.
Sep 14, 2:58 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to epidemia78
@JaniSIr
JaniSIr said:
Well yea, but the only interesting thing is the gimmick that gets forgotten about by episode 2-3, so there is an argument to be made that they shouldn't even finish the season, because it offers nothing of value, beyond the notion that it's finished.

I know you don't like Re:Zero but I think its a example of what could be an actually good anime if it cut all the bloat and kept only the choicest cuts from the source material. Imagine the entire ReZero epic condensed into just 24 episodes. I haven't actually read the books but I suspect an anime like that would be borderline awesome. Do that and you can turn even the most grueling multi-volume snoozefest into an at least decent anime.
@epidemia78 I would still hate the characters in Re:Zero, but credit where it's due, at least it didn't forget about its gimmick a couple episodes in.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of this very generic slop where basically the gimmick is that everyone thought the guy was weak, but then gained infinite stats for some reason, and it stopped being interesting once people realized he is OP. Shield Hero's gimmick was also that everyone hated him after the Malty incident, and that was the only selling point of the show. Bofuri is only funny for like 2 episodes when she is being beaten up and taking no damage, but then she just gained BS offensive abilities, at which point the humor was lost.

Cutting out so much of the source material wouldn't be viable I think, unless it's actually a totally pointless side story that has no real consequences in the long term, but the thing is the main plot becomes boring, and if the writing was good side plots would still be fun to see...
Sep 14, 3:01 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Yuno
Rosy_Rose said:
Japanase people want those kind of shows. Also they wouldn't make them so many if they didn't get profits

SwordBreaker36 said:
And biggest fact is they make anime for the JAPANESE market NOT for you they could give a less of a shit what you like

Yup, this too. They're catering to the Japanese audience and market over us weebs in the west.
@Yuno Why is there even a distinction, the weeb target demographic is the one that went out of their way to watch Japanese cartoons...
Sep 14, 3:05 PM

Apr 2019
The big problem here is not that studios make them, but that people watch them. As long as something like this is popular, even the biggest crap will be filmed without much input or commitment
Sep 14, 3:18 PM

Jan 2019
because they make the producers money duh. and studios can only function if the producers give them the money for it and they will obviously go for the highest selling stuff with the lowest amount of investment required.
Sep 14, 3:36 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
The studios make isekai anime because the studios want to make isekai anime.
Sep 14, 4:23 PM

May 2018
Reply to rohan121
@rohan121 These shows aren't aimed at the general public in Japan, they're aimed at Otaku. The type of people who don't actually care about the quality of the shows that they're watch, they just care about buying merchandise of their favorite characters. That's the reason most modern anime depend on merchandise sales to be successful.
Sep 14, 4:32 PM

Apr 2020
Likely business as usual: Mass producing an easy to make, very low-budget, very low-quality Anime show that at least a few thousands of people will bother watching, which would either generate enough money to make the management happy, or enough attention to bring a few eyes to the network so they can stumble on the other better stuff the network has to offer.

TL;DR: Cheap to make, generate some cash, reel in some viewers, business stuff.
Sep 14, 5:58 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Because it still sells in Japan, not to mention its lower effort to make compared to other type of anime~

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 14, 6:04 PM

Jul 2021
As many already pointed out, "why do people keep watching these shows?" is a much more interesting question.

I can understand why people would watch them, but I cannot understand why people watch so many of them. Do the fans of this kind of anime really watch multiple of these every season?

Or is it that there are so many of these fans that, even if they're scattered across dozens of shows, each show still turns a profit?
Sep 14, 6:07 PM

Mar 2008
They are popular and there is an abundance of material because amateur light novel writers turn to it a lot. This also is why a lot of it is so generic or generally not very good because they cant write and their editor does a lot of the work.
Sep 14, 8:14 PM

May 2018
money money money... ain't it funny... in a rich man's world.
can't yuck my yum

Sep 14, 8:34 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to perseii
As many already pointed out, "why do people keep watching these shows?" is a much more interesting question.

I can understand why people would watch them, but I cannot understand why people watch so many of them. Do the fans of this kind of anime really watch multiple of these every season?

Or is it that there are so many of these fans that, even if they're scattered across dozens of shows, each show still turns a profit?
perseii said:
but I cannot understand why people watch so many of them. Do the fans of this kind of anime really watch multiple of these every season?

Trying to put myself in their shoes, one contributing factor to this may be how the repetitive themes and formula of this genre have made it a "safe choice" not only for authors, but also for viewers as well. By knowing that you'll probably get some sort of harem, some enemy probably in the form of a demon lord, a cheat skill unlock, standard medieval setting, etc., people who like these themes will probably think "it can't be that bad" simply because, for them, a somewhat decent skeleton for the story is guaranteed. Whereas other stories that have more unique elements are more of a gamble that might not be worth it.

I think these repetitive themes also make it very consumable, in the same way one would view an episode of Spongebob (basically an episodic SoL cartoon for those who don't know). If you enjoy one of them, you'll probably enjoy another one which is just a variant (what op skill will he have, how will he use it, etc.). So if you're just looking to feel good after work without having to think to much about the anime content, it'll work just fine.
Sep 14, 9:08 PM

Jul 2024
Overworking is a significant part of Japanese work culture and people are encouraged to work all day.. Sleeping and resting is seen as a sign of laziness.
In Japan, there is a strong emphasis on dedication and loyalty to one’s company. People are encouraged that working long hours is showing commitment to their workplace and being grateful to their employers..

working long hours is seen as a way to contribute to the country’s growth. This mindset has persisted among Japanese even today..

Obviously the younger generation of people in Japan are tired of this old mindset.. So Isekai stories have become incredibly popular, especially among these younger audiences. The escapism and fantasy elements resonate with many viewers who are sick and tired of the work culture of the showa era, leading to high demand for more content in this genre.

Many of these anime are adaptations of light novels, have long, descriptive titles. These titles are designed to grab attention and give a clear idea of the plot right away to the Japanese viewers because they have no time to dig deep into the series as they are busy with work..
So long titles help them to know right away what exactly the anime or light novel is about..

isekai genre have a proven formula that works. Studios and publishers stick to this formula because it guarantees it will sell to the overworked work force of Japanese society.. While it might seem repetitive to us foreigners, it’s a safe bet for them financially and also helps preventing karoshi,which is a long complex issue with no easy solutions an isekai anime is seen as a helpful step in the right direction.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Did Hoshino Aqua saved husbandos?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

13 by SgtBateMan »»
8 minutes ago

» Isekais that you think are actually good and why

IpreferEcchi - Today

28 by ColourWheel »»
26 minutes ago

» Is your waifu 4k or 8k?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

3 by Serafos »»
32 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

63 by Quadruple_Oi »»
48 minutes ago

» Fall 2024 ( 1 2 )

Serafos - Aug 20

53 by Ohayotaku »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.