Forum Settings
Forums

What is up with these endings? MHA and JJK getting shafted?

New
Yesterday, 1:07 PM
Feb 2015
MHA had possibly the worst ending I’ve seen and JJK is ending in only 5 chapters? I thought these were popular mega hits with fricken Fortnite skins and they are going out like that? Why!? Is this Shonen Jump/Shueisha or the mangakas themselves?

Kishimoto got tired of drawing after 700 chapters so he got his assistant to continue the story, Oda is still at it, what’s wrong with these other guys are they lazy?
Yesterday, 1:11 PM

Jan 2009
japan follows jo-ha-kyu a lot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-ha-ky%C5%AB
Yesterday, 1:17 PM
Feb 2015
Reply to deg
japan follows jo-ha-kyu a lot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-ha-ky%C5%AB
@deg DBZ had a graceful ending, they defeat Buu, everyone celebrates, timeskip, new tournament, Uub is Buu’s reincarnation and Goku has one final character moment teasing out his inner power then leaves with him to train in Goku fashion. It was great, perfect closure. Why can’t more Shonens give us that? I miss Toriyama he definitely bucked a lot of trends to deliver a truly revolutionary story. These new mangakas seem to be slaves to their kooky editors who hate timeskips where characters leave adolescence and hate non-anti-climactic endings for whatever reason.
Yesterday, 1:47 PM
Apr 2024
With jjk specifically it's probably because gege was forced to change a lot of stuff and probably is burnt out due to lack of interest to write something that isn't his, honestly I can't blame him
Personally I liked mha's ending, felt the most feeting ending there could be
Also calling those people lazy is disrespectful, do you know how hard it is to draw 20 pages a week? Not to talk about health issues, the fact some people can do it doesn't mean those who can't do it lazy, doing close to 300 chapters is already a lot
Also shonen jump and editors might push them or make them no longer want to work because of bad working conditions or meddling with the story to much, as an artist thinking that you are forced to write something you don't want can be frustrating and it is known both writers had that problem
Yesterday, 2:13 PM

May 2021
Sometimes ending the series is better than dragging it on.
Yesterday, 2:17 PM

Apr 2011
Many popular manga have rushed endings. See Slam Dunk or Yu Yu Hakusho for example.
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Jun 2015
It can't go on forever. The story's been told and it's time to end.
Yesterday, 2:28 PM
Feb 2015
Reply to IKKIsama
Many popular manga have rushed endings. See Slam Dunk or Yu Yu Hakusho for example.
@IKKIsama This is why I appreciate Boruto, if Naruto had ended with chapter 700 of the original manga it would have been LAME! Instead we get to actually explore all the unanswered questions about the Otsutsuki and we get to see Naruto as a parent and all their kids and how they are growing up in the post-war world. And it’s also a great story with darkness and scary alien gods trying to kill everyone, so much so that the Boruto manga is consistently in the Top 4 on the manga apps, usually above One Piece.
12 hours ago

Oct 2013
Reply to Krystopher
@deg DBZ had a graceful ending, they defeat Buu, everyone celebrates, timeskip, new tournament, Uub is Buu’s reincarnation and Goku has one final character moment teasing out his inner power then leaves with him to train in Goku fashion. It was great, perfect closure. Why can’t more Shonens give us that? I miss Toriyama he definitely bucked a lot of trends to deliver a truly revolutionary story. These new mangakas seem to be slaves to their kooky editors who hate timeskips where characters leave adolescence and hate non-anti-climactic endings for whatever reason.
@Krystopher I disagree with DBZ having a good ending. It ends with Goku fucking off to train Uub, a character whose only followup would have been the non cannon GT series hardly anyone likes, if Super never became a thing. And they didn't even do much with him in that from what I remember. Would have been a total waste of the character.

Speaking of Super, it's existence kinda retroactively makes the ending even lamer imo. All the fights and power ups in Super lead to them ending up in a normal ass tournament just so Goku can find a kid who might be stronger than him some day. I don't know much about Super after the anime, but somehow I doubt Uub will take Goku's place after whatever training he receives.
12 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to FanofAction
@Krystopher I disagree with DBZ having a good ending. It ends with Goku fucking off to train Uub, a character whose only followup would have been the non cannon GT series hardly anyone likes, if Super never became a thing. And they didn't even do much with him in that from what I remember. Would have been a total waste of the character.

Speaking of Super, it's existence kinda retroactively makes the ending even lamer imo. All the fights and power ups in Super lead to them ending up in a normal ass tournament just so Goku can find a kid who might be stronger than him some day. I don't know much about Super after the anime, but somehow I doubt Uub will take Goku's place after whatever training he receives.
@FanofAction I hate Super and wish it didn’t exist, it is completely unnecessary filler and has very little to zero artistic value. They don’t even try to explain the transformations anymore.
12 hours ago

Jul 2024
Its better to end them than drag them on like boruto,even my favorite Gintama ended so I'm used to top selling manga ending surprisingly..
hopefully detective Conan never ends..
12 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to RainyEvenings
Its better to end them than drag them on like boruto,even my favorite Gintama ended so I'm used to top selling manga ending surprisingly..
hopefully detective Conan never ends..
@RainyEvenings One Piece should end next chapter then
12 hours ago

Oct 2013
Reply to Krystopher
@FanofAction I hate Super and wish it didn’t exist, it is completely unnecessary filler and has very little to zero artistic value. They don’t even try to explain the transformations anymore.
@Krystopher Did they before though? I mean..I guess they kinda did, but also not really from what I remember. They never really explained why a race that could turn into big monkeys could also turn blonde with varying lengths of hair. They just mentioned there was some kinda legend saying they could. Freiza was the worst example though. Again, this is entirely from memory, but I don't think they ever explained anything about why his forms looked the way they did.
11 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to FanofAction
@Krystopher Did they before though? I mean..I guess they kinda did, but also not really from what I remember. They never really explained why a race that could turn into big monkeys could also turn blonde with varying lengths of hair. They just mentioned there was some kinda legend saying they could. Freiza was the worst example though. Again, this is entirely from memory, but I don't think they ever explained anything about why his forms looked the way they did.
@FanofAction The legend was the explanation, but SSG was just the same explanation recycled, “actually there was 2 legendary super saiyans but one was red and stronger and had God ki which is ki but stronger and different color!” then Ultra Instinct was just kaioken “technique of the Gods” recycled. Gohan Beast has absolutely 0 explanation. At least with GT Super Saiyan 4 was the combination of Super Saiyan and Great Ape into one form, which was at least somewhat creative and followed the principle of chekov’s gun. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun
Krystopher11 hours ago
11 hours ago

Oct 2013
Reply to Krystopher
@FanofAction The legend was the explanation, but SSG was just the same explanation recycled, “actually there was 2 legendary super saiyans but one was red and stronger and had God ki which is ki but stronger and different color!” then Ultra Instinct was just kaioken “technique of the Gods” recycled. Gohan Beast has absolutely 0 explanation. At least with GT Super Saiyan 4 was the combination of Super Saiyan and Great Ape into one form, which was at least somewhat creative and followed the principle of chekov’s gun. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun
@Krystopher That's the one thing I see people give props to GT for. Super Saiyan 4 is for sure a better transformation than anything Dragon Ball Super had. With Gohan, I just figured it was handwaved as that being his hidden power they were trying to awaken back in the Buu saga.
11 hours ago

Aug 2017
Reply to Krystopher
@Krystopher ?

DBZ ending on Majin Buu Saga wasn't great, its was just very normal. Remember Toriyama was forced to create such arc since he wanted to end DBZ before. Goku finally dying and passing the role of protagonist to Gohan was a more interesting and better ending. Even GT has a better ending with us not knowing if Goku is still alive or dead and showing Vegeta and Goku's descendants.

Ironically, MHA has a similar ending to DBZ but with Goku doing nothing for his whole life besides fighting while Deku at least did something during the timeskip and the world not being the same as it used to be unlike DBZ world feeling very artificial from the start until the end. So very ironic you call MHA ending the "worst" and call DBZ "graceful" at the same when MHA ending is just DBZ ending but much better.
Nurguburu11 hours ago
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
9 hours ago

Dec 2020
I don't think Oda is a good comparison for other mangaka.
9 hours ago

Oct 2018
Bro they're fighting against Sukunda since chapter 122, it's the longest fight in the battle shounen history, Gege needs to finish this shit as soon as possible, people are making fun of him and his masterpiece.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
4 hours ago

Jun 2020
Gege has been planning to end JJK for a while now so I doubt he cares to do much epilogue, and shonen jump probably wasn't willing to give MHA more than 10 chapters for its own epliogue
4 hours ago

Jul 2023
Everything can't be compare with One piece and anything can't be as long while maintaining the quality...

3 hours ago

May 2024
The reason One Piece is still at it is cuz Jump doesn't wanna end it's sugar daddy series and will continue to milk it for ages even after its ending. Some series simply shouldn't go on for that long under normal circumstances.

Although it was also previously mentioned, but the Japanese style of rushed endings applies to manga and anime as well. Authors simply like to keep it traditional in most cases.
2 hours ago

May 2018
"What is up with these endings? MHA and JJK getting shafted?"

Every time the editors want to drag out or cut short the natural flow of a title, drop in quality happens.

More topics from this board

» Characters who don't have shame, that you love

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

9 by RainyEvenings »»
2 minutes ago

» What do you want to expel from the anime universe?

nirererin - 4 hours ago

12 by Noitora33 »»
4 minutes ago

» What was your favorite year of releases in the 21st century?

castle2001 - Jul 22

18 by TRC_Randy »»
8 minutes ago

» Are Anime Opening better now or before?

Dragevard - Aug 21

37 by tinshard »»
10 minutes ago

» Why your profile picture is your profile picture? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zakatsuki_ - Jul 14

150 by Shiroyaki »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.