Forum Settings
Forums

Madhouse, Cyclone Graphics Adapt 'Wondance' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

New
Yesterday, 2:14 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Production company Asmik Ace opened an official website for a television anime adaptation of Coffee's Wondance (Wandance) manga on Wednesday, revealing a celebratory illustration (pictured) by the creator.

Choreographer RIEHATA, known for her works with BTS and BoA, is credited as the dance producer. The anime series is being produced by Madhouse and Cyclone Graphics for a 2025 premiere.

Coffee began serializing the dance manga in Afternoon magazine in January 2019. Kodansha published the 12th volume on April 23 and will release the 13th volume on August 22.

Kodansha USA licensed the manga in English in July 2021 and released the tenth volume on August 13. The 11th volume is scheduled to go on sale on November 12.

Wondance was recommended by the jury at the 24th and 25th Japan Media Arts Festival in 2021 and 2022. The manga was included in MyAnimeList's 2023 edition of You Should Read This Manga in the Should Be Anime category.

Synopsis
Kaboku Kotani is starting high school, and he plans to do what he's always done: go along with his friends, keep quiet, and not draw too much attention to himself. After all, it's hard enough to get by with a stutter like his—why make things worse by standing out from the crowd? But then he sees another first-year, Hikari Wanda, dancing like no one is watching—or like she doesn't care who sees her. It makes Kaboku wonder: Could he reach that same freedom? To find his way to Wanda, he does something he never thought he could: He joins the dance club. After all, every routine begins with a single step, right? Join Kaboku and Wanda as they freestyle their way to life and love! (Source: Kodansha USA)

Official site: https://wandance.asmik-ace.co.jp/
Official X (Twitter): @wandance_info

Source: Comic Natalie

Wondance on MAL
VindstotYesterday, 4:04 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Yesterday, 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
Another adaptation of an interesting seinen manga from Afternoon? From Madhouse? Let me guess, we are get another amazingly animated and unique story that will still stop halfway like some Welcome to the ballroom or Waves Listen to Me because, because no one will make a sequel and forget about the show?
Yesterday, 3:18 PM

Jul 2015
A highly rated sport manga with an amazing art and a cute/talented female lead adapted by Madhouse, also it have a romance subplot

i cant ask for more, Count me in
Yesterday, 4:35 PM

Jul 2007
Reply to RobertBobert
Another adaptation of an interesting seinen manga from Afternoon? From Madhouse? Let me guess, we are get another amazingly animated and unique story that will still stop halfway like some Welcome to the ballroom or Waves Listen to Me because, because no one will make a sequel and forget about the show?
@RobertBobert I have not seen either of the shows you mention but looking around, at least Welcome to the Ballroom doesn't have enough content for a season 2. The author is constantly on hiatus due to health problems (or so the rumors say) and therefore it has barely progressed past the anime.

(this is why I wish more completed/long-running sources would be picked up as shows or continued; give the on-going series authors some space committees...)

tragedydesu said:
A highly rated sport manga with an amazing art and a cute/talented female lead adapted by Madhouse, also it have a romance subplot

You say romantic subplot and a likable FL and I get excited. I will keep my eye on it.
Yesterday, 5:58 PM

Jan 2016
This literally sounds like "Step Up!:The Anime"

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Jan 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert In the case of welcome to the Ballroom it actually adapted all of the at the time current chapters and went on hiatus for a long time it's on hiatus again now too after coming back for about 20 chapters
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Jul 2021
A dance anime is welcome, but I'm not too excited about the K-pop/J-pop choreographer. Then again, I guess in this day and age no one will be watching if it's any other kind of dancing...

Hopefully this anime will sell me on this style of dancing.
Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to iwubanime
@RobertBobert I have not seen either of the shows you mention but looking around, at least Welcome to the Ballroom doesn't have enough content for a season 2. The author is constantly on hiatus due to health problems (or so the rumors say) and therefore it has barely progressed past the anime.

(this is why I wish more completed/long-running sources would be picked up as shows or continued; give the on-going series authors some space committees...)

tragedydesu said:

You say romantic subplot and a likable FL and I get excited. I will keep my eye on it.
@iwubanime @yamiyugi101 What about the rest of the shows? Afternoon has a lot of good titles and many of them get anime. But never a franchise.

@perseii We literally had two classical dancing shows before this. I'm actually surprised that this is only the first show about street dancing. If we talk about serious, non-waifu/hasubendo shows, modern youth culture is rather poorly represented in anime. For example, if it weren’t for Bocchi the rock, we would have gotten the last “serious” show about rock music back in the 00s.
RobertBobertYesterday, 11:46 PM
11 hours ago

Mar 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert really really agree here
both were such great anime!

I have high expectations since ballroom was animated so well.

listsanime | manga⠀⠀⠀⠀
challengesawc | mrc⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
10 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to nightjasmine
@RobertBobert really really agree here
both were such great anime!

I have high expectations since ballroom was animated so well.
@nightjasmine I'm not a ballroom dancing fan, but I really enjoyed that show. But it has long gone into limbo.
9 hours ago

Feb 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert Don't know if you meant that Ballroom is from Afternoon, but it's actually from Monthly Shonen!
When you mention interesting seinen manga from Afternoon getting adaptations, I was just thinking the other day while watching Vinland Saga about how many adaptations the magazine gets. It's kinda weird for seinen magazine to have such concentration of anime adaptations and of high quality at that!

Vinland Saga, Land of the Lustrous, Blue Period, Parasyte, Mushishi, Blade of the Immortal, Genshiken, Tengoku Daimakyou, Skip to Loafer, Sidonia no Kishi, Megami-sama! are titles from the magazine that got an adaptation and all of them are well produced except Blade of the Immortal and Blue Period! I wonder if it's just coincidence or not. Tried to look into it a bit.

First I thought it might be because Afternoon is Kodansha's most popular seinen magazine. Turns out that's not the case. Weekly Young Magazine and Weekly Morning are both more popular seinen magazines and it's lot rarer for manga in those magazines to get adaptations and when they do it's mostly a shitty production (The Fable, My Home Hero and MF Ghost being recent examples). Only good adaptations from their titles seem to have happened 20 or more years ago now.

Then I tried to check if it's some Kodansha producer who happens to handle Afternoon titles that's just good and cares. Turns out that's not the case either because all Afternoon anime have been produced by different producers from Kodansha + quality of anime of each of those producers has worked on varies a lot.

The magazine has adaptations of Medalist, Yakuza Fiancé and now Wondance coming up. Medalist and Yakuza Fiance seem to be getting at least competent adaptations, judging the footage we have. As for Wondance, seeing how it's Madhouse, it can go either way. Unless it's Hattori Yuuta or Fukushi Yuuichirou as animation producer it will likely be a barely produced show outsourced to Dr. Movie.
8 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to Tsarko
@RobertBobert Don't know if you meant that Ballroom is from Afternoon, but it's actually from Monthly Shonen!
When you mention interesting seinen manga from Afternoon getting adaptations, I was just thinking the other day while watching Vinland Saga about how many adaptations the magazine gets. It's kinda weird for seinen magazine to have such concentration of anime adaptations and of high quality at that!

Vinland Saga, Land of the Lustrous, Blue Period, Parasyte, Mushishi, Blade of the Immortal, Genshiken, Tengoku Daimakyou, Skip to Loafer, Sidonia no Kishi, Megami-sama! are titles from the magazine that got an adaptation and all of them are well produced except Blade of the Immortal and Blue Period! I wonder if it's just coincidence or not. Tried to look into it a bit.

First I thought it might be because Afternoon is Kodansha's most popular seinen magazine. Turns out that's not the case. Weekly Young Magazine and Weekly Morning are both more popular seinen magazines and it's lot rarer for manga in those magazines to get adaptations and when they do it's mostly a shitty production (The Fable, My Home Hero and MF Ghost being recent examples). Only good adaptations from their titles seem to have happened 20 or more years ago now.

Then I tried to check if it's some Kodansha producer who happens to handle Afternoon titles that's just good and cares. Turns out that's not the case either because all Afternoon anime have been produced by different producers from Kodansha + quality of anime of each of those producers has worked on varies a lot.

The magazine has adaptations of Medalist, Yakuza Fiancé and now Wondance coming up. Medalist and Yakuza Fiance seem to be getting at least competent adaptations, judging the footage we have. As for Wondance, seeing how it's Madhouse, it can go either way. Unless it's Hattori Yuuta or Fukushi Yuuichirou as animation producer it will likely be a barely produced show outsourced to Dr. Movie.
@Tsarko I mentioned them because all these works were created with great love and quality, but in the end they remained expensive advertising for manga. Nowadays even cheap isekai get sequels, but back then even quality shows went nowhere after one season.
4 hours ago

Jul 2007
Reply to RobertBobert
@iwubanime @yamiyugi101 What about the rest of the shows? Afternoon has a lot of good titles and many of them get anime. But never a franchise.

@perseii We literally had two classical dancing shows before this. I'm actually surprised that this is only the first show about street dancing. If we talk about serious, non-waifu/hasubendo shows, modern youth culture is rather poorly represented in anime. For example, if it weren’t for Bocchi the rock, we would have gotten the last “serious” show about rock music back in the 00s.
RobertBobert said:
What about the rest of the shows? Afternoon has a lot of good titles and many of them get anime. But never a franchise.

I agree with you but was mostly commenting on the two you mentioned. Many shows are lacking in sequels or could get full adaptations but don't. It's one of my complaints about the industry.

Afternoon shows are no different. I quite enjoyed Ah My Goddess at the time and wish there would have been more, though it looks like it received more episodes than most on that list. Skip to Loafer would be a more recent pick, though there are other shows (not from Afternoon) that I'd want more.
4 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to iwubanime
RobertBobert said:
What about the rest of the shows? Afternoon has a lot of good titles and many of them get anime. But never a franchise.

I agree with you but was mostly commenting on the two you mentioned. Many shows are lacking in sequels or could get full adaptations but don't. It's one of my complaints about the industry.

Afternoon shows are no different. I quite enjoyed Ah My Goddess at the time and wish there would have been more, though it looks like it received more episodes than most on that list. Skip to Loafer would be a more recent pick, though there are other shows (not from Afternoon) that I'd want more.
@iwubanime It's just disappointing as the anime becomes less valuable in your eyes due to the lack of continuation of the story and the clear intention of making it just an advertisement for the manga. I know many people who started reading this or that manga after an anime that did not receive a continuation, and many of them simply feel like a member of a manga fandom with a bonus anime.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert

RobertBobert said:
We literally had two classical dancing shows before this.

Did you mean Welcome to the Ballroom and... Dance Dance Danseur?

I wasn't really hoping for more "classical dancing," anyway. There are lots of options. Break dancing, maybe? Something traditional Japanese?

RobertBobert said:
I'm actually surprised that this is only the first show about street dancing.

That is strange, if true. I'd guess that "modern" dancing is just a pain in the butt to animate with lots of complex movements. Or at least it's way too much work for something that doesn't have the mass appeal of a shounen fight choreography.

RobertBobert said:
modern youth culture is rather poorly represented in anime

Calling K-pop dance "modern youth culture" feels weird for some reason... But sure, I'm now more interested and supportive.

On a side note, I just realized that it won't necessarily feature K-pop just because the "dance producer" previously worked with BTS. So we'll see.
2 hours ago

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
RobertBobert said:
We literally had two classical dancing shows before this.

Did you mean Welcome to the Ballroom and... Dance Dance Danseur?

I wasn't really hoping for more "classical dancing," anyway. There are lots of options. Break dancing, maybe? Something traditional Japanese?

RobertBobert said:
I'm actually surprised that this is only the first show about street dancing.

That is strange, if true. I'd guess that "modern" dancing is just a pain in the butt to animate with lots of complex movements. Or at least it's way too much work for something that doesn't have the mass appeal of a shounen fight choreography.

RobertBobert said:
modern youth culture is rather poorly represented in anime

Calling K-pop dance "modern youth culture" feels weird for some reason... But sure, I'm now more interested and supportive.

On a side note, I just realized that it won't necessarily feature K-pop just because the "dance producer" previously worked with BTS. So we'll see.
@perseii I'm not familiar with this work, but it seems like this is really the first anime about urban street dancing. They even outperformed the hits I knew with a similar setting.

More topics from this board

» 'Tongari Boushi no Atelier' Reveals Main Staff, Teaser Promo for 2025

Hyperion_PS - Jul 4

44 by Una_Sama89 »»
53 minutes ago

» Voice Actress Atsuko Tanaka Dies at 61 ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - Aug 20

58 by X5452 »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Mattaku Saikin no Tantei to Kitara' Receives TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Ame to Kimi to' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Aug 20

17 by RaviDavi »»
4 hours ago

» Seiyuu Kinryuu Arimoto Dies

tsubasalover - Feb 8, 2019

36 by JustMaya »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.