Forum Settings
Forums

Is Sword Art Online the most influential anime?

New
6 hours ago

Apr 2018
SAO arguably played a huge role in popularizing the isekai genre and a lot of anime characters have a striking resemblance to Kirito. Whether it’s the hairstyle, outfit, or overall demeanor, it feels like Kirito’s design has become a template for many anime protagonists. Do you agree that SAO is the most influential anime, or is there another series that you believe has had a greater impact?
6 hours ago

May 2019
No, in terms of anime overall Astro Boy is the most influential anime, it set the standard on how anime should look and what it should be and codified many tropes.
6 hours ago

Feb 2020
"Is Sword Art Online the most influential anime?"

Not at all.

Serafos5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Oct 2018
Nope, but it's the most influential to the modern isekai, even though SAO isn't an isekai per se.

All the tropes followed by the generic isekai started with SAO, or at least got popular because of SAO.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
5 hours ago

Jan 2018
overlord gives more weight to non human design show but i'd say it's still the sales in japan that churns out what we see today.
5 hours ago
Feb 2022
I'd say there are more influential anime than SAO (but I haven't watched it so what do I know).

Evangelion, not only for the glut of 'edgy', 'psychological' anime around the turn of the millenium, but also for paving the way for moe as a deliberate part of how characters were written and designed.
Azumanga Daioh for pioneering the CGDCT subgenre - that genre has had shockingly few developments since then.
The original Gundam for making the industry realize that there was a huge market for anime aimed at older demographics.
And Dragon ball for being the template for every battle-shounen that came after.

Also, Zero no Tsukaima for kicking off the whole Shousetsuka ni Narou! endless Isekai nightmare that we all inhabit.
Boswell_Barque5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Jun 2024
Well there's Sally the witch the first ever Magical girl anime and first shoujo anime.

And Akko chan the first magical girl ever on Manga.

5 hours ago

Feb 2023
No. I don't even think SAO started the isekai trend. It started a trend of video game themed anime from 2012-2015, but I believe it is more likely that Re:Zero is what caused the isekai boom, starting in Spring 2016. Konosuba in the season before that also was a major contributor.

Spring 2016 is also the season where anime started to noticeably decline in quality. Boku no Hero Academia also started to air in Spring 2016, which was a very American-influenced anime.
ForgotEyeWasHere5 hours ago
5 hours ago

May 2023
Rather than isekai, I put SAO as the most influential immersive VRMMORPG themed series, which encouraged that sub-theme of the major video-game theme.. so I disagree with the argument that SAO played a huge role, or even a small significant role in popularizing isekai theme..
The character design influence... maybe.. I agree many similar titles with OP-MCs have similar design.. but can't say for sure if they were influenced by SAO unless creation timeline, artists involved etc are analyzed..
Being as popular as it was during initial hype run, there are certainly ways in which it influenced anime, though it's popularity waned significantly after the first couple of titles in the franchise.. So, most influential it ain't...

But, I also can't pinpoint one title as being most influential.. I can say for one theme, i.e. harem.. High School DxD is one of the most influential anime of that theme.. there are other titles that contributed.. but I think it's most popular one would be High School DxD..
4 hours ago

Jul 2010
When it comes to Isekai & Video Game Theme we can't argue with that.
4 hours ago

May 2024
SAO is responsible for this wave of isekai in the past decade, but that's it. Didn't really influence much outside of its own genre. While there are series like Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Sailor Moon, Gundam, etc, which have impacted the entire medium and not just their respective genres. So no, SAO is not the most influential anime.
4 hours ago

Jan 2009
i thought mushoku tensei is the godfather of isekai?
4 hours ago

Feb 2023
Everyone looks similar to Kirito because it's a very generic face, combined with typical Japanese black hair, a trendy hairstyle and some cool clothes.
As much as I love Sword Art Online, I don't think it's been as big of an influence for character design as some people claim. There have been more than enough characters who look like Kirito even before the SAO anime got released.

4 hours ago

Apr 2024
not sure
cuz the first Isekai I ever watched was Mondaiji Tachi
pretty solid mediocre but kind of entertain
4 hours ago

Mar 2023
Even if it was that, the anime still sucks.
4 hours ago

May 2024
Reply to deg
i thought mushoku tensei is the godfather of isekai?
@deg Most tropes MT and SAO use were not created by these 2 series, they just popularized it. And yes MT is generally considered to be the most influential isekai due to the fact that SAO does not feature traditional fantasy isekai tropes, nor reincarnation.
4 hours ago

Jan 2009
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@deg Most tropes MT and SAO use were not created by these 2 series, they just popularized it. And yes MT is generally considered to be the most influential isekai due to the fact that SAO does not feature traditional fantasy isekai tropes, nor reincarnation.
@SimplyBrazen ye true they just popularize it, older anime like hack sign predates sword art online same is true with older isekai like escaflowne, inuyasaha, fushigi yugi, magic knight rayearth and many more
3 hours ago

Jul 2013
No, but there is alot of good hentai fan art of it online, which is the only thing that actually matters to me.
3 hours ago

Sep 2018
Probably dragon ball z inspires almost every modern shounen using many of its tropes.
2 hours ago
Apr 2024
Gundam, dragon ball z, evangelion, Pokémon, any go nagai mecha, astro boy and Urusei yatsura are the most influential I know of and are vastly more influencential (not by that order)
Astro boy-the first anime that was well known
Go nagai -started the mecha genre which is the most influential anime genre probably, also the origin of the connection of anime to ecchi (I may not care for it but it is influential)
Gundam-it's gundam
Urusei yatsura -the origin of harem and wifu culture
Evangelion-influenced many writers and animators even outside anime
Dragon ball z-defined most shonen tropes
2 hours ago
Feb 2022
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@SimplyBrazen Most influential isekai being MT has to be a joke. Re:zero came wayy earlier, and has always been wayy more popular than Mushoku ever will be. It typically started the isekai outburst.
2 hours ago

May 2024
Reply to Styx_Paradise
@SimplyBrazen Most influential isekai being MT has to be a joke. Re:zero came wayy earlier, and has always been wayy more popular than Mushoku ever will be. It typically started the isekai outburst.
@Styx_Paradise The only reason Japanese authors decided to borrow certain fantasy tropes for their isekai is all cuz of MT's reputation and impact in Japanese audiences. Re Zero is more popular in the west, but that doesn't mean it has influenced the genre more than MT, cuz it hasn't. Mushoku Tensei's web novel started around the same time as Re:Zero's web novel did, which was sometime during 2012, so your argument of it being older is also false.

More topics from this board

» So many zoomers are only watching the same 5 big shounen-anime and I hate it

MyllerPhiem - 15 minutes ago

2 by Codric »»
1 minute ago

» Couple you sure are gonna broke up later

kirA_-_ - 59 minutes ago

4 by SwordBreaker36 »»
11 minutes ago

» Who's your first anime crush?

Kanipan_Enkuldes - Yesterday

29 by Zakatsuki_ »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime would you like to see another season of? ( 1 2 )

doctor - Jun 22

66 by Mucharetsu »»
28 minutes ago

» What is the least importan aspect of an anime?

Spunkert - May 11

33 by DesuMaiden »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.