New
Jul 20, 10:20 AM

Jan 2019
Why is anime so dead right now?

Discuss.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 20, 10:23 AM

Feb 2020
For me, 2023 was the year when anime stopped being great, or at least it feels like that at the moment. The quality of the seasonal anime has dropped pretty much imo.
Jul 20, 10:29 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Serafos
For me, 2023 was the year when anime stopped being great, or at least it feels like that at the moment. The quality of the seasonal anime has dropped pretty much imo.
@Serafos It has been in decline for quite a long time for me. But the last few months in particular have just been a graveyard. I look at the currently airing and upcoming and it's a wasteland.
Jul 20, 10:37 AM

Jan 2021
Anime is not dead, don't know why you think that.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 20, 10:38 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Cielord
Anime is not dead, don't know why you think that.
@Cielord Look at my reply above yours. I am waiting for something good and it's all slop. Not hard to understand.
Jul 20, 10:42 AM

Apr 2011
No.

Summer is weak, Fall will be better.
Jul 20, 10:43 AM

Jan 2015
There are great anime coming out this season. You're just not watching them
Jul 20, 10:43 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to IKKIsama
No.

Summer is weak, Fall will be better.
@IKKIsama I don't need to cope. I'm fine with watching older anime or not at all. But I am getting tired of not seeing good stuff come out at all. Speaks to the decline of a once flourishing art.
Jul 20, 10:44 AM

Apr 2018
If you are not satisfied with current anime, just watch older anime?
Jul 20, 10:45 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
There has been too many cringe series but not that dead right now. We need to go back to early 2000 to re-evaluate anime in whole.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jul 20, 10:45 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Saiche
There are great anime coming out this season. You're just not watching them
@Saiche Where? Bro it's 2024, 2009 was 15 years ago KOL
Jul 20, 10:46 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to rho34
If you are not satisfied with current anime, just watch older anime?
@rho34 I do. This thread is a discussion of the desert that is current anime. Thank you for your comment.
Jul 20, 10:52 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Azuchi
There has been too many cringe series but not that dead right now. We need to go back to early 2000 to re-evaluate anime in whole.
@Azuchi "We need to go back to early 2000"
Agree.
Jul 20, 10:58 AM
May 2018
It's not for me, I mean I'm not really interested in any airing this season, but then again I've never been a seasonal watcher to begin with. I would suggest looking at your backlog.
Jul 20, 11:02 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to animegamer245
It's not for me, I mean I'm not really interested in any airing this season, but then again I've never been a seasonal watcher to begin with. I would suggest looking at your backlog.
@animegamer245 Obviously I do. Most stuff in my PTW is older. But I would still love to see good new anime. I just don't see progress.
Jul 20, 11:04 AM

Sep 2016
MercurialAlien said:

Why wasn't anime so alive right before?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 20, 11:06 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Zarutaku
MercurialAlien said:

Why wasn't anime so alive right before?
@Zarutaku It wasn't. You have to go years in the past to find a significantly good time for anime.
Jul 20, 11:06 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MercurialAlien
@Cielord Look at my reply above yours. I am waiting for something good and it's all slop. Not hard to understand.
@MercurialAlien There are multiple good seasonals each season, but what do i expect you don't even check them.
Jul 20, 11:07 AM

Sep 2018
Anime is bigger now than ever, and even still growing.
Jul 20, 11:08 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Cielord
@MercurialAlien There are multiple good seasonals each season, but what do i expect you don't even check them.
@Cielord Where?? List them and I will determine if they are good.
Jul 20, 11:13 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to rohan121
Anime is bigger now than ever, and even still growing.
@rohan121 I meant dead in the 'bad' sense, not in the sense of waning popularity. You are correct. Anime has become more mainstream. In the West particularly, it has already been a huge part of the Japanese media economy for decades.
Jul 20, 11:13 AM

Oct 2013
Joined in 2019. Hasn't even completed 100 series. Claims anime is dead. Yeah, that checks out....Unless you're like me and some others and had been watching for several years before joining this site, and just haven't added everything you've seen, this is impossible to take seriously.
Jul 20, 11:16 AM

Apr 2020
It's not dead, you probably grew out of it like most people and realised that 90% of anime is garbage. Adding to that the nostalgia preventing from judging objectively the past anime you've watched.
Many such cases.
Jul 20, 11:19 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to MercurialAlien
@MercurialAlien

Cielord said:
Favorite sequels so far.
Monogatari Series: Off & Monster Season It's Monogatari, so it's obviously peak.
"Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season The quality is top notch like season one. And I'm a manga reader, so i know how great this arc is.
Kami no Tou: Ouji no Kikan When i read the manhwa the beginning of the arc was a bit slow, but then it turned much better. I dislike the artstyle change, though the animation is solid

Favorite/promising new series
Roshidere I like Alya and Yuki a lot already, and both their voice acting is great + Wincest.
Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan So far, it's only funny brainrot. I hope it will be like Konosuba, and will make me laugh each episode along with having well written character dynamic.
Wistoria: Wand and Sword Only good animation so far, but the author is the same author of Danmachi, who knows how write the 'generic' kind MC in a way he will be intersting.
Gimai Seikatsu Thought it's just another incest bait, using the excuse of inseki. But it actually take the step sibilings stuff realistically. The character interaction is very nice.
Isekai Shikkaku Osamu Dazai isekai parody with Hiroshi Kamiya as the voice actor. Do you need anything else?
Shoushimin Series It's the same author as Hyouka, but i never watched Hyouka, so i didn't know what to expect. You can see the author already planned something deeper, and the visuals are nice.
Atri: My Dear Moments Love the ocean scenery and the i heard good things about the VN.
Koi wa Futago de Warikirenai Only watched the first episode so far, and its really good. Seeing the different struggle of the 2 twins and both of their perspectives, was interesting. I am kinda worried, as i feel like it will fall to annoying troupes.

From another thread about my favorites from this season ONLY. If it's about 2020+ animes I could say a lot more. Also from a quick look into your account, I see that you didn't even watched any seasonals this past recent years. So I really don't how you're so determined they are all bad, without even checking a single episode. And another quick look into your account, show me you has 100+ PTW so i also don't get why are you complaining about anime being 'dead' while wanting to watch so much stuff.
Jul 20, 11:25 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to FanofAction
Joined in 2019. Hasn't even completed 100 series. Claims anime is dead. Yeah, that checks out....Unless you're like me and some others and had been watching for several years before joining this site, and just haven't added everything you've seen, this is impossible to take seriously.
@FanofAction "Oh my god! He hasn't wasted as much of his life watching 5/10 anime like I have! LOLOL can't take this seriously!"
Do you understand what you come off like?
Jul 20, 11:26 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to MercurialAlien
@MercurialAlien right now there is dead dead demon's dededede destruction, the adaptation did some stupid stuff but it's still great, I agree there is a lot of junk but there are some good stuff
Jul 20, 11:28 AM
Apr 2024
Anime is not dead. tastes changes, and you probably comparing 10 animes out of thousands that were released years ago to every one of them, but back them "the good day for anime" there were A LOT of trash anime as well you only happen to remember the good ones and say "anime was better back then" no it wasn't. You can see how SAO was a massive hit back then. Now go and try to see SAO now.
Jul 20, 11:29 AM

Jan 2015
Reply to MercurialAlien
@Saiche Where? Bro it's 2024, 2009 was 15 years ago KOL
@MercurialAlien DeDeDe, The Elusive Samurai, The Fable, Monogatari Off & Monster Season, Wistoria might be good not sure yet, Spice and Wolf Remake and Oshi no Ko. There are also some others that are solid but not quite to that level.
Jul 20, 11:29 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to SupChoco
It's not dead, you probably grew out of it like most people and realised that 90% of anime is garbage. Adding to that the nostalgia preventing from judging objectively the past anime you've watched.
Many such cases.
@SupChoco While I disagree partially with your premise, at least you have offered an argument with some semblance of substance, unlike most of the dunces replying. I do think anime was overall better in prior years, but yes it was always mostly trash. And there are still good shows being made. But I find most of the stuff people make noise about now to be mostly insufferable. I can still evaluate great anime of the past with my current brain and realize it was largely superior to what is popular now.
Jul 20, 11:32 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to MercurialAlien
@FanofAction "Oh my god! He hasn't wasted as much of his life watching 5/10 anime like I have! LOLOL can't take this seriously!"
@MercurialAlien I do, unlike you apparently. What you said isn't any less stupid than what I did. I mean...All you did was claim anime is dead without giving a single reasoning, and even if you did, it would have been almost entirely subjective.
Jul 20, 11:34 AM

Nov 2013
This is such a strange thread to make coming off a year with Freiren, Oshi no Ko, Boku no Kokoro, Mushoku Tensei, Dungeon Meshi, Kimitsu no Yaiba and several others which have performed incredibly well.

Given how much OP is interacting with any dissenting opinion, I have to assume this is a rage bait thread for trolling.
Jul 20, 11:37 AM

Sep 2008
because it's no longer creator driven. you don't see a lot of originals nowadays
because they are being rushed out. so they look mostly crap
because anime has stopped being the end product, it's just lightnovel commercials now.
because the source (lightnovels) suck shit, talentless idiots write webnovels, which gets heavily doctored by editors and get turned into commercial products.
because censorship. they get further toned down for tv.
because the current romcom-isekai spam is beyond tiring. sci-fi is dead.

I could go on forever.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jul 20, 11:37 AM

Aug 2017
Huh? What are you talking about? Anime is mainstream.

Also OP, Anime isn't dead just because you can't find something to enjoy. What logic is that? And you don't even watch much Anime to make such illogical claim.
NurguburuJul 20, 11:42 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 20, 11:38 AM

Jun 2019
I truly don't see that. I was interested in, and consequently watched, more airing seasonals in the past season, spring of 2024, than I did in any other season in three years since spring of 2021. Actually, I'd have to recount and look at them side by side, but I think it may have even been one or two more than in spring of 2021.

I'm watching, I think, 11 seasonals from the current season. I believe that I'll end up watching more new series this year overall than last year and that this year may have a higher number of series which intrigue me than 2023. But 2023 also wasn't terrible.

The only recent year which actually stood out as notably low on interesting offerings to me was 2022. With a few notable exceptions such as Lycoris Recoil and Arknights, I found mostly everything else I watched more just on the serviceable and mediocre side, and didn't watch (as far as new ones) as much in general. I actually felt that 2022 may have been the worst year for anime in entire decades, maybe worse than any other year in the 21st century and maybe as bad only as some year in the 80s or 70s where there wasn't as much great on offer (can't say precisely as I still haven't watched nearly as many series from previous older decades as the 1970s, 80s, and even 90s as I'd like to eventually).

I feel as if literally every single anime season, and especially every summer season, there is at least one person proclaiming it is the worst season for anime in history though. I definitely don't feel that in particular from last season or this season at all.
Jul 20, 11:40 AM

Jan 2008
It's slowed down a little but there are still awesome anime out there. Demon slayer hit with an absolute banger episode for the last season. Frierin is number one anime on here. Oshi no Koi hit mainstream with it's opening. One Piece has reached global status. Yeah there is mid anime about and too much trash isekai but it's not all bad
Jul 20, 11:41 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to TheDarkLordOtaku
This is such a strange thread to make coming off a year with Freiren, Oshi no Ko, Boku no Kokoro, Mushoku Tensei, Dungeon Meshi, Kimitsu no Yaiba and several others which have performed incredibly well.

Given how much OP is interacting with any dissenting opinion, I have to assume this is a rage bait thread for trolling.
@TheDarkLordOtaku
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
Freiren, Oshi no Ko, Boku no Kokoro, Mushoku Tensei, Dungeon Meshi, Kimitsu no Yaiba

*********************Mid fest************************
Jul 20, 11:43 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to nyugvo6
because it's no longer creator driven. you don't see a lot of originals nowadays
because anime has stopped being the end product, it's just lightnovel commercials now.
because the source (lightnovels) suck shit, talentless idiots write webnovels, which gets heavily doctored by editors and get turned into commercial products.

I could go on forever.
@nyugvo6 Finally, some answers. Thank you. Yes, alot of these seem like likely causes. It's so sad to see this. Anime used to have sovl.
Jul 20, 11:47 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to MercurialAlien
@MercurialAlien If you don't watch enough Anime, you don't any evidence to say "Anime is dead" since you didn't experience enough. It's like saying the pizza is made from ingredients you don't like then you claim every pizza is awful. I can't take you seriously.

@SupChoco Most people don't grew up from Anime, that's like saying people grew up from listening to songs or watching films.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 20, 11:50 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Nurguburu
@MercurialAlien If you don't watch enough Anime, you don't any evidence to say "Anime is dead" since you didn't experience enough. It's like saying the pizza is made from ingredients you don't like then you claim every pizza is awful. I can't take you seriously.

@SupChoco Most people don't grew up from Anime, that's like saying people grew up from listening to songs or watching films.
@Nurguburu Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope
Jul 20, 11:54 AM

Sep 2018
I deleted my previous reply because it wasn't the right approach.

I agree there's not much for you in the last few years if you hate shounenslop ("because only the shounenslop I watched during my formative years is good!"), fantasyslop and moeshit. Despite your Naruto pfp, I think you might like anime that belong to the 2020s elitist starter pack like Sonny Boy, The Tatami Time Machine Blues and Pluto (btw I hate 2 of these 3).
Jul 20, 11:57 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Nurguburu

@Nurguburu

You're supposed to grow up from a media clearly targeted towards children and teenagers but ok. Weebs being the exeption to the rule I guess.
Also music and other media taste change as you grow older, or at least I hope for you it will.
Jul 20, 12:00 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to MercurialAlien
@TheDarkLordOtaku
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
Freiren, Oshi no Ko, Boku no Kokoro, Mushoku Tensei, Dungeon Meshi, Kimitsu no Yaiba

*********************Mid fest************************
@MercurialAlien Do you feel you've sufficiently baited enough reactions to increase your power level? I can't imagine this is your final form.
Jul 20, 12:01 PM
Apr 2014
It isn't dead, but there are too many restrictions in place that don't allow for enough variance in terms of things like animation/art style/direction/story, well really everything in my opinion. The further back you go the less there exists a concept of an ideal anime, and more importantly the less restrictions have been created within the minds of the people who work on them. The closer you get to the current times the more and more they have created focus point, restrictions, and all of these checkboxes to meet that quite honestly all serve to interfere with the production of making an interesting anime in favor of a production that is sanitized without many errors. That isn't to say interesting anime don't get made, if we look past all of this there are still plenty of shows I like even from this season(honestly my threshold for enjoying things is a little too low, and I don't know how to rate things properly) but I do think the average anime has become blander in recent years because of this.

For example the amount of anime I see abusing something that is objectively hideous like blurring backgrounds when it is not even remotely visually necessary, sometimes never even showing the background they created at all for example is just one minor thing among the haystack, but they all add up, and it feels like this blur is just being used because it was considered almost systematically, rather than creatively. Then you add another hundred things to the list that are all not necessarily needed but get regularly performed and you have on your hands years spent satisfying a checklist, instead of years spent trying to make something interesting/unique. I hope that helps explain what I wanted to convey a little more.
Jul 20, 12:03 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to SupChoco
@Nurguburu

You're supposed to grow up from a media clearly targeted towards children and teenagers but ok. Weebs being the exeption to the rule I guess.
Also music and other media taste change as you grow older, or at least I hope for you it will.
@SupChoco Anime is enjoyed by teens and adults, the "target" is irrelevant. Many music and films have extremely immature humor, scenes and lyrics yet many people enjoy them even if they are not they "target". Anime is no way different just because its just animated.
Jul 20, 12:04 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to nyugvo6

I could go on forever.
@nyugvo6 I feel like the lack of anime originals is the biggest problem, adaptations can be good but they are limiting creativity
Jul 20, 12:04 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to Nirinbo
I deleted my previous reply because it wasn't the right approach.

I agree there's not much for you in the last few years if you hate shounenslop ("because only the shounenslop I watched during my formative years is good!"), fantasyslop and moeshit. Despite your Naruto pfp, I think you might like anime that belong to the 2020s elitist starter pack like Sonny Boy, The Tatami Time Machine Blues and Pluto (btw I hate 2 of these 3).
@Nirinbo
Nirinbo said:
because only the shounenslop I watched during my formative years is good!

Objectively true....Well, the first season of AoT was good, but that came out 11 years ago.

We used to just call it "good".
Jul 20, 12:13 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to TheDarkLordOtaku
@MercurialAlien Do you feel you've sufficiently baited enough reactions to increase your power level? I can't imagine this is your final form.
@TheDarkLordOtaku ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~まだまだこれからだ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jul 20, 12:27 PM

Feb 2009
Reply to MercurialAlien
@Serafos It has been in decline for quite a long time for me. But the last few months in particular have just been a graveyard. I look at the currently airing and upcoming and it's a wasteland.
@MercurialAlien Just because it's your opinion that "anime is dead" doesn't make it a fact. There are plenty of great anime this season and in recent seasons, just because you feel that way does not make it true, sorry. You speak of people not having good replies in your thread as well, but the fact is your thread itself is a completely trash take so it deserves a trash reply.
Jul 20, 12:31 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to MercurialAlien
@TheDarkLordOtaku ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~まだまだこれからだ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@MercurialAlien 君の力は素晴らしい。。。一緒に世界征服し労!
Jul 20, 12:35 PM

Nov 2021
Bcuz I'm dead rn

No Discussion. /thread
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that was once a big favorite of yours, but became disliked/hated later on

BomberThink - Yesterday

24 by dziablo »»
12 minutes ago

» 📝 AD Best Seiyuu Contest ( 1 2 3 4 )

Shizuna - Jul 14

166 by -YaoiBoy- »»
17 minutes ago

» Fourth wall breaking anime idea.

ZakuF_ - 9 hours ago

5 by JaniSIr »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » BEST SHAFT ANIME (POLL)

ZXEAN - 1 hour ago

8 by Guilmon1 »»
26 minutes ago

» Has watching anime or reading manga motivated anyone for like sketching or some hobby like that??

yameteKudasaiKun - Jul 19

12 by Maou_heika »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.