Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you want more ecchi (as manga version) in 2.5D Seduction Anime?
Jul 12, 1:11 PM

Jul 2021
Dang it, J.C. Staff Studio!

As an Ecchi Fan (and Man of Culture), I'm kinda disappointed of ecchi scenes in anime.

The ecchi scenes in anime isn't accurate as manga version. I read the manga about 2 years ago (June 2022) that I saw ecchi scenes (especially bra and pantyshots, even 'nips' (*ppai) in uncensored version), but few volumes in manga later, it's not much ecchi anymore, even censor the 'nips'.

Then in anime, it's less ecchi than I thought. No wonder it's Rated PG-13 (not Rated R+). Not to mention this ecchi scene (in manga page) that didn't much happen in Episode 2 Anime. CLICK SPOILER for the manga page.

What do you think (, Ecchi Fans)? Should this anime be more ecchi as manga version?

PS: I'm still continuing to watch 2.5D Seduction anime, no matter what!
cjlouotaku416Jul 12, 1:19 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 12, 1:33 PM
May 2022
obviously it should've been more ecchi but the adaptation is beautiful, I almost cry out of Joy
Jul 12, 1:36 PM

Jan 2013
Unfortunately, this is a watered down adaptation even by censored ecchi standards. It's more like a "regular" anime with some added fanservice.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 12, 1:39 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to simio_curioso
obviously it should've been more ecchi but the adaptation is beautiful, I almost cry out of Joy
@simio_curioso Well, yeah. It's not bad. But still...
Jul 12, 1:50 PM

Sep 2021
I'm a woman (and a relatively new ecchi fan) lol, but hopefully I can still speak on this.

Personally, I was drawn to 2.5-jigen no Ririsa for the cosplay premise, and I ended up loving those extremely detailed cosplay-focused panels, and also, yeah, that the manga is just filled with ecchi. I actually think it's a really important parallel to Ririsa's character, and how she hid her interests in ecchi because she was so worried about being judged for them. I hugely relate to that, and I'm still working through a lot of that myself (that's a long story that doesn't relate to this, though). But part of what made 2.5-jigen no Ririsa so impactful for me was being able to admit that I like it for both the cosplay AND the ecchi, which is like, very important, and I'd argue that it's actually the point of the manga to begin with. Like, just like the characters that Ririsa cosplays, characters can be cute and sexy and badass and hot all at the same time, and it's likewise okay for the manga to be the same, and have all of these different kinds of moments (with tons of ecchi and fanservice) in it, too.

Like... the fanservice is amazing, and it's also plot-relevant. So seeing something sanitized and censored like this actually annoys the hell out of me. Idk how much I have to censor myself here on the forums, but... literally I love the cosplays in the manga because of the visible underboob and the pantyshots and just how hot they are. And I love Ririsa's character because of how much she learns to value herself as a cosplayer, and how she realizes that a) she is in fact really hot and attractive exactly the way she is, and b) that her love of characters that just happen to be from ecchi anime and manga, is nothing to be ashamed of. Like even the manga page you showed: It really does represent fanservice shots that I've seen in ecchi shonen manga, like that's the whole point; and the anime just doesn't do it justice. It's just sadly ironic to me that a manga that starts out examining shame for your interests is... censoring those interests in its anime adaption.

I'm rambling a lot, but idk. This was the manga that led me down a rabbit hole of really good ecchi/18+ visual novels with really amazing heroines that I adore... so I have a lot of feelings about this haha. And like, yeah, I know this was probably done to make money (like they'll probably have uncensored Blu-rays later or whatever), but it's still very frustrating. Hopefully you don't mind a woman's perspective on this~

And also like???? Manga Lilliel and Manga Ririsa cosplaying her are just absolutely 1000% superior, that design is so hot and cute and iconic and it's missing so much of the fanservice that made me love it in the manga...
I'm praying for uncensored blu-rays at this point.
Otherwise the adaption is great, but it's literally missing a huge important part of the manga's identity, is basically how I feel.

I'm okay now... At least... I want to be able to say that.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Jul 12, 2:00 PM

Jan 2013
@smoltulip

First off, I enjoyed reading your comment, and you're more than welcome to comment here, and you don't really have to censor yourself at all if it's relevant to the discussion. I'm a guy, but I'm very sex-positive/non-judgmental, so I really appreciate stories with sexually empowered female characters, even if they double as shameless fanservice lol. Second, unfortunately, there's almost zero chance of an uncensored BD release. Today any uncensored ecchi anime can air alongside the "light beam" version thanks to networks that air adult content, if that is what the creators wish to do. The scenes in the anime as they currently are aren't just "censored", they're completely altered to obscure erotic content out of frame, so they would have to redraw a whole bunch of scenes, and it just wouldn't be realistic or make sense given the direction they've chosen to go in.

LostSpectreJul 12, 2:04 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 12, 2:27 PM
Dec 2018
I'm anime only for this one.

Maybe the manga was more spicy but the ecchi comedy hits the target so I don't care if the original was more erotised I still crack smiles at the anime's silly jokes.
Jul 12, 2:34 PM
Feb 2020
The fan service only happen around earlier 50 chapter after that it's just flow more to the storyline...for me it's the good progress for not make too much ecchi because this anime got like 24 eps what if they make the ecchi scene hard exactly like manga

Then after past 50 chapter fan gonna feel bored because they dont see ecchi scene more than before and they drop it or maybe worse make bad statement because they not watching based on story but on plot.I bet 80 percent of y'all watch this anime came from dress ip darling coz y'all want plot not understanding fully meaning the anime talking about( this my opinion!!!)
Jul 12, 2:47 PM

Jan 2014
While someone else was mentioned it: I do think this premise is both tragic and funny. I'm pretty deep into the manga now, and it's obviously evident one of its core themes is that women can like and express their love for sexy and lewd things. Despite the general consensus that girls shouldn't be into that, it's a theme that fight against those cultural norms, and that freedom of expression can flourish. Meanwhile the anime LITERALLY says fuck that message, we are censoring anything that is considered sexy, because it's not "appropriate to the masses"

Like I'm feeling like this:

While also simultaneously feeling like this:

I'm still gonna watch it, as aside from the terrible censorship, the other aspects of the anime seem to be good.
Jul 12, 2:50 PM
Apr 2017
As mentioned in the first anime chapter of the manga, the point of an anime adaption can be to appeal to a wider audience. The existence of an anime can be a gateway to reading the manga. Cause look at all you people commenting and comparing about censorship, and then look at the sparse manga chapter threads. If more people who complain the censorship actual read and comment the manga, you got yourself a robust community. For many anime onlies this is good or even nice that it is within their tolerance zones. Too many simply dismiss this series as a plain ecchi ripoff of dress up darling, and ultimately they take on two different views of the same cosplay field.

But there’s a reason the Japanese basically skimmed over episode 1-7 and literally recapped that twice. 8-9 are the Nagomi chapters, and if this anime adaption has one thing going for it, it’s that as an anime it can really deliver those moments. All I want is for more people to talk about the manga with. And as it turns out, the Japanese fan base is easier to talk to then the ones over here.
Jul 12, 3:00 PM
Dec 2018
DoctorWasabi said:
While someone else was mentioned it: I do think this premise is both tragic and funny. I'm pretty deep into the manga now, and it's obviously evident one of its core themes is that women can like and express their love for sexy and lewd things. Despite the general consensus that girls shouldn't be into that, it's a theme that fight against those cultural norms, and that freedom of expression can flourish. Meanwhile the anime LITERALLY says fuck that message, we are censoring anything that is considered sexy, because it's not "appropriate to the masses"

I'm still gonna watch it, as aside from the terrible censorship, the other aspects of the anime seem to be good.

As I don't know about the manga and I watch it because a friend told me it will be a nice comedy I'm actually pretty interested in what you said here. Does it actually have some kind of depth ? Or the whole "fight against the norms" is just an excuse of the author to put many girls half naked?
I mean will there be some kind of developpement of the characters towards an acceptance and conflicts with their parents and friends?
Jul 12, 3:09 PM

Jan 2013
@DoctorWasabi

"While someone else was mentioned it: I do think this premise is both tragic and funny. I'm pretty deep into the manga now, and it's obviously evident one of its core themes is that women can like and express their love for sexy and lewd things. Despite the general consensus that girls shouldn't be into that, it's a theme that fight against those cultural norms, and that freedom of expression can flourish. Meanwhile the anime LITERALLY says fuck that message, we are censoring anything that is considered sexy, because it's not "appropriate to the masses"

I guess it depends on what type of censorship we're looking at for the cosplay outfits, but in general I don't think it's that deep. There's been plenty of censored ecchi adaptations, it's not specifically about what is "appropriate" more so than what audience the creators want to target. Of course, I'm not saying that it isn't a slap in the face to fans/supporters of the manga, because it absolutely is.
LostSpectreJul 12, 3:12 PM
Jul 12, 3:15 PM

Jan 2014
Reply to DragyG
DoctorWasabi said:

As I don't know about the manga and I watch it because a friend told me it will be a nice comedy I'm actually pretty interested in what you said here. Does it actually have some kind of depth ? Or the whole "fight against the norms" is just an excuse of the author to put many girls half naked?
I mean will there be some kind of developpement of the characters towards an acceptance and conflicts with their parents and friends?
@DragyG

The manga most definitely has depth put into it, and the displays of eroticism is very relevant to the overall story. I've lost count how many times I've seen panels where it's just a HUGE wall of text explaining the nuances and intricacies of the making of the costume, and it's connection to erotic media.
Jul 12, 3:29 PM
Dec 2018
DoctorWasabi said:
@DragyG

The manga most definitely has depth put into it, and the displays of eroticism is very relevant to the overall story. I've lost count how many times I've seen panels where it's just a HUGE wall of text explaining the nuances and intricacies of the making of the costume, and it's connection to erotic media.

Ho I will be looking forward to that too then
Jul 12, 4:00 PM

Jul 2017
Generally not a fan of a lot of censorship in general so it is what it is. Doesn't really bother me much in this instance but it is watered down in some ways for sure. Not too much of a manga fan of this so the anime isn't necessarily magically great for me or much worse because of this.
Jul 12, 6:16 PM

Sep 2016
Thank you Kishida for the censorship!
Wow I love watching ecchi series that censor its ecchi scenes!!! says no one ever.
dropped and gave it 1 rating as a statement.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 12, 7:02 PM

Sep 2021
Reply to LostSpectre
@smoltulip

First off, I enjoyed reading your comment, and you're more than welcome to comment here, and you don't really have to censor yourself at all if it's relevant to the discussion. I'm a guy, but I'm very sex-positive/non-judgmental, so I really appreciate stories with sexually empowered female characters, even if they double as shameless fanservice lol. Second, unfortunately, there's almost zero chance of an uncensored BD release. Today any uncensored ecchi anime can air alongside the "light beam" version thanks to networks that air adult content, if that is what the creators wish to do. The scenes in the anime as they currently are aren't just "censored", they're completely altered to obscure erotic content out of frame, so they would have to redraw a whole bunch of scenes, and it just wouldn't be realistic or make sense given the direction they've chosen to go in.

I almost didn't comment in the first place, and then I realized I actually really wanted to say something about this, so I'm glad to hear that!

Thank you for explaining about the censorship/Blu-ray release potential. I didn't know how it worked, but I can see what you mean now. It's a shame, but I guess this is just what we're stuck with.

✧✧✧✧✧✧

Jul 12, 7:04 PM
Jun 2020
Shueisha strikes again!
Jul 12, 8:37 PM
Sep 2020
truely an L moment
Jul 12, 9:48 PM
Oct 2020
It's less the studio's fault more the producers I feel like, cause knowing jc staff, they prolly would have done it uncensored, the producers most likely made them make it censored

Also do we have any comment from the author what they feel like about it being censored like this?
Jul 12, 9:55 PM
Jun 2014
Reply to smoltulip
I'm a woman (and a relatively new ecchi fan) lol, but hopefully I can still speak on this.

Personally, I was drawn to 2.5-jigen no Ririsa for the cosplay premise, and I ended up loving those extremely detailed cosplay-focused panels, and also, yeah, that the manga is just filled with ecchi. I actually think it's a really important parallel to Ririsa's character, and how she hid her interests in ecchi because she was so worried about being judged for them. I hugely relate to that, and I'm still working through a lot of that myself (that's a long story that doesn't relate to this, though). But part of what made 2.5-jigen no Ririsa so impactful for me was being able to admit that I like it for both the cosplay AND the ecchi, which is like, very important, and I'd argue that it's actually the point of the manga to begin with. Like, just like the characters that Ririsa cosplays, characters can be cute and sexy and badass and hot all at the same time, and it's likewise okay for the manga to be the same, and have all of these different kinds of moments (with tons of ecchi and fanservice) in it, too.

Like... the fanservice is amazing, and it's also plot-relevant. So seeing something sanitized and censored like this actually annoys the hell out of me. Idk how much I have to censor myself here on the forums, but... literally I love the cosplays in the manga because of the visible underboob and the pantyshots and just how hot they are. And I love Ririsa's character because of how much she learns to value herself as a cosplayer, and how she realizes that a) she is in fact really hot and attractive exactly the way she is, and b) that her love of characters that just happen to be from ecchi anime and manga, is nothing to be ashamed of. Like even the manga page you showed: It really does represent fanservice shots that I've seen in ecchi shonen manga, like that's the whole point; and the anime just doesn't do it justice. It's just sadly ironic to me that a manga that starts out examining shame for your interests is... censoring those interests in its anime adaption.

I'm rambling a lot, but idk. This was the manga that led me down a rabbit hole of really good ecchi/18+ visual novels with really amazing heroines that I adore... so I have a lot of feelings about this haha. And like, yeah, I know this was probably done to make money (like they'll probably have uncensored Blu-rays later or whatever), but it's still very frustrating. Hopefully you don't mind a woman's perspective on this~

And also like???? Manga Lilliel and Manga Ririsa cosplaying her are just absolutely 1000% superior, that design is so hot and cute and iconic and it's missing so much of the fanservice that made me love it in the manga...
I'm praying for uncensored blu-rays at this point.
Otherwise the adaption is great, but it's literally missing a huge important part of the manga's identity, is basically how I feel.
@smoltulip There's a lot of coomers and gooners who get upset at not seeing children(Ririsa and Mikari are 15 years old) either mostly naked or in sexually compromising situations when a very raunchy manga is turned into an anime. Do with that what you will, I'm here to supply the explanation for why the ecchi was toned down so much and how this is completely normal for both the industry and the studio.

Starting with the obvious; Tv broadcasting standards. They don't change often but when they do they get more restrictive, not less. Sometimes a studio will opt for an approach that works with animation layers like Lerche did with Everyday Life with Monster Girls in 2015 and Staple did with Wedding Ring Story in the winter season of this year(Jan-Mar 2024). There it's simply turning off the "Nipples" layer and publishing the TV edit then having the original version with "Nipples" turned back on. Pretty simple. But with 2.5D Seduction the problem isn't just whether or not the company will fall afoul of Japanese Penal Code 175(The Obscenity law) but to bring the series to a wider market. By changing the scenes just enough the studio and publisher can secure better timeslots for airing the the anime which translates into more or better advertising dollars. Gotta remember the studio still has to make money and the more niche a product is, the less money it'll make.

Now for J.C.Staff; in 2019 JC bought the studio Xebec, this is important for 2.5D Seduction because those animators from Xebec don't just vanish, they get new assignments from their now boss. And if you look at the filmography of Xebec you'll find Ken Akamatsu's works Love Hina and Magic Sensei Negima as well as Yuuna of Yuragi Manor, To Love-Ru, Keijo, Maken-Ki, Ladies Vs Butlers, Kanokon and all the way back to 1995 with Sorcerer Hunters. Xebec didn't only make ecchi series but for the ecchis they did make are consistently of this level of fanservice. Which is really saying something because of the flagrant nudity of Akamatsu's works with Negima's cast being mostly under the age of 14.

30 years of ecchi series, consistant fanservice standards from companies with decades of market success. 2.5D Seduction is almost paint by numbers with how standard the ecchi scenes play out. And to be honest, I'm glad the show focuses more on the cosplay hobby then getting teenage girls in risky positions. Also it bares saying that with the manga chapters of 128 and 165, Yuu Hashimoto, the series creator, seems pretty happy with how the anime turned out.
Jul 12, 10:00 PM

Jul 2020
oh wow it for real is pg13. I thought this shit was kodomomuke
Jul 12, 10:02 PM
Dec 2022
I knew it wasn't gonna be as it was in the manga and I honestly don't mind. They legit have good reasons for that. I absolutely love love love the manga and now that the anime is airing, I'm gonna see it through. The fan service is just ok with me.
Jul 13, 12:47 AM
Jun 2023
Jc staff did NOT cook this time 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
Jul 13, 2:19 AM

Feb 2017
I don't know what to say... i will just comparing.
pg13, not ecchi, fine with the airing, currently airing, they even show the chara in 3D space in japan....
-
-
Jul 13, 2:36 AM
Sep 2010
Reply to NB_Tenchy
@smoltulip There's a lot of coomers and gooners who get upset at not seeing children(Ririsa and Mikari are 15 years old) either mostly naked or in sexually compromising situations when a very raunchy manga is turned into an anime. Do with that what you will, I'm here to supply the explanation for why the ecchi was toned down so much and how this is completely normal for both the industry and the studio.

Starting with the obvious; Tv broadcasting standards. They don't change often but when they do they get more restrictive, not less. Sometimes a studio will opt for an approach that works with animation layers like Lerche did with Everyday Life with Monster Girls in 2015 and Staple did with Wedding Ring Story in the winter season of this year(Jan-Mar 2024). There it's simply turning off the "Nipples" layer and publishing the TV edit then having the original version with "Nipples" turned back on. Pretty simple. But with 2.5D Seduction the problem isn't just whether or not the company will fall afoul of Japanese Penal Code 175(The Obscenity law) but to bring the series to a wider market. By changing the scenes just enough the studio and publisher can secure better timeslots for airing the the anime which translates into more or better advertising dollars. Gotta remember the studio still has to make money and the more niche a product is, the less money it'll make.

Now for J.C.Staff; in 2019 JC bought the studio Xebec, this is important for 2.5D Seduction because those animators from Xebec don't just vanish, they get new assignments from their now boss. And if you look at the filmography of Xebec you'll find Ken Akamatsu's works Love Hina and Magic Sensei Negima as well as Yuuna of Yuragi Manor, To Love-Ru, Keijo, Maken-Ki, Ladies Vs Butlers, Kanokon and all the way back to 1995 with Sorcerer Hunters. Xebec didn't only make ecchi series but for the ecchis they did make are consistently of this level of fanservice. Which is really saying something because of the flagrant nudity of Akamatsu's works with Negima's cast being mostly under the age of 14.

30 years of ecchi series, consistant fanservice standards from companies with decades of market success. 2.5D Seduction is almost paint by numbers with how standard the ecchi scenes play out. And to be honest, I'm glad the show focuses more on the cosplay hobby then getting teenage girls in risky positions. Also it bares saying that with the manga chapters of 128 and 165, Yuu Hashimoto, the series creator, seems pretty happy with how the anime turned out.
@NB_Tenchy Ah yes yet another L take about coomers when people are complaining about censorship. It's an adaptation of ecchi manga and people are expecting adaptation to be ecchi as well. And when in reality it turned out to be heavily censored people have all their rights to complain about this.

And when we are talking about wider market and sales just look at huge success of Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete. No censorship, rating R+ and yet big sales in every possible way. Manga, blu-ray, merch, you name it. All because people got what they wanted and expected and even more.

And lastly, who in the world is giving a shit about age of fictional characters?
Jul 13, 5:52 AM
Sep 2021
I don’t care personally. I like the story and the characters and whether or not I see any nips or panties has no effect on that.
Jul 13, 8:43 AM
Jan 2018
There’s many reasons why there’s censorship and the main one is probably the TV network channel the show airs on, depending on the network they have to follow airing rules, so the anime was made with that in mind which is probably why pretty much every ecchi scene was removed or altered.
Jul 13, 9:07 AM
Jun 2014
Reply to Sunlighthell
@NB_Tenchy Ah yes yet another L take about coomers when people are complaining about censorship. It's an adaptation of ecchi manga and people are expecting adaptation to be ecchi as well. And when in reality it turned out to be heavily censored people have all their rights to complain about this.

And when we are talking about wider market and sales just look at huge success of Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete. No censorship, rating R+ and yet big sales in every possible way. Manga, blu-ray, merch, you name it. All because people got what they wanted and expected and even more.

And lastly, who in the world is giving a shit about age of fictional characters?
@Sunlighthell
"Ah yes yet another L take about coomers when people are complaining about censorship."
It's not censorship. It's a deliberate design choice made by an approved party. You don't even know what censorship actually looks like, especially not the Japanese style of censorship. All other arguments about the manga fanservice levels are moot.

"Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete."
An irrelevant comparison. As you're probably not aware, seeing your complete lack of rational thought, Asahi Productions is not J.C.Staff. Different studios means different standards and different target audiences. Do you not like how toned down the fanservice is? Well that sucks for you since this series wasn't made with you in mind. Go back to watching your porn.

"And lastly, who in the world is giving a shit about age of fictional characters?"
So you're choosing to defend the sexualization of children?
Jul 13, 9:34 AM

Sep 2016
The answer to "Do you want more ecchi?" should always be yes.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 13, 11:28 AM
Sep 2010
Reply to NB_Tenchy
@Sunlighthell
"Ah yes yet another L take about coomers when people are complaining about censorship."
It's not censorship. It's a deliberate design choice made by an approved party. You don't even know what censorship actually looks like, especially not the Japanese style of censorship. All other arguments about the manga fanservice levels are moot.

An irrelevant comparison. As you're probably not aware, seeing your complete lack of rational thought, Asahi Productions is not J.C.Staff. Different studios means different standards and different target audiences. Do you not like how toned down the fanservice is? Well that sucks for you since this series wasn't made with you in mind. Go back to watching your porn.

"And lastly, who in the world is giving a shit about age of fictional characters?"
@NB_Tenchy Dude I live in a country with heavy censorship and I know very well how to recognize it because it's matter of freedom. And this was an act of self-censorship from studio side no matter what reasons they had.

Absolutely relevant comparison and target audience is the same. Or are you gonna tell me that different shounens from different studios are for different audience too? Plus this funny take about me being not their target audience. So all manga readers as well then? And what about reverse situation? Let's say people liked how toned down fanservice and decided to read manga after. Won't they be grossed out because of how obscene scenes there?

And of course I am strongly against of sexualization of children. Thankfully anime don't have actual children so it is completely safe.
Jul 13, 12:17 PM

Sep 2021
Reply to NB_Tenchy

NB_Tenchy said:

I'm... um, not sure why in your very first sentence you had to bring up coomers and gooners and immediately went to calling the characters children, but okay.

Let me start by saying, arguing on the internet really isn't my thing. I'm generally not an argumentative person, and particularly these days, I'm seriously way too tired for it. So forgive me if this is the only thing I say and I don't respond to your (likely) future counterargument. It's genuinely just because I'm too tired and with my energy levels as of late, it's simply not worth the effort. Before I get into all of this, genuinely, thank you for the lesson on TV broadcasting standards. I genuinely wasn't aware of a lot of that, and it was interesting.

But I just want to say that this argument of yours, about the "sexualization of children" is just... I see it everywhere, and it infuriates me to end, the people who can't separate fiction from reality. This is why Mushoku Tensei gets a bad rap when it's literally one of the most influential works of all time, this is why we can't have a frank conversation about Ojou to Banken-kun's adaption, talking about the strengths of the manga in comparison to Project No. 9's shoddy adaption, this is why so many discsussions that could otherwise be nuanced and varied and conducive, quickly devolve into this strange tired argument of "your opinion is irrelevant because, uhhh, look at the children being sexualized!!". Like honestly, how exhuasting it must be for these people, when half the anime on my favorites list, features children being sexualized in some way. Fate stay/night: Unlimited Blade Works? Rin Tohsaka, one of my favorite characters of all time, is sexualized. Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2? Sylphie and Eris are sexualized. Hibike Euphonium 2? Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai? Oniichan wa Oshimai? I could find more and more examples, but all I'm saying is that 2.5-Jigen no Ririsa wasn't the first to do so, and it won't be the last. I mean, even Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata features sexualization of its characters, and that's on your favorites' list. The ecchi/18+ visual novels that I mentioned in my post, all feature the sexaulization of, what would be in your opinion - "literal children". I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong or whatever, I'm not here to make that argument. But I'm just here to point out how it's so hard to have actual discussions about these issues, because people are so busy being unable to separate fiction from reality. I mean, this is why girls like me struggle with talking about sexuality and sexual things in general, because of the mindset that your argument perpetuates. (I'm not saying that your argument is 100% related, but that this mindset of sexualization and being unable to separate fiction from reality, actually makes talking about sexuality for us, really difficult.) I didn't want to get into it here, but you brought it up: The reason why it took me so long to properly enjoy ecchi like Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete, and some of my favorite visual novels of all time, was because of voices like yours in the back of my head. So I have a personal stake in this, absolutely.

Ririsa's feelings of being ashamed for her interests in ecchi aren't as far-fetched and made up as some people like to think. So many girls like ecchi in their anime and manga; a few weeks ago, I had an awesome conversation with my best friend about an 18+ visual novel that she wanted to bring up to me, but she was genuinely afraid to do so because she thought I'd judge her for it. And I'm sure it's the same for so many of us, that we do actually like this stuff, that it's not just for men, or coomers and gooners, but people who just happen to like ecchi! For another example, a massive amount of women play Nikke: Goddess of Victory, the CEO of Manjuu (behind Azur Lane) is a woman, and their are countless women mangakas working with ecchi manga, busy "sexualizing children", as it were.

I just don't understand why, when I bring up my annoyances with censorship (and lets call it what it is, censorship - if you look it up in the dictionary you will see that it applies here), there has to be someone bringing up this tired argument. My point was not about the ages of Ririsa and Mikari, I'm quite aware that they're listed as 15 years old. My point was that for me, personally, this censorship frustrates me as a person who saw a lot of herself in Ririsa's character, and found the presence and specific nature of the sexual content of 2.5-Jigen no Ririsa's manga, relevant to her own feelings and Ririsa's character. This censorship frustrates me as someone who was able to enjoy reading 2.5-Jigen no Ririsa as an ecchi manga, for the first time. That's literally all I was saying. I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring up coomers, but again, okay. And again, my feelings and opinion stand regardless of the opinion of the series' creator. Which, you know, I'm glad that Hashimoto seems pleased with how the anime turned out, but that's not relevant to what I said - as we're talking about my feelings, not theirs.

And for some reason, your reply makes me feel like my disappointment about the censorship is invalid, and I don't appreciate that. If I, or anyone is else is upset about censorship, you don't get to simply dismiss their argument as the rambling of a coomer or gooner. That's just not fair. As @Sunlighthell said, people have all their rights to complain about this.

Them mentioning Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete is relevant regardless of the difference in studios, regardless of the difference in target audience. You know the point they were trying to make, even I can understand it - they were just trying to compare two different forms of censorship and how they were handled between the TV broadcast and Blu-ray release, but you're just deciding to be nitpicky to throw away their argument. That's insulting.

You couldn't just let me be frustrated without bringing up a whole moral grandstanding argument, could you? I'm allowed to be upset about this. And as I've been struggling to learn, it is okay for anime and manga to have lots of fanservice and to still be respected and adored as a quality work of art in spite of it, or even because of it. It's this attitude that makes having these conversations so frustrating, that perpetuates the mentality that (I'm not saying you're specifically saying so here) something has less value because it has fanservice. And frankly, since you're bringing it up, no one is defending the sexualization of children. But we are defending our rights to complain about censorship, especially when they might affect how a piece of media is viewed and understood.

Thank goodness I've learned how to separate fiction from reality. As I mentioned before, it must be really exhausting to watch anime or read manga without being able to do so.

✧✧✧✧✧✧

Jul 13, 12:18 PM
Jun 2014
Reply to Sunlighthell
@NB_Tenchy Dude I live in a country with heavy censorship and I know very well how to recognize it because it's matter of freedom. And this was an act of self-censorship from studio side no matter what reasons they had.

Absolutely relevant comparison and target audience is the same. Or are you gonna tell me that different shounens from different studios are for different audience too? Plus this funny take about me being not their target audience. So all manga readers as well then? And what about reverse situation? Let's say people liked how toned down fanservice and decided to read manga after. Won't they be grossed out because of how obscene scenes there?

And of course I am strongly against of sexualization of children. Thankfully anime don't have actual children so it is completely safe.
@Sunlighthell [sarcasm] Right because you, a random on the internet, clearly know more about censorship than Japanese companies in Japan making Japanese stories within the bounds of Japanese law, Japanese TV broadcasting standards and Japanese media culture for Japanese audiences. Clearly. [/sarcasm]

Your country of residence is irrelevant if it's any country other than Japan. And because you clearly need the help I'll explain why; Your countries laws and cultural standards mean nothing in Japan. And no it's not an act of "self-censorship" because that would require a level of social pressure that only exists in woke western countries. Considering the flagrant and constant nudity of not the the manga version of the series but many MANY other series that go even further with the sexual content, if "self-censorship" was even a factor then it would have happened to the author first. Remember the Uzaki-chan blood drive incident? That was self-censorship and it was driven entirely by social pressure outside of Japan. You seem incapable of telling the difference between that, let alone any actual form of censorship, and taking that at it's most charitable it's because you're simply ignorant of what censorship actually is.

Your comparison remains irrelevant because the target audience is different. One show is catering the cosplay audience and the other is catering to a completely separate audience of degeneracy that skirts the line if illegality by getting as close as it can to being softcore porn without actually crossing over into being pornographic. Completely. Separate. Audiences. And again since you seem to need the help; Do you know what the target audience for a manga is? People who read manga. This isn't new information. The intended audience between anime and manga is so wildly different that between the late 90s and the early 2010s anime itself was still viewed as marketing for the manga like it's a promotional product. It wasn't until those early 2010s hit when anime began to shift away from being advertising+ to being it's own artistic work.

"Let's say people liked how toned down fanservice and decided to read manga after. Won't they be grossed out because of how obscene scenes there?"
Some will be. That means the manga isn't for them and they should read something else. It doesn't subtract from or diminish either the anime or the manga.

"And of course I am strongly against of sexualization of children. Thankfully anime don't have actual children so it is completely safe."
Define actual children.

And to put a metaphorical brick in your mouth on the quality of the anime; Yuu Hashimoto, the creator of the series, spent all of chapter 165 of the manga praising how well the anime came out. If the creator of the series is happy with the product J.C.Staff made; what right do you have to complain about it?
Jul 13, 1:22 PM
Jun 2023
Knowing J.C. Staff

It's probably them cutting corners since they make 6-15 TV anime productions a year.
Jul 13, 1:29 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to NB_Tenchy
@Sunlighthell

@NB_Tenchy Yep. I'm happy to sexualize children that are literal pixels with faux ages, stop moral grandstanding over cartoons.
Jul 13, 1:35 PM

Jan 2013
@smoltulip Sorry, I don't really have much of anything to add, other than... BASED.
Jul 13, 7:21 PM

Sep 2016
What I don't understand is not the censorship per se, but the fact they actively seek shows like this just to ruin them by adapting them like this.

It's full of watered down 'ecchi' manga out there, adapt these instead so you can be faithful as a bonus.

Ecchi is pretty much dead in 2024 anyway, outside of some borderline hentai or actual hentai, it's a butchering show russian roulette..
bruh
Jul 13, 8:17 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to GangsterCat
Thank you Kishida for the censorship!
Wow I love watching ecchi series that censor its ecchi scenes!!! says no one ever.
dropped and gave it 1 rating as a statement.
@GangsterCat why do I keep hearing the schizo ramblings about Kishida and censorship? It's not the first time nor the first place I see them and they are equally stupid every time because it has no basis.
Jul 13, 8:19 PM

Jan 2021
I think JC Staff should have taken the Vtuber anime and TNK this one, it wouldn't be too different for the Vtuber anime but this one would have obviously been better if made by an studio with tons of experience doing uncensored ecchi.
Jul 13, 9:00 PM
Apr 2017
Reply to Ionliosite2
I think JC Staff should have taken the Vtuber anime and TNK this one, it wouldn't be too different for the Vtuber anime but this one would have obviously been better if made by an studio with tons of experience doing uncensored ecchi.
@Ionliosite2 But do they have what it takes to adapt the parts of the manga that aren't this level of ecchi? Can they handle the cosplay battles that are to come? Because I think quite a few people are overestimating how much ecchi is actually gonna be in the portions of the manga this is covering.
Jul 13, 9:22 PM

Apr 2020
I'm going to say this again. The early stronger ecci elements, such as the actual nude scenes, were pretty much just a quick way to build an audience at the beginning.
Every sign of the manga points at this, from the ecchi gradually getting toned down as the manga went on, the arcs focusing on ways to develop a character through cosplay, to the raunchier scenes being later relegated to extra chapters, rather than being part of the main story. The ecchi's still there, but it became a bonus.
Now that was the manga. Where the release schedule alone won't make you notice the shift in tone unless you binge it.

But an anime is different. It adapts multiple chapters per episode, so if they were to adapt the manga as is, the shift would be sudden and egregious.
They have to commit to a style and so, as a studio they simply chose both the one that made the most sense financially and what was ultimately the tone of the manga later.

Really, I see this choice as no different to, for example, Bleach using character designs more reminiscent of the manga's mid period volumes or the anime toning down the comedy during the main story and putting a lot more of it in the omakes. People are just bitching too much about not getting animated nipples.

And no, before some nincompoop decides to bitch to me some nonsense about being a prude or pro censorship, I'll just give a reminder that my lists are public.
Jul 14, 1:18 AM
Jun 2023
I know right i was hoping it doesn't get over censored to the point it really isn't the same anymore
Jul 14, 2:57 AM
Jan 2016
Reply to NB_Tenchy
@Sunlighthell

@NB_Tenchy I guess going by your logic, the author should be in jail for drawing a minor with her bare tits out and putting her in suggestive sexual poses in the first few chapters. Might as well throw in his editor, the publisher, and everyone involved in bringing this manga to market. Oh, and why not everyone else who are in the process of selling merch like figures etc?

If this anime isn't made for us, then who is it for? For kids? Why do you watch a show that sexualizes children? Are you recommending this to kids of under 13? Are these sexualized children in the room with us now?
@NB_Tenchy
NB_Tenchy said:
And of course I am strongly against of sexualization of children. Thankfully anime don't have actual children so it is completely safe."
Define actual children.

Studies show that if you're a person who is incapable of separating fiction from reality, then you might have a mental disorder, like Schizophrenia

Define Schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is characterized by thoughts or experiences that seem out of touch with reality, disorganized speech or behavior, and decreased participation in daily activities. Difficulty with concentration and memory may also be present.

hey @NB_Tenchy, you might need to see a psychiatrist, or get admitted.
EuphyliaJul 14, 3:17 AM
Jul 14, 5:30 AM
Nov 2022
Looks like JC Staff bent the knee in order to cater to this so-called "modern audience" which these Japanese companies have been so weirdly obsessed with lately.
Jul 14, 6:07 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to smoltulip
NB_Tenchy said:

I'm... um, not sure why in your very first sentence you had to bring up coomers and gooners and immediately went to calling the characters children, but okay.

Let me start by saying, arguing on the internet really isn't my thing. I'm generally not an argumentative person, and particularly these days, I'm seriously way too tired for it. So forgive me if this is the only thing I say and I don't respond to your (likely) future counterargument. It's genuinely just because I'm too tired and with my energy levels as of late, it's simply not worth the effort. Before I get into all of this, genuinely, thank you for the lesson on TV broadcasting standards. I genuinely wasn't aware of a lot of that, and it was interesting.

But I just want to say that this argument of yours, about the "sexualization of children" is just... I see it everywhere, and it infuriates me to end, the people who can't separate fiction from reality. This is why Mushoku Tensei gets a bad rap when it's literally one of the most influential works of all time, this is why we can't have a frank conversation about Ojou to Banken-kun's adaption, talking about the strengths of the manga in comparison to Project No. 9's shoddy adaption, this is why so many discsussions that could otherwise be nuanced and varied and conducive, quickly devolve into this strange tired argument of "your opinion is irrelevant because, uhhh, look at the children being sexualized!!". Like honestly, how exhuasting it must be for these people, when half the anime on my favorites list, features children being sexualized in some way. Fate stay/night: Unlimited Blade Works? Rin Tohsaka, one of my favorite characters of all time, is sexualized. Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2? Sylphie and Eris are sexualized. Hibike Euphonium 2? Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai? Oniichan wa Oshimai? I could find more and more examples, but all I'm saying is that 2.5-Jigen no Ririsa wasn't the first to do so, and it won't be the last. I mean, even Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata features sexualization of its characters, and that's on your favorites' list. The ecchi/18+ visual novels that I mentioned in my post, all feature the sexaulization of, what would be in your opinion - "literal children". I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong or whatever, I'm not here to make that argument. But I'm just here to point out how it's so hard to have actual discussions about these issues, because people are so busy being unable to separate fiction from reality. I mean, this is why girls like me struggle with talking about sexuality and sexual things in general, because of the mindset that your argument perpetuates. (I'm not saying that your argument is 100% related, but that this mindset of sexualization and being unable to separate fiction from reality, actually makes talking about sexuality for us, really difficult.) I didn't want to get into it here, but you brought it up: The reason why it took me so long to properly enjoy ecchi like Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete, and some of my favorite visual novels of all time, was because of voices like yours in the back of my head. So I have a personal stake in this, absolutely.

Ririsa's feelings of being ashamed for her interests in ecchi aren't as far-fetched and made up as some people like to think. So many girls like ecchi in their anime and manga; a few weeks ago, I had an awesome conversation with my best friend about an 18+ visual novel that she wanted to bring up to me, but she was genuinely afraid to do so because she thought I'd judge her for it. And I'm sure it's the same for so many of us, that we do actually like this stuff, that it's not just for men, or coomers and gooners, but people who just happen to like ecchi! For another example, a massive amount of women play Nikke: Goddess of Victory, the CEO of Manjuu (behind Azur Lane) is a woman, and their are countless women mangakas working with ecchi manga, busy "sexualizing children", as it were.

I just don't understand why, when I bring up my annoyances with censorship (and lets call it what it is, censorship - if you look it up in the dictionary you will see that it applies here), there has to be someone bringing up this tired argument. My point was not about the ages of Ririsa and Mikari, I'm quite aware that they're listed as 15 years old. My point was that for me, personally, this censorship frustrates me as a person who saw a lot of herself in Ririsa's character, and found the presence and specific nature of the sexual content of 2.5-Jigen no Ririsa's manga, relevant to her own feelings and Ririsa's character. This censorship frustrates me as someone who was able to enjoy reading 2.5-Jigen no Ririsa as an ecchi manga, for the first time. That's literally all I was saying. I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring up coomers, but again, okay. And again, my feelings and opinion stand regardless of the opinion of the series' creator. Which, you know, I'm glad that Hashimoto seems pleased with how the anime turned out, but that's not relevant to what I said - as we're talking about my feelings, not theirs.

And for some reason, your reply makes me feel like my disappointment about the censorship is invalid, and I don't appreciate that. If I, or anyone is else is upset about censorship, you don't get to simply dismiss their argument as the rambling of a coomer or gooner. That's just not fair. As @Sunlighthell said, people have all their rights to complain about this.

Them mentioning Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete is relevant regardless of the difference in studios, regardless of the difference in target audience. You know the point they were trying to make, even I can understand it - they were just trying to compare two different forms of censorship and how they were handled between the TV broadcast and Blu-ray release, but you're just deciding to be nitpicky to throw away their argument. That's insulting.

You couldn't just let me be frustrated without bringing up a whole moral grandstanding argument, could you? I'm allowed to be upset about this. And as I've been struggling to learn, it is okay for anime and manga to have lots of fanservice and to still be respected and adored as a quality work of art in spite of it, or even because of it. It's this attitude that makes having these conversations so frustrating, that perpetuates the mentality that (I'm not saying you're specifically saying so here) something has less value because it has fanservice. And frankly, since you're bringing it up, no one is defending the sexualization of children. But we are defending our rights to complain about censorship, especially when they might affect how a piece of media is viewed and understood.

Thank goodness I've learned how to separate fiction from reality. As I mentioned before, it must be really exhausting to watch anime or read manga without being able to do so.
@smoltulip THANK YOU SO MUCH for this. @NB_Tenchy is so insulting to ecchi fans just because we aren't happy with the censorship. Well, unfortunately, this isn't the first time, every season anytime we complain about an anime's censorship issues, a few people like him always comes up to virtue signal and defend the show's censorship like their life depends on it. I also find it so weird he keeps bringing up how the author, Hashimoto-sensei, is seemingly happy with the adaptation. I mean, good for him ig? But what does that have to do with our feelings? So if the author is happy with the anime adaptation, we the fans aren't allowed to be upset anymore? What kind of logic is this? It's exactly because of people like him that we keep getting so many censored and watered down anime adaptations every single season. I'm so tired of it.
Jul 14, 9:58 AM

Mar 2015
I haven't read the manga and probably not going to; for me the anime is fine as is, I gave it a shot for comedy, not for soft-porn. I can understand if manga readers are disappointed, but if it had more ecchi I personally might have liked it less
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jul 14, 3:56 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to NB_Tenchy

NB_Tenchy said:

I didn't notice this, but this never happened, JC Staff didn't buy Xebec, Xebec was bough by Sunrise and became Sunrise Beyond.
Jul 15, 8:21 AM

Aug 2022
Wait... manga is much more ecchi?

If yes then now this meme makes sense
1WanteD1Jul 15, 8:25 AM
Jul 15, 1:05 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to 1WanteD1
Wait... manga is much more ecchi?

If yes then now this meme makes sense
@1WanteD1 Yes, just like I put the manga scene on my discussion board. The author made the uncensored (like showing 'nips') and more ecchi scenes. But around 50 chapters that are uncensored, and the rest of the chapters (to the latest) are censored.
Jul 15, 1:25 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Menternor
I'm going to say this again. The early stronger ecci elements, such as the actual nude scenes, were pretty much just a quick way to build an audience at the beginning.
Every sign of the manga points at this, from the ecchi gradually getting toned down as the manga went on, the arcs focusing on ways to develop a character through cosplay, to the raunchier scenes being later relegated to extra chapters, rather than being part of the main story. The ecchi's still there, but it became a bonus.
Now that was the manga. Where the release schedule alone won't make you notice the shift in tone unless you binge it.

But an anime is different. It adapts multiple chapters per episode, so if they were to adapt the manga as is, the shift would be sudden and egregious.
They have to commit to a style and so, as a studio they simply chose both the one that made the most sense financially and what was ultimately the tone of the manga later.

Really, I see this choice as no different to, for example, Bleach using character designs more reminiscent of the manga's mid period volumes or the anime toning down the comedy during the main story and putting a lot more of it in the omakes. People are just bitching too much about not getting animated nipples.

And no, before some nincompoop decides to bitch to me some nonsense about being a prude or pro censorship, I'll just give a reminder that my lists are public.
@Menternor It would have been nice with nudity, but the real problem is that it's practically PG even by censored ecchi standards.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 2.5-jigen no Ririsa Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

34 by NirvashX1 »»
4 hours ago

» Mikari Fan Club

Deoxyribo9 - Jul 9

11 by Deoxyribo9 »»
5 hours ago

» IS THIS ADAPTATION FAITFUL TO MANGA?

NaughtySempai - Yesterday

15 by Deoxyribo9 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » 2.5-jigen no Ririsa Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19

65 by KingNotSkilled »»
Yesterday, 12:59 AM

Poll: » 2.5-jigen no Ririsa Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 12

88 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jul 24, 11:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.