Forum Settings
Forums

What anime did you find only okay but then after some episode became really hype?

New
Jul 7, 3:16 PM

Apr 2012
Hey,

just wondering what anime started out "only" as okay for you, but then some episode came and it turned the show into a whole different league. Basically, what anime started out as a 6/10 or 7/10, but then suddenly became a 9/10 or even 10/10 for you?

For me:

- Gintama (the famous episode 24/25 did it, before that it was an okay funny anime, but afterwards it became the funniest shit ever)
- Mahou Shojo Madoka Magika (episode 3. Everyone knows)

If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Jul 7, 5:00 PM

Sep 2016
Clannad after ~23 episodes.

SAO after ~50 episodes.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 7, 5:13 PM

Oct 2011
One Piece at first, it was okay but not good enough at first so I dropped it from 2007 until 2014 I picked it back up and gave it a further try. By the time I got past episode 30, I was addicted and binged the rest. It became one of my favourite anime of all time.

Yes, Gintama, too. It was really hit and miss for me. Didn't care for the potty humor, but the humor and even silly story and some serious arcs got better later. It didn't take until 100 episodes until Gintama grew on me.
Jul 7, 5:36 PM

May 2018
Highspeed Etoile
I find it somewhat interesting in episode 10 and getting better afterwards

Also, World Dai Star (I'm forgetting which episode makes me like the anime)
Kotomi & Nanami  Anna Mochizuki 
Jul 7, 6:02 PM

Dec 2021
The first half of Lupin III Part 1 is kinda meh, but the second half is better than nearly all the best episodes of Part 2 and Part 3.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 7, 6:08 PM
May 2023
Helck, I don't remember what episode but it was after they left the island-story picked up and things started getting really interesting
Daphne In the Brilliant Blue did it too-don't remember the episode though

I wouldn't say either one of these ever get to a 10 though
Jul 7, 6:22 PM

May 2018
devilman crybaby - I enjoyed it throughout but the ending made it better

kekkai sensen - kinda chaotic and confusing but as you get to know the characters and connect timelines it gets better

sarazanmai - I was just stunned by the pure wackiness for the first 2 ep and then I realized that it was kinda beautiful

can't yuck my yum

Jul 7, 6:30 PM
Oct 2013
I think Oblivion Battery, I dropped it after ep 2 ngl, but after I picked it up, it picked you up and never let go.
niknasrJul 7, 6:34 PM
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jul 7, 11:12 PM
Apr 2024
Gundam, don't get me wrong there are some great episodes in the first half but it became consistently great when Lalah first appeared
Guilmon1Jul 8, 12:57 AM
Jul 7, 11:32 PM

Feb 2018
Ascendance of a bookworm. Dunno why but after a few episodes I couldn't stop watching more. Finished all seasons with ova in about a week and started the LN right after.
Also maybe Higurashi no naku koro ni but it's hard to remember because it's a bit far in the past.
Jul 8, 12:00 AM

Jul 2021
tsugumomo. that shit is the most boring anime i had the displeasure of watching but boy the climax was just too hype. they even stopped right before (presumably) the most epic arc.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 8, 12:17 AM

Oct 2019
Undead unluck started pretty messy, but the more it went on, the more interesting it got. by the end of s1 I was actually really invested.

Another is jjk, unlike most, I think it had a horrible pilot, and it took a while to pick up. I honestly got properly sold on the show on the hidden inventory arc, before that I thought it was a really good 7/10 that I personally wasn't too invested in.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 8, 12:26 AM

Jun 2019
Ashita no Joe; S1 was a solid 7/10 although the pacing is a bit off and it's hard to get through. S2 with it's stunning direction, blues OST and impactful ending took it to a 10/10.

@TsutanaiFuun that ending to S2 of Tsugumomo was awesome, been hoping we get a S3 for a while. The show felt like a supernatural harem ecchi romcom for ages and then bam it suddenly gets serious
Jul 8, 12:32 AM

Dec 2021
Girls' Last Tour: At first I was in denial that it can even be better than 2017 Kino's Journey. But after few episodes in (around 5-8) I tend to like the aesthetics of this story and narrative more than I expected.

Aria the Animation: I think it was around episode 11 when I find it interesting because of a quote by Athena.

𝓢𝓪𝓴𝓾𝓻𝓪
𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓸𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸
Jul 8, 12:36 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to 23feanor
Ashita no Joe; S1 was a solid 7/10 although the pacing is a bit off and it's hard to get through. S2 with it's stunning direction, blues OST and impactful ending took it to a 10/10.

@TsutanaiFuun that ending to S2 of Tsugumomo was awesome, been hoping we get a S3 for a while. The show felt like a supernatural harem ecchi romcom for ages and then bam it suddenly gets serious
@23feanor yup that sudden change was really well done. the whole atmosphere changed as if the mc locked in ready to go with his training arc and everything. such a shame they aren't releasing s3. it been like 3 years since i finished season 2/

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 8, 1:41 AM

Mar 2023
I found Last Exile to be great after episode 13. Before that i found it to be just okay.
Jul 8, 2:44 AM

May 2019
Demon Slayer first season around episode 19.
Jul 8, 3:02 AM

Dec 2018
I would also say Ascendace of a Bookworm too. Initially it starts in a decidedly slow way and being an isekai, originality is not its strong point, but the work of world building and character characterization makes it appreciated even if it is not particularly action-packed. I started watching the anime and after the first season I had to continue reading the light novel. I'd say the turning point is halfway through the first arc.

Welcome to the ballroom also starts like the usual ultra-motivational sports anime where you know that the protagonist will win in the end, usually I can't go beyond the fourth or fifth episode, but I devoured this one. I don't know how they made something like ballroom dancing so interesting.
Jul 8, 4:03 AM

Jul 2017
A recent one I can think of is Dungeon Meshi. It went from a 7.5/10 funny anime about cooking dungeon monsters to what-da-fug plot development 9/10 banger.

Also shoutout to OPs signature. Fantastic Children is a gem. Rare to see anyone talk about it.
Jul 8, 5:05 AM

Dec 2022
M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane

It started off without much visible flare, but picked up tremendously once the impact of the Necrometal infections began to affect some of the characters.

Shaded Horizon

Jul 8, 5:11 AM

Jun 2020
The latest one I found was Kaijuu No.8, other than that maybe Link Click which has a pretty boring start but the latest season is goated (like, really).
Jul 8, 5:31 AM

Jan 2018
don't forget thread - what was anime you saw was hype at beginning but turned to shyte?

@deimos96 thanks deimos i guess i'll try it.

i could name one but this one hmm better not say it lol

i guess this question applies to every battle shounen that i've finished. it started out okay at every arc if not every arc and concludes with awesome fights.

dragon ball movie about the golden frieza or was it broly, plot was like whatever but the fight is action replay value or game shark or code breaker level of enjoyment.

there is this ghost anime made last year iirc, it started out like a boring drama but then it gets intense enough me cause watching night time without lights. definitely impressive cause usually it gets boring whenever they try to insert as many yokai as possible.
Jul 8, 10:53 AM

Feb 2022
Yosuga no Sora - Show started as 6-7 rating but after the sibling route, this became my 10.

Marmalade boy - I actually dropped this one after 2 episode because of art style but I picked it after 1 year and I am enjoyed it.

Black lagoon - stories in season 1 felt incomplete it was 7 at best buy season 2 was far better with story and characters.

Trigun

Tsugumomo - season 1 was inconsistent, some boring but season 2 was amazing. It had a lot more comedy and the ending was the surprise
[/url]
Jul 8, 4:51 PM

Apr 2012
Looked at my MAL list of completed anime and some more candidates:

- Monster (it was intriguing from the start, but then meanders a bit too much for the first dozen or so episodes, to the point where I dropped it the first two times. But then it becomes this much "bigger" story and at last when Steiner appears, the show becomes an exciting masterpiece all the way to its last episode)

- Shinsekai Yori (absolute hated the first couple episodes because of the frequent time skips, making it feel very disjuncted. But once that stops, you get familiar with certain ideas, and then ...stuff happens, it became a masterpiece and made me cry hard)

- Kuroko no Baske (honestly, the first couple seasons were all mediocre with some exciting scenes. But then came THE final season and suddenly EVERY episode was super hype and I remember my anime circle back then discussing each episode after it aired like we just watched a real sports event lol.)
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Jul 8, 5:16 PM

May 2024
Monster?
I was impressed with the time span development where there was actual progress, that sealed the deal for me
I'm new!
Jul 8, 5:39 PM

Aug 2021
One piece. It took me about 40-50 eps.
Clannad- 10 eps
Neon Genesis Evangelion - It became hype after finishing the series
Jul 8, 5:45 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to TipraTechnophile
One piece. It took me about 40-50 eps.
Clannad- 10 eps
Neon Genesis Evangelion - It became hype after finishing the series
@TipraTechnophile

Lol, come on, NGE? If you're not hyped when Shinji starts fighting the angel in episode 1, I don't know why you continued.

Clannad I somewhat agree, but for me it's: Clannad us a 7/10 romcom, it's cute, it's funny, but not a must-see. THEN comes "Clannad After". Oh man. Masterpiece that made me cry several times every episode.

One Piece, I'd say had me hooked the first time Mihawk appeared
Jul 8, 5:50 PM

Apr 2020
Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) after episode 5.

Season 1 of Jujutsu Kaisen is very boring. Jujutsu 0 and season 2 are very good.

Oshi no Ko after episode 7.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jul 8, 5:57 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to AcD4c

Season 1 of Jujutsu Kaisen is very boring. Jujutsu 0 and season 2 are very good.

Oshi no Ko after episode 7.
AcD4c said:

@AcD4c Man, I really gotta continue watching that. The 1991 anime was really good, but the 2020 anime seems to be a significantly more complete adaptation.

Favorite comedic moment from the 1991 adaptation
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 8, 6:13 PM
Feb 2020
None because I don’t have the attention span to wait through boring parts.
Jul 8, 6:19 PM

Sep 2022
Delicious in Dungeon. I found it a little boring at first until around episode 9 or 10, then I ended up loving it.
Jul 8, 7:23 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ivoza
None because I don’t have the attention span to wait through boring parts.
@ivoza

Sad zoomer reply. Delete tiktok from your smartphone.

More topics from this board

» Do you have real feelings toward your waifu?

Zakatsuki_ - Oct 2

20 by LittleOwlbear »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Girls Freezing Cold

ReitokoYuki - Yesterday

15 by Timeline_man »»
23 minutes ago

» I am so tired of 12 episode seasons ( 1 2 )

Ki11grave - Aug 20

74 by RioAl »»
28 minutes ago

» how do you support the anime industry?

deg - Oct 2

39 by DinoNo1 »»
1 hour ago

» why is it widely accepted that slanting a chinese character's eyes is racist but anime does it all the time? ( 1 2 )

karo86 - Yesterday

74 by paramita »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.