Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jun 24, 9:31 PM

Mar 2012
The funny thing is that most people didn't understand that Reina knew who she chose...

The people who say that they liked this development and that they like to see others hurt because of it... did not understand either.
It's not just a "solo", but a duet... and they should have emphasized that music is not only technical and that the feeling of both for playing together was felt in their instruments.

And if Kumiko becomes a teacher... it only confirms my theory that 80% of music teachers are frustrated musicians XD.
Jun 24, 9:34 PM
Nov 2023
ShySeishuro said:
The funny thing is that most people didn't understand that Reina knew who she chose...

The people who say that they liked this development and that they like to see others hurt because of it... did not understand either.
It's not just a "solo", but a duet... and they should have emphasized that music is not only technical and that the feeling of both for playing together was felt in their instruments.

And if Kumiko becomes a teacher... it only confirms my theory that 80% of music teachers are frustrated musicians XD.

true... when it's not a competition. technical is more important to get gold. they're not playing for a crowd, they're playing for judges.
Jun 24, 9:46 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to ShySeishuro

@ShySeishuro most people understand that Reina knew, it was literally explained in the episode. There was one or two comments that missed that.
Look, this whole open audition is made up story by KyoAni on top of original build-up. Any attempt to make sense out of it is just retcon.
Jun 24, 10:16 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to cu1923
The problem isn’t how they changed the ending, but how forced it feels.

First of all Kumiko and Mayu were supposed to be equal in ability, occasionally one is better than the other but in the end their plays do come out to be so close that Taki couldn’t decide and the votes literally tied before Reina. That is a fact.
Then why did Reina pick Mayu over Kumiko? According to Kumiko it’s because she let her hesitation show for a bit in her play. Yeah that makes sense because our Reina is always direct and unwavering in her belief that only the best should play, great characterization.

The problem is Kumiko’s hesitation.
The sources of her hesitation were three: first the concert band members, second her own future, third Mayu. The first problem was due to the executives decision to make auditions happen multiple times and the first years feeling pressured. This was resolved when Kumiko gave the speech at Kansai competition which reassured and united everyone. The second problem was Kumiko feeling conflicted about her future, similar to Mizore and Nozomi in Liz and the blue bird. This was resolved in the last episode where she realized that neither music nor herself is meant for each other, and brought it up to Reina. The third one was seen revealed in this episode, where Kumiko acknowledged that she feared losing to Mayu because Mayu is such a strong player. This was resolved when Mayu opened up for the first time and Kumiko apologizing for neglecting Mayu’s calls for help.

So why did Kumiko hesitate again? Well she shouldn’t! Because in the novel she had everything worked out right before the audition, there isn’t even a blind audition, she won the first one!
Originally, these three sources of anxiety were what caused Kumiko to lose the Kansai Soli, but in the span of 3 episodes we all witnessed her maturing and solving these problems one by one. It was self discovery, courageous face down, a step to conquer one’s biggest fears that was supposed to result in success but apparently didn't because after all these feelings and experience she’s still hesitating :,) if that isn’t forced plot I don’t know what is.

I’m not calling the plot change bad, in fact I really appreciated the bittersweet ending and think the anime’s production was no short of extraordinary. But if you’re altering the literal ending of an anime of this size, you gotta change things down the line to at least make it reasonable and fitting with the given premise.

For example, show more perspective on Mayu. Remember, they are equal in ability. If all we’ve been shown is Kumiko’s hard work and growth, how do you expect us to just accept that after all this improvement Kumiko is still worse? At least show some parts of Mayu’s personal growth so we know it’s a fair battle between two maturing individuals?

Also, if Kumiko still has unresolved problems, at least give some signs. In the Kansai audition, we can clearly see that the atmosphere at the club is extremely tense, Kumiko has reservations against Mayu, and Reina warned her that she’s been called out more by Taki. But for this? Heck Kumiko is the one to reach out and open up with Mayu, and you’re telling me she is actually feeling lost at heart still about not going to a music university?

Well, guess we will find out how well ep 12 fixes some of these plot holes.
cu1923 said:
So why did Kumiko hesitate again? Well she shouldn’t!

That's an interesting observation, I haven't thought of it like that.

I still think the story kind of makes sense, but maybe the anime could've done a better job selling it.

I'm not as confident as you that her "hesitation" was fully dealt with by the time of the audition.

Yes, Kumiko has decided not to pursue music at the highest level. But at the same time, she's aiming to perform the solo at the highest level. I don't see how any person can square these two things easily.

I think the "hesitation" was about whether she is the best player, who has what it takes to play next to Reina, "shoulder-to-shoulder," as she put it. She may have believed that before, that she could reach greater heights if she put her mind to it and worked at it. But this season she's been gradually realizing that's not the case, and that she doesn't even necessarily want that. She still had no intention of giving up and gave the audition her all, but that's not the same thing as believing that she is the best one to play the solo.

Even if she did believe that, I also want to point out that she's made her career decision only recently. It would take time to make peace with that and continue playing with the newfound perspective. She's in a very different headspace now, and it would have been strange if her playing sounded exactly the same as before, and as good as before.

I didn't get the impression that she's 100% committed to whatever career choice she made, anyway. I don't think many high-schoolers are (I definitely wasn't), and this is still Kumiko we're talking about. She's going with a vague gut feeling and kind of "fell into" the decision, and we didn't even see what exactly she wrote in the career form. She's taken the first steps to finding her own path, and that's wonderful, but it would be a stretch to say she's resolved everything and is feeling confident about it.

It is disappointing that Kumiko can't turn the page and make a clean start right away (like an anime character would, if you will), but this series has time and time again been interested in and sympathetic towards characters slowly struggling through their weird little hang-ups, while still mostly remaining who they are.
Jun 24, 10:35 PM

Mar 2012
Myetx said:
@ShySeishuro most people understand that Reina knew, it was literally explained in the episode. There was one or two comments that missed that.
Look, this whole open audition is made up story by KyoAni on top of original build-up. Any attempt to make sense out of it is just retcon.

I watched the series with two people, one of whom understood it and the other didn't...

And I don't think you understood my comment very well either because of your response, or I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.
I mean, don't see that it has anything to do with my comment...

@lycoping, for example, made a comment regarding one of my points in the post and it seems like a valid answer to me (I still have my opinion, but that's the eternal debate for music XD).
Jun 24, 11:53 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to lycoping
SUPER_CANNES said:
I think it's one hell of an achievement for a story to invite such discussion, where both sides can have equally valid viewpoints.

Absolutely. But while I understand people having an emotional reaction and being upset, I am a little disappointed in how people call it "garbage" , etc.

Look, I have my criticisms. One of my biggest is that the pacing of this season is all off. The could have doubled the number of episodes, and it would have been much more in line with what we'd expect out of KyoAni. I also don't really like how they basically shoved the plot around to get where they wanted and went for maximum drama, even when it actually kind of took you out of the story a bit. I don't think it's perfect.

But "garbage" is really harsh. There's a reason this anime is really loved, and a reason why it causes such an intense emotional reaction, and that's because it really is a good story and a good anime. They made characters that you grow to respect, admire, and even in some ways love. You're invested in them so much that when they're "screwed over" you can't help but have an emotional reaction. But that in itself makes it not garbage. That makes it awesome. And I wish at the very least people could pull back enough from their emotional reactions to see how much their emotional reaction itself belies the idea that it's "garbage".

Kumiko, Reina, etc., will always be in our hearts. And for fictional characters that have nothing to do with real life, well... that's why I love anime, even though there's so much out there that actually *is* garbage. Some that I just think is, and some that is pretty much, objectively, garbage. There's no way this qualifies as that.
@lycoping Yeah, I understand. I was not referring to the more extreme views, because calling this story garbage is a knee jerk reaction to the MC failing to win.

I was mainly thinking of those who found Reina’s choice forced, as she was the tie breaker in the end. I understand why they may feel upset, and why they may see Kumiko failing to play the solo with her friend a huge missed opportunity. I think those people were clamoring for a more traditional hero’s journey type story.

Hell, I was rooting for Mayu, I’ve been a fan of her ever since she was introduced. Fascinating character. But I did not consider how profound an impact this would have on Kumiko, which made the Mt Daikichi scene so much more touching. It broke me like very few scenes in media ever could. I just think of how her voice cracks because she can’t keep bottling up those emotions anymore, and I get so, so sad. Why did I not want her to win? Why was I ever thinking about that? Which is to say, these characters are so complex that I understand why someone would view them and their actions very differently.

As for the drama, it does feel forced at times. I also agree that the season needed more breathing room. The 3-audition format would be better suited to 24 or at least 21 episodes. I can go on and on about that, or the apparent lack of performances…but I won’t. Because when the emotional beats are this powerful, I can’t help but sit back and take everything in. Everything else feels like background noise by comparison.
Jun 25, 12:50 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to ShySeishuro
Myetx said:

I watched the series with two people, one of whom understood it and the other didn't...

And I don't think you understood my comment very well either because of your response, or I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.
I mean, don't see that it has anything to do with my comment...

@lycoping, for example, made a comment regarding one of my points in the post and it seems like a valid answer to me (I still have my opinion, but that's the eternal debate for music XD).
@ShySeishuro I have to admit my answer was only partially related to your points. Allow me respond again.
Regarding if Reina knew. Even if you somehow missed direct confirmation from Reina (probably enjoying beautiful animation), everyone who cares about this anime knows that Reina and Kumiko are best friends and soulmates and especially Reina knows how Kumiko sounds. Reina also knew Mayu's sound since she warned Kumiko about it. I had no doubt that Reina knew who played when even if she didn't confirm it.
Now my messy part. I'm in denial about open audition existence and that people (some musicians) try to analyse the sounds and give verdict. However if I understand you, you mean that Kumiko would express more feelings in her play together with Reina given their history. And that would give her advantage comparing to technically perfect but expressionless Mayu. Am I right?
If so, I completely agree with you. It's a great argument that music is a mean to express feelings.
Jun 25, 1:07 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to cu1923
The problem isn’t how they changed the ending, but how forced it feels.

First of all Kumiko and Mayu were supposed to be equal in ability, occasionally one is better than the other but in the end their plays do come out to be so close that Taki couldn’t decide and the votes literally tied before Reina. That is a fact.
Then why did Reina pick Mayu over Kumiko? According to Kumiko it’s because she let her hesitation show for a bit in her play. Yeah that makes sense because our Reina is always direct and unwavering in her belief that only the best should play, great characterization.

The problem is Kumiko’s hesitation.
The sources of her hesitation were three: first the concert band members, second her own future, third Mayu. The first problem was due to the executives decision to make auditions happen multiple times and the first years feeling pressured. This was resolved when Kumiko gave the speech at Kansai competition which reassured and united everyone. The second problem was Kumiko feeling conflicted about her future, similar to Mizore and Nozomi in Liz and the blue bird. This was resolved in the last episode where she realized that neither music nor herself is meant for each other, and brought it up to Reina. The third one was seen revealed in this episode, where Kumiko acknowledged that she feared losing to Mayu because Mayu is such a strong player. This was resolved when Mayu opened up for the first time and Kumiko apologizing for neglecting Mayu’s calls for help.

So why did Kumiko hesitate again? Well she shouldn’t! Because in the novel she had everything worked out right before the audition, there isn’t even a blind audition, she won the first one!
Originally, these three sources of anxiety were what caused Kumiko to lose the Kansai Soli, but in the span of 3 episodes we all witnessed her maturing and solving these problems one by one. It was self discovery, courageous face down, a step to conquer one’s biggest fears that was supposed to result in success but apparently didn't because after all these feelings and experience she’s still hesitating :,) if that isn’t forced plot I don’t know what is.

I’m not calling the plot change bad, in fact I really appreciated the bittersweet ending and think the anime’s production was no short of extraordinary. But if you’re altering the literal ending of an anime of this size, you gotta change things down the line to at least make it reasonable and fitting with the given premise.

For example, show more perspective on Mayu. Remember, they are equal in ability. If all we’ve been shown is Kumiko’s hard work and growth, how do you expect us to just accept that after all this improvement Kumiko is still worse? At least show some parts of Mayu’s personal growth so we know it’s a fair battle between two maturing individuals?

Also, if Kumiko still has unresolved problems, at least give some signs. In the Kansai audition, we can clearly see that the atmosphere at the club is extremely tense, Kumiko has reservations against Mayu, and Reina warned her that she’s been called out more by Taki. But for this? Heck Kumiko is the one to reach out and open up with Mayu, and you’re telling me she is actually feeling lost at heart still about not going to a music university?

Well, guess we will find out how well ep 12 fixes some of these plot holes.
@cu1923 Just thinking from my perspective, but wouldn't someone opening up that they always win make you more anxious about going against them. And this happened just before the audition too. If it was me, I'd more worried about my ability to win after that.
Also, deciding on your future, at least short term made me a little more anxious about it. Like to what college, can I get in realistically, how far is it and do I commute and more.
It sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure they make you decisive in practice that much.

I know you wanted a certain outcome, but she nurtured this club. Kept them togheter, they trust and respect her, she motivates them to reach their goal.
If they win, I actually don't think them winning is a bittersweet ending overall, but a happy one. They could never win without Kumiko and she will be remembered as the first president to win national gold at Kitauji and obviously has to deliver the winning speech. Growing a group into a winning team is a great achievement, better than any audition position in my opinion.
Jun 25, 1:32 AM
Dec 2012
Natsukashii...

I don't ever engage in discussions here, but I have to throw in my two bits after watching this episode. Beautifully done, wonderful drama, peak tension, and oh my goodness did the emotion hit me like a freight train with all the bittersweet. My time in concert band was nothing quite like this but it still makes me remember those days fondly. The real story here isn't the music or the fight for winning Gold at the nationals. Those are all just the vehicles for the real story, which is watching these characters grow up into adults and choosing what type of adult they want to be. Taki-sensei asking Kumiko what type of grown-up she wanted to be was the crux of this episode and, honestly, the entire season, if not the series. Even through the pain of losing out on playing the soli she was committed to sticking to her ideals. Kumiko has grown into a fine person. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Jun 25, 2:34 AM

Jul 2014
Reply to Myetx
To all commenting about peak cinema, drama, how realistic it is etc.
Why not push it further? How would you feel if Kitauji actually won't win gold in nationals? Surely that would be realistic given how much tension was in the club during the year, right?
3 seasons, all build-up - all just to stay that's life it happens. At least we enjoyed nice character development, right?
For me this drama ends here, I am not interested in the finale anymore.
@Myetx In the end it all depends on what message you're sending with the results. Kumiko losing the solo only made her shine more as a president capable of putting her ego aside for the greater good of the club, with that powerful speech she gave after the results. It reinforces the idea that her future lies in leadership rather than performing, and Kitauji winning the gold would be a validation of all of this and the happy ending people usually expect from their favorite shows. If they were to lose the nationals, the writers wouldn't have much time to make it meaningful but I guess they could use this to tell us that life doesn't end at graduation, that Kumiko will have plenty of opportunities to win in the future, either the nationals as a teacher if that's the career the chose or other kinds of victories.
Jun 25, 2:36 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to nunyabiz
Natsukashii...

I don't ever engage in discussions here, but I have to throw in my two bits after watching this episode. Beautifully done, wonderful drama, peak tension, and oh my goodness did the emotion hit me like a freight train with all the bittersweet. My time in concert band was nothing quite like this but it still makes me remember those days fondly. The real story here isn't the music or the fight for winning Gold at the nationals. Those are all just the vehicles for the real story, which is watching these characters grow up into adults and choosing what type of adult they want to be. Taki-sensei asking Kumiko what type of grown-up she wanted to be was the crux of this episode and, honestly, the entire season, if not the series. Even through the pain of losing out on playing the soli she was committed to sticking to her ideals. Kumiko has grown into a fine person. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
@nunyabiz What you said is all valid. But Kumiko could still have all her growth and ideals (none is related to second audition lost) and not being robbed of an opportunity to share special moments with her soulmate.
Jun 25, 3:12 AM

Jul 2014
I wonder if by before the nationals Mayu gets run over by a truck…. Its not like I want her to die, just incapacitated up until the nationals after Kumiko gets done playing the soli. Or if Mayu does get to play I friggin hope they get bronze, I have never wanted the main cast to lose this much in my life lol. KyoAni didnt pull this change from the OG for realism, they did this for more drama, Kumiko winning wont be good drama which is Hibike’s main driving point. Look how they all got us riled up.
Jun 25, 4:53 AM

Jul 2021
did not expect this but a very important point of the episode. can't even imagine how hard it was for both reina and kumiko. so nasty to make it come down to reina's vote.

also anyone catch what kumiko's doing after school? is it going to be music afterall?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 25, 5:15 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to -Stray
I wonder if by before the nationals Mayu gets run over by a truck…. Its not like I want her to die, just incapacitated up until the nationals after Kumiko gets done playing the soli. Or if Mayu does get to play I friggin hope they get bronze, I have never wanted the main cast to lose this much in my life lol. KyoAni didnt pull this change from the OG for realism, they did this for more drama, Kumiko winning wont be good drama which is Hibike’s main driving point. Look how they all got us riled up.
@-Stray haha so I was not the only quietly hoping for the truck 😂
AreosVXJun 25, 7:29 AM
Jun 25, 5:23 AM

Jul 2014
Reply to AreosVX
@-Stray haha so I was not the only quietly hoping for the truck 😂
@AreosVX
My fellow euphofan, there’s def a lot of us hoping for this 🤫
Jun 25, 5:39 AM
Mar 2023
Man, why would they pick Mayu over the best ending? A soli with the best friends, okay let's put aside that and make a newcomer play this shit for their last chance of playing together like wtf are you guys smoking? Goddamn.
Jun 25, 5:40 AM
Mar 2023
Man, why would they pick Mayu over the best ending? A soli with the best friends, okay let's put aside that and make a newcomer play this sht for their last chance of playing together like wtf are you guys smoking? Goddamn.
Jun 25, 5:41 AM
Mar 2023
Man, why would they pick Mayu over the best ending? A soli with the best friends, okay let's put aside that and make a newcomer play this trash for their last chance of playing together like what in the world are you guys smoking?
Jun 25, 5:43 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to TsutanaiFuun
did not expect this but a very important point of the episode. can't even imagine how hard it was for both reina and kumiko. so nasty to make it come down to reina's vote.

also anyone catch what kumiko's doing after school? is it going to be music afterall?
@TsutanaiFuun they said it's obvious and that both music advisers have an easy time understanding, so it has to be the closest possible career to what Kumiko was doing this season

if you aren't sure and don't wanna wait, I assume this is what they are implying:
Jun 25, 8:03 AM

Apr 2013
I really don't understand Taki-sensei and Reina. Taki-sensei admitted that both are good enough to play the solo, so why not pick the safe choice everyone will be happy with? Same with Reina, obviously she knew who Kumiko was but still did not choose her despite both being almost identical.

Damn, why does this episode have so many comments? I mean it's probably quite controversial, but it 's crazy compared to the other episodes.
Jun 25, 8:48 AM
Jan 2021
Now I couldn't care less about the nationals, nobody wants to see a soli between reina and an npc animated, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't even animate it, heck, I don't even want to watch the whole performance, it means nothing. I don't even care if they win the gold, i hope they don't even get bronze.

Most likely we'll get a time skip in the next episode and forget this season exists.
Jun 25, 12:09 PM

May 2021
Mayu's win came kind out of left field since I had taken it for granted that she was going to get the soli. I don't mind it though since it shows how good Kumiko is as a leader/president, setting aside her ego for the better player. You can also guess from that what her future career is going to be.

Jun 25, 12:38 PM
Nov 2023
cjrivas said:
Man, why would they pick Mayu over the best ending? A soli with the best friends, okay let's put aside that and make a newcomer play this trash for their last chance of playing together like what in the world are you guys smoking?

"trash"? why must people say things like this?
Jun 25, 5:06 PM
Mar 2019
So the best player won the final audition, and not necessarily the best girl. For longtime fans, the result can be upsetting. But, with the direction the band was headed, this was the best way. I like the part when it was shown that what you want, and how you feel can be two different things. Yeah, this episode gave me the feels. Heartbreaking yet heartwarming. One more episode.
Jun 25, 7:11 PM

Mar 2018
i really loved this episode. sometimes, it just doesn't work out. i think it makes more sense thematically this way, regardless of the LN ending.
Jun 25, 10:30 PM
Dec 2017
Dunno man, deep down I don't really care what happens in the nationals. Even if they win the gold, what's the point? I know from kumiko & reina pov... but damn it.... kyoani bastard
Jun 25, 10:53 PM
May 2021
kinda predicted but
Jun 26, 4:59 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Gabjnr
Now I couldn't care less about the nationals, nobody wants to see a soli between reina and an npc animated, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't even animate it, heck, I don't even want to watch the whole performance, it means nothing. I don't even care if they win the gold, i hope they don't even get bronze.

Most likely we'll get a time skip in the next episode and forget this season exists.
@Gabjnr This long-awaited duet, if ever animated, will certainly have a vibe quite different from what was expected, after skipping all of the previous performances... I am actually worried about the feelings of Kumiko and Reina during the final performance, hoping it won't affect their playing in a bad way. Another reason why I am not persuaded that selecting on the skill alone is always the best approach, especially when it's about a duet.
Jun 26, 5:29 AM
Nov 2023
Kyragos said:
@Gabjnr This long-awaited duet, if ever animated, will certainly have a vibe quite different from what was expected, after skipping all of the previous performances... I am actually worried about the feelings of Kumiko and Reina during the final performance, hoping it won't affect their playing in a bad way. Another reason why I am not persuaded that selecting on the skill alone is always the best approach, especially when it's about a duet.

I think that's one reason the last scene is so important. they got at least some of that angst out. even if kumiko isn't doing the solo, reina and mayu have already proven once that they can get through the solo and win competitions. I'm not really too worried about that.

I was thinking about what that last scene signified, and it's not just about kumiko. reina has been insecure about their friendship all throughout the season, like in the last episode where she told kumiko she wanted to end it because they would drift apart once they no longer have music in common in the same way. kumiko put those insecurities to rest here. reina will walk off mount daikichi, hand in hand, knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that kumiko is her *Friend*. not just a musical partner, not an acquaintance of convenience, not some fair weather friend that will leave her once kumiko has what she needs from her. kumiko knows her at her worst - and in some ways, this is reina at her worst - and accepts and loves her anyway.

this may actually help reina to even play better. and maybe kumiko too, in her own way.

sorry about capitalization, On a tablet and don't feel like fixing it.
Jun 26, 6:27 AM
Nov 2023
You know... thinking about it further (and I may write a blog post about this), we might have gotten this entirely wrong right from the beginning.

In the LN, Kumiko is the main character. In the anime, both Kumiko and Reina are main characters, and they develop alongside each other. I think many people fundamentally misunderstood Reina's role in the story, and that's why it came across as disjointed as it did. Shuuichi was sidelined because while he's a somewhat important character, he's not a main character like Reina is.

We only truly see Reina cry twice in this entire series. The first time is at the very first part of the very first episode, where she is frustrated that they didn't make gold. And throughout the series, Reina is held up by Kumiko herself as something to aspire to - an unwavering drive to *win*. Kumiko even pretty much outright says this at the final scene - she understands why Reina chose what she did because that is who Reina always has been. Reina got frustrated, angry, jealous... but never cried.

Until this episode.

And this time, the reason she cried was because, even though she had to be (and was) true to herself, she finally, maybe for the first time in her life, cared about something other than winning, and perhaps Taki. She had a friend, and she cared so deeply for that friend that the fact that she had to "betray" her tore her up. This time, she was crying, not because she was frustrated because she lost gold, but because she thought she might lose Kumiko. Maybe it's a little more complicated than that, because maybe she was a little frustrated at Kumiko too for making her choose that way, but I think it was mostly because she thought she actually might have irreparably fractured the closest, and maybe to some degree *only*, friendship she'd ever had.

This wasn't just the closure of Kumiko's arc, it was the closure of Reina's too. Reina is not the same girl she was back in first year. In the first year, Reina was an "ice queen" who only cared about winning and only showed frustration or anger when someone was getting in the way of her being "special". But this time it had nothing at all to do with being special, and everything to do with her relationship with Kumiko. Maybe she loves Taki in an immature, childish way... but her love for Kumiko isn't immature or childish, even if platonic. It's deep, and broad, and this is the episode where I think she realized that.

Reina grew up too in this episode, in her own special way.

And we would have never gotten this moment if it weren't for the fact that KyoAni deviated from the LN.

I'm convinced it was the right choice now, and I'm pretty convinced they were driving to something like this from the very beginning. They saw something in the character of Reina that maybe even the LN author didn't, and that says a great deal about what KyoAni brings to the table in every anime they're involved in.
Jun 26, 6:35 AM
Feb 2023
I don't have an issue with the way that things have panned out and the main plot lines, however what I really do have a big problem with is the terribly rushed nature of it all. Why isn't all of this content spread across two seasons instead of being squashed into one?

They made the same mistake with the first movie, slightly less so with the theatrical OVA, and now season 3 is getting the big squeeze.

What a waste of a great opportunity to make something really excellent.

For me, Sound! Euphonium's quality dropped drastically after season 2 because the careful and steady pacing and excellent character and plot development of seasons 1 and 2 were ditched.
Jun 26, 6:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The episode ended with tears!!!!!
kekeke
Jun 26, 8:01 AM

Jan 2015

• reminder to do something today that will make your life better •
• true failure is when you stop trying •

Jun 26, 9:07 AM
Mar 2024
astonishing episode!😭😭
great job KyoAni❤
Jun 26, 10:18 AM
Mar 2015
I have rewatched this episode 4 times and I think that the best part was Kumiko finally breaking down and being honest about how she felt about losing the soli and not being chosen by Reina because she was not good enough for Reina's standards In the end she could not stand shoulder to shoulder with Reina and it hurt
Jun 26, 11:26 AM

Aug 2013
Probably the best episode. Not just of this Hibike Euphonium season but the best of all its seasons.
The direction and voice acting was just incredible.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 26, 10:42 PM
May 2021
I could accept Mayu winning (after a lot of grieving) if the situation made sense like Taki just choosing her. I am not a professional musician, but I competed in solo and ensemble competition throughout grade school. I know it is subjective, but after my first listen to the two soli, the second one sounded better - tone, dynamics, vibrato, phrasing... and mainly sounding like a duet vs accompaniment. I decided in one listen because the band members had to decide in one listen.

Throughout the season, Mayu and Kumiko are described as equals except that Reina mentions that Mayu has the sound they are looking for. That’s why I don’t understand when people mention that Mayu is better than Kumiko. Taki couldn’t choose, the ensemble barely chose one over the other. Mayu mentioned that she is honest with her music, so we know she is giving her all and still ending up neck and neck with Kumiko, who admits hasn’t being playing her best. Mayu keeps saying she can give up the solo and just wants to play in the ensemble, which I bet is something she could do if she asked Taki in private. Thus, she can audition and give it her all to be a member of the ensemble but even if she is better than Kumiko, she would pass on the soli without anyone knowing. Problem solved.

But all that aside, just getting to the point where you need to have a blind audition where the students vote is absurd.

Taki is the teacher and is trained in music so should have a good judgement of who would better fit. Both Kumiko and Mayu have rehearsed and played in competition the soli so Taki would know how each would sound with the group. Taki has also been Kumiko's teacher for the past 3 years, so he should know her tendencies and play style and if it matched the sound he wants. As the conductor, he stands in front of the band with all their sounds coming straight at him, so he has the best idea of whose sound matches instead of someone in the ensemble sitting off to the side or behind - I sat in front of trumpets and all I heard was trumpets blasting into my ears most of the time. It should have been Taki who chose not just because it is his job, but he has the most information about each player and the group as a whole. This would be the more realistic.

If their goal is gold and it is merit based, then why have a vote? Several of the students are beginners or not as knowledgeable to know what would make a gold-winning sound. I get the purpose was to not create turmoil again and fix Mayu/Kumiko's relationship, but what if that backfired too? What if one got all the votes and the other got none and they just quit because of embarrassment? What if Mayu still won, but since half the ensemble voted from Kumiko, they are still dissatisfied with the results? Why take the chance to create a new mess?

Finally, what precedence does this set going forward? The first and second years may continue to be in the band under Taki but now without Kumiko as president. So, if they disagree with his judgement again, do they just cause discord and it goes back to students voting - he's done it before. He has not repaired the ensemble's confidence in him as their leader.

I think after Kumiko's speech in the second competition plus them moving on to nationals, the ensemble would accept Mayu being chosen again by Taki even if they still did not like it. There was no reason to rehash the same drama or create an audition similar to what happened in Season 1. I get that it creates drama and hits you in the feels, but the whole situation even happening is far fetch and feels forced especially it ending in 50/50 with Reina being the deciding vote.

If they kept the original results, everyone would just accept the show as overall great show. But with the change, a portion of the viewers still think it is great, but then another portion now dislike it (mainly just Season 3). Besides the adding drama, my Japanese friend in Japan mentioned that maybe they did this to cause this discord and get people talking about the series. That will bring more people to the series and in turn more money.
Jun 27, 2:30 AM
Oct 2013
I watched this episode when the drama about this particular episode died down. Tbh, I surprised that only a few on this forum even talked about how Mayu got scot-free with her stupid questions every episode and never ever apologize to Kumiko for her insensitive question, she's even asking that damn question just before the audition. The only one who apologized was Kumiko when she's given the same answer every damn time she was asked that uncomfortable question that she certainly didn't want to hear. The little flashback can mean many things, but I strongly believed her friend quit because she's asking that damn question knowing she's superior than her friend.

I still don't like Mayu one bit, this episode cemented her to be a manipulative girl she is which I had an inkling from earlier episodes. She only wants one thing to guilt trip a club president with the added responsibility, so she can felt much burden than she already had, If she really thinks about Kumiko like Kanade said she will not asking her this question every time and add her mental burden even further.

Reina decided to become tone deaf at the last minute, hope she retired from her musical career early.

Taki showing his incompetence and regressed IQ as story progress. To our untrained ear we can already determined that the music were different, he should be sacked for being a bad plus stupid teacher.

Not sure why this episode got so much positive reception? The writing is all over the place and making only Kumiko apologized to Mayu was the start of it.

The only thing that might salvage this for me is if Kitauji lose (preferrably miserably) just to show reality like they did with this episode which is highly impossible because the director wanted to prove a point.
niknasrJun 27, 4:04 AM
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 27, 3:37 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to popscrackle
I could accept Mayu winning (after a lot of grieving) if the situation made sense like Taki just choosing her. I am not a professional musician, but I competed in solo and ensemble competition throughout grade school. I know it is subjective, but after my first listen to the two soli, the second one sounded better - tone, dynamics, vibrato, phrasing... and mainly sounding like a duet vs accompaniment. I decided in one listen because the band members had to decide in one listen.

Throughout the season, Mayu and Kumiko are described as equals except that Reina mentions that Mayu has the sound they are looking for. That’s why I don’t understand when people mention that Mayu is better than Kumiko. Taki couldn’t choose, the ensemble barely chose one over the other. Mayu mentioned that she is honest with her music, so we know she is giving her all and still ending up neck and neck with Kumiko, who admits hasn’t being playing her best. Mayu keeps saying she can give up the solo and just wants to play in the ensemble, which I bet is something she could do if she asked Taki in private. Thus, she can audition and give it her all to be a member of the ensemble but even if she is better than Kumiko, she would pass on the soli without anyone knowing. Problem solved.

But all that aside, just getting to the point where you need to have a blind audition where the students vote is absurd.

Taki is the teacher and is trained in music so should have a good judgement of who would better fit. Both Kumiko and Mayu have rehearsed and played in competition the soli so Taki would know how each would sound with the group. Taki has also been Kumiko's teacher for the past 3 years, so he should know her tendencies and play style and if it matched the sound he wants. As the conductor, he stands in front of the band with all their sounds coming straight at him, so he has the best idea of whose sound matches instead of someone in the ensemble sitting off to the side or behind - I sat in front of trumpets and all I heard was trumpets blasting into my ears most of the time. It should have been Taki who chose not just because it is his job, but he has the most information about each player and the group as a whole. This would be the more realistic.

If their goal is gold and it is merit based, then why have a vote? Several of the students are beginners or not as knowledgeable to know what would make a gold-winning sound. I get the purpose was to not create turmoil again and fix Mayu/Kumiko's relationship, but what if that backfired too? What if one got all the votes and the other got none and they just quit because of embarrassment? What if Mayu still won, but since half the ensemble voted from Kumiko, they are still dissatisfied with the results? Why take the chance to create a new mess?

Finally, what precedence does this set going forward? The first and second years may continue to be in the band under Taki but now without Kumiko as president. So, if they disagree with his judgement again, do they just cause discord and it goes back to students voting - he's done it before. He has not repaired the ensemble's confidence in him as their leader.

I think after Kumiko's speech in the second competition plus them moving on to nationals, the ensemble would accept Mayu being chosen again by Taki even if they still did not like it. There was no reason to rehash the same drama or create an audition similar to what happened in Season 1. I get that it creates drama and hits you in the feels, but the whole situation even happening is far fetch and feels forced especially it ending in 50/50 with Reina being the deciding vote.

If they kept the original results, everyone would just accept the show as overall great show. But with the change, a portion of the viewers still think it is great, but then another portion now dislike it (mainly just Season 3). Besides the adding drama, my Japanese friend in Japan mentioned that maybe they did this to cause this discord and get people talking about the series. That will bring more people to the series and in turn more money.
@popscrackle I 100% couldn't agree more
Jun 27, 6:08 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to FireFistYK
Lol, they just had to go and make another big change from the novels and fuck this all up.

So fucking stupid and all in the name of showcasing "realism"

A GOAT show only to be letdown by the writers deciding to go anime original
@FireFistYK Well... seems that Takeda-sensei is okay with the changes so I'm glad we won't have another "Sexy Tanaka-san" case.
Not that I agree with what KyoAni did, but oh well.
Jun 27, 6:13 AM

Jan 2016
theprussian said:
@FireFistYK Well... seems that Takeda-sensei is okay with the changes so I'm glad we won't have another "Sexy Tanaka-san" case.

Yes I know she's fine with it, which is good.

But I still don't agree with the decision unfortunately and so does a large part of the western and Japanese fanbase.

But it is what it is
Jun 27, 6:15 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to sirwence
@watsym I rather doubt the author could have said "nope"you script it the way the source canon material is or else!.

@sirwence Then let me introduce to you to the author of "Sexy Tanaka-san" manga, Ashihara Hinako (it's a very heartbreaking case).
Jun 27, 6:18 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to g1l
imagine they get bronze
@g1l The fandom would explode...
Jun 27, 7:21 AM

Jun 2016
OMG THE BEST DRAMA THIS SEASON !!

Jun 27, 10:27 AM

May 2011
Anime only here and I thought this episode was great. Personally also voted for the first performer and surprise surprise it was Mayu! Honestly don't know why people have been calling Mayu a bitch for 12 episodes now when she hasn't even done anything remotely hateful. I understand if some don't like her but saying she's an evil bitch is just kinda weird to me.
Jun 27, 12:43 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to popscrackle

@popscrackle "Throughout the season, Mayu and Kumiko are described as equals except that Reina mentions that Mayu has the sound they are looking for. That’s why I don’t understand when people mention that Mayu is better than Kumiko."

This is what I say, and somehow people come to the conclusion that mayu deserves the solo because she's somehow better, even when the anime hasn't show that at all, and this episode just confirms it by making them tie twice

You're telling me that taki sensei couldn't choose between the two cause they're so similar but somehow reina could decide in less than 10 seconds, but they hold hands in the last minute of the episode and suddenly is good writing...

If you told me that taki sensei made the open audition so the other sudents choose kumiko then it would make sense (not expecting kumiko to ask for it to be blind), but even if that was the case he would choose kumiko right away, and IF mayu's actually better then half the episode makes no sense cause she should just win the first audition, they did this just to make reina the tiebreaker for a fabricated drama at the last moment.
GabjnrJun 27, 12:49 PM
Jun 27, 12:58 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to niknasr
I watched this episode when the drama about this particular episode died down. Tbh, I surprised that only a few on this forum even talked about how Mayu got scot-free with her stupid questions every episode and never ever apologize to Kumiko for her insensitive question, she's even asking that damn question just before the audition. The only one who apologized was Kumiko when she's given the same answer every damn time she was asked that uncomfortable question that she certainly didn't want to hear. The little flashback can mean many things, but I strongly believed her friend quit because she's asking that damn question knowing she's superior than her friend.

I still don't like Mayu one bit, this episode cemented her to be a manipulative girl she is which I had an inkling from earlier episodes. She only wants one thing to guilt trip a club president with the added responsibility, so she can felt much burden than she already had, If she really thinks about Kumiko like Kanade said she will not asking her this question every time and add her mental burden even further.

Reina decided to become tone deaf at the last minute, hope she retired from her musical career early.

Taki showing his incompetence and regressed IQ as story progress. To our untrained ear we can already determined that the music were different, he should be sacked for being a bad plus stupid teacher.

Not sure why this episode got so much positive reception? The writing is all over the place and making only Kumiko apologized to Mayu was the start of it.

The only thing that might salvage this for me is if Kitauji lose (preferrably miserably) just to show reality like they did with this episode which is highly impossible because the director wanted to prove a point.
niknasr said:

"Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were a manipulator and were constantly pressuring me the whole season, I mean you are a manipulator but you have your reasons so its okay"

Probably it's a cultural thing but still...

I kinda want them to lose now but realistically I don't see that happening unless they make a mistake in the performance which would be just more unnecessary drama, but tbh at this point who cares, we'll probably get a timeskip next episode after the nationals are done and everyone's happy
Jun 27, 1:56 PM

Nov 2008
Reply to theprussian
@sirwence Then let me introduce to you to the author of "Sexy Tanaka-san" manga, Ashihara Hinako (it's a very heartbreaking case).
@theprussian Indeed I remember that .. was extremely sad to read on my TL back in January. It is one of the many reasons I don't believe the author could have actually stopped KyoAni from taking a chainsaw to the original plot (as they do with basically every source material they get their hands on)
sirwenceJun 27, 2:30 PM
Jun 27, 5:08 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Gabjnr
@popscrackle "Throughout the season, Mayu and Kumiko are described as equals except that Reina mentions that Mayu has the sound they are looking for. That’s why I don’t understand when people mention that Mayu is better than Kumiko."

This is what I say, and somehow people come to the conclusion that mayu deserves the solo because she's somehow better, even when the anime hasn't show that at all, and this episode just confirms it by making them tie twice

You're telling me that taki sensei couldn't choose between the two cause they're so similar but somehow reina could decide in less than 10 seconds, but they hold hands in the last minute of the episode and suddenly is good writing...

If you told me that taki sensei made the open audition so the other sudents choose kumiko then it would make sense (not expecting kumiko to ask for it to be blind), but even if that was the case he would choose kumiko right away, and IF mayu's actually better then half the episode makes no sense cause she should just win the first audition, they did this just to make reina the tiebreaker for a fabricated drama at the last moment.
Gabjnr said:

Let's be fair to everyone - Reina did not (necessarily) take less than ten seconds to decide. She had several minutes while everyone voted, and she didn't even vote until there was a tie. I suspect she didn't want to actually vote and was hoping that everyone else would decide it for her. But life wasn't that easy on her, sadly.

As for Mayu (in your other comment), she *appeared* to be manipulative until this episode. It turned out she was actually just wanting to get along, but couldn't bring herself to step down because she respects the music too much. She was trying her hardest to get Kumiko to give her an excuse, and Kumiko kept refusing. Manipulative? Unintentionally, maybe, but I don't think there was the kind of ill will or Machiavellian intent that that word implies. Kumiko apologized because she didn't understand what Mayu was trying to get her to do or why. She still wouldn't have done it, but she felt bad for not seeing it. I had no issues with that scene at all.

Kanade agreed with you, though, I guess, so there's that. Turns out Kumiko's final boss was her from first year, heh.
Jun 27, 5:13 PM
Oct 2013
Reply to theprussian
@theprussian Is it? I think the tweet from the author more like a damage control kind of thing, Some have justified the decisions going on in this episode with their own way of logics which is fine but if I'm being honest, this drama is clearly manufactured to bait for emotional height. If I'm being honest, the author is partly to blame because he/she included this stupid hypocritical character into the roster and kyoani take advantage from it and she even dressed as a victim in this whole fiasco which clearly untrue. Saying stupid ass like just want to play with others but underhandedly guilt trip everyone and in audition doesn't pull her punches.

lycoping said:
Manipulative? Unintentionally, maybe, but I don't think there was the kind of ill will or Machiavellian intent that that word implies..

Yes, and Kumiko need to pay for it especiailly in her 1st audition. That's why I don't like this idea that she got away with this scot-free and the writing even painted as she is the victim in all of this and even got a very good payoff after being "unintentionally manipulative" for a whole semester or 2. "HONEST TO MUSIC" just doesn't really cut it and does not explained why she's harassing Kumiko with that question even though she clearly got the answer she wants every time she asked about it. This is bad writing. Let's not even get into how Taki suddenly make a whole ass audition just for Euphonium soli just to run away from his responsibility of owning up to his choice.

Gabjnr said:
Probably it's a cultural thing but still...

It's not. Kanade already explained in ep 11. Basically, saying that if situation is reversed Kumiko will not ask those questions or somewhere along those lines. They just come up with whatever reason to justify Mayu and added the bait of emotional past that she had and hope all is forgotten.
niknasrJun 27, 5:47 PM
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

90 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

112 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:18 PM

» About this season

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 30

6 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Sep 30, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.