Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 5, 2023 5:42 AM
May 2020
Now I’m not tryna hate on chainsaw man or anything because I actually enjoyed it but am I the only one who thinks the pacing was a bit fast, to me it felt like everything happens so fast
yvngdez5May 5, 2023 5:51 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 5, 2023 5:47 AM

Jul 2015
That's probably the only valid criticism regarding the show. They really set their minds to conclude it on Katana Man arc and it shows. Manga readers are even complaining, that they completely skipped Muscule Devil.

May 5, 2023 5:48 AM
May 2020
Igi2137 said:
They were any villians?

Was katana dude not a villain? Or the one girl
May 5, 2023 5:50 AM
May 2020
Piromysl said:
That's probably the only valid criticism regarding the show. They really set their minds to conclude it on Katana Man arc and it shows. Manga readers are even complaining, that they completely skipped Muscule Devil.

Yeah I’m not gonna say the pacing killed the show for me but it is a problem I have with the anime
May 5, 2023 6:18 AM

Apr 2022
there are no enemies next arc.
May 5, 2023 6:32 AM

Feb 2010
I agree. I liked it but it did feel like it should have been 1 5 - 2 times as many episode than it was
May 5, 2023 6:35 AM

Jul 2015
ryzxgum said:

Nobody has enemies.

May 5, 2023 6:43 AM
Aug 2021
Piromysl said:
ryzxgum said:

Nobody has enemies.

I have no enemies๐Ÿฅฒ
May 5, 2023 6:44 AM

Mar 2021
Well, I personally think the pacing of Chainsaw Man story (manga+anime) itself is relatively fast paced compared to alot of other shounens. Fujimoto really loves to cut out irrelevant dialogues and favours to keep up with the short attention span of today's people.
But I like the pacing, it gives you the sense of steady and quick progression whilst not excluding any crucial narrative details.
May 5, 2023 6:45 AM
Apr 2023
I loved CM but agree they could have slowed down the story pacing and some of the fight scenes about 20% and I think it would have been even better.

Felt like they were going for maximum edge which largely worked but sometimes haste makes waste.
May 5, 2023 7:05 AM
Apr 2021
Im not used to read smart threads in MAL.Im touched.
May 5, 2023 7:14 AM
Mar 2022
I'd say the pacing is like that because that's what makes sense in the story.

Chainsaw Man isn't very story-driven. It's character-driven. But it isn't focusing on multiple characters. It is focusing on only one, and that's Denji. The whole show is from his perspective. The only side characters who get any focus are Makima (his love interest), Aki (his roommate), Power (his first friend), Himeno (the person he first kissed) and Kobeni (will become clear later).

If nobody else gets the spotlight or backstory they deserve, it's because Denji doesn't care about them. The guy who saves Kobeni (forgot his name) literally only gets a spotlight when he saves her, and when he talks nicely to Denji in the restaurant. It's because those are the parts which stood out to Denji, and so he remembers them.

The villains don't get any spotlight because that's all they are. Villains who killed Himeno. Denji doesn't need to know about them or their lives or stories. He is going to kill them to take revenge, and nothing is going to change that anyways.

It feels fast paced and weird because it isn't following a traditional anime structure. But it all makes complete sense in the style that it goes for.

TLDR - The show doesn't make you care about side characters, because Denji doesn't care about them and they don't affect his development very much. Since the story is focusing on his individual development more than anything, it doesn't focus on anyone who doesn't affect Denji directly.
May 5, 2023 7:24 AM
Jun 2022
yvngdez5 said:
Now I’m not tryna hate on chainsaw man or anything because I actually enjoyed it but am I the only one who thinks the pacing was a bit fast, to me it felt like everything happens so fast

Ye I agree I too thought it was a lil too fast paced and they cut out a lot from the manga I’m not a big manga reader but I noticed instantly ๐Ÿ’€
May 5, 2023 7:40 AM

Oct 2013
They literally cut my dick now it's as long as my thought process.
May 5, 2023 7:42 AM

Aug 2021
definitely not the only one
May 5, 2023 8:43 AM
Apr 2023
Yeah, it was pretty fast, but overall I think it was probably a good decision. Maybe this was actually because of the fast pacing, but I did not find the plot of the first season to be all that compelling, especially when compared to the bigger narrative the anime appears to be going for. Haven't read the manga, but I'm assuming more interesting stuff is yet to come, and speeding through what appears to be an extremely long exposition was probably a good move imo, and they executed it pretty well.
May 5, 2023 8:51 AM

Aug 2020
yvngdez5 said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about, as a csm manga reader I can tell you that the fights were the things that made csm feel slow. The manga had amazing panels in the fights but the anime kind of put a shit ton of emphasis in their fights. But overall I wouldn’t really care the show was decent at best. btw those “villains” that you’re talking about weren’t really a big deal, it’s only katana man because he’s one of the major devils, but he wasn’t killed after he was shown for 3 episodes.
filthyfrank8142May 5, 2023 8:55 AM
May 5, 2023 8:57 AM
Aug 2022
yvngdez5 said:

nah nah it was not fast it was perfect at its speed I think that many villan was not good as i was expecting and hype ohh come this anime is good but slowly single by single episode it's lost his impression that it made on it's first episode and yeah i was expecting more than this chainsawman fail to meet his expectations ig that's why u feel it's fast but i hope season 2 will be good
May 5, 2023 9:08 AM
Dec 2022
Yeah kind of agreed with. Besides, I feel there is lack of comedic moment than in the manga.
May 5, 2023 9:21 AM

Feb 2021
That’s why the manga is better
May 5, 2023 9:30 AM
May 2020
Erenlikeanime said:
yvngdez5 said:

nah nah it was not fast it was perfect at its speed I think that many villan was not good as i was expecting and hype ohh come this anime is good but slowly single by single episode it's lost his impression that it made on it's first episode and yeah i was expecting more than this chainsawman fail to meet his expectations ig that's why u feel it's fast but i hope season 2 will be good

Can definitely agree with that, it was good but not as good as it was hyped up to be, I left feeling a little disappointed
May 5, 2023 9:31 AM
May 2020
Igi2137 said:
They literally cut 20 pages top LULE

So what I’m hearing is just read the manga
May 5, 2023 9:43 AM
Mar 2020
CSM manga is also fast paced, so if you don’t liked fast paced stories, then CSM just isn’t for you. The anime is a pretty faithful adaptation, so If you don’t like the anime, you won’t like the manga.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 5, 2023 9:51 AM
Apr 2022
That was what my criticism was for it, but people just berated me for it. There is literally no time to get invested in anything. The anime is a lot of violence and gore with very little substance, which is fine, but that doesn’t make the anime unique or special. It especially doesn’t help that Denji is a shallow character with weak motivations.
May 5, 2023 9:56 AM
Feb 2022
i just like the show
May 5, 2023 10:11 AM
May 2020
MeVike said:
CSM manga is also fast paced, so if you don’t liked fast paced stories, then CSM just isn’t for you. The anime is a pretty faithful adaptation, so If you don’t like the anime, you won’t like the manga.

Woah buddy I literally said a enjoyed it but it just felt a little rushed
May 5, 2023 10:13 AM
May 2020
thunderkitten13 said:
That was what my criticism was for it, but people just berated me for it. There is literally no time to get invested in anything. The anime is a lot of violence and gore with very little substance, which is fine, but that doesn’t make the anime unique or special. It especially doesn’t help that Denji is a shallow character with weak motivations.

100% agree, I wasn’t really able to get invested in anything but it was good enough to watch, turn you brain off entertainment
May 5, 2023 10:15 AM
Mar 2020
MeVike said:

“the anime is a pretty faithful adaptation”

omegalul
May 5, 2023 10:39 AM
Mar 2020
yvngdez5 said:
MeVike said:

Woah buddy I literally said a enjoyed it but it just felt a little rushed

I’m not attacking you my guy. I’m giving you a heads up.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

May 5, 2023 10:40 AM
Mar 2020
otasune said:
MeVike said:

“the anime is a pretty faithful adaptation”

omegalul

Well I don’t say it was 1:1 did I? The only thing I can think of at the top of my head, that wasn’t included is muscle demon.

May 5, 2023 10:41 AM
Jan 2022
I can say that pacing is really fast, but, in my opinion, isn't a bad thing. Pacing follows Denji's histrionic and impulsive nature and that's a good artistic decision for me, as good as when it slows down during quiet moments.
May 5, 2023 11:04 AM
Aug 2021
iLuvCoffee said:
Well, I personally think the pacing of Chainsaw Man story (manga+anime) itself is relatively fast paced compared to alot of other shounens. Fujimoto really loves to cut out irrelevant dialogues and favours to keep up with the short attention span of today's people.
But I like the pacing, it gives you the sense of steady and quick progression whilst not excluding any crucial narrative details.

loves "cutting useless dialogue", when they literally dont explain nothing(in the manga) of why many things happen, and how the power sistem work, yeah really good.
May 5, 2023 11:15 AM

Mar 2021
SuntProstMare said:
iLuvCoffee said:

loves "cutting useless dialogue", when they literally dont explain nothing(in the manga) of why many things happen, and how the power sistem work, yeah really good.

I don't mean to offend you, but why do you give me the impression you haven't really paid attention to the story?
The power system is quite literally a contract with a devil and you use that devil's power, and the overall beef about Makima, War Devil and others trying to kill the Chainsaw Devil is slowly being told in the manga bit by bit. It's a quite straight forward narrative in my opinion.
Unless I'm misinterpreting your post (sorry if I am) I don't see anything wrong with how Fujimoto keeps the dialogues to a minimum.
May 5, 2023 11:40 AM
Aug 2021
iLuvCoffee said:
SuntProstMare said:

I don't mean to offend you, but why do you give me the impression you haven't really paid attention to the story?
The power system is quite literally a contract with a devil and you use that devil's power, and the overall beef about Makima, War Devil and others trying to kill the Chainsaw Devil is slowly being told in the manga bit by bit. It's a quite straight forward narrative in my opinion.
Unless I'm misinterpreting your post (sorry if I am) I don't see anything wrong with how Fujimoto keeps the dialogues to a minimum.

the Power sistem Is still not well explained, why does some human have specific skills that didnt match their contractor(or for Devil), like for example Denji, that have Powers not really explained well.
for the gun Devil I didnt understand why he attacked somebody else when It was given another target.
the dialogue could be good if explained, like for Kobeni, why She Is powerfull( seen in the anime) but at the same time being scared of everything(literally), and the motivation can be explained only by "She Is a normale person" because a normal person would Simply escape from his family that want to make her a prostitute/Devil hunter.
they also wasted many characters trought the story, and so I dont consider this anime/manga a gore genre only because they show some Blood.
A Major motivation to why this anime cant be considered great Is mostly because of his fandom; that turn off their brain when watching/Reading and hyping it
May 5, 2023 12:52 PM

Mar 2021
Uhh I'm gonna be honest mate, I actually didn't understand your wording that well unfortunately. It's fine, I'll go with whatever I understood.
SuntProstMare said:

the Power sistem Is still not well explained, why does some human have specific skills that didnt match their contractor(or for Devil), like for example Denji, that have Powers not really explained well.

I don't know if you know this, but anyone can form a contract with a devil as long as the devil agrees on the "price" (usually it's either a physical or spiritual part of the human). For Denji's part, if you're meaning to say why he's a hybrid of a human and devil, then it's just because his contract is to share his entire body with the chainsaw devil. Again, I'm only answering with whatever I understood from your post.

SuntProstMare said:
for the gun Devil I didnt understand why he attacked somebody else when It was given another target.

About the Gun Devil, I don't really remember what that "someone else" part is. Maybe it's my fault, but if you could clarify more, then it'd be really helpful.

SuntProstMare said:
the dialogue could be good if explained, like for Kobeni, why She Is powerfull( seen in the anime) but at the same time being scared of everything(literally), and the motivation can be explained only by "She Is a normale person" because a normal person would Simply escape from his family that want to make her a prostitute/Devil hunter.

For Kobeni's part, I would conclude that's just her character troupe; a seemingly passively frightened girl who is forced to either work a near-death job or sell her dignity for her so called "family". If you're trying to argue why she's so agile and swift with her combat (aka "powerful") then I can only say you haven't paid much attention to the story, since not every bit of information will be spoonfed to the viewers. Why is any devil hunter good at combat, huh? It's because of their devil contracts, and considering how we aren't really given any clear evidence of her contract, we can only assume Kobeni's devil gives her a sudden heightened sense of speed and agility and probably even luck, similar to Lady Luck from Deadpool.

(And from this section, things get a little outside of the original reason as to why and what I had originally posted in this thread.)
SuntProstMare said:
they also wasted many characters trought the story, and so I dont consider this anime/manga a gore genre only because they show some Blood.

I don't really agree with the fact the series "wasted" a lot of characters, assuming you're talking about how Fujimoto constantly keeps killing off small side characters every now and then. I wouldn't call that wasteful, but rather a small weight to describe the "dog eat dog" (in this case it's devil eat human) world of Chainsaw Man. I would also appreciate if you could specify what certain characters would've been better if they were alive for the story than being dead.
And it's perfectly okay if you don't consider the show as "gore", that never was the topic/argument to begin with.

SuntProstMare said:
A Major motivation to why this anime cant be considered great Is mostly because of his fandom; that turn off their brain when watching/Reading and hyping it

And this is where I fail to understand the most, why would you state your opinion as to why the show cannot be considered "great", lol? I never associated any qualitative values to the show, did I? Nor it was the original topic of the discussion, was it? In one sentence, it serves no purpose in this discussion.
It only gives off the vibe of an ad hominem by plainly stating something like that. I wish you could've given a proper constructive criticism in return, but alas. :/
May 5, 2023 1:17 PM
Aug 2020
lmao, what's up with the vinland saga references in these comments
May 5, 2023 1:58 PM
Jan 2021
Yeah I think Chainsaw Man moves pretty quickly, even in the manga it all happens pretty fast. But I found that kind of refreshing compared to all the shonen manga and anime that drag everything out to egregious degrees.
May 5, 2023 2:02 PM
Apr 2022
might be an anime thing (just a little) in the manga the pacing is already pretty quick but because you can read it so quick it flows along much better than in the anime, where it's the katana arc and it's over. rlly should have been 24 episodes
May 5, 2023 2:40 PM
Apr 2017
yvngdez5 said:

You're supposed to see this as just the halfway point of an arc. IDK why they decided to stop the arc halfway through but if you read it to the end you'll come to understand the pacing.
May 5, 2023 2:43 PM

Sep 2020
lol I thought the pacing was too slow. I think we had a whole episode of Himeno throwing up in Denji's mouth when the manga just glossed over it.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

May 5, 2023 5:08 PM
Apr 2021
That’s because they adapted the arcs that are just meant to get you invested in the characters.
May 5, 2023 10:03 PM
May 2022
that's chainsaw man for ya
actually it wasn't rushed at all in the anime, it's pacing is already like that in the manga
May 5, 2023 10:36 PM

Aug 2020
I felt that with Katana Man only, yea but everything else felt like the manga was faster.
Keep scrolling
May 5, 2023 10:43 PM

Apr 2019
yvngdez5 said:
the villains for the season where introduced and killed or beaten within like 3 episodes so I didn’t really care about them because it happen so fast hell I didn’t even care about half the side cast because they were introduced and killed within an instant

The villain of this story has been introduced in the first episode itself and will no be defeated till much later in the story. Katanaman is just a pawn in the grand scale of things.
May 5, 2023 11:16 PM
Nov 2019
CSM is meant to be a fast paced crazy story. you can read the first 98 chapters in no time. That's how the story was written. If you think the pacing is fast now, you have another thing coming. Fujimoto hits the gas at the next arc and doesn't release it until the end of part 1.

The pacing is how it was supposed to be. A lot of the show was page for page with the manga, and the people complaining about a part scrapped from the beginning are ridiculous. That part is so small and almost meaningless. Besides, a couple of bad cgi shots, this adaptation is 10/10, and that's coming from a "manga reader."
May 5, 2023 11:29 PM
Nov 2019
thunderkitten13 said:

Denji is a great character because he doesn't know anything about a normal life. He doesn't even know what swallow is. Him having these types of goals is supposed to show you how little he could do in his life and how bad his life is. Toast with Jam. Touching boobs. Sure, they could be called shallow, but look at it differently. Him just wanting those things shows how little of life he has actually lived. He's definitely better than your repeating typical shounen jump protagonist. Fujimoto made him this way as a way to show how shitty his life is.

The anime community can suck sometimes. Sorry you got berated.
May 6, 2023 3:03 AM

Jun 2020
I feel the same too. Well some manga readers here said it's normal in the manga so maybe no problem.
May 6, 2023 4:23 AM
Oct 2017
yvngdez5 said:

I agree. But also will extend my thoughts to all the characters. Personally, I didn't like any of them. For me, that's a huge problem, if I don't like any of them then I really don't care what happens to them. Most of the "surprising" or "shocking" developments in the story during season one meant absolutely nothing to me. I didn't feel for any of the characters. They were all worthless and tragic and maybe that's the point but if so, that's just depressing. Sorry, that's just my two cents worth.
May 6, 2023 6:28 AM
Jan 2023
yup most of them died in a single episode. If the creators have already planned to kill them then they should have streched a bit atleast till 3 episodes.
May 6, 2023 7:36 AM
Dec 2022
Igi2137 said:
They were any villians?

It was like 1 actual villain
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

994 by BlueSnow93 »»
Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 25, 2022

862 by TeaCharm »»
Jun 15, 5:36 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 6, 2022

582 by Laszek_ditlax »»
Jun 15, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 22, 2022

732 by Laszek_ditlax »»
Jun 15, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 15, 2022

592 by Laszek_ditlax »»
Jun 14, 6:32 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.