Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 »
Jun 25, 2021 2:04 PM
Dec 2016
WOW!!! Amazing!!! 10/10
Jun 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Oct 2018
I have never given a movie a 10/10 before. I ate through episodes of season 1 like a sugar-crazed child in a candy store, and then had my patience tested with the Endless Eight. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is simply the ultimate payoff. Having watched this movie TWICE, it is extremely hard for me to rate this as anything but a 10. God bless Kyoto Animation.

Jun 29, 2021 4:52 PM
Dec 2017
Yuki Nagato was by far the star of the movie.

Jul 28, 2021 10:03 AM

Aug 2020
The thing I love the most about this movie is the introverted version of Nagato. No wonder she gets the praise (also because of what this movie is about, lol).

Anyways for the movie itself, I'm pretty surprised that I didn't get bored one bit after watching a slow 2 hr. 42 min. film. As for my overall rating for the show, I enjoyed the heck out of it; however, I was expecting more since the movie is ranked 59 on Mal. Good thing I didn't keep my expectations too high.

Overall at highest, an 8 out of 10.

Edit: I have come to realize why I didn't get the whole experience. It's because starting from episode 3 of the endless eight arc, I skipped till the last moment to see if Kyon would stop Haruhi.
MaxiDennisJul 28, 2021 10:52 PM

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 30, 2021 4:29 PM

Dec 2017
You know, I'm still waiting for that sequel.
Aug 1, 2021 3:53 PM

Jan 2020
What an amazing movie. Art was better than ever and the whole unfamiliarity moments at the start was done so perfectly.

This was a perfect way to wrap up the series and I just love so much from this movie. The scene where kyon reunites with haruhi again is one scene in particular that sticks out.

I also love the winter/christmas theme (even though I finished this in summer on a hot day)

easily in the 9/10-10/10 range for me. I'm impressed

Aug 17, 2021 10:22 AM
Aug 2021
Finally watched this movie.

My only comment would be: plot hole at the ending: Kyon threatens the data organization to protect Yuki by saying that he will use Haruri against them.
BUT... Yuki just proved that even she alone has the means and power to neutralize Haruri and render her powerless so...this kinda contradicts how powerful she really is or how powerless the data entity would be against Kyon threats.
Just a thought.
Sep 22, 2021 5:52 AM

Mar 2018
I know i'm 11 years late but The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is the best animated movie i've ever seen

» Snowflake - Shihoko Hirata «
0:51 ─〇───── 4:54 ⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹  ↻

Traveler, Please enjoy your stay

Oct 2, 2021 11:36 PM
May 2019
I'm a time traveler from 11 years in the future. While I can't tell you what happens In the future besides the fact that I watched this on a mobile phone. I can tell you this movie was great.
Dec 18, 2021 4:51 AM

Mar 2020
Sorry but I didn't quite understand this, was it all a coma? The characters are good, the animation is perfect (KyoAni, of course), ok OST, but the plot.... thought there was going to be romance here, disappointed :/

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Dec 19, 2021 2:30 AM
Aug 2020
Endless_end said:
Sorry but I didn't quite understand this, was it all a coma? The characters are good, the animation is perfect (KyoAni, of course), ok OST, but the plot.... thought there was going to be romance here, disappointed :/
no it's real life, do you watch the ending when kyon talking to yuki?
Dec 19, 2021 2:30 AM
Aug 2020
Endless_end said:
no it's a real life, do you watch the ending when kyon talking to yuki?
Dec 19, 2021 2:41 AM

Mar 2020
bernkastelrika said:
Endless_end said:

I watched but still didn't comprehend it, can you explain better? And I'm not saying it's bad, it's just confusing for me.

- Okazaki, Tomoya
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Dec 19, 2021 2:48 AM
Aug 2020
Endless_end said:
bernkastelrika said:

I watched but still didn't comprehend it, can you explain better? And I'm not saying it's bad, it's just confusing for me.
watch this video analysis https://youtu.be/Hl1IDhqyd5E
Dec 19, 2021 2:51 AM

Mar 2020
bernkastelrika said:
Endless_end said:

watch this video analysis https://youtu.be/Hl1IDhqyd5E

Thanks, I'm kinda busy right now but definitely gonna check it later!

- Okazaki, Tomoya
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Dec 29, 2021 5:56 AM

May 2020
Well can't be a more perfect time watching this movie than this particular season. Certainly exceeded expectations i had after binging through the whole series, and ngl Yuki was the real bless this movie had.

A whole 166 minutes long and even then not for a single minute i felt a bit tired, so quiet evident the immense amount of appreciation it receives. So an easy 9/10 for me, nah 9.5 to be precise. Will definitely give a rewatch someday given the enjoyment i had from the whole series altogether.

Will miss for sure though:(
Feb 6, 2022 2:38 AM

Dec 2020
Ya definitely one of the best franchise anime movies I have seen.Everything about movie just too good.The foreshadowing was on the point and great conclusion,exceeded my expectations.
9/10

For your Information:

Mar 23, 2022 1:28 PM
Jul 2020
Apakah maksud adegan diakhir setelah lagu penutupan? Lalu, untuk yang membaca Manga, apakah Kyon dan Mikuru menikah? Aku penasaran dengan hal itu karena aku mendukung hubungan mereka.

Mar 23, 2022 1:29 PM
Jul 2020
What does the scene at the end after the closing song mean? Then, for those who read the Manga, are Kyon and Mikuru married? I'm curious about it because I support their relationship.

Mar 25, 2022 8:28 PM

Jan 2021
Shindz said:
What does the scene at the end after the closing song mean? Then, for those who read the Manga, are Kyon and Mikuru married? I'm curious about it because I support their relationship.
I think it’s something about not forgetting. The phrase “wasurenaide”, which translates to “do not forget” (used google translate so the translation might be rough), is sung at the end of each phrase of the song. Nobody is married. Even if Kyon were to marry somebody, I don’t think it would be Mikuru.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Apr 25, 2022 6:19 AM

Mar 2020
The original light novel haven't ended after almost 20 years lmao.
Love it!!!
nice
May 23, 2022 6:52 PM

Mar 2020
Mixed and underwhelmed on this one, probably because it took me two whole years to get around to on top of hearing all the praise people have for the movie as the peak of the series and all the times I've thought about the first season between then.

I'm curious about where this sits in the release of the novels because if this is as faithful an adaption as I'm inclined to believe it is, then holy shit did the series tank hard after the first novel. I figured the whole appeal of Kyon's character was as the sarcastic and composed straight man that he was made out to be in the first season, but for all of the second season and most of the movie he's been completely retarded. I lost my mind when Kyon started thrashing Taniguchi around after mentioning Haruhi's name and when he asked Mikuru to whip out her titties to verify the mole on one of them. They both seem like situations Haruhi would initiate before being shut down by Kyon. He also doesn't seem to understand why the Data Integration Thought Entity would decide on someone as unwavering and objective as Nagato to uphold it's principles? It's the entire point of her character, bro.

Fortunately, it picks up around the second half, which is also when it begins to recapture the spirit of the good shit from season 1. There's still some dumb stuff that pulls it down for me, like when Kyon started aggressively reiterating the point that he returned to his timeline because he liked Haruhi's company, how he belaboured injecting Nagato with the serum to allow for him to get shanked by Kyoko and how the entire movie was a coma (maybe not? I don't get that part), but other than that, I was having an alright time. Nagato having feelings and resetting the universe is also a complete shark jump if I've ever seen one. It's not the first or most flagrant time Haruhi has done it (I'm looking at you, The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya), but it's disappointing with how much of an existential threat the person behind it was made out to be. It really makes you wonder what the point of any of this was. Perhaps it was just doomed fundamentally by way of adapting something which was less than halfway into the novels as the big massive send-off to the series. There's a charm with how it ends unceremoniously as a result, but I can't help but be left wanting more answers.

I can't say I didn't get any feels from this, though, because I definitely did. A significant portion of it comes from the movie leaning towards being emotionally manipulative over having any compelling character drama, but a lot of it also comes from how the Haruhi franchise is a complete relic of the mid-2000s that has failed to go beyond or maintain any relevance in recent memory. It seems that everyone who was into this when it came out has moved on and lost interest, which is unfortunate, but I guess is how things should be. I'm sure I'll go down the same path, so I'd just like to pre-emptively say that I'm grateful for the first season and am glad I saw all of the KyoAni stuff through to the end.
May 25, 2022 2:15 PM

Aug 2014
This is for the whole anime (all 28 episodes and this movie):

Haruhi is a very entertaining anime. I can truly say that its very enjoyable, with its high energy, and its suspense moments, and great voice acting (Both original japanese dub and English dub). Even the Endless Eight episodes were enjoyable IF you only watch the first E8 episode, one of the middle E8 episode, and the last E8 episode.

But Haruhi anime is not perfect and it has a huge flaw, in that many moments the anime can get into a very dialogue-heavy moments which can make it a bit of a drag to watch. Thats why I always say that it is best to watch the Haruhi anime in English dub, to help you get through those dialogue-heavy moments.

Overall, its very surprising that this movie is the final Haruhi anime (true Haruhi anime, not the spin-off) that has been produced.  Its a damn shame.
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 1:11 AM
May 30, 2022 2:06 PM

Feb 2021
I didn't like the series at all but this movie was pretty good. Didn't even feel like almost 3 hours tbh
Jul 9, 2022 1:54 AM

Jun 2017
Like many people said, the movie is a huge step up from the first 2 seasons. It was totally worth the watch. 8/10.
Jul 12, 2022 12:23 PM

Nov 2018
Thank you, KyoAni
I hate everyone equally
Aug 1, 2022 1:07 PM
Aug 2019
I don't even know what to say. That was really damn good
Oct 29, 2022 9:54 PM

May 2022
After watching s1 & s2 I was worried if movie is the same, but no, it was worth watching them for movie. This was so good in every way, the animation was much better too.
Nov 18, 2022 6:31 AM

Oct 2021
This movie was simply beautiful, kyon x nagato yuki FTW. 10/10
Dec 18, 2022 3:20 AM

Jan 2013
Happy(?) Disappearance y’all!
Dec 28, 2022 12:04 AM
Dec 2022
my best time travelling anime so far
Dec 31, 2022 7:56 AM
Aug 2021
one pf the best. currently its 31/12/2022 11:55 PM best movie to watch on my last day of 2022. Happy new year
Jan 19, 2023 5:17 AM
Feb 2019
It seems a bit late because I just finished it after 13 years. 
But it is definitely the best movie compared to the past 2 seasons.
9/10
Jan 20, 2023 11:43 PM
Jan 2019
Increíble Película Me gusto de inicio hasta el final
Feb 27, 2023 2:45 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Good movie. Haruhi Suzumiya at its finest, fully worthy of being a movie. Was it worth having to watch the '2' seasons that lead up to this? Sure, I guess. I still don't get the connection between this and the endless eight though; I remember someone saying that watching the endless eight makes this movie even better. I don't exactly see why, other than perhaps feeling even more sympathy for Nagato. But that's besides the point, this movie was quite beautiful. The scene with Kyon and Nagato walking home together at night, with the all the cars passing by with the bright headlights shining on them as they drive past? Wow. The actual stakes in this film felt as high as they could be; I panicked as hard as Kyon was realizing the world that he knew had changed completely. And the snow at the end? Not just white dots on the screen- they went the extra length to allow you to see each individual snowflake. The detail in having the snow being melted on Kyon and Nagato's hands was a nice touch as well, being in direct contact with their body heat, while we see the snow on Kyon's hair and clothes still being as snow. Technically beautiful as expected from Kyoto animation, and emotionally moving throughout: every moment with Nagato, and of course Kyon looking over the side of his bed to see something which I think we haven't seen before previously: a sleeping Haruhi, staying by Kyon's side, waiting for him to wake up. 

Ok but now.... huh? What? How? Everything just got, fixed, just like that? Kyon is sent back to the moment where Nagato changes the world, but kind of just waits until she successfully changes the world again before injecting her with the magic serum? I guess the serum could work at any time? But they psycho-Asakura shows up and stabs Kyon, despite Nagato having already changed the world? Was this Asakura always psycho in the first place? Was she never effected by Nagato's world change? And what was her purpose again? Just to keep Nagato in check? And why'd Nagato want to change the world anyway? Has living for god knows how many centuries made her accumulate enough errors or whatever to cause her to want what she was experiencing, to be a part of the world she was observing? And then how is Kyon saved at the end? Some faceless guy speaking all cryptic shows up and picks up the serum, and does he inject Kyon with it? Could Kyon have shot himself all this time and fixed it just like that? Who is this mysterious guy? Another version of Kyon? And what happened to the world Nagato created, is it just deleted from history and replaced by Kyon simply falling down the stairs, pushed by, Nagato I guess? And now everything is good? Have I not been paying attention properly this entire time? Yeah probably. But it's okay. These questions are nitpicks. This movie is still pretty good and definitely deserves all the praise that it has gotten over the years. I will probably re-watch it in the distant future with better understanding, and most likely enjoy and appreciate it more. Maybe I'll watch an "explained" video if if there is one, and maybe boost my score up to an eight. For now, I'll keep it at a low-ish seven out of ten. Honestly one of the most elevating factors of this movie for me was the use of Gymnopedie No.1, by Erik Satie. Such a simple yet beautiful piece indeed.

7.3/10

edit: 

Nevermind all my questions, this video put my focus in the right place. This movie deserves no less than an 8/10 at least. 
BetaMaleUltraFeb 27, 2023 3:02 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 29, 2023 8:45 PM
Jun 2022
WOOOO- !!!

I'll be eternally grateful to Konata for recommending me this series!
And to Kyoto Animation, for doing a really nice drama (and also giving a compensation for that Endless Eight...) 
Apr 19, 2023 3:19 AM
Apr 2023
No reason , just I loved it.
May 24, 2023 3:49 PM
Jan 2022
This is my Favotite Movie
Jun 4, 2023 11:08 PM
Apr 2021
Really fun and enjoyable movie.
Jun 7, 2023 3:48 PM

Dec 2007
i will be honest, unfortunately or not, i had to watch the movie in 2 parts. meaning, i had business to do, important than anime (apparently) that i had to stop the movie kinda half way through. the last phase i got to hear before going was "i'm john smith".

damn.

and then i was, walking away to do important things and stuff.
on the way i got a lot of thinking about the movie, and the series as a whole.
as in the endless eight arc, this movie had been to make this whole anime more a riddle than storytelling show. it got me leading to think that the whole 28 episodes was more of spreading clues for kyon in this incident, rather than being anime. and it worked quite fine. but this also got me thinking, why there was need of endless eight from the first place?

the answer came after i returned home. ate dinner. only then i got to sit and see it through the rest of the movie.

damn.

i was left speechless.

and while i feel that the movie, like the series and it's broadcast order, wanted us to "think over what happened and solves it ourself". this movie should have more 20 minutes.
yes, this 2hr and 40min wasn't enough.
i want more mindfuking shit like this.
i want more of kyon messing up the time.
and i also wants more of nagato and kyon messing up with space and time.
i want more of this.

damn.

oh, there's serious lack in koizumi's asper stuff.
but i don't really care, i really hate this guy.

i also think the ending is a bit cliche.
but kyon said it himself.
but it was still perfect at any scale, and i don't want this to be different.

no!
i want 20 minutes more!

arg...

10/10
Jun 20, 2023 10:44 PM

Aug 2016
Back to the Future, except they go for the bad ending wich is living in a world where Haruhi ruins the day for everybody.
:v
Jul 12, 2023 2:46 AM

Jul 2021
damn i certainly didn't expect it to be this good. didn't like season 2 that much so had low expectations for this but boy was it good. even made me teary-eyed here and there.

still there's some stuff that i didn't understand like the act and reindeer part came outta nowhere, the last shot of yuki after credits, how did future kyon saved a dying kyon. also is it just me or did it seem like nagato has some feelings for kyon?everything's clear thanks to some explanations i read on reddit

really liked how everything was connected to season 1 in time travel sense. it was so good that the length didn't feel much at all. kyoani the GOAT. it really was worth watching the first 2 seasons just for this movie.

feels like a 10/10.
TsutanaiFuunJul 12, 2023 3:09 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 5, 2023 9:30 AM
Sep 2020
Good way to add a firm plot that ties up a lot from the tv series
Aug 31, 2023 5:13 PM

Jan 2020
TsutanaiFuun said:
damn i certainly didn't expect it to be this good. didn't like season 2 that much so had low expectations for this but boy was it good. even made me teary-eyed here and there.

still there's some stuff that i didn't understand like the act and reindeer part came outta nowhere, the last shot of yuki after credits, how did future kyon saved a dying kyon. also is it just me or did it seem like nagato has some feelings for kyon?everything's clear thanks to some explanations i read on reddit

really liked how everything was connected to season 1 in time travel sense. it was so good that the length didn't feel much at all. kyoani the GOAT. it really was worth watching the first 2 seasons just for this movie.

feels like a 10/10.
What you mean by "The act and reindeer part"? I don't remember anything like that in the film.

Future Kyon saving the dying Kyon is a plot point after the movie which actually never got animated since this anime won't ever receive a new season.
Before December 18th Nagato doesn't have feelings for Kyon since she is basically a machine without free will, but after the film everything changes.
By stripping her past self from all of her powers in order to make it impossible to change the world, she creates a paradox where she has to return to return to the past to erase her past self powers, making it impossible for her to do it in the future as well.
I'm reading the manga and yeah... they fucked up everything lol. Kyon itself isn't convinced by what happened.
Aug 31, 2023 10:17 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Pitto_
TsutanaiFuun said:

feels like a 10/10.
What you mean by "The act and reindeer part"? I don't remember anything like that in the film.

Future Kyon saving the dying Kyon is a plot point after the movie which actually never got animated since this anime won't ever receive a new season.
Before December 18th Nagato doesn't have feelings for Kyon since she is basically a machine without free will, but after the film everything changes.
By stripping her past self from all of her powers in order to make it impossible to change the world, she creates a paradox where she has to return to return to the past to erase her past self powers, making it impossible for her to do it in the future as well.
I'm reading the manga and yeah... they fucked up everything lol. Kyon itself isn't convinced by what happened.
@Pitto_ i won't lie i don't remember a single thing from that movie rn so i can't tell you anything. but if i wrote something about act and reindeer part then there must be something like that i think. maybe a small scene or something.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Dec 2020
Watched this years ago and recently I saw the spin off. Rewatching now makes me appreciate both even more.
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 AM
Feb 2023
just finished rewatching this movie. easily one of the best anime movies ever.
Dec 31, 2023 10:33 PM

Jan 2013
I've been watching this movie every year for the past 14 years. it hasn't gotten one bit worse over time. The best
Jan 26, 11:08 PM

Dec 2019
This movie was fucking peak. Not much to criticize it, the plot is great as always, truly enjoyed watching it. Can't believe it turns 14 years old this year.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Mar 2, 9:12 AM

Aug 2019
I am so glad Crunchyroll decided to make this available pretty much immediately after I had decided to start watching the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya lol

Loved every second of this movie, and I think it's a nice way to finish the series off since there really isn't much to watch when it comes to Haruhi from this point on, although I will watch that other series with Nagato soon, but I'm also kind of hesitant because once I do there really isn't anything left after that, and who knows if we'll ever get anything else ;_;

I'm really glad I decided to pick this series up though! Definitely one of my favorites, and I can totally see myself coming back to rewatch it all!
Pages (21) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite girl?

Shizuna - May 24

22 by Pitto_ »»
Jun 2, 5:19 PM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.