Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 14, 2022 11:10 PM

Feb 2020
(With all due respect this isn't any hate on this anime or any anime in particular. I'm enjoying the show so please be respectful, thank you!^^ )

Do we actually lowered our standards? CGI or Hand drawn animation?

This is a topic that came up recently, it was actually brought up because of Chainsaw man first episode and it made me wondering.. I myself doesn't really care about how studios are making their animes, but when it comes to quality and entertainment its really impairs the overall effects.

So what do you guys all think? I still gonna try and enjoy their new production (Chainsaw Man) but I really interested how do you all feels about this topic.

Thank you!

CyroseOct 15, 2022 12:28 AM

Oct 14, 2022 11:20 PM

Jun 2016
Our standards on CG are definitely rock bottom.
People are calling Attack on Titan S4's CG top tier even though even freaking Kill la Kill had better 3D action scenes 10 years before that.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 14, 2022 11:25 PM

Feb 2020
Theo1899 said:
People are calling Attack on Titan S4's CG top tier even though even freaking Kill la Kill had better 3D action scenes 10 years before that.

I feel the same, I actually just recently watched Kill la Kill and its animation is flawless. Old Animes were somehow able to use CGI but not for the reason to cut corners.

Oct 14, 2022 11:43 PM
Jun 2021
Cyrose said:
(With all due respect this isn't any hate on this anime or any anime in particular. I'm enjoying the show so please be respectful, thank you!^^ )

This is a topic that came up recently, it was actually brought up because of Chainsaw man first episode and it made me wondering.. I myself doesn't really care about how studios are making their animes, but when it comes to quality and entertainment its really impairs the overall effects.

So what do you guys all think? I still gonna try and enjoy their new production (Chainsaw Man) but I really interested how do you all feels about this topic.

Thank you!

I don’t hate CGI and I understand that when making an anime doing hand drawn is difficult. But I don’t think any studio has managed to perfect how to mend CGI and 2d together in a way that they should rely on. I just can’t unsee it when I watch something and its always during a fight or big scene which makes it even more obvious. I want to not care and like the CGI, but I look at something like Mob Psycho and I just like that style infinitely better. So I dislike CGI, but I won’t avoid a show because of it. Its just sad that so many big titles are being treated as test subjects for CGI
Oct 14, 2022 11:44 PM
Jan 2022
Noticeable CGI =/= BAD CGI

CGI isn’t cheap

The worst thing I have heard.
Infact all of the orange studio works are noticeable CGI if we go by your point.
The point is CGI always have a same frames which is 12fps if you need to blend well then animator’s need to switch to 1s , 2s , 3s and it’s a matter of talent when it comes to blending a constant frame cgi into 2D and chainsawman, Aots4pt2 did that well .

They didn’t opted CGI due to schedule but it was due to CGi also have a big scope in anime and it will be used more in future .

Ousama ranking which was whole 2D used CGi yes it did by using blender and Ep 21 whole fight was traced cgi models and backgrounds .
Chainsawman is a different thing they also used blender but yeah the chainsawman cgi head was questionable in one or two cuts but that doesn’t mean the whole fight was cgi when they excelled in blending 2d .
The used of CGI was just for 1 minute if I take every seen which was cgi and it was done in blender software which is more effective to pull difficult camera angle scenes while Ariel actions .

Don’t Agape when you see 2D for chainsawman vs bat devil .
Tamago006Oct 14, 2022 11:48 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2022 11:46 PM
Jun 2020
I don’t mind CG, I’d prefer if it was all hand drawn animation but I know in some cases that’s just not efficient. As long as it’s not jarring and super noticeable it’s fine to me though I do think it almost always looks worse than 2D. Unless it’s something like Beastars or Dorohedoro where it’s practically all CG, CSM was a mix of both and the switching between both made it look uglier despite the animation being pretty great
Oct 14, 2022 11:49 PM

Dec 2020
Doesn't matter if it's CGI or hand drawn unless it is animated well. Well I do agree CSM CGI was noticable but it was definitely not BAD or mediocre. It was rather good and re-watching the ep made me appreciate it even more.
Oct 15, 2022 12:26 AM

Mar 2021
CGI is now an animation standard and it is definitely not used to take shortcuts. I wont say CGI is easy to make or it can be made faster. Because such shortcuts just destroy the project. CSM cgi is just an example about how good they used cgi and how good they blended it with 2d. People who complain that the whole fight scene was cgi were completely fooled.
Oct 15, 2022 12:31 AM
May 2016
Then watch Houseki no Kuni and you will see how beautiful CGI can look like.

Noticing CGI doesn't mean it's bad. Look at, for example, KnY mugen train was CGI. You could easily tell and it looked perfectly fine.
The problem is not the noticing. It's when the two world cannot "work" together.
Oct 15, 2022 12:46 AM

Feb 2020
I am pretty sure those old anime if released in current times, u all will be the first guys to trash talk it.

No need to lower ur standard, u just need to move of to the next thing. If fact, u not dropping is it still what's lower ur standard rather than not complaining. So that's a irony in itself.

Anyways I don't care about CSM or it's cgi. So whatever i guess

Btw whenever Ghibli used Cgi it was trashed like no tommorow. So i guess ur better eg to be believable.
AdampkOct 15, 2022 12:54 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 15, 2022 12:50 AM

Aug 2022
It doesn't matter. Cgi has been used in anime since the 90's. With space opera series having very noticeable spaceship cgi, yet no one ever talks about that due to animation limitations during those years. Now we have reached a point, where cgi is used in literally every anime. Background designs, camera movements, very detailed monsters that are hard to replicate in 2D animation, and sometimes even for character designs.

The problem is ppl still think cgi usage is a shortcut these studios take, when it's not. Cgi is more expensive than hand-drawn animation, since it requires better technology and more recourses and knowledge. Is it done faster than 2D animation? Yes. However it's just as hard to pull off, if not harder.

Csm started production very late. I believe earlier this year, maybe at the end of last year. And may I remind you, MAPPA IS SOLO FUNDING THIS ENTIRE ANIME, THEY BOUGHT THE RIGHTS FROM SHUEISHA AND ARE PRODUCING IT ON THEIR OWN. Either way, we have already seen the 2nd episode preview, and there wasn't any cgi in it.

Another problem is, ppl don't know what cgi even looks like. A lot of scenes in episode 1, which fans consider to be cgi, are not. Most of episode 1 is 2D. Cgi was only used in a few sequences for Denjis transformation, and in a very short sequence for the zombies. But most of the fight was 2D.
StaleNutOct 15, 2022 1:02 AM
Oct 15, 2022 1:16 AM

Sep 2018
Cyrose said:

Thank you!

I'm probably unlike most people in that I think CGI can even enhance an anime or cutscene (if in a game) if its done really well. Especially with metalic or otherwise clearly manufactured objects like mechs, other vehicles, etc. So I definately think it can be good.

On the other hand due to the nature of CGI, low quality CGI is much more distracting from the experience then poorly drawn art is.
So its much more important to get it done right.

That said, I do think a lot of people simply dont like the idea of CGI, more so then that they have an issue with its quality.
Also, I think people are a lot more forgiving when it comes to having standards or critique, if the anime in question is highly popular.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Oct 15, 2022 1:40 AM
Apr 2022
Hand drawn will always be superior, but I guess to CM fans they prefer CGI lol.

Edit: SOOOO happy you brought up the pain vs Naruto fight. Animation is more than depicting realism, it can express emotions just the same but what is so meaningful is the fact that the artist weaves a piece that you can SENSE the emotion, even though it may just be blurs of colors and lines. I never understood the hate for the Naruto v Pain fight, and I don’t even follow Naruto at all, but that was spectacular animation. People here saying “it’s too hard” well guess what, you don’t have to depict it as if the manga has come to life; animators are problem solvers first and foremost, they have the ability and responsibility to construct ideas that will blend together well and will look fluid while moving. If you feel something is too hard, you adapt and brainstorm ways to allieviate the issue. CGI is a get out of work card that these studios pull to cheat quality. Sometimes it is good, but many times it is bad. CM deserved better.
thunderkitten13Oct 15, 2022 1:50 AM
Oct 15, 2022 2:28 AM
Sep 2020
Iloveggs said:
Noticeable CGI =/= BAD CGI

CGI isn’t cheap

The worst thing I have heard.
Infact all of the orange studio works are noticeable CGI if we go by your point.
The point is CGI always have a same frames which is 12fps if you need to blend well then animator’s need to switch to 1s , 2s , 3s and it’s a matter of talent when it comes to blending a constant frame cgi into 2D and chainsawman, Aots4pt2 did that well .

They didn’t opted CGI due to schedule but it was due to CGi also have a big scope in anime and it will be used more in future .

Ousama ranking which was whole 2D used CGi yes it did by using blender and Ep 21 whole fight was traced cgi models and backgrounds .
Chainsawman is a different thing they also used blender but yeah the chainsawman cgi head was questionable in one or two cuts but that doesn’t mean the whole fight was cgi when they excelled in blending 2d .
The used of CGI was just for 1 minute if I take every seen which was cgi and it was done in blender software which is more effective to pull difficult camera angle scenes while Ariel actions .

Don’t Agape when you see 2D for chainsawman vs bat devil .

To add to this totally agree but I think that has to do with more of studio oranges CGI is kinda like their specialty. Plus rather than using CGI to cut some corners like the industry does a lot currently they use it to blend or add to the animation. Like land of the lustrous is one of my all time favorites and their use of cgi was absolutely perfect for it.
Oct 15, 2022 2:33 AM

Aug 2022
Yeah modern fans definitely have, people are more interested in studios pumping out shows as quickly as possible rather than half decade or so waits for shows that have amazing quality with little to no cgi usage. Thus we have CSM lmao, and with it's popularity this is sadly going to influence anime as a whole going forward, at least to some degree.
Oct 15, 2022 3:10 AM

Dec 2020
well i mean with the improvement and common use of it we gotta get through this "bad cgi" for the future when it turns into "good cgi"
Oct 15, 2022 3:17 AM

Sep 2014
Puipui Molcar is better animated. They should have taken inspiration from it for making Chainsaw Man.
Oct 15, 2022 3:23 AM
Jan 2022
KryzakamiHrybami said:
Puipui Molcar is better animated. They should have taken inspiration from it for making Chainsaw Man.

It’s stop-motion animation and I don’t think anyone will prefer that for metallic chainsawman when you only do that shit for furrier shits .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2022 3:49 AM

May 2021
I prefer hand-drawn though I can understand the CGI for the chainsaw's whirring or spinning or whatever it's called. Chainsawin'?

Oct 15, 2022 4:07 AM
Apr 2022
NakanoMeeks said:
Yeah modern fans definitely have, people are more interested in studios pumping out shows as quickly as possible rather than half decade or so waits for shows that have amazing quality with little to no cgi usage. Thus we have CSM lmao, and with it's popularity this is sadly going to influence anime as a whole going forward, at least to some degree.

Exactly. People justifying this CGI are worse than people excusing Berserk 2016’s CGI. If they can get away with pumping that type of series out for cheap, they will, and it seems CSM fans are literally opening the floodgates for that to happen. Well, at least we had amazingly animated shows like Kill la Kill and Fate already...
Oct 15, 2022 4:33 AM
Sep 2020
Cyrose said:

Thank you!

That is not the point why it was terrible

Look at the episode again it was jarring

Difficult to look at

The compositing is terrible ,only some scenes are decent

But the main issue is that the fight was too dragged out ,Unlike another show called bleach where they didn't censor anything and went straight into it the music choice the compositing the details all are really well taken care of ,the animation was already great the voice acting was good but the music they nailed it

Thts did not happen in chainsawman ,it's as if MAPPA forgot about what chainsawman paving is supposed to be

But over here MAPPA make sthe blood feel like paint or ketchup,zombies don't have that much blood MAPPA made it seem that it's gore so it's awesome

They are missing the point of the fight itself

The Denji laugh was not needed ,t made him seem not like him
Oct 15, 2022 4:35 AM
Sep 2020
Theo1899 said:

Even Bleach had better use of CGI than MAPPA'S chainsaw man
Oct 15, 2022 4:49 AM

Sep 2020
Meh who cares the world might end soon anyway just enjoy some anime before it all blows up.
Lost my old account in the hacking accountpocalypse
Oct 15, 2022 12:49 PM

Sep 2014
Iloveggs said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

It’s stop-motion animation and I don’t think anyone will prefer that for metallic chainsawman when you only do that shit for furrier shits .

That's what I'm talking about. Fluffy chainsaw looks better than CGI chainsaw.
Oct 16, 2022 2:43 AM
Jan 2021
my answer is... who tf gives a shit
Oct 16, 2022 3:25 AM

Aug 2018
trexzyY said:
my answer is... who tf gives a shit
Apparently all of these clowns arguing.
Oct 16, 2022 3:55 AM

Nov 2020
Cyrose said:

Thank you!

With all due respect,

Your opinion is hot trash
CGI implementation isn't cheap at all, even more expensive than handrawn
Oct 16, 2022 3:59 AM

Aug 2018
yes, we should lower our standards

More topics from this board

» Crunchyroll awards

Naveen6662246 - Yesterday

12 by Merve2Love »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

987 by Johny_Hotbody »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 25, 2022

860 by RafaKojiro »»
May 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 18, 2022

1141 by Hasanzade_S »»
May 12, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 1, 2022

783 by xriceball26 »»
May 7, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.