Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Which one is better?
Oct 7, 2022 7:49 PM

Sep 2016
The manga is really funny with all the ironic chuuni and edgy moments without taking the le batman act seriously, but it seems this anime is adapting the Light Novel, which is almost always terrible.

You think this anime will be like Kumo Desu Ga? Both have amazing manga, but decided to adapt the dry and boring LN. the very reason Kumo ended up as a total failure of an adaptation.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 7, 2022 7:57 PM
Jan 2021
I think u just don’t like reading…
Oct 7, 2022 8:05 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah, because you seem like a completely unbiased source on the LN.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 7, 2022 8:07 PM

Mar 2021
LN adaptations are better than manga adaptations *in my opinion*.
they give a lot of liberty to experiment with different ways to animate a scene. I too didn't like LNs in the past, but Now, I enjoy reading LNs just as much as reading mangas.
Oct 7, 2022 8:19 PM
Nov 2021
V1P3R0P said:
LN adaptations are better than manga adaptations *in my opinion*.
they give a lot of liberty to experiment with different ways to animate a scene. I too didn't like LNs in the past, but Now, I enjoy reading LNs just as much as reading mangas.

In my opinion both are good
LN has more story to it than manga
Oct 7, 2022 8:30 PM

Oct 2021
Where's the "why not both" option?

Manga is doing a good job to visualize the comedy + adding exclusive jokes that could only work in a visual medium, however it stil left out some scenes & jokes.

As a fan, I just read both.
Oct 7, 2022 8:33 PM
Sep 2022
Even though I prefer the manga over the LN because of visual gags, I have to say that the anime did cid's characterisation better. In the manga he actually feels like a comedic relief character who is an unreliable narrator.
Oct 7, 2022 8:41 PM

Sep 2016
Anthony_mus said:
In the manga he actually feels like a comedic relief character who is an unreliable narrator.
And that's why it's good and unique. it's a funny comedy series, but it turns out the actual source material is actually a lame unironic edgy chuuni generic isekai series.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 7, 2022 8:47 PM

Feb 2021
Well it's finally time to use this image.

Manga adaptations of light novels are all trash and made for people who can't read.

+the Kumo Desu manga is complete trash, just look how bad that cover art is compared to the LN's
Oct 7, 2022 8:48 PM
Mar 2021
GangsterCat said:
The manga is really funny with all the ironic chuuni and edgy moments without taking the le batman act seriously, but it seems this anime is adapting the Light Novel, which is almost always terrible.

You think this anime will be like Kumo Desu Ga? Both have amazing manga, but decided to adapt the dry and boring LN. the very reason Kumo ended up as a total failure of an adaptation.

it's only 1 Episode wait and see. . . .
Oct 7, 2022 9:01 PM
Sep 2022
GangsterCat said:
Anthony_mus said:
In the manga he actually feels like a comedic relief character who is an unreliable narrator.
And that's why it's good and unique. it's a funny comedy series, but it turns out the actual source material is actually a lame unironic edgy chuuni generic isekai series.
Calling it 'lame' is subjective but I have to disagree with the 'unironic' part.
Oct 7, 2022 9:37 PM
Feb 2022
I think LN adaption is better, i didn't read of course but if the LN version is more serious i would definitely go with LN.

Oct 7, 2022 10:31 PM

Oct 2015
MadanielFL said:

Manga adaptations of light novels are all trash and made for people who can't read.

+the Kumo Desu manga is complete trash, just look how bad that cover art is compared to the LN's

That image is true though. I have not read WNs though, I only read LNs~

After reading LNs, I struggle adapting to manga illustrations. I was laughing so hard at Reign Of Seven Spellblades cover page, it looks cringe.
And manga can cut a lot of content from LN. Well, some anime also cut tons of content from LN (Toaru Majutsu No Index, Mushoku Tensei, Seirei Gensouki).

My advice to new readers is to start from J-Novel Club LNs then slowly move on to Yen Press or Seven Seas LNs. JNC LNs tend to be easier to read while most big titles tend to be translated by Yen Press.

The only downside to reading LN is waiting for a new volume, especially Yen Press. It took 10 months for Yen Press to translate Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten Volume 4. >_>
Well, JNC translate at a rate of one volume in 3 months~

I tend to prefer LN to manga as LN tends to have more engaging plot/characters. I still read some manga, but majority of them are spin-offs from big titles that are not adapted from LN. Some of my favourite mangas are Gundam Crossbone.
Oct 7, 2022 10:39 PM
May 2021
comedy part hasn't even started yet lol. From episode 2 they will come blowing in
Oct 7, 2022 10:40 PM
May 2021
and How tf Manga is losing the poll? manga was too good 😂😂 with awesome art style
Oct 8, 2022 4:34 AM

Mar 2013
I don't know about the LN but I really love the manga.
If LN was better than the manga, then I'll probably love it but I still haven't read the LN.

So my answer would be "either" and there's no option for that. ┐⁠(⁠ ⁠˘⁠_⁠˘⁠)⁠┌
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 8, 2022 4:47 AM

Sep 2018
GangsterCat said:
Anthony_mus said:

That's just straight up not true. The light novel isn't an "unironic edgy chuuni generic isekai series", it's a comedy of the same type as the manga. The jokes in the manga came from the light novel, with the only difference being the presence of a visual representation.
DeaneOct 8, 2022 4:56 AM
Oct 8, 2022 5:03 AM

Sep 2018
MadanielFL said:

To be honest, the only manga adaptation that I thought was on the same level as the light novel (and better in some aspects) was Tensura. The art is amazing and it has some incredible manga original chapters.

But aside from that particular case, I wholeheartedly agree.
+ yeah the kumo desu manga is absolutely terrible.
Oct 8, 2022 5:20 AM

Feb 2010
MadanielFL said:

if only sights to read LN were more readily available...
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 8, 2022 12:00 PM

Nov 2020
MadanielFL said:

Indeed. Manga adaptations of novels are almost always terrible.
Oct 9, 2022 1:50 AM
Feb 2020
GangsterCat said:

Bro, the manga for Eminence is almost 1:1 with the Light Novel lmao. The anime adapted a scene from further into the LN (where the manga hasn't gotten yet) because it chronologically fits into the story before Cid got isekai'd. Don't judge a light novel by the manga and anime adaptation when you haven't read it please, it makes you look like nothing short of an idiot. Also it's too early to judge considering this episode was from Akane's POV (the girl he saved), meanwhile all the funny bits are always from Cid's POV, which we've hardly gotten.
Oct 9, 2022 3:39 AM

Oct 2015
MadanielFL said:

Korean know how to adapt Novel better >>>>>>

On topic, I only read the manga but I kinda surprise Novel have this kind of stuffs. And I glad they put in of the 1st episode of anime.
Oct 9, 2022 3:51 AM
Apr 2018
MadanielFL said:

You are right about the Manga adaptations of light novels usually being trash (except eminence in shadow and tensura) but you didn't need to insult others. LN was harder to track, had low accessibility, and almost 80% of the human population didn't use English or Japanese. Pretty picture was easier to swallow than boring wall of text.
Oct 12, 2022 6:04 PM

Sep 2016
Surprise.
Episode 2 is also not funny and every joke and ironic moment are being played straight

Also surprise, Japan dislike too. But of course it's just le manga readers misinterpreting the LN right? or maybe the LN and the anime just sucked. hard.

GangsterCatOct 12, 2022 6:09 PM
CrossAnge

Oct 12, 2022 7:02 PM

Jan 2021
As an anime only, it’s really not that funny. It has its moments but hell, I laughed more at Overlord.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Oct 12, 2022 7:29 PM

Jan 2013
GangsterCat said:
Also surprise, Japan dislike too. But of course it's just le manga readers misinterpreting the LN right? or maybe the LN and the anime just sucked. hard.
I don't know why you have such a hate boner for the LN, they're doing a poor job adapting it, that's all there is to it. The manga is more over the top, almost gag comedy, so that would have probably been a smarter/easier direction to take the anime in, but the LN functions great as a black comedy fantasy in its own right. At the end of the day you only have the creators of the anime to blame here, not the source material.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 12, 2022 8:22 PM
Feb 2018
GangsterCat said:
Surprise.
Episode 2 is also not funny and every joke and ironic moment are being played straight

However i enjoy the anime, i think it's funny enough,
Or my taste is bad?
Oct 12, 2022 8:26 PM

Jan 2018
Lmao, Kumo Desu manga better than the LN. That’s the funniest shit I’ve ever read. Plus the adaptation didn’t flop, it was ultra popular in bilibili and surpassed even Re:Zero despite being made by a shitass studio with garbage animation.
Oct 12, 2022 8:26 PM

Oct 2013
Kumo was good and this is also good.
Oct 12, 2022 9:15 PM

Mar 2014
Kumo Desu manga was bad and incomplete adaptation, anime was a flop cuz the production/budget totally feel apart after episode 14, before, it was doing 100% fine. Flop in quality, still got lots of Bilibili views.

(Actually the vast majority of LN manga adaptations are a disaster, Eminence, Rakudai Kishi and Machine Doll being the ones who I respect and are worthy their franchises. The others I saw were terrible.)

And the novel is not "unironic edgy generic", they are just less over the top visually with the comedic part. Cid bullsh*tting on Alpha while looking around for clues to complete his nonsense was funnier than the manga version of that scene, at least to me.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Oct 13, 2022 12:55 AM

Aug 2018
Why would I ever vote in a poll like this? I may be breaking some news here, but this is an ANIME forum. Go find a manga or ln forum and ask them.

ghoulcustomer said:
Kumo was good and this is also good.

Kumo was a great anime, pay no attention to trolls who say otherwise.
NoviSunOct 13, 2022 12:58 AM
Oct 13, 2022 8:08 AM
Nov 2018
Spicelit said:
As an anime only, it’s really not that funny. It has its moments but hell, I laughed more at Overlord.

The joke here is that it's supposed to be the exact same type of humor as Overlord. Overlord just goes hard on the funny moments and so far this one is going really subtle or playing it straight.

Cid is exactly the same type of "bumble into crazy situations and somehow win" character as Ainz. Granted the latest season of Overlord has done something similar with how much it skips Ainz' monologues.
Oct 16, 2022 2:03 AM
Nov 2020
I definitely did not connect with the character from the anime, I prefer the manga, it has more personality and the comedy makes it more authentic

More topics from this board

» Hyped for the Movie!!?

Apratim - May 26

28 by Sayan_Pal »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

750 by Sayan_Pal »»
Yesterday, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

259 by PrimeX »»
Yesterday, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2023

130 by Sayan_Pal »»
Yesterday, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

122 by PrimeX »»
Yesterday, 7:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.