Forum Settings
Forums

Being able to track and view our submitted contributions to the database.

New
Apr 21, 2021 1:14 AM
Mar 2019
I have made a few database submissions and contributions, just wondering if we could have the feature to view it and also be able to track it’s status.
Apr 21, 2021 1:19 AM

Aug 2012
That'd be a cool feature.
Apr 21, 2021 1:35 AM

Jan 2009
there was a feature like that here https://myanimelist.net/profile/deg/contributions but now it says "Only moderators can view this page."
Apr 21, 2021 2:37 AM
Mar 2019
deg said:
there was a feature like that here https://myanimelist.net/profile/deg/contributions but now it says "Only moderators can view this page."

damn, that's unfortunate . i made a database contribution for a extremely popular webtoon that isn't in the database and i just hoped i could just keep track or even be able to preview what i submitted lol
Apr 21, 2021 7:11 AM

Apr 2017
It would be super nice to have that, I add a lot of character descriptions and stuff, so it'd be cool to see if/when they're approved.

Even if helping people is easy,
asking for help is a hurdle of it's own.
Kaoru Gojou

May 9, 2021 9:34 AM

Oct 2017
They used to have that but they got rid of it. I really am trying to see if my Beyblade contributions got added as a lot of characters were missing images and bios as well as their nicknames and alternate language names
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 9, 2021 11:00 AM

Mar 2015
+1 I wish they'd bring it back.
Aug 27, 7:59 AM

Aug 2017
I agree, that would be cool. Is there any known reason why the feature was restricted to mods?
https://myanimelist.net/profile/St0rmblade/contributions
Aug 27, 10:41 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to St0rmblade
I agree, that would be cool. Is there any known reason why the feature was restricted to mods?
https://myanimelist.net/profile/St0rmblade/contributions
@St0rmblade
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=1697935&id=53842034
It was restricted after The Great MAL Outage.
Aug 27, 11:41 AM

Jun 2021
You can also check this thread: Improvements to adding things to the Database. A m0d replied there, they mentioned something about the code being "not ready for public release" if I remember correctly (like what's written in the m0d edit in the thread shared by Kwan above), but they deleted their comment. LOL. I should've used Quote and saved the page to the Wayback Machine. Haha.

From the [In Progress] Improved Viewing of Pending Database Entries thread:
"Many years ago, a system like the one you are describing was started. It is not complete and the code surrounding it has not been developed further. Since there are many bugs in the system (example: 'Denied' actually being 'Accepted'), the system is not public. Please do not share information on how to access it as this will only cause misunderstandings between users and moderators. To keep this thread from being bumped by users asking how to access it, I will lock the thread.

We too hope to have some kind of system like this for improved user-moderator communications in the future."

I doubt they will let the contributions page be viewable by users again (not even our respective contributions page) unless the devs work on it. Their stance on improving the submission forms are kinda the same (See: Add a section for sources when making a submission.) which is a bummer.

In AniList, users can view the status of their submissions thru the Submissions tab in their profile (https://anilist.co/user/USERNAME/submissions). They have different tabs on the sidebar of that page for Anime, Manga, Characters and Staff submissions too. So it's organized and not cluttered unlike the notifs we receive in our inbox here. I have to go over multiple pages and use Ctrl+F to find stuff in my inbox most of the time.

They have nicer submission forms too (example: https://anilist.co/edit/anime/140960). You can add general info, images, characters, staff, studios, relations, external links, sources, etc. all in the same form as the Data Fields on the sidebar has all these:
General
Images
Characters
Staff
Studios
Relations
External Links
Revision History
Entry Page
Submission sources & notes

They even have their submission manual linked on the submission forms for convenience.
Probably, the only thing I don't like is they only add one PV per entry. So how about entries which have various PVs and whatnot? The PVs get overwritten with whatever they approve then.
Anyhow, you don't have to open different forms just to make a submission or edit.

Related:
Is there a way to check the status of my submissions/edits?
Streamlining character submissions.

P.S. I feel like they might lock this thread later on as well. 😅
IridescentJauneAug 27, 11:44 AM
Aug 27, 12:27 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to IridescentJaune
You can also check this thread: Improvements to adding things to the Database. A m0d replied there, they mentioned something about the code being "not ready for public release" if I remember correctly (like what's written in the m0d edit in the thread shared by Kwan above), but they deleted their comment. LOL. I should've used Quote and saved the page to the Wayback Machine. Haha.

From the [In Progress] Improved Viewing of Pending Database Entries thread:
"Many years ago, a system like the one you are describing was started. It is not complete and the code surrounding it has not been developed further. Since there are many bugs in the system (example: 'Denied' actually being 'Accepted'), the system is not public. Please do not share information on how to access it as this will only cause misunderstandings between users and moderators. To keep this thread from being bumped by users asking how to access it, I will lock the thread.

We too hope to have some kind of system like this for improved user-moderator communications in the future."

I doubt they will let the contributions page be viewable by users again (not even our respective contributions page) unless the devs work on it. Their stance on improving the submission forms are kinda the same (See: Add a section for sources when making a submission.) which is a bummer.

In AniList, users can view the status of their submissions thru the Submissions tab in their profile (https://anilist.co/user/USERNAME/submissions). They have different tabs on the sidebar of that page for Anime, Manga, Characters and Staff submissions too. So it's organized and not cluttered unlike the notifs we receive in our inbox here. I have to go over multiple pages and use Ctrl+F to find stuff in my inbox most of the time.

They have nicer submission forms too (example: https://anilist.co/edit/anime/140960). You can add general info, images, characters, staff, studios, relations, external links, sources, etc. all in the same form as the Data Fields on the sidebar has all these:
General
Images
Characters
Staff
Studios
Relations
External Links
Revision History
Entry Page
Submission sources & notes

They even have their submission manual linked on the submission forms for convenience.
Probably, the only thing I don't like is they only add one PV per entry. So how about entries which have various PVs and whatnot? The PVs get overwritten with whatever they approve then.
Anyhow, you don't have to open different forms just to make a submission or edit.

Related:
Is there a way to check the status of my submissions/edits?
Streamlining character submissions.

P.S. I feel like they might lock this thread later on as well. 😅
IridescentJaune said:

I can't stand anilist's interface and it relies too much on javascript afaik. I wish MAl just stepped up their work on the DB since I find its UI the best out of all database sites, even though I have my suggestions for improvements.

Post from 6 years ago...they surely are taking their time in developing site features lol
Aug 27, 12:47 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to St0rmblade
IridescentJaune said:

I can't stand anilist's interface and it relies too much on javascript afaik. I wish MAl just stepped up their work on the DB since I find its UI the best out of all database sites, even though I have my suggestions for improvements.

Post from 6 years ago...they surely are taking their time in developing site features lol
@St0rmblade I'm not saying I like AL's UI in particular or their site in general. It's just that I haven't submitted anything in other DBs beside MAL and AL so I've no other comparison. I'm just sharing that they have more organized submission forms as well as viewable submissions page on user profiles which MAL has to improve on.
Aug 27, 1:01 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to St0rmblade
IridescentJaune said:

@St0rmblade
aka, it's not being developed. I really hope I'm wrong, but this should be a standard feature for any website that relies on user contributions. It doesn't need to be anything fancy initially either, just log the edits on a new page, add notifications for more activities, and route them all here instead of your inbox. This will motivate more people to contribute, increase transparency between users and mods on what is/isn't pending, and let us clean up our inboxes. I'm pretty sure the whole queue/submission system needs an overhaul though, as I've been told the moderator tools on the backend are a bit of a mess. However, I guess this isn't a priority, since it's not really a flashy update. As long as you can access the site and log/talk about whatever's popular, that keeps most people happy.
Aug 27, 8:11 PM

Jun 2020
Hopefully they let us see again soon. I've done a lot of contributions for some of my favorite manga :p
Aug 29, 9:37 AM

Feb 2016
Most of the corrections I submitted forever ago have not been implemented. I wonder why?
その目だれの目?
Aug 29, 2:24 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to Lucifrost
Most of the corrections I submitted forever ago have not been implemented. I wonder why?
@Lucifrost most likely they just got forgotten somewhere in the queue. Maybe we should try to change the system from within... :)
St0rmbladeAug 29, 2:46 PM

More topics from this board

» Timezone and default to UTC

nahgito - Jul 5

4 by Charmeleon480 »»
Aug 30, 12:38 AM

» "Source" filter in anime search

lapampam - Aug 27

0 by lapampam »»
Aug 27, 12:04 PM

» So when can we universally change display names to English?

Nyron - Jun 27, 2023

14 by dragula88 »»
Aug 27, 11:25 AM

» Some Minor QoL for Manga/Anime Entries

Roth - Aug 27

0 by Roth »»
Aug 27, 12:56 AM

» review rule over 18 ( 1 2 )

SteelingMax - Aug 11

52 by SteelingMax »»
Aug 25, 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.