Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2021 10:40 AM

Jan 2017
So what is your 'Shonen' taste,
the dark and gritty series like Jujutsu Kaisen, KNY;
the light-hearted ones filled with adventure like One Piece, Fairy Tail, Magi, Toriko;
the sci-fi ones like Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, World Trigger;
the battle-centric ones like Bleach, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Reborn!;
..the list is perpetual.
What is your ideal Shonen supposed to be?

P.S. The ones I've mentioned are mostly the publications of Shonen Jump, other publisher answers are also welcome.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2021 10:47 AM

Mar 2018
My top 3 shounens are hxh, Haikyuu and death note but they’re all essentially the same in why I like them. And that’s the characters so I guess I don’t really care about what the setting/tone is like as long as the characters are unique/well developed
DaokoscakeApr 2, 2021 10:57 AM
Apr 2, 2021 10:51 AM

Jun 2016
Dragon ball remains my favorite WSJ anime so my taste hasn't changed much since forever ago.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 2, 2021 10:53 AM

Jan 2017
Kaliyahscake said:
I don’t really watch shounen and I can’t really count Haikyuu as a shounen since it is mostly sports centered. But I’d say dark and gritty since I love HXH

Haikyu is Shonen!
A mistake from my end, I completely forgot about the sports category.
HxH is a cult classic in my opinion, it is shonen but feels completely different from the other completed/ongoing shonens.
Apr 2, 2021 10:54 AM

Jan 2017
Theo1899 said:
Dragon ball remains my favorite WSJ anime so my taste hasn't changed much since forever ago.

Dragon Ball was an inspirational one for me.
But,
My all time favorite has been One Piece!
I'll definitely be dropping the Shonen genre whenever One Piece ends, the current shonen aren't that much exciting for me anymore. I think it was the 'Adventure' in One Piece that gave me the thrills in every new arc.
Apr 2, 2021 10:55 AM

Mar 2018
PirateHasan said:
Kaliyahscake said:
I don’t really watch shounen and I can’t really count Haikyuu as a shounen since it is mostly sports centered. But I’d say dark and gritty since I love HXH

Haikyu is Shonen!
HxH is a cult classic in my opinion, it is shonen but feels completely different from the other completed/ongoing shonens.
It’s just that a lot of the shounen you listed were battle ones. Like you didn’t even list death note so I thought you meant the main type of shounen
Apr 2, 2021 10:58 AM

Nov 2015
Shonen isn't really my cup of tea. I generally get bored of them pretty easily but Jujutsu Kaisen was okay I guess. Food Wars was fine too.

Kaliyahscake said:

Shounen is technically not a genre, it's a demographic. Haikyuu is a shonen sports anime so it counts as a shonen. Unless we want to use shonen as a catch all for over the top action anime I suppose, but that's not the official use for the term.
Apr 2, 2021 10:59 AM

May 2019
All of them tbh. I'm just another Shonen fanboy I guess. Among the ones that you've mentioned, the only shows that I'm not a fan of are Toriko, Dr. Stone and TPN season 2 (season 1 was amazing tho).
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Apr 2, 2021 10:59 AM

Jan 2017
Kaliyahscake said:
PirateHasan said:

Haikyu is Shonen!
It’s just that a lot of the shounen you listed were battle ones. Like you didn’t even list death note so I thought you meant the main type of shounen

Yeah,
I get it...there are tons of shonen in the market,
I didn't know which tag Death Note was; Supernatural, Thriller, Sci-fi, that's why avoided it in the list.
Apr 2, 2021 11:00 AM

May 2019
Battle-centered and light-hearted at once! Like Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter etc. The perfect combination.
Apr 2, 2021 11:00 AM
Jan 2021
boku no pico....well tbh i can't decide maybe one piece and gintama....
Apr 2, 2021 11:03 AM

Jun 2020
"Light hearted ones like promised Neverland"
I wouldn't have agreed with you after S1, but after S2 - Yes. It's so light - there is absolutely nothing in it.
Apr 2, 2021 11:05 AM

Jun 2020
I personally enjoyed almost all the shounen anime you mentioned. Even though I think HxH is the best of the lot, my personal favourite would be One Piece and KnY (mainly coz the music is so good).
Apr 2, 2021 11:07 AM

Jun 2020
It's been about half an hour since the thread was created and I still don't see the guy who trashes HxH or - "Huntrash x Garbage".
Apr 2, 2021 11:08 AM

Jan 2017
No_Name_Devil said:

ermm Boku no pico....you do mean Boku no Hero Academia, right?
Apr 2, 2021 11:10 AM

Jan 2017
Amoh25 said:
All of them tbh. I'm just another Shonen fanboy I guess. Among the ones that you've mentioned, the only shows that I'm not a fan of are Toriko, Dr. Stone and TPN season 2 (season 1 was amazing tho).

I'm not sure if you know, but the Manga of TPN is great, you should be reading that. Lots of content from the manga has been skipped for Season 2, that's why you'll be seeing tons of negative reviews for TPN s2.
Apr 2, 2021 11:11 AM

Apr 2020
My favorites are Boku no Hero and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, Dragon Quest is a big candidate to be my favorite shounen of all times.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube

Jan 2017
Mr_Srijan said:
I wouldn't have agreed with you after S1, but after S2 - Yes. It's so light - there is absolutely nothing in it.

Lol,
I feel bad for TPN anime watchers.
But I didn't mention TPN as light-hearted one.

Jul 2019
Currently reading 4 shonen manga:Black Clover,MHA,One Piece and JJK so mixed I think ideal one would be Black Clover I love that,such a shame anime ended

Aug 2020
I love all of them tbh. My favorite is hunter x hunter because it’s world, characters, and plot are amazing. But I usually like all types of shonen.
Apr 2, 2021 11:12 AM

Nov 2019
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (parts 1-6)
Rurouni Kenshin
Attack on Titan
One Piece
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter x Hunter
Dororo
Naruto
Death Note
Yu-Gi-Oh

My 10 favorite Shonen currently. So I seem to enjoy a combination of battle-centric, light-hearted stuff, and/or the darker grittier ones.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
The 50 Anime You Should Watch Before You Die
Apr 2, 2021 11:12 AM

Jan 2017
karemi_ said:
Battle-centered and light-hearted at once! Like Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter etc. The perfect combination.

Nothing beats those two in the action side, even though the scales towards HxH are heavier than DB.
Apr 2, 2021 11:13 AM

Jun 2020
PirateHasan said:
Mr_Srijan said:

Lol,
I feel bad for TPN anime watchers.
But I didn't mention TPN as light-hearted one.

Oh yeah. I didn't read it carefully.
Apr 2, 2021 11:14 AM

Jan 2017
AcD4c said:
My favorites are Boku no Hero and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, Dragon Quest is a big candidate to be my favorite shounen of all times.

Great, looks like Dragon Quest seems cool.
I haven't watched Dragon Quest, will definitely see it now!
Thanks for the recommendation.
Apr 2, 2021 11:17 AM

Jan 2017
Mr_Srijan said:
It's been about half an hour since the thread was created and I still don't see the guy who trashes HxH or - "Huntrash x Garbage".

Lol, what's this about?
Who in their sane minds will call HxH as garbage!
Apr 2, 2021 11:17 AM

Jan 2008
My answer to this is yes. Just yes.

I like all types of shounen
Apr 2, 2021 11:18 AM

Mar 2021
Th Sci fi ones are my picks . Rest are average and below average except a few .

Jan 2017
UberBat said:

Not to sound rude but.....even Fairy Tail?

Oct 2010
battle centric and ecchi centric, also the characters need to look cool and kinda mature looking (bleach style), no lolis in my shonen
Apr 2, 2021 11:20 AM

Jan 2008
PirateHasan said:
UberBat said:

Not to sound rude but.....even Fairy Tail?

Not seen Fairy tail. I do like light hearted shounen like One Piece and Gintama though.
Apr 2, 2021 11:21 AM

Nov 2019
whatever gintama comes under i guess it covers almost most of the types u mentioned well aside from that something dark and gritty like jjk is nice
Jul 2018
mood ig, I might watch something light hearted today and end up watching something really edgy after a night's sleep.

idk what to consider ideal, but if it's something I can keep rewatching then it's gotta be gintama. a good blend of intensity and comedy. and nice forum pic.
Jul 2018
My current favourite is oddly enough Blue Lock, I didn't think I would like it this much when I started it.
Apr 2, 2021 11:22 AM
Jan 2021
PirateHasan said:
No_Name_Devil said:

ermm Boku no pico....you do mean Boku no Hero Academia, right?
right,right*cough* *cough*....(just filling space coz i need 30 characters -ignore)
Apr 2, 2021 11:22 AM

Jan 2017
Yeager_Bomb said:
Th Sci fi ones are my picks . Rest are average and below average except a few .

Recommend some Sci-Fi shonens.
The only Sci-Fi ones I've seen are Dr. Stone and TPN. Most of the Sci-Fi are seinen categorized.
Apr 2, 2021 11:24 AM
Jul 2018
I would say the battle-centric ones like Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Black Clover, etc.
Apr 2, 2021 11:27 AM

Dec 2015
I just want it to be fun and interesting.

I can't watch Bleach anymore, even if it was a favorite back in the days I hate the Anime now thanks to how slow the pacing it, it's killing the show.
The pacing is far to slow vs the manga.

I have a few battle shounen in my favorites and they are there because they had what I'm looking for in a Anime.

I can like everything as long as I think it's fun and interesting so it's up to the plot and characters if i will like it or not.

Apr 2, 2021 11:27 AM

Jan 2017
Catalano said:
battle centric and ecchi centric, also the characters need to look cool and kinda mature looking (bleach style), no lolis in my shonen

Bleach Brave Souls,
The only shonen game in my Android right now because of the amazing character designs given by Tite Kubo. That guy will make a straight man fall for male characters the way he designs them.

Apr 2, 2021 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
Out of those, I would say Magi, Bleach and Reborn! I also like JoJo and Aot!!
Apr 2, 2021 11:31 AM

Sep 2018
After Jojo and Hunter x Hunter I can't seem to like the most recent battle shounen.
My favourite shounen from the last few years: Saiki K, Beastars, Keijo, Maoujou de Oyasumi, Munou no Nana
Apr 2, 2021 11:32 AM

Jan 2017
Nillwas said:

I can't watch Bleach anymore, even if it was a favorite back in the days I hate the Anime now thanks to how slow the pacing it, it's killing the show.

I have a few battle shounen in my favorites and they are there because they had what I'm looking for in a Anime.

I can like everything as long as I think it's fun and interesting so it's up to the plot and characters if i will like it or not.

I get your concern, most of the shonen animes of the previous decade had awfully slow pacing or unlimited amounts of filler. With the attention span and competition of the current times, shonens nowadays adapt a lot of manga material for each episode.
Can't deny the slow pacing, but do give Bleach time.
These animes have defined the lives of most of 90s born kids.

Sorry I might have gotten sentimental.
Apr 2, 2021 11:34 AM

Jan 2017
Catalano said:

Ecchi centric, nice!
I too dislike lolis, but there hardly are any in most of the shonen series.
Apr 2, 2021 11:34 AM

Dec 2015
PirateHasan said:
Nillwas said:

I get your concern, most of the shonen animes of the previous decade had awfully slow pacing or unlimited amounts of filler. With the attention span and competition of the current times, shonens nowadays adapt a lot of manga material for each episode.
Can't deny the slow pacing, but do give Bleach time.
These animes have defined the lives of most of 90s born kids.

Sorry I might have gotten sentimental.

"I can't watch Bleach anymore, even if it was a favorite back in the days" <- wrote that too ;)

Apr 2, 2021 11:36 AM

Sep 2020
Ashita no Joe, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Jojo's are my currently favourites. I can add One Piece but only until Marineford
Apr 2, 2021 11:36 AM

Jan 2017
OniiChanlol said:
Out of those, I would say Magi, Bleach and Reborn! I also like JoJo and Aot!!

Interesting picks, but AoT isn't categorized as shonen. It's too dark, gritty and trauma inducing to be called a shonen
Apr 2, 2021 11:37 AM

Aug 2018
I'd prefer darker Shounens like jujutsu Kaisen, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Chainsaw Man. I don't believe in Power of friendship and Talk no jutsu. I like the anime where the author wouldn't mind killing the characters for the sake of the plot.
Apr 2, 2021 11:38 AM

May 2019
PirateHasan said:
karemi_ said:

Nothing beats those two in the action side, even though the scales towards HxH are heavier than DB.

Not only! Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man and JoJo also have one of my fav action scenes in anime, if we're talking about it <3
Apr 2, 2021 11:38 AM

Jan 2017
mramirezh said:
Ashita no Joe, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Jojo's are my currently favourites. I can add One Piece but only until Marineford

I haven't watched Ashita no Joe. You must have read/watched Ippo too?
Apr 2, 2021 11:40 AM

Nov 2018
My ideal one can be described in two words: Dragon Ball.

My taste in general depends on the execution. For example, I'm not a fan of the two you mentioned as dark and gritty, but it doesn't mean I dislike that kind precisely because I love Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan, both truly dark and gritty in my opinion.

Also looking forward the current Shaman King (2021) as it's one of my favorite Shounen manga. I'd say it's filled with adventure and heavily character-driven, which allows fights and conflicts to be meaningful.
Apr 2, 2021 11:41 AM

Jan 2017
NeonDeviluke09 said:
I'd prefer darker Shounens like jujutsu Kaisen, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Chainsaw Man. I don't believe in Power of friendship and Talk no jutsu. I like the anime where the author wouldn't mind killing the characters for the sake of the plot.

These ones you mentioned are definitely darker, but I do not understand how these ones got accepted in Shonen Jump. Generally the shonens don't depict such violence and killings because of the age demographic.
I guess the times are changing!!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ☀️Summer 2024: Anime of the Season (AOTS) & Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

nirererin - Oct 9

136 by WaterMage »»
8 minutes ago

» Any other Retro Anime watchers only? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - May 30

79 by Deathko »»
18 minutes ago

» weirdly specific trope that you love ?

ame - Oct 12

46 by KillerWatts »»
57 minutes ago

» Would you be happy if any of your favorite characters twerked / shook their ass?

IpreferEcchi - Oct 13

27 by KillerWatts »»
59 minutes ago

» Do you consider yourself a "decadentist" towards certain aspects of anime?

thewiru - 2 hours ago

7 by raviwe »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.