Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2020 7:37 PM
Jul 2018
It's interesting to me how they got to the people they are now...
May 21, 2020 7:43 PM

Jan 2009
because anime chooses us we are the chosen ones

but kidding aside just local TV airing anime in the 90s
May 21, 2020 7:44 PM

Jun 2019
First anime i ever watched, when i was a kid, was Doraemon (although i didnt know it was an anime at the time). Then a friend introduced me to Naruto and i discovered more anime.

بابر بہ عیش کوش کہ عالم دوبارہ نیست

Babur bah aish kosh keh alam dobarah nist.
O' Babur, enjoy yourself to your heart’s content, as there is little chance of your coming to this world again.
May 21, 2020 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Most Americans born in the 90s will say Pokemon and/or Toonami.
May 21, 2020 7:50 PM

Jan 2020
I don't remember how or why though
But I clearly remember my first anime being Deathnote and that just blew me away.
That one show, within its first 3 episodes, got me hooked to this thing called "anime"
May 21, 2020 7:51 PM
May 2020
my older brother put me on digimon adventure and it went downhill from there
May 21, 2020 8:05 PM
Dec 2018
Og dragonball and sailor moon when I was young (on tv). Then obv dbz, zoids, yugioh, Naruto in that order all dubs. Found about about subbed anime from a friend in wow and started watched naruto/shippuden, then downhill from there :/
May 21, 2020 8:06 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I didn't realize there was a difference (that wasn't just stylistic) between American, European and Japanese (nowadays Asian) animation until my teenage yrs.

Chronologically the first anime I seen were Calimero and Alfred J Quack (if my parents are to be believed). After that... if I remember correctly they were Pokémon, Sailor Moon, Shin-chan, Flint the Time Detective and Digimon.
There's probably more but my memory doesn't go that far back.

As for the teenage years, I was on the lookout for episodes of a show of which the final season was still being translated (second language person here) when I found a variety of shows called "anime" which caught my attention and ever since it's been a downward spiral into this entertainment abyss.
May 21, 2020 8:10 PM

Apr 2020
I had a weeaboo lab partner during my organic chemistry lab class in my freshman year of college. It all went downhill from there. Thankfully, I have yet to become a weeaboo but I'm a filthy degenerate. Hard to believe I was once a normal human being.
May 21, 2020 10:17 PM

Jul 2019
Back in 2018, my friend told me that watching a particular series could help me with some of my personal problems. And it worked.
May 21, 2020 10:26 PM

May 2020
A friend introduced it to me I think. Or I might have discovered manga and gotten into anime that way.
May 21, 2020 11:16 PM

Jun 2016
Anime was on TV when I was kid and also when my dad was kid so he showed me a few shows that weren't airing at the time.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 21, 2020 11:17 PM

Jun 2019
In the early 2000s things like Naruto and Pokemon were crazy with everybody at school. Also Avatar was a huge hit but i don't know if that is an anime or not.
May 21, 2020 11:21 PM

May 2019
I started by watching Naruto and here i am now, watching futanari and bondage hentai. (not complaining tho, i love those).

May 21, 2020 11:24 PM
May 2020
My dad watched it first, he grew up with anime. He watches more anime than I do!
May 21, 2020 11:24 PM
May 2020
My dad watched it first, he grew up with anime. He watches more anime than I do!
May 21, 2020 11:26 PM
May 2020
IgawaAsagiLover said:
I had a weeaboo lab partner during my organic chemistry lab class in my freshman year of college. It all went downhill from there. Thankfully, I have yet to become a weeaboo but I'm a filthy degenerate. Hard to believe I was once a normal human being.
Mood lol
May 21, 2020 11:27 PM

Aug 2016
I was really young sneaking in some tv after bedtime on school nights and watched some random episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood dubbed, I had no idea what I was watching until a few years later, but it was cool.
May 21, 2020 11:36 PM

Dec 2014
My fiancé has been watching anime since the 90s when I met him back in 2013 he showed me anime I didn't like it at 1st if I am honest I never really gave it a proper chance it looked to me like kids cartoons and then in 2014 I gave it a proper chance and I have been hooked ever since
May 22, 2020 12:19 AM

Oct 2019
I think I grew up watching dragon ball Kai on Nicktoons, but I’ve asked so many people if they remember Dragon ball being on Nicktoons and no one I’ve asked rememberers, so it might have been Toonami.
May 22, 2020 2:14 AM
RevengeCountdown

Mar 2019
i used to watch dragon ball and yugioh and classics like that but then i discovered that there is more episodes of dragon ball when i grew up a bit and yeah i searched from there and ended up watching other anime
EMT

May 22, 2020 2:31 AM

Apr 2019
it started to with studio ghibli and then netflix offered some more anime and i was hooked

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
May 22, 2020 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
I guess anime is just around when i was a kid watching TV, and is popular for the highschoolers is hard not to know what anime is.
May 22, 2020 2:36 AM

Nov 2018
I discovered what anime is about when I was surfing watchcartoononline and got recommended series like JoJo, Rewrite and the Kizu movie trilogy. Then I found about MAL and thus begun my journey into anime
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
May 22, 2020 8:33 AM

Jan 2010
Started out as a kid watching some "cartoon" on local TV. I remembered them being One Piece, Naruto, Tokyo Mew Mew, Detective Conan, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, etc

During middle school I was more into manga and continue to watch what was available on local TV (Air Gear, Gundam SEED, etc)

I didn't really have preferences at the time, I liked anime because I liked the art.

(2009) In high school I started to get more serious. I discovered internet. Anime streaming and download sites and such. Then I started to watch a lot of anime from various genre. At around this time I joined MAL and got more information about anime.

Slowly, I found out I enjoyed longer series than shorter ones and I enjoyed friendship themed battle shounen more than others. But I still watched many anime from various genre.

(2012) I think I changed from a casual fan to an avid fan at the last year of my high school.
I loved most mainstream battle shounen anime (Gintama, SnK, One Piece, FT, KHR, etc) and they were the ones that turned me into an avid anime fan.

But then everything changed again when I met Trafalgar Law and Eustass Kid in One Piece. For some unknown reason I started to ship them and fell into the darker side of the anime fandom. To this day I failed to understand how Law and Kid can turn me into a completely different kind of anime fan. The Fujoshi. I was an anti-yaoi. They annoyed the hell out of me because so many yaoi ships in battle shounen! I especially got enraged in the KHR fandom bcs this fandom was the first time I was made aware of how dominating the yaoi fans in this genre. Never in my life I imagined myself to be one of them in the future.

I think during my first year in University, I started to obsess more and more in my first OTP, Kid x Law.
I started to read fanfictions every. single. night.
Since I was majoring in Japanese Literature, as I slowly understand Japanese, I started to go to pixiv and read doujinshis on top of fanfictions. My obsession last for almost two years. Nothing but Kid x Law. Until I ran out of fanmade stuff to read. I read all and every fanfictions and doujinshis available. Kid x Law was not that popular in the first place, there was not much to dig. So I started to get frustrated. At the end of (2015), I visited Japan and bought my first haul of doujinshis (in which all of them were Kid x Law).

Then I started to fell out of anime and switched to Western Movies and TV Series. I discovered my second and third and so on OTP. (It's Hannigram, Destiel, Stucky)
I was obsessed with Steve x Bucky but not on the same level of Kid x Law. It lasted for one year I think (and it's a hella popular ship and there was still so much to consume)
During this time, I still watched one or two series every few months. Like Haikyuu, Kurobas. And found a new OTP. (Kuroken, Aokuro, Makoharu, Sanayuki)

(2017) around May (or I remembered as it was exactly just when Boku no Hero Academia S2 just started airing) I made my return to anime and to this site. More active than ever.
I binge watched BnHA and found my newest and biggest OTP yet, Katsuki x Izuku. BnHA was the anime that made me invested in the community again.

Nowadays, my preferences had shrinked greatly. I only watched anime that fit my preferences (which is really just bromance lol)

"Anybody, please, light a fire in me"
May 22, 2020 8:44 AM
Sep 2018
I watched something when I was kid and I always liked to watch anime but I really got into anime / manga 100% when I fays unemployed three years ago. Anime was my distraction in the hard days ...
May 22, 2020 8:53 AM

Apr 2018
I watched Doraemon when I was young. I knew about Detective Conan, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Saint Seiya, etc., but I didn't know anything about anime anyway.

When I was 13, I used to play an MMORPG game and I used an OST mod, finding out those soundtracks in the mod are from an anime named Sword Art Online, so I looked up further and ended up watching lots of anime since then.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

May 22, 2020 9:01 AM

Apr 2015
Most of the cartoons I saw as a child actually were anime and I didn't know that I just thought they were cartoons like Moomins.
May 22, 2020 9:06 AM

Mar 2019
Watched a couple of anime on TV as a child without knowing it was anime. Then stumbled across Dragonball Z a few years later and decided to rewatch it. It all started from then on.
May 22, 2020 10:02 AM

Apr 2020
Despite my relatively short watch list, I’ve been watching anime for almost as long as I’ve watched American TV. I discovered anime around 6.

I was in a library and my mom let me check out one DVD to watch at home. I saw a girl with big eyes and a smile and picked it. It was episode 17 of Kodomo no Omocha. I switched to sub later in life when I could actually read fast enough to keep up with them. Made my whole family weebs in the process. Been watching ever since.
May 22, 2020 7:14 PM
Jan 2018
I watched the anime everyone watched as kids before we knew what it was: Pokemon, Yugioh, Beyblade, Bakugan, etc.
When I was in elementary, this kid Malik told me about DBZ Kai on Nicktoons, which included descriptions such as "so the dude gets angry, and a blonde dude inhabits his soul, and that guys name is Super Say-Han", and I later discovered that it was a foreign cartoon from before I was born. Naruto Shippuden was on Disney XD at this time as well, and I learned that it was called anime.
Looked more into anime as I heard about it from youtubers I watched, stumbled on Glass Reflection channel, and based on some videos I watched, watched Gurren Lagann and Attack on Titan S1. Never looked back.
As a side story, we had Pokemon D&P manga in my elementary school library, and I read all of them the wrong direction before figuring out I was going the wrong way. I actually read the page that said "you're reading the wrong way" and said "Like hell I am"
May 22, 2020 7:26 PM

Feb 2020
Around here, everyone watched Heidi and Bee Maja when they were a child, but nobody knew they're anime, so that doesn't count. So it's this.
Saw Avatar on TV and looked for it on YouTube.
You don't know how fast you find anime when looking for avatar, man. I found HunterxHunter, tried it and binged it. It's still my favourite anime ever uwu

tysm iva-🐢💜

May 22, 2020 7:47 PM

Dec 2019
I didn't knew about it i found and started naruto randomly and then i continued with bleach and one piece.
                                                         🖤   

May 22, 2020 8:17 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, I can't remember not knowing about it, or at least I definitely can't remember any singular moment where I suddenly 'knew'. I just grew up on all kinds of international cartoons and eventually became aware that some of them were from Japan and ended up digging more into that direction because I wanted to watch Dragonball GT which was never aired on TV in my country.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 22, 2020 8:38 PM

Jul 2011
I'm pretty sure a lot of us started to get into anime when we watched it as children. As a little girl, I was looking for something to watch on TV when I saw an episode of Saint Seiya. I've been hooked ever since.
Check out my anime reviews or my pet will get you: Mezase Pokémon Master
May 22, 2020 9:10 PM

Jan 2020
Unlike most people, I never grew up with anime. Literally up until last December, the only anime I ever knew were Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto and Yugioh. I got bored one day of watching regular tv/movies and I decided to check out anime, because I watched some hentai before randomly and thought the girls were pretty hot. I actually made this account before I even watched a single minute of any show. I searched up “anime database” and decided to sign up (I have a habit of signing up to almost every new website I visit). I wanted to watch a movie first, since I didn’t know anime episodes were ~20 minutes instead of ~40, and the first movie that was on Netflix and that was the highest rated was A Silent Voice. Now I’ve been hooked these first 4 months.
May 22, 2020 9:12 PM
May 2020
I discovered it on TV but I just didn't realize that it was anime.
May 22, 2020 9:16 PM

Jul 2019
A friend told me about anime, which he learned about anime through another friend, which learned about anime through another friend, which knew about anime through another friend, which...etc.etc. knew about anime by going online probably.
May 22, 2020 9:16 PM

Jul 2017
I don't remember exactly. I think when I was a kid I browsing DVD's at my local library, I came across the anime section. Of course I didn't actually start watching anime until years later. (I did watch pokemon as a kid, but at the time I didnt know that was anime)

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

May 22, 2020 9:18 PM

Dec 2016
Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Beyblade and other famous shounens were broadcasted in the biggest TV Channel in Brazil till some years ago.
May 22, 2020 9:27 PM

Dec 2019
It really hard for me to remember but I think i found out when i when i watched probably Lucky star on you tube in dub then found some idol anime and searched it on the internet to find a website with hella anime
May 22, 2020 9:31 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
family introduced it to me of course. More at this thread.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» If you had to choose, which anime took place at school more?

Jukemania - 3 hours ago

1 by deg »»
30 seconds ago

» Would you date an anime girl even if she ate her rice grains one at a time?

ItsXolo - 2 hours ago

2 by GinInYourJuice »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you guys like any of the 4kids openings

HattoriSoul - Sep 13

21 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Yesterday

83 by AME-7706 »»
2 minutes ago

» Does your waifu have 1st world problems?

Catalano - Sep 18

11 by deg »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.