Forum Settings
Forums

An anime with an Extraterrestrial Protagonist ?

New
Feb 13, 2020 1:25 AM

Nov 2017
So, let's forget about Black Protagonists in anime for a moment, and think about the possibility of something more novel than that.

Do you guys think there will be an anime made with an Extraterrestrial Protagonist in Japan anytime in the near future ?

It would be the prime of diversity in anime if an ET main character with either red, blue, orange or purple skin stars in an anime. ( It would also be cool if such an MC had antennae on top of his head like the Andorians from Star Trek ).

Now that I think of it, Star Trek is really the best live-action TV series when it comes to exploring diversity in a fictional story, since there are so many non-human humanoid races, and the story emphasizes the virtue that no matter how different we look, as long as we share something in common, we can still be good friends and even love and marry one another.

Who knows ? Maybe in real life, Earthlings who are used to interacting with people from various cultural backgrounds would be the most valued skill if alien contact happened in the future.

Therefore, we need more diversity in anime with new settings for the main characters. Anime just can't have Japanese, Asian or Caucasian-looking protagonists with the standard cliched and boring white skin setting all the time.

We need more diverse everything. Not only does it allow viewers to enter a new point of view, but also gives us a peek of a new culture. Fiction builds empathy.

When we read or watch characters that do not look like us nor live like us – we begin to understand them.

In the words of Gene Luen Yang, “You understand what makes you similar and how vast the differences are, and it helps people who are different from you. Right now it seems like – not just in America, but around the world – we need a little more empathy.”

Besides, diversity in the Universe is the norm, and not an exception. Nothing stays the same forever.

If anime has more diversity, it would open up a larger new market.

Now with Netflix gaining more influence in anime production in Japan and an American anime studio opening up shop in Japan, one day there will be a Romcom anime with a Black or ET protagonist romancing a Japanese main heroine. It is possible.

EhurvaksFeb 13, 2020 1:40 AM
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Feb 13, 2020 1:55 AM

Nov 2016
You are three decades late pal

Character count
Feb 13, 2020 1:56 AM

Jul 2016
Not sure if you have actually thought about this topic properly but anime has plenty of alien characters.Hell,my all time husbando is a big green alien dude.Are you saying now that aliens need representation too?This has gone too far.
SummerynFeb 13, 2020 1:59 AM
Feb 13, 2020 2:00 AM

Oct 2019
the alien queen herself has spoken!
Feb 13, 2020 2:01 AM

Feb 2013
I like anime about aliens! I recommend Space Dandy, Denpa Onna, Tenchi Muyo, Brigadoon, This ugly yet beautiful world, some Hi no Tori arcs, Lost Universe, Macross, Rahxephon, Suisei no Gargantia, Trigun, Uchuusen Sagittarius. Invaders of Rokujouma and Haruhi series also count i guess.

Special mention to Ishida to Asakura special. My personal enjoyment of this episode was through the roof, and I demand that every single person on this planet (and the aliens too) shall watch it.

I realize the alien audience is very underrepresented and this diversity could help in rising anime popularity in the interstellar void.
Feb 13, 2020 2:07 AM

Oct 2010
Do you compete with psyduck for the dumbest mal threads?
Anyway, there are lots of anime with alien mc in a normal world.
Feb 13, 2020 2:13 AM

Jul 2016
Fuzzylumpkins said:
the alien queen herself has spoken!

Thanks for the compliment (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Feb 13, 2020 2:32 AM

May 2018
Will add (to the already listed) Level E, Tetsuwan Birdy and since Kagura is one from the main trio thus Gintama.

Also there was this Koro-sensei guy but whatever, I hate him.
alshuFeb 13, 2020 2:37 AM
Feb 13, 2020 3:00 AM
Jan 2018
...I feel sorry for the OP. Literally no one is properly reading the post, and are blasting out their own opinion.
The industry is indeed centered around human characters, and literally most of the alien anime that are being recommended in this post have an MC that is, at least, in appearance, a human. According to the rules of evolution, it's next to impossible that extraterrestrials will look like humans. So having an anime protagonist that does not look like a human will be quite realistic.
Yes, many alien characters exist in anime, but very few of the alien characters actually look like, well, aliens. And out of the ones that do, almost none are actually the protagonists. Changing that might be fun, and may change fiction for the better.
weebwhacker21Feb 13, 2020 3:06 AM
Feb 13, 2020 5:03 AM

May 2018
weebwhacker21 said:
no one is properly reading the post

Including you - he simply wants different skin colour and maybe antennas. He wants Star Trek...which franchise is not even trying to make the aliens look too exotic.

weebwhacker21 said:
and are blasting out their own opinion.

Ohhh, so we are not supposed to present our opinions if we disagree with the OP?
The guy even hasn't watched enough anime to make such wild generalisations like "No alien anime MC".

weebwhacker21 said:
The industry is indeed centered around human characters

Hollywood does the same tho.

weebwhacker21 said:
most of the alien anime that are being recommended in this post have an MC that is, at least, in appearance, a human.

Not against the wishes of the OP tho.

weebwhacker21 said:
According to the rules of evolution

Wow, you know them?

weebwhacker21 said:
it's next to impossible that extraterrestrials will look like humans

Also the science has yet to prove that alien life exist.

weebwhacker21 said:
So having an anime protagonist that does not look like a human will be quite realistic.

It is quite impossible to predict how they will look (or maybe singular like the ocean of Solaris)...so any way to represent them will be unrealistic.

weebwhacker21 said:
Yes, many alien characters exist in anime, but very few of the alien characters actually look like, well, aliens.

Wow, you know how they look?

weebwhacker21 said:
Changing that might be fun, and may change fiction for the better.

I agree that having non-humanoid protagonist would be fun...but you already know that people doesn't care about serious sci-fi. They care mainly about relatable characters and "getting the feels".
Good luck doing that via some intelligent fungus based hive mind for a MC...
Feb 13, 2020 5:15 AM

Nov 2018
Dragon Ball and Assassination Classroom already exist, man.Are you an internet explorer user by any chance?
I hate everyone equally
Feb 13, 2020 5:40 AM

Jul 2019
Ehurvaks said:

Do you guys think there will be an anime made with an Extraterrestrial Protagonist in Japan anytime in the near future ?

Akira Toriyama is reading this and questions everything he's done since 1984.
Feb 13, 2020 5:43 AM

Jul 2016
NamikazeHime said:
Ehurvaks said:

Too bad Goku doesn´t have red, blue, orange or purple skin which is what OP is asking for.*shrugs*Well i´m pretty sure OP will be satisfied with literally any other race that isn´t a saiyan or human,since they do have colourful skin.
Feb 13, 2020 6:00 AM

Jul 2019
Missaliensan said:
NamikazeHime said:

Too bad Goku doesn´t have red, blue, orange or purple skin which is what OP is asking for.*shrugs*Well i´m pretty sure OP will be satisfied with literally any other race that isn´t a saiyan or human,since they do have colourful skin.

So I guess Piccolo is what he is looking for.
Feb 13, 2020 6:06 AM

Jul 2016
NamikazeHime said:
Missaliensan said:

So I guess Piccolo is what he is looking for.

Yeah that plus literally any other race.Since OP specifically asked for red,blue,orange or purple skin i point OP to the ginyu force.
Feb 13, 2020 6:10 AM

Mar 2015
Tsuritama has an alien protagonist. Admittedly, he looks like a normal human and for most of the time the most alien thing about him is his weird behavior.

Speaking of diversity, Tsuritama also has an Indian main character.

More topics from this board

» Do you consider yourself a weeb? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

53 by MasterTasuke »»
1 minute ago

» Why was there never a satanic panic over anime in America?

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

29 by _FRB_ »»
6 minutes ago

» Why are streaming services' subs so crap compared to fansubs?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - 41 minutes ago

1 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime regrets

JoeChip - Today

20 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» Do they even make traditional magical girl anime anymore?

Spunkert - Apr 6

42 by Lucifrost »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.