Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 1, 2018 6:03 PM

Apr 2018
One major caveat: this analysis is only meaningful if your distribution of scores is close to following a normal distribution. If your scores are nontrivially skewed in any direction, that can easily screw up any analysis you perform in this manner.
Oct 1, 2018 6:05 PM

Nov 2014
Ranacchi said:
Suppose that depends on what you call "good". Different people have different tastes.
I do try to evade watching shows I most likely won't enjoy. Anime isn't my job, merely a hobby.
I think most people avoid anime that they feel they wouldn't like. There's a reason I pick up only a fraction of the airing anime. Still, most of the anime I watch end up mostly forgotten in just a few weeks after airing.

Besides, I don't think many people have anime as a job and I seriously think it'll only ruin it for that person. Kinda like professional gamers who can't have any fun gaming anymore. It's a hobby for me, but one where I get that warm fuzzy feeling watching some of it. And I really want scores of 8 something special, with 9 and 10 being something REALLY special.

tuckfrump4228 said:
One major caveat: this analysis is only meaningful if your distribution of scores is close to following a normal distribution. If your scores are nontrivially skewed in any direction, that can easily screw up any analysis you perform in this manner.
It's true. But it could also be valuable to access why a person's score deviates so much from a normal distribution. Math like that is meant to get a numerical number to explain something that was already somewhat intuitive in the first place.
BurningSpiritOct 1, 2018 6:14 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 1, 2018 7:28 PM

Nov 2011

I guess my standard deviation is a little high? Hmm.
Exit: My standard deviation is 2.03, to clarify.

Also, I find it interesting that 7 is my actual median score given out despite 6 being what I consider a “standard” enjoyable experience.

My reluctance to give out 9’s doesn’t seem common wih others. Most people only seem to do that with 10s.
TripleSRankOct 1, 2018 7:34 PM
Oct 1, 2018 11:31 PM

May 2009
ResKori said:
Mean score 6.30
Std dev 1.45

what about me? I got no idea wtf this means.

Mean = add up all your scores then divide by number of scored series.

Std dev = a somewhat more complicated calculation, but it basically is a measure of how spread out your scores are.

TripleSRank said:

Also, I find it interesting that 7 is my actual median score given out despite 6 being what I consider a “standard” enjoyable experience.

My reluctance to give out 9’s doesn’t seem common wih others. Most people only seem to do that with 10s.
I think 9s were also kinda rare with my old rating system.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 2, 2018 4:20 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
BurningSpirit said:
I think most people avoid anime that they feel they wouldn't like. There's a reason I pick up only a fraction of the airing anime. Still, most of the anime I watch end up mostly forgotten in just a few weeks after airing.

Besides, I don't think many people have anime as a job and I seriously think it'll only ruin it for that person. Kinda like professional gamers who can't have any fun gaming anymore. It's a hobby for me, but one where I get that warm fuzzy feeling watching some of it. And I really want scores of 8 something special, with 9 and 10 being something REALLY special.

I am immune to most things which would make an anime "REALLY special".
I rarely cry, I'm not a huge fan of little kids, romance isn't my cup of tea either, and I cannot relate to "relatable things" either. There's not a lot of things left if any which could guarantee a 10/10.

I do occasionally watch things I think I'll despise due to me wanting to know what others find so great about it that it deserves a 10/10 but I don't do this often enough to have my score plummet to 4 average.
After all, hobbies are supposed to be fun.
I'm not sure if I should even waste my time watching things I despise that much just to please other people. If others want to watch things they hate and play pretend to be one o' dem critics, they can do so.
Oct 2, 2018 4:51 AM

Nov 2011
TripleSRank said:

On further thought, that probably happened because there’s no true “neutral” score in an evenly-numbered rating system, and my concept of “average” got bisected between 5’s and 6’s as a result. If you add the two they do outnumber my 7’s, and the difference between them is minute.

It might sound trollish but I legit wish we had a “0” rating just so 5 could be a true middle-point in the scale.
Oct 2, 2018 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
interesting I have a good idea how this works and MAL really should implement this instead of lame mean score thingy. This way we or other users could figure if our rating system is consistent to begin with.

anyway my standard deviation is 1.35, could been better. I have yet to rate bunch of ova/special.
Oct 2, 2018 12:37 PM

May 2009
SkyDrop said:
I have yet to rate bunch of ova/special.
I don't bother rating these because a lot of the time these things aren't really things I have separate "impressions" of that are noticeably different from the main series they're a part of.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 3, 2018 3:27 AM

Jun 2016
Total rated: 745
Mean score: 4.36
Std dev.: 2.18

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2018 3:59 AM

Apr 2015
Total rated: 2206
Mean score: 5.47
Std dev.: 2.99

1 S.D. = 5.47 ± 2.99 = Scores between 2.48 and 8.46
2 S.D. = 5.47 ± (2.99 x 2) = Scores between -0.51 and 11.45

Oct 3, 2018 4:55 AM
Sep 2012

Total Rated: 2501
Mean Score: 3.80
Std Deviation: 1.93

Have fun with my stats.
Oct 3, 2018 7:11 AM

Feb 2017
Standard deviation of 1.8 with a mean score of 5.87 and 239 rated shows.

Jun 14, 2021 11:37 AM

Dec 2019
Total rated: 384
Mean score: 4.66
Std. dev.: 1.65

Jun 14, 2021 12:12 PM

Mar 2018
I’d love to see them integrate something like a standard error in addition to standard dev. With and without accounting for the difference between mean rating of watched vs mean rated scoring.

And not that anyone cares but 5.96 SD 2.08
Jun 14, 2021 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Mean score: 5.92
Std dev.: 1.49

I think that's fair or to be honest: I don't really care ...!?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Most attractive seiyuus?

Mattenan - 21 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

37 by ArpitPatel »»
11 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

21 by Sillz_22 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - Yesterday

36 by SmugMiri »»
22 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 8 hours ago

35 by Yamiez »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.