Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 6, 2017 6:11 PM

Apr 2011
Cool, but the game was better. 4/5
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Apr 14, 2017 3:42 AM

Jul 2012
Can't really compare this to the game, but i think it was not bad. The battle in animation looked interesting and different, sadly they didn't show an all-out attack.
May 2, 2017 2:11 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
First things first.

Lelouch / Fukuyama Jun being the MC. I'm like that. MC is cool.
Main team seems okay.. a bitchy/slutty looking chick (with tsundere personality?). The quiet brains. Comical annoyance relief and a talking cat. Loving main guy (lelouch voice actor). Cat is 'kay, rest of squad.

Animation wasn't to the par/level of persona 4 series or persona 3 movies, but that's understandable as this is kinda Persona 5 game ad in anime form.

World is okay, MC becoming persona was cool as heck. Not sure I'm liking the artistic side this time around regarding fashion style and combat animation (was confusing and camera clipping as hell)
May 27, 2017 4:22 PM

Mar 2016
This is nice to watch after getting an experience of the game. I like all of the characters especially the protagonist and lady Ann who's a total bae. Ryuji is best bro. Yusuke's always funny with his dead serious attitude in game and overall remarks, he's great.
Jun 28, 2017 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
Solid for a promo I must say. Loved the music that played during the fight. This would work out good as a GoHands anime imo. Now I'm interested to check out the other Persona anime.
Aug 2, 2017 9:06 PM

May 2015
This to me was more like a nice teaser/promo... I think this would make more sense if you played the game finish it and then watch this...
Aug 14, 2017 10:05 PM

Mar 2015
Considering I'm watching this after the game was already released - and that I've already finished it - it was still so AWESOME.

This happened between one Mementos request and Palace #3 and it was so awesome to watch an animated recount of it, in a way.

10/10, can't wait for TV series!!!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 18, 2017 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
I like it and hope to see more
Aug 24, 2017 1:33 AM

Sep 2016
It's exciting for P5 players, but it would look very confusing to a nonplayer because there's no background information on what's happening, especially during the Mementos scene.

I honesty didn't get what's going on until I played the game. Rewatching it after that is enjoyable.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Aug 28, 2017 2:53 AM

Aug 2014
Meh, I wasn't that impressed with the visuals...I guess that was to be expected with A-1 Pictures. Hopefully they'll step it up for the full series but I seriously doubt it.

5/10
Sep 14, 2017 2:50 PM

Mar 2016
Despite being disheartened as all hell about the worst anime company in anime today, A1, getting Persona 5, I heard about this special and decided to check it out.

For an A1 show, I was surprised that it wasn't *that* awful. It makes literally no sense if you haven't gotten past the second Palace in game, but as an elaboration on a Mementos target, it was okay.

My biggest beef was really with the animation itself. I thought it was truly awful. Joker's face as a student is never the same from shot to shot, and most times, he looks deformed. Very unattractive at best.

Character faces were very off-putting for the most part to me; but I even thought that with the anime cutscenes in the game. I prefer the in-game models, I think. I never had an issue with the high quality sprites for each character in-game, but for actual animation, it looked off as it did here.

The music was a bit lame too. It works great for the game. But that's the thing. This is an anime. Use the music, but don't make it sound like it's from a game. The same music with different instruments would be more preferable to me.

I'd give it a 3/5 for the episode and a 5/10 overall.
It was okay. Story wise, I didn't notice anything really wrong with it, which is shocking from A1. Literally shocking.
And mediocre animation.

I'm still not looking forward to the anime at all though, but this was a bit surprising.

Edit: Apparently this was released before the game. If I had seen it before then, I absolutely would've hated it and never given the amazing game a chance. I only liked it because I could see some semblance of plot and logic, only because I knew the game.

Wow, this is a shockingly bad introduction. I'm really glad no one wrote off the anime as over-the-top trash based on this.

vaikepois said:
First things first.

Lelouch / Fukuyama Jun being the MC. I'm like that. MC is cool.

Oh my god, why would you insult Joker like that? Don't compare him to goddamn Ledouche.
CrimsonCWSep 14, 2017 2:55 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Sep 24, 2017 11:48 PM

Jul 2012
Finished the game yesterday, so I decided to check this out.

I would have preferred for Production I.G to animate this, since they animated the cutscenes for the game and those were pretty good. This adaptation felt just okay in terms of the art and character designs. What bothered me most though, was Morgana in his metaverse form just looks off to me. Hopefully they can clean things up for the TV series, but we'll see.
Dec 10, 2017 4:22 PM

Nov 2012
Very fun and just what I expected, also I love seeing the Ann animated but if only it had the rest :(
Jan 2, 2018 6:29 PM
Feb 2017
So I just watched this now after beating the game a while ago and even though this was probably great for someone who has this as their first exposure to the game, but after playing through the game and having context for all the events this is kind of disappointing. I mean, yeah I get that the idea is that it's a "glimpse of the future" and what you can do in the game but it just felt awkward how they blew what would typically be an irrelevant 5 minute mission into this whole big operation for them. At least I like how they used an actual mementos mission from the game, made sure it made sense in the timeline, specifically being right before the Kaneshiro palace, and they used music and stuff from the game, so it all fit in and made sense. Except for the fact that mementos was covered in keyblades, I get that the target was a locksmith but like what the hell.

Welp let's just wait and see if the rest of the anime is any better when it comes out.
Mar 3, 2018 2:38 PM

Oct 2015
That was a cool twist of the story, because I thought Kazuya was the victim but he was a perpetrator all along. The way he gave him self up after being defeated by the Phantom thieves of hearts was really funny in it's own way. But somewhere deep down I think he really wanted to leave the gang, maybe that's why he apologised to Naoya.

I loved this special and I think the full series will be great as such ( the theme, animation and the characters).

7/10

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 9, 2018 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
Lmao i still remember that mission, i totally didn't care about it in the game because i was focused on Kaneshiro and his castle but still, the mystery of the key is finally resolved
Mar 27, 2018 3:23 AM
Mar 2018
This was really good.
Apr 24, 2018 8:13 PM

Oct 2016
That's pretty... garbage. Yep, it was garbage
Apr 25, 2018 6:46 AM

Dec 2015
Wow, so much better than the TV series! Animation and even character designs are noticeably better, none of that Pokemon battle nonsense. 7.5/10
~
May 10, 2018 5:46 PM

Apr 2016
Prim3 said:
Wow, so much better than the TV series! Animation and even character designs are noticeably better, none of that Pokemon battle nonsense. 7.5/10

Prim-san, I don't know, if I should say this, but do you seemingly notice that Morgana's VA is the same as with Pikachu from the said series that you just mentioned???
神様はその独り子を賜ったほどに この世を愛してくださった。 それは御子を信じる者が一人も滅びないで 永遠の命を得るためである。
kamisama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
For God so love the world that he gave His only Begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life.
May 10, 2018 9:54 PM

Dec 2015
animangafreak_ZX said:
Prim3 said:

Prim-san, I don't know, if I should say this, but do you seemingly notice that Morgana's VA is the same as with Pikachu from the said series that you just mentioned???
no I didn't... TIL
~
Aug 8, 2018 2:40 AM

May 2016
It's been a short while since I've finished Persona 5's main story but there's a very nice feeling to seeing a new perspective from one of the Shadow denizens of the Mementos and how the Phantom Thieves take care of the situation without doing it myself.

My favorite part of the special was my realization that the whole episode focused on an actual Mementos favor I completed in the game that came from Makki's final line before he disappeared. Knowing what was in the drawer after all this time was an unexpected surprise but also a welcome one.

Just found out this came out before the game. Wow~

Aug 2, 2020 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
Those low life crooks sure are foolish to trust some random info without scouting the shop first lol. For a special that aired 2 years before the P5a series this really had a good fighting scene that was a lot better than all the fights in P5a.

May 20, 2021 9:14 AM
Dec 2020
Dude they animated a mementos mission! The baton passes were sick too!!
Jan 26, 2022 8:23 PM

Dec 2009
I haven't watched the anime series yet, but it's pretty awesome to see Persona 5 animated. 7/10.
Apr 24, 11:13 PM
Dec 2021
3 minutes in and I already know this episode is for me, cracking beers and hacking safes is my type of jam
ArctiKFoxApr 24, 11:17 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Persona 5 Dubbed

senaponime - Jun 8, 2016

27 by Queen_Vania »»
May 29, 2017 4:19 AM

» Persona 5 Ost

Caramellochi - Sep 3, 2016

3 by removed-user »»
Sep 7, 2016 2:49 PM

» Do i need to watch persona 3 and 4 before starting this?

blitz_21x - Sep 3, 2016

2 by Laisrian »»
Sep 3, 2016 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.