Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 3, 2017 10:41 AM

May 2015
Alot of comments here reflect what annoys me about anime and manga fans.

They judge works based on a single episode or chapter of what is a larger story.

Wait until the thing is finished before claiming things like 'bad writing'

You wouldn't pause a film 5 minutes before the end, and say. I didn't like that bit 'bad writing!!'

Honestly it is ridiculous.
Oct 3, 2017 11:16 AM

May 2015
My heart was in my mouth when I thought hinami chan was going to be butchered.

Anyone care that Naki is dead?
jedmanOct 3, 2017 11:34 AM
Oct 3, 2017 11:21 AM

Feb 2016
jedman said:

They judge works based on a single episode or chapter of what is a larger story.

You wouldn't pause a film 5 minutes before the end, and say. I didn't like that bit 'bad writing!!'

++++++++++++++++++1
Oct 3, 2017 11:50 AM

Jul 2014
Kaneki showing up after AND TO REPEAT MYSELF was ridiculous on its own and after this he get off screened by suzuya "ordragon whatever " is just bad writing no matter how you cover it

You know you fucked up when even longest fans of the series call bullshit an you and the series been going downhill for a while now

He's just doing part 1 all over again for the shock value and to make it seems "oh no everyone died" only to pull cheap twist yet again and Nothing happen to anyone and of course this is not the end the troll party is still going on

Next chapter is the last it seems ..... lets follow him until the very end and see what he will do

At least Hinami is save .....
Devil_SlayerOct 3, 2017 11:58 AM
Oct 3, 2017 12:00 PM

Sep 2013
LMAO XD
Hope it ends next chapter and part 3 starts with kaneki's kid as the mc.
Oct 3, 2017 12:18 PM

Dec 2009
If someone liked this chapter, I feel sorry for him/her. Really shitty ending to a shitty manga. Original TG was so good. Maybe there is not a single Ishida Sui and the writer changed at :re. Either way shit is shit. Chapter score: -10/10. Series score: 0/10. Not biased at all.
Oct 3, 2017 1:19 PM
May 2016
GodofWar2015 said:
Before peeps wonder why Kaneki lost, it is obvious, the guy did not eat for a long time. That affected him. Apart from that, this was the best chapter I have read yet.

God damn, I hear this explanation every single time a fight happens where one character loses a fight that they were heavily expected to win. After a certain point this just becomes an old, rehashed excuse.

And wasn't Kaneki in aokigahara forest, where there are so many dead bodies that it can support the colony? Just grab a dead body and eat on the go. He'll lose a bit of time but if he's so malnourished that it makes a big difference, then I'm sure that eating would give him enough of a boost to counteract the difference in lost time.
Oct 3, 2017 1:54 PM
Aug 2016
CommanderParagon said:
90% sure Furuta is bullshitting about Suzuya and Hanbee soloing Kaneki, since Kaneki conveniently lost his memories and was off-screened. Dragon must've appeared. Probably Shirazu. Suzuya was convinced to help because of Shinohara, Shirazu could've been for Haru.

I didn't think to this possibilty. I totally agree with you, otherwise it would be almost impossible to explain Kaneki's defeat.
Oct 3, 2017 1:58 PM

Sep 2014
LMAO so many salty f*cks in here. This was a glorious chapter!!! ;D
Oct 3, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2017
This..This..i dunno man this is just stupid
Cutting the fight and using a cheap chock factor..Wow

Oct 3, 2017 3:21 PM

Sep 2014
SanOro said:

You clearly understood squat the last 200+ chapters then. This was foreshadowed throughout the series, even stated 43 chapters ago lol
Oct 3, 2017 3:28 PM

Mar 2016
Am I the only one who wonder if we get a third part if Ishida-sensei will change his way to draw again like he did for Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul:Re ?
Oct 3, 2017 4:24 PM

Dec 2015
I'm lost. Did not expect this at all. Let's just see what happens in the next chapter.
Oct 3, 2017 4:46 PM

Mar 2015
Well, It could have been worse.
I'm not even mad at the ending, but I definitely have problems with characters teleporting, characters acting out of character, and offscreening important moments.This chapter had a combination of every usual problem with Ishida's writing.
since Kaneki is supposed to be stronger than Suzuya and Hanbee, Ishida should have shown us how Kaneki was defeated, something like the ccg using strategy against an unstable Kakuja Kaneki or something, but skipping it like that... it just looks wrong.

I don't agree that this chapter being a daydream is a good thing though, It will be worse, If it really is a dream then this would look even cheaper than it already does. damage has already been done.

I'm 100% sure this is not the final ending.

jedman said:

I do, I really liked Naki, actually I'm fine with Hinami dying if Naki lives.
but anyway, RIP
Oct 3, 2017 4:54 PM

May 2016
nemya said:
Well, It could have been worse.
I'm not even mad at the ending, but I definitely have problems with characters teleporting, characters acting out of character, and offscreening important moments.This chapter had a combination of every usual problem with Ishida's writing.
since Kaneki is supposed to be stronger than Suzuya and Hanbee, Ishida should have shown us how Kaneki was defeated, something like the ccg using strategy against an unstable Kakuja Kaneki or something, but skipping it like that... it just looks wrong.

I don't agree that this chapter being a daydream is a good thing though, It will be worse, If it really is a dream then this would look even cheaper than it already does. damage has already been done.

I'm 100% sure this is not the final ending.

jedman said:

I do, I really liked Naki, actually I'm fine with Hinami dying if Naki lives.
but anyway, RIP
No. Shit. I mean, in chapter 142 Kaneki just suddenly disappears and then appears in front of Hinami, and everything is just so chaotic it's actually freaking unbelievable. Can't believe Ishida is taking the same route as when he did the final chapter of TG. The number of chapters is even spot on, it's ridiculous! Still can't wrap my head around this
Oct 3, 2017 5:27 PM

Mar 2015
XavierLockhart said:
No. Shit. I mean, in chapter 142 Kaneki just suddenly disappears and then appears in front of Hinami, and everything is just so chaotic it's actually freaking unbelievable. Can't believe Ishida is taking the same route as when he did the final chapter of TG. The number of chapters is even spot on, it's ridiculous! Still can't wrap my head around this

yeah, Ishida sure loves his parallels
the first page of this chapter still seems suspicious though
Oct 3, 2017 5:27 PM

Oct 2014
what the fUCK just happened
Oct 3, 2017 5:53 PM

Jan 2013
When you get a new kakuja form and you get offscreened by Suzuya and Hanbee SMH Kaneki beat Arima and you're telling me he couldn't beat them? BULL somethings fishy.
I'm glad people agree that the quality of the series isn't the same (not saying its gotten worst or better because It's clear there are people who argue both sides), but the general tone feels very different than the original and the beginning of RE and I think that's something we can all agree on.
I think TG has always been a bit shouneny during the battles, but lately its been really pushing the bar. This chapter reminded me why I'm so dedicated to tokyo ghoul regardless of whether this defeat was predictable or not.
Looking forward to the new serialisation (I think??)
Oct 3, 2017 6:02 PM

Jan 2013
nemya said:
XavierLockhart said:

yeah, Ishida sure loves his parallels
the first page of this chapter still seems suspicious though

It was good, really goood, but I don't think it was as effective this time because Ishida already parallaled the ending of TG during the fight with Arima and the pay off was insane there with the conversation Kaneki had with Hide in his mind while attempting to overcome the man who created him (into Sasaki).
This time it sort of felt like, "oh here we go again another time you think back to the time you came up short because you want to protect more people again". I sympathise with Kaneki, don't get me wrong, but like I said, his big "i will protect" moment was with Arima, not Suzuya imo
Oct 3, 2017 7:04 PM
Jan 2013
the tragedy and asspull were twisted and unpredictable as always...
but, why the fuck the narative is almost always confusing...
so hard to understand what happened if you only read it once...
Oct 3, 2017 9:37 PM
Oct 2017
Well guys, my first post here... I m sorry if my english is incorrect xD

1) Kaneki was apparently weaker than in his fight against Arima, for not feeding (or not¿?), but we do not know if he could kill arima, he just broke his quinques

2) Kaneki was aware when he fought against Arima, why not now? And he broke all arima's quinques, Jason is stronger than the okaku owl?

3) I dont know if we can say that Kaneki fought without intending to kill them if he was unconscious

4) Susuya, if I remember correctly, he needed to use the arata to beat Kurona (SS), after activating it he beat her easily. I remember the armor there were versions that were improving. But it is strange that he has not seriously killed or injured any. At least he would have made a 3vs1, would be more understandable.

Well, maybe this is what the author wants to generate, you hate him or you love him
kakarotenOct 3, 2017 9:43 PM
Oct 3, 2017 10:23 PM
Oct 2017
I wonder what ishida's intentions were with this chapter because I know he has skills as an author so there must be a reason for what he did.

Few things I want to adress.

1) We still have another chapter and likely a sequel after this so it's not over.

2) Furuta left kaneki a way out, similar to what he did with eto and the pate. He always cleans up loose ends, eto and now kaneki are the only people he's left an open door for, there is a reason for it. I feel like this a moment where kaneki will get another massive change, possibly the biggest yet or on par with his change from innocent black hair kaneki to white hair kaneki at hands of jason. He will devour the 0 squads heads and regain enough strength then devour some ogai etc.

3) People complaining about him losing to suzuya and I agree he should have the power to defeat suzuya+hanbee.

-a.There is a possibility that he is weakened right now due to a lack of food but a bigger thing I think that not really anyone is addressing is the panel of him talking to hinami this chapter. He touched his chin when he said he was going to be right behind her, which indicates he is lying. Whether consciously or unconsciously he never intended to win that fight from the beginning. Suzuya is a friend and even if in the forefront of his mind he knew he had to kill suzuya to protect his other friends, unconsciously he may have refused the option from the start hence the chin touch.

-b. He blanked out/or lost his memories. We can't be sure of which. He could have been conscious, dragon came and he lost and after he was defeated they somehow erased his memories. Tons of things could have happened, we don't necessarily know that just suzuya + hanbee were the sole people who were involved in the fight.
Oct 3, 2017 10:37 PM

Nov 2011
Maledict said:
What in the hell...? Did I just see Ken, the Arima killer, while fighting with a full kakuja, get off-panel'd by Suzuya and that one guy? Excuse me? I knew Ishida was horrible with strength consistencies, but this is a whole new level. Or Arima was always the strongest.

That never happened. Arima killed himself, he wasn't even trying to kill Kaneki, he could have done it easily. Suzuya is SS and Hanbee is S rate, they are fully prepared and is using freaking Arata, Suzuya is at that state closer to Arima than Kaneki ever was. Meanwhile we got Kaneki,a sick,dying and starving ghoul. Of course he get rekt. Furuta already said that Kaneki lost because he try to do everything himself. He never learned. If he bring Tsukiyama and Nishio, they could at least separate Hanbee from Suzuya making it one on one.

I wasn't fan of the chapter at first but there's a reason why everything happened. The fight was skipped to make us wonder what happened in between, did Dragon appeared? Why did Kaneki forgot? We could have a long and tedious fight like shonen manga but Ishida decided to do it another way. This is obviously not the end. There are many things unresolved.
Kaiser-chanOct 3, 2017 10:47 PM

Oct 3, 2017 10:51 PM
Oct 2017
KaiserNazrin said:
Maledict said:
What in the hell...? Did I just see Ken, the Arima killer, while fighting with a full kakuja, get off-panel'd by Suzuya and that one guy? Excuse me? I knew Ishida was horrible with strength consistencies, but this is a whole new level. Or Arima was always the strongest.

That never happened. Arima killed himself, he wasn't even trying to kill Kaneki, he could have done it easily. Suzuya is SS and Hanbee is S rate, they are fully prepared and is using freaking Arata, Suzuya is at that state closer to Arima than Kaneki ever was. Meanwhile we got Kaneki,a sick,dying and starving ghoul. Of course he get rekt. Furuta already said that Kaneki lost because he try to do everything himself. He never learned. If he bring Tsukiyama and Nishio, they could at least separate Hanbee from Suzuya making it one on one.

I wasn't fan of the chapter at first but there's a reason why everything happened. The fight was skipped to make us wonder what happened in between, did Dragon appeared? Why did Kaneki forgot? We could have a long and tedious fight like shonen manga but Ishida decided to do it another way. This is obviously not the end. There are many things unresolved.

Arima could have killed kaneki in the beginning many times, as he said. Kaneki clearly changed mid fight though, kind of like gohan going ssj2 against cell. Arima was trying, had both his quinque broken and outsmarted after that change.
Oct 4, 2017 1:20 AM

May 2015
Everything could change next chapter in any case, kaneki could make a comeback or get saved at the last minute we don't know.

Also the fight will most probably be explained and shown later.

People need to chill lol.
Oct 4, 2017 3:30 AM

Apr 2017
dicecop said:
SanOro said:

You clearly understood squat the last 200+ chapters then. This was foreshadowed throughout the series, even stated 43 chapters ago lol

Idc if it's forshadowed or not..It's still bad, i HATE shit like this but eh who knows i think they'll explain it in the next chapter..I hope

Oct 4, 2017 3:40 AM

Jun 2012
Don't let your wildest assumptions run off your reasons guys. This is just a showcase of the legendary "what if" scenario if Kaneki made a decision to return alone.
Oct 4, 2017 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
jedman said:

The entire foundation of "series discussions" is to discuss single chapters/episodes. Why are you even in this part of the forums if you only plan to talk about complete series?

Also Re has been declining in quality for awhile now, so is only natural for people to complain. And all this is because Ishida started prioritizing shock value over substance.
From important characters becoming nothing more than cannon fodder, power scales that change whenever the plot demands, constant offscreen battles and deaths, reashing of the exact same thing that happen in the original.. It is clear to me that this is a case of bad writting, the next chapter can not salvage the entire series.
Oct 4, 2017 4:55 AM

Jul 2014
We discuss the chapter on its own as of now, i am not making excuses for the author of this manga he is the one who should justify the stuff he pull not some fanbois, i would gladly eat my words if next chapter he prove me wrong

The kaneki excuses is just bullshit because :

1- He could easily eat one of those bodies in the forest before going back to check on the base and it doesn't take any time for it, all you need is just limb to recover

2- It's also idiotic of him to think he can handle all the groups fruta will be bringing when he is very sick and weak right now

3-His dialogue and actions doesn't make, he touch his chin which implay he think he can't win the battle, but he then goes and says he will win and save everybody

Not counting the AND TO REPEAT MYSELF that was cheap way to create some tension
Oct 4, 2017 8:40 AM
Oct 2017
Kaneki can eat the heads of Rikai and Shio of the squad 0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 4, 2017 10:09 AM

Sep 2016
I have a feeling this series will end soon... RIP Touka
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2017 10:57 AM

Nov 2014
SakurasouCaboose said:
I have a feeling this series will end soon... RIP Touka

Nah, Ishida wouldn't dare kill off Kaneki's cumdumpster Touka.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2017 12:29 PM

Sep 2014
SanOro said:
dicecop said:

Idc if it's forshadowed or not..It's still bad, i HATE shit like this but eh who knows i think they'll explain it in the next chapter..I hope

Saying this was bad is saying that part 1 was bad. I don't think you know what "re" means lmao
Oct 4, 2017 12:31 PM

Dec 2013
Ishida said:
Step 1: Write a successful manga.
Step 2: Write the same thing except it's worse this time around.
Step 3: ???

I don't want to believe Ishida got lazy or lost his touch, but it sure seems like it. Parallels alone can't carry a manga.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 4, 2017 1:31 PM

Jun 2017
my mind is really fucked up right now , this chapter killed my mood . this chapter was a big surprise ,probably one of the biggest since i've started reading anything at all , it's would've been a nice ending ,even i who's kaneki is best charecter would have accepted it if just kaneki didn't lost that fight . i was convinced that kaneki is one of the strongest beings in this manga but now he lost to 2 humans , i mean WTF ishida at least u could've added furuta as well , that way it won't suck that much.

anyway i don't think kaneki is dead . that's because the first page sound suspicious . looks like it tell the thoughts of kaneki after this event , last panels describe perfectly what kaneki would've think of after this chapter ""i think"" , also that sewer with blood dripping from it or something , could it be kanou's lab ??

secondly because of what furuta said to that kid " 'take care of Ms nugget """special treatement"""' ' . what do u mean furuta ? what special treatment ???? .

at last the "End credit" i'm not sure but could it be that ishida is just trying to give us the hardest week ever , i mean end credit could mean other stuff then just an ending announcement to this manga , he could've wrote that because he thought it would describe the next chapter as much as it would fuck our brains by making us think this is the End .
Those who are hated that need to stay in a clique have to make the effort to eliminate the
factors that can be used against them. Don’t make mistakes, don’t show your blunders,
and don’t let your weaknesses be exposed; these three points are the most important.
They’re the same thing, aren’t they?
Despite that, showcasing off your perfection as an individual can be used against you as
well. That’s why, it’s important to not do anything. If you don’t do anything, nothing will
go wrong.
Also, don’t get involved with anyone.
-HACHIMAN-
Oct 4, 2017 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
You need to understand that this chapter is not a cheap rehash of part 1's ending, nor is it a parallel for the sake of being a parallel. Both part 1 and this have different intended effects on the reader.

In part 1, Kaneki's downward spiral was built up and played out beautifully, it was made obvious that it would end in tragedy as a result of Kaneki identifying his flaws too late. By making it clear things would end in tragedy, this really depressing but engaging atmosphere is created which is Ishida's intended effect.

However, in :Re and this chapter its completely different, and while yes, shock factor plays a much larger role (and this should not always have negative connotations, it worked brilliantly here imo), its so much more than that. In the past 50 or so chapters of :Re, Ishida has seemingly been building up Kaneki for success, he's no longer suicidal, he wants to live and is taking his role as OEK seriously now.

But while its undeniable the effect Ishida want to create is for us to be shocked and feel despair, what's crucial is that the underlying senese and build up of tragedy was still there, we just never noticed because of how Kaneki was developing as a person. It's still great writing. Not once is it shown that Kaneki has moved past his fatal flaws (but yes, he has made an attampt to improve), and identifying said flaws and moving past them are two completely different things. I'm sure all of us have at least once realised we have a negative trait, but have done nothing to rectify it at that moment. In this sense, its more realistic for Kaneki to fall back on his mindset built from his childhood, especially given how weak he is mentally. He has made an effort to move past his flaws, but once he gets desperate he reverts back to how he naturally thinks, which is completely realistic.

The most understandable criticism I've seen of this chapter is that Kaneki's development was destroyed, but that's not the case, its more he hasn't developed enough. He hasn't overcome his fatal character flaws, and no that doesn't mean his character in :re was wasted at all. His transition from Haise, to the suicidal Black Reaper, to the OEK seeking motivation and reason to live, to the person he is now was still brilliantly done, and he has improved upon his flaws, but he still has a lot of room to grow and this chapter is the perfect stepping stone for that.

I also recommend giving this a read if you haven't already:
http://linkspooky.tumblr.com/post/165973792540/the-hardest-lessons-learned

removed-userOct 4, 2017 3:06 PM
Oct 4, 2017 2:14 PM

Mar 2012
smh Arima died for this.

I really don't know how to feel about this chapter.
Oct 4, 2017 2:23 PM

Dec 2009
Nothing to say, I'm speechless. I can't believe he offscreen'd Kaneki.

If he somehow makes an asspull for Kaneki to make a part 3, I highly doubt he'll reuse Kaneki losing his memories. I don't even know where he'd go from here if everyone dies.. Kaneki would be nothing but a fucking psycho.
Oct 4, 2017 8:23 PM

May 2015
fullmetal-ghoul said:
You need to understand that this chapter is not a cheap rehash of part 1's ending, nor is it a parallel for the sake of being a parallel. Both part 1 and this have different intended effects on the reader.

In part 1, Kaneki's downward spiral was built up and played out beautifully, it was made obvious that it would end in tragedy as a result of Kaneki identifying his flaws too late. By making it clear things would end in tragedy, this really depressing but engaging atmosphere is created which is Ishida's intended effect.

However, in :Re and this chapter its completely different, and while yes, shock factor plays a much larger role (and this should not always have negative connotations, it worked brilliantly here imo), its so much more than that. In the past 50 or so chapters of :Re, Ishida has seemingly been building up Kaneki for success, he's no longer suicidal, he wants to live and is taking his role as OEK seriously now.

But while its undeniable the effect Ishida want to create is for us to be shocked and feel despair, what's crucial is that the underlying senese and build up of tragedy was still there, we just never noticed because of how Kaneki was developing as a person. It's still great writing. Not once is it shown that Kaneki has moved past his fatal flaws (but yes, he has made an attampt to improve), and identifying said flaws and moving past them are two completely different things. I'm sure all of us have at least once realised we have a negative trait, but have done nothing to rectify it at that moment. In this sense, its more realistic for Kaneki to fall back on his mindset built from his childhood, especially given how weak he is mentally. He has made an effort to move past his flaws, but once he gets desperate he reverts back to how he naturally thinks, which is completely realistic.

The most understandable criticism I've seen of this chapter is that Kaneki's development was destroyed, but that's not the case, its more he hasn't developed enough. He hasn't overcome his fatal character flaws, and no that doesn't mean his character in :re was wasted at all. His transition from Haise, to the suicidal Black Reaper, to the OEK seeking motivation and reason to live, to the person he is now was still brilliantly done, and he has improved upon his flaws, but he still has a lot of room to grow and this chapter is the perfect stepping stone for that.

Great post, this makes sense. I kinda like how things have turned out, it's actually quite a realistic outcome as opposed to the usual wish fulfilment we get in story's where the hero charges in and saves the day.

In reality what happens when you try and play the hero and charge in without thinking critically is you get your ass handed to you.

Can imagine kaneki is going to end up in kanous lab for the majority of the next instalment.

Which as a poster said above, may be what the that inner monologue page refers to.
Oct 4, 2017 11:51 PM

Apr 2015
I like how ended the fight, you dont have to show 3 chapters of fighting to advance in history, look Game of Thrones, in their first seasons they just showed only one fight, and the plot was more interesting than now.
Oct 4, 2017 11:59 PM

Jan 2010
Hylian said:
Nothing to say, I'm speechless. I can't believe he offscreen'd Kaneki.

If he somehow makes an asspull for Kaneki to make a part 3, I highly doubt he'll reuse Kaneki losing his memories. I don't even know where he'd go from here if everyone dies.. Kaneki would be nothing but a fucking psycho.

Unless a certain someone brings back his sanity Kaneki still doesn't know that Hide is still alive
He is the one who save Kaneki in TG, I wouldn't be surprised if he will be the one saving him again in :re
Oct 5, 2017 12:45 AM
Oct 2015
The best possible reason for Kaneki's defeat that i can think of is that he is getting old and weak because of his eating choices
But WTF, he didn't even met Hide.
Oct 5, 2017 1:37 AM

Mar 2014
WTF this is can't be happening !!!

I refuse to believe its the end
Oct 5, 2017 7:33 AM

Aug 2014
KaiserNazrin said:
Maledict said:

All of this is completely false. First of all, Arima was not trying only at the start. Later on, when Ken brought out the kakuja and started trying himself, Arima was potentially at his strongest (because of the SSS-rate quinque) and fighting to kill. He didn't get overpowered by Ken, but he did get outsmarted.

Second, Suzuya being the second Arima is quite possibly the emptiest hype in the entire series. He has never demonstrated anything too special, nowhere near what Arima was doing, yet he's somehow considered a second coming of him? As if. This hype literally came from nowhere, Ishida just decided: ''Yeah, I'll tell 'em this, they have to believe it''. Don't know what ''Suzuya is SS'' is supposed to mean, since those are ranks given to ghouls. He has shown absolutely nothing noteworthy enough to even put him in the same sense as the guy who:

- Casually beats ghouls with an umbrella
- Effortlessly beat Shachi
- Effortlessly beat Centipede Ken
- Defeated Eto twice, while not even with both Narukami and IXA

Third, Hanbe is a nobody, the kind of nobody investigator end-of-TG Ken was taking out effortlessly with just 2 kagune appendages (when he rescued Koma and Irimi). An Arata armor on this nobody means nothing, as mindless Centipede Ken already wrecked a superior investigator with it (Shinohara), and later even defeated a way superior investigator with a better version of it while he was also armed with an S-rated lance quinque (Amon).

Oh, and what Eto and Arima envisioned him as: The King, the one to unite ghouls and create a better place for them, the strongest? Nah, screw that, let's just make Suzuya and that one guy beat him.

Lmao at Suzuya being closer to Arima than Ken, by the way. Good one.
MaledictOct 5, 2017 7:39 AM
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Oct 5, 2017 8:00 AM
Sep 2013
part of me believes that with announcement of the adaptation of this manga second half or third part in terms of anime and the way things are looking that there will be third part to this manga happening a couple of years later.
Oct 5, 2017 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
fullmetal-ghoul said:

You are stretching too hard to try justefy this. Someone being unsuccessful does not automatically equate to realism nor it makes sence in terms of how a story should be build upon.

This chapter did not make us readers by any way feel "shocked and feel despair", it is just annoying at this point because no matter how many chapters of build up are written, in the end Ishida will always ultimately just opt to go for the route that the readers least expect. No matter how much kaneki changes in terms of personality, no matter how much the author builds him up in terms of phisical strength, no matter how much he might improve himself because in the end non of that matters and Ishida will just have him lose for the sake of a "tragedy".

You could have skipped Re almost entirely because nothing substancial had changed, that is a sign of bad writting not realism. You could go on and on about how this correlates kaneki personal flaws, but in the end does that even matter at this point? 50+ chapter of progression down the toilet for what? An unorthodox/tragic ending? No, that is not a good justification.
You wouldn't forgive an anime/manga for having no real sense of progression or it constantly repeat itself, so why should Re have a pass?
Oct 5, 2017 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
SeidouTZ said:
fullmetal-ghoul said:

You are stretching too hard to try justefy this. Someone being unsuccessful does not automatically equate to realism nor it makes sence in terms of how a story should be build upon.

This chapter did not make us readers by any way feel "shocked and feel despair", it is just annoying at this point because no matter how many chapters of build up are written, in the end Ishida will always ultimately just opt to go for the route that the readers least expect. No matter how much kaneki changes in terms of personality, no matter how much the author builds him up in terms of phisical strength, no matter how much he might improve himself because in the end non of that matters and Ishida will just have him lose for the sake of a "tragedy".

You could have skipped Re almost entirely because nothing substancial had changed, that is a sign of bad writting not realism. You could go on and on about how this correlates kaneki personal flaws, but in the end does that even matter at this point? 50+ chapter of progression down the toilet for what? An unorthodox/tragic ending? No, that is not a good justification.
You wouldn't forgive an anime/manga for having no real sense of progression or it constantly repeat itself, so why should Re have a pass?

1. My point wasn't that Kaneki losing makes him a realistic character. It was his decision to do everything himself, and fall back on the flaws that he himself identifyed in part 1 that makes him realistic. In :re, we have seen him work on his flaws, he is more reliant on others now. However, when things get desperate, he falls back on the flawed mentality deeply ingrained in him since childhood, because that's human nature. This is what makes him realistic as you cannot easily move past a mentality you've had forever, even if you make a conscious effort to do so (Kaneki doesn't even realize he's made the same mistakes, Furuta has to tell him). It's not regression when it's been hinted at previously in :Re, as mentioned in the link I previously shared.

2. But yes, him losing in this situation does add an aspect of realism. In real life, a single soldier cannot save his army from being slaughtered, no matter how powerful this soldier is. Its the same here, Kaneki, the most powerful ghoul, cannot save his organisation from slaughter on his own, especially since he's aging rapidly and starving. This arc has made it clear he's nowhere near his best. And yes, the result of the fight makes perfect sense, this post details it better than I ever could.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/743nok/how_the_result_of_143s_battle_makes_sense/

And a lot has happended in :Re, I'm gonna assume you're talking about Kaneki's character since the plot has advanced a lot, and the other characters have changed. This much is pretty obvious.

Kaneki has developed a huge amount in :Re, and while he is learning the same lesson he learnt at the end of part 1 (which I think is fine), he has still changed a lot. Since Kaneki returned after chapter 50ish, we've seen him in a suicidal state without any reason to live, slowly develop into the person he is now, someone who is clearly motivated and enjoying life, improving on his flaws on his flaws in the process, during which time Ishida has also dropped hints that he hasn't completely eradicated them, as build up for this chapter. There has been progression in :Re, it's just he has a lot more room to progress. This chapter doesn't destroy the development I just talked about.

Sure, the fact he's made the same mistake may feel like his character has regressed in one department, which is why I understand the criticism. But I don't see it as such because there have been hints that he hasn't moved on, its more like Kaneki thought he moved on but hasn't, at least completely, which is why Furuta spelt out his mistakes this time in contrast to his self realisation at the end of part 1. Has any development really gone down the drain, when he didn't really complete that development in the first place?

Also, you're acting as though the series is over already and is gonna end in tragedy. We're nowhere near the end, lets not talk sbout the ending, before you know, it actually ends.
removed-userOct 5, 2017 9:38 AM
Oct 5, 2017 10:31 AM

Nov 2014
No no no no onon onononnononononno
NO NO NO NO NO
THISS CAN'T BE HAPPENING YOU PIECE OF SHIT !!!!!!! HE CAN'T DIE !!!!!!!
Oct 5, 2017 10:40 AM

Jun 2016
GAME OVER?
I demand a :retry
(pun intended)
Oct 5, 2017 10:51 AM

Aug 2014
PriestSlayer said:
Ishida could literally draw 16 panels of shit and people would still eat it up and praise the deep symbolism hidden within the pages.

At least we got some spicy tragedy am I right? Who gives a shit if we've been over this in the first manga. That Eto and Arima have thrown their life's away for the King to do nothing but sit on his ass and let his subjects get slaughtered and starve to death until he decided to do something about it. That Kaneki's character development just got reset to stage 1? Over 200 chapters and the man boiled down to the same mistakes as those in part 1. But at least we have Furuta's ebin reaction faces xDDDD.

Fuck me. Never would I have imagined that I would start drawing similarities between TG and Bleach's writing.

+++++++++++++++++++
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 76 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2016

110 by almightybismarck »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 75 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2016

111 by almightybismarck »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2016

102 by almightybismarck »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2016

103 by almightybismarck »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 72 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2016

124 by almightybismarck »»
Yesterday, 8:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.