Forum Settings
Forums

Reading manga on computer, tablet/phone or book form?

New
Do you prefer reading mangas in digital or print form?
Apr 5, 2017 12:11 PM
Jul 2011
Which form do you mostly read manga in digital or print?

If digital, do you prefer reading on tablet/iPad, smartphone or on a computer?

I prefer reading on my smartphone or actual book form. I find reading on the computer "slow" because I have to click the next page LOL..

Apr 5, 2017 4:33 PM

Jun 2013
I prefer reading on my computer, I don't like reading in small things, Sometime I do it on my phone and get sick of it after one or two characters.
Apr 5, 2017 6:47 PM

Nov 2014
I enjoy having it in my hands a lot more but i am perfectly fine with digital especially if it's a series that i love and will have it saved on my hard drive, i'll organize everything and convert them to .cbr format and use a comic book reader to read them that way instead of a browser or simply going through picture files 1 by 1.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 5, 2017 7:36 PM
Jul 2011
heinrich6745 said:
I enjoy having it in my hands a lot more but i am perfectly fine with digital especially if it's a series that i love and will have it saved on my hard drive, i'll organize everything and convert them to .cbr format and use a comic book reader to read them that way instead of a browser or simply going through picture files 1 by 1.

that's a cool idea! I will research more and try it in the future. Thanks.
Apr 5, 2017 7:54 PM

Nov 2014
AnimeAngel5 said:
heinrich6745 said:

Here's an example screenshot for you.

No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 5, 2017 8:30 PM

Dec 2016
I read a LOT more work digitally, but I prefer reading print for the aesthetic and the fresh Book Smell™

Apr 5, 2017 8:31 PM
Jul 2011
heinrich6745 said:
AnimeAngel5 said:

cool! The interface looks similar to windows picture viewer :p
Did you manually add the titles to each page?
Apr 5, 2017 8:36 PM

Nov 2014
AnimeAngel5 said:
heinrich6745 said:

With this series the majority were already set when i downloaded the original batch but the ones that weren't named with the titles i went through and added them myself because it bugged me seeing blank ones with only the chapter number. But now that i am caught up to it i will manually set the title/chapter for each new weekly release which isn't an issue.

I also tend to zip up my favorite manga into a .rar and upload them to a cloud as backup, of course on-going ones i'd have to keep doing it if i wanted to keep up to date but i only bother with it when i get so many new chapters ahead, say 10/20/30 i'd zip it up again and replace the old one in the cloud with an updated.

Oh btw when you're reading the pages you don't even have to click next as you can just use your scroll wheel which makes things smoother, i tend to put the reader in full screen and read them myself but for the screenshot i left it in a window to show the folder as well.
Apr 5, 2017 8:50 PM
Jul 2011
heinrich6745 said:
AnimeAngel5 said:

With this series the majority were already set when i downloaded the original batch but the ones that weren't named with the titles i went through and added them myself because it bugged me seeing blank ones with only the chapter number. But now that i am caught up to it i will manually set the title/chapter for each new weekly release which isn't an issue.

I also tend to zip up my favorite manga into a .rar and upload them to a cloud as backup, of course on-going ones i'd have to keep doing it if i wanted to keep up to date but i only bother with it when i get so many new chapters ahead, say 10/20/30 i'd zip it up again and replace the old one in the cloud with an updated.

Oh btw when you're reading the pages you don't even have to click next as you can just use your scroll wheel which makes things smoother, i tend to put the reader in full screen and read them myself but for the screenshot i left it in a window to show the folder as well.
heinrich6745 said:
AnimeAngel5 said:

I like reading mangas smoothly too that's why i prefer swiping haha..

Also, having those titles makes it look so much more organized and professional! I would be annoyed too if they weren't there!

I will look more into this software, it's called Comic book reader?

Apr 5, 2017 9:42 PM

Nov 2014
AnimeAngel5 said:
heinrich6745 said:

heinrich6745 said:

I like reading mangas smoothly too that's why i prefer swiping haha..

Also, having those titles makes it look so much more organized and professional! I would be annoyed too if they weren't there!

I will look more into this software, it's called Comic book reader?

Here's the download link to what i use
http://www.cdisplayex.com/

Also to convert downloaded volumes to .cbr you need to zip them and change the file extension which you can easily do by clicking "view" file explorer for example and then check "File name extensions" which allows you to see them and edit the .zip (or in my case .rar) to .cbr, once you do so a message will pop up about changing it so just hit yes.

P.S. i recommend changing each volume to .cbr like they are shown in my screenshot above because if you do multiple (or every one) then it can become a little bit of a hassle and easy to lose track of where you left off at.
Apr 6, 2017 3:58 AM

Mar 2016
I tend to prefer downloading manga and reading them in a reader like @heinrich6745 does, but I use HoneyView instead since I can read manga from .rar files with no order problems and it has a function for double pages going right to left. Though I do prefer print if there are no good scans online for a series (looking at you HxH) and if I can't do that then I resort to my phone.
Apr 6, 2017 9:20 AM

Nov 2014
Ironclad_Cobra said:
I tend to prefer downloading manga and reading them in a reader like @heinrich6745 does, but I use HoneyView instead since I can read manga from .rar files with no order problems and it has a function for double pages going right to left. Though I do prefer print if there are no good scans online for a series (looking at you HxH) and if I can't do that then I resort to my phone.

i can do double pages as well lol, just didn't show it in the picture.
Sep 20, 2017 12:50 PM

Sep 2009
Prefer to read physical copies :) Dunno why. But as I can't afford every manga I want to read, because everything is super expensive here, would anyone know the best app to read manga on ios?
Cheers~

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Sep 20, 2017 4:38 PM

Jun 2016
I read more scans than physical, but I definitely prefer physical.
Sep 20, 2017 4:57 PM

Mar 2015
I read a lot of manga(bl mostly) digitally, but I really prefer reading it in print. I like reading regular manga by print because I feel like I can focus more. Plus I can just whip it out anytime I want too.
woah there
Sep 21, 2017 7:24 AM

Apr 2017
Printed is obviously best since you get more correct translations. I've noticed that when reading Berserk.

+ you help out the author.
Sep 21, 2017 7:28 AM

Feb 2016
I mostly read digital, and thats for all manga/novels etc etc, but i do buy phyisical copies,
also when i read digital i read it mostly on a TV
Sep 21, 2017 9:38 AM
Jul 2007
The digital format is nice too, but there's nothing like reading comics in print either in libraries or at home. I can't afford to buy everything I'm interested in, but I'm fine with selecting my favorite volumes.
Sep 22, 2017 7:58 AM
Dec 2015
i've gotten used to reading on my ipod lol, screen is under 4' too
Sep 22, 2017 3:02 PM

Nov 2011
zodd0 said:

very much this. many authors, especially those working on less known series, need all the help they can get. if they don't get enough money, they can't continue their work. case in point: Sora no Method.
the author had to give up after the 1st volume...which is a shame, since the manga was well drawn / well done.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 22, 2017 3:26 PM

Nov 2016
I prefer to read the book form, but I can't be bothered to look for it in the library and stuff.
So I just usually go to kissmanga.
Sep 22, 2017 4:13 PM
Sep 2017
Personally I really like collecting manga so I prefer print or physical copies, it feels like im reading it in its true form. So I would say physical copies. Plus I like the smell of books:3 But buying all the manga a person reads can be very expensive.
SminoWasTakenSep 22, 2017 4:22 PM
Sep 22, 2017 4:16 PM
Sep 2017
SP9 said:
I read a LOT more work digitally, but I prefer reading print for the aesthetic and the fresh Book Smell™

I agree that book smell is great. I love collecting manga but its very expensive.
Sep 23, 2017 11:01 AM

Jun 2015
I haven't read too many mangas but the ones I did it's because I own them physically. I hate to read a manga on a screen, it kills the immersion and part of the fun for me.
I love the feeling of grabbing and turning the pages, holding the volume on my hands, stopping by on admiring the art of each panel. Also it's part of my collection display.

But because buying mangas is an expensive hobby I'm very careful with the works I buy, I get the series I know from the past and that I love (Dragon Ball and Death Note, nostalgia), the animes I had seen and loved and got me hooked to know what happens next (Tokyo Ghoul, Shingeki no Kyojin, Claymore, Slam Dunk) and those that because of the genre, themes or the author itself I know for sure that I will love (Berserk, Vagabond, Real and Vinland Saga).

But I may start reading some series online (from different genres) that I know aren't worth investing my money. I did that with Uzumaki some weeks ago, for example. So I can have a wider grasp of the manga industry.
Sep 23, 2017 11:23 PM
Aug 2017
I really like reading manga physically. I like the feeling of holding it in my hand, and reading it page by page.

But I read more online....
I love anime and kpop! <3 BLINK and SONE
Sep 25, 2017 9:43 PM

Jan 2014
Print. The translations are usually better and I like collecting manga so its a win/win. An expensive win.
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Oct 1, 2017 2:48 AM

May 2016
phone is a lot easier for me. don't need to read with a light on at night, can read anywhere at anytime, no need to worry about damaging the manga.

Oct 1, 2017 3:01 AM

Aug 2017
Mostly digital on my phone or laptop.
Oct 1, 2017 3:25 AM

Sep 2017
Digital of course though maybe its because its hard to acquire manga without getting to online shopping.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 1, 2017 4:12 AM

Jul 2017
Nothing beats the feel of a manga book. :-)

However, I do read online sometimes.
Oct 1, 2017 5:16 AM

Aug 2016
zodd0 said:
Printed is obviously best since you get more correct translations. I've noticed that when reading Berserk.

Not that what they did is wrong but with the One Piece manga they changed some of the names to match the 4Kids dub so Zoro ended up being Zolo in it.
So in cases like that I'd prefer digital to printed

More topics from this board

» When and how did you get introduced to manga?

ColdBlackTeaFan - Yesterday

4 by RaviDavi »»
21 minutes ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga? ( 1 2 )

Nyron - Feb 7

64 by angelqie »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » The black and blonde effect

zozv - May 21, 2015

21 by bucciest »»
Yesterday, 9:08 PM

» What chapters in fireforce have fanservice

ZAIRETHEGUY - Jun 12

3 by Entity72 »»
Yesterday, 11:58 AM

» My manga room

fc_dean - May 19

4 by Entity72 »»
Yesterday, 11:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.